Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 7
Link Posted: 11/22/2014 12:56:18 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I think the NRA should have kept its distance from the open carry movements because they are now toxic, instead of apologizing.  I have ACTUALLY spoken to legislators about my support for 2A and written letter of support for legislation to them.  I usually include my something about my background/demographic which lets them know not all of us are wearing replica guns to the capitol to provoke the police.  The reason we don't have open carry in Texas is the Open Carry movement in Texas.  No legislator now wants to be associated with these groups because of their public image.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Hard to convince normal gun owners to jump in with a bunch of asshats, you know, those that have led the open carry movement.. initiating pointless confrontations with business owners and police..  We're not embarrassed, we just choose our friends wisely and most of us got enough attention from our parents when we were kids.
It's those "normal gun owners" who don't support the 2nd Amendment.  That's what needs to change.

I agree.  Most gun owners don't care about improving the law, can't be bothered to even do the bare minimum like join (much less actively support) the NRA and TSRA....much less actively work with/lobby their legislators.  Their apathy is an issue.

I think the NRA should have kept its distance from the open carry movements because they are now toxic, instead of apologizing.  I have ACTUALLY spoken to legislators about my support for 2A and written letter of support for legislation to them.  I usually include my something about my background/demographic which lets them know not all of us are wearing replica guns to the capitol to provoke the police.  The reason we don't have open carry in Texas is the Open Carry movement in Texas.  No legislator now wants to be associated with these groups because of their public image.

Why are you so against the 2nd amendment?  
Link Posted: 11/22/2014 1:12:33 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

View All Quotes

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Hard to convince normal gun owners to jump in with a bunch of asshats, you know, those that have led the open carry movement.. initiating pointless confrontations with business owners and police..  We're not embarrassed, we just choose our friends wisely and most of us got enough attention from our parents when we were kids.
It's those "normal gun owners" who don't support the 2nd Amendment.  That's what needs to change.

I agree.  Most gun owners don't care about improving the law, can't be bothered to even do the bare minimum like join (much less actively support) the NRA and TSRA....much less actively work with/lobby their legislators.  Their apathy is an issue.

. Pro-2A, against 'tardedness...

Link Posted: 11/22/2014 1:18:14 PM EDT
[#3]
I was so hoping that this thread wouldn't turn into an OC/OCT/constitutional carry/anti 2nd A derp thread.

I guess that was too much to ask for

PS-where is Zaminsky
Link Posted: 11/22/2014 1:25:40 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

I was so hoping that this thread wouldn't turn into an OC/OCT/constitutional carry/anti 2nd A derp thread.

PS-where is Zaminsky
View Quote
Let's hear the strategy for rehabilitating the image of the OC movement and getting legislators to warm back up to the issue?  (You never get a second chance to make a first impression)  

Link Posted: 11/22/2014 1:45:55 PM EDT
[#5]
OC is a NIMBY issue. Everyone is for themselves getting to OC/CC but there are scary people who might, so Not In My Back Yard.
Rights are rights, either support them or shut up. I don't really care which but stop helping others to infringe on my rights.
Thank you and have a nice day < under breath>retards<under breath>
Link Posted: 11/22/2014 1:47:42 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Let's hear the strategy for rehabilitating the image of the OC movement and getting legislators to warm back up to the issue?  (You never get a second chance to make a first impression)  

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

PS-where is Zaminsky

Couldn't agree more:

find out who your REPs are in Austin
communicate with them directly
ask them how you can help further the cause to expedite the bills through the channels
find out when public hearings are on the bills
attend hearings referenced above

make private appointments to visit your REPs to discuss their support

take every opportunity to bring up the subject in your normal interactions with the public

present your opinions in a professional non-threatening manner

LISTEN to opposing points of view

get involved with local pro-gun organizations

talk to the TSRA
communicate with Alice Tripp

contact NRA to put pressure for them to get involved

invite a non-gun friend to the range

DON'T OC your AK to Chipotle

Don't flash your boobs in a demonstration without receiving prior approval from ARFCOM

What else can we add to this list???????????
Link Posted: 11/22/2014 1:54:55 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
Couldn't agree more:

ask them how you can help further the cause to expedite the bills through the channels

take every opportunity to bring up the subject in your normal interactions with the public

talk to the TSRA

Don't flash your boobs in a demonstration without receiving prior approval from ARFCOM
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

PS-where is Zaminsky

Couldn't agree more:

talk to the TSRA

I'm down with that list..A lot more self-policing within smaller groups to not perpetuate the negative image which you addressed..

Link Posted: 11/22/2014 2:00:32 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

PS-where is Zaminsky
View Quote

Here is why OCT matters in this situation:  They're supporting HB195.  More to the point, they're encouraging people to OPPOSE ANY OTHER OC bill.

That is foolish, and based completely on the EGOS involved in OCT and not on improving our gun rights.  Their approach is wrong, their tactics are wrong, and they're going to cause issues this legislative session.  

If we cannot get 195 passed, we need to push for one of the other OC bills, even if that means OC with a permit for now.  ALL good pro gun bills deserve our support, and anything we can get passed is a positive.  Threatening lawmakers with "195 or nothing" is going to guarantee that we get nothing.   I'm fine with people wanting 195 over other options.  By all means, support 195.  I think everyone serious about gun rights in Texas is hoping for Constitutional Carry, now or in the future.  But spend your time and effort supporting 195, not opposing other gun bills.  

As always, especially with Texas politics: Don't try to eat an elephant in one bite and then act surprised when you choke.

Link Posted: 11/22/2014 2:08:12 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Here is why OCT matters in this situation:  They're supporting HB195.  More to the point, they're encouraging people to OPPOSE ANY OTHER OC bill.

That is foolish, and based completely on the EGOS involved in OCT and not on improving our gun rights.  Their approach is wrong, their tactics are wrong, and they're going to cause issues this legislative session.  

If we cannot get 195 passed, we need to push for one of the other OC bills, even if that means OC with a permit for now.  ALL good pro gun bills deserve our support, and anything we can get passed is a positive.  Threatening lawmakers with "195 or nothing" is going to guarantee that we get nothing.   I'm fine with people wanting 195 over other options.  By all means, support 195.  I think everyone serious about gun rights in Texas is hoping for Constitutional Carry, now or in the future.  But spend your time and effort supporting 195, not opposing other gun bills.  

As always, especially with Texas politics: Don't try to eat an elephant in one bite and then act surprised when you choke.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

PS-where is Zaminsky

Well said!!!! I couldn't agree more!
Link Posted: 11/22/2014 2:12:58 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Jesus fucking derp. Again with the wrapping yourself in the constitution. How about just carrying concealed?

OC has nothing to do with the 2nd amendment.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Jesus fucking derp. Again with the wrapping yourself in the constitution. How about just carrying concealed?

OC has nothing to do with the 2nd amendment.

What?  You're just not making any sense now.
Link Posted: 11/22/2014 2:16:00 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

PS-where is Zaminsky

I'm on board with that.  195 would be fantastic to get passed, but any improvement is better than none.  It's dumb to go for broke on 195 and oppose anything less.  .
Link Posted: 11/22/2014 2:22:00 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
http://i297.photobucket.com/albums/mm211/GIR101_bucket/OCTBlueFalcon.jpg

These guy's are going to try their hardest to fuck it up for all you normal folks
View Quote

So what? Let them try.

Link Posted: 11/22/2014 2:25:24 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
I can't believe there are people rooting AGAINST more freedom than they have now.  

Welcome to the plantation.  Here is your pitchfork and shovel.  

OC isn't just for OC's sake.   Having this law on the books removes the issue of the sight of a firearm being used as automatic probable cause and/or a reason to conduct a harassing and intrusive stop.   At least up here it also offers other layers of protection from game wardens intending to screw with you.  

It offers more protection than what it says.   I will be in TX in a few years and would like to see this go through.  The sky has not fallen in Pennsylvania in the dozen years that I've lived here.  Most people DON'T open carry for many of the good reasons mentioned.  Don't use today as the only measure of circumstance when it might be needed.  

If I remember correctly, the constitution affirms the right to "keep and BEAR" not "keep and hide."  

ETA - POLITICAL CONSIDERATIONS:

The fight for our rights hasn't been properly conducted.  We've been conditioned to accept standing still as victory.   "we defeated a gun control bill - VICTORY!!"  Bullshit.  You played defense and prevented the opposition from gaining yardage toward their ultimate goal.  

We don't have a long game.  Our strategy thus far has been to fight only to prevent the offense from gaining ground.   Every time we win, we gain NOTHING.  Every time they win, they gain yards and we lose them.  

This is one of those plays where we can actually move down field.    

There is no game that can be won on defense alone.  Especially this one.  Like a tax, it's extremely rare that any gun control legislation goes away.  Victory means gaining new freedom, and that means we have to play offense.  We need to recondition the thinking of the pro-gun politicians into seeing victory as measurable advancement, not a slow retreat.  
View Quote
we need to go on the offensive, the defensive is always a losing position. At best it's a standstill.
Link Posted: 11/22/2014 3:28:58 PM EDT
[#14]
Can you, in Texas, open carry with a CCW?
Link Posted: 11/22/2014 3:32:42 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
View Quote

For someone who doesn't even know the laws down here you've been awfully active in this thread.  

Anyone can open carry a rifle or shotgun, no permit required.

You cannot open carry a handgun, even with a CHL.

Link Posted: 11/22/2014 3:33:22 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
View Quote

No. You can't OC a handgun in Texas. There are a couple exceptions, on duty security etc and the police.
Link Posted: 11/22/2014 3:38:32 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
I never said that I didn't support your doing so, but because you're so wed to this issue you can't wrap your head around the fact that a bunch of neckbeards rocking rifles in a public place is frowned upon greatly. I Simply said, how about not open carrying rifles at your rallies and ccw instead or don't carry them at all. I'm more concerned with your image in the eyes of the public in regards to the 2nd amendment than with curtailing your rights. But hey, don't let me stop you when you're balls deep in a strawman.

Please explain how you're going to courteously explain your position to people who already think you're a retard or are afraid to be seen talking or might be actually afraid of the obviously mentally disturbed individual with an AR in a three point in low ready, because I'd LOVE to hear it. I wouldn't want to talk to your ass and I am an out and out gun nut for the simple reason that a large percentage of you look like a pack of wing nuts that only the occupy wall street crowd would be proud of.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
I never said that I didn't support your doing so, but because you're so wed to this issue you can't wrap your head around the fact that a bunch of neckbeards rocking rifles in a public place is frowned upon greatly. I Simply said, how about not open carrying rifles at your rallies and ccw instead or don't carry them at all. I'm more concerned with your image in the eyes of the public in regards to the 2nd amendment than with curtailing your rights. But hey, don't let me stop you when you're balls deep in a strawman.

Please explain how you're going to courteously explain your position to people who already think you're a retard or are afraid to be seen talking or might be actually afraid of the obviously mentally disturbed individual with an AR in a three point in low ready, because I'd LOVE to hear it. I wouldn't want to talk to your ass and I am an out and out gun nut for the simple reason that a large percentage of you look like a pack of wing nuts that only the occupy wall street crowd would be proud of.

Quoted:
I'm all for dressing nicely and creating a good impression.  That's fine and should be encouraged, but I'm not going to berate someone for being too fat or not wearing a tie if he chooses not to.  As far as creating good impressions, It's a lot more important to be personable, courteous, and willing to explain your positions in a coherent and reasoned manner.  

Maybe you missed this part.  Dressing well is certainly to be encouraged, but I suspect that's not your real objection.  If everybody in OCT wore a suit and tie and spoke with the elegance of Thomas Paine, you'd still be calling them retards simply because you just don't approve of people carrying rifles.  

I've yet to see any evidence of anyone actually being frightened at any OC gathering.  The anti's claiming that they were so scared they had to leave their shopping cart full of perishables in the aisle are full of it.  Even they can obviously recognize that there's no actual threat present if they have time to pile the cart with T-bones and then wait in line at customer service on the way out.
Link Posted: 11/22/2014 3:43:08 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

For someone who doesn't even know the laws down here you've been awfully active in this thread.  

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Just wanted clarification. I was under the assumption that, just like here, you could OC with a permit to carry, and you wanted no permit, open carry.

But that doesn't change the facts here that the OC protesters are only beaten in PR disaster by NAMBLA., which is what I'm saying your problem is.
Link Posted: 11/22/2014 4:05:14 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Maybe you missed this part.  Dressing well is certainly to be encouraged, but I suspect that's not your real objection.  If everybody in OCT wore a suit and tie and spoke with the elegance of Thomas Paine, you'd still be calling them retards simply because you just don't approve of people carrying rifles.  

I've yet to see any evidence of anyone actually being frightened at any OC gathering.  The anti's claiming that they were so scared they had to leave their shopping cart full of perishables in the aisle are full of it.  Even they can obviously recognize that there's no actual threat present if they have time to pile the cart with T-bones and then wait in line at customer service on the way out.
View Quote

Dress real well, that is to be encouraged.

But so is not being a fucking idiot. The image of OC'ers are that of fucking idiot because even if you guys dress well, you still say stupid shit and your actions would say everything necessary about you before you even opened your mouths. Barack 0bama dresses real well, but he says and does stupid shit all the time.

And you're right, I do not PERSONALLY approve of people outside a war zone walking around public areas with a rifle. Do you live in a war zone? West Texas province of Afghanistan? Never heard of it while I was there. Must be rough. What you do when you walk around with a rifle in public is stir up the sheep. To someone of your obvious couth and taste, I'm sure you are regularly troubled with the decision between the Sig braced AR pistol and the Colt 6920, but out here in the little world I like to call, "Reality" you only look like an asshole. If you want to do it, knock yourself out, but don't be surprised when people treat you like a misanthrope because it actually does frighten and piss people off when you're fucking around in public with a rifle.
Link Posted: 11/22/2014 4:21:27 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I'm all for dressing nicely and creating a good impression.  That's fine and should be encouraged, but I'm not going to berate someone for being too fat or not wearing a tie if he chooses not to.  As far as creating good impressions, It's a lot more important to be personable, courteous, and willing to explain your positions in a coherent and reasoned manner.  

And the point of carrying an AR into store is?  Do you feel threatened by other persons in a Target store to the extent you need something other than a holstered handgun?  Seems to me there's a measure of unreasonableness here....

Link Posted: 11/22/2014 4:24:16 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

A valid question.

I am not opposed to open carry, either of handguns or long guns. I would like to see open carry of handguns pass.

That said, the constitution of The Great State of Texas gives our legislature the power to regulate the wearing of arms. I am not in favor of regulating the wearing of arms, but I am less in favor of interlopers who don't live in Texas injecting themselves into our affairs.

I don't tell you how to make cheese or deal with unions, so don't tell me what Texas should or shouldn't do with it's gun laws.

Our state, our say. Texas for Texans!
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Why should I care what somebody from WI thinks I should be doing any more than I care was someone in France thinks the US should be doing?

A valid question.

I am not opposed to open carry, either of handguns or long guns. I would like to see open carry of handguns pass.

That said, the constitution of The Great State of Texas gives our legislature the power to regulate the wearing of arms. I am not in favor of regulating the wearing of arms, but I am less in favor of interlopers who don't live in Texas injecting themselves into our affairs.

I don't tell you how to make cheese or deal with unions, so don't tell me what Texas should or shouldn't do with it's gun laws.

Our state, our say. Texas for Texans!

Any pro gun move is good for everybody. Using your logic, why were so many people from other states (texas included) against Colorado's 30 round mag ban?
Link Posted: 11/22/2014 4:36:05 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
I may be in WI temporarily but my heart is still in TX.

Then I'll give you a pass in this case.

I love it here too, and I am leery of out of state interests sticking their nose into Texas business. I don't want people from other states telling us what our gun laws, environmental laws, commercial regulations or anything else should be.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Why should I care what somebody from WI thinks I should be doing any more than I care was someone in France thinks the US should be doing?
Born in TX, Most of my life in TX, Active there last session as well as getting arrested and thrown in jail in Austin for a knife while carrying a handgun.  I also have family there and visit often.
I may be in WI temporarily but my heart is still in TX.

Then I'll give you a pass in this case.

I love it here too, and I am leery of out of state interests sticking their nose into Texas business. I don't want people from other states telling us what our gun laws, environmental laws, commercial regulations or anything else should be.

Holy fuck you texans are a loopy fucking bunch  Bag on texas and its "fuck you, you're not a texan" argue in favor of expanded gun rights for texas and its "fuck you, you're not a texan"  And texans wonder why people think Mexico lite is a joke.
Link Posted: 11/22/2014 4:44:33 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Here's the problem I have with Constitutional open carry: soon every thug and illegal will be seen open carrying, not just law abiding citizens.  I would rather have people who already have CCW since there is a screening process in place.  I personally still prefer conceal carry.
View Quote

So, you think that if its legal to OC, people can't legally OC Will start doing so, but magically respect the CC laws and won't break those
Link Posted: 11/22/2014 4:48:05 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

You scare the sheep by OCing and being a fucking prick about it like the majority of OCer's are. It's not me that caused Chipotle to scream no guns allowed, it was you and people like you making people think those of us who carry are a bunch of fucking weirdos. Thankfully I just cover mine up and they're never the wiser, so they know that you're the weirdo.

You're literally like the gays with the banana hammocks and chaps flaming their way around a pride festival. Yeah they're flamboyant, queer as a football bat, the minority, and all the gays who are regular people who happen to be gay hate them, but when someone says, "Gay Pride Festival" they think the freaks are coming out.

Same goes for an Open Carry Protest. The rest of us look in disdain at you and your cause because you're actively fucking mine up. I swear you OC'ers are liberal plants trying to take the public from "Hey, guns are pretty cool" to "BAN THEM ALL!!!!"  

This has absolutely nothing to do with my rights unless you're talking about switching the gear on public (AKA Sheep) policy from grazing to stampede.

ETA: Flamesuit on. Zero fucks given. See this face? This is my "I don't care what you think" face.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
The problem is a vocal group of gun owners who are too embarrassed to fight for the rights that the 2nd Amendment grants us.

You scare the sheep by OCing and being a fucking prick about it like the majority of OCer's are. It's not me that caused Chipotle to scream no guns allowed, it was you and people like you making people think those of us who carry are a bunch of fucking weirdos. Thankfully I just cover mine up and they're never the wiser, so they know that you're the weirdo.

You're literally like the gays with the banana hammocks and chaps flaming their way around a pride festival. Yeah they're flamboyant, queer as a football bat, the minority, and all the gays who are regular people who happen to be gay hate them, but when someone says, "Gay Pride Festival" they think the freaks are coming out.

Same goes for an Open Carry Protest. The rest of us look in disdain at you and your cause because you're actively fucking mine up. I swear you OC'ers are liberal plants trying to take the public from "Hey, guns are pretty cool" to "BAN THEM ALL!!!!"  

This has absolutely nothing to do with my rights unless you're talking about switching the gear on public (AKA Sheep) policy from grazing to stampede.

ETA: Flamesuit on. Zero fucks given. See this face? This is my "I don't care what you think" face.

Link Posted: 11/22/2014 5:45:43 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

The problem is a vocal group of gun owners who are too embarrassed to fight for the rights that the 2nd Amendment grants us.

I do wonder which other civil rights he only exercises only after getting a permission slip from the government. ... and wonder what he'd do if they revoke or just wouldn't give him permission.

Link Posted: 11/22/2014 6:29:04 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:
I do wonder which other civil rights he only exercises only after getting a permission slip from the government. ... and wonder what he'd do if they revoke or just wouldn't give him permission.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

You have the right to tell your boss "fuck you," but you don't as a practical matter.  You are not giving up your 1A rights because you didn't tell your boss "FU," just exercising sound judgment.  Reasonable 2A supporters are asking you to exercise sound judgment, that is all.

Link Posted: 11/22/2014 7:04:27 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
And the point of carrying an AR into store is?  Do you feel threatened by other persons in a Target store to the extent you need something other than a holstered handgun?  Seems to me there's a measure of unreasonableness here....
View Quote

Carrying a holstered handgun openly or without a license is illegal in TX.  Carrying a rifle is not.  Of course it's absurd, but openly carrying a rifle is the only option the state of TX has allowed for unlicensed individuals who wish to be able to defend themselves.  If you think that's unreasonable, I fully agree - the state should not be creating these artificial limitations.  But until the laws are changed, that's how things are.  

And btw - that argument is straight out of the anti's playbook.  "Do you feel threatened by other persons in a Target store to the extent that you need *insert thing here* (a firearm?!) (a 15 round magazine?!) (two extra magazines?!) (gun, knife, spray, backup knife, kobutan, 2nd backup knife, BUG, tactical pen, etc?!)"  Don't buy into their arguments.  We (all of us who carry, whether openly or concealed) carry firearms because it's impossible to predict when bad things will happen.  The method and mode of carry can be determined by many factors, but at its heart, that is the core reason.
Link Posted: 11/22/2014 7:16:58 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
And you're right, I do not PERSONALLY approve of people outside a war zone walking around public areas with a rifle. Do you live in a war zone? West Texas province of Afghanistan? Never heard of it while I was there. Must be rough. What you do when you walk around with a rifle in public is stir up the sheep. To someone of your obvious couth and taste, I'm sure you are regularly troubled with the decision between the Sig braced AR pistol and the Colt 6920, but out here in the little world I like to call, "Reality" you only look like an asshole. If you want to do it, knock yourself out, but don't be surprised when people treat you like a misanthrope because it actually does frighten and piss people off when you're fucking around in public with a rifle.
View Quote

Well, at least you came out and said it.  If that's the case, then you should be arguing the merits of why people (in another state, no less) should have their gun rights further restricted by banning long gun OC, not berating them for being fat or for using the only legal method of open carry or unlicensed carry available in TX.  

Like I just told Czechers - this is a result of restrictive laws that create a situation in which the only legal choice is the absurd one.  

Btw, OC'ing an AR pistol would be just as illegal and OC'ing any other handgun.  And I'm still waiting for some examples of normal everyday people genuinely frightened by peaceful OC, whether of pistols or rifles.
Link Posted: 11/22/2014 7:25:30 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:
Carrying a holstered handgun openly or without a license is illegal in TX.  Carrying a rifle is not.  Of course it's absurd, but openly carrying a rifle is the only option the state of TX has allowed for unlicensed individuals who wish to be able to defend themselves.  If you think that's unreasonable, I fully agree - the state should not be creating these artificial limitations.  But until the laws are changed, that's how things are.  

And btw - that argument is straight out of the anti's playbook.  "Do you feel threatened by other persons in a Target store to the extent that you need *insert thing here* (a firearm?!) (a 15 round magazine?!) (two extra magazines?!) (gun, knife, spray, backup knife, kobutan, 2nd backup knife, BUG, tactical pen, etc?!)"  Don't buy into their arguments.  We (all of us who carry, whether openly or concealed) carry firearms because it's impossible to predict when bad things will happen.  The method and mode of carry can be determined by many factors, but at its heart, that is the core reason.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

It takes a pretty large stretch of the imagination to take what I said and equate it to the "anti's" tactic.  It was clearly followed by a firearm option. So, OC'ers are choosing to be absurd in their choices, got it.  They feel they need to defend themselves with an AR in a Target store or Chipotle that doesn't want them there, but they still want to shop and spend money there?  And the TX legislature is the problem so "we'll go piss off the retailers?"  Certainly there's no logic in the strategy.  OC'ers that have stepped on their own dicks with their lack of any strategy that actually supports the cause.  

Link Posted: 11/22/2014 7:53:25 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
I'm a Texan, and I fully support open carry for everyone.  Handguns, rifles, fat people, skinny people, good-looking or ugly, licensed or not, it doesn't matter.  

This is about rights, not about "image", and Matefrio is exactly right - we have to have a unified front, and do everything we can to get these bills passed this session.  Support the right, or don't.  There is no middle ground.
View Quote

...and is about time.
I support OC/Constitutional carry whatever you want to call it. 'the right to keep and bear arms'.

A well regulated militia being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed.
Link Posted: 11/23/2014 3:18:26 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Crazy idea here: How about getting a CCW and CONCEAL CARRYING THAT MOTHERFUCKER?!? It is literally an easy process in every shall issue state.

You don't need to OC to protect yourself. You're throwing out bullshit at this point.

Quoted:

I might not feel threatened by you and your M4 strapped to you, principally because if the need arises I'll just take it from you, but I guarantee everyone else wherever you go probably are leery as hell of you,  if not outright hostile to you making a scene with your rifle. Carry a pistol CCW instead. It maintains the veneer of civility.
Link Posted: 11/23/2014 3:30:10 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Well, at least you came out and said it.  If that's the case, then you should be arguing the merits of why people (in another state, no less) should have their gun rights further restricted by banning long gun OC, not berating them for being fat or for using the only legal method of open carry or unlicensed carry available in TX.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:

We have Open Carry here with a CCW. And I never said that I wanted to ban it, I simply said that I do not support it. That's quite a leap you make time and again for your silly little ad hominem campaign, which like many of your other arguments is dumb.

OCing a rifle, again because you seem to be significantly hard headed about it, makes you look like a really big shithead, pisses those around you off, and irreparably damage the rights, or at least how people view our rights. You are literally the very ones fucking it up for not only yourselves, but the rest of us too.

Quoted:
Like I just told Czechers - this is a result of restrictive laws that create a situation in which the only legal choice is the absurd one.  

How about legal choice C: Get a CCW and carry concealed instead of just trying to piss the rest of the citizenry off at those of us who choose to take our personal responsibility in our own hands?

Quoted:
Btw, OC'ing an AR pistol would be just as illegal and OC'ing any other handgun.  And I'm still waiting for some examples of normal everyday people genuinely frightened by peaceful OC, whether of pistols or rifles.

Pfft, I've ARRESTED people for OCing in city areas when they caused a major disturbance.  

And *EVERY* time someone runs around OCing here, there's going to be numerous calls to 911 of some dumbass with a gun.
Link Posted: 11/23/2014 8:25:20 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

We have Open Carry here with a CCW. And I never said that I wanted to ban it, I simply said that I do not support it. That's quite a leap you make time and again for your silly little ad hominem campaign, which like many of your other arguments is dumb.

OCing a rifle, again because you seem to be significantly hard headed about it, makes you look like a really big shithead, pisses those around you off, and irreparably damage the rights, or at least how people view our rights. You are literally the very ones fucking it up for not only yourselves, but the rest of us too.

How about legal choice C: Get a CCW and carry concealed instead of just trying to piss the rest of the citizenry off at those of us who choose to take our personal responsibility in our own hands?

Pfft, I've ARRESTED people for OCing in city areas when they caused a major disturbance.  

And *EVERY* time someone runs around OCing here, there's going to be numerous calls to 911 of some dumbass with a gun.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Just having a gun OC isn't grounds for arrest. If you have arrested anyone in Texas for it (OC of a rifle) you have violated the law.
You lane, you should stay in it.
Link Posted: 11/23/2014 9:38:46 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Crazy idea here: How about getting a CCW and CONCEAL CARRYING THAT MOTHERFUCKER?!? It is literally an easy process in every shall issue state.

You don't need to OC to protect yourself. You're throwing out bullshit at this point.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

I have a CHL and do carry concealed unless I'm on my own property.  But my situation doesn't apply to everyone, nor should it.  Some people object on principle to needing a license to be armed.  Others don't want to invest the time or money in the class.  The time it takes to issue a license even after the class can be an issue for some.  And sometimes it's just impractical or inconvenient to conceal a firearm.  I stand by what I said - A rifle is the only legal option left for unlicensed or open carry.  Who are you to mandate that everyone who wants to protect themselves be forced into a single method of "acceptable" carry?  That's the bullshit argument right there.  

Quoted:
I might not feel threatened by you and your M4 strapped to you, principally because if the need arises I'll just take it from you, but I guarantee everyone else wherever you go probably are leery as hell of you,  if not outright hostile to you making a scene with your rifle. Carry a pistol CCW instead. It maintains the veneer of civility.

You "guarantee"?  That's a big claim considering I've yet to read about anyone bolting for the door in a panic or drawing and firing on a peaceful OC gathering.  The anti's are the hostile ones, and even they have to resort to carefully manipulated photographs and wild hysterics to make OCT look remotely threatening.  

Even you agreed that you would not feel threatened by a person OC'ing a rifle in a peaceful manner, yet you spew vitriol and insults at anyone who dares even support it, much less OC's themselves.  I get it - you don't like OC.  Fortunately, your opinion is just that, and you have no right to enforce your own choices on anyone else.  That's how rights work.  

Quoted:
We have Open Carry here with a CCW. And I never said that I wanted to ban it, I simply said that I do not support it.

[snip]

Wait, licensed OC is legal where you are, but you've arrested people for it anyway?    I don't claim to be an expert on MN gun laws, but in TX that would be called official oppression.
Link Posted: 11/23/2014 10:11:19 AM EDT
[#35]
The guy doesn't understand OC is a fundamental constitutional right.  It's not hard to see that he'd make an arrest on a licensed lawful activity he doesn't agree with using "disturbing the peace" as a pretense.

Yet, we should accept the privilege (CC) as a substitute for the right (OC) until the state and their agents decide otherwise.  

NO, thanks.
Link Posted: 11/23/2014 10:18:39 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
The guy doesn't understand OC is a fundamental constitutional right.  It's not hard to see that he'd make an arrest on a licensed lawful activity he doesn't agree with using "disturbing the peace" as a pretense.

Yet, we should accept the privilege (CC) as a substitute for the right (OC) until the state and their agents decide otherwise.  

NO, thanks.
View Quote

So should we pick up the can?
Link Posted: 11/23/2014 10:32:21 AM EDT
[#37]
Turboguy, no one has a lower opinion of the OCT assholes than myself. They aren't helping the cause.

Having said that, your understanding of the political environment here is way off. Combine that with your tepid support of basic 2nd Amendment concepts, then your unfamiliarity with Texas gun laws...I'm really not sure where you feel you're contributing to the conversation.
Link Posted: 11/23/2014 10:40:14 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

NO, thanks.

No, that's never been an option in Texas.
Link Posted: 11/23/2014 10:42:48 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Turboguy, no one has a lower opinion of the OCT assholes than myself. They aren't helping the cause.

Having said that, your understanding of the political environment here is way off. Combine that with your tepid support of basic 2nd Amendment concepts, then your unfamiliarity with Texas gun laws...I'm really not sure where you feel you're contributing to the conversation.
View Quote

Agreed, on all points.
Link Posted: 11/23/2014 11:44:15 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

View Quote

OCT is the occutards of the gun movement...

Constitutional carry and OC is preffered for me.
Link Posted: 11/23/2014 12:44:48 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
I'm gonna buy a fancy leather belt and holsters and two .45 long colts when it passes.
View Quote

Isn't this already legal in Texas? OC of pre-1898 guns is good to go, isn't it?
Link Posted: 11/23/2014 12:47:33 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
I put pressure on my elected officials, but I won't touch the current organized open carry tards with a ten foot pole.  Who needs enemies when you have friends like them
View Quote

All of that is pretty insignificant compared to the fact that the new Governor explicitly stated on the day after his election that he wants to see Open Carry pass and will sign it.
Link Posted: 11/23/2014 1:02:17 PM EDT
[#43]
OCT are a bunch of idiots. OC in Texas will happen if OCT will just stfu and go hide. For all the Texans in this thread, Turboguy knows everything about everything.

OC without permit is the right thing but I'd take it with permit if that will show the public that OCers aren't all like OCT.
Link Posted: 11/23/2014 1:09:03 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
OCT are a bunch of idiots. OC in Texas will happen if OCT will just stfu and go hide. For all the Texans in this thread, Turboguy knows everything about everything.

OC without permit is the right thing but I'd take it with permit if that will show the public that OCers aren't all like OCT.
View Quote

Why do you care about what people think? I don't understand the quest for respectability.
Link Posted: 11/23/2014 1:29:45 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

Why do you care about what people think? I don't understand the quest for respectability.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I don't understand what you are asking.
Link Posted: 11/23/2014 2:00:19 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

You said you'll take it with a permit if that will show the public that OCers aren't like Open Carry Texas. Why?
Link Posted: 11/23/2014 2:18:06 PM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:
You said you'll take it with a permit if that will show the public that OCers aren't like Open Carry Texas. Why?
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

What is your recourse, when they choose to not give you that permit?
Link Posted: 11/23/2014 3:26:07 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

He'll pick up the can, just like a good citizen.

I'm hoping, but as I said before we'll get stuck with OC by permit only. It'll probably require something stupid like display of a OC badge/permit visible to everyone. I'm waiting on the shoe to drop.
Link Posted: 11/23/2014 3:38:54 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Texas is a shall issue state... stop trying to find flaws.
Link Posted: 11/23/2014 3:46:42 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
The legislature in general should follow the will of the people.  The people of Texas have a negative perception of open carry, there is just not much actual support for this.  In theory it is great - but people don't vote for theories.  We need to work on campus carry.  Open carry, however needs to develop a better image before it can go anywhere.  At least we have a general positive view on self defense and firearms - that is where the rub is with the blue crowd.  
View Quote

How few people will benefit from Campus Carry?  

Say NO to carve outs for special interests!  

Maximum liberty for ALL!
Page / 7
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top