Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 3
Link Posted: 11/22/2016 10:47:30 PM EDT
[#1]
Impressive with that scope.  

Not knocking the scope, they just aren't intended to reach out that far.

I have shot out to 700 with 5.56.  Wind is a real bitch.
Link Posted: 11/22/2016 10:49:54 PM EDT
[#2]
Would be interested to see what you could do with a proper long range set up.  

Congrats on your consistent hits.  Very impressive stuff and great write up.
Link Posted: 11/22/2016 10:57:31 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
That would be so cool. I would love to learn how to shoot long distance
View Quote

If you (or anyone) wants to start look at Appleseed, Revere's Riders (in Indiana) or a CMP or High Power clinic.

I think the outfits like Appleseed that start at 25 yards with reduced size targets have the right idea.  Learn to hit tiny targets that represent distant targets consistently THEN worry about wind and drop and all that other jazz.

If anyone thinks they're too good for that place a postage stamp at 25 yards and try to put 10 rounds in it prone unsupported.  Once they can do that they are ready for full distance without wasting ammo and time walking.
Link Posted: 11/22/2016 11:17:01 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Would be interested to see what you could do with a proper long range set up.  

Congrats on your consistent hits.  Very impressive stuff and great write up.
View Quote

Thanks.  I'm already dreaming up the specs for a legit long distance rig.  Gonna take a while for the budget to allow it because I'm not seeing myself being happy with $200 barrels and $400 scopes.
Link Posted: 11/22/2016 11:17:55 PM EDT
[#5]
Impressive work.

Definitely learned a lot in this thread.

Thank you.
Link Posted: 11/22/2016 11:36:15 PM EDT
[#6]
Excellent and informative write up.

Enjoyed reading it.

Link Posted: 11/23/2016 12:05:47 AM EDT
[#7]
A few years ago a friend died unexpectedly (RIP Green Beret LTC Ron Ward)
View Quote

Damn.

Ron and I were stationed together in Okinawa a long time ago.  I didn't know he'd passed.  
Link Posted: 11/23/2016 12:10:25 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Damn.

Ron and I were stationed together in Okinawa a long time ago.  I didn't know he'd passed.  
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Damn.

Yep his ultra-light aircraft crashed a few months after he retired.  Killed him and nearly killed his new son in law who recovered and is active duty.

A cracked bolt broke in flight and caused a complete loss of control.

A great man gone before his time.
Link Posted: 11/23/2016 1:03:48 AM EDT
[#9]
Awesome info, and great shooting!
Link Posted: 11/23/2016 1:15:59 AM EDT
[#10]

Thats damn fine shooting in my book.
Link Posted: 11/23/2016 1:19:33 AM EDT
[#11]
Great job, OP! Truly intelligent and diligent prep work on your part.

Farthest I ever shot my AR was 600 yards during a Service Rifle match in Racine, WI. Took a while to get my elevation dialed in, but after that I was thrilled to be hitting 8's and 9's at that distance.

I now shoot matches at a 200 yard range. Not a real distance challenge, but the range is a lot quicker and easier to get to.

Link Posted: 11/23/2016 1:23:44 AM EDT
[#12]
Cool thread, thanks for sharing. Oh and good shooting.
Link Posted: 11/23/2016 1:33:20 AM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 11/23/2016 1:42:29 AM EDT
[#14]
Something I'd like to improve on is the scope mount.  The Burris PEPR is a solid mount but holds the scope a bit higher than iron sights (it feels like it anyway) and lacks enough forward adjustment to allow an NTCH position (my favorite) with the Burris MTAC scope's eye relief.

To overcome the eye relief problem I attached a piece of adhesive backed foam weather stripping to the back of the charging handle so that my nose was 3/8" further back and still had a tactile indicator to help me triangulate my head position.

The scope height thing I just had to deal with and accept a jaw weld instead of a cheek weld.

Does anyone know of a cantilevered scope mount that would be the equivalent of a top third co-witness (placing the center of the scope below the height of iron sights)?

The PEPR mount places the center of the scope 1.6" above the rail (2.8" above the bore centerline).  I'd like to drop that to 1.0 - 1.2" above the top of the rail (2.2 - 2.4" above the bore centerline).  That would get me in the neighborhood of a proper cheek weld.
Link Posted: 11/23/2016 1:48:53 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Something I'd like to improve on is the scope mount.  The Burris PEPR is a solid mount but holds the scope a bit higher than iron sights (it feels like it anyway) and lacks enough forward adjustment to allow an NTCH position (my favorite) with the Burris MTAC scope's eye relief.

To overcome the eye relief problem I attached a piece of adhesive backed foam weather stripping to the back of the charging handle so that my nose was 3/8" further back and still had a tactile indicator to help me triangulate my head position.

The scope height thing I just had to deal with and accept a jaw weld instead of a cheek weld.

Does anyone know of a cantilevered scope mount that would be the equivalent of a top third co-witness (placing the center of the scope below the height of iron sights)?

The PEPR mount places the center of the scope 1.6" above the rail (2.8" above the bore centerline).  I'd like to drop that to 1.0 - 1.2" above the top of the rail (2.2 - 2.4" above the bore centerline).  That would get me in the neighborhood of a proper cheek weld.
View Quote

ADM recon-SL is what you seek. I think they have an extra low cantilever one somewhere too.
Link Posted: 11/23/2016 1:54:14 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

ADM recon-SL is what you seek. I think they have an extra low cantilever one somewhere too.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Behold the power of arfcom!  Less than 7 minutes and I have an answer.

Thanks!  They look perfect.
Link Posted: 11/23/2016 2:01:12 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

View Quote

Also check Nightforce and DNZ for  lower than normal. You won't get 1" but you might get 1.2".

Good for you for shooting slung up, OP!
Link Posted: 11/23/2016 2:07:36 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

What did I learn from this?

2 - A Daniel Defense 16" LW carbine may not beat the 1 MOA ALL DAY CHALLENGE challenge but it can shoot pretty accurately if the shooter does their part.

View Quote

First of all, great shooting!  

For your second point, there is something about the DD LW Barrels, they are fantastic performers.  I have a goal to beat the 1 MOA all day challenge with mine.  

DD American Eagle Varmint by Photographer  Pilot, on Flickr

I think it can do it, if I can just keep my shit together.  
Link Posted: 11/23/2016 2:46:40 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

For your second point, there is something about the DD LW Barrels, they are fantastic performers.  I have a goal to beat the 1 MOA all day challenge with mine.  

<a href="https://flic.kr/p/FpszdX" target="_blank">https://c4.staticflickr.com/2/1640/25863378035_116b20076f_c.jpg</a>DD American Eagle Varmint by Photographer  Pilot, on Flickr

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

2 - A Daniel Defense 16" LW carbine may not beat the 1 MOA ALL DAY CHALLENGE challenge but it can shoot pretty accurately if the shooter does their part.

<a href="https://flic.kr/p/FpszdX" target="_blank">https://c4.staticflickr.com/2/1640/25863378035_116b20076f_c.jpg</a>DD American Eagle Varmint by Photographer  Pilot, on Flickr

I have some 77gr SMK's I'm going to figure out a load for and see what they will do.  If it looks promising I'll try it both ways (unsupported and bagged) to see if I can make it!

Good luck to both of us!
Link Posted: 11/23/2016 3:54:28 AM EDT
[#20]
Great shooting.

Gives me inspiration for my 18" JP.

Txl

Should be a little easier for me,  I'll be 2" closer to the target

Txl
Link Posted: 11/23/2016 6:07:19 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

1200 yards with a 5.56 NATO round qualifies as indirect fire.
View Quote

Not NATO-spec ammo, though.

Link Posted: 11/23/2016 6:28:19 AM EDT
[#22]
Yeahhh, we gon' have to work on that position.
Link Posted: 11/23/2016 6:29:23 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

I have some 77gr SMK's I'm going to figure out a load for and see what they will do.  If it looks promising I'll try it both ways (unsupported and bagged) to see if I can make it!

Good luck to both of us!
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Good luck to both of us!

Good write up and effort.
If you have a 7 twist I suggest 90 SMKs, I have good luck with them, they are much better in the wind than lighter offerings.

Is there a reason you are not using a bipod, was it in the rules of the competition that I missed?
Link Posted: 11/23/2016 6:43:23 AM EDT
[#24]
excellent shooting.
Link Posted: 11/23/2016 9:40:02 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Excellent and informative write up.

Enjoyed reading it.

View Quote

Link Posted: 11/23/2016 10:02:47 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
OST for updates. Very cool OP.
View Quote

I love these sorts of threads - well done OP
Link Posted: 11/23/2016 10:13:48 AM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 11/23/2016 11:03:54 AM EDT
[#28]
Nightforce has lower mounts. 1.375 and 1.25 I believe.
Link Posted: 11/23/2016 11:35:04 AM EDT
[#29]
Solid shooting

I wanted to go. I had a few buddies from the KC area that made it. Unfortunately, I haven't gotten to shoot distance for about 6 months. I didn't feel good about my chances. Anything past 800 with 5.56 gets sketchy fast. My creedmore feels like cheating
Link Posted: 11/23/2016 12:44:06 PM EDT
[#30]
1.375 is about right.  You can also try a GG&G or EGW cantilever rail and medium rings to get the scope forward over the upper to avoid crowding the scope eye-piece in the prone position.

Link Posted: 11/23/2016 1:00:52 PM EDT
[#31]
Geissele has a scope mount for CMP based rifles that you might be interested in.
Link Posted: 11/23/2016 1:05:06 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Good write up and effort.
If you have a 7 twist I suggest 90 SMKs, I have good luck with them, they are much better in the wind than lighter offerings.

Is there a reason you are not using a bipod, was it in the rules of the competition that I missed?
View Quote

Thanks!

I had the 80's on hand so went with that.  The Sierra website says the 90's require a 1:6.5 twist though so not sure how well that would work at extreme long distance.

Just wanted to try it with the rifle I have on hand and use when teaching Appleseeds.  Part of this was to see how long of a distance I could hit with using the Appleseed method.
Link Posted: 11/23/2016 1:16:22 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Yeahhh, we gon' have to work on that position.
View Quote

Looking at the photo of me is another example of "How I think I look" compared to "How I look".

The one complaint I have about the way the match was run is the number of shooters on the firing line at once.  I get why they did it to reduce the time on each distance but it meant the shooters were too crowded to get into an optimum position.

It didn't help me that the gooseneck flatbed trailer I was on had a seam and a big steel roller under my mat where my left leg wanted to lay.  So instead of nice smooth base I was kind of scootching myself to avoid laying my left thigh on a gap with a roller in the middle of it.

Earlier on I was over a position to the right but the shooter to my left was eliminated at 700 yards so I was moved left and took his spot on the roller.
Link Posted: 11/23/2016 1:29:58 PM EDT
[#34]
OST!  I had no idea there was a range there, it's 40 miles from my house.  Wonder how that hid from me for so long, weird!

Anyhoo, fine shooting and thanks for the write up!  I'm going to check into membership at this range, ringing steel at 500 yards is one of the finer things in life!
Link Posted: 11/23/2016 1:37:44 PM EDT
[#35]
Always nice to know you are lethal to 800yd with a sling though.
Link Posted: 11/23/2016 1:41:32 PM EDT
[#36]
This is a great thread, OP. Thanks for sharing.
Link Posted: 11/23/2016 2:07:09 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Always nice to know you are lethal to 800yd with a sling though.
View Quote

As long as the enemy wears bright contrasting clothing and is on a platform above ground cover AND stands at attention while I take my time fidgeting with my position AND stands still while I take a couple rounds to score a hit I'll own them!  
Link Posted: 11/23/2016 6:08:52 PM EDT
[#38]
Results were just posted!

SNIPERGEDDON 2017 Official Results

NAME……………………….CALIBER……………….PLACE……………….# OF MISSES…………………RIFLE

NO HITS
Todd R…………….….308 Winchester…………………………………………. N/A……………….. Savage 10
Christina R…….…...308 Winchester…………………………………………..N/A…………………Mossberg

300 YARDS
Alvin S………………..6.5 Creedmoor………………………………………………5…………………..Ruger Precision Rifle
Kyle H………………..6.5 Creedmoor……………………………………………….5………………….Ruger Precision Rifle
Anthony H…………223 Remington……………………………………………….5………………….Bushmaster AR-15

500 YARDS
Sam B………………6.5 Grendal………………………………………………………9……………………..AR-15
Carl C………………308 Winchester………………………………………………..9……………………Tikka T-3
Michael ………….308 Winchester………………………………………………..5……………………Ruger Precision Rifle
Shawn D………….300 Winchester Magnum…………………………………5………………..Savage Long Range Hunter
Tim Y……………….308 Winchester………………………………………………..5…………………..Remington 700
Garrett M………..7mm Remington Magnum……………………………….5…………………..Remington 700
Chuck C…………..300 Winchester Magnum………………………………..5……………Custom Remington 700
Shawn A………….308 Winchester……………………………………………….4……………..Savage 12 FTR

600 YARDS
Joel M…………....308 Winchester………………………………………………..9………………Remington 700
Gabriel S………….223 Remington………………………………………………...7……………Apache Machine AR-15
Joe N……………….223 Remington…………………………………………………6…………………Savage 12
Jason H……………308 Winchester…………………………………………………6………………Ruger Precision Rifle
Kyle B……………..260 Remington………………………………………………….5………………Remington 700P
Jerry L……………..308 Winchester………………………………………………..5………………GAP Crusader
Dustin W…………6.5 Grendel……………………………………………………..5…………………Custom AR-15
Dillon E……………308 Winchester……………………………………………….5…………………Larue OBR
Cozy M……………308 Winchester………………………………………………..5………………..Ruger Precision Rifle

700 YARDS
Tim D……………..308 Winchester……………………………………………….11………………….Springfield M1A
David P…………..6.5 Creedmoor…………………………………………………12………………GPG AR10 Pattern
Mark S……………6.5x47 Lapua…………………………………………………….7………………..Sako TRG 22
Paul N…………...308 Winchester…………………………………………………7…………………..GAP
Todd H…………..308 Winchester…………………………………………………6…………………K.A. SR-25
Monte  K……….6.5 Creedmoor…………………………………………………..5…………………Ruger Precision Rifle
Austin A…….....308 Winchester………………………………………………….5………………..Custom AR-10
Dan B…………….6.5 Creedmoor…………………………………………………..5………………..Ruger Precision Rifle

800 YARDS
Roger L…….…223 Remington…………………………….…….15…………….Daniel Defense AR-15
Oscar A……….6.5 Creedmoor……………………………………………………13………………..Ruger Precision Rifle
Jim P…………..308 Winchester……………………………………………………9………………….FN SPR
Tim O…………308 Winchester…………………………………………………….9………………….Remingon 700
Matt C……….308 Winchester…………………………………………………….9………………….Weatherby
Roger H……..308 Winchester…………………………………………………….8
Jason D………6.5 Creedmoor………………………………………………………7…………………Browning X Bolt
Steve F……….223 Remington……………………………………………………..7…………………Remingon 700
Chris F……….308 Winchester……………………………………………………..6…………………Remington 700
Brent E………300 Winchester Magnum………………………………………5…………………Remington 700 F-Class
Nate D……….7mm Remington Magnum…………………………………….5…………………Custom Remington 700

900 YARDS
Brian M……..223 Remington……………………………………………………..15………………..Bushmaster Varminter
Clint H……….223 Remington……………………………..3rd -223………….14…………………Remington 700
Jerry B……….300 Winchester Magnum………………………………………12………………..Savage 110 BA
Festus K…....6.5 Creedmoor………………………………………………………11………………..Savage 10T
Reese N……..308 Baldwin Whoop Ass……………………………………….11…………………Remingon 700PSS
Paul S…………30-06……………………………………………………………………..9………………….Ruger 77

1000 YARDS
Jeremy S……308 Remington………………………………………………………18………………….Sig SSG 3000
James…….....308 Remington……………………………………………………..15…………………..Remington 700
Geoff A………308 Winchester…………………………………………………….14…………………..Remington 700
Jaclyn B………223 Remington…………………………..2nd - 223…………..14…………………..Savage
Ken L………….300 Winchester Magnum……………………………………...13………………….Remington 700
Austin M…….308 Remington……………………………3rd - 308…………..11………………….FNH SPR A3G
Reece W…….338 Lapua………………………………………………………………10…………………..Savage 110 FCP
Chris C……….6.5 Creedmoor……………………………………………………….10…………………..Savage Model 10
Jacob L………223 Remington……………………………1st – 223……………10…………………..Savage Model 12
Brian P………6.5 Creedmoor…………………………………………………………9……………………Ruger Precision Rifle
Danny D…….7x300WM……………………………………………………………….8
Brian S………308 Winchester……………………………2nd – 308…………..5……………………Gap Remington 700

1100 YARDS
Michael D…..308 Winchester…………………………..1st – 308…………..8………………………..GAP Hospitaller
Bryan B………30-06…………………………………………………………………….19……………………….Remington 700
Joshua G…….6.5 Creedmoor………………………………………………………19……………………….Surgeon
Harle B……….300 Winchester Magnum……………………………………….7………………………..Remington 700P
CJ A……………243 Winchester………………………………………………………9………………………Ruger Precision Rifle
Shane C……..300 Winchester Magnum………………………………………14……………………..Remington Sendero
Nick G………..6.5x284…………………………………………………………………19………………………Desert Tech SRS
Josh F…………6.5 Creedmoor……………………………………………………..14………………………GAP Remington 700
Juan T………..6.5x284………………………………………………………………….6……………………….GAP Hospitaller
Doug D………6.5 Creedmoor………………………………………………………16………………………Tikka T-3

1200 YARDS
Michael W…6MM…………………………………………………………………….16……………………….Savage Model 12
Mark R……….338 Lapua…………………………………………………………….12…………………………AI AX
Shane B……..338 Lapua…………………………………………………………….11……………………..Savage 112 Target
Travis L………338 Lapua……………………………………………………………..8……………………….Savage 110
Jimmie…….. 375 Cheytac…………………………………………………………..8………………………GAP Custom
Ron D……….300 Winchester Magnum……………………………………….7………………………Savage
Chris N……..338 Lapua………………………………………………………………6………………………..DTA

1500 YARDS
Dustin D…..375 Typhoon…………………………1st – Open……………..3
Witek G…….338 Lapua AI…………………………2nd – Open…………..12…………………………Stiller 338 Tactical
Glenn S…….375 Snipetac…………………………3rd – Open…………..13………………………Apache Machine 375 ST

The yardage a person is listed under is the furthest distance they were able to make a hit.  The number of misses includes the 5 misses at the final distance they failed to make any hits.

I ended up taking 6th out of 9 .223 shooters and 43rd out of 73 shooters total.  I had 15 misses with 4 at 800 and 5 at 900.  I'm pretty sure I was the only one without a bipod and had the shortest barrel (no excuses just stating the facts).

The young lady shooting next to me on the firing line took 2nd in the .223 class and made hits at 1000 yards. No .223 shooter made it to 1100 yards.

The 3 guys who made it to 1500 yards were shooting some pretty exotic rifles and two of them were using calibers I'd never heard of.
Link Posted: 11/23/2016 6:22:18 PM EDT
[#39]
Great write up. Wish we had something like that around here.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 11/23/2016 6:52:40 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Leveling the scope.

Having read about this being a problem I wanted to make sure my reticle was as level as I could possibly make it.  When I first installed it after a couple different attempts using various scope leveling systems that I wasn't convinced worked I used a crosshair style laser level and a level on the top of the receiver rail.  It turns out that the top of the turret cap and turret isn't necessarily square to the reticle and so it makes a lousy reference to set a level on top of.

In the interest of testing my scope to see if it was really level I decided to shoot the Tall Target Test.

View Quote

Great video, thanks for sharing.
Link Posted: 11/23/2016 8:01:29 PM EDT
[#41]
I don't recognize some of those rifles, but are you also the 2nd best semi auto?  I see only Bushmaster Varminter above you.
Thanks for posting!
Link Posted: 11/23/2016 8:05:00 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
I don't recognize some of those rifles, but are you also the 2nd best semi auto?  I see only Bushmaster Varminter above you.
Thanks for posting!
View Quote

I hadn't noticed that but think you're right!
Link Posted: 11/23/2016 8:29:05 PM EDT
[#43]
Where can I buy a 308 baldwin whoop ass?
Link Posted: 11/23/2016 8:43:57 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
View Quote

I've never heard of that one before either, but I think I know Reese and I have his phone number! My guess is it's just a .308 Win and a great sense of humor.
Link Posted: 11/23/2016 8:49:41 PM EDT
[#45]
Good for all of you to be able to see that far!!!!!!!!  
Link Posted: 11/23/2016 9:02:09 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
This is a great thread, OP. Thanks for sharing.
View Quote

Link Posted: 11/23/2016 9:45:59 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

I've never heard of that one before either, but I think I know Reese and I have his phone number! My guess is it's just a .308 Win and a great sense of humor.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I wondered if maybe the shooter was from Baldwin City.
Link Posted: 11/23/2016 10:14:48 PM EDT
[#48]
That must be embarrassing to show up with a 6.5 CM RPR and get no hits at 300 yds. Did they not have them sighted in, like at all?
Link Posted: 11/23/2016 10:32:08 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
That must be embarrassing to show up with a 6.5 CM RPR and get no hits at 300 yds. Did they not have them sighted in, like at all?
View Quote

I'd imagine something or another went wrong.  Maybe the scope mount chose the drive there to come loose or something.
Link Posted: 11/24/2016 12:56:00 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

Yep his ultra-light aircraft crashed a few months after he retired.  Killed him and nearly killed his new son in law who recovered and is active duty.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Damn.

I served with him in Iraq, he was a good man. I was deployed the year he passed away, he would come over and mow the grass for my wife while I was gone.
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top