Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 3
Link Posted: 5/2/2015 8:19:39 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Because you and your fellow travelers voted in a law that says you can't, ya fuckin' moron.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
“Why,” he asks, “can’t two consenting people make arrangements for less than x dollars per hour?”

Because you and your fellow travelers voted in a law that says you can't, ya fuckin' moron.

Because progressives, like the owner, are statist, communist, fascists, who won't allow people to enter into agreements based on freedom and mutual respect.
Fuck the owner with a cactus
Link Posted: 5/2/2015 8:20:40 AM EDT
[#2]
Grumpycatgood.jpg
Link Posted: 5/2/2015 8:22:50 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

There's a lot of misinformation in that article. Minimum wage in SF is already like 11.50. In addition, the $15.00 minimum wage doesn't go into effect for four years from the date that the law was enacted.

If you can afford to give your employee a .75 raise, your business probably wasn't economically viable to begin with.
View Quote
You clearly have never had employees before.

Paying and employee say $10 an hour costs the employer about $20 and hour.

$10 for the salary

6.25% of the salary to match the social security & medicare tax

10% of the salary for unemployment insurance

3.5% of the salary for workers comp/liability insurance

then figure in fuckups an employee costs you, paperwork from FOC or other wage garnishments,

Now...add in benefits, Health insurance, 401k matches etc....

Have a business that is in an area that is highly competitive or has a product with a fixed retail price...like print.

There isn't any margin on a per product basis, profit comes from volume. And any market had a finite volume or saturation point.

I'll refer you to the supply/demand curves from high school econ class.

$80k a year is a lot of money for a small business to manufacture from thin fucking air and to absorb.

Shit if the construction business made $80k year in profits...I'd been retired after 10 years.

Link Posted: 5/2/2015 8:23:01 AM EDT
[#4]
I still wonder what will happen to those that make 15 an hour now,  That being ~4 and change more than they are making now.

Will they get a raise or be min wage employees?
Link Posted: 5/2/2015 8:26:25 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Homer Simpson is what sprang to my mind.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I swear I read this in Milton Friedman's voice.

Homer Simpson is what sprang to my mind.

Homer Simpson IS Milton Friedman in YOUR version of "reality"
Link Posted: 5/2/2015 8:27:41 AM EDT
[#6]
The obvious answer is to amend the law so that it applies to everyone except comic book stores.
Link Posted: 5/2/2015 8:29:12 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

5 x 7.50 * 40 * 52 = 78000

He has 5 employees.
He's currently paying them 7.50, and the increase will be another $7.50 per hour.
He pays for 40 hours per week.
There are 52 hours in a year.
This example means he'll pay an additional $78,000 per year under his current model, when the new wage rate is enacted.
I may have dropped a few pennies here and there.

San Francisco will become a ghost town. There will be a very few bistros open that are insanely expensive.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Just fire your employees.  How hard is that?

The article says he has one person at each location all day, so firing employees means going out of business.

His math doesnt work. Not even close to 80K increase. unless they are raising the minimum wage by at least $21 a hour more than the current pay.

5 x 7.50 * 40 * 52 = 78000

He has 5 employees.
He's currently paying them 7.50, and the increase will be another $7.50 per hour.
He pays for 40 hours per week.
There are 52 hours in a year.
This example means he'll pay an additional $78,000 per year under his current model, when the new wage rate is enacted.
I may have dropped a few pennies here and there.

Although all of us at Borderlands support the concept of a living wage in princip[le] and we believe that it’s possible that the new law will be good for San Francisco — Borderlands Books as it exists is not a financially viable business if subject to that minimum wage.  Consequently we will be closing our doors no later than March 31st.

San Francisco will become a ghost town. There will be a very few bistros open that are insanely expensive.

The owner said $80,000 in extra revenue!!
For the sale of argument let us say the comic book store makes a net profit of 20%.
$16,000 out of the $80,000 is left to pay the new wages.

In my business we average 5% profit and a $.01 minimum wage increase cost me $3000 a year.
So if minimum wage in Florida for tipped employees is raised from $5.03 to $7.03 it will cost my company $600,000 in net dollars.
My company would have to have an additional $12,000,000  in revenue to break even with the new minimum wage.
If I knew how to get another $12 million in sales I would have no problem increasing minimum wage.
Link Posted: 5/2/2015 8:29:17 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
The obvious answer is to amend the law so that it applies to everyone except comic book stores.
View Quote

Sorry, only unionized workers get exemptions in democrap occupied areas.
Link Posted: 5/2/2015 9:22:17 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Nope, minimum wage in SF before this new legislation was already $11.05

Historical San Francisco Minimum Wage Rates:
January 1, 2015: $11.05/ hour
2014: $10.74/hour
2013: $10.55/hour
2012: $10.24/hour
2011:  $9.92/hour
2010:  $9.79/hour
2009:  $9.79/hour
2008:  $9.36/hour
2007:  $9.14/hour
2006:  $8.82/hour
2005:  $8.62/hour ($7.75 for nonprofit & small business)
2004:  $8.50/hour (nonprofit & small business exempt)

http://sfgsa.org/index.aspx?page=411

Quoted:

Well spotted! That's pretty different. The cost probably is ~$15K like we worked out earlier.
Link Posted: 5/2/2015 9:32:58 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

80k total for everyone. Although he will actually need to sell a lot more because he has to pay for the inventory to sell that.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

The article says he has one person at each location all day, so firing employees means going out of business.

His math doesnt work. Not even close to 80K increase. unless they are raising the minimum wage by at least $21 a hour more than the current pay.

80k total for everyone. Although he will actually need to sell a lot more because he has to pay for the inventory to sell that.

He only has one employee working at a time. So the amount is the same if it one employee or one thousand employees coving  those ten hours a day.
Link Posted: 5/2/2015 9:34:52 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Which means he likely has several employees at each store.

J-
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

$11.25 to $15 is a raise of $3.75

Each store is open 7x10 so 3650 hours per year. That's $13,687.50 increased cost per store. He has two stores.

It's not $80K. But it's not chump change either.

Some good derp in his comments:

“We’re for a living wage, for a minimum wage, in principle. . . ."
Ok.
“Why,” he asks, “can’t two consenting people make arrangements for less than x dollars per hour?”
So you're not for minimum wage?
“There’s lots of room for the rich and the powerful,” Hibbs observes, “but, really, they’re not doing anything to help small business.”
Ah, so the evil rich corps can pay it but you shouldn't?

Classic liberal brain melt. "Lets give everyone more money. But not mine."

J-

Article says only one per store working at any given time. The labor hours stay the same no matter how many employees you divide it by.
Link Posted: 5/2/2015 9:38:53 AM EDT
[#12]
Aw, the poor widdle wibtards are learning that actions have consequences.
Link Posted: 5/2/2015 9:41:18 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

$11.25 to $15 is a raise of $3.95

Each store is open 7x10 so 3650 hours per year. That's $14,417.50 increased cost per store. He has two stores.

Ok.
“There’s lots of room for the rich and the powerful,” Hibbs observes, “but, really, they’re not doing anything to help small business.”

Classic liberal brain melt. "Lets give everyone more money. But not mine. Other people's. They have lots."
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Each store is open 7x10 so 3650 hours per year. That's $14,417.50 increased cost per store. He has two stores.

Ok.

Classic liberal brain melt. "Lets give everyone more money. But not mine. Other people's. They have lots."

Someone doesn't understand basic business operations. Well it looks like more than one at least.
Link Posted: 5/2/2015 9:47:50 AM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 5/2/2015 9:48:34 AM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 5/2/2015 9:50:51 AM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 5/2/2015 9:57:19 AM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 5/2/2015 9:59:37 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Well spotted! That's pretty different. The cost probably is ~$15K like we worked out earlier.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

he would have to generate atleast 80k in additional revenue not profits, as revenue and profit goes up so does your taxes.

the cost of the raise isn't the only expenditure from additional pay, you also have employer contributions to tax/ss/medicare to cover.

the only way would be to raise profit margins. considering the price is set by the industry the only logical response would be to ask industry to stop setting price, allow for competition

or, fire all employee's and run it as a one man show, its a comic book store not a factory.  I've known art gallery owners that are open during the weekend but closed wed/thurs because sales during those days are too slow.  

these ridiculous minimum wage schemes are very harmful to the overall economy.
Link Posted: 5/2/2015 10:06:57 AM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 5/2/2015 10:09:31 AM EDT
[#20]
This is a good thing.  There will be a LOT of San Franciscans learning a valuable economics lesson in the next 3 years.
Link Posted: 5/2/2015 10:11:23 AM EDT
[#21]
wait, you mean you have to spend real money to pay people?  money doesnt just appear out of thin air?  weird.  stupid fucking liberals.  i hope the store has to close and the dude lives in a cardboard box.
Link Posted: 5/2/2015 10:16:28 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

Because it violated federal law?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Because it violated federal law?

Same shit, different day.
Link Posted: 5/2/2015 10:19:59 AM EDT
[#23]
Anyone want to place bets on who the comic book store owner and his employees vote for next election? Or if they will support another government mandated hike in the minimum wage?

There in lies the problem with all of this. Sure the guy is finally leaning that math can be a bitch and ruin the unicorns and fantasy land he and the rest of his progressive friends (and employees) hide in. But you can bet come next election he'll vote once again for progressive politicians who will once again screw him, as a business owner who claims to believe in capitalism, over again.
Link Posted: 5/2/2015 10:20:31 AM EDT
[#24]
Do what thousands of other business's have done --stop paying your employees hourly and put them on commission-then come up with the number of books they have to sell per shift to make x number of dollars divided by the number of hours per shift and that will be what they have to hit to be making the minimum wage. Make that "sales goal" a basic performance criteria for each employee and when they fail to hit it write them up (get a lot of paper) after three (or 6 or 9 or 15 whatever) write ups fire them for cause and hire someone else. Repeat as necessary.
Link Posted: 5/2/2015 10:34:13 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
comments at the end of the article  are great
View Quote

Buzz Killington's comment was good, I think an Arfcommer wrote it.
*snip*
CA is a cancer to America. It serves no purpose other than to demonstrate what bad ideas look like, and how they actually play out when they're implemented. It just drives me nuts to watch them and people in NY flee their respective states after they've ruined them, and move somewhere else, only to begin complaining and voting to initiate all of the same screw-ups all over again.
*snip*
Link Posted: 5/2/2015 10:34:56 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

$10 for the salary
then figure in fuckups an employee costs you, paperwork from FOC or other wage garnishments,

Have a business that is in an area that is highly competitive or has a product with a fixed retail price...like print.
There isn't any margin on a per product basis, profit comes from volume. And any market had a finite volume or saturation point.

$80k a year is a lot of money for a small business to manufacture from thin fucking air and to absorb.
Shit if the construction business made $80k year in profits...I'd been retired after 10 years.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
There's a lot of misinformation in that article. Minimum wage in SF is already like 11.50. In addition, the $15.00 minimum wage doesn't go into effect for four years from the date that the law was enacted.
If you can afford to give your employee a .75 raise, your business probably wasn't economically viable to begin with.

$10 for the salary

Thank you. Most people don't know this.
Link Posted: 5/2/2015 11:09:39 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
View Quote

[no name calling please - Paul]

1) It's the 4 years from now the business owner is worried about.

2) It's a 30% raise.

3) $80,000 in a comic store which MAYBE makes a 10% profit on the average item means that they need to have an additional $800,000 in product turnover.

4) $15/hr to man a fucking comic store is insane.
Link Posted: 5/2/2015 11:11:15 AM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 5/2/2015 11:21:36 AM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 5/2/2015 11:32:33 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

So he can drop two of them and problem solved. (unless you're the guy getting dropped)

But he says "usually just one employee at each store at a time"

Unless there are five people in each store at the weekends then either the figure or the single-employee statement is erroneous and being used to exaggerate the impact.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

So he can drop two of them and problem solved. (unless you're the guy getting dropped)

But he says "usually just one employee at each store at a time"

Unless there are five people in each store at the weekends then either the figure or the single-employee statement is erroneous and being used to exaggerate the impact.

Keep in mind liberals aren't known for being truthful.

It sounds to me he is whining more about the "rich not helping" than hiking minimum wages.

He is still firmly entrenched in his magic world where people make lots of money yet the price of products remains cheap. Because magic! The main thing keeping this magic world from being real are the evil rich people.

By evil rich people we mean people that actually produce and make stuff. Actors, athletes,  rap stars, and democratic politicians are allowed to be rich because they help the poor. Or something. I actually don't know why. Ideology I think .

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 5/2/2015 11:37:39 AM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

wait, you mean you have to spend real money to pay people?  money doesnt just appear out of thin air?  weird.  stupid fucking liberals.  i hope the store has to close and the dude lives in a cardboard box.
View Quote
No no no.  You forgot: behind every rich greedy capitalist business owner, there's a giant mountain of cash that he refuses to share with the less fortunate.  We just need to have the government MAKE him share it.  
The fun part is that this middle class, hard working, job creating business owner, is going to get to realize that he is the rich greedy capitalist business owner that he was hoping to punish with his vote.

Link Posted: 5/2/2015 11:42:35 AM EDT
[#32]
So some pinko scumbags fucked themselves in the ass when their own social engineering schemes suddenly applied to themselves?

Link Posted: 5/2/2015 11:52:05 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
The fun part is that this middle class, hard working, job creating business owner, is going to get to realize that he is the rich greedy capitalist business owner that he was hoping to punish with his vote.

View Quote

Sadly, he will never come to that realization. They just need to fix the law so that the really rich and greedy ones have to pay his employees that living wage.
Link Posted: 5/2/2015 11:56:22 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
I still wonder what will happen to those that make 15 an hour now,  That being ~4 and change more than they are making now.

Will they get a raise or be min wage employees?
View Quote

They will have a job because they have some sort of skill or other value worth 15 bucks an hour.

The others will be unemployed because if they were worth 15 bucks an hour they would be making it already.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 5/2/2015 12:30:13 PM EDT
[#35]
So not only do artsy urbanite lefties fail at math, they can't comprehend labor burden either, even with a humanities degree
Link Posted: 5/2/2015 12:34:10 PM EDT
[#36]
Clicked on the link, and they look like how I expected comic book store employees to look.

Link Posted: 5/2/2015 12:35:30 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
So not only do artsy urbanite lefties fail at math, they can't comprehend labor burden either, even with a humanities degree
View Quote

Math is for suckers.  It's all about feelings.
Link Posted: 5/2/2015 12:43:58 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

In other words,  "Rules for thee but not for me!!"  Yup.  Passes the libtard snifftest.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
“Despite being a progressive living in San Francisco, I do believe in capitalism. I’d like to have the market solve this problem.” That applies not just to his plight, but to the question of the minimum wage: “We’re for a living wage, for a minimum wage, in principle. . . . But I think any law that doesn’t look at whether people can pay may not be the best way to go.”

In other words,  "Rules for thee but not for me!!"  Yup.  Passes the libtard snifftest.

yup....

followed up with "Why,” he asks, “can’t two consenting people make arrangements for less than x dollars an hour?"

Lol...   okay.   Fine...   reverse auction.   His buddy is willing to work for 10 dollars an hour to make you profitable.   But then when your other buddy says he will do it for 8 dollars an hour...    let us see the inner capitalist money grubbing come out.   Bet he would willingly pay 8 dollars an hour at the drop of a hat for the sake of more profit.

Complete and total useless fool.  Hope he does have to close his doors and bet he will have a hard time finding a job in a market that is filled with laid off people wanting 15 dollars an hour as well.   Dude's quality of life is about to take a huge progressive shit.
Link Posted: 5/2/2015 12:59:10 PM EDT
[#39]
View Quote

Because when people like me suggest that we do exactly, we get called racist oppressive rednecks by fucktards like you
Link Posted: 5/2/2015 1:00:43 PM EDT
[#40]

I don't even want to know what they sell in a San Francisco "comic book" store.

Link Posted: 5/2/2015 2:31:59 PM EDT
[#41]
Its 80k in additional revenue, as in sales. Of the 80k in sales it's not all Profit. He still has to buy books to sell
Link Posted: 5/3/2015 1:53:00 PM EDT
[#42]
Elections has consequences, fuck ass.
Link Posted: 5/4/2015 7:27:57 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

The law doesn't take effect until 2018. Seattle which is a city in Washington state has had a $15 minimum wage already. Since Seattle is not a California city people rarely hear about it but it did happen there already two months ago for larger businesses. Smaller businesses are getting phased in.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:San Francisco will become a ghost town. There will be a very few bistros open that are insanely expensive.

The law doesn't take effect until 2018. Seattle which is a city in Washington state has had a $15 minimum wage already. Since Seattle is not a California city people rarely hear about it but it did happen there already two months ago for larger businesses. Smaller businesses are getting phased in.

No, we haven't.

Small employers (businesses with fewer than 500 employees) will reach a $15 an hour minimum wage in seven years. Also established is a temporary guaranteed minimum compensation responsibility of $15 an hour to be met within the first five years, which can be achived by combining employer-paid health care contributions, consumer-paid tips, and employer-paid wages.

Large employers (businesses with 500 or more employees, either in Seattle or nationally) will reach $15 per hour in three years. The wages of employees who receive health care benefits will reach $15 per hour in four years. - See more at: http://murray.seattle.gov/minimumwage/#sthash.RJ84hgfF.dpuf

There are already businesses closing or stating they will close.
Link Posted: 5/4/2015 7:34:02 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
Its a good read....And a good read to give to people who think minimum wage hikes are a good idea.

Article
View Quote

/pointing/ HA! HA!
Link Posted: 5/4/2015 7:34:40 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

The Owner said:   “I was appalled!” he says. “My jaw dropped. Eighty-thousand a year! I didn’t know that. I thought we were talking a small amount of money, something I could absorb.”

How and the fuck are these liberal dumb asses even in business???  The first time I even heard breath of this suggestion, I had my accountant check to see  what the impact would be to my business.  This guy votes for the people who implemented the policy that will likely kill his business!!  And did so without even checking it first.

I stand by my mantra...  liberals are emotion feeling dumb-asses who never let the facts get in their way.    

View Quote

Link Posted: 5/4/2015 7:37:34 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

Ok.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Ok.

Link Posted: 5/4/2015 7:44:46 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
Aw, the poor widdle wibtards are learning that actions have consequences.
View Quote

no. I don't think that is what is happening. it SHOULD be, but no, not really.
this is just one random incident where a good idea with a good intention impacted one good person in a bad way.
they'll get it right next time. just like with socialism.
Link Posted: 5/4/2015 7:45:27 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

/this

Those guys have until 2018 to find a real job.

I don't live in SF but do live about 40 miles east of LA. The public labor unions have granted so many pay raises that we have to lay off cops, firefighters, and administrators as there's no room in the budget to scrape to pay a cop's benefits and salary. So we're going to get up with fewer cops on the street who are going to be paid more-and-more each year. What could possibly go wrong with that system? Wealthy firefighters making more that $100,000 a year to jog around the streets in the morning and respond to a fire or two a month.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

/this

Those guys have until 2018 to find a real job.

I don't live in SF but do live about 40 miles east of LA. The public labor unions have granted so many pay raises that we have to lay off cops, firefighters, and administrators as there's no room in the budget to scrape to pay a cop's benefits and salary. So we're going to get up with fewer cops on the street who are going to be paid more-and-more each year. What could possibly go wrong with that system? Wealthy firefighters making more that $100,000 a year to jog around the streets in the morning and respond to a fire or two a month.

I'm not arguing if they're overpaid or not, but $100K /yr isn't "wealthy".  It's a nice living, but it isn't "wealthy", especially not in CA
Link Posted: 5/4/2015 7:49:43 PM EDT
[#49]

$12.25 an hour to sell comic books.  Eventually to $15.00 an hour in 2018.

What's he to do?  Move or, go out of business.  Nice job democrats and low-information voters, good job.
Link Posted: 5/4/2015 7:54:18 PM EDT
[#50]
Good read but that damm site kept having pop ups and moving around with different adds.  Makes me think they arnt credible to be honest.  

good read though.  

Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top