User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 3
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 2/21/2017 11:12:03 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I remember back in the 90's when the Rotte was the scary dog of the moment. I've met more nice Rotte's then bad ones.

Its all about how you raise them.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Whelp.  It is settled. Thanks OP.
I remember back in the 90's when the Rotte was the scary dog of the moment. I've met more nice Rotte's then bad ones.

Yeah, 100's of years of breeding means nothing
If you luv your shit bull enough they will turn into a goldfish, since it's all about the luv.
Link Posted: 2/21/2017 11:15:39 AM EDT
[#2]
Girlfriend had one years ago that could be described as "sweet and playful" until one day it got the neighbors ankle biter in its mouth. It then in a "sweet and playful" manner, proceeded to chomp on two people trying to save the ankle biter.
 Girlfriend was delusional and defended that dog no matter what, I wanted to put a bullet through it's head after that.
Link Posted: 2/21/2017 11:18:26 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

So it's hard to ignore those testimonials, but easy to ignore the testimonials of the 99.999951% who aren't attacking anyone? I mean, if that's your bias, cool, but own it.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Not mindless killers, but as stated above, if they get going, they tend not to stop.

-14 years on patrol and every aggressive dog call starred pits....including the call where I got to hold a two year old boy as he died in my arms after being mauled by three of them.

I'm not for banning these dogs...I just can't trust them after dealing with them on the job.

Pretty hard to ignore these kinds of testimonials...

So it's hard to ignore those testimonials, but easy to ignore the testimonials of the 99.999951% who aren't attacking anyone? I mean, if that's your bias, cool, but own it.

Oh I do.

Ask every pit owner if they are qualified to handle that breed.

Most will say - not only yes, but hell yes.

The rest will refuse to admit their powerful dog doesn't require them to pay any more attention than a Lab or a shitzu.
Link Posted: 2/21/2017 11:38:36 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
So black cats are mindless killers?

This is a picture of my new black cat:

https://encrypted-tbn1.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcT1_SPCdpL2UlHbAqP67StH6jVVeyjK4k84jJfDMNB1FdkLKKmGGA

He's super chill. I don't know why the stigma exists that black cats are mean.

I mean, it is just me and my girlfriend. We've already learned to not look him in the eye, keep a 19 foot perimeter, install storm doors on your bedroom, and give him sedatives every four hours. It's a piece of cake.
View Quote

Are you living in the 1600s?

I have never,ever,heard that black cats are mean.
Link Posted: 2/21/2017 11:42:09 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Girlfriend had one years ago that could be described as "sweet and playful" until one day it got the neighbors ankle biter in its mouth. It then in a "sweet and playful" manner, proceeded to chomp on two people trying to save the ankle biter.
 Girlfriend was delusional and defended that dog no matter what, I wanted to put a bullet through it's head after that.
View Quote
My grandmother had a rhodesian Ridgeback. Gentlest dog she ever had. One day the little bastard next door got loose and went for her. Her dog grabbed it by its neck, broke it instantly and went back to sit down like nothing happened.
Link Posted: 2/21/2017 12:06:36 PM EDT
[#6]
I've helped train dozens of dogs. Mostly working dogs.  I've been bit and broken up more dog fights than I can count.

I don't recommend Pits for a few reasons.
The main one is the anatomy of attack is predominantly based on genetics and it is unrelenting once switched on.
No other breed I have worked with is predisposed to completely ignore the " RELEASE " command once they are in attack mode.

To those who say it is how they are raised. I have worked with owners who raised and loved their Pits from 6 weeks old. Spoiled rotten to stern owners so having witnessed it with my own eyes it is not always how the dogs was raised that determines the outcome. Genetics play a role just as they play a role in retrievers or Ratters.

I like the breed but it's foolish to not acknowledge its genetic traits.
Link Posted: 2/21/2017 1:02:34 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

If you luv your shit bull enough they will turn into a goldfish, since it's all about the luv.
View Quote

Exactly.  And if you get a pit from a line where aggression has been bred out, what's the problem?

The truth is that most pits are actually mutts and the other large portion of pbt's and staffs are not bred responsibly.  But if you get one from a responsible breeder with a known lineage, they can be and are usually good dogs.
Link Posted: 2/21/2017 1:42:02 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

There is the underlying problem.

They can be sweet dogs, but if they snap, they can be near unstoppable. And no one knows when/if/what will make them snap
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Watching my neighbors dogs while she is in Denver.

The sweetest most submissive dog I've ever seen. Gretchin is a absolute sweetie and if she has a single fault its she doesn't know her own strength sometimes.

https://scontent-ort2-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/16831158_1301956919882786_3949965333711013758_n.jpg?oh=16d4bd2e3b894edccfa7cb6343bab0c8&oe=59481DDD

There is the underlying problem.

They can be sweet dogs, but if they snap, they can be near unstoppable. And no one knows when/if/what will make them snap

Any dog can do that. There are lots of big doggo's with big mouths.
Link Posted: 2/21/2017 1:57:33 PM EDT
[#9]
Bring it to the local hospital as a comfort dog. Report back. 
Link Posted: 2/21/2017 2:24:08 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
View Quote

How this would go probably depends on the type of hospital.
Link Posted: 2/21/2017 2:28:23 PM EDT
[#11]
They are fabulous dogs ...right up until the time that they unexpectedly eat your children or your neighbor's children.
Link Posted: 2/21/2017 2:39:47 PM EDT
[#12]
Pics of neighbor/dog owner ?  
Link Posted: 2/21/2017 2:46:02 PM EDT
[#13]
Pit bulls are a lot like Glocks.

Everyone loves them until it takes your hand off
Link Posted: 2/21/2017 2:48:23 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
View Quote
thats like an all you can eat buffet!!!
Link Posted: 2/21/2017 2:57:01 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

The sweetest most submissive dog I've ever seen.
View Quote

.....says every. fucking. single. pitbull owner after their dog mauls or kills someone.
Link Posted: 2/21/2017 3:00:30 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Whelp.  It is settled. Thanks OP.

Yep, these people would have you think that bloodhounds are better at finding scents, or labradors are better at swimming - due to training/upbringing.

PitBulls are somehow the only fucking dog "breed" out there with no instincts/traits bred into them.  That's some good shit these guys are smoking.
Link Posted: 2/21/2017 3:01:33 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

.....says every. fucking. single. pitbull owner after their dog mauls or kills someone.
View Quote

"He/she was so sweet." "They never did anything like that before."
Link Posted: 2/21/2017 3:01:50 PM EDT
[#18]
I go to a dog park 5-6 days a week, and if there is an altercation, easily 75%+ of the time it is started by a Pit.

I do not believe Pits are mindless killers. Most bad behavior by a dog is due to being a bad owner.
Link Posted: 2/21/2017 3:01:53 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

Yep, these people would have you think that bloodhounds are better at finding scents, or labradors are better at swimming - due to training/upbringing.

PitBulls are somehow the only fucking dog "breed" out there with no instincts/traits bred into them.  That's some good shit these guys are smoking.
View Quote

And border collies only herd because they're individually raised that way!
Link Posted: 2/21/2017 3:06:17 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Pit bulls are a lot like Glocks.

Everyone loves them until it takes your hand off
View Quote
Link Posted: 2/21/2017 3:30:16 PM EDT
[#21]
yes yes thats what they all say... until they take a bite out of a kids neck
Link Posted: 2/21/2017 3:34:38 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

View Quote
So I guess letting a kid grab a dogs tail or do something that the dog is not used to is completely OK? Not all but quite a few incidents could have been avoided with parental supervision.

Yes there are bad Pits out there but a lot of it starts with a bad owner.

Gretchen which is the name of my neighbors Pit is very submissive. My Cattle dog keeps her in line if she remotely gets rambunctious.
Link Posted: 2/21/2017 3:46:43 PM EDT
[#23]
Untamed and Uncut: Attack Dog Bites Reporter
Link Posted: 2/21/2017 3:49:18 PM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 2/21/2017 3:57:12 PM EDT
[#25]
An "Attack Dog" attacking doesn't surprise me anymore than seeing a news story about about a dog attack and then finding out it was pitbull.
Link Posted: 2/21/2017 3:59:29 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
So I guess letting a kid grab a dogs tail or do something that the dog is not used to is completely OK? Not all but quite a few incidents could have been avoided with parental supervision.

Gretchen which is the name of my neighbors Pit is very submissive. My Cattle dog keeps her in line if she remotely gets rambunctious.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I see, the kids are wearing a short skirt.  They had it comin'!

These dogs bred for aggression for thousands of years just have the worst luck with little kids coming up and pulling their tails.
Link Posted: 2/21/2017 4:07:56 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

I see, the kids are wearing a short skirt.  They had it comin'!

These dogs bred for aggression for thousands of years just have the worst luck with little kids coming up and pulling their tails.
View Quote
You don't tug on superman's cape.
You don't spit into the wind.
You don't pull the mask off that old lone ranger,
And you don't mess around with Pits.
Link Posted: 2/21/2017 4:08:02 PM EDT
[#28]
Haven't read through the whole thread yet; has a breed of peace lover quipped that Petey from The Little Rascals was a PitBull?

That's my favorite excuse...any parenting techniques from the great depression are good enough for my kids!  Here's a challenge:  find an episode of the show where Pete doesn't attack someone. 
Link Posted: 2/21/2017 4:32:03 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
An "Attack Dog" attacking doesn't surprise me anymore than seeing a news story about about a dog attack and then finding out it was pitbull.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Fun dog attack videos
Link Posted: 2/21/2017 7:51:46 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Don't forget the beagles !
Love hearing them run a waskally wabbit !
Link Posted: 2/21/2017 9:23:28 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
If we are to believe statistics you are in much more danger with a pitbull than any other single breed. My personal observations of local dog attacks in the news would seem to support this.
View Quote

One of the things that needs to be taught early on in any stats class is the difference between correlation and causation.  The "bad" breed was GSD's in the 70's, Dobermans in the 80's, Rottweilers in the 90's and pits today.  There is a part of society that want's the scary dog of the day and they are the ones that for the most part should not be dog owners.  You also have normal people that own those breeds.
Link Posted: 2/22/2017 12:00:01 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

am I the only one that notices that your numbers don't make any sense.  if they were based on an average over a certain duration of years sure but that is not how you offered them.

how does a wolf kill a tenth of a person? or an alligator three tenths of a person? was the person a midget? and if so should their small stature be used to think of them as less than a person?  

so excuse me if I find your numbers dubious but more importantly the number of people killed by bees is irrelevant.  there are a shit ton more bees than pitbulls and some people are allergic.  They have a unique weakness to bees.  

900-1000 people a year die while masturbating?  does that mean I am more likely to die while masturbating than be killed by a pitbull or some bees? No, because I'm not into autoerotic asphyxiation, therefore the odds of me dying from it are 0...
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Bees kill more people per year than dogs. 

Average Number of Deaths per Year in the U.S
Bee/Wasp   53
Dogs   31
Spider   6.5
Rattlesnake   5.5
Mountain lion   1
Shark   1
Alligator   0.3
Bear   0.5
Scorpion   0.5
Centipede   0.5
Elephant   0.25
Wolf   0.1
Horse   20
Bull   3

am I the only one that notices that your numbers don't make any sense.  if they were based on an average over a certain duration of years sure but that is not how you offered them.

how does a wolf kill a tenth of a person? or an alligator three tenths of a person? was the person a midget? and if so should their small stature be used to think of them as less than a person?  

so excuse me if I find your numbers dubious but more importantly the number of people killed by bees is irrelevant.  there are a shit ton more bees than pitbulls and some people are allergic.  They have a unique weakness to bees.  

900-1000 people a year die while masturbating?  does that mean I am more likely to die while masturbating than be killed by a pitbull or some bees? No, because I'm not into autoerotic asphyxiation, therefore the odds of me dying from it are 0...

I suspect most or at least some of us understand what "average" or "mean" means.  The way to interpret it is you get one death every 10 years, on average, it is 0.1 or a 10% chance of it happening in a given year.  On the other hand, there are not exactly 20 horse related deaths each year, it varies, but the "average" is 20.  For instance, the average of 20 and 40 is 30.
Link Posted: 2/22/2017 12:00:30 AM EDT
[#33]
OP--have you ever heard of the term "statistical outlier"?
Link Posted: 2/22/2017 12:01:40 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Not mindless killers, but as stated above, if they get going, they tend not to stop.

-14 years on patrol and every aggressive dog call starred pits....including the call where I got to hold a two year old boy as he died in my arms after being mauled by three of them.

I'm not for banning these dogs...I just can't trust them after dealing with them on the job.

...and all the people he dealt with were either criminals or victims of criminals.  Cops tend to spend most of their time in shitty neighborhoods.  There is a thing called selection bias.
Link Posted: 2/22/2017 8:20:16 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
OP--have you ever heard of the term "statistical outlier"?
View Quote

The pit bull (to include pit mutts, pbt's,and staffs) are one of, if not the most common breeds in the USA.  The amount of them is astonishing.

Statistical outlier would prove you wrong, and would point to the "killer" pits being in the quite obvious vast minority.
Link Posted: 2/22/2017 9:10:55 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

...and all the people he dealt with were either criminals or victims of criminals.  Cops tend to spend most of their time in shitty neighborhoods.  There is a thing called selection bias.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Completely agree with that, but I've seen enough video of these attacks which show nice neighborhoods.
The video of the cat chasing off the pit was in a nice area.

Again.  Ask every pit owner if they're qualified to own this breed.  A breed designed to be powerful and kill it's perceived opponent.  A breed that has a solid history of 'snapping' out of now where.

Most will say they are the second coming of Christ when it comes to handling pits.

Others will say there isn't an aggressive bone in THEIR pit's body.
Link Posted: 2/22/2017 10:36:05 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

Completely agree with that, but I've seen enough video of these attacks which show nice neighborhoods.

Again.  Ask every pit owner if they're qualified to own this breed.  A breed designed to be powerful and kill it's perceived opponent.  A breed that has a solid history of 'snapping' out of now where.

Most will say they are the second coming of Christ when it comes to handling pits.

View Quote

Are you talking about this one?

If so, that was a Lab/Chow mix, not a pit.
Link Posted: 2/22/2017 10:42:45 AM EDT
[#38]
Which brings me to another point. When that story first broke, all the anti-pit people here on Arf said that had to be a pit. They were absolutely convinced. But it wasn't. And that's not at all uncommon. Dogs are regularly misidentified as pit bulls, even by professionals, which means many of the mixes and mutts identified as pit bulls probably aren't. And that artificially inflates "statistics" with regards to how often dogs of that breed attack.

Pits are the only "breed" out there where several breeds are included as well as all the mixes and mutts that may or may not have any pit bull in the make up.
Link Posted: 2/22/2017 10:45:45 AM EDT
[#39]
Link Posted: 2/22/2017 10:51:35 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

http://i.imgur.com/5DJNj0U.gif

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Pit defender here but that was one bad ass kitty.

Tuna and salmon from then on baby!
Link Posted: 2/22/2017 10:52:04 AM EDT
[#41]
Link Posted: 2/22/2017 10:53:35 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

View Quote
The Babe Ruth of kitty cats!!!
Link Posted: 2/22/2017 10:58:23 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
When I was a kid, guy in town had a pet bear that was super sweet.  He would lick sugar cubes out of my hand.

I now declare all bears to be of no danger! 
View Quote

Link Posted: 2/22/2017 11:15:31 AM EDT
[#44]
Owning a dog that is capable of killing a human being is risky. Chances are nothing bad will never happen. But if it does, it's real bad.
Page / 3
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top