Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 7
Link Posted: 11/5/2009 6:42:28 AM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
Lithium batteries can react badly, looks like this was one of those times.

ETA: Page 2 is all mine!!!
Link Posted: 11/5/2009 6:44:00 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
I bet you a pay check it was lithium batteries that got compromised and water got in them somehow........ever seen what happens when you touch raw lithium to water? And being in a tight cylinder like that it acted like a gun barrel.

Guarantee that is what happened.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oxhW7TtXIAM

EDIT: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oxhW7TtXIAM

I appreciate all the ideas, But i cant see water as one of the solutions. I have not been in water lately and  not since this set of batteries. It has been rained on in the last 15 yrs, but not in a couple months anyways. I am pretty sure it is also water proof.
Come to think of it, I dont even think I have built up a good sweat recently.
This was arcing and sparking. Reminded me of thermite, but quick as shit!

It was sparking then blew, I got hit with all that crap and was bent over looking at my legs for damage control when the sneaky bastard almost made me shit my pants.
Link Posted: 11/5/2009 6:44:02 AM EDT
[#3]
WTF!

Good documentation on what happened,
Link Posted: 11/5/2009 6:45:12 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
He is pretty lucky that this happened in an aluminum body flashlight.  Would a G2 have jacked up his hand?

A G2 Nitrolon would probably have melted vented/failed before it shot any parts around at high velocity, making it potentialy much safer. The burns would have sucked, but the flashlight body had more than enough foot pounds to have been lethal if it had hit the OP in the right spot.
Link Posted: 11/5/2009 6:45:28 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 11/5/2009 6:49:52 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

IBKJEHAWIH

In Before Keith J explains how and why it happened.

It blowed the fuck up.  That is what it did.

Stored energy is stored energy.  The CR123 experienced what is called an internal short.  Then the cell "ran away" once the heat built up, it started self discharging.  This caused rapid heating.

The electrolyte in these cells is flammable
.  It is mixed with a powerful oxidizer.  Not a good thing to get hot as it then wants to catch fire.  Or explode as was the case here.

Link Posted: 11/5/2009 6:52:50 AM EDT
[#7]
It's definitely the lithium batteries and/or halogen bulb that went. There's nothing that can cause that type of explosion from regular electronics.
Link Posted: 11/5/2009 6:54:26 AM EDT
[#8]
Daym, and I have a Surefire x300 on my Glock!  Never knew I had so much firepower in the palm of my hand!
Link Posted: 11/5/2009 6:54:38 AM EDT
[#9]
So when is the lawsuit going to be filed ?
Link Posted: 11/5/2009 6:54:55 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

contact surefire, they will at least replace the light. glad no one got hurt

Link Posted: 11/5/2009 6:55:01 AM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 11/5/2009 6:55:18 AM EDT
[#12]
Ah, vent and flame. RC guys have been aware of this stuff for quite some time. I saw a 4s2p pack go up after a crash-looked like a welding arc and completely destroyed the plane...

If it's any comfort, you have that same battery chemistry in your cell phone, laptop, bluetooth earpiece and tons of other gadgets. Keep them out of the heat-140 or so and some cells go bang...
Link Posted: 11/5/2009 6:56:13 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I bet you a pay check it was lithium batteries that got compromised and water got in them somehow........ever seen what happens when you touch raw lithium to water? And being in a tight cylinder like that it acted like a gun barrel.

I appreciate all the ideas, But i cant see water as one of the solutions. I have not been in water lately and not since this set of batteries. It has been rained on in the last 15 yrs, but not in a couple months anyways. I am pretty sure it is also water proof.

Come to think of it, I dont even think I have built up a good sweat recently.

This was arcing and sparking. Reminded me of thermite, but quick as shit!

It was sparking then blew, I got hit with all that crap and was bent over looking at my legs for damage control when the sneaky bastard almost made me shit my pants.

Yeah, I'm thinking the theory of mixing old/new batteries or ones with dissimilar charges perhaps is the culprit.  Either way, those lithium batteries store up a shit load of energy and lookout if it ever discharges rapidly.

Link Posted: 11/5/2009 6:57:11 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

So, lithium battery + cut + water = Glock like behavior

Old Painless, you want a project that goes BOOM (just Kidding)

Link Posted: 11/5/2009 6:59:55 AM EDT
[#15]
tag for fear
Link Posted: 11/5/2009 6:59:58 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Great documentation of the incident

Oh, lord. He has set a new standard of evidence. Everyone is now screwed from this point on. HAH

Video frames FTW!
Link Posted: 11/5/2009 7:00:29 AM EDT
[#17]
I think I need to reconsider having a surefire in my pocket however. Man if that was in a front pocket I hate to think what might have happened and in the winter I carry a Surefire in my pocket quite a bit with 123s.
Link Posted: 11/5/2009 7:00:35 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Ah, vent and flame. RC guys have been aware of this stuff for quite some time. I saw a 4s2p pack go up after a crash-looked like a welding arc and completely destroyed the plane...

If it's any comfort, you have that same battery chemistry in your cell phone, laptop, bluetooth earpiece and tons of other gadgets. Keep them out of the heat-140 or so and some cells go bang...

Lithium chemistries have issues with run-away because of the very thin separators and flammable electrolytes.  But CR123 and lithium ion/polymer have different chemistries, the only common element is lithium.

Link Posted: 11/5/2009 7:01:38 AM EDT
[#19]
Tag

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 11/5/2009 7:03:21 AM EDT
[#20]

I didn't even know that was possible.  

I guess now, I know.

It makes sense though.

Incredible documentation!
Link Posted: 11/5/2009 7:03:49 AM EDT
[#21]
IB87GN
Link Posted: 11/5/2009 7:05:04 AM EDT
[#22]

Damn.

Maybe I better re-think keeping one of those on my headboard about 8 inches from the top of my head.
Link Posted: 11/5/2009 7:05:40 AM EDT
[#23]

Link Posted: 11/5/2009 7:05:49 AM EDT
[#24]
holy shit, that's the worst (best) surefire KB yet

Link Posted: 11/5/2009 7:05:50 AM EDT
[#25]
So basically you had an unregistered NFA destructive device???

Hide your dog, the ATF will be there shortly.

Sarcasm for all the others who don't know.
Link Posted: 11/5/2009 7:08:28 AM EDT
[#26]
Glad the monster under the back seat of my Prius is NMH...

I'm not familiar with the voltage of CR123s, but do lithium 1.5 volt AA batteries have this same potential, or is there too little there to be much of a problem?
Link Posted: 11/5/2009 7:09:39 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Are your batteries as ancient as that box appears to be, or do you just reuse it? I don't know if old batteries would matter or not, but that was my first thought.

This, they haven't used that box for a number of years.
Link Posted: 11/5/2009 7:10:44 AM EDT
[#28]
Now imagine that happening in your NVGs while you're wearing them.  

ETA: I'm sure surefire will make it right.  Their customer services with me has always been top-drawer.
Link Posted: 11/5/2009 7:10:56 AM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

Quoted:

IBKJEHAWIH

In Before Keith J explains how and why it happened.

It blowed the fuck up. That is what it did.

Stored energy is stored energy. The CR123 experienced what is called an internal short. Then the cell "ran away" once the heat built up, it started self discharging. This caused rapid heating.

The electrolyte in these cells is flammable
. It is mixed with a powerful oxidizer. Not a good thing to get hot as it then wants to catch fire. Or explode as was the case here.

Link Posted: 11/5/2009 7:12:44 AM EDT
[#30]
Tag for response from Surefire.
Link Posted: 11/5/2009 7:12:53 AM EDT
[#31]
Can't believe I made it to page two. IBTFFB

In Before The Fenix Fanboys.

Seriously, as a longtime Surefire user, I can't wait to hear the SF response. Their service is excellent and I'm sure they'll want you to box up everything and send it to them to be checked out.
Link Posted: 11/5/2009 7:12:54 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Are your batteries as ancient as that box appears to be, or do you just reuse it? I don't know if old batteries would matter or not, but that was my first thought.

5 Yrs maybe? I bought four or five boxes. They are supposed to have good shelf life.

ETA:
Email was sent to Surefire. I will update as I get a reply.
Link Posted: 11/5/2009 7:13:36 AM EDT
[#33]
awesome.
Link Posted: 11/5/2009 7:14:04 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

Lithium is what can make a meth lab explode.

I have heard of this with batteries which were not designed for flashlights being used, but those are surefire batteries......

I would guess that the batteries were just a little too old for the task at hand.

Link Posted: 11/5/2009 7:14:37 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Glad the monster under the back seat of my Prius is NMH...

I'm not familiar with the voltage of CR123s, but do lithium 1.5 volt AA batteries have this same potential, or is there too little there to be much of a problem?

Yes. This is an old topic and has happened many times over at candlepowerforums with li-ion batteries.

His light is a multi battery light. Looks like a 2 123A cell. If the cells were not similar in power such as replacing a single one he could have a much higher likelihood of this happening as well.

Make sure when you put cells into your light that they are not damaged, cut, dented, and they are both the same height (think bullet setback). If you don't want to deal with this and as an added precaution check the voltage of both cells it's recommended to use a single cell in an EDC light sometimes as some people do fear this happening.

I check my batteries for physical defects and always replace both at the same time.
Link Posted: 11/5/2009 7:16:05 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

5 Yrs maybe? I bought four or five boxes. They are supposed to have good shelf life.

ETA:
Email was sent to Surefire. I will update as I get a reply.

Does your box state 10 year shelf life? I think some surefire boxes did.
Link Posted: 11/5/2009 7:16:31 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Quoted:

I have heard of this with batteries which were not designed for flashlights being used, but those are surefire batteries......

I would guess that the batteries were just a little too old for the task at hand.

Any spark combined with a diethy-ether-enriched atmosphere is a recipe for a fireball.
Link Posted: 11/5/2009 7:17:33 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

Great documentation of the incident

+1

in your video still shots  .. i could not help it..  I kept trying to see ghosts.  
Link Posted: 11/5/2009 7:17:42 AM EDT
[#39]
Yea, CR123's do that.

Alkalines?  Not so much.
Link Posted: 11/5/2009 7:18:10 AM EDT
[#40]
wow i have never seen nor heard of this from surefire, last year we had a officer safety warning about some generic 123's that some agency in pa were using they had some horrible accidents lights exploding while riding in the pouch couple of officers got burned pretty bad on the back and sides. m3 taclights exploding while on their duty weapons. we were told to use nothing but surefire or streamlight 123's after that.
Link Posted: 11/5/2009 7:19:32 AM EDT
[#41]
I'm gonna go out on a limb here and predict that this will be a looooong and interesting thread.

Now I'm worried that my SureFire by the bed is gonna spontaneously combust and burn the fucking HOUSE DOWN.  
Link Posted: 11/5/2009 7:21:26 AM EDT
[#42]
How hard would it be to photoshop the word Glock on that flashlight????
Link Posted: 11/5/2009 7:23:25 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Any spark combined with a diethy-ether-enriched atmosphere is a recipe for a fireball.

Yes, and with the new shake and bake methods, the only spark introduced is created by the lithium.  No outside heat sources used.

Link Posted: 11/5/2009 7:24:36 AM EDT
[#44]
tag

and wear a cup next time

btw, have you contacted SF, i would want a new flashlight and additional info!

Link Posted: 11/5/2009 7:25:19 AM EDT
[#45]
Holy crap!

I'm glad nobody was seriously hurt!
Link Posted: 11/5/2009 7:25:52 AM EDT
[#46]
wow, i have one of those on my SBR...sweet, fuck 5.56 I am launching rockets now.

edit:  So do I want it pointing forward like normal or turned around pointing at me?  Which way does it fire, light side or cap side?

Link Posted: 11/5/2009 7:29:54 AM EDT
[#47]
Any possibility those are counterfeit batteries? seems like I read something a couple yrs ago about counterfeit surefire batteries showing up at gunshows.
Link Posted: 11/5/2009 7:30:28 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
Quoted:

They've got a shelf life of ten years, they weren't "too old", at least not according to manufacturer specs.

Sorry if it's not a comfortable answer to those who burn through 123's like they were cord wood, but sometimes they just do that.  Newer cells have vents and supposedly improved QC to try to mitigate these issues, but it's only "mitigate", not "solve".

Check out the candlepower forums.  They've had a few documented instances of similar failures, and they tend to do the same thing we do here after we see one.. We throw some blame around, ignore the root cause of the issue, and forget all about it in short order.

IIRC there was a Pelican light that grenaded in some guy's kitchen cabinet a few years back on CPF.  Surefire batteries, that I remember specifically.  I've seen reports of the same from other brands as well, but there just aren't that many CR123 battery factories out there, and a lot of 'em are going to be identical production in different wrappers.

Don't worry about it though.. Surefire will likely replace the light and cells and that'll satisfy the SF fanboys, then someone will point out the energy density of the 123 cell and it's superiority in lots of ways to standard alkalines, and somehow that'll all overcome the occasional small threat of explosion without warning and we'll all go happily on with our days.
Link Posted: 11/5/2009 7:30:42 AM EDT
[#49]
I've seen pictures from another light that KB'd awhile back.  Check over on candlepowerforums maybe.  It's geek central for flashlight stuff.
Link Posted: 11/5/2009 7:32:34 AM EDT
[#50]
Damn. Contact Surefire and see what they say.
Page / 7
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top