User Panel

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 9/13/2009 4:09:44 PM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

The biggest and most secretive gathering of ships in maritimehistory lies at anchor east of Singapore. Never before photographed, itis bigger than the U.S. and British navies combined but has no crew, nocargo and no destination - and is why your Christmas stocking may be onthe light side this year.

Based on the photos and sattelite imagery, I'm guessing the person who wrote this doesn't quite understand the size of the U.S. Navy.
US Army has more boats than the US Navy, from what I have seen posted here.

In WWII the US army had more.

this is no longer the case.  It hasn't been for decades.

also, the writer says the fleet is close to 500 ships.

I don't thnk we have more than 400 active ships at this point.

So it would appear the author is correct.

We don't.....read up a few posts.

Link Posted: 9/13/2009 4:25:58 PM EDT
[#2]
Is that a real picture or photoshopped? Whoa!!!!!

http://i337.photobucket.com/albums/n399/psyops4fun/awesomephotos07.jpg
Link Posted: 9/13/2009 4:31:28 PM EDT
[#3]
This is the type of stuff I come for for. Interesting.
Link Posted: 9/13/2009 4:34:07 PM EDT
[#4]
Where is GR8WYT?

Dude, we've got us a fleet!  Let's take a couple and cruise around Somalia with an ARFCOM cruise!!!!!
Link Posted: 9/13/2009 4:41:54 PM EDT
[#5]
It's Bush's fault.  
Link Posted: 9/13/2009 4:45:02 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

The biggest and most secretive gathering of ships in maritimehistory lies at anchor east of Singapore. Never before photographed, itis bigger than the U.S. and British navies combined but has no crew, nocargo and no destination - and is why your Christmas stocking may be onthe light side this year.

Based on the photos and sattelite imagery, I'm guessing the person who wrote this doesn't quite understand the size of the U.S. Navy.

No, he's right.

We're under 300 ships.  I think we may actually be under 250 commissioned right now.
Link Posted: 9/13/2009 4:46:36 PM EDT
[#7]
This is going to be worse than Y2K!

Link Posted: 9/13/2009 4:50:46 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Waterworld................

But, but but, the recession is OVER, Obama and his ship of fools said so...................

thats about the only ship that is riding low in the water.
Link Posted: 9/13/2009 4:53:58 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

There are some in the ME doing that... there is NO shortage of oil.The utility of oil makes that a losing affair.  Unlike gold, the market for oil is too dynamic and storage costs too great.  The only oil being stored is bunker fuel.

Afraid I have to disagree:

http://www.cnbc.com/id/32591064

Unsold crude stored in tankers at sea continued to hang over the oil market but had declined since the spring. Norway's Frontline, the world's biggest independent oil tanker shipping group, said it estimated that 40 to 45 very large crude carriers (VLCCs), or around 10 percent of the world fleet, were storing crude oil.

Frontline had told Reuters on Aug. 6 that around 50 VLCCs were being used to store around 100 million barrels of oil, down from a peak of around 60 VLCCs in April.

Link Posted: 9/17/2009 12:36:13 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Group buy for USS ARFCOM

This

/thread

Dibs on being Captain!!!!!

Dibs on being Somali Pirate Exterminator Czar

Dibs on Weaponry Czar.

I'll be the cook.

i just want to be a gunner. give a 20mm Vulcan and i'll be happy again.
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 2:20:03 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Reminds me of the before picture at Bikini Atoll.

I agree, and that would be a Great Solution to the Problem... We can start with Indonesia / Malaysia and go from there.  40 MT canned sunshine anyone.?
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 2:24:08 PM EDT
[#12]
just recycle them all into 5.56.......prices will drop like lead weight from the sky
Link Posted: 9/25/2009 4:25:42 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:
storing oil?

There are some in the ME doing that... there is NO shortage of oil.

I heard that was a myth, there is no ships filled with oil just sitting there with no where to go.

I've seen a few tankers load up and leave, anchor in the middle of nowhere, and sit there for a while.  A fe weeks to a month or two later, they are gone.
Link Posted: 9/25/2009 5:19:47 AM EDT
[#14]
Wow. I never knew their was a commercial mothball.
Link Posted: 9/25/2009 8:34:58 AM EDT
[#15]
They have parked 12% of their ships, but reduced prices by 90%?  I am sure that the remaining 88% aren't used as fully as they once were, but still....
Link Posted: 9/25/2009 8:41:01 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Group buy for USS ARFCOM

This

/thread

Dibs on being Captain!!!!!

Dibs on being Somali Pirate Exterminator Czar

Dibs on Weaponry Czar.

I'll be the cook.

i just want to be a gunner. give a 20mm Vulcan and i'll be happy again.

I guess well need a pie czar.. Sure, I'll do it...
Link Posted: 9/25/2009 8:49:24 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Quoted:

No, he's right.

We're under 300 ships.  I think we may actually be under 250 commissioned right now.

We bob around the 283 mark. The RN, IIRC is about 90 ships and craft.
Link Posted: 9/25/2009 8:51:14 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
nice oil slick it's producing

I don't think that's oil. I think that's CHT.
Link Posted: 9/25/2009 8:54:38 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

No, he's right.

I think I left out the USNS and a couple of other classes...
Link Posted: 9/25/2009 9:27:21 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

No, he's right.

According to the MSC they operate 111 ships, but those also include Army pre-positioned ships, ships that support government organizations other than the Navy.  Of those 111, 41 provide direct support to the Navy.

According to the USN website there are 286 ships in commission right now. Some of them, like the Constitution, FSF, and LCS are doing exactly dick. After crunching the numbers, it looks like the USN website takes into account the USNS ships.

12 CVNs
22 CGs
8 PCs
1 LCS
58 DDGs
10 LHA/LHD
12 LSD
9 LPD
2 LCC
1 FSF
1 LCS
30 FFG
14 SSBN
4 SSGN
53 SSN
8 MCM
Total of 244

Add to that total the 41 Naval Fleet Auxilary Force ships, you get 285. Add the Constitution and you get 286.
Link Posted: 9/25/2009 10:33:44 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

No, he's right.

According to the MSC they operate 111 ships, but those also include Army pre-positioned ships, ships that support government organizations other than the Navy.  Of those 111, 41 provide direct support to the Navy.

According to the USN website there are 286 ships in commission right now. Some of them, like the Constitution, FSF, and LCS are doing exactly dick. After crunching the numbers, it looks like the USN website takes into account the USNS ships.

12 CVNs
22 CGs
8 PCs
1 LCS
58 DDGs
10 LHA/LHD
12 LSD
9 LPD
2 LCC
1 FSF
1 LCS
30 FFG
14 SSBN
4 SSGN
53 SSN
8 MCM
Total of 244

Add to that total the 41 Naval Fleet Auxilary Force ships, you get 285. Add the Constitution and you get 286.

Answers that question!

Where did you find that?  I looked on the USN site and couldn't find it.
Link Posted: 9/25/2009 1:15:48 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

Answers that question!

USN fact file, the MSC website, wikipedia and just some professional knowledge. Wiki and the fact file don't always have the correct number of ships. MSC will list US Army ships as USNS, so you can't just add up all the USNS ships, etc.
Link Posted: 9/25/2009 1:19:29 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Answers that question!

USN fact file, the MSC website, wikipedia and just some professional knowledge. Wiki and the fact file don't always have the correct number of ships. MSC will list US Army ships as USNS, so you can't just add up all the USNS ships, etc.

Yeah, I tried to add it up using Wikipedia, but became obvious there were some issues with that article.  I may go in and edit it to clarify things a bit when I get a chance.
Link Posted: 9/25/2009 1:34:36 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Answers that question!

Yeah, I tried to add it up using Wikipedia, but became obvious there were some issues with that article.  I may go in and edit it to clarify things a bit when I get a chance.

I think the PC numbers are off. IIRC the USCG returned 5 of them this year, so that number should be 13, bringing the total up to 291. Even though I served on one, I don't get bent over those numbers. The PCs weren't meant to be commissioned ships anyway.
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top