User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 3
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 11/29/2015 10:04:37 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

If you have more than two children A minivan pretty much is the only choice. SUV aren't nearly as easy to use as a minivan, and a mini van can do pretty much everything a truck can do to boot.

Go Japanese period.

I drive a van. I have to say I hate it, but it fits the bill for what I need to do at this time in my life.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Minivan=Loss of mancard

Get a SUV instead and retain your mancard

If you have more than two children A minivan pretty much is the only choice. SUV aren't nearly as easy to use as a minivan, and a mini van can do pretty much everything a truck can do to boot.

Go Japanese period.

I drive a van. I have to say I hate it, but it fits the bill for what I need to do at this time in my life.

Yes, it appears that a total of six is a possibility. Our Thanksgiving deal on IVF went well. Due to various complications between my wife and I our pretty much only chance to have kids was IVF. We had one boy with IVF (to talk about odds only 1 of 13 eggs fertilized that time). So we decided to give it another round. This time five worked. So we will be busy in the coming years. We will be giving all of them a chance. Thus, minivan seems to be the ideal choice.
Link Posted: 11/29/2015 10:17:28 PM EDT
[#2]
2009 town and country..... Stowaway seat is the best...I have carried 7 sheets of 1/2 plywood and 2 doz 2x4....  A few times 25 bags of pellets.. Been to dump many times loaded up...
Link Posted: 11/29/2015 10:18:02 PM EDT
[#3]
Honda
Toyota
NIssan

In that order.
Link Posted: 11/29/2015 10:50:41 PM EDT
[#4]
Get the new Honda Pilot.
Link Posted: 11/30/2015 1:47:59 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
The answer you seek is a Honda Pilot.  Tons of room, reliable and a nice vehicle to drive.  3 rows.  

The Honda Odyssey does come with a built in vacuum.  That would be pretty kickass.  
View Quote

I bought a Pilot brand new in 2003.  This was with my first wife... two kids under 4 years old.  We avoided the minivan because of the stigma.  I really did like the Pilot, it gets around in snow like nobody's business.  Took it skiing many times and never, ever avoided going outside due to weather.

However, fast forward a dozen years... New baby, new wife (thank goodness), she needs a car that's better than her Mustang with room for 1) a baby seat and 2) My two boys, the older of which is my height now (6' 5").  We decided on an Odyssey and for most purposes, I like it better than the Pilot.  Easier to get in/out in parking spaces with the sliding doors (kids won't open doors into other cars too), more cargo room (floor is much lower than the Pilot), easier to get in the third row, more comfortable seats in center row.

They are both great, but I wouldn't avoid a minivan because "it's a minivan".
Link Posted: 11/30/2015 1:51:08 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
2009 town and country..... Stowaway seat is the best...I have carried 7 sheets of 1/2 plywood and 2 doz 2x4....  A few times 25 bags of pellets.. Been to dump many times loaded up...
View Quote

My sister has a Dodge Caravan... is that the same model as the T&C? Holy crap what a POS.  So many things have broken... AC has crapped the bed multiple times, leaked inside and ruined the interior, other engine issues, electrical issues, etc.  I have seen more Dodge/Chrysler vans on flatbeds than every other brand combined.
Link Posted: 11/30/2015 2:28:23 AM EDT
[#7]
Toyota Sienna. Has the best long term reliability ratings and is the only used mini-van that Consumer Reports recommends.

The only way I would own a Chrysler product is if it has a Cummins engine in it.
Link Posted: 11/30/2015 2:56:43 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

And they're heavily reliant on fleet sales and incentives to achieve that.

Regardless of industry, the volume leader is pretty much never the best quality product.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:
Honda Odyssey or Toyota Sienna.  Everything else is garbage in comparison.

That must explain the stat a couple years ago- More Dodge Caravans/Town & Country were sold than all the other mini vans put together.

Its the F150 of minivans. I know the import lovers hate it, but its true.

And they're heavily reliant on fleet sales and incentives to achieve that.

Regardless of industry, the volume leader is pretty much never the best quality product.

Pretty much that.  PLUS the Odyssey is made in Alabama and the Sienna is made in Indiana, so......... yeah, imported from America.
Link Posted: 11/30/2015 2:58:33 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
The answer you seek is a Honda Pilot.  Tons of room, reliable and a nice vehicle to drive.  3 rows.  

The Honda Odyssey does come with a built in vacuum.  That would be pretty kickass.  
View Quote

I looked at the Pilot.  That third row of seats was made for toddlers.  It seemed like the seats were about  8 inches off the floor!
Link Posted: 11/30/2015 3:24:59 AM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 11/30/2015 3:29:48 AM EDT
[#11]
Toyota sienna with the SE package
On our 3rd with no complaints
Handles like a sports car
**ETA... Sliding doors = muuuch better accessibility to kids; we took out one of the center captain chairs so theres tons of room to get in and out... and with the jump seat it still seats 7 (6 comfortably); and we have a portable toilet in the trunk (cant do that with an SUV); rear seats fold down when we need to load large items.
Perfect family car when multiple kids and trips are involved...too many benefits to list
Link Posted: 11/30/2015 3:42:31 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Perfect family car when multiple kids and trips are involved...too many benefits to list
View Quote

It's an unsexy truth, but it's the truth.
Link Posted: 11/30/2015 5:57:35 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

The Chrysler has stow and go.

Pull a lever, flip the seat under the floor- and yes it holds sheets.

The most use we get is folding them down and making a bed back there for the drive in.

What a PITA taking seats in and out must be. I sure hope you have someplace to put them where they dont get fucked up. Wow.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
The toyota actually can carry whole sheets if the 2nd row is removed.

The most use we get is folding them down and making a bed back there for the drive in.

What a PITA taking seats in and out must be. I sure hope you have someplace to put them where they dont get fucked up. Wow.

Grew up with minivans in the time before stow and go.
We'd pull the seats and set them in the house, put them back when we were done doing whatever.
With a couple of teenage boys, it wasn't that big of a deal.
I can only imagine what a pain in the ass it would be for me now with only the wife and kid.

My parents have had a Chrysler minivan continuously since '86.
I've ridden in a few with stow and go, I think they're a great idea, but I don't think the seats are as comfortable. It feels like there's less leg room than their used to be, like the seats are closer to the floor than before.
Link Posted: 11/30/2015 6:58:40 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

I looked at the Pilot.  That third row of seats was made for toddlers.  It seemed like the seats were about  8 inches off the floor!
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The Pilot pretty much only exists to sell to people willing to compromise usefulness in order to not have a mini-van. It's a mini-van with a less practical design.

People wrap their whole self worth around an image they portray with their vehicles, and mini-vans aren't "cool" to Americans.
Link Posted: 11/30/2015 7:33:38 AM EDT
[#15]
Get one with sliding doors on both sides, paint it olive drab, then drive everywhere with the sliders open blasting Ride of the Valkyries.
ETA: I saw a 12 passenger Ford 4x4 with a 6.7 Powerstroke a few years ago at the auto show. Too cool.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 11/30/2015 7:44:45 AM EDT
[#16]
The sammich-maker has a 2012 Kia and we have not had nary a issue with it. About 65K on it now.
Link Posted: 11/30/2015 7:47:23 AM EDT
[#17]

One of the ugliest vehicles on the road, even for a mini van.
Link Posted: 11/30/2015 7:57:44 AM EDT
[#18]
If you're mostly hauling 5 people or less, I'd go with a dual cab 4X4 pickup.

If you need a minivan for the extra capacity, be sure to look at the KIAs.  We bought a brand new one several years ago and it was the best bang for the buck.  The one we bought was fully loaded with every available option and came in at about 10k less than a Toyota and several grand less than a Chrysler, Honda, or Nissan.  We sort of wanted the AWD Toyota but didn't want to pay the extra 10k for it and the warranty wasn't that great at the time, IIRC.  

With only FWD, the Sedona we had got around remarkably well.
Link Posted: 11/30/2015 8:03:21 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Toyota Sienna with the V6. With a family it makes life easy.
View Quote

I don't have any illusions about style driving around in a Toyota minivan.  It is a tool, pure and simple and performs family duties beautifully.  If it dropped dead this morning by Friday I'd have another one sitting in the same spot.
Link Posted: 11/30/2015 8:03:23 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
My sister has a Dodge Caravan... is that the same model as the T&C? Holy crap what a POS.  So many things have broken... AC has crapped the bed multiple times, leaked inside and ruined the interior, other engine issues, electrical issues, etc.  I have seen more Dodge/Chrysler vans on flatbeds than every other brand combined.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

In some ways mopars are like kel-tec..... Some are problems some are not.

Almost all new. Vehicles use plastic connectors for heating and ac and are a bain to durability... Now of you want to talk about brakes the 2009 I have has had the calipers changed twice all around and we have only put 60k on it since we bought it in 2011.   My 93 Audi at 260k was still running original calipers.

I only suggested the T&C because of the stow&go seating and all the storage space when the sweats are up is incomparable.... And considering if bought new run it for 3 years get all the kids moving and more self reliant then with as many kids he will need to move up to a special van or suburban.

Link Posted: 11/30/2015 8:08:35 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Minivan=Loss of mancard

Get a SUV instead and retain your mancard
View Quote

When I was working OPFOR in nuclear security, we called minivans "SMAVs", for Soccer Mom Assault Vehicle.

There is nothing more funny than the looks on people's faces, when a SMAV comes to a screeching halt, and over a half dozen dudes with rifles come boiling out of it.

I also may or may not have smuggled equipment and/ or personnel using the stow-n-go compartments. Shit was like the Millennium Falcon.

I also may or may not have sat in the open side door of a minivan and engaged hostiles.

If the rental companies had any idea how some people use their vehicles, they'd shit a brick.

Sienna seemed to have the most get-up-and-go, T&C seemed to have the most stow-n-go space. But it's been a few years.
Link Posted: 11/30/2015 8:18:55 AM EDT
[#22]
Recommending a mini-van is like recommending which knife to use to cut your balls off with.

Won't do it.
Link Posted: 11/30/2015 8:20:18 AM EDT
[#23]
Ops...doing the math... You have one son already and have a possibility of 6 more... That's 9 person family....Nissan nv van 12 person van.
Link Posted: 11/30/2015 8:23:10 AM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Recommending a mini-van is like recommending which knife to use to cut your balls off with.

Won't do it.

View Quote
When what you drive dictates how manly you are.....you already don't have balls....

Link Posted: 11/30/2015 8:29:59 AM EDT
[#25]
I have rented Siennas when I've needed a minivan and they're shockingly good. Comfy,smooth,the 6 has more than enough power.If I didn't have a hot* sweetie and was unable to see my junk when I pee then maybe I would care about the idiotic "man card" but they're so good I'm considering one or perhaps going one size smaller and getting a Mazda 5 with a manual as my next vehicle.

*Alaskan 6.5,good enough.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 11/30/2015 8:31:51 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
The best quote I ever read about minivans

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I like that. My kids will be able to deploy out of that instead of just getting out of it.

Obviously you have yet to realize that the minivan is nothing more than a surface bound Huey.  Slide those doors back, pivot the pigs out and lay down some fire, while the dismounts form a perimeter!

Can't tell you how many times I've used them exactly as described.
Link Posted: 11/30/2015 8:35:17 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
The toyota actually can carry whole sheets if the 2nd row is removed.

LOL I always wondered what the housekeeping of the hotels we stayed at thought when they found all the seats in the closet.
Link Posted: 11/30/2015 8:44:13 AM EDT
[#28]
Bought a Honda when #3 was born 2008 Model-Loved it for the family...when the lease was up-we took it back and bought an $1800 1999 Suburban that lasted us for a few years.  When we found out #5 was on the way, we opted for a later 'Burb (2004) with Captain Chairs center-row.  In July we bought a 2014 E350 12 passenger van-my oldest 2 were getting too big to get in and out of the 'Burb comfortably.  We call our Silver Van, the Millennium Falcon-it's awesome to move our crew around in.  F' the man-card thing.....I know mine works, and have 5 to prove it

(eta: failed to mention my F250 Crew 4x4 7.3 does a nice job for 1 adult and all the kids)
Link Posted: 11/30/2015 9:02:56 AM EDT
[#29]
There's a reason the Odyssey has been the top rated minivan many years in a row.  

Whenever I see someone with a new sienna I figure they didn't do their homework and paid full MSRP.  

The major selling points for the Honda were:
1) dealerships willing to deal.  Paid about 23% less than MSRP for the two new Odysseys I've bought.
2) better handling, zippier throttle.. Test drive some.
3) much larger dash LCD for back up cameras, etc.
4) rear cargo trunk doesn't have the folding seat mechanicals hanging out (WTF is toyota thinking?)
5) you can remove the rear seats and actually have a flat bed for haulling plywood/drywall.  Toyota has protruding mechanicals for the seats sticking up off the floor.  They obviously think "soccer moms" never remove the seats or haul anything.
6) built in chiller compartment in the dash.  Thought that was stupid at first, but is actually handy for when you leave a soda in the car and it gets hot.  
7) fuel mileage.  My '13 used to routinely get 30+ mpg on road trips.  My new '15 so far only got 28.5 mpg at best.  Still pretty good for a van fully loaded with the kids, dog, and camping gear.

AWD doesnt mean anything.  I live in the snowbelt and surprisingly AWD isnt that popular.  The 3-5 days a year where it would be handy arent worth the cost of fuel economy the other 360 days.
Link Posted: 11/30/2015 11:25:06 AM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

When what you drive dictates how manly you are.....you already don't have balls....  
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Won't do it.

Ah.....a minivan owner!
Link Posted: 11/30/2015 11:41:33 AM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

Ah.....a minivan owner!

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Won't do it.

Ah.....a minivan owner!

Yep....and I have 95 range rover lwb lifted with all the manly add ons....81 Porsche 928 and a Toyota highlander as a daily driver.

Link Posted: 11/30/2015 2:05:46 PM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

Yep....and I have 95 range rover lwb lifted with all the manly add ons....81 Porsche 928 and a Toyota highlander as a daily driver.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Won't do it.

Ah.....a minivan owner!

Nice!
Link Posted: 11/30/2015 2:36:57 PM EDT
[#33]
Toyota Sienna is bulletproof.
Saved my stepmothers life when her undiagnosed heart condition led her to roll one. I've loaded a safe, I've loaded a full size fridge.

If you don't mind all the glitches in a Chrysler I have a friend who has two. A/C, Trans, motor, radio, back up cam, all sorts of things are wrong with both of them at different times. 08 and 09 models. Cheap to own, cheap to fix, but fix you must.

I avoid hondas because of the well known transmission problems.

Link Posted: 11/30/2015 10:04:56 PM EDT
[#34]
Pickup truck with kids seats welded to bed
Link Posted: 11/30/2015 11:25:27 PM EDT
[#35]
Toyota has had problems with doors over the years.
Honda has had problems with transmissions.
Dodge/Chrysler has had problems with everything.

Link Posted: 12/1/2015 1:06:05 AM EDT
[#36]
It's funny, 12 years ago I was the one bad mouthing minivans.  Now when others do that I just shake my head.  Once you drive one around, you might change your mind.  I ended up with a rental van while on vacation with the family (Dodge Caravan), and although it's really not the best van out there I was sold on the idea. Poking fun at a family with a minivan is like... poking fun at someone at the ski slopes because they are wearing a jacket.

ETA: Also, regarding transmission issues:

(Complaints to NHTSA per 100K sold)

Link Posted: 12/1/2015 1:35:38 AM EDT
[#37]
That's gonna leave a Mark....
Link Posted: 12/1/2015 1:48:32 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Honda fucked me on an odyssey van, no reach around, no romance just plain old fucked me like the first night in prison. Take your money and set on on goddammned fire before you buy a Honda van or any Honda with their goddamned automatic transmission. They build a shitty product and then when the fucking transmission falls out they only cover it if you toot it to the dealer for EVERY fucking oil change! Only genuine fucking Honda oil and filters put in by the fuckin pothead service man who has to have a long lunch on Friday to see his fucking probation officer. Hell no they don't care if you documented all the service yourself and used Mobil 1 synthetic and Bosch filters and Mobil 1 transmission fluid at 50k miles, you are not qualified to do this like Alex "I made special brownies" the service monkey! Fuck Honda North America Fuck the salesman who talked us into the piece of shit! Fuck Honda certified pre-owned! Fuck anyone who builds a shitty product and won't stand behind it! Fuck their weaksauced, under lubricated 3rd gear shaft and overheating transmissions! Fuck fuckffuck a Honda minivan. Nissan is what I would go with if you have to get a goddamned minivan. Had a suburban before and an expedition after, the gas mileage was about the same for all of them. I'd go with an SUV. Minivans often run the same transmission as the company's leading sedan nut have a lot more weight and passengers and just don't fucking hold up but goddamn a Honda! Get something truck based or you're pissing money down the drain!
View Quote

Holy run on paragraph, batman.
Out of curiosity, is this an example of your conversations with the service managers?

If not.....
Picking a dealer is as important as picking a vehicle.

I've only run across a single Honda dealer that pissed me off, and I didn't buy from them.
Do your research, reviews are out there.
Sold our Odyssey at 158K trouble free miles due to my wife having a 100 mile daily commute, and wanting another car.
Link Posted: 12/1/2015 1:51:11 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I like that. My kids will be able to deploy out of that instead of just getting out of it.

Obviously you have yet to realize that the minivan is nothing more than a surface bound Huey.  Slide those doors back, pivot the pigs out and lay down some fire, while the dismounts form a perimeter!

Agree, a Mini van is the perfect sleeper assault vehicle.  AS i drive it more, i like it more. Very comfortable all around unit. AND.... there's more storage / hiding places than i've ever seen on a "revoked man card" vehicle. The arm rest hold a S&W snubby perfectly.

Link Posted: 12/1/2015 1:53:33 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

The J series (what's in the odyssey) are also chain driven.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
If you see a lot of snow in your area, the Sienna is the only one with available AWD and about 1.5 inches more ground clearance than the Odyssey. It also has a timing chain so no belt to change at 90k.

This,
Honda lost a sale not having AWD, we went Explorer instead. The Honda nameplate was the only thing that was going to get her into a bimbo box. And I wanted all wheel drive.

The J series (what's in the odyssey) are also chain driven.

Is this recent?

Our 2011 had a belt that got changed at 115K.
Link Posted: 12/1/2015 1:56:34 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

That must explain the stat a couple years ago- More Dodge Caravans/Town & Country were sold than all the other mini vans put together.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:
Honda Odyssey or Toyota Sienna.  Everything else is garbage in comparison.

My Odyssey was built about an hours drive from my house, with 75%+ US and Canadian parts, by American workers, in an American plant.

T&C plant is located in Ontario.

Please elaborate on "import".
Link Posted: 12/1/2015 2:18:35 AM EDT
[#42]
I know it's technically not a "mini" van but I'd look at a Ford Transit with the V6 EcoBoost. Suprisingly fast, huge capacity, and tons of options. I'm considering getting one to carry dirt bikes and mountain bikes. Once I'm at the trail I'll just sleep inside. They're awesome!

Link Posted: 12/2/2015 2:36:16 AM EDT
[#43]
I'm getting close to this decision point as well.....
#2 on the way with two large dogs. And the spousal unit wants to have more space to tote the grandparents around when they fly into town.

Was origionally looking at 3rd row SUV mostly Highlander and Pilots. The 2016 pilots improve on the 3rd row space but its certainly tight especially if any cargo is to be carried behind the 3rd row. The Highlander's 3rd row could fit midgets... maybe. Otherwise both nice vehicles that handle well, and have the option for AWD.

Looked at minivan's . Dodge/chrysler cheap purchase option. Stow and go while innovative were horrid seats.
Toyota Sienna Nice powertrain interior well they phoned it in. Only3 carseat tethers in a 7/8 passenger minivan (FAIL) Jumpseat in the 8 seat models is cool but isn't functional. Cant hold a carseat and certainly not an adult. Exposed rails in floor for seats meh.
AWD availability was nice until i realized that in order to get the drive train in a minivan you had to nix the spare tire entirely, which means horrid expensive, short lifespan runflats. not interested.

Honda Odyssey Better interior of the 3. Car seat tether and latch in all the rear seats. non exposed seat rails and can move the 2nd row more outboard or closer togetehr. 3rd row folding was the easiest to accomplish. Powertrain was fine drove much like an accord. Best EPA MPG.  Not perfect. No AWD option  would probably buy a 2nd set of snows then get raped in order to set up a 2nd set of wheels with stupid honda TPMS.  2 screen infotainment is less than stellar. But lots of room in a very functional box.

Kinda down to a new Pilot or Odyssey. It ends up being a 4-6k price premium for a pilot of comparable trim if you get AWD and you lose some cargo space and a lot of the functionality of the 3rd  row compared to the Odyssey.
Link Posted: 12/2/2015 2:54:22 AM EDT
[#44]
Want the best at any price?  Honda all the way.
Best value for new?  Kia.
Best total cost of ownership? Used 1-2 year old Dodge.

The Honda will cost you $$ up front, and you will need to budget for maintenance on the Dodge.
Link Posted: 12/2/2015 2:55:21 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
#2 on the way with two large dogs. And the spousal unit wants to have more space to tote the grandparents around when they fly into town.

Was origionally looking at 3rd row SUV mostly Highlander and Pilots. The 2016 pilots improve on the 3rd row space but its certainly tight especially if any cargo is to be carried behind the 3rd row. The Highlander's 3rd row could fit midgets... maybe. Otherwise both nice vehicles that handle well, and have the option for AWD.

Looked at minivan's . Dodge/chrysler cheap purchase option. Stow and go while innovative were horrid seats.
Toyota Sienna Nice powertrain interior well they phoned it in. Only3 carseat tethers in a 7/8 passenger minivan (FAIL) Jumpseat in the 8 seat models is cool but isn't functional. Cant hold a carseat and certainly not an adult. Exposed rails in floor for seats meh.
AWD availability was nice until i realized that in order to get the drive train in a minivan you had to nix the spare tire entirely, which means horrid expensive, short lifespan runflats. not interested.

Honda Odyssey Better interior of the 3. Car seat tether and latch in all the rear seats. non exposed seat rails and can move the 2nd row more outboard or closer togetehr. 3rd row folding was the easiest to accomplish. Powertrain was fine drove much like an accord. Best EPA MPG.  Not perfect. No AWD option  would probably buy a 2nd set of snows then get raped in order to set up a 2nd set of wheels with stupid honda TPMS.  2 screen infotainment is less than stellar. But lots of room in a very functional box.

Kinda down to a new Pilot or Odyssey. It ends up being a 4-6k price premium for a pilot of comparable trim if you get AWD and you lose some cargo space and a lot of the functionality of the 3rd  row compared to the Odyssey.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

I'd take the Odyssey over the Pilot any day.   The seating is much more comfortable and you can haul more stuff inside than the Pilot if you want / need to.  It's not that the Pilot is bad, it's that the Odyssey is mo' betta'.  Like tBohr_Adam said,
The Pilot pretty much only exists to sell to people willing to compromise usefulness in order to not have a mini-van. It's a mini-van with a less practical design.

Link Posted: 12/2/2015 2:59:48 AM EDT
[#46]
We've owned two Mazda 5 vehicles.

They're inexpensive, roomy, and they handle like cars.

We even got both with manual transmissions.
Link Posted: 12/2/2015 3:31:30 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

I think once more of the kids come along and are slightly old enough I will have to practice this with them! LOL
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I think once more of the kids come along and are slightly old enough I will have to practice this with them! LOL

My kids love it.  We keep the seat on the passenger side down.  We pull up to the school drop off lane and I tell them grab their gear and stack up.  We hit the drop off zone and they push the automatic door opener.  As it's sliding open I yell. Go! Go! Go!  First one goes forward. Second straight out, with the third going to the rear. They like to pretend they are stormtroopers from the clone wars cartoon series.  We had Motorhead's Born to Raise Hell on one time.  

2011 Dodge Grand Caravan with about 140000 on it.  Switches on the driver door are dying.  Had to replace power steering rack and pinion when we first got it.
Link Posted: 12/2/2015 10:27:27 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
I know it's technically not a "mini" van but I'd look at a Ford Transit with the V6 EcoBoost. Suprisingly fast, huge capacity, and tons of options. I'm considering getting one to carry dirt bikes and mountain bikes. Once I'm at the trail I'll just sleep inside. They're awesome!

https://i.ytimg.com/vi/ZMRgkqVklFs/maxresdefault.jpg
View Quote

Now that's a MAV.
Link Posted: 12/2/2015 10:39:00 AM EDT
[#49]
We are on our second Odyssey.

We usually buy 3 to 5 years old with 50k to 80k from the local Honda dealer.

They are rock solid and essentially disposable. My kids destroy the interiors. No real reason to buy anything too nice at this point with three little minions who break anything they come in contact with.

As they get a bit older, we may graduate to something nicer, but this works. Wife (no pics) never really leaves her 10 square mile bubble and we don't take too many roadtrips every year.
Page / 3
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top