Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 10
Link Posted: 9/19/2014 7:18:28 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

You'd sound better if you spelled Mahan correctly.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
[
May I suggest Mahon followed by Corbett...

Sorry my typing from my iPhone offended you. You are correct Alfred Thayer Mahan. A theorist I spent a long time studying and that guy obviously hasn't. The point still stands.

Ead.
Link Posted: 9/19/2014 7:19:16 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

Tell us more,please.

This contract provides the same/similar capability?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Is this comparable to JLENS?

No no no

totally different system.
JLENS is a blimp that does persistent surveillance that the army cancelled because they hate the navy.
PGSS is a blimp that does persistant surveillance but wasn't cancelled so is irrelevent.

Try to keep up and think strategically would ya?

Tell us more,please.

The contract he linked was for a radar that would be part of the sensor package for PGSS.

You are the expert on this stuff, what are the fundamental differences between the two systems

I am a dumb infantryman.  blimp is blimp.
Link Posted: 9/19/2014 7:24:29 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

I do not fail quite as bad as someone who offers advice he/she himself/herself did not take.

Where do retired admirals and generals work? When you can answer that question you have all the pieces you need to see why it is not just Congressmen that benefit from the system.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
That isnt DOD but rather your elected officials.

Nice try. You fail.

I do not fail quite as bad as someone who offers advice he/she himself/herself did not take.

Where do retired admirals and generals work? When you can answer that question you have all the pieces you need to see why it is not just Congressmen that benefit from the system.

So my iphone correction aside. And I do enjoy your tactic of deflection. How about you discuss the two gentlemen. There differences in strategy and their importance to this thread.

Let me guess. You won't. Why. Because what you can learn on Wikipedia won't suffice. Every world leading power thinks strategically. Only the US gets screwed with for doing it. I love these threads.

Ead.

Cheers.
Link Posted: 9/19/2014 7:24:50 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

The contract he linked was for a radar that would be part of the sensor package for PGSS.

You are the expert on this stuff, what are the fundamental differences between the two systems

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Is this comparable to JLENS?

No no no

totally different system.
JLENS is a blimp that does persistent surveillance that the army cancelled because they hate the navy.
PGSS is a blimp that does persistant surveillance but wasn't cancelled so is irrelevent.

Try to keep up and think strategically would ya?

Tell us more,please.

You're the air power expert and former ADA guy whose service let this contract.

No time today to look it up.  Gotta walk over to my meeting so I can sit in the back row for 2 hours.
Link Posted: 9/19/2014 7:25:08 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
That's 2 missiles.  Watch carefully
View Quote

Yep, two hits for sure
Link Posted: 9/19/2014 7:26:30 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
your point is about as sharp as a nerf dart.

If you're going to try to pass yourself off as a SME at least list your credentials, relevant experience and cite ACTUAL sources.  

Otherwise, prepare yourself to being shoe boxed into armchair general quarterly territory.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yes it could. That's why we have a complex language in the first place. That's how anyone is convinced of anything.

Instead you jump straight to "you're too stupid to understand, unlike me". Red flag right there.

I did explain my position, in detail. I even offered news sources for the individual to go read and get educated. However, no amount of writing will educate someone who does not wish to be educated. That is my very plain and obvious point.
your point is about as sharp as a nerf dart.

If you're going to try to pass yourself off as a SME at least list your credentials, relevant experience and cite ACTUAL sources.  

Otherwise, prepare yourself to being shoe boxed into armchair general quarterly territory.

Hell all he really has to do is make a valid argument.  He won't even do that. I enjoy his troll ass. It makes me and everyone I read his stuff too laugh.
Link Posted: 9/19/2014 7:26:50 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Sorry my typing from my iPhone offended you. You are correct Alfred Thayer Mahan. A theorist I spent along time studying and that guy obviously hasn't. The point still stands.

Ead.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
[

Sorry my typing from my iPhone offended you. You are correct Alfred Thayer Mahan. A theorist I spent along time studying and that guy obviously hasn't. The point still stands.

Ead.

Eh.
Corbitt is better.
Mahan was more influential.

Mahan articulated the need for a strong navy.  And in this he was fundamentally correct.  His operational concepts were disproved by Corbitt and certainly in WW2.

The idea is to get the decisive ground combat power where it needs to be and keep the logisitics running is the ultimate objective (or denying it if the defensive antagonist)
Completely destroying the enemy's navy briefs well, and would be an optimal solution, but proves difficult to put into practice without both sides agreeing to the naval schwerpunkt.
As demonstrated there are alternate means to both deliver the power and deny it without one big giant naval battle.
Link Posted: 9/19/2014 7:27:57 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:You're the air power expert and former ADA guy whose service let this contract.

No time today to look it up.  Gotta walk over to my meeting so I can sit in the back row for 2 hours.
View Quote

Yeah, my contractors put me at the head of the table and enjoy it when I quietly turn for "clarification"
Enjoy.
Link Posted: 9/19/2014 7:31:06 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Eh.
Corbitt is better.

Mahan articulated the need for a strong navy.  And in this he was fundamentally correct.  His operational concepts were disproved by Corbitt and certainly in WW2.

The idea is to get the decisive ground combat power where it needs to be and keep the logisitics running is the ultimate objective (or denying it if the defensive antagonist)
Completely destroying the enemy's navy briefs well, and would be an optimal solution, but proves difficult to put into practice without both sides agreeing to the naval schwerpunkt.
As demonstrated there are alternate means to both deliver the power and deny it without one big giant naval battle.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
[

Ead.

Eh.
Corbitt is better.

I really like you.. you you gave him a answer. Let's see how he ties it in to a2ad and congressional maneuvering.

Did I mention I heart this thread.

Link Posted: 9/19/2014 7:34:16 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
He'll all he really has to do is make a valid argument.  He won't even do that. I enjoy his troll ass. It makes me and everyone I read his stuff too laugh.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

snip

He'll all he really has to do is make a valid argument.  He won't even do that. I enjoy his troll ass. It makes me and everyone I read his stuff too laugh.
He totally reminds me of the gavin guy!  

Link Posted: 9/19/2014 7:34:53 AM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 9/19/2014 7:35:39 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Eh.
Corbitt is better.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
[

Ead.

Eh.
Corbitt is better.

There are other benefits to a strong Navy and far-reaching Naval support network, outside of war. The economic and trade benefits are incredible and overlooked.

Access to markets is an obvious example. But the unseen hand involved is that merchants will favor nations that they can trust to protect them.
Link Posted: 9/19/2014 7:37:05 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
There are other benefits to a strong Navy and far-reaching Naval support network, outside of war. The economic and trade benefits are incredible and overlooked.

Access to markets is an obvious example. But the unseen hand involved is that merchants will favor nations that they can trust to protect them.
View Quote

When I said logisitcs I meant more than simply operational support.
Link Posted: 9/19/2014 7:37:43 AM EDT
[#14]
You may have obviously done some reading

And think strategically.

No one is laughing at your post.

ETA: beat again that was for the Texas rifleman
Link Posted: 9/19/2014 7:38:07 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

snip

Good point.  A lot of the ambhibs get used for humanitarian aid pretty often,  While the cost may not reap monetary benefits, doing the right thing is never wrong IMHO and is what sets us apart.

Link Posted: 9/19/2014 7:43:43 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Good point.  A lot of the ambhibs get used for humanitarian aid pretty often,  While the cost may not reap monetary benefits, doing the right thing is never wrong IMHO and is what sets us apart.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
snip

And when a container-ship has a problem... Let's say illness suddenly incapacitates much of the crew or something... Who do you think they want to be nearby... The (Insert US Navy/Coast Guard vessel here), or the RFS Ivan Rapenov?

This is reflected in the daily business of merchants. Given the choice (and they often have choices), they will favor trade routes that keep them near powers they trust, all else being equal.
Link Posted: 9/19/2014 8:19:13 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Yeah, my contractors put me at the head of the table and enjoy it when I quietly turn for "clarification"
Enjoy.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:You're the air power expert and former ADA guy whose service let this contract.

Enjoy.

Problem:  today i am the clarifier. I did get to walk down the Army hallway though, right past their big display board of fixed wing ISR platforms
Link Posted: 9/19/2014 8:38:40 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Problem:  today i am the clarifier. I did get to walk down the Army hallway though, right past their big display board of fixed wing ISR platforms
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Enjoy.

Go walk 4th floor (I think) E wing sometime.  And count the number of missiles and missileers in the 100s of AF paintings.
Link Posted: 9/19/2014 8:43:03 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
The U.S. Navy has no anti-ship missile that can match it.
View Quote

Not even close.
Link Posted: 9/19/2014 8:45:49 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ABv03Ru8I8E

but i believe these have been decommissioned on ships. (correct me if i'm wrong)

ETA replaced by LAWS?

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
The U.S. Navy has no anti-ship missile that can match it.

but i believe these have been decommissioned on ships. (correct me if i'm wrong)

ETA replaced by LAWS?

What he is saying is that we do not have an anti ship missile that can match theirs.
Link Posted: 9/19/2014 9:01:44 AM EDT
[#21]
JLENS wasn't cancelled, it still got 160 MIL this year. What'll happen next FY with funding is anybodies guess. I am a 14A, and know that the JLENS units are being stood up right now...
Link Posted: 9/19/2014 9:05:27 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
JLENS wasn't cancelled, it still got 160 MIL this year. What'll happen next FY with funding is anybodies guess. I am a 14A, and know that the JLENS units are being stood up right now...
View Quote

It was cancelled.
You just don't know.

But maybe you can answer the question what the difference is between JLENs and the other system in this thread.
Link Posted: 9/19/2014 9:29:26 AM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 9/19/2014 9:30:46 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

It didn't offend me. I offered some carefully constructed advice about being taken seriously. I've also read-even studied!-Mahan, and in no way do I claim to be an SME, unlike a ton of former junior enlisted from the motor pool here.

I'm also getting the vibe that many here just like to beat on shoeh8tr without actually trying to refute his points-some of which are pretty out there-but instead do exactly what they accuse him of.

So tell me, oh student of Mahan, what does Mahan tell us that shoeh8tr is directly oppositional to? What does the USN do that is obviously structured on Mahan's theories? Where does it fail by the measure of those same theories?

Now how do Corbett's principles do limited naval warfare interact with the idea of, say, LCS?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
[

Ead.

It didn't offend me. I offered some carefully constructed advice about being taken seriously. I've also read-even studied!-Mahan, and in no way do I claim to be an SME, unlike a ton of former junior enlisted from the motor pool here.

I'm also getting the vibe that many here just like to beat on shoeh8tr without actually trying to refute his points-some of which are pretty out there-but instead do exactly what they accuse him of.

So tell me, oh student of Mahan, what does Mahan tell us that shoeh8tr is directly oppositional to? What does the USN do that is obviously structured on Mahan's theories? Where does it fail by the measure of those same theories?

Now how do Corbett's principles do limited naval warfare interact with the idea of, say, LCS?

It pains me say I have agreed with shoeh8tr on a couple of points.
Link Posted: 9/19/2014 9:31:19 AM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 9/19/2014 9:34:25 AM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 9/19/2014 9:35:14 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Me too, but more importantly, he dares challenge the group think that permeates arfcom's military threads. He may be wrong, but he is trying/should be trying to make the posters in here think about their responses.

And would you spell Corbett correctly for once?
View Quote

My last shop I had an E7 named Corbitt so thats where that comes from.

spelling isn't my fort, you nkow.
Link Posted: 9/19/2014 9:36:42 AM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 9/19/2014 9:41:17 AM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:
Meh, I tussled with Sparky for a good five years. Shoeh8tr is way more interesting/smarter.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

snip

He totally reminds me of the gavin guy!  

Meh, I tussled with Sparky for a good five years. Shoeh8tr is way more interesting/smarter.
If by a clumsy accidental troll looking to get a rise out of people, then yea I'd agree with you.

Link Posted: 9/19/2014 9:42:13 AM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 9/19/2014 9:43:46 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
I think he's more deft than you give him credit for.

Sparky, on the other hand, sucked.
View Quote

Sparky still haunts me...
Link Posted: 9/19/2014 9:47:12 AM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

View Quote
Sparky at least set out a problem and soloution, even if it was retarded, vice just a blanket statement. \

Shoe's got a problem with things and wants to be critical... lets see his "flying gavin" answer.  Not just links to janes and defence journals and telling people to figure it out.

Hell, even I can fix everything with battleships that shoot skyraiders that drop super taco's...

Being critical without offering solutions is just whining.

Link Posted: 9/19/2014 9:48:04 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Sparky at least set out a problem and soloution, even if it was retarded, vice just a blanket statement.

Shoe's got a problem with things and wants to be critical... lets see his "flying gavin" answer.  Not just links to janes and defence journals and telling people to figure it out.

Hell, even I can fix everything with battleships that shoot skyraiders that drop super taco's...

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Sparky at least set out a problem and soloution, even if it was retarded, vice just a blanket statement.

I think he's trolling for intel.
Link Posted: 9/19/2014 9:49:39 AM EDT
[#34]
Link Posted: 9/19/2014 9:49:56 AM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Dudes like that make me wonder how much you can assault someone before it's a felony.

Link Posted: 9/19/2014 9:50:36 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

when shoh8ter has a website with an airborne tab over it, maybe I'll worry about it.

assholes being assholes and disagreeing with people is a business model I am comfortable with.
Link Posted: 9/19/2014 9:51:27 AM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:

Evil Axis Agent Trolling For Delicious Intel? Not a chance. He's not that deft.

View Quote
LOL not that it takes much.  

*primorsky* Russian_____ better than American______ *primorsky*

followed by 50 pages of super technical discussion of strengths and weaknesses...

Link Posted: 9/19/2014 9:51:32 AM EDT
[#38]
Link Posted: 9/19/2014 9:53:02 AM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:

assholes being assholes and disagreeing with people is a business model I am comfortable with.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Bring em back!*  
*Skyraiders that is.... taco's are dumb and not American!

Link Posted: 9/19/2014 9:55:03 AM EDT
[#40]
Link Posted: 9/19/2014 10:01:42 AM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:

snip

Anyone attempting to form a coherent picture of the American military off arfcom would think it's an army of depressed JBT supermen with weapons worthy of the finest scifi that don't work and can only be fielded in numbers less than 3, and are paid for with EBT cards and the tears of the middle class, and were designed in 1952 on a slide ruler that no one knows how to use anymore for stealthily going to downtown Beijing.
View Quote
Ummmm.....

I know you meant that as sarcasm....   but...  

Link Posted: 9/19/2014 10:07:11 AM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:
Yep, two hits for sure
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

That's 2 missiles.  Watch carefully

Yep, two hits for sure

Plus there seems to have be an awful lot of fuel on that derelict. Both strikes seem have been aft yet the whole ship sparked up. Stem to stern.

Link Posted: 9/19/2014 11:25:25 AM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
[

Ead.

I thought shoe might be your troll account given his dislike for F-35, V-22, and hus embrace of USAF missileiers
Link Posted: 9/19/2014 11:28:26 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Most of what passes as "offering solutions" here is just mental masturbation and fantasy.
Link Posted: 9/19/2014 11:37:18 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
View Quote

My understanding is that JLENS production got zeroed out in 12. I think that there is one (maybe two) systems. Not sure if they are developmental or production representative and that one system is/was deployed to DC for LACM defense. I don't do much with or have visibility into Army programs though and if you have additional info re:  JLENS i'd like to hear it. It's a very capable system.
Link Posted: 9/19/2014 11:45:46 AM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:
Most of what passes as "offering solutions" here is just mental masturbation and fantasy.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Yea... I know I double fist that shit...

Link Posted: 9/19/2014 11:50:35 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
I thought shoe might be your troll account given his dislike for F-35, V-22, and hus embrace of USAF missileiers
View Quote

to steal from Abraham Lincoln, if I had a troll account, would I post the shit I do?
Link Posted: 9/19/2014 7:20:39 PM EDT
[#48]
In other news:  YJ-12

According to a 2011 study that appeared in Naval War College Review, the YJ-12 ASCM has a range of 400 kilometers, making it one of the longest-ranged ASCMs ever fielded (and much longer than the 124 kilometer limit of the U.S. Navy Harpoon). Crucially, at 400 kilometers, Chinese attack aircraft will be able to launch the YJ-12 beyond the engagement range of the Navy’s Aegis Combat System and the SM-2 surface-to-air missiles that protect U.S. aircraft carrier strike groups. In the past, when adversary ASCMs were limited to 100 kilometers or less, a carrier strike group had more time to react with its own aircraft and defensive missiles. It also had the option of engaging enemy aircraft before they launched their ASCMs, and more redundancy to cope with such attacks. With its 400 kilometer range, the YJ-12 will greatly erode these previous advantages.
View Quote
Link Posted: 9/19/2014 7:29:56 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

I did explain my position, in detail. I even offered news sources for the individual to go read and get educated. However, no amount of writing will educate someone who does not wish to be educated. That is my very plain and obvious point.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yes it could. That's why we have a complex language in the first place. That's how anyone is convinced of anything.

Instead you jump straight to "you're too stupid to understand, unlike me". Red flag right there.

No you didn't. You offered google, and shit like Janes. Big deal. I asked you to go get specifics, and you didn't. Any credibility you think you have here is non-existent, especially among the vets who are telling you that you're full of shit. It funny that you're STILL trying to convince people you know what the hell you're talking about when it's so painfully obvious you don't.
Link Posted: 9/22/2014 6:31:40 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
So my iphone correction aside. And I do enjoy your tactic of deflection. How about you discuss the two gentlemen. There differences in strategy and their importance to this thread.

Let me guess. You won't. Why. Because what you can learn on Wikipedia won't suffice. Every world leading power thinks strTegically. Only the US gets screwed with for doing it. I love these threads.

Ead.

Cheers.
View Quote

Although, I doubt you have actually read what you claim, I will address your question.

Mahan discussed the importance of overseas territories as coaling stations. Think about how that applies to the ineptitude of the United States Navy. Territories as coaling stations is passé in a world with precision ballistic missiles. Oilers, ammunition ships, repair ships would be much more survivable and just as necessary. What types of ships does the United States Navy lack in sufficient quantity?

Corbett effectively refuted Mahan’s obsession with a decisive naval battle at sea. Yes, decisive naval battles can happen (e.g. Trafalgar, Midway, etc.). However, navies are expensive to build. Thus decisive naval battles will be exceedingly rare compared to smaller scale engagements or no engagements at all, i.e. the fleet in being concept. This again, demonstrates the ineptitude of the United States Navy. Small naval engagements are more likely and the opportunity to bring an adversary’s navy under fire will be fleeting. Logic then would dictate that as many platforms as possible should have the ability to engage the enemy, not just the very expensive and not likely to be risked aircraft carriers or the handful of submarines.  United States Navy armed surface ships outnumber submarines two to one. That means an surface ship is at least twice as likely to be in position to engage an adversary navy’s ship. Yet, the United States Navy has only outfitted approximately half of its surface ships with anti-ship cruise missiles, bringing surface ships and submarines to parity. Matters are worse when you realize the United States Navy is relying on a forty year-old anti-ship cruise missile. A missile that is outranged, is less lethal, and is slower than the missiles of potential adversaries.

If you expect the U.S. Navy submarine force to engage adversary navies at range with Harpoons then you expect them to engage with the same out-dated, outmoded missile, while at the same time giving away their position and surrendering their greatest advantage, stealth. Otherwise, to be lethal, they must close range and engage with a torpedo. That means they cannot effectively cover as much area as a surface ship, and are therefore less likely to bring an adversary’s navy under fire, even with the parity brought by the paucity of anti-ship cruise missile equipped surface ships.
Page / 10
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top