BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 4
Link Posted: 9/22/2014 4:35:03 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
lol over how many more decades?  No way by 2020.

Their economy has a hard time spending 88 billion every year let alone 700 billion.  Remember that 88 billion is going to maintenance, salary, weapon development and other up keep.  Only a very small slice can go to new acquisitions.  Are they going to grow their economy 8 times over night?
View Quote

Probably hoping to fund it with energy sales.
Link Posted: 9/22/2014 4:35:21 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

I suspect any war the killed off a few hundred million people just on one side would not have a clear "winner."
View Quote

I'm inclined to agree with you.  But not every culture thinks the same way we do, especially as far as the value of human life is concerned.
Link Posted: 9/22/2014 4:35:27 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I'm sure it'll be fine, everyone laughed at Romney when he said that Russia was going to be a problem in the future.

Right, guys?  Right?

I voted for Romney, I don't care for Romney, he's just a Republican flip flopping John Kerry, but he was pretty spot on this time.
Link Posted: 9/22/2014 4:36:30 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

I doubt it.   China is more fucked up with command economics than we are and Russia is in a "demographic death spiral."

I'd be more inclined to put money on there being no "superpower" at all in that time frame.  Just "great powers" with regional influence.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
America is going broke and it's sphere of influence is collapsing.

Russia and/or China can prepare to be the next super power for the next 50+ years.

I doubt it.   China is more fucked up with command economics than we are and Russia is in a "demographic death spiral."

I'd be more inclined to put money on there being no "superpower" at all in that time frame.  Just "great powers" with regional influence.

you made a really good post. I would like to add that China's economy is slowing and Russia's government relies heavily on high crude prices, which haven't been high since 2007.That's the reason they want to trade with China out of the USD. Because their currency is crap and it's due to their crappy economic practices.
Link Posted: 9/22/2014 4:38:00 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Yeah right.  Putin is nothing but the rich corrupt figurehead of a bunch of richer, more corrupt Russian criminals that happen to own large companies.

I can easily see about $100 billion in new military hardware and $600 billion in various pockets.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

That would all depend on who's in charge and how much it means to them. With Putin running the show, I wouldn't want to be someone skimming off of the motherland.

Yeah right.  Putin is nothing but the rich corrupt figurehead of a bunch of richer, more corrupt Russian criminals that happen to own large companies.

I can easily see about $100 billion in new military hardware and $600 billion in various pockets.

Putin has more money than he knows what to do with. As much as I don't like the man, he has more patriotism for mother Russia than our current CiC has the the United States.
I've worked with a lot of Russian people, they're a VERY proud people. Putin is comfortable monetarily, he'll now play chess with Obama......meanwhile we'll chase boogeymen around the middle east.....
Link Posted: 9/22/2014 4:38:21 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

You also need to consider military purchasing power.

In the US, DoD has a lot of pull with contractors, obviously, but it's nothing like Putin has within his military/industrial industry.  The Russian cost of acquisition for an identical item would be significantly lower than ours for that reason, among many others.  China's acquisition costs compared to our own is incredibly low.  Something to keep in mind when people say, "But we spent twice that."
View Quote
Something tells me they don't require union labor, they don't have all our labor laws, environmental laws, minority owned business requirements, etc. They don't have to pay their engineers enough to cover student loans and $1000/month health insurance.

I doubt their sdd/procurement is a model of perfection, but they can probably move a lot faster and cheaper than we do.
Link Posted: 9/22/2014 4:39:23 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

I agree but the point I was trying to drive across is Russia's social and economic situation makes a massive military expansion on their part an almost impossible task.
View Quote

I would disagree if you consider their natural resources and the fact that they've allied with China for processing those natural resources
Link Posted: 9/22/2014 4:40:32 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

I agree but the point I was trying to drive across is Russia's social and economic situation makes a massive military expansion on their part an almost impossible task.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
lol over how many more decades?  No way by 2020.

Their economy has a hard time spending 88 billion every year let alone 700 billion.  Remember that 88 billion is going to maintenance, salary, weapon development and other up keep.  Only a very small slice can go to new acquisitions.  Are they going to grow their economy 8 times over night?

People laugh but look what hitler did in a very short time. He even uses the same rhetoric just instead of "german speaking people" Putin says "Russian speaking people"

Hitler didn't have a negative population growth rate, an economy solely dependent on oil/natural gas exports to it's enemies, and a non homogeneous group of people.

Not to mention Hitler created an unsustainable bubble.  The myth of of the German Army at the time is also overstated.  It still had a long way to go, and most of Hitler's early successes can be attributed to luck and malaise on the part of the Allies more than anything else.

We've got malaise by the truckload too.
Link Posted: 9/22/2014 4:41:13 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Something tells me they don't require union labor, they don't have all our labor laws, environmental laws, minority owned business requirements, etc. They don't have to pay their engineers enough to cover student loans and $1000/month health insurance.    

I doubt their sdd/procurement is a model of perfection, but they can probably move a lot faster and cheaper than we do.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

In the US, DoD has a lot of pull with contractors, obviously, but it's nothing like Putin has within his military/industrial industry.  The Russian cost of acquisition for an identical item would be significantly lower than ours for that reason, among many others.  China's acquisition costs compared to our own is incredibly low.  Something to keep in mind when people say, "But we spent twice that."

Hell, Vice News did a documentary of them using North Korean labor in the lumber camps of Siberia.
We get to focused on how things work here and assume that it works the same all over the world.
Link Posted: 9/22/2014 4:41:46 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Putin has more money than he knows what to do with. As much as I don't like the man, he has more patriotism for mother Russia than our current CiC has the the United States.
I've worked with a lot of Russian people, they're a VERY proud people. Putin is comfortable monetarily, he'll now play chess with Obama......meanwhile we'll chase boogeymen around the middle east.....
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

That would all depend on who's in charge and how much it means to them. With Putin running the show, I wouldn't want to be someone skimming off of the motherland.

Where do you guys get this crap.
Link Posted: 9/22/2014 4:42:27 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

I would disagree if you consider their natural resources and the fact that they've allied with China for processing those natural resources
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

They have a weak top heavy economy totally dependent on energy prices.
Link Posted: 9/22/2014 4:42:55 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

I suspect any war the killed off a few hundred million people just on one side would not have a clear "winner."
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

The thing that scares me the most about China isn't so much their capabilities but the fact that they  might very well come to the conclusion in the next 10-20 years that a big war that killed off a few hundred million Chinese might actually be a benefit for China as long as they won in the end.

And utterly incinerated every center of balance in the nation.
Link Posted: 9/22/2014 4:43:30 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Hell, Vice News did a documentary of them using North Korean labor in the lumber camps of Siberia.
We get to focused on how things work here and assume that it works the same all over the world.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

LOL probably like a vacation for those poor Norks.
Link Posted: 9/22/2014 4:44:16 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Regardless, it was cheap labor
Link Posted: 9/22/2014 4:44:45 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

It is like militaryphotos.net level derp lately. I should start a betting pool thread on which ones will be outed as sock puppets...
Link Posted: 9/22/2014 4:44:48 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Um, what "crap" are you referring to?
Link Posted: 9/22/2014 4:46:00 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

We've got malaise by the truckload too.
View Quote

Don't mistake malaise and hyperbole.
Link Posted: 9/22/2014 4:49:49 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Russia's even more corrupt than us.  Expect $200B in never-leaves-development vaporware, $100B in recycled Soviet-era crap and $400B which just disappears.
View Quote

Pretty much... and any cash they sink into boomers and ICBM's is wasted since they can't recoup the development costs with foreign sales.
Link Posted: 9/22/2014 4:51:25 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

Pretty much... and any cash they sink into boomers and ICBM's is wasted since they can't recoup the development costs with foreign sales.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Russia's even more corrupt than us.  Expect $200B in never-leaves-development vaporware, $100B in recycled Soviet-era crap and $400B which just disappears.

They've had enough money to test 6 in the last week and a half. When was the last time we tested an ICBM?
Link Posted: 9/22/2014 4:52:23 PM EDT
[#20]
Yes the Russians are going to pull 5 trillion dollars out of their assets and magically revamp their entire rotting military from the ground up in the next 5 years.

Because Putin is a "strong" leader that is just going to wave his hands and make it happen.  

And you guys just eat it up. LOL

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 9/22/2014 4:54:41 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Yes the Russians are going to pull 5 trillion dollars out of their assets and magically revamp their entire rotting military from the ground up in the next 5 years.

Because Putin is a "strong" leader that is just going to wave his hands and make it happen.  

And you guys just eat it up. LOL

View Quote

In the meantime we've pulled how many trillions out of our ass to chase boogeymen around the middle east and kept how many thousands and thousands sitting on their ass doing nothing?

It isn't like we've been able to afford what we've been spending.
Link Posted: 9/22/2014 4:55:41 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

They've had enough money to test 6 in the last week and a half. When was the last time we tested an ICBM?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

We test a Minuteman 3 every year or two.  A big part of future military expenditures are going to be the Ohio replacement, ICBM replacement and future bomber program.
Link Posted: 9/22/2014 4:59:05 PM EDT
[#23]
Stalin's NEP and 5-year plans come to mind. I guess we'll see if anything comes of it.
Link Posted: 9/22/2014 5:11:33 PM EDT
[#24]
Slav shit.
Link Posted: 9/22/2014 5:24:35 PM EDT
[#25]
The Bolsheviks are no doubt rearming, but that plan seems overly optimistic. There's no way they can achieve it in only 5 years.
Link Posted: 9/22/2014 5:25:36 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
View Quote

Hell, pay me $1B and I will bolt some ERA tiles onto a T-72 for them and call it a "new tank".
Link Posted: 9/22/2014 5:30:52 PM EDT
[#27]

Send in the Krauts.....again.
Link Posted: 9/22/2014 5:48:13 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
The Bolsheviks are no doubt rearming, but that plan seems overly optimistic. There's no way they can achieve it in only 5 years.
View Quote

Russians lie.
Link Posted: 9/22/2014 5:55:48 PM EDT
[#29]
- Added to first post

Putin is also trying to make it possible to cut off the western world from Russian internet. Feels like a cold war move.

Article in English

Another Swedish article. Google translated below

Putin wants to keep the Internet - but only if it is Russian.

The Security Council will discuss the possibility of isolating Russia from international web sites during crises, writes the Moscow Times.

The idea is to isolate the Russian segment of the Internet, RuNet, from the international network. The insulation must be deployed in times of crisis, such as the military threat or larger demonstrations. The proposal is said to be due to the EU's and the USA's "unpredictable behavior".

- We must consider how we can ensure our national security, said the spokesman for the Kremlin, Dmitry Peskov, on Friday, according to the Moscow Times.

According to the newspaper Vedomosti, the Security Council met Vladimir Putin to evaluate RuNets protection against external threats.
"Separate Russian online from free web"

Sources in the IT industry say that the Council deems RuNet as vulnerable facing foreign attacks, and that security must be increased. The most radical proposal to increase safety is to eliminate the Russian network from the free web. According Vedemosti restrictions can be deployed in the spring by 2015.

The proposal is one of many attempts to limit internet usage for Russian citizens and be seen as a step towards creating a controlled Internet under the total control of the authorities.

An earlier bill, which was approved by Russia's lower house, requires mandatory registration for all users of public Wi-Fi networks and blogger with over 3000 readers per day. Bloggers must also, by law, relate to the same rules as for major media and can not be anonymous. Human Rights Watch activist Hug Williamson called the bill "draconian" and "another milestone in Russia's relentless dismantling ytrrandefriheten" writes the BBC.
Social Media and Google may suffer

Under the bill, all the sites that handle information about Russian citizens store them on servers located in Russia - which could mean that sites like Facebook, Twitter, and Google may shut down in September 2016 if they do not follow the requirements.

- They want back the Iron Curtain, with everything written on paper, as in the Soviet Union. It feels like the Duma to lock us into a cell armor to protect us, but without asking if we need it, said Vladimir Kantorovitj, vice-president of a lobbying organization for the Russian tour operators, told AFP in July.

Putin has repeatedly stressed that he is skeptical about the Internet, including by calling it "a CIA project."
View Quote

Link Posted: 9/22/2014 5:57:38 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
I'm sure it'll be fine, everyone laughed at Romney when he said that Russia was going to be a problem in the future.

Right, guys?  Right?

View Quote

Link Posted: 9/22/2014 5:58:42 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Goodbye America

Hello third world nation
View Quote

This  thread has now become a forum to discuss the proper use of the term "Third World".
Link Posted: 9/22/2014 5:59:19 PM EDT
[#32]
Money for the military is even more screwed up in Russia than it is here. A portion of it will just flat be stolen by everyone from Politicians to Generals and shoddy worksmanship also hurts them. (even worse than in the US) so it will not boost them as much as people think that it will.
Link Posted: 9/22/2014 6:02:03 PM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

Money for the military is even more screwed up in Russia than it is here. A portion of it will just flat be stolen by everyone from Politicians to Generals and shoddy worksmanship also hurts them. (even worse than in the US) so it will not boost them as much as people think that it will.
View Quote

this

...so what now.  They're going to have TWO aircraft carriers.  

Have at it.  Russia's entire GDP is just a few billion more then California's.

Link Posted: 9/22/2014 6:03:29 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

View Quote

Those pussies wouldn't make it past their own border.
Link Posted: 9/22/2014 6:08:15 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

Only because we are choosing to.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Russia and/or China can prepare to be the next super power for the next 50+ years.

That's the really sad part. None of this had to happen. Basically we collectively decided that we no longer wanted to be prosperous so we made policies and other decisions to make less prosperous

Then we collectively made policies and decisions to reward our enemies who not only actively attack us, but openly declare their intent to destroy us. We release the ones we capture. We promise not to hurt them if they attack us. And when they attack our allies we empathize that attack and make excuses as to why it wasn't as bad as it seems.

It's like international Stockholm syndrome. I'm trying to think of a historical presidence of some time in history that a world power just gave up and said "enough is enough" "come and get us, we won't fight back"

Link Posted: 9/22/2014 6:12:09 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

I voted for Romney, I don't care for Romney, he's just a Republican flip flopping John Kerry, but he was pretty spot on this time.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Right, guys?  Right?

Romney/Ryan was a lot better than whatever it is we are going to get this time.

Link Posted: 9/22/2014 6:13:45 PM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:
That's the really sad part. None of this had to happen. Basically we collectively decided that we no longer wanted to be prosperous so we made policies and other decisions to make less prosperous

Then we collectively made policies and decisions to reward our enemies who not only actively attack us, but openly declare their intent to destroy us. We release the ones we capture. We promise not to hurt them if they attack us. And when they attack our allies we empathize that attack and make excuses as to why it wasn't as bad as it seems.

It's like international Stockholm syndrome. I'm trying to think of a historical presidence of some time in history that a world power just gave up and said "enough is enough" "come and get us, we won't fight back"

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Please...

USA GDP..........$16.8 trillion

Russia's GDP.....$ 2.0 trillion

California's GDP.$ 1.9 trillion

Russia isn't going to be a world superpower anytime soon.  ....I promise.  Let them run up their debt on defense.  They'll go broke just like the USSR if they stick with it.  

Link Posted: 9/22/2014 6:14:17 PM EDT
[#38]
Maybe that's Dear Leader's strategy?  Have them go bankrupt by overspending on defense.  Oh wait....
Link Posted: 9/22/2014 6:16:02 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

They spent more on adding emission control devices to their tanks than training with them.
Link Posted: 9/22/2014 6:20:40 PM EDT
[#40]
Link Posted: 9/22/2014 6:24:40 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
2020 is 6 years away... hell almost 5 years.

5 years for an entire first world army overhaul including design, acquisitions, and training?
View Quote

Although we aren't on the same level as Russians right now, the USA got up to speed very quickly for WW2. It's not an impossible task.
Link Posted: 9/22/2014 6:28:47 PM EDT
[#42]
It's ok.  We're not worried.  We got Area 51.  I'm not sayin it's aliens but.....
Link Posted: 9/22/2014 6:32:56 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
It's ok.  We're not worried.  We got Area 51.  I'm not sayin it's aliens but.....
View Quote

I'm sure they think that's where the UFOs that visit their missiles come from.
Link Posted: 9/22/2014 6:40:06 PM EDT
[#44]
Why would anyone worry about Russia?
We have a real world leader in, Barrak H. 0bama. Not some "Girly Man" like Putin.
Nothing to worry about!
Link Posted: 9/22/2014 6:46:46 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
View Quote

Won't matter for you Sweden, just relax on your modern IKEA sofa and pay no mind to Russia. In 5 years time you will be overrun by the Muslim refugees you let in

Link Posted: 9/22/2014 6:48:47 PM EDT
[#46]
Didn't we pay to dismantle many of their nukes

I guess they are gearing up for when we go tits up.

If a republican gets in (no chance) he/she can use it as an excuse to run up our debt to fight the evil empire with more military spending
and than we will discover most of it was lies, propaganda.
Link Posted: 9/22/2014 6:57:01 PM EDT
[#47]
Poland stronk
Link Posted: 9/22/2014 6:57:37 PM EDT
[#48]
It worked when we did it to make the Russians go bankrupt. I don't know who would actually enter an arms race against them, not us I would imagine.
Link Posted: 9/22/2014 6:59:54 PM EDT
[#49]
This might be a blessing in disguise. This could be the catalyst that finally forces our government to get off their asses and make some significant investments in our military. Such Russian aggression might also teach the American voter a thing or two. There's a bunch of people who can vote today that have no memory of what life was like during the Cold War. Maybe they need to be reminded. In those days, a weak leader was a one term leader (see Jimmy Carter), if they were elected at all. A resurgent Russian bear just might be the necessary motivator to wake up a segment of the voting population and make them realize that free shit from the government isn't worth much when it instantly reaches 10,000 degrees F and gets lofted into the upper atmosphere.
Link Posted: 9/22/2014 7:01:20 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Maybe because Tridents work and Russia's new Bulava missile is a buggy piece of crap?

Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top