Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 4
Link Posted: 1/11/2010 6:19:12 AM EDT
[#1]
Looks pretty good.

As far as the MDF, if it works it works. If not, your out 5 bucks and 10 minutes replacing it.

ETA: Mine is similar, and was very sturdy. It didn't move much to begin with, but I attached it to studs in the wall, and it doesn't move at all now.
Link Posted: 1/11/2010 6:19:59 AM EDT
[#2]
"Tis a fine vessel, matey.  
Link Posted: 1/11/2010 6:27:00 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
MDF? Fucking fail.

Wait till the first time you get it wet.

Next time, buy plywood.

It's 10X better than the OSB the link suggests. I hit my MDF with some Thompsons and it will survive water much better in the long run. I used 3/4" cabinet grade ply for my workbench but I think that is overkill and too nice to drill or clamp on.
Link Posted: 1/11/2010 7:03:03 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
MDF? Fucking fail.

Next time, buy plywood.

Wow.  

I built a very similar looking bench in my garage back in '99.  It was 2' deep and 12' wide.  I used MDF for the top as well.  I moved out in '09 and after 10 years of hard useage and plenty of spills and wet beer cans I never had a problem with it swelling.  I used MDF because the edges were easier to route into a nice smooth radiused edge and I used screws so I could easily replace it if it bacame too worn.  In 10 years I never did have to replace it.  I think you're anxieties are getting the best of you.
Link Posted: 1/11/2010 7:10:36 AM EDT
[#5]
I built one of those but I used 7/16" OSB for the top and bottom.

It works fine as a reloading bench in my apartment.
Link Posted: 1/11/2010 7:13:39 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
If your worried about the water, you could always get a sheet of laminate and contact cement it to the top.  I think it looks pretty good.

this........nice little bench for apartment dwellers

We have to be creative in our workspaces
Link Posted: 1/11/2010 7:17:00 AM EDT
[#7]
Very nice.  When I was refinishing my basement last year I have some extra 2x4s and wood material.  I used all of that to make a work bench similar to that.
Link Posted: 1/11/2010 7:17:49 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Quoted:
MDF? Fucking fail.

Next time, buy plywood.

Wow.  

I built a very similar looking bench in my garage back in '99.  It was 2' deep and 12' wide.  I used MDF for the top as well.  I moved out in '09 and after 10 years of hard useage and plenty of spills and wet beer cans I never had a problem with it swelling.  I used MDF because the edges were easier to route into a nice smooth radiused edge and I used screws so I could easily replace it if it bacame too worn.  In 10 years I never did have to replace it.  I think you're anxieties are getting the best of you.

A lot of people think MDF=particle board, the two are not the same thing.
Link Posted: 1/11/2010 7:25:23 AM EDT
[#9]
Great write up.  I built two of these benches using the same plans only a little longer.  I need to build another one for my reloading table.
Link Posted: 1/11/2010 7:28:32 AM EDT
[#10]
That is a great DIY project.  I've been looking for something just like that.  One thing I'll do is frame the back and put pegboard on it.  

thanks for posting this!
Link Posted: 1/11/2010 7:34:01 AM EDT
[#11]
these threads, with their damn clean and clear workspaces make me want to cry with envy
Link Posted: 1/11/2010 7:41:56 AM EDT
[#12]
Looks a lot like the one I built last summer.  Except mine is longer, probably a little taller, and I put it on casters so that I could roll it around.  I also used 7/8" chip board and covered it in some leftover Hurculiner I had.  Works really well.

Link Posted: 1/11/2010 7:47:40 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Looks a lot like the one I built last summer.  Except mine is longer, probably a little taller, and I put it on casters so that I could roll it around.  I also used 7/8" chip board and covered it in some leftover Hurculiner I had.  Works really well.

http://i293.photobucket.com/albums/mm64/shtblocker/DSC01746Medium.jpg

http://i293.photobucket.com/albums/mm64/shtblocker/DSC01745Medium.jpg

A true ARFCOM photo!

Link Posted: 1/11/2010 8:24:56 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Is there a crocodile in that cage?

ETA: Maybe a dog lying on its side

Link Posted: 1/11/2010 8:33:23 AM EDT
[#15]
Looks great.  Thanks for the materials list.  I'm going to make one with caster wheels on the bottom for the gungeon.
Link Posted: 1/11/2010 8:37:30 AM EDT
[#16]
i used these same plans to build one over the summer.  the only difference is i went ahead and hooked up a few electrical outlets on mine.  good job by the way.
Link Posted: 1/11/2010 8:46:45 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
MDF? Fucking fail.

Next time, buy plywood.

I built 2 of the EXACT same benches he did, one for reloading, one with a drill press, grinder and vice on it, neither have had any issues with water over the 4 years I've had them. If they ever get that bad, i'll buy another sheet of mdf.

Now my friend who borrowed my table saw to build a sub box for his car, and left the mdf outside of my garage while it rained... He did not have the same experience.
Link Posted: 1/11/2010 9:09:59 AM EDT
[#18]
I think the mdf is better than the plywood for the weight mdf gives it.  work bench like that should be heavy enough to stand solid.  plywood tends to be pretty light.  if you don't laminate it I would hit it with some sealer of some kind.  one poster above was right about the mdf not being the same as particle board.  its considerably denser than partical board and a whole lot more durable.
Link Posted: 1/11/2010 4:19:04 PM EDT
[#19]
Thanks for all the comments!

The reason I chose the MDF was for its weight. It adds a lot of heft to the desk and is a nice, smooth top. I'm not working on cars on this bench, it's for reloading and minor gunsmithing stuff (stocks, parts fitting, etc.). I plan on adding a gunsmith vice and my reloading press. It should be PLENTY strong for that.
Link Posted: 1/11/2010 5:10:48 PM EDT
[#20]
I built mine from the same group of plans too haha. Has held up really good, and even recently built a frame for a peg board behind the bench that is held in place with clamps. I too live in an apartment and needed something I could move without too much of a problem. Probably going to build another one soon, current one is both my work bench and computer desk.

Probably spent around 40-50 bucks since I went with nicer wood for the top.
Link Posted: 1/11/2010 7:05:10 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
That's not a medium duty bench.  It's heavy duty all the way.  I used a kit to make a custom stand for a 110 gallon fish tank.  That's 917 pounds of water alone.

http://i404.photobucket.com/albums/pp130/txgp17/IMG_0212.jpg

well, "heavy duty" to me means a 2" thick laminated rock maple top and really hefty steel legs.    nice tank setup!

ar-jedi

Link Posted: 1/12/2010 1:17:43 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
I have the same bench...from the same plans.

Been in my garage for about 5 years...been working great.

I did a second bench a little taller and gave the original to my dad a while back.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v453/leadnbrass/IMG_0420.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v453/leadnbrass/IMG_0421.jpg

I like the PVC mallet holder.  I think i'll add it to my bench tomorrow.  
Link Posted: 1/12/2010 10:15:23 AM EDT
[#23]
I'm probably going to make a cut out for a stainless steel food tray in mine.  that way I can keep cleaning supplies and lube in there, w/o worrying if they'll roll off.  I can also use it to keep disassembled bolt carriers and other loose parts in there while cleaning the gun.

Link Posted: 1/12/2010 12:38:26 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
I'm probably going to make a cut out for a stainless steel food tray in mine.  that way I can keep cleaning supplies and lube in there, w/o worrying if they'll roll off.  I can also use it to keep disassembled bolt carriers and other loose parts in there while cleaning the gun.

http://www.user-agent.org/stuff/images/stainless_food_trays.jpg

That's a good idea.
Link Posted: 1/13/2010 6:38:19 AM EDT
[#25]
4 years on my MDF top so far. But then again I cut a piece of hardboard I had laying around to fit on the top for when I am working with solvents and other liquids.

The one thing I would recommend is to add a back plate. It is a pain when something rolls off the back of a workbench. I used a 2x4 for mine and then put one of those extra long power strips on it.
Link Posted: 1/13/2010 6:54:13 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
MDF? Fucking fail.

Next time, buy plywood.

i was about to post the same but see you got it already
Link Posted: 1/13/2010 7:02:48 AM EDT
[#27]
Looks similar to mine except I used 4x4's for the legs and 2x6's for the frameout.. That bitch sat on the ground like the Rock of Gibraltar.
Link Posted: 1/13/2010 7:03:20 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
I have the same bench...from the same plans.

Been in my garage for about 5 years...been working great.

I did a second bench a little taller and gave the original to my dad a while back.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v453/leadnbrass/IMG_0420.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v453/leadnbrass/IMG_0421.jpg

All your filings from the safe drop on to the fire extinguisher?
Link Posted: 1/13/2010 7:09:23 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

The reason I chose the MDF was for its weight. It adds a lot of heft to the desk and is a nice, smooth top. I'm not working on cars on this bench, it's for reloading and minor gunsmithing stuff (stocks, parts fitting, etc.). I plan on adding a gunsmith vice and my reloading press. It should be PLENTY strong for that.

That bench will absolutely not hold up to the stress of a reloading press.

In fact, I would call the entire thing a "light duty" type of table.

Plus you should have recessed the shelf underneath a few inches to give room for your legs and feet while standing at the bench
Link Posted: 1/13/2010 7:10:58 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
MDF? Fucking fail.

Next time, buy plywood.

Wow.  

A lot of people think MDF=particle board, the two are not the same thing.

MDF sags under load and breaks apart from vibration and impact

plywood it aint
Link Posted: 1/13/2010 7:16:50 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Quoted:

That bench will absolutely not hold up to the stress of a reloading press.

In fact, I would call the entire thing a "light duty" type of table.

Plus you should have recessed the shelf underneath a few inches to give room for your legs and feet while standing at the bench

It will if you dont attach the press to the MDF top. You need to use long bolts and drill through the MDF AND the 2x4 on the front. Attach the press using bolts with the largest washers you can fit on both top and bottom. It'll hold. I dont know how well the MDF will handle that stress but the washers should keep it from falling apart too quickly.

If the press mounting holes are too far back to mount tot he 2x4 on the front and you only mount to the MDF all bets are off, I dont know if it would work or not.
Link Posted: 1/13/2010 7:20:45 AM EDT
[#32]
Two suggestions: Add 2X4 braces under the MDF top and diagonal braces at the corners. You'll be GTG for a LONG time with that bench. I say this after 30+ yrs. in cabinet work and carpentry. I've built a LOT of benches and tables. Good job, too.
Link Posted: 1/13/2010 7:25:59 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Quoted:
MDF? Fucking fail.

Next time, buy plywood.

Wow.  

and you live where?

for those of us in the south mdf = mega fail.

plywood is actually cheaper. the OP could have had his lowes/HD cut up a sheet of 23/32 which is about $14 for the wood, for free.

otherwise the rest of his project looks great. heck if he'd gone plywood instead and spent a few extra bucks on 2x4s or 2x3s he could have 2 shelves!
Link Posted: 1/13/2010 7:29:59 AM EDT
[#34]
Same as mine, except I slimmed it down to fit inmy apartment, used plywood for the top, and extended the back posts to allow for a pegboard to be attached. Makes an excellent reloading bench.

Link Posted: 1/13/2010 7:30:55 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Looks fine. Basically, mine are the same except my stand-ups are 2 X 6, heres a unit I built for reloading and some ammo storage, Skeleton wise, the same as yours, just flushed out a bit more:

http://i302.photobucket.com/albums/nn82/Taipan01/reloading.jpg

Heres it's baby brother. My cleaning/work bench on casters so the two can be joined up:

http://i302.photobucket.com/albums/nn82/Taipan01/Workbench.jpg

Between what I had lying around from prior projects and what I bought specifically for them, I may have shelled out about $250.00. I don't think I could have gotten close for one, never mind both store bought.

Well look at you, Fancy!

seriously though, very nice!
Link Posted: 1/13/2010 9:04:04 AM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Is there a crocodile in that cage?

ETA: Maybe a dog lying on its side

Not a crocodile, but an Alleegator!!!

....get it?  Her name is Allee.  

I do actually use that as her nickname though, along with Allee-cat.  

Link Posted: 1/13/2010 9:11:23 AM EDT
[#37]
I found some plans online as well.  Slightly different but I still like the way it turned out.

Link Posted: 1/16/2010 4:30:23 PM EDT
[#38]
I used laminated 3/4" particleboard for mine.  Neighbor lent me his miter saw, which made it much faster.  

You can see the stainless steel bin that will have a cut-out once I borrow his jig saw.

I took a slightly different path than the OP.  I also assembled the two 2' x 4' horizontal frames first.  I laid them on a flat floor and figured out which one was straighter.  that became the top.  I then screwed the legs on.  I then flipped it over, put two plastic bins of the same size underneath the lower horizontal frame, and then put a level across to make sure it was straight.  It was

I'm also going to attach three 2x4"s so that I can hang peg board from the back.

Fun project, but if I had to do it again, I'd probably make it 3' wide instead of 4'.

Link Posted: 1/17/2010 5:07:32 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
I used laminated 3/4" particleboard for mine.  Neighbor lent me his miter saw, which made it much faster.  

You can see the stainless steel bin that will have a cut-out once I borrow his jig saw.

I took a slightly different path than the OP.  I also assembled the two 2' x 4' horizontal frames first.  I laid them on a flat floor and figured out which one was straighter.  that became the top.  I then screwed the legs on.  I then flipped it over, put two plastic bins of the same size underneath the lower horizontal frame, and then put a level across to make sure it was straight.  It was

I'm also going to attach three 2x4"s so that I can hang peg board from the back.

Fun project, but if I had to do it again, I'd probably make it 3' wide instead of 4'.

http://i217.photobucket.com/albums/cc295/B055H0GG/GunbenchARCenturion.jpg?t=1263691514

Looks good!
Link Posted: 1/18/2010 5:36:53 AM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:

http://i217.photobucket.com/albums/cc295/B055H0GG/GunbenchARCenturion.jpg?t=1263691514

I hope you return the favor and don't do it too often.  I have a neighbor who never hesitated asking to borrow stuff but I never got anything in return except for a few thank yous.  Didn't take me long to figure it out and cut him off.  He's a dumbass and probably just didn't even know any better.  2 years of saying no every time he needed my help or needed to borrow a tool, he finally figured it out.  Don't be that guy.

Link Posted: 1/18/2010 5:58:57 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
MDF? Fucking fail.

Next time, buy plywood.

Wow.  

and you live where?

for those of us in the south mdf = mega fail.

plywood is actually cheaper. the OP could have had his lowes/HD cut up a sheet of 23/32 which is about $14 for the wood, for free.

otherwise the rest of his project looks great. heck if he'd gone plywood instead and spent a few extra bucks on 2x4s or 2x3s he could have 2 shelves!

I used a drafting table for a workbench with an oak base and a 1.5 inch pine top and my reloading press still cracked the top

MDF is light duty stuff, it's mostly used for very low load applications like the backs of cabinets

The fact that your MDF top held up for a few years just means it didnt get used very hard

Also, MDF sags under load.

Fail

Link Posted: 1/18/2010 6:04:50 AM EDT
[#42]
Tag
Link Posted: 1/18/2010 6:08:39 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
Quoted:
MDF? Fucking fail.

Next time, buy plywood.

No big deal. Just throw a piece of masonite like he used for the bottom shelf over it, shiny side up. Or a sheet of laminate. An application of contact cement and some screws and it'll last forever.

And it can be relayered with another piece if needed.
Link Posted: 1/18/2010 6:11:06 AM EDT
[#44]
Very similar to mine, I think it's a common design. I reinforced mine to include the vise on the right.
Link Posted: 1/18/2010 6:14:45 AM EDT
[#45]
Just found my project for next weekend. I've been looking for a set of plans for a good workbench.

Thanks OP
Link Posted: 1/18/2010 6:22:43 AM EDT
[#46]
I mounted a Rock Chucker press on my particle board top and loaded thousands of rounds and it's still in good shape. I also mounted a 6" vise and used the bench every day.  
No fail here!
Link Posted: 1/18/2010 6:23:23 AM EDT
[#47]
Here is a plan that I worked up myself.  The top is made of 2x6 and the legs are paired 2x4 mortised to accept the side pieces.  Everything is held together with carriage bolts and washers so that I can tighten them as the wood shrinks over time.  Not shown in the drawing are the plywood sides and back and the 1x6 backsplash.  The table is 5' wide, just shy of 2' deep and about 44" tall.  I will be building doors for the storage area underneath this year.

Admittedly, I have a table saw with a dado blade and that makes thing easier.  When I build the next bench, I will do some things differently.  Including a solid plywood top.  But this thing is sturdy!

All my reloading supplies are stored underneath and if necessary I can bolt the table to the wall.  My reloading presses are bolted to 1x10 and clamped to the table as needed.

I will try to get pictures of the completed bench tonight.

Link Posted: 1/18/2010 6:24:37 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
these threads, with their damn clean and clear workspaces make me want to cry with envy

This thread reminds me, I need to clean out the garage. I've been putting it off due to hunting and inclement weather, but's it's nice today. It's so bad I worry about appearing on hoarders!
Link Posted: 1/18/2010 6:56:35 AM EDT
[#49]

Note to self: another idea to steal from ar-jedi.  To the OP nice job, looks like it will do the job nicely.
Link Posted: 1/18/2010 6:59:08 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
Shoulda saved the money for a washer and dryer...  

lol, beat me to it
Page / 4
Top Top