BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 4
Posted: 5/22/2015 2:06:25 PM EDT
Link Posted: 5/22/2015 2:11:04 PM EDT
[#1]
Neat!

It sounds like they developed the flight model from the simulator...

If that isn't a new thing - I guess I'm old fashioned. I always thought that the simulator came last.  
Link Posted: 5/22/2015 2:18:14 PM EDT
[#2]
Neat.
Link Posted: 5/22/2015 2:19:41 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 5/22/2015 2:24:54 PM EDT
[#4]
What's old is new again:

Link Posted: 5/22/2015 4:25:04 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 5/22/2015 4:28:45 PM EDT
[#6]
... I hear Sikorsky is on the market
Link Posted: 5/22/2015 4:33:49 PM EDT
[#7]
Nothing like the feeling of seeing something you worked on, especially a prototype or a fist aircraft, taking to the sky for the first time.

I had that opportunity working with Sikorsky on the S92 program in Coatesville, PA (the first aircraft entirely built at that facility).
Link Posted: 5/22/2015 4:36:36 PM EDT
[#8]
Sikorsky/Pratt Whitney also has the biggest horse flies known to man on their property.

If I didn't know any better I'd think they were manufacturing miniature drones out there as well.
Link Posted: 5/22/2015 4:38:25 PM EDT
[#9]
Badass unit...
Link Posted: 5/22/2015 4:42:05 PM EDT
[#10]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
What's old is new again:

http://i.imgur.com/c800rJq.jpg
View Quote

That's nothing like the bird the thread is about.
Link Posted: 5/22/2015 4:43:54 PM EDT
[#11]
If I was Chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff and Secretary of Defense, I'd make the Army buy this.
Link Posted: 5/22/2015 4:45:47 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
If I was Chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff and Secretary of Defense, I'd make the Army buy this.
View Quote

You'd probably have to do some sort of competition.
Link Posted: 5/22/2015 4:46:08 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
What's old is new again:

View Quote

Pinky promise, we'll support you guys with A-10s. You don't need those.
Link Posted: 5/22/2015 4:46:08 PM EDT
[#14]
Russia's already got one and it's tail fin doesn't need to be upside down either.

Link Posted: 5/22/2015 4:47:06 PM EDT
[#15]

Yeah, but we'll be able to afford to actually operate ours.
Link Posted: 5/22/2015 4:55:23 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Russia's already got one and it's tail fin doesn't need to be upside down either.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/0/0c/Russian_Air_Force_Kamov_Ka-50.jpg
View Quote
A coax chopper does not the S-97 make.

And the Cheyenne was not only completely different, it was basically garbage.

Link Posted: 5/22/2015 4:55:37 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 5/22/2015 4:58:25 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Yeah, and the Hokum is only 92mph slower
Coaxial helis are nothing new. That's about the only similarity between the Raider and Ka-50.

The Brits did it first anyway.

Quoted:

That is comparing a 1970 Mustang to a 2015 Mustang.
Hey, the S-97 has only just started flight tests, you can't insult it yet!

Link Posted: 5/22/2015 5:04:08 PM EDT
[#19]
yep

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 5/22/2015 5:05:38 PM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 5/22/2015 5:09:24 PM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 5/22/2015 5:31:48 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

Sikorsky learned a lot from their previous programs and rolled it into this one.

I went to a capes brief from JSOC and Sikorsky on the Raider. Its neat
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Sikorsky learned a lot from their previous programs and rolled it into this one.

Is the S-97 a test bed for the SB-1, or do they have plans to take it into production as is?
Link Posted: 5/22/2015 5:37:00 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Neat!

It sounds like they developed the flight model from the simulator...

If that isn't a new thing - I guess I'm old fashioned. I always thought that the simulator came last.  
View Quote

cheaper to build a situation and model with a computer first. then you have a good idea of how it needs to be put together and what the flight envelope is before you start.
Link Posted: 5/22/2015 5:37:01 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Is the S-97 a test bed for the SB-1, or do they have plans to take it into production as is?
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

I'm sure they'd like to sell it as a Kiowa replacement, but it's mostly just a learning experience for the SB>1.

Link Posted: 5/22/2015 5:40:58 PM EDT
[#25]
Nice Chopper.
Link Posted: 5/22/2015 5:48:06 PM EDT
[#26]
Looks nicer than the Eurocopter X3

that thing looks like its trying to tear itself apart with torque
Link Posted: 5/22/2015 5:50:15 PM EDT
[#27]
I am a huge fan of Sikorsky.  I have ridden in the H-60 Coast Guard model many times in weather in Alaska that grounded all other aircraft.  It wasn't fun but we always made it.
Igor Sikorsky was a hell of a designer from what I know of him.  Just to show you how badass a Sikorsky helicopter is, I give you the following excerpt from a Coast Guard memo.

"As an example of this helicopter's effectiveness, on December 2000 a dramatic rescue took place 200 miles off the coast of Virginia. The cruise liner SeaBreaze I suffered an engine failure during a storm and soon began taking on water. One US Coast Guard HH-60J Jayhawk helicopter rescued 26 crewmembers."

That aircrew stuffed 26 people in one of these things and safely flew them back.

Link Posted: 5/22/2015 5:52:17 PM EDT
[#28]

Heh heh.  It looks like a Blackhawk was getting too hot so they welded one of those giant warehouse fans to the back.  

Link Posted: 5/22/2015 10:30:36 PM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 5/22/2015 10:36:28 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
What's old is new again:

View Quote

My first thought, it is like a coaxial Cheyenne.
Link Posted: 5/22/2015 10:42:46 PM EDT
[#31]
Very cool, I'm glad to see something actually innovative in the aviation world.
Link Posted: 5/22/2015 10:44:13 PM EDT
[#32]
Link Posted: 5/22/2015 10:45:05 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

And totally removed from military influence and funding. The Sikorsky guys are burning a lot of money with this project.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

And totally removed from military influence and funding. The Sikorsky guys are burning a lot of money with this project.

I hope it pays off for them.  It's a much lower risk approach to V-22 like speeds, IMO.
Link Posted: 5/22/2015 10:45:08 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
I am a huge fan of Sikorsky.  I have ridden in the H-60 Coast Guard model many times in weather in Alaska that grounded all other aircraft.  It wasn't fun but we always made it.
Igor Sikorsky was a hell of a designer from what I know of him.  Just to show you how badass a Sikorsky helicopter is, I give you the following excerpt from a Coast Guard memo.

"As an example of this helicopter's effectiveness, on December 2000 a dramatic rescue took place 200 miles off the coast of Virginia. The cruise liner SeaBreaze I suffered an engine failure during a storm and soon began taking on water. One US Coast Guard HH-60J Jayhawk helicopter rescued 26 crewmembers."

That aircrew stuffed 26 people in one of these things and safely flew them back.

http://www.aviastar.org/foto/sik_s-70-sea_1.jpg
View Quote

Holy clown car.
Link Posted: 5/22/2015 10:46:30 PM EDT
[#35]
As they transistion to more forward speed via the push prop, will they be able to cut power to the lift rotors and maintain altitude like a gyrocopter?
Link Posted: 5/22/2015 10:47:26 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/0/0c/Russian_Air_Force_Kamov_Ka-50.jpg
View Quote

Please refrain from comparing the Black Shark and Alligator to some Sikorsky piece of shit. Thanks.

There's a reason he couldn't cut building birds in Russia and had to move over here.

SAMs, Helicopters, light machine guns, these are all things that Russia does better than anyone in the world.
Link Posted: 5/22/2015 10:47:51 PM EDT
[#37]
Link Posted: 5/22/2015 10:48:34 PM EDT
[#38]
Kinda looks like an attack sub fucked a Blackhawk that did meth while pregnant. However, can't wait to see how it performs.
Link Posted: 5/22/2015 10:52:12 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

Essentially, yes. Pitch reduction in the main rotor, as well as reduced RRPM will reduce the onset of retreating blade stall.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
As they transistion to more forward speed via the push prop, will they be able to cut power to the lift rotors and maintain altitude like a gyrocopter?

Essentially, yes. Pitch reduction in the main rotor, as well as reduced RRPM will reduce the onset of retreating blade stall.

Thanks. Interesting concept if that will save fuel.
Link Posted: 5/23/2015 7:44:13 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

I hope it pays off for them.  It's a much lower risk approach to V-22 like speeds, IMO.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Lower risk than what?  They had one concept (X-2) which flew about 20 hours, and this one has flown for one hour.  It could turn out to be awesome, but it could turn out to be a nightmare.  There are always unknowns.  Is that really lower risk than something like the tilt-rotor which has been deployed to places like Iraq, Libya, Afghanistan, Africa for nearly a decade?
Link Posted: 5/23/2015 7:55:33 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
View Quote

Except neither have the power to do that.  Acquisition runs through Service Secretaries.
Link Posted: 5/23/2015 7:59:19 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

SAMs, Helicopters, light machine guns, these are all things that Russia does better than anyone in the world.
View Quote

Do you even SM-6, bro?
Link Posted: 5/23/2015 8:01:07 AM EDT
[#43]
Link Posted: 5/23/2015 8:09:17 AM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:

Nothing like the feeling of seeing something you worked on, especially a prototype or a fist aircraft, taking to the sky for the first time.

I had that opportunity working with Sikorsky on the S92 program in Coatesville, PA (the first aircraft entirely built at that facility).
View Quote
Same for me, but with THAAD.

Link Posted: 5/23/2015 9:28:08 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

Lower risk than what?  They had one concept (X-2) which flew about 20 hours, and this one has flown for one hour.  It could turn out to be awesome, but it could turn out to be a nightmare.  There are always unknowns.  Is that really lower risk than something like the tilt-rotor which has been deployed to places like Iraq, Libya, Afghanistan, Africa for nearly a decade?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

A compound helicopter is much lower risk than a tilt rotor.  For one thing it can auto-rotate.  It doesn't need to rotate engines (and fuel, electrical power, hydraulics, control busses) every time it transitions from forward flight to a hover and back.  It flies and acts just like any other coax helicopter, it just has a lot more speed in forward flight.  Like I've said before, if not for the ridiculous transformer-like folding necessary on the V-22 it would be a much better airframe.  Fuselage mounted engines with driveshafts to the gearboxes/proprotors would mean a lot less complexity.  I'm the one defending the Osprey's record on here usually, not attacking it.  I have friends with 10+ years of working on them that have told me horror stories about the maintenance requirements, and I'd bet that they would be a hell of a lot less onerous on the Raider or something like it.
Link Posted: 5/23/2015 9:51:42 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Wouldn't the fact that there are counter rotating main rotors negate the problem of retreating blade stall?  You would always have blades on either side providing lift.  

In any case I bet this turns out to be a great bird precisely because it's not being developed as part of a government program.   Private innovation FTW!
Link Posted: 5/23/2015 9:55:41 AM EDT
[#47]
Neat tail design.

Can someone explain the advantages of that.... to this NON-Engineer?

ETA: Looks like a Pusher prop? Sorry, I only looked at the OP and didn't read any of the thread.
Link Posted: 5/23/2015 10:00:42 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
On this first flight, the aircraft’s rear pusher-propeller — which enables maximum speeds well in excess of those of conventional helicopters — was intentionally spinning but not engaged.
View Quote
View Quote

Link Posted: 5/23/2015 10:04:44 AM EDT
[#49]
Link Posted: 5/23/2015 10:06:28 AM EDT
[#50]
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top