BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 5
Link Posted: 12/2/2014 2:46:56 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Years ahead of it's time?  The Krieger 5R blank I used in my 6.5x55 rifle is 8.5" twist.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Those have an 8.6" twist? How interesting...

What does that twist rate mean for this caliber?

Years ahead of it's time?  The Krieger 5R blank I used in my 6.5x55 rifle is 8.5" twist.

1-8.5 seems more forgiving in the 6.5s.
Link Posted: 12/2/2014 2:55:11 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:

I don't know. Krags are generally used in Norway, we almost never see them here.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Looks like they are selling for around $700.00 at auction.

Sounds like a lot but if you try to buy just the sights to upgrade a mil-surp it will cost near half that.

They're usually around 200-300$ here.

The target shooting crowd has mostly replaced them with the Sauer 200 STR, so there's plenty of CG-63 and CG-80 floating around.

Speaking of Scandinavian target shooting, what do those people who use Norwegian Krags for the Stand and field speed shooting competitions use to reload quickly?  Looks like a charger of some sort but I can never get a clear view when watching those competitions.

I don't know. Krags are generally used in Norway, we almost never see them here.
http://collectorguns35625.yuku.com/topic/2597/Parashooter-s-Krag-Chargers#.VH1h_skngTB probably those.

Link Posted: 12/2/2014 7:57:24 AM EDT
[#3]
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Looks like they are selling for around $700.00 at auction.

Sounds like a lot but if you try to buy just the sights to upgrade a mil-surp it will cost near half that.

They're usually around 200-300$ here.

The target shooting crowd has mostly replaced them with the Sauer 200 STR, so there's plenty of CG-63 and CG-80 floating around.

Speaking of Scandinavian target shooting, what do those people who use Norwegian Krags for the Stand and field speed shooting competitions use to reload quickly?  Looks like a charger of some sort but I can never get a clear view when watching those competitions.

http://collectorguns35625.yuku.com/topic/2597/Parashooter-s-Krag-Chargers#.VH1h_skngTB probably those.

Neat.
Link Posted: 12/2/2014 9:42:22 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Is the idea to better stabilize a particular weight of projectiles, or to better accommodate a range of weights?

School me.
Link Posted: 12/2/2014 9:52:26 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Is the idea to better stabilize a particular weight of projectiles, or to better accommodate a range of weights?

School me.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

School me.

I'm pretty sure ZR is saying the latter, which would be my experience with my barrel.  From 100 to 140 (and maybe 160, I just haven't tried) it loves them all, at almost any velocity.

Link Posted: 12/2/2014 10:23:38 AM EDT
[#6]
The 1-8 seems to spin the projectiles too hard, so that they fail to trace sometimes at longer ranges, leading to erratic drop calculations.

It's not drastic, but it is there. Seems the Swedes may have been on to this.
Link Posted: 12/2/2014 10:36:29 AM EDT
[#7]
Trade ex in Montreal has a shit ton of these for sale and also a shit ton of husqvarna rifles. My dad has a couple husqvarna crown grade rifles, they're beautiful. I'm gonna pick up a cg63 from trade ex. Why not.

[html]http://www.tradeexcanada.com/content/cg63-target-rifle-65x55-118--[/html]

http://www.tradeexcanada.com/content/cg63-target-rifle-65x55-118--

Fuck I can't even make a link hot
Link Posted: 12/2/2014 11:19:23 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Trade ex in Montreal has a shit ton of these for sale and also a shit ton of husqvarna rifles. My dad has a couple husqvarna crown grade rifles, they're beautiful. I'm gonna pick up a cg63 from trade ex. Why not.

View Quote

Damn that's cheap.  Is there any way to get them shipped into the US?
Link Posted: 12/2/2014 11:38:58 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I understand why Chinese and Russian guns are so much cheaper in Canada, but I don't understand that one.

Is there some kind of cartel thing going on here in the US?
Link Posted: 12/2/2014 12:11:47 PM EDT
[#10]
You could probably find a Kimber Sportered m96 fairly cheap if you look hard enough.
Link Posted: 12/2/2014 1:00:27 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
You could probably find a Kimber Sportered m96 fairly cheap if you look hard enough.
View Quote

I'd consider a sporter if I was looking for a hunting rifle, but I'm interested in something a bit more special.
Link Posted: 12/2/2014 1:03:30 PM EDT
[#12]
Come on group buy!
Link Posted: 12/2/2014 3:17:38 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Come on group buy!
View Quote

Try irunguns.ca or irunguns.com

Or you could just phone trade ex. I thought sporting guns didn't need all those 922r parts?
Link Posted: 12/2/2014 3:22:51 PM EDT
[#14]

DO WANT.
Link Posted: 12/2/2014 3:48:29 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Or you could just phone trade ex. I thought sporting guns didn't need all those 922r parts?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Come on group buy!

Does that work both ways?
Link Posted: 12/2/2014 3:56:13 PM EDT
[#16]
I've emailed Trade Ex about import to the US.  I'll post what they say.
Link Posted: 12/2/2014 4:22:10 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 12/2/2014 4:46:48 PM EDT
[#18]

I just recently discovered them, and I've been shopping their webpage pretty hard...

On one hand, they might have the best surplus firearm listings I've ever seen. I like that each gun is listed individually, that the descriptions are very thorough, and that you can zoom into photos. Sure, the photos could be bigger or higher resolution, but the page is already really damn good. I'm willing to pay a premium for that.

On the other hand, Simpson is charging roughly double what the Canadians are charging for these CG-63s. I understand the legal conditions that make guns like the SVT-40 so expensive here in the US compared to Canada, but why would these target rifles be priced twice as high on our side of the border? Simpson seems to be the only retailer carrying them... Is Simpson just exploiting a lack of competition?
Link Posted: 12/2/2014 5:11:44 PM EDT
[#19]

Thanks!
Link Posted: 12/2/2014 6:07:51 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

I just recently discovered them, and I've been shopping their webpage pretty hard...

On one hand, they might have the best surplus firearm listings I've ever seen. I like that each gun is listed individually, that the descriptions are very thorough, and that you can zoom into photos. Sure, the photos could be bigger or higher resolution, but the page is already really damn good. I'm willing to pay a premium for that.

On the other hand, Simpson is charging roughly double what the Canadians are charging for these CG-63s. I understand the legal conditions that make guns like the SVT-40 so expensive here in the US compared to Canada, but why would these target rifles be priced twice as high on our side of the border? Simpson seems to be the only retailer carrying them... Is Simpson just exploiting a lack of competition?
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Simpson LTD has always been all over the place on prices. I recently bought a SxS 12ga shotgun from them for what I thought was a killer price. What I got was essentially a German best that would cost about $2K anywhere else, $400 shipped from them.
Link Posted: 12/2/2014 6:13:13 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

School me.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

School me.

It's more suited for 120-140gr rounds. The original military twist rate was for the 156gr M/94 round, which otherwise would have trouble stabilizing in cold weather.
Link Posted: 12/2/2014 8:51:12 PM EDT
[#22]
New one to me too OP. Looks like a shooter.
Link Posted: 12/3/2014 1:43:29 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

Simpson LTD has always been all over the place on prices. I recently bought a SxS 12ga shotgun from them for what I thought was a killer price. What I got was essentially a German best that would cost about $2K anywhere else, $400 shipped from them.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I guess the real question is: What are these rifles really worth?

One could make the argument that, since Simpson seems to have the only supply of these rifles in the US, they're worth whatever they can sell them for.

Alternatively, one could look at the other rifles available for the prices Simpson is asking for the CG-63. For example, I could get a brand new CZ 550. The CZ is the more versatile, and it's probably the better deal, but I'm not sure which of the two I'd rather have.
Link Posted: 12/3/2014 3:10:00 AM EDT
[#24]
For anyone interested in any Swedish Mauser rifles I heartily recommend Dana Jones' book "Crown Jewels The Mauser in Sweden" available from Collector Grade Publications (905-342-3434) as well as "The Swedish Mauser Rifles" from North Cape Publications (800-745-9714).

I have a very nice CG-63 and have shot it in competition

accuracy with factory loads is nothing to write home about.
5 shot groups range from 1.1 to 2 inches testing 9 different factory loads at 100
yards using the iron sights

handloads changed things quite a bit
my best handload averaged 2.3 inches and a best of 2 inches at 300 yards
with iron sights, prone with a sling.

My rifle likes 139 Scenars and 140 grain AMAXs

I played with it, made up a few loads, shot it for fun Across the Course out to 600 yards
and stuck it in the rack. I have been meaning to get it out and put it back to work.......

now regarding pricing

I checked a couple articles I wrote and in Oct 2003 a select grade CG-63 cost $595
from Sarco..........for what that is worth.......
Link Posted: 12/3/2014 3:51:48 AM EDT
[#25]
all i want is a stock set for a an m-67 for a build
Link Posted: 12/3/2014 9:51:32 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
For anyone interested in any Swedish Mauser rifles I heartily recommend Dana Jones' book "Crown Jewels The Mauser in Sweden" available from Collector Grade Publications (905-342-3434) as well as "The Swedish Mauser Rifles" from North Cape Publications (800-745-9714).

5 shot groups range from 1.1 to 2 inches testing 9 different factory loads at 100

I played with it, made up a few loads, shot it for fun Across the Course out to 600 yards
and stuck it in the rack. I have been meaning to get it out and put it back to work.......

now regarding pricing

I checked a couple articles I wrote and in Oct 2003 a select grade CG-63 cost $595
View Quote

Were you using RL22?  H4831?  Those are the only two I've tried in my 6.5x55 so far.  RL22 being slightly better on average group size with the same bullet/velocity.
Link Posted: 12/3/2014 10:16:04 AM EDT
[#27]
H4350, if you can find it, is the powder of choice for 6.5s.
Link Posted: 12/3/2014 10:23:16 AM EDT
[#28]
Thanks I'll look for a pound to try.
Link Posted: 12/3/2014 10:23:41 AM EDT
[#29]
Thanks I'll look for a pound to try.
Link Posted: 12/3/2014 11:41:39 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

now regarding pricing

View Quote

Assuming Sarco's prices are reasonable, I guess that warms me up to the idea of paying Simpson's price.

Are those articles online anywhere?
Link Posted: 12/3/2014 12:00:45 PM EDT
[#31]
Swede, ever seen anyone put a Swede Mauser in a Mannlicher style full length stock? I feel like a shortened 1896 with a Mannlicher stock and classic German glass would be an amazing all around classic hunting rifle. I'd never do that to a pristine 1920 made one like mine, but a badly beaten or barreled action might make a neat project. I figured if they are as common over there as you say perhaps it had been done. Basically CZ550FS in 6.5, but built off a Swede.
Link Posted: 12/3/2014 12:04:04 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Swede, ever seen anyone put a Swede Mauser in a Mannlicher style full length stock? I feel like a shortened 1896 with a Mannlicher stock and classic German glass would be an amazing all around classic hunting rifle. I'd never do that to a pristine 1920 made one like mine, but a badly beaten or barreled action might make a neat project. I figured if they are as common over there as you say perhaps it had been done. Basically CZ550FS in 6.5, but built off a Swede.
View Quote

Sure. M96s have been turned into all kinds of hunting rifles.

Mannlicher-type stocks aren't very popular here, but I've seen a few.
Link Posted: 12/3/2014 12:18:54 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
View Quote

You mean like this?  They made several variations over the years.  Harder to find and many are not always matching #'s but they're out there.  (Also some fakes out there too.)  About $800- $900ish if it is a real one I think.

Link Posted: 12/3/2014 12:21:20 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Quoted:

You mean like this?  

http://photos.imageevent.com/badgerdog/swedishservicerifles/1907m94swedishcarbine45785/DSC07797%20_Medium_.JPG

The M94 barrel is a bit too short for the round. 6.5 deserves a 22" barrel.
Link Posted: 12/3/2014 12:35:12 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

You mean like this?  

http://photos.imageevent.com/badgerdog/swedishservicerifles/1907m94swedishcarbine45785/DSC07797%20_Medium_.JPG

I've never had one of the short Swedish carbines but a few guys I know who have said they were still pretty good for what they were.  They are not target rifles with those short barrels.  The one I have is one of the long rifles that was cut down to a short rifle in 1938.  More common and shoots pretty well.  I have heard the the original full length rifle is even better tough.  I have never had one of those either.
On a side note:  The Norwegians also had target/ sniper versions of their Krags in 6.5x55.  The are very hard to find though.  They shot just as well from what I have heard.  I would love to find one of those too.  The 6.5x55 is a great cartridge.

Link Posted: 12/3/2014 12:37:17 PM EDT
[#36]
Best shooting 6.5x55 I had a was a Winchester Mod 70 Featherweight. I really regret selling that rifle.
Link Posted: 12/3/2014 12:49:21 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

It's purely a looks thing for me. There's just something about the classic Mannlicher stock:

I feel like an M96 action needing love would make a beautiful rifle, new barrel, re-blue/chrome everything, order a custom Mannlicher stock. The 6.5 is just a sweet cartridge. I'm really tempted to get one of the CZ550's in 6.5, that way someday I can give it to my son. With its mild recoil and solid ballistics I think it'd make a great first rifle, and honestly a great lifetime rifle.
Link Posted: 12/3/2014 12:59:08 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

It's purely a looks thing for me. There's just something about the classic Mannlicher stock:
http://www.hallowellco.com/mannlicher-stock-smaller.jpg

I feel like an M96 action needing love would make a beautiful rifle, new barrel, re-blue/chrome everything, order a custom Mannlicher stock. The 6.5 is just a sweet cartridge. I'm really tempted to get one of the CZ550's in 6.5, that way someday I can give it to my son. With its mild recoil and solid ballistics I think it'd make a great first rifle, and honestly a great lifetime rifle.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Go for it. You could make a lightweight deer rifle, with timeless looks.

A nice walnut stock never goes out of style.
Link Posted: 12/3/2014 1:08:33 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Soooo, got any of those sniper variant actions with the side rail and scope mount laying around? Wanna smuggle it here
Link Posted: 12/3/2014 2:26:07 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

Soooo, got any of those sniper variant actions with the side rail and scope mount laying around? Wanna smuggle it here
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Nope, sorry.
Link Posted: 12/3/2014 2:41:16 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
Nope, sorry.
View Quote

Bah, well at least now I don't have to ask you to smuggle it here in your butt.

I'll probably just score the CZ someday. Now if only PPU or an American company would churn out a 6.5x55 ball round at similar or cheaper prices to bulk M80 Ball, I'd 6.5 all the things and shoot the shit outa the stuff. Otherwise it's just hunting ammo, expensive match stuff, rare boxes of the mil sniper stuff, or handload.
Link Posted: 12/3/2014 2:45:21 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

I'll probably just score the CZ someday. Now if only PPU or an American company would churn out a 6.5x55 ball round at similar or cheaper prices to bulk M80 Ball, I'd 6.5 all the things and shoot the shit outa the stuff. Otherwise it's just hunting ammo, expensive match stuff, rare boxes of the mil sniper stuff, or handload.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Nope, sorry.

You should reload. You can reload Norma cases a gazillion times before they crack.
Link Posted: 12/3/2014 2:59:24 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

You should reload. You can reload Norma cases a gazillion times before they crack.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Nope, sorry.

I have baby #2 expected in April, and right now I spend almost $400 a month on tolls to commute to work. I'd love to reload someday, but right now it's a time factor as well as $$$. Looks like about $16 a box/20rds is the best I can find on PPU, but it's the 139gr SP.
Link Posted: 12/3/2014 5:11:59 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

I have baby #2 expected in April, and right now I spend almost $400 a month on tolls to commute to work. I'd love to reload someday, but right now it's a time factor as well as $$$. Looks like about $16 a box/20rds is the best I can find on PPU, but it's the 139gr SP.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Nope, sorry.

You can save that PPU brass.  Its good reload brass made to the proper specs.  Lapua and Norma are better but cost much more too.  The American made brass is based off of the 30-06 case base and is not as good as the foreign stuff.  N-160 or IMR 4350, are great powders for 140-ish grain bullets.  IMR 7828 is great for the big 156-160 grain bullets.
You could get a regular Swede Mauser long rifle and you may be surprised how well it shoots.  They cost around $300-$350 I think.  If you want to scope it get one that has already been drilled for it.  (Save the original non bubaed ones please.)
Link Posted: 12/3/2014 11:31:13 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

You can save that PPU brass.  Its good reload brass made to the proper specs.  Lapua and Norma are better but cost much more too.  The American made brass is based off of the 30-06 case base and is not as good as the foreign stuff.  N-160 or IMR 4350, are great powders for 140-ish grain bullets.  IMR 7828 is great for the big 156-160 grain bullets.
You could get a regular Swede Mauser long rifle and you may be surprised how well it shoots.  They cost around $300-$350 I think.  If you want to scope it get one that has already been drilled for it.  (Save the original non bubaed ones please.)
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Nope, sorry.

So... start with a big order of PPU?
Link Posted: 12/3/2014 11:53:26 PM EDT
[#46]
I don't care for the PPU brass I have.  The rebate diameter varies quite a bit and some jam in my shell holders when reloading.
Link Posted: 12/4/2014 12:03:34 AM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:

I have one.
View Quote

DAMMIT!  I want one!  

...and a Husqy, too!!!!

Link Posted: 12/4/2014 12:11:18 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
I don't care for the PPU brass I have.  The rebate diameter varies quite a bit and some jam in my shell holders when reloading.
View Quote

Never had a problem with that.  Are you using the right shell holder?  I'm on my 6th reload on some cases and 4th on most of my PPU cases.  Still no problems with worn out cases. Only a few crapped-up necks that have been my fault for coming down too quickly on the neck sizing die.
Link Posted: 12/4/2014 12:21:33 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

Never had a problem with that.  Are you using the right shell holder?  I'm on my 6th reload on some cases and 4th on most of my PPU cases.  Still no problems with worn out cases. Only a few crapped-up necks that have been my fault for coming down too quickly on the neck sizing die.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yes, but to be fair i only have 40.
Link Posted: 12/4/2014 12:29:31 AM EDT
[#50]

Page / 5
Top Top