BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 12
Link Posted: 4/27/2015 10:15:41 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Your coworkers don't want your direction.  They may feel they don't NEED your direction.  

Don't give them anymore direction and concern yourself only with your work.  They will sink or swim.
View Quote

Link Posted: 4/27/2015 10:16:41 PM EDT
[#2]
Learn this phrase, "not my problem."

Link Posted: 4/27/2015 10:16:42 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
When you do it right they don't even notice.  The  message you missed today was management telling you to stop being an asshole.
View Quote

Yup.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 4/27/2015 10:16:58 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

Yeah The assistant store manager who was in on the meeting said "we know you want to be management so lets work to get it done but in the mean time you need to just be subtle".  

Fuck that.  I was not " subtle"  when I got a management position at lowes home improvement.  Being subtle would not have gotten me that position.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
You're management material there, son.  They just don't recognize it.

-p.

Yeah The assistant store manager who was in on the meeting said "we know you want to be management so lets work to get it done but in the mean time you need to just be subtle".  

Fuck that.  I was not " subtle"  when I got a management position at lowes home improvement.  Being subtle would not have gotten me that position.

Lol

Link Posted: 4/27/2015 10:17:24 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 4/27/2015 10:18:25 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Where do you work now and why aren't you at Lowes anymore?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

-p.

Where do you work now and why aren't you at Lowes anymore?

I left lowes in 2007.  Grandmother was sick.  Helped take care of her.
Link Posted: 4/27/2015 10:18:41 PM EDT
[#7]
Get yourself a lead,follow or GTF out of the way shirt to wear to work OP....... .

Link Posted: 4/27/2015 10:20:45 PM EDT
[#8]
If your potential subordinates are already complaining about you to your bosses, your bosses are probably not going to put you in a position to manage them for the fear of losing the other workers to attrition.  It would make more sense to them to pigeon hole you than to potentially loose several employees who already have legitimate beef with you.
Link Posted: 4/27/2015 10:22:10 PM EDT
[#9]
This thread is going to turn into a mess. IBTinevitableL.

Link Posted: 4/27/2015 10:22:25 PM EDT
[#10]
Have you thought of trying the military, as an outlet for your talents?
Link Posted: 4/27/2015 10:23:32 PM EDT
[#11]
Thats funny, i just finished a communications class
and was very impressed , with just a few word changes how you
can turn a negative into a positive , be positive with your co workers
be careful of the tone of your voice and your body language .
be positive
Link Posted: 4/27/2015 10:23:34 PM EDT
[#12]
ex-military by any chance?  Because what you are describing is a very common problem with ex military guys entering the civilian workforce.  I had to deal with it, after getting out of the Army I had to relearn how to work with folks who were not as motivated as me and I did not have authority over.
Link Posted: 4/27/2015 10:23:41 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Have you thought of trying the military, as an outlet for your talents?
View Quote

Link Posted: 4/27/2015 10:25:16 PM EDT
[#14]
Nobody wants to be pushed around on the job by a co-worker and management frowns on that sort of behavior.

It's neither appreciated nor desirable and usually counterproductive and management won't tolerate it.
Link Posted: 4/27/2015 10:25:32 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Now I may have my issues but my work ethic has never been a problem.  
I was just informed that because I tell my coworkers what needs to be done in the absence of our supervisor they have complained.  Told me I do good work but to be more subtle and treat them as my family.
So is coddling something you guys do at work?
View Quote

I was recently told this also. no money in it so not really seeing the upside, especially since
i have already done this for them before.
Link Posted: 4/27/2015 10:31:23 PM EDT
[#16]

Maybe you have really high expectations.

Not everyone can be exactly like you or even as motivated as you.  Management might love to have more hard workers but the reality is sometimes there's not enough people that are and they've got to do the best they can with what they've got.

Chill out or leave.

Link Posted: 4/27/2015 10:37:03 PM EDT
[#17]
Maybe ask for an assignment where your function is solo and doesn't depend on the efforts of others. Then, you can just focus on the job at hand.

Does your store have a greeter?
Link Posted: 4/27/2015 10:39:24 PM EDT
[#18]
I don't see why your coworkers can't just respect the authority you've given yourself.
Link Posted: 4/27/2015 10:40:05 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
ex-military by any chance?  Because what you are describing is a very common problem with ex military guys entering the civilian workforce.  I had to deal with it, after getting out of the Army I had to relearn how to work with folks who were not as motivated as me and I did not have authority over.
View Quote

I got told that I "acted too much like a sargeant."

I didn't last too long there.

Link Posted: 4/27/2015 10:53:27 PM EDT
[#20]
This happened to me awhile back at work. I was told to back off, so I did. Something comes up and suddenly they want me to take charge and I said no. I was then told I needed to be more of a team player.  I have yet to find a good balance.
Link Posted: 4/27/2015 10:54:17 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Shut up! You're not my boss!
View Quote

Link Posted: 4/27/2015 10:55:31 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

View Quote

I've been told on many occasions that I "work too much". When I'm at work, I work. When I'm at home, I relax. This becomes apparent when it comes to tidying the house because that is work but I haven't figured out how to get paid for it yet.

Link Posted: 4/27/2015 10:56:16 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
When you do it right they don't even notice.  The  message you missed today was management telling you to stop being an asshole.
View Quote

This.
Link Posted: 4/27/2015 10:56:45 PM EDT
[#24]
Yeah. People don't really like to be bossed around by their peers. And as someone who spent a decade running a small company, managers don't always like people who assign themselves authority. Do your job. Go above and beyond when your bosses need it, and quit giving a shit what your coworkers don't do. If your managers are worth a shit, they know who's pulling their weight and who isn't. If they aren't worth a shit, it doesn't matter much what you do.
Link Posted: 4/27/2015 11:04:32 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Yeah. People don't really like to be bossed around by their peers. And as someone who spent a decade running a small company, managers don't always like people who assign themselves authority. Do your job. Go above and beyond when your bosses need it, and quit giving a shit what your coworkers don't do. If your managers are worth a shit, they know who's pulling their weight and who isn't. If they aren't worth a shit, it doesn't matter much what you do.
View Quote

I guess.  I can already see in this thread arf has some real fucking slackers.  Must be nice to not do as much as the others around you.
Link Posted: 4/27/2015 11:06:05 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

I guess.  I can already see in this thread arf has some real fucking slackers.  Must be nice to not do as much as the others around you.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Hahaha

Where do you work/what do you do?

Link Posted: 4/27/2015 11:07:45 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

There is the issue.  I cant do my work if they dont.  I just simply make a list of what needs to be done and then show it to them.  Its the same shit the supervisor would tell them so I dont see the problem.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Your coworkers don't want your direction.  They may feel they don't NEED your direction.  

Don't give them anymore direction and concern yourself only with your work.  They will sink or swim.

There is the issue.  I cant do my work if they dont.  I just simply make a list of what needs to be done and then show it to them.  Its the same shit the supervisor would tell them so I dont see the problem.
You and a guy that I work with.  The guy that I work with happens to be incompetent.  He makes terrible decisions.  He thinks we can't live without him.  He struggles because he does not have the rank he thinks he deserves.  The problem is he gets no respect because he has GIVEN HIMSELF authority he doesn't have.  And he makes such bad decisions his personal life is a shamble that bleeds over into work.  He is a fairly smart guy, but suffers from not being able to take direction himself and that brings us bad to his constant bad decision making.  

I am not accusing you of any of these things.  These things, in my experience, do tend to pop up with these type of people.  Good luck OP and maybe do what your job is and only take care of things in the scope of operation in which you are given.  If things are what you say they are, you will be noticed and given more responsibility.  In my personal experience those who are truly effective are able to get others to do what is needed without pissing them off or making them bitter.  YMMV.  Good luck.
Link Posted: 4/27/2015 11:08:40 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

You're what I would describe as a problem employee with a poor attitude towards others.

"Your position has been eliminated because we're taking the company in a new direction"
Link Posted: 4/27/2015 11:10:15 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
I was just informed that because I tell my coworkers what needs to be done in the absence of our supervisor they have complained.  Told me I do good work but to be more subtle and treat them as my family.
View Quote

Are you the ad hoc supervisor when he/she is not present? If your not then what gives you the authority to tell others what to do? If you are the ad hoc supervisor try talking to them like they're people and not lowly subordinates.
Link Posted: 4/27/2015 11:10:21 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

-p.

Mmmmmmm.  Should have read more of the thread before my first post.  They are humoring you and know what you are about.  So why exactly are you no longer a manager at Lowes???  This post speaks volumes about your personality.  Unless of course this is a TROLL thread.  

Link Posted: 4/27/2015 11:11:20 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Lol
Link Posted: 4/27/2015 11:16:20 PM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Yep just like the guy I work with.  If you were as good as you think you are the people around you would not have complained.  Cream rises to the top, nearly always.  You are not management by your own admission, and you were management as you reported.  Downwardly mobile I believe that is called.  You may need some serious introspection in order to get places.  If you were able to bring people together and make the machine work without them bitching about you, you would be accomplishing something.  You are continually revealing bits and pieces that explain to everybody on arfcom why the people you work with don't like you, and why you used to be management.  Sorry bout your luck.  Does your work have an EAP program?

Link Posted: 4/27/2015 11:21:16 PM EDT
[#33]
Don't be "that guy".
Link Posted: 4/27/2015 11:24:37 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Few things will piss off a coworker like someone who is not their boss trying to tell them what to do.

Do your job. If you feel your coworkers aren't doing theirs, tell your boss.
View Quote

Sounds like a good strategy.
Link Posted: 4/27/2015 11:28:25 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

Hahaha

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Hahaha

Yeah, he's not going to answer that.
Link Posted: 4/27/2015 11:29:08 PM EDT
[#36]
OP needs to learn the difference between management and leadership.

Dial it down. If you wind up supervising any of these people they will cut your throat. I know, I've done the cutting.
Link Posted: 4/27/2015 11:30:00 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
View Quote

Link Posted: 4/27/2015 11:30:40 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Did you miss the part where I was the boss for 10 years? I sure as shit didn't slack my way in to that position. It was a combination of hard work and diplomacy. I'm currently in the process of starting my own company and I have old employees calling me willing to take a pay cut to come work for me again. A good manager knows who pulls their weight without it being shoved in their face. If your coworkers are complaining about you, it is creating problems for your boss. Figure out how to get your job done while maintaining good relationships with your peers and superiors. If you ever do get that "well earned" promotion, your subordinates will work way harder for you if they like you. That's a fact.
Link Posted: 4/27/2015 11:38:08 PM EDT
[#39]
Leaders are not bosses. Good "bosses" are good leaders.

We just had company-wide meetings today with our CEO. 25 minute talk, then another 1/2 hour of Q&A. Dude has his shit together and people want to follow him. There's a reason he is where he is, and it's not because he makes lists for people.

I see a few red flags. Coddle? Different personalities need to be dealt with differently. One way will have them gladly doing it and doing it well. Another way will have them doing it and motherfucking you the whole time. Another way will have them walk out. Two ways are complete failures of management.
Managers manage. I'm a special snowflake. I want to feel important. You know what? Throw me a bone now and then, let me feel special, and I'll outwork and outsolve everybody. Or maybe not, but let me think I am, and I'll try. Or you can try to go all drill sergeant on me, and I'll walk out the fuckin' door and you can pat yourself on the back for not coddling me. Or if you're not my manager, I go to my manager and tell him he needs to put you on a leash before you're the only guy left in the department. Why? Because fuck you, that's why. If you need something done and I'm not doing it, ask me nicely and explain why you need it done. Don't go making me honey-do lists, cuz I'm not your honey. We're a team, but you're not the coach.

ETA: It reminds me of Obama's election, when the DNC talking heads said he was "ready to rule." They didn't say lead, they actually said "rule."

Link Posted: 4/27/2015 11:46:09 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yeah, you should be a go getter and straighten this forum out. Take down some names and get with the mods,weed out the slackers around here. You go, boy!
Link Posted: 4/27/2015 11:50:12 PM EDT
[#41]
If you told me how to do my job,I'd fire you
Link Posted: 4/27/2015 11:59:53 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

View All Quotes

What if you are a proctologist?
Link Posted: 4/28/2015 12:00:30 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Uh, no, it's more like you don't fully get the concept of knowing your place in the ranks. For example, if I need something from a peer I ask them for their help - I do not tell them to help me because they don't report to me. If I think they have a performance issue I can tell my (or their) boss about it - whatever they do about it is at their discretion. It would also be insubordinate for me to try to address performance issues in my peers since that's their boss' job.

You might be fucking up that team's productivity with your behavior by giving them a motivation to be passive aggressive on you. Hence the talk about you being bossy. Do your shit, ask your peers if they got theirs done when you need it, and if they didn't finish it and you can't help them or don't want to then take a break.

Also, if you're the new guy on the team you don't know shit about how things work and you're turning the experienced guys against you. The boss takes those guys seriously and if they report that you're a problem he or she will take that seriously.

Link Posted: 4/28/2015 12:00:40 AM EDT
[#44]
Link Posted: 4/28/2015 12:01:24 AM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:

View Quote
so your just assuming control when the boss is gone?

Link Posted: 4/28/2015 12:09:04 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
Maybe ask for an assignment where your function is solo and doesn't depend on the efforts of others. Then, you can just focus on the job at hand.

View Quote

Link Posted: 4/28/2015 12:16:42 AM EDT
[#47]
Your post count alone says you have to much to say
Link Posted: 4/28/2015 12:17:01 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

ok i rost.
Link Posted: 4/28/2015 12:17:45 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

It can be tough when we realize the limitations of those around us. And frustrationg when their piss poor performance and lack of drive and initiative might reflect on us.

Oh well, Whatever. We can talk later. You've got a wet cleanup in aisle 4, and I need you to set up that dump display of swim noodles before you go on break.
Link Posted: 4/28/2015 12:27:08 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

Has nothing to do with acting like a supervisor.  I know who the boss is.  Its about making the department I work in look the best it can look so when we get visits from the DM he wont chew our bosses ass and in turn her chew our asses.  Also keeping shit organized helps aid in sales and inventory counts.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
if you are not the supervisor, you can't act like one.    That simple.

Either get a promotion, get sociable, or get a new job.

Has nothing to do with acting like a supervisor.  I know who the boss is.  Its about making the department I work in look the best it can look so when we get visits from the DM he wont chew our bosses ass and in turn her chew our asses.  Also keeping shit organized helps aid in sales and inventory counts.

This is all because you boned the Asian Girl, isn't it?              

Made you feel like King Of The World, and Rightfully so!

But it didn't raise your status enough with the co workers.  Not yet, anyway.    

You need to put on a veneer of humility, until you can bang enough Asians that your Leadership is unquestioned.
Page / 12
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top