BCM
User Panel

Page / 5
Link Posted: 3/29/2015 2:23:08 AM EDT
[#1]
LiquiMoly 5w30
Link Posted: 3/29/2015 2:46:14 AM EDT
[#2]
Mobil 1 5/30 from Costco on sale for my 2004 Dodge 2500 w/Hemi.

M1 10/30 from Costco on sale for my 1964 Impala.

Rotella T5 in the 4 stroke Honda and in my 85 F350 460.

Shit, I can't even remember the type of 2 stroke oil for the KTM, Motorex I think?
Link Posted: 3/29/2015 2:51:50 AM EDT
[#3]
Mobil One.  5-20.  
Link Posted: 3/29/2015 2:59:13 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Mobil 1 full synthetic
View Quote

This.  

For my bike, I run Rotella 15W40.  It's diesel oil, so it doesn't have any friction modifiers to mess up my clutch.  Cheap and good oil.

Link Posted: 3/29/2015 3:12:37 AM EDT
[#5]
Mobil 1 is garbage ...

AMSOIL FTW
Link Posted: 3/29/2015 3:38:21 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Mobil 1 is garbage ...

AMSOIL FTW
View Quote

How is Mobil 1 garbage?
Link Posted: 3/29/2015 3:40:39 AM EDT
[#7]
Castrol Syncock or Motorcraft.
Link Posted: 3/29/2015 3:41:42 AM EDT
[#8]
Valvoline Full Synthetic, been using it for years, don't see any reason to change.

I expect this thread to get lulzy, people are as dogmatic about motor oil as they are carry pieces.
Link Posted: 3/29/2015 3:43:25 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

How is Mobil 1 garbage?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Mobil 1 is garbage ...

AMSOIL FTW

How is Mobil 1 garbage?

It doesn't cost 9 bucks a quart, so it must be garbage.
Link Posted: 3/29/2015 3:48:39 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Mobil 1 is garbage ...
AMSOIL FTW

How is Mobil 1 garbage?

I wouldn't call it garbage, but years ago when Castrol started selling Group 3 oils as "full synthetic", Mobil 1 switched over from Group 4 PAO to the Group 3 base stocks as well in order to stay price competitive. Both had previously made high quality, Group 4 PAO synthetics. Group 3 oils are known to have issues with high temperature break down, and high pressure shearing, especially in high performance and turbo charged applications.

That switch to Group 3 has lowered their quality to the same as most of the other things you can buy on the shelves at Walmart, which has lowered their regard in the automotive enthusiast world. Don't even get me started on the parafin based garbage sold in the yellow bottles...

Link Posted: 3/29/2015 3:49:39 AM EDT
[#11]
Rotella T6 synthetic in my motorcycle because it is cheap and the reviews are great. Delo in my truck but that is just because it is usually the cheapest.

Quoted:

Call me when those trucks are being raced while making 200+ hp/liter.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
My current fav is Pennzoil Ultra Platinum, with a bottle of lubro moly mos2 added. Purrs and revs like a Siberian tiger.
What ever I can buy the cheapest..Two trucks with almost 200K on each one of them with no motor issues ever..   High dollar synthetic is for suckers.

Do those trucks last over 200K?? Either way what is your point? This thread was not "What do you use in your race trucks"

Link Posted: 3/29/2015 3:51:33 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Rotella T6 synthetic in my motorcycle because it is cheap and the reviews are great. Delo in my truck but that is just because it is usually the cheapest.
Do those trucks last over 200K?? Either way what is your point? This thread was not "What do you use in your race trucks"

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

My current fav is Pennzoil Ultra Platinum, with a bottle of lubro moly mos2 added. Purrs and revs like a Siberian tiger.

What ever I can buy the cheapest..Two trucks with almost 200K on each one of them with no motor issues ever..  High dollar synthetic is for suckers.

I was mostly making a smartass overly broad statement in response to his clearly uninformed overly broad statement.

Anyone who tears down high performance motors with any frequency will quickly see the difference between good lubricants and poor lubricants.

Link Posted: 3/29/2015 3:53:08 AM EDT
[#13]
That yellow bottle shit is Mobil, not Mobil1, same company but even Mobil1 didn't want to sully their name too much.
Link Posted: 3/29/2015 3:53:32 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

I wouldn't call it garbage, but years ago when Castrol started selling Group 3 oils as "full synthetic", Mobil 1 switched over from Group 4 PAO to the Group 3 base stocks as well in order to stay price competitive. Both had previously made high quality, Group 4 PAO synthetics. Group 3 oils are known to have issues with high temperature break down, and high pressure shearing, especially in high performance and turbo charged applications.

That switch to Group 3 has lowered their quality to the same as most of the other things you can buy on the shelves at Walmart, which has lowered their regard in the automotive enthusiast world. Don't even get me started on the parafin based garbage sold in the yellow bottles...

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Mobil 1 is garbage ...

AMSOIL FTW

How is Mobil 1 garbage?

And at the end of the day none of that matters for the average vehicle in average operating conditions.
Link Posted: 3/29/2015 3:57:37 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

And at the end of the day none of that matters for the average vehicle in average operating conditions.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Mobil 1 is garbage ...

AMSOIL FTW

How is Mobil 1 garbage?

I had heard that Mobil 1 quality had decreased, but it also coincided with Wal-Mart carrying it in 5 quart jugs at an amazing price.  It's may not be as good as it used to be, but it's much more affordable and still good.  I like it.
Link Posted: 3/29/2015 3:59:36 AM EDT
[#16]
My Titan truck gets that purple shit in 5w30 flavor

Link Posted: 3/29/2015 4:07:04 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Mobil 1 is garbage ...
AMSOIL FTW

How is Mobil 1 garbage?

I totally agree. I put Castrol Syntec in my Mazda and my wife's Honda, because neither makes enough power to get out of their own way, and are regularly maintained daily drivers. Use the right tool for the job. The only point of using the super nice oils in these types of cars is the greatly increased OCI's, but both of mine are DI cars and have issues with fuel/oil dilution so I like to keep them on fairly low OCI's.

I use the high quality, boutique stuff in my "race" car, and my old Landcruiser. Both are abused pretty much the entire time they are running, and both have flat tappet heads and need much more zinc than is included in today's SM/SN oils (yay EPA!).

Link Posted: 3/29/2015 4:12:21 AM EDT
[#18]
Rotella...because it doesn't matter enough to use anything $.01 more expensive.

Link Posted: 3/29/2015 4:13:00 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

I use the high quality, boutique stuff in my "race" car, and my old Landcruiser. Both are abused pretty much the entire time they are running, and both have flat tappet heads and need much more zinc than is included in today's SM/SN oils (yay EPA!).

View Quote

pics of Cruiser?
Link Posted: 3/29/2015 4:20:02 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Rotella...because it doesn't matter enough to use anything $.01 more expensive.

View Quote

Rottella T is all I used in my Yota pickup from 270,000 to 450,000 miles,
Link Posted: 3/29/2015 4:24:05 AM EDT
[#21]
BMW tells me I like Castrol TWS. The only oil they want in their M motors.

ETA:

Quoted:
My car has a single spec oil:  Castrol TWS 10W-60
View Quote
Link Posted: 3/29/2015 4:28:57 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Mobil 1 is garbage ...

AMSOIL FTW
View Quote

How is Mobil 1 garbage?
View Quote

View Quote

View Quote

View Quote

Yep, I ran Mobil 1 in the 2006 Mazdaspeed 6 I used to have and my wife's old 2004 Mazda 6. I know both current owners, and they are still on the road running like brand new. Matter of fact, I just rode in the 2004 Mazda with 101K+ last weekend, motor still runs like the day we drove it off the lot. Shit, I even ran one change in the Speed 6 for almost a year out to 10,000 miles.
Link Posted: 3/29/2015 4:30:50 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:
pics of Cruiser?
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

pics of Cruiser?

Its nothing fancy. Not one of the cool kid FJ40's. I call her the turd wagon.

Link Posted: 3/29/2015 4:32:28 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

http://i149.photobucket.com/albums/s72/Kanatii/2012-01-28_16-36-18_387.jpg

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

pics of Cruiser?

I like it!  60s are my favorite.
Link Posted: 3/29/2015 4:35:45 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

pics of Cruiser?

I dig it.
Link Posted: 3/29/2015 4:37:20 AM EDT
[#26]
Amsoil all the things!
Link Posted: 3/29/2015 5:50:29 AM EDT
[#27]
I've been using Mobil 1 Full Synthetic 5W20. Just changed my oil yesterday, actually.

If price were not an issue then I'd still be using Royal Purple. I got tired of paying $80 for just the oil.
Link Posted: 3/29/2015 6:19:36 AM EDT
[#28]
Mobil 1 5w-20 in the Honda Accord 2.4L and the Mercury Grand Marquis4.6L
Mobil Clean 5000 in the F150 4.6L
Either Wix or Napa Gold (made by Wix) Filters

Anything that I buy new or less than 100K on the clock gets Synthetic oil as long as I own it, and I'm religous about 5K oil changes.  Anything that I buy that has over 100K on the clock gets dino oil and religous oil changes at 3K.
Link Posted: 3/29/2015 6:19:38 AM EDT
[#29]
Total Quartz 9000 5w-40 for gas engines.

BMW LL-01, MB 229.5 and Porsche A40 spec at less than half the price of Mobil1 locally.  

Delo 400 for the diesels.
Link Posted: 3/29/2015 7:02:05 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Whatever major brand is on sale at the time I need it.  
View Quote

This. With regular oil changes I get the cheapest. I have used Valvoline, Pennzoil, and Castrol. Purolator filters.
Link Posted: 3/29/2015 7:12:21 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
I've used Pennzoil for 24 years now and I have no complaints.
View Quote

Pennzoil for 38 years here.....no complaints!
Link Posted: 3/29/2015 7:19:42 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I've used Pennzoil for 24 years now and I have no complaints.

Times have changed.  If you're driving a 38-year-old Chevy, yeah use Pennzoil.  If you're driving a car made this millennium, use affordable synthetic.  No need to change it every 3k either.  5k and 10k are popular change intervals.  I go 10k.

Link Posted: 3/29/2015 7:26:55 AM EDT
[#33]
Mobil 1. You got to watch some of these brands of oil, they come out with something new and then discontinue it. I want a brand that I can find on the shelves for years to come.
Link Posted: 3/29/2015 7:34:29 AM EDT
[#34]
Pennzoil in the Miata and no more lifter tick.
Link Posted: 3/29/2015 7:44:49 AM EDT
[#35]
Mobil 5000 5w20  I got for cheap.  Still have about a case and  half left out of the three cases I bought severeal years ago.  Not sure what I'll get next.  Probably whatevers on sale.  Won't buy so much next time.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 3/29/2015 7:49:18 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Castrol Syncock or Motorcraft.
View Quote

Auto correct gone wild...

Link Posted: 3/29/2015 7:51:20 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
mobil1
View Quote

Link Posted: 3/29/2015 7:51:24 AM EDT
[#38]
Valvoline .45 Auto with beans.
Link Posted: 3/29/2015 7:51:52 AM EDT
[#39]
Whatever is on sale except Castrol....if you live a cold climate this stuff thickens much faster and can turn to taffy.  Check out temp/viscosity comparison videos.
Link Posted: 3/29/2015 8:03:55 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Whatever is on sale.

The vast majority of people neither change their oil, have avast enough fleet, or have the proper equipment to analyze the used oil to give truly informed advice.
So their opinions are utterly worthless and nothing more than a popularity contest.

Simply choose the oil that has the proper grade that is required for your car’s engine at the cheapest price and be done.
View Quote

This is not the place for an intelligent post.  Everyone wants to just brag about how much money they throw away on the most expensive special oil they can find.

Traveller Oil from tractor supply. $9.50 per gallon.
Link Posted: 3/29/2015 8:05:40 AM EDT
[#41]
Whatever is on sale at the time.

Change your oil regularly and don't over think it.
Link Posted: 3/29/2015 8:11:09 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
Mobil 1 full synthetic
View Quote

+1.  This.  I have 165k on my Tacoma. Still runs like new.  Change every 5k.
Link Posted: 3/29/2015 8:18:30 AM EDT
[#43]
Royal Purple in the Prius.

Link Posted: 3/29/2015 8:21:53 AM EDT
[#44]
Valvoline 10w30 in the gas engines.  Wife's "girly Jeep" Compass gets fresh Valvoline 5x20 oil & filter every 2500mi.  

Rotella 15w40 in the 7.3 fuel oil engines each 5k miles.

As previously stated, change often because oil & filters are cheap.  Engine overhauls are not.

Synthetic?  Nah, it's 110% more better because marketing.
Link Posted: 3/29/2015 8:26:22 AM EDT
[#45]
Castrol!  Enough said now mods kill the thread.
Link Posted: 3/29/2015 8:27:15 AM EDT
[#46]
Mobil 1 synthetic but last time I added a quart of Lucas oil stabilizer that I got from Napa.
Link Posted: 3/29/2015 8:29:40 AM EDT
[#47]
German Castrol.
Link Posted: 3/29/2015 8:33:17 AM EDT
[#48]
Resolute from Fleet farm- none better or cheaper.
Link Posted: 3/29/2015 8:34:11 AM EDT
[#49]
Kendall
Link Posted: 3/29/2015 8:46:41 AM EDT
[#50]
Whatever's cheap.

I use 3k change intervals (it's what the manual says) which sometimes become 4k intervals.

I care more about the filter than I care about the oil.  

Most of my driving is at highway speed.  

Page / 5
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top