Quoted:

Fixed.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
forgoing any extra police presence beyond 911 emergencies.

This right here should be the standard everywhere, anything more is too much.

Luckily Sadly most people do not agree with you

Fixed.

Luckily no one agrees with you.
Link Posted: 10/23/2014 4:07:17 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

That doesn't make the regular call volume stuff so unimportant that we can afford to slash personnel to the point that they can't respond in  a timely manner to routine calls
View Quote

That's highly debatable.

Link Posted: 10/23/2014 4:08:05 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

Fixed.
View Quote

Not "fixed"
Just because you've lucked out by not needing LE  through life  for 46 years thinking your example is how everyone can or  should live doesn't mean it'll work for everyone else.
You don't have a clue, which is why your views really don't count for much on LE topics

Link Posted: 10/23/2014 4:12:18 PM EDT
[#4]
Here where I live, every little crossroad has it's own police department.
A lot of them work part time. Some of them only have one guy (the department is one or two guys total; both part time...........) A lot of these guys have full time jobs somewhere else.

To me, this is ridiculous.
Why not have one big department with supply, maintainence, training, unified command.................

Same goes for the fire departments and EMS

I guess local governments want to say they are in charge of something.
Link Posted: 10/23/2014 4:19:45 PM EDT
[#5]
We have a consolidated county-wide "Police" department and it is a huge bureaucratic clusterfuck.

If they consolidate it should only be into the Sheriffs office with an elected sheriff.
Link Posted: 10/23/2014 4:20:21 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Here where I live, every little crossroad has it's own police department.
A lot of them work part time. Some of them only have one guy that is part time. A lot of these guys have full time jobs somewhere else.

To me, this is ridiculous.
Why not have one big department with supply, maintainence, training.................

Same goes for the fire departments and EMS

I guess local governments want to say they are in charge of something.
View Quote

Who is the mayor going to order around if the town/city/whatever has no PD? The fire department is probably a VFD and they get their money from the county/state/fed.
Link Posted: 10/23/2014 4:21:09 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
We have a consolidated county-wide "Police" department and it is a huge bureaucratic clusterfuck.

If they consolidate it should only be into the Sheriffs office with an elected sheriff.
View Quote

I don't know if you could do it any other way.
Link Posted: 10/23/2014 4:21:11 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Not "fixed"
Just because you've lucked out by not needing LE  through life  for 46 years thinking your example is how everyone can or  should live doesn't mean it'll work for everyone else.
You don't have a clue, which is why your views really don't count for much on LE topics

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Fixed.

Not "fixed"

Luck?  I guess criminals and thugs are just the unlucky/less fortunate of our society Rev. Sharpton.

It's entirely due to intentional decisions I've made my entire life.  Where I work/live/play, who I do that with, and how unconcerned I am with other people's business takes care of virtually every single opportunity to need a cop. Luck ain't got shit to do with it.
Link Posted: 10/23/2014 4:25:19 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

That's highly debatable.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

That doesn't make the regular call volume stuff so unimportant that we can afford to slash personnel to the point that they can't respond in  a timely manner to routine calls

That's highly debatable.

Someone somewhere is getting shorted on a McNugget and needs an officer STAT to make it right!
Link Posted: 10/23/2014 4:35:49 PM EDT
[#10]
WTF is this "county police" crap? I thought they already existed and were called sheriff deputies.

Also take note, not as much money floating around these days. Reduced police forces and self-imposed response limitations scream "welcome to austerity" to me.
Link Posted: 10/23/2014 4:54:52 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

That's highly debatable.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

That's highly debatable.

Are there some BS calls? Sure...but we still respond
The Public sees that they need a police response to a given situation.
We respond
Saying that we should only have enough police presence for major emergencies is asinine.
We are already spread thin.
Just because Hugo doesn't want to get his speeding tickets or his DWI doesn't mean that he gets his way
Link Posted: 10/23/2014 5:00:24 PM EDT
[#12]
Back in the late 70's a small town near me incorporated and had to hire a police officer.  Well, he started writing speeding tickets to speeders regardless who they were related to.  Solution?  Why the City Council took away his patrol car and made the position a foot patrol.
Link Posted: 10/23/2014 5:17:23 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Start cutting and keep cutting until a week goes by that the officers are fully employed at ACTUAL emergencies.  Not dealing with bullshit that wastes most of their time.
View Quote

So you'd treat a professional job as a seasonal one.

That's a great way to end up with the slacks and turds from other departments. There are times where it's busy and times when it's slow. You should still have a job during it all.

Right now we have very little conflict. We should cut back our military to maybe a total of 100k tops, and all of those should be reservists. We don't need 12 carriers and thousands of tanks.

More money for welfare.
Link Posted: 10/23/2014 5:21:56 PM EDT
[#14]
One thing that is unique to the NE portion of the country is townships, where the counties are divided in such a way that everyone lives in (and pays taxes to) not only the county, but the township, too.
Of course, nearly every township has a police force, many times with only two or three officers. It may make a lot of sense to do away with the township police forces, but the political pressure to keep them has been strong enough to defeat any attempt to get rid of them.
20 or so years ago I think it was Indiana (or was it Ohio?) that did away with townships, and set up a county-wide local government system that provided all needed services. From what I heard, the tax savings for the average citizen was substantial.
Massachusetts (of course) is going in the opposite direction, taking more and more powers and responsibilities away from the counties and giving them to the townships.
Link Posted: 10/23/2014 5:38:33 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

That's a great way to end up with the slacks and turds from other departments. There are times where it's busy and times when it's slow. You should still have a job during it all.

Right now we have very little conflict. We should cut back our military to maybe a total of 100k tops, and all of those should be reservists. We don't need 12 carriers and thousands of tanks.

More money for welfare.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Start cutting and keep cutting until a week goes by that the officers are fully employed at ACTUAL emergencies.  Not dealing with bullshit that wastes most of their time.

More money for welfare.

The military is constantly adjusting its base strength.  The position you are arguing is akin to keeping the Army at WW2 levels because we may have a world war again.

All government agencies should be right sizing themselves on a regular basis.  I know this flies in the face of traditional governmental empire building so you may see it a bit confusing.
Link Posted: 10/23/2014 5:42:58 PM EDT
[#16]
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I foresee in the future....A national police force...

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v361/Extorris/Gifs/can_zpsd8b55fd6.gif

Haaaa!!!
Link Posted: 10/23/2014 6:08:20 PM EDT
[#17]
My two man Town Dept was disbanded as it was not legal and the Chief (yeah a Chief in a two man Dept) was not even
legaly allowed to enforce the laws as he lacked the proper state credentials.

The County Sheriff's Dept does not even have an overnight patrol. Yeah my county is a poor shithole and yes
they talk about freedom but they voted for Obama.
Link Posted: 10/23/2014 6:30:39 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
My two man Town Dept was disbanded as it was not legal and the Chief (yeah a Chief in a two man Dept) was not even

The County Sheriff's Dept does not even have an overnight patrol. Yeah my county is a poor shithole and yes
View Quote

Nobody needs an Assault Rifle with a high-capacity magazine!
Link Posted: 10/23/2014 6:32:26 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
There are very few city police depts in Nebraska in the towns of less than 4-5k.
View Quote

I am a one man dept.  Town  pop. less than 500.
It would cost 4 times my annual budget to contract with the sheriffs office.
Link Posted: 10/23/2014 6:39:22 PM EDT
[#20]
Absolutely no need for a PD in my area [Brooklyn/Jax Co] 50 weeks out of the year. Last Chief is still in prison I believe. Druggie, sold dept guns, doinking females in the station, taping it, ect. All we need is sheriff patrol and 2 weeks [MIS speedwayNASCAR races] extra coverage.

Quite honestly, the "patrols" are nothing more then car speeding ticket jobs, the stuff like busting truckers that blow red lights [jefferson and 127S] and drive like nuts [one just killed a couple females, rammed them at speed]  seem to always be overlooked even though people certainly complain.
Link Posted: 10/23/2014 6:39:56 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

My model has them sorting the recyclables out of everyone's trash.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'm sure the town has grass to mow, vehicles to maintain....

That's what jail inmate workers are for.

My model has them sorting the recyclables out of everyone's trash.  

Oooooooh, I like that. Except they'd secrete sharp objects on their person they find in said trash and try to either escape or bring it back into the jail.
Link Posted: 10/23/2014 6:42:10 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

I know exactly how retarded people are.  That's my point. But having resources on hand to go help retards that are in shit due to their own retardedness is the self licking ice cream cone of LE.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

You are the one that goes out to see drunk cousin eddy and his batshit crazy wife arguing about someone threw the remote in the toilet 72 times a week.

You know exactly why they call.  They need their government daddy to solve yet another problem in their life.

You should do a ride along.. See how it works in the real world.  See how retarded people are... So you could quit blaming cops for it.

I know exactly how retarded people are.  That's my point. But having resources on hand to go help retards that are in shit due to their own retardedness is the self licking ice cream cone of LE.

Link Posted: 10/23/2014 6:48:41 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

View Quote

Our state patrol goes off duty at 0100 hours and comes back on at 0700 hours. My county goes off duty at 0300 and comes back on at 0700. One Deputy from days and one from nights is on call their last shift when off to cover that slack time on callouts.
Link Posted: 10/23/2014 7:01:44 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

Not "fixed"

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Fixed.

Not "fixed"

Lol.
Link Posted: 10/23/2014 7:07:31 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

Our state patrol goes off duty at 0100 hours and comes back on at 0700 hours. My county goes off duty at 0300 and comes back on at 0700. One Deputy from days and one from nights is on call their last shift when off to cover that slack time on callouts.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

A lot of Sheriff Departments in the northern part of MI do not have full 24hr coverage. (Majority even.) Many of them have more jail staff than road staff.

However here, all State Police posts in the state provide full 24hr LE coverage. Though one post may be responsible for 3-4+ counties.

Link Posted: 10/23/2014 7:16:26 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

You are the one that goes out to see drunk cousin eddy and his batshit crazy wife arguing about someone threw the remote in the toilet 72 times a week.

You know exactly why they call.  They need their government daddy to solve yet another problem in their life.

You should do a ride along.. See how it works in the real world.  See how retarded people are... So you could quit blaming cops for it.

Sooo... Basically what you're saying is that since you have no need for police in your life no one else should either?

Granted... while there may be many "retards" out there that cause their own problems...I have no problem going to help people (many with non-emergencies)that may not be able(or capable) of helping themselves... But then again... I'm not much of a hooray for me, the hell with you type of guy like some people.

Link Posted: 10/23/2014 7:28:14 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Contracting for small towns is the way to go. Most of those small town mayors want a police department to be their bitch force.
View Quote

And Bama-Shooter puts another 1000 yard shot right smack dab into the center of the X-ring.
Link Posted: 10/23/2014 7:33:57 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

Granted... while there may be many "retards" out there that cause their own problems...I have no problem going to help people (many with non-emergencies)that may not be able(or capable) of helping themselves... But then again... I'm not much of a hooray for me, the hell with you type of guy like some people.
View Quote

What the hell do you know about police work?

All you seem to want to do is protect and serve.

Truth is the downside of contracting out is a lot of 'personal touch' will go away.

Truth is (FWIW) if they contracted our needs to the county I'd have to stop stuffing mannequins in the trash and stuff. Still, I'd be willing to clean up my act if it would  make a serious dent in the taxes.

Truth is is won't. They'll just find another place to piss it away.
Link Posted: 10/23/2014 7:34:31 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:
And Bama-Shooter puts another 1000 yard shot right smack dab into the center of the X-ring.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Contracting for small towns is the way to go. Most of those small town mayors want a police department to be their bitch force.

Thankfully, we don't have this problem. I've never spoken to our mayor, and our city manager lets the police chief be in charge of the police. From the sound of things, this is not the norm, however. Granted, our town also only operates on budget surplus. That is to say, our town does not borrow money for ANYTHING. What is used is what's in the bank account already.
Link Posted: 10/23/2014 7:42:54 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

Sooo... Basically what you're saying is that since you have no need for police in your life no one else should either?

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Virtually no one has a NEED for police.  They are used for so much more than what is needed.  If daddy.gov didnt come running for every stupid call people would necessarily be more self reliant and responsible...or dead.  Either way.
Link Posted: 10/23/2014 7:47:07 PM EDT
[#31]

I live in a small town of 3000 that is about 1.5 miles x 1 mile wide.  We have a city police force with 6 cops.  The small town right beside us also has a police department.  The police stations are a mile and half apart.  Doesn't make any sense.
Link Posted: 10/23/2014 7:49:37 PM EDT
[#32]

I work with a guy that is a part time cop.  He has the midnight shift and just sleeps at home unless he gets a call.  He lets the state and county make the arrests to get their quotas.  Most nights he never gets a call.  Good to work in rural Appalachia.

Link Posted: 10/23/2014 8:00:06 PM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

Truth is the downside of contracting out is a lot of 'personal touch' will go away.

Truth is (FWIW) if they contracted our needs to the county I'd have to stop stuffing mannequins in the trash and stuff. Still, I'd be willing to clean up my act if it would  make a serious dent in the taxes.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Our city has had multiple chances to fire us and contract with the county. They absolutely refuse to do so.
Link Posted: 10/23/2014 8:12:37 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
View Quote

nailed it.... there's been a trend of consolidating communications for a long time... but, as you said, mayors want their own police departments to control...
Link Posted: 10/23/2014 8:19:32 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

Thankfully, we don't have this problem. I've never spoken to our mayor, and our city manager lets the police chief be in charge of the police. From the sound of things, this is not the norm, however. Granted, our town also only operates on budget surplus. That is to say, our town does not borrow money for ANYTHING. What is used is what's in the bank account already.
View Quote

You are fortunate.

I'm beginning to smell a rat in our township.

City council has kept us in the dark for a while. I am beginning to believe they want the force to be their little private cover their ass force.
Link Posted: 10/23/2014 8:27:32 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

Virtually no one has a NEED for police.  They are used for so much more than what is needed.  If daddy.gov didnt come running for every stupid call people would necessarily be more self reliant and responsible...or dead.  Either way.
View Quote

Link Posted: 10/23/2014 11:22:06 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

Just enough to respond to real emergencies.  Do it long enough and people will learn that cops don't show up for non-emergency stuff.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Not the cops fault that people are retarded. No one wants to deal with their shit to begin with. But then you get back to these laws that are supposed to be enforced and bad publicity.

Just enough to respond to real emergencies.  Do it long enough and people will learn that cops don't show up for non-emergency stuff.

You really help the Libertarian cause there, skippy.

Link Posted: 10/23/2014 11:24:40 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

The military is constantly adjusting its base strength.  The position you are arguing is akin to keeping the Army at WW2 levels because we may have a world war again.

All government agencies should be right sizing themselves on a regular basis.  I know this flies in the face of traditional governmental empire building so you may see it a bit confusing.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

More money for welfare.

In case you hadn't noticed, we're IN a world war as we speak.
Link Posted: 10/23/2014 11:29:55 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Seriously, you're talking out of your ass.

It's not funny anymore...
Link Posted: 10/23/2014 11:36:03 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

I live in a small town of 3000 that is about 1.5 miles x 1 mile wide.  We have a city police force with 6 cops.  The small town right beside us also has a police department.  The police stations are a mile and half apart.  Doesn't make any sense.
View Quote

A regional PD sounds like a fantastic idea. More population, more areas to patrol, more scenery.

Link Posted: 10/24/2014 12:09:45 AM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:

View Quote

Nearest "city" to me has a population of 1,500.

11 officers.

Link Posted: 10/24/2014 4:13:57 AM EDT
[#42]
I deal with a lot of stupid criminals, most are repeaters, unless you want to shoot them on sight, you need us to deal with them. They don't listen to reason, like a lot of GD, they feel they can do what they want without recourse. I have over 25 years seen a great increase in the stupid. In a perfect world, everyone minds their own business, it is far from a perfect world.
Link Posted: 10/24/2014 4:57:18 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

Complaints....the lamest excuse for LE jobs EVER.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
If only people didn't call and complain about the other people not following the laws...

Complaints....the lamest excuse for LE jobs EVER.

You just said you only want LE working in emergency situations.  How do you think those emergency situations are relayed to LE.  Wait for it.....   Complaints!  

Do you even think about what you're typing before you post it?  
Link Posted: 10/24/2014 5:00:37 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

Why because my way of doing things doesn't enable millions of people to barely work and then retire on a lifelong pension while they brag about their past heroics?

I can understand why LE would call that la la land, it's UNTHINKABLE to them.

Here's a truth.  YOU. AREN'T. NECESSARY.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Ever wonder if you're in la la land?

Why because my way of doing things doesn't enable millions of people to barely work and then retire on a lifelong pension while they brag about their past heroics?

So, someone murders your family member or breaks into your house and steals all your shit while you aren't home, that should just go uninvestigated and unprosecuted?  You really are delusional, aren't you?
Link Posted: 10/24/2014 9:03:47 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

So, someone murders your family member or breaks into your house and steals all your shit while you aren't home, that should just go uninvestigated and unprosecuted?  You really are delusional, aren't you?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

He is going to do the investigation and kill the person responsible.
Link Posted: 10/24/2014 9:07:54 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Not the cops fault that people are retarded. No one wants to deal with their shit to begin with. But then you get back to these laws that are supposed to be enforced and bad publicity.

Right. I should praise all the daddy.gov work we spend police time/effort/money on.  Because that's real liberty.
Link Posted: 10/24/2014 9:09:59 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'd call a murder an emergency.  I'd call filling out forms for theft of property a non-emergency.  Which of these two is the most police man-hours spent?
Link Posted: 10/24/2014 9:14:50 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

I'd call a murder an emergency.  I'd call filling out forms for theft of property a non-emergency.  Which of these two is the most police man-hours spent?
View Quote

So should the person come to the station.. get a fingerprinting kit and some evidence bags to catch the guy that stole their stuff?
Link Posted: 10/24/2014 9:18:58 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

That's no shit...<formerly from small town, Oklahoma>
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

boom.

That's no shit...<formerly from small town, Oklahoma>

Same but Texas.
Politics suck.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 10/24/2014 9:27:42 AM EDT
[#50]
Municipal duplication of services is a frequent and ridiculous waste of taxpayer money.  It's the overhead that gets ya… Administrative staff, buildings, management...
Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top