Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 4
Link Posted: 5/23/2015 4:11:01 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

The reason we don't want Ospreys for CSAR has nothing to do with speed.  We're buying M model blackhawks because it's all congress will allow without another decade of lawsuits.  
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
you want to lecture me on MEDEVAC timelines?  got a lot of experience with those, sport?

You are talking about one small piece of the aviation mission.  Then you are further fractionating into the differentiation between flight time, warm up and the difference in staying alive in a 10-20 minute window over a 60 minute.

If flight time was that important the AF would be talking about an Osprey replacement for CSAR and nothing else.  Instead they went with MH-47s initially and are now looking at newer 60 variants.

The reason we don't want Ospreys for CSAR has nothing to do with speed.  We're buying M model blackhawks because it's all congress will allow without another decade of lawsuits.  

If it was that important, they would get Ospreys.  MEDEVAC, as you note, is one of the very few places where speed improvement actually matters.  It isn't a game changer, even there, its an improvement.  and "at what cost?" is the question.

CSAR should be a SOCOM mission as it is with custom TFs based upon the theater and the footprint.  One blanket bird to do it retarded.  Sometimes you need an Osprey with its speed.  Sometime a 47 with its ass.  sometimes a blackhawk can get it done.  

And sometimes fallen angels have to get picked up with littlebirds, cause the PZ was too hot.
Link Posted: 5/23/2015 4:14:55 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 5/23/2015 4:16:20 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

If it was that important, they would get Ospreys.  MEDEVAC, as you note, is one of the very few places where speed improvement actually matters.  It isn't a game changer, even there, its an improvement.  and "at what cost?" is the question.

CSAR should be a SOCOM mission as it is with custom TFs based upon the theater and the footprint.  One blanket bird to do it retarded.  Sometimes you need an Osprey with its speed.  Sometime a 47 with its ass.  sometimes a blackhawk can get it done.  

And sometimes fallen angels have to get picked up with littlebirds, cause the PZ was too hot.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
you want to lecture me on MEDEVAC timelines?  got a lot of experience with those, sport?

You are talking about one small piece of the aviation mission.  Then you are further fractionating into the differentiation between flight time, warm up and the difference in staying alive in a 10-20 minute window over a 60 minute.

If flight time was that important the AF would be talking about an Osprey replacement for CSAR and nothing else.  Instead they went with MH-47s initially and are now looking at newer 60 variants.

I won't argue that, but I'm not a professional CSAR guy, either.  AFSOC has long done CSAR with MH-53s and I'm sure they have done it with -22s too.  

The HH-60 has some advantages in that it's easy to transport and takes very little time to set up (a shitload less time than -47s).  It's extremely low maintenance compared to -22s, but it is very cramped with an aux tank, stokes litter, penetrator, FE, gunner, and two PJs in that tiny cabin.  

CSAR is a separate mission with its own dedicated assets in the AF because we are a service run by pilots and those pilots want somebody to come pluck them out of the north atlantic when they have to punch out of their bazillion dollar superfighter.  Could the AFSOC unit 8 miles away from RAF Lakenheath, or co-located with the HH-60s at Kadena do the job just as well?  Yep.  Don't tell the fighter pilots that though.
Link Posted: 5/23/2015 4:21:43 PM EDT
[#4]
This is cool.  

Sorta kinda reminds me of the Fairey Rotodyne (which I still think is a cool idea).
Link Posted: 5/23/2015 4:23:15 PM EDT
[#5]
Non-permissive anybody can do it.  the fact is CSAR is a capability that we don't really use and we certainly don't need 100 birds reserved for it.  It does a lot of conus stuff which is nice, but not why we bought it.

SCUBA diving HALO guys using a C130 and two blackhawks to halo in and tape a sprained ankle just to be picked up by a helo an hour later is Sofa King.  That counts as a "saved life" btw.

and a non-permissive environment you better bring some ass with you.  which is why they wanted the -47s.  so you would have CSAR squadrons with their own ground security assets to be tacked on to yet again to a mission which tasked army or marine ground elements could do and better.  

Link Posted: 5/23/2015 4:24:54 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 5/23/2015 4:25:12 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Non-permissive anybody can do it.  the fact is CSAR is a capability that we don't really use and we certainly don't need 100 birds reserved for it.  It does a lot of conus stuff which is nice, but not why we bought it.

SCUBA diving HALO guys using a C130 and two blackhawks to halo in and tape a sprained ankle just to be picked up by a helo an hour later is Sofa King.  That counts as a "saved life" btw.

and a non-permissive environment you better bring some ass with you.  which is why they wanted the -47s.  so you would have CSAR squadrons with their own ground security assets to be tacked on to yet again to a mission which tasked army or marine ground elements could do and better.  

View Quote

That shit is sexy as fuck though, you know you'd do it if you could.  
Link Posted: 5/23/2015 4:44:26 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Its hot.  no doubt.

but its a giant waste.

I am really tired of losing wars and men for no purpose and then driving on like nothing happened.

we are becoming a DoD comprised of spoiled trophy wives driving land rovers they can't change the tires on.
Link Posted: 5/23/2015 4:47:25 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
UK uses MERT CH47 to great effect. Plenty of medics/doctors, security, and 160kt speed.
View Quote

Its a smart use.  20 frames (or plus up 160th and task appropriately) with an ODA and some GP forces and some PROFIS docs.  but then you can't justify your halo studs unless everybody on that 47 is halo/scuba studs.  

the delineation of -47s as only an air mobility asset and not air assault is retarded.
Link Posted: 5/23/2015 4:50:33 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 5/23/2015 4:51:08 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

I am really tired of losing wars and men for no purpose and then driving on like nothing happened.

we are becoming a DoD comprised of spoiled trophy wives driving land rovers they can't change the tires on.
View Quote

But what would change that? Losing is a political term, at least when you've annihilated every ounce of military opposition against you.
We don't win politically, but that's not a DoD problem, is it?

We've never asked for more than some land to bury our dead, and we don't even do that now.

I feel like we're this reluctant empire that's embarrassed by its own might.
Link Posted: 5/23/2015 4:51:57 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
CH47s are used as AASLT platforms a ton. I did countless ones in Korea. Min force, even when I was tail end charlie behind the assault 60 fags (4 hawks), was 1 CH47. Nothing like briefing your irrelevance during the AMB.

We had guys do nothing but DS assault missions with Tier 1 guys as regular army CH47 crews.
View Quote

I know.  I'd much rather have a 47.  The biggest benefit of the 60 is the fact that if you lose a bird, the mission can go on.  You lose a 47, you have lost a lot of assets..
Link Posted: 5/23/2015 4:53:26 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

But what would change that?

We've never asked for more than some land to bury our dead, and we don't even do that now.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Fighting wars in the cheapest possible manner to keep the surrender lobby and america hating party quiet so we have the time to do what needs to be done.

GP can't fight cheap.  And SOCOM is getting more expensive all the time.

never mind the marines in ospreys zulus and f35bs.
Link Posted: 5/23/2015 4:53:43 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

What's old is new again:

http://i.imgur.com/c800rJq.jpg
View Quote

The same can be said of the B-2.

Some ideas are before their time.

Link Posted: 5/23/2015 4:56:44 PM EDT
[#15]
another over priced over engineered Sikorsky flop. comanche all over again
Link Posted: 5/23/2015 4:58:20 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 5/23/2015 5:00:07 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

It literally just flew. How is it a flop?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

give it time.

comanche flew, too.

doesn't mean he isn't wrong, but doesn't mean he is wrong, either.
Link Posted: 5/23/2015 5:00:09 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

it may work well and perform  but it will never make production.
Link Posted: 5/23/2015 5:00:59 PM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 5/23/2015 5:02:09 PM EDT
[#20]
they should be working on designing a composite blackhawk instead of the 97 .
Link Posted: 5/23/2015 5:03:13 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
View Quote

What makes you think they haven't?
Link Posted: 5/23/2015 5:05:16 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

They left a big piece of one in Pakistan not long ago.  
Link Posted: 5/23/2015 5:07:15 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Would it be beyond reason to speculate that was something they toted there to troll the Pakis and Chinese?
Link Posted: 5/23/2015 5:09:11 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

You may be right. They gotta find someone to buy 300 or so.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

it may work well and perform  but it will never make production.

You may be right. They gotta find someone to buy 300 or so.

and, see I have no problem with the B2 (in general, not specifically)  go ahead and say, "we will buy 30 of these." and it will keep RnD under control.

Sometimes you don't need a shitload of specialty items.

If we had just planned to buy the CV-22, we wouldn't have been as willing to piss away so many billions on RnD.  (and could have avoided the folding blade requirement which cost a lot in weight and complexity.

A/OH-6 seems to be an OK program.
Link Posted: 5/23/2015 5:17:31 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:
Fighting wars in the cheapest possible manner to keep the surrender lobby and america hating party quiet so we have the time to do what needs to be done.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Sir, your heart is in the right place. But I must say that we need first rate weapons to counter enemies like China or Russia. Arming ourselves to fight only highly mobile conflicts in 3rd world countries will bite us in the ass.

That's the same mentality that has haunted us over and over again, trying to fight the last war.

As Ron said, it's much easier to be geared up to fight a bad ass enemy and then occasionally squash a terrorist group or 3rd world dictator, than it is to be built around fighting those conflicts, and then find yourself in a fight with a well organized and well equipped military.
Link Posted: 5/23/2015 5:19:06 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

As Ron said, it's much easier to be geared up to fight a bad ass enemy and then occasionally squash a terrorist group or 3rd world dictator, than it is to be built around fighting those conflicts, and then find yourself in a fight with a well organized and well equipped military.
View Quote

Do you think we'll ever be in a conventional fight with Russia or China?
Link Posted: 5/23/2015 5:23:00 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

It could happen if we got into that mentality of constructing only weapons for droning terrorist leaders and weak ass highly mobile vehicles for running around the Serengeti, Mogadishu, and using prop planes primarily for CAS.

Spending money on advanced weapons can be way cheaper than actually getting into a REAL war because the enemy believed your military response would be weak and lacking.
Link Posted: 5/23/2015 5:23:51 PM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 5/23/2015 5:25:33 PM EDT
[#29]
Damn, that looks awesome.
Link Posted: 5/23/2015 5:44:35 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

What compound coaxial helicopter flew in the 60s?  A non-coax compound like Commanche is a whole different beast with a different set of problems.  The fact that we can now build rigid rotor heads and use fly by wire in helicopters is new, and that's what makes something like the X2 or Raider more feasible.  I don't see that it's much a technological challenge though, honestly.  I wasn't convinced they'd get the speed out of the X2 they promised, but they did.
View Quote

Commanche was a compound design?  

Sikorsky had a YSH-60 demonstrator. Single main rotor with wings.  Good speed, but it sucked at hovering which is very bad on boats.
Link Posted: 5/23/2015 5:48:00 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

Sikorsky had a YSH-60 demonstrator. Single main rotor with wings.  Good speed, but it sucked at hovering which is very bad on boats.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

What compound coaxial helicopter flew in the 60s?  A non-coax compound like Commanche is a whole different beast with a different set of problems.  The fact that we can now build rigid rotor heads and use fly by wire in helicopters is new, and that's what makes something like the X2 or Raider more feasible.  I don't see that it's much a technological challenge though, honestly.  I wasn't convinced they'd get the speed out of the X2 they promised, but they did.

Sorry, meant to say Cheyenne.

Are you talking about this beast?  The X-49A?

Link Posted: 5/23/2015 6:08:05 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
What's old is new again:

View Quote

Here's the best "What's old is new again" comparisons  The father of a kid who worked for me was a senior engineer on this one.

Link Posted: 5/23/2015 6:10:10 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

Here's the best "What's old is new again" comparisons  The father of a kid who worked for me was a senior engineer on this one.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TIFkCxQWAfU
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
What's old is new again:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TIFkCxQWAfU

Good one.  

The two extra engines kind of fuck up the fuel economy though (and made it unable to hover).  
Link Posted: 5/23/2015 6:14:26 PM EDT
[#34]
EADS built this hilarious whirlygig recently too.  It was a hair faster than the X2, but man it looks like it could slice, dice, and julienne.

Link Posted: 5/23/2015 6:37:38 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

they haven't . trust me
Link Posted: 5/23/2015 6:41:37 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

they haven't . trust me
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

they haven't . trust me

Do you even UH-60M bro?

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 5/23/2015 7:08:22 PM EDT
[#37]
Some day I'll have to take the old test flight slides of the AH-56A and scan them in for old time sake. My father was the test director for Lockheed on the 56A. He started on the project at the rotor test facility in Rye Canyon outside of the Saugus/LA area, where they tested the rigid rotors and mast. Then we moved on to Yuma for flight testing. Lots of good pics from the King Air chase plane and some static shots with the armament laid out.

Several things I remember his telling about the bird were 1) in a computer mock battle with a destroyer, the ship was sunk and 2) the very early morning he came home after being gone all the previous day and night......cleaning up the crash site of one of the birds. Catastrophic rotor mast failure causing the blades to impact the cockpit. The "APE" as they called them (Army evaluation pilot) had just enough time to switch on the recorder on his ankle before he died. Dad was very, very sullen. He respected those guys 1000%. (one of the pictures is dad and one of the APEs holding bananas)

There are more interesting things about it, but the ending of Vietnam  was the budget death nail for the project.
Link Posted: 5/23/2015 7:11:20 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

Do you even UH-60M bro?

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

they haven't . trust me

Do you even UH-60M bro?

The M has some nice improvements over the L but it's the same old airframe as it's always been.
Link Posted: 5/23/2015 7:30:01 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

The M has some nice improvements over the L but it's the same old airframe as it's always been.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

they haven't . trust me

Do you even UH-60M bro?

exactly

its not like when they went to the 53e to the 53k
Link Posted: 5/23/2015 8:14:52 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

Sir, your heart is in the right place. But I must say that we need first rate weapons to counter enemies like China or Russia. Arming ourselves to fight only highly mobile conflicts in 3rd world countries will bite us in the ass.

That's the same mentality that has haunted us over and over again, trying to fight the last war.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

And I'll argue nuclear powers do not go toe to toe conventionally.
Link Posted: 5/23/2015 8:16:36 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

And yet we've been fighting proxy wars with nuclear powers since the 50s.  That's pretty much all we've fought since the beginning of the nuclear age.
Link Posted: 5/23/2015 8:18:58 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

And yet we've been fighting proxy wars with nuclear powers since the 50s.  That's pretty much all we've fought since the beginning of the nuclear age.
View Quote

And thats exactly my point.

thats why I said "toe to toe"

we are fighting china right now.  but we pretend we aren't.  and then we pretend we are going to by going downtown beijing.  which is why we need 2400 F35s and 200 new B2 bombers.

Its bullshit and defies common sense.
Link Posted: 5/23/2015 8:20:30 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

we are fighting china right now.  but we pretend we aren't.  and then we pretend we are going to by going downtown beijing.  which is why we need 2400 F35s and 200 new B2 bombers.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

And yet Russia and the Chinese won't hesitate to sell their most capable aircraft and SAMs to whoever can pay for them.  That's the threats we have to prepare for, whether they are in Beijing or Karachi.
Link Posted: 5/23/2015 8:26:39 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

And yet Russia and the Chinese won't hesitate to sell their most capable aircraft and SAMs to whoever can pay for them.  That's the threats we have to prepare for, whether they are in Beijing or Karachi.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

And thats a question of scale.

Do we need the entire fleet to be exquisite?  Or do we need a smaller capable fleet?  Imagine we skipped the F35 and just used the F22 against the amazingly low probability we are going to use it?

We have 5000 M1 tanks.  Thats 10 divisions worth 10 pure armor divisions.  

We have 100% PGMs.  that is an actual game changer technology.  we should be dropping our fleets of attack aircraft by an order of magnitude.

Remove nuclear powers.  Who has the best AF out there after us that isn't NATO or a Pacific Ally.

Tell me again why we need 2400 F35s.

Link Posted: 5/23/2015 8:34:43 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

Do we need the entire fleet to be exquisite?  Or do we need a smaller capable fleet?  Imagine we skipped the F35 and just used the F22 against the amazingly low probability we are going to use it?

We have 100% PGMs.  that is an actual game changer technology.  we should be dropping our fleets of attack aircraft by an order of magnitude.

Remove nuclear powers.  Who has the best AF out there after us that isn't NATO or a Pacific Ally.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

We don't.  I'm in agreement with you 100% with regards to the F-35.  Everybody but the USMC could carry on without it and we would be better off.  We could buy advanced F-15s in the vein of the SG or SA or K models, and block 60 F-16s.  The USN already has a modern fleet of superbugs, only the Marines would be without their stealth supersonic hovering transforming magical airplanes (that can't carry shit).
Link Posted: 5/23/2015 8:40:16 PM EDT
[#46]
And this helicopter is just another version of an F35.  More expensive for more expensive sake.

we use the term game changer when we forgot what it means.

the last game changer in the helicopter world was the turboshaft engine.

we have been incrementally improving it ever sense.  

the osprey said improving the speed was a game changer.  and, guess what, it didn't change shit. maybe raiding ability for some SOCOM units 1% of the time.
Link Posted: 5/23/2015 8:42:12 PM EDT
[#47]
Link Posted: 5/23/2015 8:44:41 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
And this helicopter is just another version of an F35.  More expensive for more expensive sake.

the osprey said improving the speed was a game changer.  and, guess what, it didn't change shit. maybe raiding ability for some SOCOM units 1% of the time.
View Quote

You are downplaying the Osprey's capabilities.  For starters it has a range at least four times that of other helicopters, enough that it can self deploy just about anywhere.  It flies at C-130 speeds, for damn near C-130 distances.  It has proven to be a lot more robust under fire than many had anticipated as well.  It has amazing speed and range and we have put it to good use.
Link Posted: 5/23/2015 8:46:56 PM EDT
[#49]
Link Posted: 5/23/2015 8:47:32 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

You are downplaying the Osprey's capabilities.  For starters it has a range at least four times that of other helicopters, enough that it can self deploy just about anywhere.  It flies at C-130 speeds, for damn near C-130 distances.  It has proven to be a lot more robust under fire than many had anticipated as well.  It has amazing speed and range and we have put it to good use.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

And we have the ability to refuel in flight for other helicopters and for the VAST majority of missions the Osprey was bought for those capabilities are completely irrelevent.  But we still spent 120 million per.  plus the much lower availability.

Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top