Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 10
Link Posted: 9/22/2014 11:10:12 AM EDT
[#1]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
As long as it is not coming out of your wallet, right?
View Quote

It comes out of all of our wallets; the fact is first you said the Marines were incompetent because they did nothing to improve our amphibious (over the beach, assault) capability but when it was pointed out we did in fact spend billions to both increase the current capability and move beyond what we can do no; you changed to you spent too much money.  SO which is it?
Link Posted: 9/22/2014 11:21:41 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

It comes out of all of our wallets; the fact is first you said the Marines were incompetent because they did nothing to improve our amphibious (over the beach, assault) capability but when it was pointed out we did in fact spend billions to both increase the current capability and move beyond what we can do no; you changed to you spent too much money.  SO which is it?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

So which is it? The U.S. Marine Corps spent "billions" or only spent $3 billion over the course of 13 years?

Given that relatively minor level of effort in comparison with other U.S. Marine Corps programs, my point has been made. The U.S. Marine Corps was not really serious about the vehicle that directly supports its core mission.
Also, the fact a person who claims to be a Marine is unconcerned with billions being spend with nothing to show for it is disturbing.

Finally, assuming you get paid out of the treasury more than what you pay into the treasury in the form of federal taxes it does not come out of your wallet. Do not let accounting trickery fool you. You are on the government dole.
Link Posted: 9/22/2014 11:47:06 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

So which is it? The U.S. Marine Corps spent "billions" or only spent $3 billion over the course of 13 years?

Given that relatively minor level of effort in comparison with other U.S. Marine Corps programs, my point has been made. The U.S. Marine Corps was not really serious about the vehicle that directly supports its core mission.
Also, the fact a person who claims to be a Marine is unconcerned with billions being spend with nothing to show for it is disturbing.

Finally, assuming you get paid out of the treasury more than what you pay into the treasury in the form of federal taxes it does not come out of your wallet. Do not let accounting trickery fool you. You are on the government dole.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

It was actually a significant program by Marine standards but small in comparison to other DoD programs or it all other Gov programs.  The 23 year program cost a third more than free government cell does in a year

So your contention now is that military don't actually pay taxes?

Link Posted: 9/22/2014 12:06:55 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
It was actually a significant program by Marine standards but small in comparison to other DoD programs or it all other Gov programs.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
It was actually a significant program by Marine standards but small in comparison to other DoD programs or it all other Gov programs.

MV-22 program cost: $36 billion
H-1 upgrade program cost: >$11 billion (Finding exact costs for this fiasco is difficult.)
CH-53K program cost: $23 billion
F-35B program cost: Almost no way to calculate what the cost of the U.S. Marine Corps requirements have added to this program, but it is safe to say that it will be $34 billion in just acquisition costs for the F-35B.

$104 billion dedicated just so the U.S. Marine Corps can have their own dedicated air force. "Only" $3 billion put towards an amphibious assault vehicle. Three billion dollars with nothing to show for it.

The 23 year program cost a third more than free government cell does in a year

That comparison does not make either expenditure right nor justifiable.

Oh, they go through the pro forma filing of taxes, but when it come down to math, unless you pay more to the federal government than you receive from the federal government, you don not really pay taxes. The federal government just takes back some of the money they give you.
Link Posted: 9/22/2014 12:53:48 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

H-1 upgrade program cost: >$11 billion (Finding exact costs for this fiasco is difficult.)

F-35B program cost: Almost no way to calculate what the cost of the U.S. Marine Corps requirements have added to this program, but it is safe to say that it will be $34 billion in just acquisition costs for the F-35B.

$104 billion dedicated just so the U.S. Marine Corps can have their own dedicated air force. "Only" $3 billion put towards an amphibious assault vehicle. Three billion dollars with nothing to show for it.

Oh, they go through the pro forma filing of taxes, but when it come down to math, unless you pay more to the federal government than you receive from the federal government, you don not really pay taxes. The federal government just takes back some of the money they give you.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Really?

You are faulting the Corps for spending the funds on the stuff they actually use for insertion rather than on more amphib tracks?

Maybe you should talk to the Commandant and explain your superior wisdom to him-I'm sure he'll be all ears.

Nick
Link Posted: 9/22/2014 12:57:44 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Really?
You are faulting the Corps for spending the funds on the stuff they actually use for insertion rather than on more amphib tracks?
Maybe you should talk to the Commandant and explain your superior wisdom to him-I'm sure he'll be all ears.

Nick
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Really?

Nick

Nick, if your point is the US government and DoD suck at program management than the only argument you would get from me is the Marine Corps sucks the least

But that is completely different than initial argument that we put no effort into upgrading amphibious, over the beach capability because we put a shit load of money into it but the technology has matured
Link Posted: 9/22/2014 1:35:44 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Really?

Nick
View Quote

Thank you for making my point about the U.S. Marine Corps being a second land army. In light of the facts, perhaps we should also say second air force.
Link Posted: 9/22/2014 1:41:43 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Thank you for making my point about the U.S. Marine Corps being a second land army. In light of the facts, perhaps we should also say second air force.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Really?

Nick

What is a land army? Other than point of rhetoric; By nature are not armies land combat organizations?
Link Posted: 9/22/2014 1:45:19 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

What is a land army? Other than point of rhetoric; By nature are not armies land combat organizations?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Really?

Nick

More importantly, what is so deficient in the first army or the first air force that we should expend taxpayer money on a second one?
Link Posted: 9/22/2014 1:48:21 PM EDT
[#10]
Ah, yes...... The Sunburn.

I hate that fucking thing.
Link Posted: 9/22/2014 1:56:07 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

More importantly, what is so deficient in the first army or the first air force that we should expend taxpayer money on a second one?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Really?

Nick

Efficiency and ability to conduct expeditionary operations would be major deficiencies; if you think USMC cost too much you should look at the total costs for the other services to conduct combat operations
Link Posted: 9/22/2014 2:22:41 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

View Quote

I will say we don't.

If I pay you 100 dollars, and you give me 20 back, the only thing that happened is I paid you 80 dollars with some kubuki theater introduced unnecessarily.

the idea that all officers, or even most, aren't trying to be good stewards of the taxpayers money is untrue.  Unless we are talking pilots, of course.
Link Posted: 9/22/2014 2:26:33 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Efficiency and ability to conduct expeditionary operations would be major deficiencies; if you think USMC cost too much you should look at the total costs for the other services to conduct combat operations
View Quote

It costs too much for what we get. We get more U.S. Army and more U.S. Air Force at the expense of another military branch and all the associated overhead.
Link Posted: 9/22/2014 2:46:18 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Nick, if your point is the US government and DoD suck at program management than the only argument you would get from me is the Marine Corps sucks the least

But that is completely different than initial argument that we put no effort into upgrading amphibious, over the beach capability because we put a shit load of money into it but the technology has matured
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Really?

Nick

R0N, my statement was a response to shoestring's absurd points, which are really nuggets of wisdom-inhis own mind.

He doesn't seem to get it that you guys very rarely directly assault the beach.

Air assets are critical for how the Corps fights.

This twit would be arguing for the Navy to spend huge sums on BB's instead of airborne assets, because apparently he thinks they should.

He gave his measure in that other thread on airborne surveillance and told all of us it's rather pointless to try to debate him, as all he does is stick his fingers in his (their) ears and yell "nyah, nyah, nyah-I can't hear you!"

My eight year old daughter is better at bringing reasoned arguments than that clown(s).

Nick
Link Posted: 9/22/2014 2:53:24 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

R0N, my statement was a response to shoestring's absurd points, which are really nuggets of wisdom-inhis own mind.
This twit would be arguing for the Navy to spend huge sums on BB's instead of airborne assets, because apparently he thinks they should.
He gave his measure in that other thread on airborne surveillance and told all of us it's rather pointless to try to debate him, as all he does is stick his fingers in his (their) ears and yell "nyah, nyah, nyah-I can't hear you!"
My eight year old daughter is better at bringing reasoned arguments than that clown(s).

Nick
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Really?

Nick

Nick

Nick my apologies
Link Posted: 9/22/2014 3:00:32 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

I will say we don't.

If I pay you 100 dollars, and you give me 20 back, the only thing that happened is I paid you 80 dollars with some kubuki theater introduced unnecessarily.

the idea that all officers, or even most, aren't trying to be good stewards of the taxpayers money is untrue.  Unless we are talking pilots, of course.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I will say we don't.

I wouldn't have a problem if they gave tax free pay not cloud the issue. But as it stands by any definition taxes are collected out the unless you are of course in a war zone

My experience in the Marine Operating forces is significantly different than at HQ or at other services.  In the OPFOR they get very little money and are stingy about it is spent; HQ, MSG and other services not so much
Link Posted: 9/22/2014 3:04:43 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

View Quote

It helps when the Navy manages almost all of your MDAPs
Link Posted: 9/22/2014 3:07:26 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
View Quote

Mr.(?) Nick do not make my arguments for me. In other words, do not attribute words to me. If you would like to know my position on battleships, ask; otherwise, keep silent.

Finally, your personal attacks are not in keeping with this site's code of conduct. Conduct yourself in line with the norms of the group.
Link Posted: 9/22/2014 4:40:03 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Mr.(?) Nick do not make my arguments for me. In other words, do not attribute words to me. If you would like to know my position on battleships, ask; otherwise, keep silent.

Finally, your personal attacks are not in keeping with this site's code of conduct. Conduct yourself in line with the norms of the group.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

You have done nothing but insult everyone that disagrees with you, so shut up on the CoC, lest you get called on it.

Nick
Link Posted: 9/22/2014 4:43:19 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Nick my apologies
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
Really?

Nick

R0N, my statement was a response to shoestring's absurd points, which are really nuggets of wisdom-in his own mind.

Nick

Nick my apologies

Not necessary-quote trees can be a little messed up sometimes around here-carry on, sir (unless you're enlisted-I know enlisted guys don't like that! )

Nick
Link Posted: 9/22/2014 5:03:32 PM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 9/22/2014 5:11:34 PM EDT
[#22]
View Quote

Does the modern packaging of that have still have Dad and son playing Battleship while Mom and daughter are in the kitchen washing dishes?
Link Posted: 9/22/2014 5:22:07 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

You have done nothing but insult everyone that disagrees with you, so shut up on the CoC, lest you get called on it.

Nick
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Nick

I have not insulted anyone. I have not called anyone names. If you believe I have violated the Code of Conduct, do what is right. Personally, I believe doing what is right is not reporting anyone. I have not used the report button even though I have been insulted many times in violation of the Code of Conduct. I believe pointing out those violations so that a person has a chance to learn from and correct their behavior. In that same vein,  I have identified personal shortcomings of several posters and have given suggestions on how to overcome them in the spirit of self-improvement. For instance, reading comprehension seems to be a lost art. People on this board react to what they think I have said, instead of reading what I have actually said. They also make assumptions instead of asking questions. Just as you have done about my stance on battleships.
Link Posted: 9/22/2014 5:22:56 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Given how quickly his other account was called to the pit, I'm surprised no one has made a shoeh8ing thread there yet.
View Quote

What other account would that be?
Link Posted: 9/22/2014 5:35:11 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:
I must have missed the insults?

He's dense, yes, and thoroughly pedantic, but most of the insults are not very creative attempts to discredit him, I think.

Given how quickly his other account was called to the pit, I'm surprised no one has made a shoeh8ing thread there yet.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Nick

He's dense, yes, and thoroughly pedantic, but most of the insults are not very creative attempts to discredit him, I think.

"If you cannot see the obvious then no amount of writing will help you to see the truth." "I am sadden by your lack of critical thinking ability." "I cannot source every news article over the last fifteen years. Perhaps you should pay more attention, pop tart." "If you have the reading comprehension and critical thinking ability to do so. I do not hold out hope." "As the old saying goes, "you can lead a horse to water, but you can't make him drink." I think you will die of thirst." "I cannot put it more plainly." "Perhaps you should use the welfare handout known as the G.I. Bill to learn reading comprehension." "Again, I implore you to use the handout known as the G.I Bill." "You are on the government dole."

These are some of the more egrerious from this very thread-all through, he has been oozing disdain for the guys with tanks, insinuating several times that they are FSA, w/o coming right out and saying it.

Make of it what you will.

Nick

Link Posted: 9/22/2014 5:41:43 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

Is it technically feasible to have drone ships & tenders? Just something large enough to mount a CIWS that could circle larger ships/fleets? Or do you actually need crew to keep the engines running minute-to-minute?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
picket ships.

the question is can we even afford those anymore?

At some point you need mass.

Is it technically feasible to have drone ships & tenders? Just something large enough to mount a CIWS that could circle larger ships/fleets? Or do you actually need crew to keep the engines running minute-to-minute?

That is actually a great idea.  Drone ships should be something well within our current technical capabilities, as well.
Link Posted: 9/22/2014 5:56:14 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
...This twit would be arguing for the Navy to spend huge sums on BB's instead of airborne assets, because apparently he thinks they should...
View Quote

Why BBs instead of air assets, when we could have made BBs into air assets!

Link Posted: 9/22/2014 5:56:33 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ABv03Ru8I8E

but i believe these have been decommissioned on ships. (correct me if i'm wrong)

ETA replaced by LAWS?

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
The U.S. Navy has no anti-ship missile that can match it.

but i believe these have been decommissioned on ships. (correct me if i'm wrong)

ETA replaced by LAWS?

Modern big decks have RAM, CIWS, and ESSM.  That's not taking into account Sea Shield or soft kill capabilities.  
Link Posted: 9/22/2014 6:02:37 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

http://img10.imageshack.us/img10/9469/35439943.jpg

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

...This twit would be arguing for the Navy to spend huge sums on BB's instead of airborne assets, because apparently he thinks they should...

http://img10.imageshack.us/img10/9469/35439943.jpg

Nick

Link Posted: 9/22/2014 6:03:14 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
If you watch the video, two objects hit that ship.
View Quote

Yeah, but he was blind the whole time.
Link Posted: 9/22/2014 6:28:34 PM EDT
[#31]
Link Posted: 9/22/2014 6:31:03 PM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

View Quote

Even if true the Russians do not have any ships that pose a threat and we

have other means to take care of anything else.

Link Posted: 9/22/2014 7:05:13 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

View Quote

The insult is that Shoe has a different opinion than the majority
Link Posted: 9/22/2014 7:05:48 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The Russians aren't the only ones with that missile and better missiles than that.
Link Posted: 9/22/2014 7:10:12 PM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:
The Russians aren't the only ones with that missile and better missiles than that.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

SO what? Let one country hit one of our military ships with one two and we will

destroy them.  

Link Posted: 9/22/2014 7:10:30 PM EDT
[#36]
Best scene in any book I have read was in Red Storm Rising when the Russians fooled the Carrier Strike Group with drones. The oh shit moment when the Tomcats went Winchester was classic. Just great writing. I think those were Sunburn missiles too? Can't remember.
Link Posted: 9/22/2014 7:14:44 PM EDT
[#37]
Why haven't we developed or fielded supersonic anti-ship missiles? I know there was one, the LRASM-B, that was supersonic, but I read where it was cancelled..........

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Link Posted: 9/22/2014 7:14:51 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Best scene in any book I have read was in Red Storm Rising when the Russians fooled the Carrier Strike Group with drones. The oh shit moment when the Tomcats went Winchester was classic. Just great writing. I think those were Sunburn missiles too? Can't remember.
View Quote

Nah - AS-4, a much easier missiles to kill in theory because it stayed high, but the Kitchen has a 1000 Kg warhead, was nuclear capable, and did mach 4.6.  Battlespace compression - yup.  At least it stayed above the radar horizon so Aegis could get some licks in before it died.

Edited to change Kt to Kg
Link Posted: 9/22/2014 7:18:02 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Why haven't we developed or fielded supersonic anti-ship missiles? I know there was one, the LRASM-B, that was supersonic, but I read where it was cancelled..........

View Quote

Because until the last 10-12 years the threat hasn't really merited it.  Even when other navies fielded better missiles, the USN still had tremendous capability via the CVW and SSNs.  The PRC, and that's really the only near peer threat threat although advance ASCM threats have proliferated and given the situation in Syria, even ISIS may have access to Yakhont/Brahmos, has made huge strides in air defense and ASW during the lost decade where the USN was focused almost exclusively on supporting land forces in permissive environments and doing BMD.
Link Posted: 9/22/2014 7:22:34 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
In the pentagon, planner often actually did refer to the guard as the 2nd Land Army because although related to the AC; they are not 100 percent interchangeable
View Quote

In what ways are they not?
Link Posted: 9/22/2014 8:28:16 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I certainly won't argue that they have systems on par with Western stuff, but in terms of 'boom', even a simple Tarantul would make a defanged Burke nervous.
Link Posted: 9/22/2014 8:35:20 PM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:
Because until the last 10-12 years the threat hasn't really merited it.  Even when other navies fielded better missiles, the USN still had tremendous capability via the CVW and SSNs.  The PRC, and that's really the only near peer threat threat although advance ASCM threats have proliferated and given the situation in Syria, even ISIS may have access to Yakhont/Brahmos, has made huge strides in air defense and ASW during the lost decade where the USN was focused almost exclusively on supporting land forces in permissive environments and doing BMD.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

The USN is really the one service we cannot afford to get complacent or under funded. But thankfully, it seems like the tide is turning in that manner.

Plus the new anti missile laser systems could really make it much much harder to attack American vessels with missiles.
Link Posted: 9/22/2014 8:38:38 PM EDT
[#43]
Maybe someday in the near future we will rectify that............I'd love to see some hypersonic weapons with long ranges come into service, when the technology gets there

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Link Posted: 9/22/2014 10:01:31 PM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:
Disdain =/= insults. He's not even close to CoC violations, unlike may of the direct insults hurled at him.

Is he an ass? Sure.

Is it very similar to Dave_A's trolling? Yes.

But who cares?

He's made an argument, right or wrong, and he posts links that he claims backs it up.

Don't agree with him? Explain why he's wrong, other than insulting him. Take the high road.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:
"If you cannot see the obvious then no amount of writing will help you to see the truth." "I am sadden by your lack of critical thinking ability." "I cannot source every news article over the last fifteen years. Perhaps you should pay more attention, pop tart." "If you have the reading comprehension and critical thinking ability to do so. I do not hold out hope." "As the old saying goes, "you can lead a horse to water, but you can't make him drink." I think you will die of thirst." "I cannot put it more plainly." "Perhaps you should use the welfare handout known as the G.I. Bill to learn reading comprehension." "Again, I implore you to use the handout known as the G.I Bill." "You are on the government dole."

These are some of the more egrerious from this very thread-all through, he has been oozing disdain for the guys with tanks, insinuating several times that they are FSA, w/o coming right out and saying it.

Make of it what you will.

Nick

Disdain =/= insults. He's not even close to CoC violations, unlike may of the direct insults hurled at him.

Is he an ass? Sure.

Is it very similar to Dave_A's trolling? Yes.

But who cares?

He's made an argument, right or wrong, and he posts links that he claims backs it up.

Don't agree with him? Explain why he's wrong, other than insulting him. Take the high road.

I will be honest and say I don't have the counterarguments for him.

That said, I will take the word of the guys that actually know what they are talking about (R0N, Sylvan, H46, and lots of others).

BTW, where is dport lately?

Nick

Link Posted: 9/22/2014 10:45:18 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
View Quote

Pity Russia loses every time in every sim. Put the other guy on, he was more entertaining.
Link Posted: 9/22/2014 10:47:16 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
In the pentagon, planner often actually did refer to the guard as the 2nd Land Army because although related to the AC; they are not 100 percent interchangeable

Rapidity of deployability, percentage METs met (DRRS helps hide this), mission sets combatant commanders will assign them to, ability of staffs above BN to operate etc.
Link Posted: 9/22/2014 10:52:17 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Please be of posting yours link of code of conduct.
Link Posted: 9/22/2014 10:54:29 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

I have not insulted anyone. I have not called anyone names. If you believe I have violated the Code of Conduct, do what is right. Personally, I believe doing what is right is not reporting anyone. I have not used the report button even though I have been insulted many times in violation of the Code of Conduct. I believe pointing out those violations so that a person has a chance to learn from and correct their behavior. In that same vein,  I have identified personal shortcomings of several posters and have given suggestions on how to overcome them in the spirit of self-improvement. For instance, reading comprehension seems to be a lost art. People on this board react to what they think I have said, instead of reading what I have actually said. They also make assumptions instead of asking questions. Just as you have done about my stance on battleships.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Nick

International code of conduct includes not shooting down passenger airliners, too, but that wasn't of stopping the komrads for mother Russki, did it.
Link Posted: 9/22/2014 11:21:04 PM EDT
[#49]
Link Posted: 9/22/2014 11:22:23 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

Perhaps not the best analogy in a thread that is discussing the United States Navy.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
International code of conduct includes not shooting down passenger airliners, too, but that wasn't of stopping the komrads for mother Russki, did it.

Perhaps not the best analogy in a thread that is discussing the United States Navy.

Perhaps not equivalent flight profiles either.
Page / 10
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top