BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 29
Link Posted: 8/5/2014 11:51:25 PM EDT
[#1]
Circle of truth, no judgement

I am not from Mexico , I just chose to live here,
Before I moved here I spent  better than 40 years living in  southern California.

Link Posted: 8/6/2014 12:09:01 AM EDT
[#2]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

I've worked retail for over 10 years. I've been a stocker, a salaried manager and nearly everything in between. I bust my ass every day for the peanuts that I make because pride in my work and a strong work ethic is something that I believe in, but I really hate it more than almost anything in my life. I am a very intelligent person and have the brain to be an engineer, doctor or probably anything I wanted, but I've progressed further in education than HS.

Everyone in my very large family has expressed that I should be curing cancer or something great, but I've never taken any more steps in that direction.

I'm looking into schools, but really don't know where to go at the age of 31, or honestly what I want to do.

I really need to find something that I don't hate every day, and can make a decent living for my wife and kids.  

Either way, I'll hate myself forever if I continue on in retail for another 10 years, and I feel like I fight off depression on a regular basis because of this.

I know that I could be doing so much more, and feel like I'm wasting it all.  

View Quote

Holy shit, all of this (more or less).

I didn't start college until I was 24, but after three semesters I felt like I was going to lose my mind.  I would have a class on Government, where all we did was watch Abraham Lincoln documentaries, then take a test over the first 9 chapters of the book.  I had a Speech class where I got to sit and listen to the professor rant about the dangers of alcohol and prescription drugs, and how he supported a prohibition on both to save people from themselves.  Fuck me running, I hated community college.

I dropped out and enlisted... only to be ELS after five months for medical reasons.  Back to square one.

I've been good at everything I've ever done, and learn everything I've ever tried quickly, and am mostly self taught through reading or trial and error.

So at 32 I wash fucking cars, and that's it.  I've been at this job for four years, and make 10$ an hour.  It's ridiculous, as I work with a few kids that just graduated high school and make the same money I do.  I'm only getting by because I work 50 hours or more a week.

I haven't a fucking clue where to go from here, mostly because I can't make a decision... I feel like I have too many options, but none of them are very appealing.

I envy my wife for this, she figured out what she wants very early on.  She'll be done with her Bachelors in Nursing in the next few years, and I'll probably be washing cars like a fool.

Link Posted: 8/6/2014 12:27:03 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

I didn't start college until I was 24, but after three semesters I felt like I was going to lose my mind.  I would have a class on Government, where all we did was watch Abraham Lincoln documentaries, then take a test over the first 9 chapters of the book.  I had a Speech class where I got to sit and listen to the professor rant about the dangers of alcohol and prescription drugs, and how he supported a prohibition on both to save people from themselves.  Fuck me running, I hated community college.

I dropped out and enlisted... only to be ELS after five months for medical reasons.  Back to square one.

I've been good at everything I've ever done, and learn everything I've ever tried quickly, and am mostly self taught through reading or trial and error.

So at 32 I wash fucking cars, and that's it.  I've been at this job for four years, and make 10$ an hour.  It's ridiculous, as I work with a few kids that just graduated high school and make the same money I do.  I'm only getting by because I work 50 hours or more a week.

I haven't a fucking clue where to go from here, mostly because I can't make a decision... I feel like I have too many options, but none of them are very appealing.

I envy my wife for this, she figured out what she wants very early on.  She'll be done with her Bachelors in Nursing in the next few years, and I'll probably be washing cars like a fool.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I've worked retail for over 10 years. I've been a stocker, a salaried manager and nearly everything in between. I bust my ass every day for the peanuts that I make because pride in my work and a strong work ethic is something that I believe in, but I really hate it more than almost anything in my life. I am a very intelligent person and have the brain to be an engineer, doctor or probably anything I wanted, but I've progressed further in education than HS.
Everyone in my very large family has expressed that I should be curing cancer or something great, but I've never taken any more steps in that direction.
I'm looking into schools, but really don't know where to go at the age of 31, or honestly what I want to do.

I really need to find something that I don't hate every day, and can make a decent living for my wife and kids.  

Either way, I'll hate myself forever if I continue on in retail for another 10 years, and I feel like I fight off depression on a regular basis because of this.

Where in TX are you?
Link Posted: 8/6/2014 12:32:41 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

Where in TX are you?
View Quote

Crowley/Fort Worth/Arlington, ish.

Plenty of work around me, I just haven't a clue what to focus on for a "career" as opposed to "my next job".

Link Posted: 8/6/2014 12:39:45 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Look into the construction trades, If you speak English and know which end of a screwdriver to hold on to you should be able to get an entry level job.
Link Posted: 8/6/2014 12:51:56 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Look into the construction trades, If you speak English and know which end of a screwdriver to hold on to you should be able to get an entry level job.

View Quote

I used to work for my friends Dad in high school building pole barns over the summers, and I'm tearing an engine down this week for a rebuild.  I might have the whole tool thing down, I'll let you know how it goes.

The only real issue I have with physical labor is that I'm putting off my fourth knee surgery.  I don't have too many issues with it at present, but it'll more than likely give me some issues working construction.  It certainly was enough for the USMC to kick me to the curb.

Link Posted: 8/6/2014 1:05:55 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

I used to work for my friends Dad in high school building pole barns over the summers, and I'm tearing an engine down this week for a rebuild.  I might have the whole tool thing down, I'll let you know how it goes.

The only real issue I have with physical labor is that I'm putting off my fourth knee surgery.  I don't have too many issues with it at present, but it'll more than likely give me some issues working construction.  It certainly was enough for the USMC to kick me to the curb.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Sorry to hear about your knees'.  Look into the mechanical trades.
Link Posted: 8/6/2014 1:22:00 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Did that.  Worked as a lube tech for a few years, then moved onto a Honda dealership.  Did some stints at big box stores as well.

Like I said, I can find better work if I was motivated to.  The problem is that I'm NOT motivated, and I think that has to do with not being sure what I want to do with my life.

It's like not knowing which flavor of ice cream I want to eat today, and being unable to choose.

I know I'll probably have to choose at some point, I just don't want to choose wrong I guess.  It's purely mental fuckery on my part.

Link Posted: 8/6/2014 5:28:44 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Well, what do you enjoy doing? What do you do for fun?
Link Posted: 8/6/2014 6:10:41 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

He most certainly did violate your privacy if he went looking for it, but you were also engaged in venting about him to someone outside your marriage - which is a small violation of trust in and of itself. Some partners resent and feel denigrated by such an act, and it is something fraught with hazards. Ain't judging just offering perspective.

Lots of people see no issue with bitching about your mate to someone, or feel they must, but it's a perilous thing to make a habit of (for a litany of reasons).

I don't look through my wife's email or texts, nor she me, but we are very respectful of each other in that regard. We don't talk bad about each other to our friends or family. Ever.

Trust and respect has to be a two way street. Sounds like there's some missing on both sides here - maybe his more than yours, I dunno.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

My SO snooped thru a private page between my bestie and I, where we vent about SOs, work, kids, etc, today. He's pissed at me and does not think he violated my privacy.  I am sick of this shit.

He most certainly did violate your privacy if he went looking for it, but you were also engaged in venting about him to someone outside your marriage - which is a small violation of trust in and of itself. Some partners resent and feel denigrated by such an act, and it is something fraught with hazards. Ain't judging just offering perspective.

Lots of people see no issue with bitching about your mate to someone, or feel they must, but it's a perilous thing to make a habit of (for a litany of reasons).

I don't look through my wife's email or texts, nor she me, but we are very respectful of each other in that regard. We don't talk bad about each other to our friends or family. Ever.

Trust and respect has to be a two way street. Sounds like there's some missing on both sides here - maybe his more than yours, I dunno.

I am gonna go ahead and +1 Swigset's post

Link Posted: 8/6/2014 6:12:14 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

I have an aversion to receiving gifts, Christmas, B-Day or just out of the blue ones.  Doesn't matter who they are from it just makes me terribly uncomfortable.  I would equate it to feeling like I am now obligated in someway to the person that gave it to me.  The one exception is gifts from children and by that I mean young children.

If I want something I will just buy it.  On the flip side I do like to get other people gifts but only those that are really close to me and something I know they want and can't afford, but I would be happier if they didn't get me anything in return.

Christmas for me kinda sucks as it is just an uncomfortable experience.
View Quote
I can relate to this, as well.

Link Posted: 8/6/2014 7:40:03 AM EDT
[#12]
I beat off so many times in the shower when I was younger that I still get wood when I hear water running.
Link Posted: 8/6/2014 8:39:01 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Are your head pains a throbbing or more like an ice pick behind your eye?
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Ed, have you ever been diagnosed with a gluten allergy?  What about occipital neuralgia? My better half suffers from the two.

Are your head pains a throbbing or more like an ice pick behind your eye?

My better half has gone 3 years with them. When she cuts out gluten it helps, and she recently had a nerve block injection for one half of her head. She was originally scheduled for the botox, but we stored away from it and got a second opinion and this seems to have helped.

PM me if you ever need anything.
I have both the 'icepick' and the 'pounding'. But my pounding is more like John Henry with his sledge hammer (stole it from a job site).

Here is my background; (tl;dr - got the shit beat out of me)

Oct 25, 1985 at 1:52 am, my dispatcher radioed that two men were trying to brake into the station. They were telling her that they were going to rape her. My Partner and I were only blocks away. We knew who the two men were as we had been dealing with them for the past hour trying to get them to call a ride home.

I told Denny (my Partner) to come in from the north and take the small guy and I would come in from the South and take the big guy (6-5 400-420lbs) as I knew him. As we pulled up to a stop in front of the Police Station, the two assholes were in the middle of the street and I called out the stop. I told Mike (the big guy) that he was going to jail for DC. He took an offensive stance and said 'I'm going to kill you'.

I pulled my PR-24 and hooked his left arm. His first blow to my head knocked my glasses 20 feet over my patrol car into the street. He had my baton lock and continued to hammer blows to the left side of my head. The guy had fist the size of a pigs ass. I don't know how many times he hit me. The next thing I remember is my Partner hollering my name (he was fighting the other guy, who eventually ran off). Than the blows stopped (Denny had hit Mike in the back a number of times with his baton).

Than Mike was walking around to the back of my Patrol Car. I blacked out for a few seconds. When my head cleared, I was standing at the back of my car. Mike was stalking Denny. I had to end the fight so I struck Mike across the base of the neck with my baton. He never flinched. So I threw it away and jumped on his back (I was 6-3 220lbs) and put him into a Carotid Artery Submission Hold (Choke Hold without the choking). And kicked him behind his knees. We went to the pavement hard.

When we landed, my left elbow struck the pavement and injured it. I had to grasp my left hand and pull my arm tight as I had no feeling in my left arm. My Partner had a Stun Gun (no Tasers in 1985), and was applying it directly to Mikes neck. But it had no effect on him. This whole time Mike was saying he was going to 'Kill Me'.

Finally the submission hold was having an effect and Denny was able to put a cuff on one wrist. We rolled Mike over quick and grabbing another cuff, got the other wrist. The fight had lasted 20 minutes. My dispatcher had not called for assistance from the nearby city (I reamed her ass and the Chiefs ass)

Aftermath; Mike did not do any jail time other than that weekend (that was a Saturday morning). He was sent to Eastern State for mental eval and deem incompetent to stand trial (which I already knew would happen).

The second guy with Mike, we caught that very morning on the way to court. He was standing out front of the 7-11 about 50 yards from where the fight was.

He got 1 year for Disorderly Conduct and Resisting Arrest. He did 30 days.

I got; Lost my job in 1987 after one to many fuckups because of ; Headaches, Dyslexia, Petit Mal Seizures, TMJ (broke a couple of teeth due to this), etc...........

This is what caused my headaches. I never had them before this. I don't get sick unless it is something big. I went for 5 years without using sick leave.

Ed

Since that was the year I was born I don't really know what police work was like back then but damn Ed how come that guy didn't get perforated? That is a crazy story and I'm sorry you got to live with all the bullshit this long after.

Link Posted: 8/6/2014 10:22:04 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Since that was the year I was born I don't really know what police work was like back then but damn Ed how come that guy didn't get perforated? That is a crazy story and I'm sorry you got to live with all the bullshit this long after.  
View Quote

This is what I was wondering as well as i was reading.

Maybe just because these days the cops seem trigger happy.
Link Posted: 8/6/2014 10:53:07 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Working on the car is a good time, when I have cause to or the money to upgrade something. When it works I like beating on it until something breaks.  Then I get to fix it again. I don't necessarily enjoy working on other peoples vehicles though, it was always just something I could do, so I used it to pay bills.

I can spend hours writing code for an indie MMO I play when I don't have money to spend on real hobbies. I'm not ncredibly good at it, but I can reverse engineer some existing scripts and re-purpose them in full or in parts, and test their function until I get it working right and bug free (not cheating, give some of it to game Dev's for legit use).

If I can make it with my hands, be it wood or metal, I find that fun as fuck. I blame my Dad for that one.  Sometimes I wish things would break more often.

Obviously shooting, when I can afford it or find time when ranges are open.

Should be an easy decision, but I'm apparently not good at making decisions. I might over think things.
Link Posted: 8/6/2014 12:07:16 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
If I can make it with my hands, be it wood or metal, I find that fun as fuck. I blame my Dad for that one.  Sometimes I wish things would break more often.

Should be an easy decision, but I'm apparently not good at making decisions. I might over think things.
View Quote

Have you thought about being a machinist? Metal fabrication?

This guy and this guy may be able to help you out.
Link Posted: 8/6/2014 12:32:51 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Have you ever taken a personality profile and matched a profession to yourself?  I never focused my attention to a career and I regret this.  When I was young unemployment was high and having a job was a privilege (sound familiar?). I got my degree in history and was accepted to law school.  I wanted to be an attorney but I got pregnant with my first who is autistic, so out the window my desire to go to law school and my history degree wasn't worth much.  

When I went through my divorce I really wanted to teach special Ed but the Oregon standards meant two years of undergraduate and 14 months of grad school.  I decided I would go into social work where my income would be higher.  Problem rose as Sociology is sooo liberal I was constantly locked in power play with professors.  I ended up changing majors to psychology to avoid several professors who had control over my thesis.  I figured I could get a state job after graduation but Oregon put a hirering freeze in place.  No state jobs for anyone who wasn't a state employee already.  They would literally hire non qualified care providers over me.  This went on for two years.  

I graduated in 2010 and I am just now using my education (self employed. )

So at 50 I see a man with nothing but opportunity before you.  Buck it up, find something you will enjoy and do it.
Link Posted: 8/6/2014 1:37:01 PM EDT
[#18]
I am and always have been extremely overly attracted to Rachael Ray. I don't know what it is but that woman just Fucking dings my dong. I would do everything in my power to get her pregnant lol
Link Posted: 8/6/2014 2:06:23 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
I am and always have been extremely overly attracted to Rachael Ray. I don't know what it is but that woman just Fucking dings my dong. I would do everything in my power to get her pregnant lol
View Quote

I've always felt bad for her.
Big hips and ass with just nipples.
Link Posted: 8/6/2014 3:30:05 PM EDT
[#20]
I am at a crossroads in my life and have to choose between my career and the girl I love. I am choosing my career
Link Posted: 8/6/2014 3:31:19 PM EDT
[#21]
I tend to be depressive, especially when I start thinking about how I have never had a girlfriend but all my friends are married now,  and am angry a lot more than I used to be.
I like drinking alone.
Link Posted: 8/6/2014 3:41:47 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

Me either. She's barely above Kristen Stewart on my fuck-o-meter
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I don't think Emma Watson is even remotely close to as attractive as a lot of people think she is.

Me either. She's barely above Kristen Stewart on my fuck-o-meter

I wouldn't fuck Kristen Stewart with your dick!  She just looks...weird.
Link Posted: 8/6/2014 5:02:01 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

What's wrong with that?
Link Posted: 8/6/2014 5:25:40 PM EDT
[#24]
I just bought a Glock for the first time, and I kind of like it. This is from an guy that owns 3 XD's.
Link Posted: 8/6/2014 5:34:03 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

What's wrong with that?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

What's wrong with that?

She has all of the worst features with none of the benefits?
Link Posted: 8/6/2014 7:03:37 PM EDT
[#26]
I've struggled with depression on and off since I was a kid, to the point that for a long time I believed it was just a part of my personality.

Depression for me manifests as a feeling of emptiness.  Not happy, sad, angry, just... blank.

I think I'd rather be sad.
Link Posted: 8/6/2014 7:27:38 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Circle of truth, no judgement

I am not from Mexico , I just chose to live here,
Before I moved here I spent  better than 40 years living in  southern California.

View Quote

What I saw of Mexico on my two motorcycle trips there was pretty nice. The people were really nice, too.
That was some years back though.
Link Posted: 8/6/2014 7:30:06 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Also look into the Mike Rowe Foundation.. they couldn't GIVE away diesel mechanic full ride scholarships because nobody really wants to work these days. They also offer scholarships to a variety of other trades.

Link Posted: 8/6/2014 8:36:42 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

Also look into the Mike Rowe Foundation.. they couldn't GIVE away diesel mechanic full ride scholarships because nobody really wants to work these days. They also offer scholarships to a variety of other trades.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

This.

If I was to actually decide to finish school and not use my GI Bill, I'd go straight there.  Mike Rowe has earned my respect as a person who really wants America to have a better future by focusing on the work ethic of the past.
Link Posted: 8/6/2014 8:42:02 PM EDT
[#30]
Getting PRK surgery tomorrow. Sort of nervous and excited.
Link Posted: 8/6/2014 8:42:54 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
View Quote

PRK?

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 8/6/2014 8:45:01 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

PRK

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

PRK

Link Posted: 8/6/2014 8:58:01 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

PRK

Ah, gotcha.

Never seen glasses on you in your pics.  Do you wear contacts, or just dont need glasses all the time?

Link Posted: 8/6/2014 9:12:07 PM EDT
[#34]
This thread is depressing
Link Posted: 8/6/2014 9:16:35 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

Ah, gotcha.

Never seen glasses on you in your pics.  Do you wear contacts, or just dont need glasses all the time?

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

PRK

Ah, gotcha.

I've worn contacts since I was 14, been in glasses since I was 8. I loathe the way I look in glasses.
Link Posted: 8/6/2014 9:35:36 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

I've worn contacts since I was 14, been in glasses since I was 8. I loathe the way I look in glasses.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

PRK

Ah, gotcha.

Right there with ya. I can't wait to get eye surgery, but we put all our extra money toward our new house. I've waited this long, I guess I'll wait a little longer.
Link Posted: 8/6/2014 9:38:59 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

PRK

Ah, gotcha.

Yeah, I think Id opt for the surgery, too.

Well, good luck with the surgery!

Link Posted: 8/6/2014 9:39:29 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

Right there with ya. I can't wait to get eye surgery, but we put all our extra money toward our new house. I've waited this long, I guess I'll wait a little longer.
View Quote

Your avatar wouldn't be the same.
Link Posted: 8/6/2014 9:47:03 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I was wearing contacts in that pic.

Day to day, I've switched to glasses for convenience, but I'll wear contacts when I'm shooting or on the water (like in my avatar).
Link Posted: 8/6/2014 10:07:30 PM EDT
[#40]

I've always wondered how much fingernails/toenails clippings that I produce annually.

I've considered conducting an actual clipping/saving experiment, but Mrs Reno told me "no."

Link Posted: 8/7/2014 8:22:49 AM EDT
[#41]
I enjoy the smell of gasoline.

(But I don't huff it or anything.  Or do I?)

Link Posted: 8/7/2014 8:42:20 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

View Quote

I hate cocaine but I love the way it smells.  
Link Posted: 8/7/2014 8:56:24 AM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:

View Quote

Best of luck today.

Link Posted: 8/7/2014 8:57:48 AM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:

View Quote
Love the smell of coffee but don't drink it.

Link Posted: 8/7/2014 9:01:31 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yeah, I'm the same way, except I will have a cup on rare occasion.

Except for one time while vacationing in a cabin right on the lake somewhere up in Canada.  It was awesome to wake up early in the morning, sit out on the deck, and look over the lake with the morning sun shining on it, while drinking a cup of coffee.  Had coffee every morning I was there.

Link Posted: 8/7/2014 9:13:21 AM EDT
[#46]
I hate myself for waiting til the age of 24 to go to college. I could've been a doctor by now or had a phd and some amazing paying job. Instead I do glass work for $14.50/hr in the Florida sun with absolutely no benefits

And now when I get my AA next semester I feel like it won't do me shit
Link Posted: 8/7/2014 12:54:22 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
I hate myself for waiting til the age of 24 to go to college. I could've been a doctor by now or had a phd and some amazing paying job. Instead I do glass work for $14.50/hr in the Florida sun with absolutely no benefits

View Quote

Dude, you should go to school for nursing. I've it friends going to scho for two years and making $25 an hour as soon as they are done.
Link Posted: 8/7/2014 3:14:03 PM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:
Dude, you should go to school for nursing. I've it friends going to scho for two years and making $25 an hour as soon as they are done.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

That's what the fiancé is doing. Well not a nurse. She's gonna a nurse anesthetist (sp?)

Then she'll be the breadwinner
Link Posted: 8/7/2014 3:28:03 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

PRK

Ah, gotcha.

Link Posted: 8/7/2014 3:30:06 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

all of these things.

I actually prefer the smell of diesel and jet fuel. reminds me of the airport and travel to other places, which ive always had good experiences with.
Page / 29
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top