Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 10
Link Posted: 12/6/2014 10:37:55 AM EDT
[#1]
so im a lazy fuck who doesnt want to search for all the parts needed. Can you IM me all the links or just post them here
Link Posted: 12/6/2014 10:40:04 AM EDT
[#2]
I have YHM QD FLASH SUPPRESSOR mounts on all my rifles, AR15 in 556/300blk and an AR 10, even a .308 16.5 inch  bolt gun...I had planned on getting one YHM Ti suppressor to run on all of them...recently I bought a Simplistic Shooting Solutions Brake Sheild for an AR pistol (7.5") in aneffort to tame this beast...

Any opinions of using some of the same ttechniques and materials here to incorporate the SSS Brake Sheild into a  form 1'able Ti suppressor?

Seems to me the suppressor tube (if SS) could be tig welded to the brake sheild and it (the brake sheild) would function as blast chamber and a shoulder for the first baffle...or that the Ti tube could be threaded inside and the brake sheild threaded outside so the Ti tube could be threaded onto the brake sheild...this would also allow the flash suppressor to act as a piston of sorts if I understand this at all...AND allow QD mounting...SSS makes their brake sheild to fit SUREFIRE AND AAC QD mounts..they are about $65...this design would also allow for the use of only one end cap offseting costs...would be really nice if SSS would make the unit 8-9-10 inches long but I think they were trying not to makeit so easy to make illegal suppressors so...easy...
Link Posted: 12/6/2014 11:01:10 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 12/6/2014 11:01:38 AM EDT
[#4]
Time to go get my trust notarized and get on this.

A little intimidating, as I've never done anything like this, no machining experience, never submitted a form one, etc...  However I'm not an idiot when it comes to using tools and following directions, so just maybe I won't blow myself up.
Link Posted: 12/6/2014 11:02:18 AM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Jesus, do you want someone to build it for you too? There's a link on the first page to the thread with every bit of info you could need.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
so im a lazy fuck who doesnt want to search for all the parts needed. Can you IM me all the links or just post them here

Jesus, do you want someone to build it for you too? There's a link on the first page to the thread with every bit of info you could need.

sure why not? Know of an SOT that will?
Link Posted: 12/6/2014 11:02:32 AM EDT
[#6]
It should be mentioned that purchasing "suppressor parts" is illegal. If you buy the sdtac tube, end caps and brake with the intent to assemble a suppressor you are breaking the law. Most people posting these pictorial instruction posts are buying the tube and caps as a solvent trap prior to filing a form 1. Once they receive a stamp they buy freeze plugs and drill the caps. Just FYI
Link Posted: 12/6/2014 11:09:40 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

It should be mentioned that purchasing "suppressor parts" is illegal. If you buy the sdtac tube, end caps and brake with the intent to assemble a suppressor you are breaking the law. Most people posting these pictorial instruction posts are buying the tube and caps as a solvent trap prior to filing a form 1. Once they receive a stamp they buy freeze plugs and drill the caps. Just FYI
View Quote
what is a solvent trap? no, for serious, what is it?

Eta: figured it out, thanks google
Link Posted: 12/6/2014 11:13:46 AM EDT
[#8]
Tagging this one for sure
Link Posted: 12/6/2014 11:17:39 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Actually, yes.
Link Posted: 12/6/2014 11:23:27 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
View Quote

Serious question and not trying to skirt the law in any way.  Just trying to gather as much information as possible.   At what point is it going to be considered you having a "suppressor"?  If you bought all of the parts needed to make one but have not drilled the first hole in one of the freeze plugs or formed the first baffle, would it be illegal even though you purchased the parts legally?
Link Posted: 12/6/2014 11:27:58 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
Serious question and not trying to skirt the law in any way.  Just trying to gather as much information as possible.   At what point is it going to be considered you having a "suppressor"?  If you bought all of the parts needed to make one but have not drilled the first hole in one of the freeze plugs or formed the first baffle, would it be illegal even though you purchased the parts legally?
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Unfortunately it doesn't matter. If you buy the threaded tube with the intent to use it to assemble a suppressor it's illegal, whether you have a completed form 1 stamp or not. Have you noticed there aren't any "assemble a suppressor" kits out there for easy form 1 builds? It isn't because there's no market...

Link Posted: 12/6/2014 11:30:01 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Unfortunately it doesn't matter. If you buy the threaded tube with the intent to use it to assemble a suppressor it's illegal, whether you have a completed form 1 stamp or not. Have you noticed there aren't any "assemble a suppressor" kits out there for easy form 1 builds? It isn't because there's no market...  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

That's a very good point.  I just like knowing before I dive into something like this because I am not big enough to play chase in a prison shower
Link Posted: 12/6/2014 11:30:11 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Renaissance men.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
That you build with minimal tools required, and only a 35 day wait via E Forms.... And yes it sounds just as good as the SDN-6's I've shot on the same gun...

Specs:   (Made with SD Tactical Components...)

Weight: 17oz
Length: 8.6" (Tube is 7.6", large endcaps add .5" each, there are slimmer versions coming)
How To LINK

(Most of this video is under a roof, which makes it appear louder, the cell phone video (on the right) is more accurrate sounding.)

http://youtu.be/FGAjlHmh0tY

Renaissance men.  

See how easy it is to make suppressors... hint hint!
Link Posted: 12/6/2014 11:54:35 AM EDT
[#14]
anyone find the TI tube? I can't find it on their site
Link Posted: 12/6/2014 12:02:34 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Actually, yes.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Actually, yes.

Link Posted: 12/6/2014 12:07:22 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

I have YHM QD FLASH SUPPRESSOR mounts on all my rifles, AR15 in 556/300blk and an AR 10, even a .308 16.5 inch  bolt gun...I had planned on getting one YHM Ti suppressor to run on all of them...recently I bought a Simplistic Shooting Solutions Brake Sheild for an AR pistol (7.5") in aneffort to tame this beast...

Any opinions of using some of the same ttechniques and materials here to incorporate the SSS Brake Sheild into a  form 1'able Ti suppressor?

Seems to me the suppressor tube (if SS) could be tig welded to the brake sheild and it (the brake sheild) would function as blast chamber and a shoulder for the first baffle...or that the Ti tube could be threaded inside and the brake sheild threaded outside so the Ti tube could be threaded onto the brake sheild...this would also allow the flash suppressor to act as a piston of sorts if I understand this at all...AND allow QD mounting...SSS makes their brake sheild to fit SUREFIRE AND AAC QD mounts..they are about $65...this design would also allow for the use of only one end cap offseting costs...would be really nice if SSS would make the unit 8-9-10 inches long but I think they were trying not to makeit so easy to make illegal suppressors so...easy...
View Quote

The YHM can contacts at two points - the ACME threads and the end of the flash hider. That shield only touches the ACME threads. You'd need to fabricate and weld something onto the end of the shield to stabilize against the end of the flash hider. Then weld your endcap and tube onto the shield. It's certainly a lot easier than fabricating your own mount from scratch.

Here's how you guys can improve performance. Cut out a section of the aperture as shown in these Specwar baffle pics. This is also the same baffle used in the Saker. Do NOT do this to the blast baffle. If you are not using a brake like in the OP, you should make the blast baffle flatter and keep it symmetric.

Link Posted: 12/6/2014 12:10:55 PM EDT
[#17]
taggage
Link Posted: 12/6/2014 12:13:07 PM EDT
[#18]
Tag for later
Link Posted: 12/6/2014 12:19:33 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Hmm, if I bought a fake suppressor that goes over the barrel to give it the SBR look also, would that be illegal?

To complete it justneeds baffles and an end cap.
Link Posted: 12/6/2014 12:23:21 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

What?  Even if you have the compled F1 stamp?  I dont get it
Link Posted: 12/6/2014 12:24:13 PM EDT
[#21]

Oh so tagged...

Link Posted: 12/6/2014 12:29:04 PM EDT
[#22]
Ok...I follow you on the 2 pts of contact...but if one were to first get their form 1 (for the ATF guys monitoring) then thread the outer tube portion of the brake sheild, then thread the Ti tube and screw it on like a sleeve over the brake sheild would not the internal lip (now) shoulder of the brake sheild now function as a concentric contact point for the first baffle?

Quoted:

The YHM can contacts at two points - the ACME threads and the end of the flash hider. That shield only touches the ACME threads. You'd need to fabricate and weld something onto the end of the shield to stabilize against the end of the flash hider. Then weld your endcap and tube onto the shield. It's certainly a lot easier than fabricating your own mount from scratch.

Here's how you guys can improve performance. Cut out a section of the aperture as shown in these Specwar baffle pics. This is also the same baffle used in the Saker. Do NOT do this to the blast baffle. If you are not using a brake like in the OP, you should make the blast baffle flatter and keep it symmetric.

http://i.imgur.com/lDsrSdW.jpg

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

http://i.imgur.com/lDsrSdW.jpg

Link Posted: 12/6/2014 12:32:15 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Yeah, unfortunately regardless of stamp status or possession purchasing a "suppressor part" is illegal. The worst part of all is a "suppressor part" will be arbitrarily defined by the BATF should they decide to push the issue. Does it make sense? no. That doesn't change the fact that filing a form 1 than purchasing one of the threaded SDTACTICAL tubes to make a suppressor is illegal. The way people are getting around this is by making a "solvent trap" with the tube and end caps first, next filing a form 1 and upon receipt drilling the endcaps and purchasing baffles.

It's up to you to decide just how grey you want to get...
Link Posted: 12/6/2014 12:32:23 PM EDT
[#24]
ARGHHHH   ANOTHER HOBBY!!!!   Thanks arfcom  
Link Posted: 12/6/2014 12:34:03 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

Yeah, unfortunately regardless of stamp status or possession purchasing a "suppressor part" is illegal. The worst part of all is a "suppressor part" will be arbitrarily defined by the BATF should they decide to push the issue. Does it make sense? no. That doesn't change the fact that filing a form 1 than purchasing one of the threaded SDTACTICAL tubes to make a suppressor is illegal. The way people are getting around this is by making a "solvent trap" with the tube and end caps first, next filing a form 1 and upon receipt drilling the endcaps and purchasing baffles.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

And I'll add they actually do make good solvent traps

Link Posted: 12/6/2014 12:35:31 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

Ok...I follow you on the 2 pts of contact...but if one were to first get their form 1 (for the ATF guys monitoring) then thread the outer tube portion of the brake sheild, then thread the Ti tube and screw it on like a sleeve over the brake sheild would not the internal lip (now) shoulder of the brake sheild now function as a concentric contact point for the first baffle?

View Quote

I'm not following on this part.

Link Posted: 12/6/2014 12:52:17 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Basically the brake sheilds end will function as a blast baffle allowing the next baffles to rest on top of it much like a spacer...
Link Posted: 12/6/2014 12:56:30 PM EDT
[#28]
Yes, that would work, but I wouldn't do it with freeze plugs. This contact point gives the stiffness needed to keep the whole can straight on the mount. I'd lathe turn a piece of 4000 series steel and weld it to the tube. Then put freeze plugs after that.
Link Posted: 12/6/2014 1:11:07 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Wanna know what I hate most about Minnesota?...

View Quote

Al Franken?????
Link Posted: 12/6/2014 1:22:42 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

That you build with minimal tools required, and only a 35 day wait via E Forms.... And yes it sounds just as good as the SDN-6's I've shot on the same gun...

Length: 8.6" (Tube is 7.6", large endcaps add .5" each, there are slimmer versions coming)

How To LINK

(Most of this video is under a roof, which makes it appear louder, the cell phone video (on the right) is more accurrate sounding.)

Nice illegal weapon Enjoy your time in fed butt fuck prison

Wow, maybe in newyorkastan, but in many places this is just a two stamp weapon. SBR's, and silencers are legal if you follow proper procedure you douche.

http://i0.kym-cdn.com/photos/images/newsfeed/000/200/420/BRTky.jpg?1321408042
It's obvious that you don't have a clue about what you're talking about. How about you just sit in the corner while the adults are talking. You just might learn something .

Link Posted: 12/6/2014 1:26:31 PM EDT
[#31]
Link Posted: 12/6/2014 1:51:09 PM EDT
[#32]
Omg I don't have money for this... I am going to need a third job.
Link Posted: 12/6/2014 1:59:06 PM EDT
[#33]
Nice, I'm gonna have to do this.  I love projects like this.
Link Posted: 12/6/2014 2:04:19 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
OK, you've got my attention.

I can't find the TI tube on SD's website.
View Quote

There is no Ti tube on SD's website.

The Ti tube that everyone is using with the SDTA end caps is from Apogee.

http://apogeeproducts.com/products

Link Posted: 12/6/2014 2:25:15 PM EDT
[#35]
tag
Link Posted: 12/6/2014 2:35:54 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
OK, you've got my attention.

I can't find the TI tube on SD's website.

No...

SD Tactical will have the Titanium tube available next Wed. You can call and get on a waiting list. I got one early.
Link Posted: 12/6/2014 2:36:40 PM EDT
[#37]
sdtactical has the titanium tubes, but they aren't listed yet. you have to call...
Link Posted: 12/6/2014 2:43:33 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
View Quote

I've had access to tools and a shop for 5 years and I've still not built one.

I probably should...
Link Posted: 12/6/2014 2:56:16 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

I probably should...
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I probably should...

Yeah, especially after a write up like this. It looks like Ill have to figure out this form 1 nonsense
Link Posted: 12/6/2014 2:58:08 PM EDT
[#40]
Link Posted: 12/6/2014 3:01:46 PM EDT
[#41]
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I probably should...

Yeah, especially after a write up like this. It looks like Ill have to figure out this form 1 nonsense

That's easy too!

http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_6_17/415446_Visual_guide__How_to_fill_out_a_Form_1_using_EFORMS.html

You're not helping.

Link Posted: 12/6/2014 3:05:11 PM EDT
[#42]
Link Posted: 12/6/2014 3:09:02 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
Yeah, unfortunately regardless of stamp status or possession purchasing a "suppressor part" is illegal. The worst part of all is a "suppressor part" will be arbitrarily defined by the BATF should they decide to push the issue. Does it make sense? no. That doesn't change the fact that filing a form 1 than purchasing one of the threaded SDTACTICAL tubes to make a suppressor is illegal. The way people are getting around this is by making a "solvent trap" with the tube and end caps first, next filing a form 1 and upon receipt drilling the endcaps and purchasing baffles.   It's up to you to decide just how grey you want to get...
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yeah, unfortunately regardless of stamp status or possession purchasing a "suppressor part" is illegal. The worst part of all is a "suppressor part" will be arbitrarily defined by the BATF should they decide to push the issue. Does it make sense? no. That doesn't change the fact that filing a form 1 than purchasing one of the threaded SDTACTICAL tubes to make a suppressor is illegal. The way people are getting around this is by making a "solvent trap" with the tube and end caps first, next filing a form 1 and upon receipt drilling the endcaps and purchasing baffles.   It's up to you to decide just how grey you want to get...

So if I buy bar stock aluminum with the intent of eventually carving a suppressor, I'm in possession of illegal parts? Even if I have a tax stamp approved to assemble a suppressor?  How is that defined?

Link Posted: 12/6/2014 3:09:10 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
1) What keeps the completed can from loosening up (from the barrel threads) while shooting?   Assuming I were to use the SD Tactical threaded adapter, and not a flash-hider/brake

2) How big does the blast chamber need to be?

3)  How thick are the spacers?  

I'm a total newb to this stuff...
View Quote

I've got some really thick O-Rings (listed in Esstac's thread too) and I tightened mine with a strap wrench. I've had no issues with it getting loose. The baffle stack got tighter as I shot it.

My blast chamber is only 1.7" (the spacer) but the griffin brake and adapter dont put the brake as far into the can as the could, so other endcaps with a 1.7" spacer may actually be a smaller blast chamber. Esstac has tried up to 2-2.3" and got more first round pop, and no noticable difference in suppression.

I used seamlesss 304 Stainless pipe from onlinemetals.com. With an OD of 1.375, sanded down to 1.360".. the walls were initialls .049" and now they are .034". You can use whatever spacer material you want.
Link Posted: 12/6/2014 3:13:31 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
So, IG, I suppose if one wanted to make a dedicated 5.56 can using this method it'd just be a matter of putting smaller holes in the end cap and freeze plugs?  Or does the coning process open the freeze plugs up to .30 cal size anyway?
View Quote

Using the 60 degree cone, and stretching the cone to be decently high like the picture below, stretches the hole out to .360-.370.

Now that is wher you have to think.... Is a higher, more cone like baffle with a larger hole going to make up for the larger hole? Or will a smaller little cone with an appropriately sized hole work better? If you look at the new Saker 7.62, it performs better then the 5.56 while using a 5.56 endcap. Now you have to take into account that the 7.62 is a larger can and has more volume, but obviously the 7.62 sized baffles are still working very well.

Link Posted: 12/6/2014 3:13:50 PM EDT
[#46]
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I probably should...

That's easy too!

http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_6_17/415446_Visual_guide__How_to_fill_out_a_Form_1_using_EFORMS.html

IIRC the e file system hasn't worked in WA,
Link Posted: 12/6/2014 3:14:58 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

What color Alumahyde is that on the left?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Is there a method available to paint the titanium black?

You can get any kind of spray paint, or someone else mentioned getting 2oz samples of high heat air dry cerakote, and a preval sprayer.

I just did alumahyde...

https://content-na.drive.amazonaws.com/cdproxy/templink/PYKZjRC6h24-hpCK4VY0CYtcJ_Y-302yT29swRbnYrALAYspN?viewBox=1920

What color Alumahyde is that on the left?

Coyote, The Magpul FDE color has been out of stock for months. Esstac tried the earth brown, and I think it would be a better match then the coyote is.
Link Posted: 12/6/2014 3:18:01 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

Renaissance men.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

How To LINK

Renaissance men.  

I can start January 10th

Link Posted: 12/6/2014 3:19:36 PM EDT
[#49]
Diagram of how mine is setup, except the blast chamber is 1.70" and other things were shortened to make up for that...

Link Posted: 12/6/2014 3:40:16 PM EDT
[#50]
Any thoughts on starting the baffle stack with a 60 deg cone with a .370 hole, and progressively reducing the hole to .340 at the end, with a 45 degree cone? Or, starting a few at 45, and increasing the cone to 60 toward the end of the can? Just thinking on how to increase the disturbance of the gasses with different angles with the given materials.
Page / 10
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top