Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 35
Link Posted: 2/16/2017 5:50:54 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

My wife grabbed a set off Amazon, I think they are Iron Bull brand maybe?
They seem okay and probably a good match for my expertise level.
they also came with lifting straps but I havent used them yet.
View Quote

lol sweet. When my straps wore out I looked around for weird off brands I'd never heard of trying to find a funny logo, came across a company called anvil fitness. So I snagged those, seemed fitting.
Link Posted: 2/16/2017 5:54:04 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

lol sweet. When my straps wore out I looked around for weird off brands I'd never heard of trying to find a funny logo, came across a company called anvil fitness. So I snagged those, seemed fitting.
View Quote

haha nice! :D
Link Posted: 2/17/2017 12:15:03 PM EDT
[#3]
Solace, what are your current PR's?
Link Posted: 2/17/2017 1:31:00 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Solace, what are your current PR's?
View Quote

I havent gotten to test too many.

Squat was 275 I think.
Bench I think was 175

Havent "officially" tested dead or OHP
but ill guess my OHP is 150 or so and dead is probably 250
Link Posted: 2/17/2017 2:42:40 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

I havent gotten to test too many.

Squat was 275 I think.
Bench I think was 175

Havent "officially" tested dead or OHP
but ill guess my OHP is 150 or so and dead is probably 250
View Quote

I was keeping pace with you until I hurt myself last fall. Started in again a couple weeks ago and now I'm a bit behind.
Link Posted: 2/17/2017 3:35:25 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

I was keeping pace with you until I hurt myself last fall. Started in again a couple weeks ago and now I'm a bit behind.
View Quote

I hear ya, hurting my shoulder then getting sick set me back a tad.
Been going hard lately on the big stuff. happy with bench progress lately. OHP and squat dont seem to be slowing down much.
Just keep at it man.
Link Posted: 2/22/2017 10:38:05 AM EDT
[#7]
Strengths coming back pretty quick. I was able to work up to 250x2 on my deads.
Link Posted: 2/23/2017 8:35:14 PM EDT
[#8]
bench today, the app projects me to do 203 for 1 rep.
Id like to feel out 185 here soon...
Link Posted: 2/24/2017 12:09:47 AM EDT
[#9]
Get some!!! Got anyone that you can bribe that you trust to spot you for a session? Clear 185 and 225 is right around the corner.
Link Posted: 2/24/2017 9:35:15 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Get some!!! Got anyone that you can bribe that you trust to spot you for a session? Clear 185 and 225 is right around the corner.
View Quote

I do not.
I use safety bars though so no worries if I cant press it back up.
Link Posted: 2/27/2017 8:16:15 PM EDT
[#11]
had 2 45s on the bar today, figured I'd try and OHP it. Got one rep. So that was my max
Did the 5/3/1 set, I forget how many reps it was now but  it projected me at like 137 which seems dead on.
Link Posted: 2/27/2017 9:29:57 PM EDT
[#12]
Awesome. Still doing boring but big? How's it working out?
Link Posted: 2/27/2017 11:10:44 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Awesome. Still doing boring but big? How's it working out?
View Quote

nah I dropped it after the shoulder stuff.
I was thinking about it today though, instead of 50 (5x10) reps thought about doing:
5/31 of OHP then 5x5 of bench
then 5/3/1 on Deadlift then 5x5 on squat
then flip it the next two days.
All that across 4 days of course.
Link Posted: 2/27/2017 11:34:09 PM EDT
[#14]
Sounds interesting. What about 3x10? That way you are in the hypertrophy range more. Just a thought, similar total reps. I'm trying to format my training in a smarter way right now. I kind of feel like I've played out how I was training and need to get smarter to keep getting stronger. I posted a video from a Dave Tate in the 5/3/1 thread you might find interesting. Lots of good advanced knowledge.
Link Posted: 2/28/2017 12:12:22 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Sounds interesting. What about 3x10? That way you are in the hypertrophy range more. Just a thought, similar total reps. I'm trying to format my training in a smarter way right now. I kind of feel like I've played out how I was training and need to get smarter to keep getting stronger. I posted a video from a Dave Tate in the 5/3/1 thread you might find interesting. Lots of good advanced knowledge.
View Quote

Yeah 3x10 would work too.
Ive made my own stuff again but sometimes I just dont feel like Ive gotten enough work out of it.
I feel like Ive made chest gains though which is what I want. Incline bench, chest fly's and just more bench press have helped alot.
But I do feel like I need more hypertrophy and less actual exercises. I enjoy focusing hard on a few things than trying to spread
my energy out over a bunch of stuff.
So maybe ill do that.
Ill check that video out tomorrow!
Link Posted: 2/28/2017 3:51:15 PM EDT
[#16]
So I watched that video you posted.
I dig it. I like his philosophy.
I think ill probably watch it again and let some things sink in further.

I like what he said about less weight and slower reps. My nephew did a body building competition a long while back and that is literally what he said about bench press to me. slow the movement down to about 8 seconds and it will kill ya.
Ive been focussing on my weak points and kind of round them out a bit or bring some up while trying not to lose on others.
My shoulders have come a long way, my triceps are great. Ive made noticeable progress on chest, Ive felt like my bench has improved alot.
I feel like 90% of things are on the right track. Id like to see biceps and shoulder gains, but overall, not bad.

The downside is my gut has grown again. It drives me insane because I cant stand this look/feeling:

Im thinking of doing keto for just a bit and try and at least look like ive been to the gym vs the buffet, know what I mean?
My birthday is in may, maybe that could be a cut goal timeframe.
I dunno, any opinions either way on all that?
Link Posted: 2/28/2017 4:26:54 PM EDT
[#17]
Yeah I recommend re-watching it a few times. I watched it again today too. Remember it is geared towards supplemental/assistance work. What I am getting from it is that there are essentially 3 layers. Main work, supplemental work(stuff to make your main work stronger), and assistance work(stuff to make the supplemental stuff stronger). In his context it seemed geared towards lifters that have really advanced past anything resembling linear progression or progressive overload being the primary driver in strength. So this is about figuring out ways to get stronger at things that will improve your lifts and then also get stronger at those things with other things. Pretty cool stuff to think about.

If you feel like your fatness is too high, then yeah go for it and cut. I wouldn't worry too much about going keto unless it is just easy for you or you want to. Since your fat and protein is dialed in for gains I would consider leaving those alone and just create a deficit by reducing carbs and take a 5-10 min walk after you eat a few times a day.
Link Posted: 3/3/2017 1:44:20 PM EDT
[#18]
Interesting day.
One of my friends I went to college with (havent seen in a long while) "Liked" an Arnold Conference or something on Facebook. I asked him if he lifts, he said he did. This guy was as scrony as me just taller (who isnt taller than me?) He said his bench is in the 300's etc etc. Said he eats about 3k calories 300g protein and everything just shot up.

Man that makes me feel like crap.

On the plus side, squat was 275x5 today, projected now to be 315.
Link Posted: 3/3/2017 2:45:36 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Interesting day.
One of my friends I went to college with (havent seen in a long while) "Liked" an Arnold Conference or something on Facebook. I asked him if he lifts, he said he did. This guy was as scrony as me just taller (who isnt taller than me?) He said his bench is in the 300's etc etc. Said he eats about 3k calories 300g protein and everything just shot up.

Man that makes me feel like crap.

On the plus side, squat was 275x5 today, projected now to be 315.
View Quote

Congrats on the squat. I think when I squatted 3 plates for the first time that was one of the hardest lifts I have ever done. Good times. Don't worry about your buddy, he isn't you and hasn't had to fight your battles. You just keep sticking with it and you'll get where you're going.
Link Posted: 3/3/2017 3:29:49 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

Congrats on the squat. I think when I squatted 3 plates for the first time that was one of the hardest lifts I have ever done. Good times. Don't worry about your buddy, he isn't you and hasn't had to fight your battles. You just keep sticking with it and you'll get where you're going.
View Quote

pretty true, he is alot younger than me too, almost 10 years.
I just decided I was going to get all the AMRAP and did it. When should I try for 300? or just let it come up in the app?

Im going to start that 3x10 concept next week.
Id like to do it plus ONE accessory item.
Example:
5/3/1 OHP, 3x10 Bench press, barbell curl.
then on the flip day
5/3/1 Bench, 3x10 OHP, skullcrushers

Ive been doing shoulder/chest fly's but I dont have a good variety of dumbbells. I can go heaviest I have and then just go REAL slow maybe...

My upper body is the weakest so Im trying to keep the focus there really. If I never went past 300 on squat Id be completely happy (at least for a little while).
Link Posted: 3/3/2017 3:43:07 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

pretty true, he is alot younger than me too, almost 10 years.
I just decided I was going to get all the AMRAP and did it. When should I try for 300? or just let it come up in the app?

Im going to start that 3x10 concept next week.
Id like to do it plus ONE accessory item.
Example:
5/3/1 OHP, 3x10 Bench press, barbell curl.
then on the flip day
5/3/1 Bench, 3x10 OHP, skullcrushers

Ive been doing shoulder/chest fly's but I dont have a good variety of dumbbells. I can go heaviest I have and then just go REAL slow maybe...

My upper body is the weakest so Im trying to keep the focus there really. If I never went past 300 on squat Id be completely happy (at least for a little while).
View Quote

Yeah the 3x10 version of BBB seems like a really reasonable approach. It is hard getting 5x10 at any weight that is challenging, especially if your rest between sets isn't unlimited.

I would probably just keep trucking along with the app as long as everything still feels challenging but do able. If things get too easy or too hard or too monotonous it is time to look at what needs to be done to fix it. So unless you have a reason to have 300 in the bag(personal milestone counts as a reason) I would just stick to the plan. When squats are killing you, just remember that they will help build your bench faster.
Link Posted: 3/3/2017 4:18:49 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

Yeah the 3x10 version of BBB seems like a really reasonable approach. It is hard getting 5x10 at any weight that is challenging, especially if your rest between sets isn't unlimited.

I would probably just keep trucking along with the app as long as everything still feels challenging but do able. If things get too easy or too hard or too monotonous it is time to look at what needs to be done to fix it. So unless you have a reason to have 300 in the bag(personal milestone counts as a reason) I would just stick to the plan. When squats are killing you, just remember that they will help build your bench faster.
View Quote

right on brother.
Im just going to stick with the plan and tweak as needed.
Link Posted: 3/6/2017 3:43:06 PM EDT
[#23]
started the 3x10 and it feels GOOOD
I did 50% of 1RM and did the reps super slow, 6-8 seconds on the way down. Burn city.

Id like to find one that targets delts real hard, any ideas?
Link Posted: 3/6/2017 4:12:50 PM EDT
[#24]
For rear delts you can set your bench on a decent incline, lay with your stomach on the bench, let your arms(with dumbbells) swing below the bench and just control open and close them(make sure your scapula is retracted, as always). Do that for all the reps and your rear delts should catch on fire.

Then there are rear delt raises. I like to go at a slight outward angle instead of straight back.

Face pulls(you can do these with bands).

Banded pull aparts.

I think that is about all I do for rear delts...
Link Posted: 3/6/2017 5:19:57 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
For rear delts you can set your bench on a decent incline, lay with your stomach on the bench, let your arms(with dumbbells) swing below the bench and just control open and close them(make sure your scapula is retracted, as always). Do that for all the reps and your rear delts should catch on fire.

Then there are rear delt raises. I like to go at a slight outward angle instead of straight back.

Face pulls(you can do these with bands).

Banded pull aparts.

I think that is about all I do for rear delts...
View Quote

cool ill implement a few of those.
Link Posted: 3/9/2017 3:49:26 PM EDT
[#26]
Forgot to update tuesday. Kids are sick again double strep throat.

Why do deadlifts kill me? Of all the 4 lifts that one just taxes me the hardest.

Today was 3x10 OHP was perfect weight it was work but man it feels good after.
Shoulder getting irritated again which sucks because I had not even started bench yet. The popping and cracking is a big distraction sometimes.
Slow and steady just going to keep moving forward with care.

I love 3x10 type stuff even though I feel like it gets me hurt alot. I feel like I get the most gains out of that type of work. Im trying to balance out my macros again and adjust down the carbs just a touch and just eat "enough" for workout energy.

I need to figure out about recovery during workout times. I feel like if I dont rest enough I fatigue but if I rest too much I lose the momentum. Its odd. Ive been trying to drink a bottle of water with each meal and it has helped alot with my digestion issues.

Things are still going good just going to try and sqeeze as many gains as I can.
Link Posted: 3/9/2017 8:55:14 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Forgot to update tuesday. Kids are sick again double strep throat.

Why do deadlifts kill me? Of all the 4 lifts that one just taxes me the hardest.

Today was 3x10 OHP was perfect weight it was work but man it feels good after.
Shoulder getting irritated again which sucks because I had not even started bench yet. The popping and cracking is a big distraction sometimes.
Slow and steady just going to keep moving forward with care.

I love 3x10 type stuff even though I feel like it gets me hurt alot. I feel like I get the most gains out of that type of work. Im trying to balance out my macros again and adjust down the carbs just a touch and just eat "enough" for workout energy.

I need to figure out about recovery during workout times. I feel like if I dont rest enough I fatigue but if I rest too much I lose the momentum. Its odd. Ive been trying to drink a bottle of water with each meal and it has helped alot with my digestion issues.

Things are still going good just going to try and sqeeze as many gains as I can.
View Quote

Because deadlifts are awesome.
Link Posted: 3/9/2017 9:38:49 PM EDT
[#28]
Deadlifts should be the most taxing. If they weren't I'd be worried. Just eat more protein.
Link Posted: 3/16/2017 10:44:34 PM EDT
[#29]
How's it going? Crushing it?
Link Posted: 3/17/2017 7:10:25 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
How's it going? Crushing it?
View Quote
Hey man! I've had mixed days. Some days im like "I have to have not put the right weight on the bar..." other days I just get through it. I dunno what the fluctuation is about.
Ive tried different workout times, different meals beforehand, different foods before hand, different pre-workouts. Cant tell any difference in anything. The kids have been sick again, double strep throat.

I went ahead and decided to do a small cut and balance things back out. I got to a point where just the thought of eating anything nearly made me vomit. Its been WAY easier to hit my protein goal for some reason. Effortlessly eat 215g of protein in a day now.  

I also think im going to swap some stuff around, OHP + squats and then bench press + deadlifts. This way Im working everything each day and I can keep everything "active". I feel like the first of the week is upper body heavy and the end is lower body heavy so I think this will work out better.

My lower back has been tight as hell for some reason. We got a new mattress and I dont know if that has something to do with it or not. My lower back gets real tight during squat and deadlift and with them on the same day maybe im over doing that. Ive been trying to get more sleep and drink a ton of water.

Thinking of picking up some stuff on the weekends, more hypertrophy and Id like to work with that slingshot more on bench press. Ive been doing a few of those shoulder exercises you suggested. Ive slowed down a ton of my work just to really drive home time under tension. Im concerned though, I work biceps really hard doing real slow barbel curls, they are screaming at the end but the next day not sore or anything. To me id think they would be a little bit sore. It makes me question if I am working out hard enough, maybe preacher curls would work better? I always question myself at the end of the day "did you do everything you could have? are you doing enough?"
Link Posted: 3/17/2017 11:28:09 PM EDT
[#31]
You sound like a meat head now.

A good workout doesn't always mean you'll be sore afterwards. Just measure your progress, whether it's pounds, reps, or inches.

If preworkout isn't cutting it and you need a pick me up there is always smelling salts(nose tork) and ammonia inhalants. That shit'll get you going. But sometimes it is just good to take a break from stimulants.

How many cycles of 5/3/1 have you run?
Link Posted: 3/18/2017 7:48:18 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

A good workout doesn't always mean you'll be sore afterwards. Just measure your progress, whether it's pounds, reps, or inches.

If preworkout isn't cutting it and you need a pick me up there is always smelling salts(nose tork) and ammonia inhalants. That shit'll get you going. But sometimes it is just good to take a break from stimulants.

View Quote
Impossible!
Link Posted: 3/18/2017 9:15:00 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

Hey man! I've had mixed days. Some days im like "I have to have not put the right weight on the bar..." other days I just get through it. I dunno what the fluctuation is about.
Ive tried different workout times, different meals beforehand, different foods before hand, different pre-workouts. Cant tell any difference in anything. The kids have been sick again, double strep throat.

I went ahead and decided to do a small cut and balance things back out. I got to a point where just the thought of eating anything nearly made me vomit. Its been WAY easier to hit my protein goal for some reason. Effortlessly eat 215g of protein in a day now.  

I also think im going to swap some stuff around, OHP + squats and then bench press + deadlifts. This way Im working everything each day and I can keep everything "active". I feel like the first of the week is upper body heavy and the end is lower body heavy so I think this will work out better.

My lower back has been tight as hell for some reason. We got a new mattress and I dont know if that has something to do with it or not. My lower back gets real tight during squat and deadlift and with them on the same day maybe im over doing that. Ive been trying to get more sleep and drink a ton of water.

Thinking of picking up some stuff on the weekends, more hypertrophy and Id like to work with that slingshot more on bench press. Ive been doing a few of those shoulder exercises you suggested. Ive slowed down a ton of my work just to really drive home time under tension. Im concerned though, I work biceps really hard doing real slow barbel curls, they are screaming at the end but the next day not sore or anything. To me id think they would be a little bit sore. It makes me question if I am working out hard enough, maybe preacher curls would work better? I always question myself at the end of the day "did you do everything you could have? are you doing enough?"
View Quote
For that low back tightness, I assume that you already know about the benefits of foam rollers.  Also, play with your foot position on squats and deadlifts.  Sometimes changing to sumo can positively affect your hip position.
Link Posted: 3/18/2017 9:32:19 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

View Quote
currently on 13th cycle.
Ive basically only used pre-workout 2 days a week (the heavy squat deadlift days) so I may toss it altogether for a bit.
Ive been wondering if I shouldnt cycle the creatine off for just a bit as well.
Link Posted: 3/18/2017 9:33:34 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

For that low back tightness, I assume that you already know about the benefits of foam rollers.  Also, play with your foot position on squats and deadlifts.  Sometimes changing to sumo can positively affect your hip position.
View Quote
I have really been thinking of getting a foam roller of some kind!
Link Posted: 3/22/2017 9:14:00 AM EDT
[#36]
well we're all sick again.
Thats probably where my energy has been.
I did 5/3/1 set monday and didnt even attempt 3x10 just went to bed.
Felt bad about it yesterday so hammered it. I did 3x10 on bench and just used 90 lbs but really slow again then stretched the chest in between sets. Real sore today.
Link Posted: 3/22/2017 9:29:35 AM EDT
[#37]
That sucks everyone is sick again. Really jacks everything up. At least you still got after it!
Link Posted: 3/22/2017 10:02:46 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
That sucks everyone is sick again. Really jacks everything up. At least you still got after it!
View Quote
Yeah I had hoped this was deload week, nope heavy week.
Link Posted: 3/22/2017 10:04:24 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

Yeah I had hoped this was deload week, nope heavy week.
View Quote
GET SOME!
Link Posted: 3/22/2017 10:05:44 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

GET SOME!
View Quote
Hope to, maybe this cold will just be 24 hours or somethng.
Link Posted: 3/23/2017 2:26:27 PM EDT
[#41]
Thank-you for this thread OP, one of the best reads on here and excellent motivation for the next time my fat ass doesn't want to squeeze out one last rep.

Log out and back in 
Link Posted: 3/23/2017 9:03:19 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
Thank-you for this thread OP, one of the best reads on here and excellent motivation for the next time my fat ass doesn't want to squeeze out one last rep.

Log out and back in 
View Quote
wow thanks!
Man I just wish I had made more gains since I started. I just keep telling myself its a process and it takes time.
Ive been really slacking lately, I cant wait to get over this cold. Its really dropped my strength.
Im glad I inspire somebody though. That means the most to me.
Link Posted: 3/25/2017 12:14:10 PM EDT
[#43]
Okay. I think Im "back".
got some much needed rest last night and woke up kinda early today.
Not 100% but I got through my workout today and did some extra to make up for the week.

I didnt get my amrap but got 2/5 @90% load.
I did 3x10 OHP need more weight on the bar I think, ill up it next time a tad.
Went ahead and threw on some more slow bench, 3x5 normal, 2x5 heavier.

Feels good to be able to finish a workout again.
Link Posted: 3/26/2017 5:54:47 AM EDT
[#44]
Sounds like a good day!
Link Posted: 3/31/2017 3:22:37 PM EDT
[#45]
another 4 weeks down today.
Energy levels are gtg again. We got a new mattress a few weeks ago and at first we thought it would be the death of us. (ghost bed/pillows) We almost returned it, but, they company wanted you to at least try it for 30 days (120 days to return it). So we gave it some time and its WAY better. So sleep is going nice now and I think that could help springboard some momentum for me as well.
I also cut calories back a shade. I have not lost any weight though, which is real strange. I may drop them another 100 to see if i can get the ball rolling while still being cautious. protein has been easy to hit since I swapped to salmon over chicken.

May 22nd ill be 36 years old. I took measurements and put them in Jefit on May 22 of 2016. So ill have a year to compare to, so that will be interesting. In the meantime I think I like the mix days (OHP/squat, Bench/Deadlift) Everything is constantly getting worked and engaged through the week.
Link Posted: 4/6/2017 2:16:25 PM EDT
[#46]
Well after some thought I decided to skip the cut thing and just go for broke.
Ive figured out a few things to eat that are easier to digest for me and still get my protein and calorie goals.
Going to focus on bench and deadlift and see if I can move past this wall i feel like I have hit.

also tried a new pre-workout, its pretty nice. It drinks more like a gatorade than a preworkout i think.

Im going to do my best to pace this so i dont burn out, both in eating and it workload. Just like work deload I feel like I need food deload sometimes.

right now I set calories at about 2500, protein is around 220g. I think both of those are pretty fair all things considered. I try and weigh my diet to match the workload. Im not sure I am doing enough to use up that much protein. Its hard to gauge.
Link Posted: 4/6/2017 3:43:48 PM EDT
[#47]
Right on man. Yeah I tried that preworkout too. They gave me a few samples at gnc. It replaced their old preworkout "ravage." I picked up a few containers of ravage on clearance for $10/ea when that happened. lol
Link Posted: 4/6/2017 4:03:46 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
Right on man. Yeah I tried that preworkout too. They gave me a few samples at gnc. It replaced their old preworkout "ravage." I picked up a few containers of ravage on clearance for $10/ea when that happened. lol
View Quote
I like it so far.
Link Posted: 4/6/2017 6:08:48 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
Well after some thought I decided to skip the cut thing and just go for broke.
Ive figured out a few things to eat that are easier to digest for me and still get my protein and calorie goals.
Going to focus on bench and deadlift and see if I can move past this wall i feel like I have hit.

also tried a new pre-workout, its pretty nice. It drinks more like a gatorade than a preworkout i think.

Im going to do my best to pace this so i dont burn out, both in eating and it workload. Just like work deload I feel like I need food deload sometimes.

right now I set calories at about 2500, protein is around 220g. I think both of those are pretty fair all things considered. I try and weigh my diet to match the workload. Im not sure I am doing enough to use up that much protein. Its hard to gauge.
View Quote
2500 calories is cutting for me.
Link Posted: 4/6/2017 7:04:38 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

2500 calories is cutting for me.
View Quote
how tall are you and how much do you weigh now?
Page / 35
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top