Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 3/3/2015 3:29:47 PM EDT
[#1]
It looks like Abel could use some pointers on how to properly hold a handgun.

Otherwise...another great post!
Link Posted: 3/3/2015 3:32:15 PM EDT
[#2]
Here is a decent ID site to get you started on Star pistols.

http://star-firearms.com/firearms/
Link Posted: 3/3/2015 3:32:20 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Yep, the BKS is only 3oz heavier than the S&W Shield and IMHO is a far and away better built weapon. It's a joy to carry.

It got very high marks from Bill Jordan. His (as is yours) was a Starlite. Note the slightly different profile at the bottom of the front of the grip. Otherwise they are the same. Mine was made in 1972. Yours is a bit earlier.

Same size as a BM, just a alloy frame.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I got my BKS with the intention of a hard chrome/brushed stainless sort of finish but the honest patina and unique wear grew on me. It's a great little gun,exceptionally nicely pointing and very well balanced. It's too bad that Star went away before concealed carry changed the pistol market in the US,I think they had a lot of guns that would have sold well and kept the company alive. I have a Firestar 9mm as well and am on the casual lookout for one of the plastic Ultrastars,just to have it

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y86/mossie500/kerpow/IMAG1740-1.jpg

Yep, the BKS is only 3oz heavier than the S&W Shield and IMHO is a far and away better built weapon. It's a joy to carry.

It got very high marks from Bill Jordan. His (as is yours) was a Starlite. Note the slightly different profile at the bottom of the front of the grip. Otherwise they are the same. Mine was made in 1972. Yours is a bit earlier.

Quoted:

I've never seen the BKS before.  If that's it in the first pic, it looks a lot like the BM (maybe slightly longer).  Interesting.

I rescued mine from the shelf of junker pistols at a shop for if I remember correctly would have been something like $100. If I EVER see a LaFrance Nova Star conversion for sale,my credit card will melt at the speed it is run through the register to buy it. That was certainly a gun far too ahead of its time.
Link Posted: 3/3/2015 3:33:54 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 3/3/2015 3:34:14 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

I rescued mine from the shelf of junker pistols at a shop for if I remember correctly would have been something like $100. If I EVER see a LaFrance Nova Star conversion for sale,my credit card will melt at the speed it is run through the register to buy it. That was certainly a gun far too ahead of its time.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I got my BKS with the intention of a hard chrome/brushed stainless sort of finish but the honest patina and unique wear grew on me. It's a great little gun,exceptionally nicely pointing and very well balanced. It's too bad that Star went away before concealed carry changed the pistol market in the US,I think they had a lot of guns that would have sold well and kept the company alive. I have a Firestar 9mm as well and am on the casual lookout for one of the plastic Ultrastars,just to have it

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y86/mossie500/kerpow/IMAG1740-1.jpg

Quoted:

I've never seen the BKS before.  If that's it in the first pic, it looks a lot like the BM (maybe slightly longer).  Interesting.

What year is yours? Use the link above to find the date code. Likely the date code is under the stocks.
Link Posted: 3/3/2015 3:39:44 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 3/3/2015 3:47:08 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

I had one of the Ultrastars back when, interesting look/design but horrible trigger and difficult to shoot well IMO.

Still wish I had it, though, just because you don't see many of them.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
... I have a Firestar 9mm as well and am on the casual lookout for one of the plastic Ultrastars,just to have it...

I had one of the Ultrastars back when, interesting look/design but horrible trigger and difficult to shoot well IMO.

Still wish I had it, though, just because you don't see many of them.

I've been on the lookout for a Firestar M43 for over a year. I saw one at a pawn shop and went home to do some research on it then went back the next day to buy it and it was gone.
It just felt sooo good in the hand!
Nice write up OP!
Link Posted: 3/3/2015 4:50:35 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 3/3/2015 4:57:22 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Love this guy's posts.
View Quote

Same here...........he always knocks um' out of the park.

Link Posted: 3/3/2015 5:01:16 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 3/3/2015 5:07:42 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 3/3/2015 5:08:02 PM EDT
[#12]
If you want one you better order it today.  Anyone remember how OP ruined cheap Ballester Molinas?
Link Posted: 3/3/2015 5:09:38 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 3/3/2015 5:13:45 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
If you want one you better order it today.  Anyone remember how OP ruined cheap Ballester Molinas?
View Quote

Too late....Sold out.
Link Posted: 3/3/2015 5:17:51 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 3/3/2015 5:19:59 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Dang, that was quick.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Too late....Sold out.

Dang, that was quick.

If anyone still has a hankering, J&G Sales has 'em for $249.95.
Link Posted: 3/3/2015 5:22:38 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 3/3/2015 5:27:12 PM EDT
[#18]
don't these make great suppressor platforms?

DId someone make a threaded barrel for these?

Link Posted: 3/3/2015 5:34:06 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Love this guy's posts.
View Quote

Agreed. Thanks O_P!
Link Posted: 3/3/2015 5:37:09 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Love this guy's posts.
View Quote

Yep, knowledgeable and informative, coherent and used proper spelling and punctuation. Excellent pictures as well.
Sir, respectfully, a post of this caliber simply has no place in GD...

Link Posted: 3/3/2015 5:41:08 PM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 3/3/2015 6:59:55 PM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 3/3/2015 7:38:16 PM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 3/3/2015 8:17:54 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
A bump for the evening crew.

View Quote

Great stuff as usual, O_P.
Link Posted: 3/3/2015 9:02:12 PM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 3/3/2015 9:11:44 PM EDT
[#26]
I held a few when I lived in South Africa and they always impressed me as a handgun.  

I would like to buy one someday to go with my FAL.
Link Posted: 3/3/2015 9:21:14 PM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 3/3/2015 10:43:47 PM EDT
[#28]
If you ever want to do a write up on a CZ P-09, just let me know.
Link Posted: 3/4/2015 5:25:21 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
don't these make great suppressor platforms?

DId someone make a threaded barrel for these?

View Quote

There WAS an outfit named Federal Arms Corporation of America that made stainless threaded barrels for Stars.

Seems that Century Arms bought them out.
Link Posted: 3/4/2015 5:40:21 AM EDT
[#30]
Thank you for the nice review.

Odd question: Is the magazine well bigger, front to back, than a 1911?
Link Posted: 3/4/2015 9:46:22 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Thank you for the nice review.

Odd question: Is the magazine well bigger, front to back, than a 1911?
View Quote

I'll pull my Model B out tonight and measure it, but off-hand it should be smaller. If you look at a Model B by itself, it's not quite apparent, but when you set one next to a full-size 1911 you'll see it's smaller all around - almost a sort of 7/8th scale M1911.
Link Posted: 3/4/2015 10:37:32 AM EDT
[#32]
bump...

Link Posted: 3/4/2015 11:09:54 AM EDT
[#33]
Link Posted: 3/4/2015 11:42:11 AM EDT
[#34]
I had a Star 38 super many years ago. Looked a lot like a 1911.  Got it in a trade. It was a good shooter, but not really a caliber I wanted in the stable.
Ended up trading it even across for a .45 Commander.

I still have a Star .45 PD model. It's a good shooting pistol.
Link Posted: 3/4/2015 11:57:58 AM EDT
[#35]
The B Super mags are longer as they were really made for 9mm .38 (Largo).

That is why you get  "nose down" feeding problems with some 115gr fodder in some B Supers. I like 124gr fodder in the B Super. No issues.

The mag on the left is a 9mm P mag for the Star BKS. The one on the right is a B Super mag. Note how the longer 9mm .38 Largo round fits it.

That is why I can just change out the slide and use Largo in my B Super. Same mag, feeds fine.

Link Posted: 3/4/2015 12:41:56 PM EDT
[#36]
I have one of these with wood grips. The extractor is crappy though and only about half of the extractor ledge sits on the casing ridge. When the gun fires, the extractor slips off the casing causing it to either stay partly in the chamber or stove-pipe. If not for that, it would be a pretty decent and cheap gun.

I also removed the mag safety.
Link Posted: 3/4/2015 1:28:47 PM EDT
[#37]
What's the status of all the Spanish Eibar gunmakers today?
Did the polymer crowd drive them out of business?
Link Posted: 3/4/2015 3:18:12 PM EDT
[#38]
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top