BCM
User Panel

Page / 6
Link Posted: 3/24/2014 10:19:32 PM EDT
[#1]
cool
Link Posted: 3/25/2014 2:40:18 PM EDT
[#2]
Last year I bought a couple of dongles to play with in addition to my scanners.  Got it working briefly before having some problem and not messing with it for a while.
Re-installed everything last night and now I've got RTL1090 running and  decoding mode-s signals.  

I used to have an Airnav Radarbox for mode-s, but it failed and I sent it back to them in the UK for repair after I asked for a quote and they just said they'd take care of it.  Instead a month later I get a letter from there repair shop wanting the equivalent of $130. I didn't bother with that, and Radarbox themselves hasn't even bother to contact me and reply to an email quoting everything they said in emails and on their forum.

I've temporarily rigged the dongle to a high-quality mode-s antenna.  Just had to order an SMA>BNC connector to make for a real connection.  Working well so far though as it is.

For those not in the know about mode-s, if it so interests you, look for the mode-s hex codes beginning with AE0, AE1, AE2 and the high range of ADF.  These are US military.  

Right now I've got OPEC29 USAF KC-10 83-0082,  JOSA442 USAF C-21 84-0095 and R1863 US Army C-37A 02-1863 passing through my area.

Also REACH201T C-17 97-0041 on a presidential trip-related mission (the T suffix indicates this)
Link Posted: 3/25/2014 3:15:24 PM EDT
[#3]
Mine should be here Friday.

This is the software I am going to try and use with mine, a little more portable than using a desktop PC.

Link Posted: 3/25/2014 3:32:27 PM EDT
[#4]
Damnit.  When will I learn an arfcom thread claiming to save me money will never save me any money?  
Link Posted: 3/26/2014 3:57:13 AM EDT
[#5]
Here is someone using one on a commercial flight, not sure if that is frowned upon or not.

Link Posted: 3/26/2014 5:00:10 AM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Damnit.  When will I learn an arfcom thread claiming to save me money will never save me any money?  
View Quote

Over the years, this site has cost me thousands of dollars.

I thought black rifle disease was bad, but when these guys got me into ham radio a few years ago I was screwed.

Had no idea what I was in for

Currently have several P25 digital capable two-way mobiles and portables, both UHF and VHF, and I shudder to think about the money I have tied up in them.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 3/26/2014 5:03:15 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

I thought black rifle disease was bad, but when these guys got me into ham radio a few years ago I was screwed.

Currently have several P25 digital capable two-way mobiles and portables, both UHF and VHF, and I shudder to think about the money I have tied up in them.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

You'da spent those thousands anyway.  You'd just have less cool shit.  
Link Posted: 3/26/2014 5:09:05 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
View Quote

There is that I suppose

Tried to think of a snarky retort to deny what you said...but you were right...

Link Posted: 3/26/2014 5:11:16 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

There is that I suppose

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

There is that I suppose

I was a ham before the $45 thread, but that thread must have made Baofeng millions.
Link Posted: 3/26/2014 5:14:50 AM EDT
[#10]
USPS tracking says mine is at the local Post Office, should get it today, hopefully.

Already have SDR Touch downloaded. Don't have the upconverter I ordered yet to get HF.

Link Posted: 3/26/2014 5:21:01 AM EDT
[#11]
Is it possible to scan/receive a cell phone number, just for educational purposes only.

Link Posted: 3/26/2014 5:42:03 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
  I was a ham before the $45 thread, but that thread must have made Baofeng millions.
View Quote

I'll bet it did

When that thread was started I needed more portables like I needed a third nostril, but I couldn't help myself either...

Link Posted: 3/26/2014 6:10:53 AM EDT
[#13]
Tag for sure
Link Posted: 3/26/2014 6:45:32 AM EDT
[#14]
I have a similar device, Pinnacle  8241019902. Any software available to do similar stuff?

Link Posted: 3/26/2014 7:14:31 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Is it possible to scan/receive a cell phone number, just for educational purposes only.

View Quote

If analog still worked it would be possible.    With CDMA, TDMA, and GSM you are going to need a little more equipment.  

You can receive pager messages, but it is not legal.
Link Posted: 3/26/2014 9:30:48 AM EDT
[#16]
Mailman dropped it off a little while ago, easy to get up and running.

As others have said, the antenna blows, I will need to get some adaptors to use a better antenna. Can't even get the local airport my Yaesu handheld pulls in easily.

One thing cool about the SDR Touch software is I can put the tablet running it on my network and control it from my main computer if I want.

Quick video just tuning around the FM dial.

Link Posted: 3/26/2014 9:37:40 AM EDT
[#17]
In, since I just got in to SDR.

I started with the dongle, tuned around and found out about the trunking software.   ADS-B for tracking planes.  WxtoImg and Orbitron for pulling satellite images.  Lots of fun for 15 bucks!

Since I was spending so much time with it, I recently picked up an AFEDRI Net SDR and am building different antennas to see how far out I can get.

Great hobby.  
Link Posted: 3/26/2014 10:09:43 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

I started with the dongle, tuned around and found out about the trunking software.   ADS-B for tracking planes.  WxtoImg and Orbitron for pulling satellite images.  Lots of fun for 15 bucks!

Since I was spending so much time with it, I recently picked up an AFEDRI Net SDR and am building different antennas to see how far out I can get.

Great hobby.  
View Quote

Can you (or someone else) explain to me about using this thing for digital trunking systems?  Or point me to a good resource?  I see conflicting things on the net about it.  Some make it sound like they're doing it with just one dongle, some say you must have two dongles (one for the control channel, one for the audio), some say that one works but two makes it easier, etc.  Some say XYZ software works great but ABC software doesn't work at all, others say ABC software is required.

Can one dongle with SDR# (with plugins?) do the job?
Link Posted: 3/26/2014 10:24:30 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

Can you (or someone else) explain to me about using this thing for digital trunking systems?  Or point me to a good resource?  I see conflicting things on the net about it.  Some make it sound like they're doing it with just one dongle, some say you must have two dongles (one for the control channel, one for the audio), some say that one works but two makes it easier, etc.  Some say XYZ software works great but ABC software doesn't work at all, others say ABC software is required.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Great hobby.  

I'll look into it sometime today if I have time.    A standard trunk tracking scanner only has one reciever.   I believe it monitors the control channel, then jumps to a channel that has been assigned when someone keys up.
Link Posted: 3/26/2014 10:39:45 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

There are all in one antennas, but they will not perform as well as a purpose built antenna.   I have 4 antennas on my house.    A G5RV, a 2 meter omni, 2 meter beam, and 70cm beam.    

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
What would be a mo betta antenna for this and how far can you run the cables?

An antenna can be just a piece of wire cut to the right length.  The antenna you need depends on the frequencies you are interested in.

The longer you run the cable, the more signal you lose.  You want the antenna as high as possible, so it is a trade off.

Is there anything that can do it all? And, if I run it outside and up a tall tree, say 100' total, will I recieve more or less?

There are wide band antennas.  What you're looking for would be called a "Discone" antenna.

Yeah, that high, you would receive quite a bit more.

http://pimages.solidsignal.com/ST4_medlrg.jpg

There are all in one antennas, but they will not perform as well as a purpose built antenna.   I have 4 antennas on my house.    A G5RV, a 2 meter omni, 2 meter beam, and 70cm beam.    

But a discone like that will do a pretty good job on the freqs they are interested in.  Those you listed are shitty on most of the freqs they need.
Link Posted: 3/26/2014 10:45:23 AM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 3/26/2014 10:52:05 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
So, does this thing receive in all modes?
View Quote

Yes.
Link Posted: 3/26/2014 10:55:08 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

But a discone like that will do a pretty good job on the freqs they are interested in.  Those you listed are shitty on most of the freqs they need.
View Quote

I listed those to show that it is best to buy an antenna tuned for the frequency you want.   An All-in-oneder anything is going to have drawbacks.
Link Posted: 3/26/2014 11:14:25 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

View Quote

I went to pull the links I used (a Reddit link that leads to may other links telling you how to set up the control channel monitor, UniTrunker software, the voice channel receiver and DSD [Digital Speech Decoder] to listen to digitally encoded signals) but saw this update:

http://www.rtl-sdr.com/rtl-sdr-tutorial-following-trunked-radio-unitrunker/

RTL-SDR is a great site and this method looks a little easier to set up.  It still takes two dongles, though.

There are a lot of other great articles on that site.  For example:

Aircraft tracking with ADSB#:  http://www.rtl-sdr.com/adsb-aircraft-radar-with-rtl-sdr/

That was quite easy to set up, and even with the stock antenna I was tracking many aircraft in my location.  

Radio signal identification guide:  http://www.rtl-sdr.com/signal-identification-guide/

Those samples have helped me determine what I am hearing, and how to decode it.  I usually use fldigi to decode CW, RTTY, WEFAX and other common modes.  

There are also articles about my latest interest, picking up NOAA satellite transmissions.  I need to build a specialized antenna and get a bit more patience for a good flyover, though!

Link Posted: 3/26/2014 11:21:43 AM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

You can use this with unitrunker and two dongles, watch/listen to calls in real time.  Pretty neat.

So you'd have to buy two of these?
Yes

Link Posted: 3/26/2014 11:22:57 AM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

I'll look into it sometime today if I have time.    A standard trunk tracking scanner only has one reciever.   I believe it monitors the control channel, then jumps to a channel that has been assigned when someone keys up.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Great hobby.  

You only need one.  But having two will work better for a bunch of reasons, and it allows you to visually see calls going while you're listening.

Link Posted: 3/26/2014 11:34:37 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
You only need one.  But having two will work better for a bunch of reasons, and it allows you to visually see calls going while you're listening.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Great hobby.  

Yeah, that's what I am seeing.   With only one, you have to manually uncheck a function in SDR# after each call.   I will probably use one of my other radios as the control radio.  I have 15 or so laying around.  
Link Posted: 3/26/2014 12:09:51 PM EDT
[#28]
OMG.  This thread.  I hate you.  All of you.  Now, where's my wallet?
Link Posted: 3/26/2014 1:00:12 PM EDT
[#29]
I got the plane tracking working with the stock antenna (barely, weak signal)

Link Posted: 3/26/2014 2:02:56 PM EDT
[#30]
Dammit.  You guys are making me spend money. I have one on the way.  With Nellis nearby, I have no doubt my scope will light up as soon as I plug in the antenna.
Link Posted: 3/26/2014 2:14:06 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
This thread is relevant to my interests....
View Quote

Link Posted: 3/26/2014 2:15:13 PM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

View Quote

Yeah that everything encrypted in jax kinda sucks.

Link Posted: 3/26/2014 5:05:44 PM EDT
[#33]
Link Posted: 3/27/2014 1:48:40 AM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

View Quote

I bought a ADS-B antenna on eBay from a seller in Poland.

It will probably take 4 weeks or so to get here from there, but should really let me track aircraft much better.
Link Posted: 3/27/2014 5:37:19 AM EDT
[#35]
Dang, I ordered two and a cable to convert to coax.

Link Posted: 3/27/2014 10:18:19 AM EDT
[#36]
Just bought one, thanks again arfcom! Here is a little more information I found about using this with a trunked system. It only uses one receiver but does state two will work much better( as has been stated here already)

https://sites.google.com/site/policescannerhowto/
Link Posted: 3/27/2014 11:04:55 AM EDT
[#37]
I went and got the Updated drivers for my Pinnacle PCTV USB. It's working now too. It won't work with the SDR software but I can watch analog and digital TV now.   Does anyone have suggestions for attenannas for these SDR.

Link Posted: 3/27/2014 11:11:48 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Does anyone have suggestions for attenannas for these SDR.
View Quote

That is a great question.  I am no radio expert so I looked in to it, and there are many theories and types of antennas depending on your goals.

An easy first step would be a random longwire antenna.  Get a long piece of wire, get a way to connect it up to the connector on the dongle.  This is what I use for shortwave bands- I have a 53' longwire, but need it to go much longer for some bands I want to pick up.   (Great for 0-30MHz, lower than the dongle goes stock, but was still a nice upgrade and I already had it set up for my shortwave, anyway.)

If you are doing scanning in those common bands, places like Radio Shack sell a discone scanner antenna.  That might be the way to go if you are looking around the range of the dongle, they seem to cover that well.

For certain things like airplane tracking and picking up weather satellites there are specialized antennas, but I think a longwire or discone would be a good first choice to try.
Link Posted: 3/27/2014 11:27:05 AM EDT
[#39]
Thanks.

I want to try to receive the local trunked radios and the marine and aircraft locator signals.

Link Posted: 3/27/2014 11:46:36 AM EDT
[#40]
Hmmmmmm

Link Posted: 3/27/2014 12:20:59 PM EDT
[#41]
That is pretty slick.  I was considering putting my dongle in an Altoids tin for shielding, but that box is bombproof.

I wound up using a USB extension to get it further away from the computer and the RF and heat it generates.
Link Posted: 3/27/2014 12:26:11 PM EDT
[#42]
tag...
Link Posted: 3/27/2014 12:46:15 PM EDT
[#43]
Put this in my Amazon wish list a few days ago.  Ordered a BluRay player last night and saw it.  Added it to the order.  I have no idea what it really does but hoping it will provide some cheap time wasting...
Link Posted: 3/27/2014 3:11:48 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

Yeah, that is the one I was talking about above.  Specs are the same, but I posted a link to the one I actually have.    They should be identical.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Yeah, that is the one I was talking about above.  Specs are the same, but I posted a link to the one I actually have.    They should be identical.

I got that one, but it only came with the hardware -  just the dongle, remote, and antenna.  No software, no CD, no documentation.

So where do you start for a PC?
Link Posted: 3/27/2014 3:50:16 PM EDT
[#45]
People are doing all kinds of interesting things with these

Link Posted: 3/27/2014 4:30:51 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

I got that one, but it only came with the hardware -  just the dongle, remote, and antenna.  No software, no CD, no documentation.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Watch this video:

Link Posted: 3/27/2014 4:30:52 PM EDT
[#47]
I set it up on my windows pc and it tracks better with that software.

Link Posted: 3/27/2014 4:52:47 PM EDT
[#48]
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Watch this video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ySm9mjCmq0g

Thanks!
Link Posted: 3/27/2014 5:16:47 PM EDT
[#49]
And even better tracking with this open source software. All on the cheap ass antenna indoors it came with.

Wait until I get the real antenna I ordered and installed outdoors.

Link Posted: 3/27/2014 5:55:52 PM EDT
[#50]
Mine came in today.  That is a DINKY antenna.

Now, I need an antenna adapter.  And a Raspberry Pi, with a touchscreen kit.

Even with all that, this will only be about $65.

Page / 6
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top