BCM
User Panel

Page / 3
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 2/12/2016 11:30:43 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Do you have any sense of the level of impairment generally associated with a 0.085?

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
DUI Should be a capital offense

I know right!!!   Fuck the guy that decided to have a third glass of wine, but his pasta sucked so he didn't finish it and ended up over the legal limit with a "dim license plate light".  

You know what else should be a Capitol offense?   Fucking stupidity and piss ignorant asshats that prefer to regulate the living pubic hair off of everything that SOMETIMES is a totally victimless crime and an honest mistake.  

Fucking fuck.

Eta: Fuck iPhones too

I don't know about all of that, but I was 12 years old when I watched my 10 year old cousin get ran over and killed by a drunk driver. We were playing in his front yard and his mom was on the front porch and saw the whole thing go down. You can stop with the "victimless crime" and "honest mistake" bullshit. The fact is all DUI fatalities are preventable if "piss ignorant asshats" would stay off the fucking road after drinking..

There's a big difference between someone too drunk to stand up and someone who blows a .085.  You paint with a broad brush.  

Regardless, I'm sorry for your loss.

Do you have any sense of the level of impairment generally associated with a 0.085?

Do I know what it's like to be impaired 1/1000th more than the .gov says is ok to operate a motor vehicle?   Oh lawdy lawdy no.  Please sir, enlighten me.
Link Posted: 2/12/2016 11:30:51 PM EDT
[#2]
I wonder if any of the "DUI should be a capital offense" people have ever driven while tired?
Link Posted: 2/12/2016 11:31:19 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
DUI will get your 2A rights revoked in MA.
View Quote

So a constitutional guaranteed right is taken away because someone drives ( a privilege) drunk, yet they can still drive after they get their license back. That's fucked up
Link Posted: 2/12/2016 11:32:07 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Was the crime he was convicted of punishable by more than one year of imprisonment?  If yes, then he is federally prohibited.  

Your state may also have further or more strict/specific regulations as well.
View Quote

That's the issue in MA.

1st DUI is a misdemeanor but the statutory maximum sentence is >1yr.  Almost nobody gets that, or anything remotely close to that, but the state law triggers the federal prohibition.
Link Posted: 2/12/2016 11:32:28 PM EDT
[#5]
Deep breathes folks.  No one needs to get a timeout or warning arguing about a DUI.

I believe we should use the death penalty as a nation way more often than we do now,  But just like with killing someone, there are different circumstances behind each and every DUI which is why not every case is going to be handled the same way.  Someone who barely blows above the legal limit who is clearly not impaired is not the same as the 60 year old who has committed his 15th DUI in his life of which he has been in multiple accidents also over the years under the influence.  

The first person doesn't deserve to be sentenced to death especially when the evidence shows he was not impaired.  Yes the law states he should be punished.  The second person should have been put down long before getting charged his 15th DUI though that is for damn sure.

Just remember those anti-gun folks out there want to use the worst cases involving a firearm to justify taking them away from everyone.  This is no different than arguing about any subject that has folks on both sides who believe strongly in their beliefs.

I lost twin cousins to a drunk driver when I was 9.  The women who was drunk had a history of DUIs and should have been put to death after the first 5 or so DUIs in which she clearly had learned nothing from and had no intention of changing her ways.  Yet this doesn't mean everyone who gets charged with one should be put to death without knowing the entire story behind the charge.

OP if you feel the person is a responsible adult who can handle the firearm in question and is not legally excluded from purchasing a firearm then yes sell the gun.

Link Posted: 2/12/2016 11:33:10 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
View Quote

The last person who would have in fact killed me quite fucking dead if I hadn't seen what she was about to do was some blonde-permed soccer bitch who's phone call was far more important than checking to see that she wasn't pulling out in front of 5mph highway traffic.

Pure selfishness & negligence, far more so than someone who has 3 beers and drives a mile and half home at 35mph.

Want to impress me, Billy Badass?  Call for summary execution of dumb bitches who blatantly violate the rules of the road and rely on other people to avoid their stupidity.
Link Posted: 2/12/2016 11:33:38 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
I don't know about all of that, but I was 12 years old when I watched my 10 year old cousin get ran over and killed by a drunk driver. We were playing in his front yard and his mom was on the front porch and saw the whole thing go down. You can stop with the "victimless crime" and "honest mistake" bullshit. The fact is all DUI fatalities are preventable if "piss ignorant asshats" would stay off the fucking road after drinking..
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I know right!!!   Fuck the guy that decided to have a third glass of wine, but his pasta sucked so he didn't finish it and ended up over the legal limit with a "dim license plate light".  

You know what else should be a Capitol offense?   Fucking stupidity and piss ignorant asshats that prefer to regulate the living pubic hair off of everything that SOMETIMES is a totally victimless crime and an honest mistake.  

Fucking fuck.

I'm not being a DUI apologist but not all DUI's result in accidents/fatalities.  Most such arrests are bullshit.  Flame on if you must.
Link Posted: 2/12/2016 11:35:41 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

The last person who would have in fact killed me quite fucking dead if I hadn't seen what she was about to do was some blonde-permed soccer bitch who's phone call was far more important than checking to see that she wasn't pulling out in front of 5mph highway traffic.

Pure selfishness & negligence, far more so than someone who has 3 beers and drives a mile and half home at 35mph.

Want to impress me, Billy Badass?  Call for summary execution of dumb bitches who blatantly violate the rules of the road and rely on other people to avoid their stupidity.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I can fap to this post. Nothing I hate more than blonde permed soccer bitches on the phone..

Well besides drunk drivers.
Link Posted: 2/12/2016 11:37:19 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

This guy fucking gets it.

DWI shouldn't even be illegal. It's already illegal to run red lights, run stop signs, run someone over, etc. Whether someone runs a child over while completely sober or completely drunk should be irrelevant. What they actually do is what should be relevant, not the amount of alcohol in their blood while doing it.

I've had close friends and family members killed by drunk drivers. I'll reiterate: DWI should be perfectly legal.
Link Posted: 2/12/2016 11:42:34 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

I'm not being a DUI apologist but not all DUI's result in accidents/fatalities.  Most such arrests are bullshit.  Flame on if you must.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Fucking fuck.

I agree with you. The capitol offence bit is absurd as well, but so is this "victimless crime and "honest mistake" bullshit. I'm not flaming anyone, just pointing out that not all DUIs arrest are bullshit.
Link Posted: 2/12/2016 11:43:17 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
A case could be made that someone convicted of a DUI was (and is) a prohibited person, and so unable to legally buy a firearm.

I'd look into how the BATFE considers such people, and in any event route the transaction through an FFL.
View Quote

No you can't make the case unless it was a felony DUI.

A misdemeanor is a misdemeanor. The only misdemeanor that makes you a prohibited person is domestic violence.

While DUI is stupid, unless its a felony DUI generally due to multiple offenses or injury you are not a prohibited person.

Link Posted: 2/12/2016 11:45:40 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

That's the issue in MA.

1st DUI is a misdemeanor but the statutory maximum sentence is >1yr.  Almost nobody gets that, or anything remotely close to that, but the state law triggers the federal prohibition.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Was the crime he was convicted of punishable by more than one year of imprisonment?  If yes, then he is federally prohibited.  

That's the issue in MA.

No that isn't it.

If you read the instructions on the dealer side of the 4473, or the actual law you will see where it specifically exempts misdemeanor that are punishable up to 2 years.

Unless a misdemeanor is punishable by over two years in Massachusetts, it doesn't trigger the federal prohibition.

Link Posted: 2/12/2016 11:48:33 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

48 hours community service is what he got
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

48 hours community service is what he got

Sentence received is not relevant, only what the sentencing guidelines dictate
Link Posted: 2/12/2016 11:49:57 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Well he drank over a holiday weekend and a cop woke him up in his car in a ditch
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Was it a Felony DUI?

I was under the impressions every DUI is a felony

Nope.

Well he drank over a holiday weekend and a cop woke him up in his car in a ditch

Unless he hit and seriously injured/killed someone on his way into the ditch, or caused some ridiculous amount of property damage, it's probably not going to be a felony (unless you have some weird, fucked up state laws).

ETA:  For possible weird, fucked up state laws.  
Link Posted: 2/12/2016 11:54:25 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

I agree with you. The capitol offence bit is absurd as well, but so is this "victimless crime and "honest mistake" bullshit. I'm not flaming anyone, just pointing out that not all DUIs arrest are bullshit.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Fucking fuck.

I said sometimes it is victimless.  I also stand by saying that sometimes it is an honest mistake.  take a veteran recently home from deployment.  He stops by a bar and has 4 beers and then heads home.  Should it really be a Capitol offense if he gets pulled over?  

I'm sorry but that's insane.  

Furthermore, I'd venture to say that the majority of DUI's are for far less than .09.  

Some should be excused.   Many are not.  

Disclaimer:   I've never had a dui, DWI, or any alcohol related offense, other than PI (which is a whole other soap box).
Link Posted: 2/12/2016 11:54:31 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

No that isn't it.

If you read the instructions on the dealer side of the 4473, or the actual law you will see where it specifically exempts misdemeanor that are punishable up to 2 years.

Unless a misdemeanor is punishable by over two years in Massachusetts, it doesn't trigger the federal prohibition.

http://i1196.photobucket.com/albums/aa408/Y8ber/100_9638_zpsrbkmizze.jpg
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

That's the issue in MA.

No that isn't it.

You're right.

MA's max sentence for "run of the mill" DUI 1st is 2.5 years. Thus triggering the federal prohibition.  The situation is unique to MA, AFAIK.

Link Posted: 2/12/2016 11:58:44 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Fucking fuck.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Fucking fuck.

Uhhhhh, no.  I won't go as far as saying drunk drivers should be executed on the spot, but there is no such thing as an "honest mistake" when it comes to drunk driving.  

Unless you are mentally retarded, you are fully capable of understanding (roughly) how many alcoholic beverages an average human of a given size can drink in a given amount of time while staying under the legal limit.  If that simple, somewhat not so perfect math is too much for you, there is always the option of not drinking any alcoholic beverages if you know you're going to be driving.

Whether you think so or not, there are some things that should NOT be allowed in our society, whether you deem them to be completely "victimless" or not.  I could walk outside into my driveway and wildly empty a full magazine out of my AR-15 and going by your criteria, so long as nobody is hit and nobody's property is damaged, I should be good to go.  It's simply not logical.
Link Posted: 2/12/2016 11:59:54 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

No that isn't it.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

That's the issue in MA.

No that isn't it.

That is interesting.  Reading 922(d) I don't see any exemption for the state level 2 year thing.  A skim/search of the rest of 922 shows nothing either.  Where in the USC is this exemption?

https://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/text/18/922

Eta:found it in 921.  Definition of "crime punishable by more than one year"' .  Only the government could decide that the definition of that does not include state level misdemeanors punishable by up to two years.
Link Posted: 2/13/2016 12:00:52 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

Do you see how easy it would be to substitute your anti alcohol rhetoric with anti gun shit?  

Sincerely, I am very sorry for your loss.  I just don't see how you condemn something like that and make it a Capitol offense.  

You would permantly condemn a man who had a shitty day at work, a fight with his wife, and then found out he was paying more in taxes than he thought, simply because he had 4 beers instead of 3 and his BAC was over an arbitrary number chosen by elected officials?  

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Fucking fuck.

I lost my brother to a drunk driver many years ago. Last year I myself was hospitalized by a drunk driver and if my daughter were still in the back seat who I just dropped off at day care would have been dead no doubt.

Drunk drivers can get fucked. I drink its not hard to call a fucking cab or setup a Uber.

Do you see how easy it would be to substitute your anti alcohol rhetoric with anti gun shit?  

Sincerely, I am very sorry for your loss.  I just don't see how you condemn something like that and make it a Capitol offense.  

You would permantly condemn a man who had a shitty day at work, a fight with his wife, and then found out he was paying more in taxes than he thought, simply because he had 4 beers instead of 3 and his BAC was over an arbitrary number chosen by elected officials?  

Considering the RKBA is enshrined in the BOR yet operating a motor vehicle while under the influence of drugs and/or alcohol is not, your argument is fucking retarded.  You should feel bad.
Link Posted: 2/13/2016 12:01:43 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

Unless he hit and seriously injured/killed someone on his way into the ditch, or caused some ridiculous amount of property damage, it's not going to be a felony.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Was it a Felony DUI?

Nope.

Unless he hit and seriously injured/killed someone on his way into the ditch, or caused some ridiculous amount of property damage, it's not going to be a felony.

Nope just wreaked the car a bit
Link Posted: 2/13/2016 12:06:52 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

I said sometimes it is victimless.  I also stand by saying that sometimes it is an honest mistake.  take a veteran recently home from deployment.  He stops by a bar and has 4 beers and then heads home.  Should it really be a Capitol offense if he gets pulled over?  

Furthermore, I'd venture to say that the majority of DUI's are for far less than .09.  

Disclaimer:   I've never had a dui, DWI, or any alcohol related offense, other than PI (which is a whole other soap box).
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Fucking fuck.

My personal experience contradicts that statement.  Anecdotal, I know, but the vast majority of DUI's I've worked were over .10.
Link Posted: 2/13/2016 12:07:12 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

DWI shouldn't even be illegal. It's already illegal to run red lights, run stop signs, run someone over, etc. Whether someone runs a child over while completely sober or completely drunk should be irrelevant. What they actually do is what should be relevant, not the amount of alcohol in their blood while doing it.

I've had close friends and family members killed by drunk drivers. I'll reiterate: DWI should be perfectly legal.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

You get it too.

Now that we've said this, in before the "Oh so people can fire a gun in a crowded street and it's okay as long as no one gets hurt?" argument.
Link Posted: 2/13/2016 12:07:24 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
I guess we're lucky an IQ test isn't required to own a gun, other wise some of you would be fucked.
View Quote

I stand by my original post, esp for those who make blanket statements.
Link Posted: 2/13/2016 12:18:37 AM EDT
[#24]
From the_ak_kid

I said sometimes it is victimless. I also stand by saying that sometimes it is an honest mistake. take a veteran recently home from deployment. He stops by a bar and has 4 beers and then heads home. Should it really be a Capitol offense if he gets pulled over?

Some should be excused. Many are not.

Disclaimer: I've never had a dui, DWI, or any alcohol related offense, other than PI (which is a whole other soap box).
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Did you even read the post you quoted??? I clearly stated I thought the capitol offence bit was absurd. As for your scenario, I couldn't give a fuck less what happened to that dude if he got pulled over. Play stupid games and all of that.

Sorry about the fucked up post, quote blocks and all that.
Link Posted: 2/13/2016 12:19:00 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

You get it too.

Now that we've said this, in before the "Oh so people can fire a gun in a crowded street and it's okay as long as no one gets hurt?" argument.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

You get it too.

That "argument" is formed using the same exact logic that the "DUI should be legal" crowd uses when making their arguments.

Shooting people is already illegal, right?  Destroying/damaging someone else's property is already illegal, right?  If that's the case, why should there need to be a law telling me where and in what manner I should be able to discharge a firearm?
Link Posted: 2/13/2016 12:19:14 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Are you afraid he's going to drive the gun while drunk?
View Quote

It happens.
Link Posted: 2/13/2016 12:28:07 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

You're right.

MA's max sentence for "run of the mill" DUI 1st is 2.5 years. Thus triggering the federal prohibition.  The situation is unique to MA, AFAIK.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

That's the issue in MA.

No that isn't it.

You're right.

That is an unusual penalty, 2.5 years for first offense DUI but yeah I guess that would be why you'd trigger the prohibition.

Link Posted: 2/13/2016 12:53:57 AM EDT
[#28]
Wow my Thead is derailed big time
Link Posted: 2/13/2016 12:54:59 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Do you feel like trusting a deadly weapon to somebody who can't even show enough judgement not to get behind the wheel when they're fucking plastered?

Because if something goes wrong, that could come back to you in court in a civil suit.
View Quote

Link Posted: 2/13/2016 1:00:45 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

DUI is not a disqualifier, unless (in most states) it's the fourth conviction, which is a felony.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Was it a Felony DUI?

DUI is not a disqualifier, unless (in most states) it's the fourth conviction, which is a felony.

Third is a felony in IA, have a coworker working to get his rights restored.
Link Posted: 2/13/2016 1:03:38 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
View Quote

Yeah, sorry.    Anyways, I think the general consensus is (so long as your state doesn't have any fucked up gun laws and this is his first offense) that you should be good to go.
Link Posted: 2/13/2016 1:14:24 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

Yeah, sorry.    Anyways, I think the general consensus is (so long as your state doesn't have any fucked up gun laws and this is his first offense) that you should be good to go.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

We are in utah
Link Posted: 2/13/2016 1:30:39 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

I lost my brother to a drunk driver many years ago. Last year I myself was hospitalized by a drunk driver and if my daughter were still in the back seat who I just dropped off at day care would have been dead no doubt.

Drunk drivers can get fucked. I drink its not hard to call a fucking cab or setup a Uber.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Fucking fuck.

I don't mean to encourage drinking and driving, but where I'm from there is no Uber or Cabs. Not for 75+ miles. Just a lot of small towns and gravel roads.
Link Posted: 2/13/2016 4:53:41 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
A misdemeanor is a misdemeanor. The only misdemeanor that makes you a prohibited person is domestic violence.
View Quote

Not exactly.....
Link Posted: 2/13/2016 5:06:46 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

So the DUI I had in 1983 disqualifies me.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Do you feel like trusting a deadly weapon to somebody who can't even show enough judgement not to get behind the wheel when they're fucking plastered?

Because if something goes wrong, that could come back to you in court in a civil suit.

So the DUI I had in 1983 disqualifies me.

at least you have your knives.

Link Posted: 2/13/2016 5:07:58 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

Come to Wisconsin. Your first one here isn't even a misdemeanor.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Was it a Felony DUI?

Come to Wisconsin. Your first one here isn't even a misdemeanor.

Save me a spot!
Link Posted: 2/13/2016 5:50:16 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Was it a Felony DUI?

And you would be WRONG ! ! !

Link Posted: 2/13/2016 8:10:41 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

I can fap to this post. Nothing I hate more than blonde permed soccer bitches on the phone..

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

where do you stand with regards to carnies and their big hands?
Link Posted: 2/13/2016 10:32:32 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Was it a Felony DUI?

Check your local laws. IN michigan third offense is a felony.

J-
Link Posted: 2/13/2016 10:38:22 PM EDT
[#40]

I got charged with a dui once.

Bought my first can not even a year later.

Link Posted: 2/13/2016 10:41:13 PM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Was it a Felony DUI?

Wow, really?

Link Posted: 2/13/2016 10:53:27 PM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Was it a Felony DUI?

Nope.

So, he not only drove drunk but drove so drunk he passed out while driving and went off the road and didn't even know it.

Thats a lot different than having a couple of beers and getting stopped at a DUI checkpoint and getting busted.

Everyone is entitled to make a mistake but his behaviour seems a little over the top.

Link Posted: 2/13/2016 10:56:38 PM EDT
[#43]
I'm going with distracted driving should be the death penalty.
You know cell phones or fatigue/

At least drunks try to avoid the accident.
Link Posted: 2/13/2016 10:59:36 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
I'm going with distracted driving should be the death penalty.
You know cell phones or fatigue/
View Quote

Physics doesn't care about the laws of men.

I say this as someone who forgot to put the rear landing leg down on a single axle trailer this afternoon.
Link Posted: 2/13/2016 11:03:23 PM EDT
[#45]
When in doubt.......you could always do the transfer through an FFL w/ the background check and the other paperwork stuff.

As others have pointed out.  If you have multiple convictions for DUI, you could be a felon.

Then.......

In some states......upon a DUI conviction, you have to go through an evaluation by a professional.  You know, to see how dependent you are on the stuff.  Which could lead to a disqualification, due to your "mental state."

Aloha, Mark
Link Posted: 2/13/2016 11:12:17 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Was it a Felony DUI?

Lol. No.

Sell it to him if you want or don't. I wouldn't have a problem selling it to him.
Page / 3
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top