Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 12/1/2017 1:17:12 AM EDT
[#1]
Man all this talk of monitors makes me want to change my graphics card from my 560 ti.
Link Posted: 12/3/2017 3:55:02 PM EDT
[#2]
Thinking about foing on this:

[url=https://www.bestbuy.com/site/alienware-25-led-fhd-freesync-monitor/5990501.p?skuId=5990501&ref=194&loc=1]https://www.bestbuy.com/site/alienware-25-led-fhd-freesync-monitor/5990501.p?skuId=5990501&ref=194&loc=1[/url

$350 on Amazon. Refresh and response are nice spec wise.
Link Posted: 12/3/2017 4:15:10 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

[url=https://www.bestbuy.com/site/alienware-25-led-fhd-freesync-monitor/5990501.p?skuId=5990501&ref=194&loc=1]https://www.bestbuy.com/site/alienware-25-led-fhd-freesync-monitor/5990501.p?skuId=5990501&ref=194&loc=1[/url

View Quote
FIFY
Link Posted: 12/3/2017 9:55:07 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

View Quote
Are you running a AMD GPU?

The 240hz is juicy, that's for sure.

I'd wait until testify4 gets his Acer Predator 27" and his review.

Me personally, I'd stretch the $100 for that monitor over the Alienware one.
Link Posted: 12/3/2017 10:47:36 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Are you running a AMD GPU?

The 240hz is juicy, that's for sure.

Me personally, I'd stretch the $100 for that monitor over the Alienware one.
View Quote
I am running a geforce gtx 1080 ti. Just built a new computer this weekend. It has been about 10 years since I've built one (a core 2 duo). Decided on the i7-8700k.

I still have a gateway 1080i monitor which was pretty nice when I bought it...

Can't decide if i want a new monitor or spring for vr first.
Link Posted: 12/4/2017 11:53:16 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

View Quote
It came in on Saturday afternoon- played PUBG all weekend on my standard Solo FPP mode.

The monitor itself is solidly built, very crisp video right out of the box.  I still need to look in to calibration, but had great gameplay experience as-is.

Once I got the refresh upped from 60Hz, it is quite noticeable- even when just whipping around a browser or file window on the desktop.  Reminded me of the first time I saw smooth OpenGL back in the day, smooth as butter.

The 1440p was absolutely the right choice.  With the 27" monitor, it is an amazing picture to look at.

I am only pushing 40-80 fps now on PUBG due to the resolution change, but I am slowly bumping up the manual OC on my 1060 to compensate for the higher resolution.  A 1070 or 1080 would really rock on this monitor.

Loaded up some other games where I can push higher FPS:  Ghost Recon: Wildlands, Minecraft (140 fps ), Far Cry 3 and Fallout 4.  All I can say is "smooth"!

I'd absolutely recommend this monitor for a NVidia user thanks to G-Sync, especially if you have a 1070 or 1080.  I may upgrade my video card sooner than later now that I have seen the fluidness of high refresh.

Only problem I had was the "4k Certified" 10' Amazon Basics displayport cable would not work with the monitor, so I had to use the very short cable that came with the monitor and move my CPU closer.  Will be hunting for a better DP cable.
Link Posted: 12/4/2017 12:03:36 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

It came in on Saturday afternoon- played PUBG all weekend on my standard Solo FPP mode.

The monitor itself is solidly built, very crisp video right out of the box.  I still need to look in to calibration, but had great gameplay experience as-is.

Once I got the refresh upped from 60Hz, it is quite noticeable- even when just whipping around a browser or file window on the desktop.  Reminded me of the first time I saw smooth OpenGL back in the day, smooth as butter.

The 1440p was absolutely the right choice.  With the 27" monitor, it is an amazing picture to look at.

I am only pushing 40-80 fps now on PUBG due to the resolution change, but I am slowly bumping up the manual OC on my 1060 to compensate for the higher resolution.  A 1070 or 1080 would really rock on this monitor.

Loaded up some other games where I can push higher FPS:  Ghost Recon: Wildlands, Minecraft (140 fps ), Far Cry 3 and Fallout 4.  All I can say is "smooth"!

I'd absolutely recommend this monitor for a NVidia user thanks to G-Sync, especially if you have a 1070 or 1080.  I may upgrade my video card sooner than later now that I have seen the fluidness of high refresh.

Only problem I had was the "4k Certified" 10' Amazon Basics displayport cable would not work with the monitor, so I had to use the very short cable that came with the monitor and move my CPU closer.  Will be hunting for a better DP cable.
View Quote
When I'm done with my appts today, I'll give you my calibration settings. Will be about 3 hours or so.
Link Posted: 12/4/2017 2:00:08 PM EDT
[#8]
@testify4

Here is what I used to calibrate my monitor.

ACER XB271HU - Best picture settings ( Brightness, Constrast, RGB, Gamma, Colour calibration )
Link Posted: 12/4/2017 2:07:40 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

View Quote
Awesome, glad you like it!

I'm in the same boat, the dot pitch and pixels per square inch are right in that sweet spot.

Looks fantastic, runs great, icons aren't itty bitty.

I'll take 2K over 4K any day.

Link Posted: 12/4/2017 3:04:31 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
@testify4

Here is what I used to calibrate my monitor.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-g2JNqlcSfw
View Quote
Thanks!  That looks easy enough to walk through- I will give it a go!
Link Posted: 12/4/2017 3:08:41 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Awesome, glad you like it!
View Quote
I am very pleased with it!  I actually had to push the monitor a couple inches deeper back on the desk so it didn't feel like I was in the front row of a movie theater!

I am glad I checked this thread, I literally had it in the Amazon cart and was about to click though when I decided to verify the model number with your post.  Love the 1440p, I think you saved me from making a compromise I wouldn't have been as happy with so thanks for that!

Now I just have to stop looking at GTX 1080s so I don't "waste" this sweet monitor.  
Link Posted: 12/4/2017 3:26:59 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

I am very pleased with it!  I actually had to push the monitor a couple inches deeper back on the desk so it didn't feel like I was in the front row of a movie theater!

I am glad I checked this thread, I literally had it in the Amazon cart and was about to click though when I decided to verify the model number with your post.  Love the 1440p, I think you saved me from making a compromise I wouldn't have been as happy with so thanks for that!

Now I just have to stop looking at GTX 1080s so I don't "waste" this sweet monitor.  
View Quote
If you go the 1080 route, I would recommend a 1080ti or a higher overclocked 1080. I currently have a EVGA 1080 SC and still dip under 60 FPS depending on the game and situation.

The 1080 SC is fine for most situations, but I feel a higher clocked / ti card would pick it up in those very few instances were I do dip down in FPS.
Link Posted: 12/4/2017 4:06:27 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

View Quote

Now you're got upgrade fever!

Link Posted: 12/6/2017 10:59:10 PM EDT
[#14]
Picked up a new monitor

https://www.amazon.com/Alienware-25-Gaming-Monitor-AW2518H/dp/B0733VW5QB

Side by side comparison with my old monitor
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top