Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 16
Link Posted: 7/28/2013 11:41:37 PM EDT
[#1]
So, another question.  Skill points.  Do you have a finite amount that once you use up you are done?

Thanks for the noob help guys!

Onyx
Link Posted: 7/28/2013 11:49:01 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
So, another question.  Skill points.  Do you have a finite amount that once you use up you are done?

Thanks for the noob help guys!

Onyx
View Quote

No, you will never train up all your skills in your lifetime. I have 106,780,504 Skill Points and I'm not even half way there.
Link Posted: 7/28/2013 11:54:40 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

Have not remapped.  Bone stock so to speak, 20 in everything but Charisma which is 19.  Worth remapping?  I hear you can only do it once or twice a year, right?

Onyx
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
The first five implant slots are for attribute enhancers. They can give from 1 to 5 additional points to your attributes. This will speed up your training accordingly. Also, since you are asking, I'll assume you haven't remapped your attributes. You might want to look into that. It'll help burn through a bunch of your training.
Implants can't be removed, only destroyed. As you do the tutorials, you'll receive some +1 and +2 implants as rewards. If you continue to do missions, you'll receive more +2 implants as rewards from e-mail agents. They cost little to nothing, so plug them in, you don't have anything to lose and you'll speed up training.
Once you can afford, and have the training for +4 and +5 implants, you'll want to look into making some jump clones. I have clones with expensive training implants for when I know I'll be offline for a while. I jump into the buffed clone and take advantage of the extra training, then when I get back, I jump into my cheaper clone.
If you look at one of the skills you're training, it'll show the primary and secondary attributes used for that skill. You can modify how your attribute points are used to match what you plan on training. Something to think about is to set up a skill training plan in EveMon, and play around with the order to maximize your training. It'll show you how you need to remap your attributes to make the best use of your time.

Have not remapped.  Bone stock so to speak, 20 in everything but Charisma which is 19.  Worth remapping?  I hear you can only do it once or twice a year, right?

Onyx

I think its once a year. I leveled everything off and left it alone. TBH, I'm at the point where I'm not sure what skills I want/need to train so I just don't even mess with it.
Link Posted: 7/29/2013 3:22:39 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

If you're not bubbled (0.0) and get podded, then you're not doing it right. Well, also barring lag. Most of my deaths are from lag and suicide dictors/hictors,
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
30M ISK in implants lost over the past 12 hours to getting podded twice.  

Today I found this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=41dZ1rSXTV4

If you're not bubbled (0.0) and get podded, then you're not doing it right. Well, also barring lag. Most of my deaths are from lag and suicide dictors/hictors,

Pod Saver tab in your overview is your friend!
Link Posted: 7/29/2013 6:14:36 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Onyx
View Quote

It's once a year. But you start the game with one bonus remap.
One time that I know of, and there may have been others before, a bonus remap was a choice for a gift.
Link Posted: 7/29/2013 12:54:43 PM EDT
[#6]
I asked HD, but let me open this question to the thread.

So far doing the tutorials, I have found that I have no idea where I am, or where I am going.  Everything is slect the destination from the mission list, and "warp to within".  I generally have no idea where I am relative to my main base right now, nor where the hell I am going.

Any suggestions on how to pull my head out of my "4th point of contact"?

Thanks guys!

Onyx
Link Posted: 7/29/2013 1:21:45 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 7/29/2013 2:23:01 PM EDT
[#8]
Been looking through EVE-Mon, and it has a good list of skills needed per ship/race. and I think I want to work on the Core Competency as soon as I get the cash to buy some skill books.  

I have plenty of the 20H skills I can still train up, which will hold me till I know what I need to train, and I think I need to go through all of the career agent missions just to learn the different aspects of the roles, so that should keep me rolling for a bit. :)

Hope that I can keep learning, this is fun if not confusing right now.  Wish I had more time to play, but our son was just born a month ago, and I have to help there, mostly by distracting my 2yo daughter. :)  So maybe half an hour a day or so.  Will impede my progress some, but will push through it. :)

Onyx
Link Posted: 7/29/2013 4:33:20 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
I have plenty of the 20H skills I can still train up, which will hold me till I know what I need to train, and I think I need to go through all of the career agent missions just to learn the different aspects of the roles, so that should keep me rolling for a bit. :)
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Definitely finish the career agents, and look into the Sisters of EVE epic arc. It's designed for beginners, and it will take you all over the EVE Universe.
Also, Eve University has a pretty decent website that covers a lot of the basic material.
And check out Industrial Sized Knowledge for some handy offline reading on the basics.
Hope that I can keep learning, this is fun if not confusing right now.  Wish I had more time to play, but our son was just born a month ago, and I have to help there, mostly by distracting my 2yo daughter. :)  So maybe half an hour a day or so.  Will impede my progress some, but will push through it. :)
Onyx

I've spent more time playing EVE Offline than Online since my daughter was born. I know the feeling. I used to play pretty regularly, now I specifically have to schedule time.
I'm not complaining because I love spending time with the kid. I do sometimes feel like I'm letting my corp down from my lack of participation.

Quoted:
Unfortunately I don't know enough about Gallente to help you with skill training reccomendations.  Hopefully someone else can chime in for you.

Armor, Hybrids, Drones. Drones up to 5 so he can fly a full flight, and so he can train Drone Interfacing which has a huge bonus. And light and medium drone skills always translate.
The Mymidon and Dominix don't give a bonus for any high slot weapon system, so I'll use projectiles or neuts often enough. But for just starting out, I'd focus on hybrids.
And if he sticks with Gallente he'll probably end up wanting blasters for his Proteus.
Plus, medium rails are supposed to get a buff
Link Posted: 7/29/2013 6:10:35 PM EDT
[#10]
Onyx and Power, I shot you each 100M to get you going.  If anyone else new to the game needs a little starting ISK just let me know.

One good tip:  If you're moving around by setting your autopilot (even if you just set it and fly manually) go into the map settings and make sure it's set to Prefer Safest.  That will keep it from sending you on a suicide run through low-sec.  I think it's set that way by default but it's worth checking.
Link Posted: 7/29/2013 6:30:43 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Onyx and Power, I shot you each 100M to get you going.  If anyone else new to the game needs a little starting ISK just let me know.

One good tip:  If you're moving around by setting your autopilot (even if you just set it and fly manually) go into the map settings and make sure it's set to Prefer Safest.  That will keep it from sending you on a suicide run through low-sec.  I think it's set that way by default but it's worth checking.
View Quote

I'm new to the game and could use a little isk!
Link Posted: 7/29/2013 6:32:19 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
I asked HD, but let me open this question to the thread.

So far doing the tutorials, I have found that I have no idea where I am, or where I am going.  Everything is slect the destination from the mission list, and "warp to within".  I generally have no idea where I am relative to my main base right now, nor where the hell I am going.

Any suggestions on how to pull my head out of my "4th point of contact"?

Thanks guys!

Onyx
View Quote

If you don't already have a program called TeamSpeak, get it, its free.
Link Posted: 7/29/2013 7:07:03 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

View Quote

Wow man!  I am floored!  Thanks much!  I will try not to spend it all on hookers and blow. :)

(Looks on map for EVE Stripper club, I'm at a military post, there has to be one near....)

Thanks man!

Onyx
Link Posted: 7/29/2013 7:40:56 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

PM me your character name and I'll hook you up.
Link Posted: 7/29/2013 7:46:13 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Wow man!  I am floored!  Thanks much!  I will try not to spend it all on hookers and blow. :)

(Looks on map for EVE Stripper club, I'm at a military post, there has to be one near....)

Thanks man!

Onyx
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thanks man!

Onyx

Never fly without exotic dancers in your hold.  I usually keep slaver hounds and janitors as well.
Link Posted: 7/29/2013 10:40:57 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 7/29/2013 10:48:40 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

hd_pancho, that's awesome of you to hook him up.  

Onyx, be very careful with the money.  You may see all these nice things that you can afford now, but don't have the training for.  Be sure not to fly a ship without the skills to back it up, otherwise you may learn a very expensive lesson.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thanks man!

Onyx

hd_pancho, that's awesome of you to hook him up.  

Onyx, be very careful with the money.  You may see all these nice things that you can afford now, but don't have the training for.  Be sure not to fly a ship without the skills to back it up, otherwise you may learn a very expensive lesson.  

No worries, not buying anything but skill books right now.  And maybe a jump clone,  Will check out the EAS link posted earlier.

Thanks again HD!

Onyx
Link Posted: 7/30/2013 1:25:31 AM EDT
[#18]
I'm more than happy to help.  Eve is a fantastic game/second job if you can get past the initial stages of the game.

Andrew is dead on about the shiny things.  There are expensive items that you shouldn't even be hauling unless you know exactly how to do it.
I'd been playing over six years when I loaded my Firetail full of shiny mods for my new Nightmare and decided to take a shortcut through low-sec on a saturday night.  Presently I was re-thinking my hauling strategy while buying a new clone.  That one hurt.  Both in isk (about 3Bil) and humiliation.  My corpmates still bring it up occasionally on TS after a few beverages.

And that's not even my most costly loss.

Eve pvp is like no other game.  It's the realization of risk that does it.  You lose your ship and you're sitting there in a pod.  Getting killed sucks and most eve players will kill you given the chance.  but I never (well, mostly)  mind getting killed.  It's part of it and teaches you what different to do next time.  There are tactics you can use in every situation.  Even huge gate camps complete with bubbles.

Before you undock ask yourself these questions:  Is my clone up to date? Is my insurance up to date?

eta: And did I load ammo for my weapons?
Link Posted: 7/30/2013 5:52:57 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Before you undock ask yourself these questions:  Is my clone up to date? Is my insurance up to date?

View Quote

Can I fly these drones?
You need Drone Specialization I and Scout Drone Operation V.

The game will stop you from installing mods you don't have prereqs for, but you can put any drone that fits in the drone bay.
Link Posted: 7/30/2013 10:59:07 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

Armor, Hybrids, Drones. Drones up to 5 so he can fly a full flight, and so he can train Drone Interfacing which has a huge bonus. And light and medium drone skills always translate.
The Mymidon and Dominix don't give a bonus for any high slot weapon system, so I'll use projectiles or neuts often enough. But for just starting out, I'd focus on hybrids.
And if he sticks with Gallente he'll probably end up wanting blasters for his Proteus.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Unfortunately I don't know enough about Gallente to help you with skill training reccomendations.  Hopefully someone else can chime in for you.

I fly Gallente.
Here are some of mine, in somewhat of an order by grouping. Maybe someone can use them to pick a series for a newbie to train.

Drones
Drones V,Scout Drone Operation V,Combat Drone Operation,Drone Durability,Drone Interfacing,Drone Navigation,Drone Sharpshooting,Gallente Drone Specialization,Heavy Drone Operation
Electronics
Electronic Warfare,Electronics V,Electronics Upgrades IV,Long Range Targeting IV,Propulsion Jamming IV,Signature Analysis IV,Targeting IV
Engineering
Engineering V,Energy Grid Upgrades V,Energy Management IV,Energy Systems Operation IV,Shield Management III,Shield Operation III
Gunnery
Gunnery V,Weapon Upgrades V,Advanced Weapon Upgrades V
Controlled Bursts V,Motion Prediction V,Rapid Firing IV,Sharpshooter V,Surgical Strike V,Trajectory Analysis V
Small Hybrid Turret V,Small Blaster Specialization IV,Small Railgun Specialization IV,
Medium Hybrid Turret V,Medium Blaster Specialization IV,Medium Railgun Specialization V
Large Hybrid Turret V,Large Blaster Specialization IV,Large Railgun Specialization V
Mechanics
Hull Upgrades V,Mechanics V,Repair Systems IV
Jury Rigging IV,Armor Rigging,Astronautics Rigging,Drones Rigging,Hybrid Weapon Rigging
EM Armor Compensation,Explosive Armor Compensation,Kinetic Armor Compensation,Thermic Armor Compensation
Navigation
Navigation V,Acceleration Control IV,Afterburner IV,Evasive Maneuvering,Fuel Conservation,High Speed Maneuvering,Warp Drive Operation
Science
Cybernetics V,Science IV,Thermodynamics
Social
Connections III,Fast Talk IV,Negotiation III,Social IV
Spaceship Command
Caldari Frigate,Caldari Destroyer,Caldari Cruiser,Caldari Battlecruiser
Gallente Frigate,Gallente Destroyer,Gallente Cruiser,Gallente Battlecruiser,Gallente Battleship V
Gallente Industrial
Spaceship Command V

Link Posted: 7/30/2013 11:01:16 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
I'm more than happy to help.  Eve is a fantastic game/second job if you can get past the initial stages of the game.

Andrew is dead on about the shiny things.  There are expensive items that you shouldn't even be hauling unless you know exactly how to do it.
I'd been playing over six years when I loaded my Firetail full of shiny mods for my new Nightmare and decided to take a shortcut through low-sec on a saturday night.  Presently I was re-thinking my hauling strategy while buying a new clone.  That one hurt.  Both in isk (about 3Bil) and humiliation.  My corpmates still bring it up occasionally on TS after a few beverages.

And that's not even my most costly loss.

Eve pvp is like no other game.  It's the realization of risk that does it.  You lose your ship and you're sitting there in a pod.  Getting killed sucks and most eve players will kill you given the chance.  but I never (well, mostly)  mind getting killed.  It's part of it and teaches you what different to do next time.  There are tactics you can use in every situation.  Even huge gate camps complete with bubbles.

View Quote

While not EVE, I used to play EQ, and it was the same risk/reward deal before they started dumbing it down.  You had to seriously consider if the reward of what you were about to do was worth the risk it took to get it.  

Remember the heartrate going up on some risky shit, that made it feel that mush more worth it when you pulled it off. :)  Made it to the top of that game before live and family required that my wife and I stop spending that much time on it.  Hoping I can be a bit more casual about EVE, and still enjoy it.

Onyx
Link Posted: 7/30/2013 11:14:08 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
I fly Gallente.
Here are some of mine, in somewhat of an order by grouping. Maybe someone can use them to pick a series for a newbie to train.

Drones
Drones V,Scout Drone Operation V,Combat Drone Operation,Drone Durability,Drone Interfacing,Drone Navigation,Drone Sharpshooting,Gallente Drone Specialization,Heavy Drone Operation
Electronics
Electronic Warfare,Electronics V,Electronics Upgrades IV,Long Range Targeting IV,Propulsion Jamming IV,Signature Analysis IV,Targeting IV
Engineering
Engineering V,Energy Grid Upgrades V,Energy Management IV,Energy Systems Operation IV,Shield Management III,Shield Operation III
Gunnery
Gunnery V,Weapon Upgrades V,Advanced Weapon Upgrades V
Controlled Bursts V,Motion Prediction V,Rapid Firing IV,Sharpshooter V,Surgical Strike V,Trajectory Analysis V
Small Hybrid Turret V,Small Blaster Specialization IV,Small Railgun Specialization IV,
Medium Hybrid Turret V,Medium Blaster Specialization IV,Medium Railgun Specialization V
Large Hybrid Turret V,Large Blaster Specialization IV,Large Railgun Specialization V
Mechanics
Hull Upgrades V,Mechanics V,Repair Systems IV
Jury Rigging IV,Armor Rigging,Astronautics Rigging,Drones Rigging,Hybrid Weapon Rigging
EM Armor Compensation,Explosive Armor Compensation,Kinetic Armor Compensation,Thermic Armor Compensation
Navigation
Navigation V,Acceleration Control IV,Afterburner IV,Evasive Maneuvering,Fuel Conservation,High Speed Maneuvering,Warp Drive Operation
Science
Cybernetics V,Science IV,Thermodynamics
Social
Connections III,Fast Talk IV,Negotiation III,Social IV
Spaceship Command
Caldari Frigate,Caldari Destroyer,Caldari Cruiser,Caldari Battlecruiser
Gallente Frigate,Gallente Destroyer,Gallente Cruiser,Gallente Battlecruiser,Gallente Battleship V
Gallente Industrial
Spaceship Command V

View Quote

Wow!  That quite a list!  Any suggestions on which ones to start first?  Or just start working down through the list?

Onyx
Link Posted: 7/30/2013 12:33:07 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Wow!  That quite a list!  Any suggestions on which ones to start first?  Or just start working down through the list?

Onyx
View Quote

Really depends on what you want to do and how you want to play.

Core areas:
Mechanics
Mechanics V,Hull Upgrades,Repair Systems
Engineering
Engineering V,Energy Grid Upgrades,Energy Management,Energy Systems Operation
Electronics
Electronics V,Electronics Upgrades,Targeting
Science
Cybernetics,Science (for implants)
Navigation
Navigation V, Afterburner

Offense:
Drones
Base: Drones V,Scout Drone Operation V
Improves Performance: Combat Drone Operation,Drone Durability,Drone Interfacing,Drone Navigation,Drone Sharpshooting
Gunnery
Base: Gunnery V, Weapon Upgrades
Improves Performance: Controlled Bursts,Motion Prediction,Rapid Firing,Sharpshooter,Surgical Strike,Trajectory Analysis
Item Skills: Small Hybrid Turret

Useful for missions:
Social
Connections,Fast Talk,Negotiation,Social

And of course, the ship skills are always important.
You don't necessarily have to train everything to level 5 now either.

I recommend using EVEMon to plan out skill training. One of my characters has 1115days planned out.
Link Posted: 7/30/2013 1:08:37 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

Really depends on what you want to do and how you want to play.

View Quote

I guess my question is, what skills should I hit first that will most help / improve my starting play / life.  More than happy to work on all of those, but just need to know what order to do them in.

Thanks!

Onyx
Link Posted: 7/30/2013 1:55:54 PM EDT
[#25]
From EveUniversity's wiki:
Fitting
CPU
Electronics : 5% Bonus to ship CPU output per skill level.
Electronics Upgrades : 5% reduction of sensor upgrade CPU needs per skill level.
Energy Grid Upgrades : 5% reduction in CPU needs of modules requiring Energy Grid Upgrades per skill level.
Weapon Upgrades (also applies to missile launchers) : 5% reduction per skill level in the CPU needs of weapon turrets, launchers and smartbombs.
PowerGrid
Engineering : 5% Bonus to ship's PowerGrid output per skill level.
View All Quotes
Fitting
CPU
Electronics Upgrades : 5% reduction of sensor upgrade CPU needs per skill level.
Energy Grid Upgrades : 5% reduction in CPU needs of modules requiring Energy Grid Upgrades per skill level.
Weapon Upgrades (also applies to missile launchers) : 5% reduction per skill level in the CPU needs of weapon turrets, launchers and smartbombs.
PowerGrid

Of particular importance to new characters is the concept of the 80/20 rule, which is as follows:
"You will receive 80% of the benefit, while taking 20% of the time, by training only the first IV levels of a skill."
This is due to the exponential increase of training time as you train a skill.
Because of this, it is well worth it to train skills that affect many of the ships you pilot to level IV in the short to medium term. Training some skills to level V can take a long time and is often best left as a longer term goal or only worth training when they are required as prerequisites (for T2 ships, for example). However, some key skills with low training time multipliers give you such significant benefits that they're well worth training all the way to V -- Drones, Energy Systems Operation and Navigation are three good examples, but are by no means the only ones.
When someone says they have 'good' skills in a certain category, they most commonly mean that they have most if not all of those skills trained to IV or V.

I still recommend checking out EVEMon.
It will help you see which skills depend on other skills to train.
Link Posted: 7/30/2013 2:21:14 PM EDT
[#26]
I have EVEMon running, it's just still a bit Latin to me. :)

Working through it, thanks for all the input guys!

Onyx
Link Posted: 7/30/2013 3:08:17 PM EDT
[#27]
The main benefit I get from EVEMon is the planning functionality.
It will let you plan out remaps and everything.

PM your nick in game and I'll see about dropping off some frigate-class stuff in one of the Gallente 0.8+ systems on a contract. I seem to recall having an excessive amount of small rails and blasters laying around in one of my containers.
Link Posted: 7/31/2013 1:03:34 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
The main benefit I get from EVEMon is the planning functionality.
It will let you plan out remaps and everything.

PM your nick in game and I'll see about dropping off some frigate-class stuff in one of the Gallente 0.8+ systems on a contract. I seem to recall having an excessive amount of small rails and blasters laying around in one of my containers.
View Quote

Thanks for the goodies man, but it will take me some time before I can fly that Titan......  (kidding all)

Thanks for the care package, I am trying to figure out if I should fit anything, or wait a bit till I know what the hell I am doing. :)

Cheers!

Onyx
Link Posted: 7/31/2013 3:18:48 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

View Quote

If you want to shoot Garrotis some cash, it would make my life a lot easier.  

Link Posted: 8/1/2013 1:56:09 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Your character is nearly 3 years old.  My aim is to help new players.  Sorry.
Link Posted: 8/1/2013 10:35:25 AM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Understood.  I quit playing for most of those three years, and am doing PvP this time instead of PvE, so I am broke and feel like a complete noob.  
Link Posted: 8/2/2013 4:26:54 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

What map tools do you refer to, and how to you learn what the bad neighborhoods are, prior to getting shived?  :)

Onyx
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Just had my second Vexor in two days shot out from under me in .02. Iwent there to pick up a mission to raise standing. I came out of the gate and was surrounded by red skulls. I was dead in a few seconds. I am now back to mining to raise funds for another ship. I am going to just grind mining until I get a Myrmadon and then just grind level 2 missions until I can find a pvp corp to join to learn to fight in the thing. I am mildly discouraged.

PM me your char name.  I'll shoot you 100M to keep you going.

It's best to use the map tools to see where the kills have been happening recently.  And notorious pirate systems like amamake and rancer are best avoided.

What map tools do you refer to, and how to you learn what the bad neighborhoods are, prior to getting shived?  :)

Onyx

I haven't read every reply to you so I don't know if this has been mentioned yet.

Eve maps on Dotlan: http://evemaps.dotlan.net/

it's not the same as the in-game map but it has some useful capabilities (how many ships have been killed in a particular system recently, what services are available in each system, which player corporations are based in a particular system, etc).

Also, if you do the PvE security missions: http://eve-survival.org/wikka.php?wakka=HomePage

A list of PvE secirity missions with descriptions of what happens in the missions, what damage types work best for each mission, what damage types you'll be facing, minable asteroids inside mission pockets, mission rewards, including bounties for different types of NPC pirates in each mission, etc.  

Also, if you're going to mine space rocks to make money: http://ore.cerlestes.de/index.html#site:ore

A list of the different types of asteroids, the types of minerals you extract from them, and the current market prices for them. If you're in a small mining ship like a Venture, it's handy to not waste time on asteroids/minerals that don't pay a lot. I'm in Minmatar space and for me, Massive Scordite pays the best price per load from a small ship like a Venture, but it doesn't spawn in huge quantities. Finding Pyroxeres asteroids in mission spaces, cleaning out the mission pirates then coming back to mine the Pyro in a mining ship before I hand in the mission can help make some extra money.
Link Posted: 8/2/2013 4:56:41 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

I haven't read every reply to you so I don't know if this has been mentioned yet.

Eve maps on Dotlan: http://evemaps.dotlan.net/

it's not the same as the in-game map but it has some useful capabilities (how many ships have been killed in a particular system recently, what services are available in each system, which player corporations are based in a particular system, etc).

Also, if you do the PvE security missions: http://eve-survival.org/wikka.php?wakka=HomePage

A list of PvE secirity missions with descriptions of what happens in the missions, what damage types work best for each mission, what damage types you'll be facing, minable asteroids inside mission pockets, mission rewards, including bounties for different types of NPC pirates in each mission, etc.  

Also, if you're going to mine space rocks to make money: http://ore.cerlestes.de/index.html#site:ore

A list of the different types of asteroids, the types of minerals you extract from them, and the current market prices for them. If you're in a small mining ship like a Venture, it's handy to not waste time on asteroids/minerals that don't pay a lot. I'm in Minmatar space and for me, Massive Scordite pays the best price per load from a small ship like a Venture, but it doesn't spawn in huge quantities. Finding Pyroxeres asteroids in mission spaces, cleaning out the mission pirates then coming back to mine the Pyro in a mining ship before I hand in the mission can help make some extra money.
View Quote

Awesome!  Thanks much!  Been playing around, and those maps should help a bunch!

Onyx
Link Posted: 8/3/2013 2:17:06 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

Understood.  I quit playing for most of those three years, and am doing PvP this time instead of PvE, so I am broke and feel like a complete noob.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

That makes sense.  100M sent your way.  Blow up something shiny for me.
Link Posted: 8/3/2013 4:58:11 PM EDT
[#35]
Link Posted: 8/4/2013 1:46:25 AM EDT
[#36]
All this talk about Eve is getting me pulled back in.  I've reactivated my accounts and started getting my shit together.

While I'll keep my main, Avatar, and Nyx drivers in the null-sec sov wars I think I'll put my old research and production lines back up.  Make T1 and T2 ships, mods and ammo.

If anyone would like to learn the science and industry side of things shoot a message to Satsuki Mori or Ann Bonney in game.
Link Posted: 8/4/2013 10:16:49 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
All this talk about Eve is getting me pulled back in.  I've reactivated my accounts and started getting my shit together.

While I'll keep my main, Avatar, and Nyx drivers in the null-sec sov wars I think I'll put my old research and production lines back up.  Make T1 and T2 ships, mods and ammo.

If anyone would like to learn the science and industry side of things shoot a message to Satsuki Mori or Ann Bonney in game.
View Quote

Is that a profitable plan of action, or just a way to get cool shiny stuff?  I would be interested in learning maybe after I go through the tutorials.

Of the 100 you dropped me, I still have 99.3 left, and I am up to 4 ships, and as of tomorrow will have the core competency cert (basic) completed.. :)  Just upgraded from the trial account today, and will be in game when I can.  Need to figure out how to use drones best.

Got 2 mining drones rolling on my venture, but some combat drones sound like they might be sweet.

Almost had my ass handed to me by some NPC mercs on a mission I probably had no business accepting, had to warp out and repair twice, but last time I got it figured out and dropped them all.  (about 8 plus the target NPC) and got some LP for it. :)

Having fun guys, thanks!

Onyx
Link Posted: 8/4/2013 11:09:24 PM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Thank you very much.  As I said, this will make things much easier for me.  Cheers!

Link Posted: 8/5/2013 3:16:43 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Fitting
CPU
PowerGrid

Of particular importance to new characters is the concept of the 80/20 rule, which is as follows:
"You will receive 80% of the benefit, while taking 20% of the time, by training only the first IV levels of a skill."
This is due to the exponential increase of training time as you train a skill.
Because of this, it is well worth it to train skills that affect many of the ships you pilot to level IV in the short to medium term. Training some skills to level V can take a long time and is often best left as a longer term goal or only worth training when they are required as prerequisites (for T2 ships, for example). However, some key skills with low training time multipliers give you such significant benefits that they're well worth training all the way to V -- Drones, Energy Systems Operation and Navigation are three good examples, but are by no means the only ones.
When someone says they have 'good' skills in a certain category, they most commonly mean that they have most if not all of those skills trained to IV or V.

I just started playing yesterday and that was very helpful... thanks
I watched the 35 part "let's play EVE" YouTube series so thankfully I had a general idea of what to do while I work my way through the tutorials.  12 hours on YouTube well spend

ETA

I'm "Ale Space" incase any of you want to look me up
Link Posted: 8/5/2013 10:30:49 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
I'm getting home in a few days and am leaving nullsec for a while.  I'm going to run some lvl 4s using a Tengu, but have a question.  

How hard is it to kill frigates with heavy missiles / heavy assault missiles?  Is one type better?  
View Quote

With the caveat that I've only been playing a couple of months, the general rule of thumb as I understand it is, big missiles for big targets, small missiles for small targets.
You can use heavy missiles on small ships, but the ship's small signature size and speed mitigates damage. Small ships that travel fast take less damage from big missiles compared to big ships that travel slow.
If you compare the stats of light, heavy, and heavy assault missiles, an important stat to look at is the "explosion velocity". This is the stat that says how fast the blastwave travels when the missile explodes. A small fast ship can outrun some of the blastwave and take less damage as a result.
A quick check shows:
Light Inferno missile - explosion velocity - 170 m/sec
Heavy Assault Inferno missile - explosion velocity - 101 m/sec
Heavy Inferno missile - explosion velocity - 81 m/sec

A small fast frigate will outrun more damage from a heavy missile because the explosion velocity is slower. If I didn't want to fit multiple different types of missile launchers, I'd pick HAM's as the middle ground. More of a punch for bigger targets compared to light missiles, and more explosion velocity so small targets will not outrun them as easily compared to heavy missiles.

That's my understanding of the mechanics of it.
Link Posted: 8/5/2013 11:51:22 AM EDT
[#41]
So, any suggestions on good website to read up on the use of combat drones?

Trying to figure out what Frigate I should want, and how to fit it out.  So far, popping NPC's seems kinda fun.  Ratting I think it's called?

Cheers!  

P.S.  Woot!  Core Competency is completed!  And I can see that some of the training times are starting to stretch out. :)

Also, extra question, I got invited to a fleet last night out of the blue, and given that you should not trust anything in EVE, I was skeptical, and thought about accepting before I did.  I accepted with the understanding that I didn't have anything I couldn't afford to lose, and my clone was up to date (stock one is still good for 300-400k SP) but I really didn't know if there was some action that could be taking if I was in a fleet that would screw me over without him getting concorded.  Is there?

As it turns out, guy was cool, was granting me a mining bonus while he was looking for a wormhole, and then took me on a quick tour through the w-hole.  The lowest security I had seen to date, and it felt like driving through the bad part of town while on a vespa scooter. :)

Cheers!

Onyx
Link Posted: 8/5/2013 2:29:48 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
So, and suggestions on good website to read up on the use of combat drones?

Trying to figure out what Frigate I should want, and how to fit it out.  So far, popping NPC's seems kinda fun.  Ratting I think it's called?

Cheers!  

P.S.  Woot!  Core Competency is completed!  And I can see that some of the training times are starting to stretch out. :)

Also, extra question, I got invited to a fleet last night out of the blue, and given that you should not trust anything in EVE, I was skeptical, and thought about accepting before I did.  I accepted with the understanding that I didn't have anything I couldn't afford to lose, and my clone was up to date (stock one is still good for 300-400k SP) but I really didn't know if there was some action that could be taking if I was in a fleet that would screw me over without him getting concorded.  Is there?

As it turns out, guy was cool, was granting me a mining bonus while he was looking for a wormhole, and then took me on a quick tour through the w-hole.  The lowest security I had seen to date, and it felt like driving through the bad part of town while on a vespa scooter. :)

Cheers!

Onyx
View Quote

I wouldn't worry too much about the frigate.  I just finished all the tutorial missions and I've already got a destroyer.  I'm going to take a day or two of light missions to make sure all the skills are maxed before I really test her.  I had no problem finishing the advanced combat missions with an Atron frigate with most skills at lvl 4 and the 75mm guns with antimatter rounds.  I used the Tristan for the drone mission but didn't really care for using drones (not saying I won't in the future, I've trained into missles somewhat and would like to give them a try also).  Drones are nice, but just more objects to manage.  I prefer having 8 turret batteries (grouped into 2x4) myself.

ETA

My destroyer is a Catalyst
Link Posted: 8/5/2013 2:44:29 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
View Quote

EVE Academy
Link Posted: 8/5/2013 3:25:37 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

Cheers!  

Cheers!

Onyx
View Quote

Join Eve Uni. Its the best corp for newb players. What ever you are interested in they have some sort of program going on for it.
Link Posted: 8/5/2013 5:23:36 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

Onyx
View Quote

Within the fleet window, you have the option of warping to a fleet member, the Sqaud/Wing/Fleet commander also has the option of warping his relevent group.
So, for nefarious purposes, inviting someone to fleet will allow them to either drop on top of you, or warp you somewhere you don't want to be (You can stop the warp)
If, say, you were outside of hi-sec, and I didn't know where you were, if you answered my fleet invite, I could drop on top of you for some high velocity education.

On the other hand, a lot of times kindly Orca pilots will offer fleet bonus' to unaffiliated pilots just because it doesn't cost them anything and helps a brother out.
We were ice mining and offered bonus' to another group by us once, and they politely refused as they were concerned it was a tarp. We were just being friendly.
I once fleeted a guy in Tengu, and ran my shield harmonizing link so he could tank a level 4 he was seriously undertanked for.

Your new friend was really nice for not killing you in W-Space. W-Space is the wild west, and the inhabitants are like Dumbledore in that Kevin Costner movie.
Link Posted: 8/5/2013 5:28:32 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
I wouldn't worry too much about the frigate.  I just finished all the tutorial missions and I've already got a destroyer.  I'm going to take a day or two of light missions to make sure all the skills are maxed before I really test her.
View Quote

destroyer skills maxed out in a couple of days. You'll be good enough for missions, and some PVP, but it'll be a little while before your destroyer skills are maxed out. The Destroyer skill, T2 weapons, plus support skills, plus engineering skills to max out your fitting, navigation skills for speed. Don't let it stop you from having fun, but don't forget you have a lot of training that will help you get better.
Link Posted: 8/5/2013 6:15:47 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
Your new friend was really nice for not killing you in W-Space. W-Space is the wild west, and the inhabitants are like Dumbledore in that Kevin Costner movie.
View Quote

Like I said, I have read enough to know it was a even chance he was going to unceremoniously tear me apart once we hit nullsec, but I evaluated, and figured i was not really out much if it happened, and might be worth the learning experience.  As it turns out, he was an upfront guy, so no harm.  

I still expected it, so I might have gotten ganked, but I wouldn't have been surprised if I did.   Besides, I figured no one would give two hoots for my venture, half full of cheap ass ore. :)

Onyx
Link Posted: 8/5/2013 8:02:30 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
destroyer skills maxed out in a couple of days. You'll be good enough for missions, and some PVP, but it'll be a little while before your destroyer skills are maxed out. The Destroyer skill, T2 weapons, plus support skills, plus engineering skills to max out your fitting, navigation skills for speed. Don't let it stop you from having fun, but don't forget you have a lot of training that will help you get better.
View Quote

No doubt, I was only referring to the skills I currently have injected
Link Posted: 8/6/2013 1:03:08 AM EDT
[#49]
Link Posted: 8/6/2013 8:00:52 AM EDT
[#50]
Has Eve changed much since 2011 or so? I remember that they were going to nerf a lot of fun stuff, which is why I stopped playing... which is too bad because I had some slick gank/PVP ships...

<---Char would have 100m+ PVP SP by now
Page / 16
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top