Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 16
Link Posted: 7/17/2013 11:05:16 AM EDT
[#1]
You'd think they'd at least allow them to go back two deep.
Link Posted: 7/17/2013 11:05:19 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

It is acceptable. The key is the default load for the system, not a limiting factor. So you can create a nested quote tree or sub quotes to your heart's content. I tried to clean up some of the code fragments too which cause DIVs to be stuck and screw things up. Quoting should be clean, quick, and easy now.
View Quote

YAY! Those divs were annoying.

A default of 2 or 3 quotes should be acceptable, as that should be plenty to give context.
Link Posted: 7/17/2013 11:05:45 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

Thanks a bunch for this.
As an aside that's how I'm described on Angie's List.
View Quote

Link Posted: 7/17/2013 11:05:59 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

If you need a massive quote tree to know the context of the quote, you are not reading the thread
View Quote

Most people here don't (or can't, I'm not sure sometimes) actually read threads.

Link Posted: 7/17/2013 11:05:59 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
I'm open to ideas.

What I did for now is add that little button next to the quote, which jumps to the quoted thread and so on down the road. This way you can follow it until you grow tired, or have seen the entire quote tree exchange.

If this isn't enough, I thought of potentially recreating the "sub thread" as a popup div that creates a linear post history revolving around that quote tree. The only issue there is you can follow one branch at a time. Still, this may be a cool way to jump into a thread that has 4-5 conversations going on and follow each one on their own.
View Quote

I think 3 maximum quotes will be better than 1. This way you can keep track of things easier.
Link Posted: 7/17/2013 11:06:30 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

View Quote

well?
Link Posted: 7/17/2013 11:07:17 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
I'm open to ideas.

What I did for now is add that little button next to the quote, which jumps to the quoted thread and so on down the road. This way you can follow it until you grow tired, or have seen the entire quote tree exchange.

If this isn't enough, I thought of potentially recreating the "sub thread" as a popup div that creates a linear post history revolving around that quote tree. The only issue there is you can follow one branch at a time. Still, this may be a cool way to jump into a thread that has 4-5 conversations going on and follow each one on their own.
View Quote

The only desirement I'd have on the matter is for older quotes to just be hidden like the spoiler tag.  While it wouldn't save bandwidth it would keep the thread more readable and still give the option to see the context.
Link Posted: 7/17/2013 11:07:36 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
I'm open to ideas.

View Quote

Can I just say, this will really suck if you get sent back to a page with a lot of pictures. You'll load in to the right spot, then the pictures start to load, then you're god knows where. I would much prefer the quotes after the two or three newest ones to be collapsed like a spoiler. Then the context is there, you don't lose your place in the thread (like you do now which is a major pain in the ass), and a lot of time those "sub conversations" are somewhat related so it's nice to see them in the context of the thread as a whole.
Link Posted: 7/17/2013 11:07:37 AM EDT
[#9]
I don't like it.
Link Posted: 7/17/2013 11:07:42 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
hmmm
View Quote

Dang.  I thought I cracked the code.  
Link Posted: 7/17/2013 11:08:22 AM EDT
[#11]
Look fellas, if it saves just one tree, we have the obligation to at least try.
Link Posted: 7/17/2013 11:08:25 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
I think we need four levels before requiring the jump, otherwise you lose the relevant context.

OTOH, I guess they're not hard to build manually, if that's going to be deemed acceptable use.
View Quote

Yes it is err difficult.  
Link Posted: 7/17/2013 11:09:37 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
The context of a thread is the entire thread, not some massive quote tree.  If you need a massive quote tree to know the context of the quote, you are not reading the thread, and are still missing out on most of the context.

If you need more context, just click the black box with white arrow next to the quote name, it will take you to the quoted post.
View Quote

except in the last quote tree thread. Where mods and staff lost the context of something that was said less than two posts ago and took off on a tangent.
Link Posted: 7/17/2013 11:09:44 AM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 7/17/2013 11:11:56 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
That is what "Link to this post" is for.

View Quote

how does that do anything but give you your current place in the thread?
Link Posted: 7/17/2013 11:11:58 AM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 7/17/2013 11:13:48 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
hmmm
View Quote

test
Link Posted: 7/17/2013 11:14:20 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
I'm open to ideas.

View Quote

Ideas?

OK

A while ago when I would reply to a thread, the page would load fine, and I would see my post. I would scroll down to see other posts. Then I would refresh, and I would see the new posts.

Now, when I refresh after scrolling down, it would take me back up the page to my post. This is quite irritating. Also, if I had quoted someone, or hit reply without being at the bottom of the page, when I would refresh after posting, it would take my back to where I hit the "post" or "quote" button at.

The only way to remedy this is to re-enter the thread from another page. After doing this, the page will refresh and go to where I had scrolled to.

Another idea: instead of limiting a tree to 1 quote, let it go back to 2 or 3 max. Or even better, perhaps set an option on our profile page where we can set how many quotes deep to see.
Link Posted: 7/17/2013 11:14:51 AM EDT
[#19]

Tree or beanstalk?  Jack dropped a bean.   (I'll edit this out in about 5min)

EDITED BY DYEZAK - to remove quote tree.  Sorry Staff!
Link Posted: 7/17/2013 11:16:51 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

yup its working
View Quote

worked.
Link Posted: 7/17/2013 11:17:37 AM EDT
[#21]
If it could be set to allow two quotes rather than one by default, I think that would be better.

Two is often required for context, but more than that only rarely.
Link Posted: 7/17/2013 11:18:03 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

View Quote

Looks like ur right.
Link Posted: 7/17/2013 11:18:49 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
I'm open to ideas.

View Quote

I'd rather just be allowed three quotes.    It sounds easier.

The "sub thread" sounds more like what DU has, and that's the worst forum to navigate that I've ever tried to read.
Link Posted: 7/17/2013 11:18:54 AM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Tree or beanstalk?  Jack dropped a bean.   (I'll edit this out in about 5min)
View Quote

Haha.  There's always at least one!

Link Posted: 7/17/2013 11:19:02 AM EDT
[#25]
This is confusing

Should be maxed to 2 or 3 quotes
Link Posted: 7/17/2013 11:19:28 AM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 7/17/2013 11:19:51 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Ideas?

OK

A while ago when I would reply to a thread, the page would load fine, and I would see my post. I would scroll down to see other posts. Then I would refresh, and I would see the new posts.

Now, when I refresh after scrolling down, it would take me back up the page to my post. This is quite irritating. Also, if I had quoted someone, or hit reply without being at the bottom of the page, when I would refresh after posting, it would take my back to where I hit the "post" or "quote" button at.

The only way to remedy this is to re-enter the thread from another page. After doing this, the page will refresh and go to where I had scrolled to.

Another idea: instead of limiting a tree to 1 quote, let it go back to 2 or 3 max. Or even better, perhaps set an option on our profile page where we can set how many quotes deep to see.
View Quote

I like this idea, a lot of times I want to see the last 2 or 3 but not the last 20.

ETA: Also, I can't see John87 quoted GoatBoy so if I jumped a page or 2, I would have to scroll back to find out what John87 was referring to (assuming I was not the one to quote him)
Link Posted: 7/17/2013 11:19:52 AM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 7/17/2013 11:20:47 AM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 7/17/2013 11:21:15 AM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

View Quote

This is due to some bugginess in the anchor tags.  It doesn't always happen.  When it does, just bang on the "clear bookmark" button which will take you back to the top of the page but then once you scroll down future refreshes will occur from your current screen position.

Or delete the # and everything to the right of it in your address bar and press enter.

Link Posted: 7/17/2013 11:23:56 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
People can link to a specific post if there is an issue.

I normally backtrack through a thread even if I find an issue mid way. This way I have the context (even if the quote trees still existed) of why something began, and how it came to be. Lack of quote trees won't change how I deal with that kind of thing.

If Aimless goes crazy, that's just expected.

View Quote

they could at least make the button bigger. It's like they don't want anybody to know what's going on.
Link Posted: 7/17/2013 11:24:08 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
This is due to some bugginess in the anchor tags. It doesn't always happen.  When it does, just bang on the "clear bookmark" button which will take you back to the top of the page but then once you scroll down future refreshes will occur from your current screen position.

Or delete the # and everything to the right of it in your address bar and press enter.

View Quote

When it started for me a few months ago it hasn't stopped since.
Link Posted: 7/17/2013 11:25:22 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Change on Arfcom = Bad!  
View Quote

You say that like it's new
Link Posted: 7/17/2013 11:25:47 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
You say that like it's new
View Quote

Why yes, my shoes are new. Thank you for noticing.
Link Posted: 7/17/2013 11:25:56 AM EDT
[#35]
Never mind

Monk
Link Posted: 7/17/2013 11:26:26 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
View Quote

You can also go to the address for the page and remove all the stuff after "page=#", then go to that new address.  That's what I've been doing.  Takes you to the top of the page though.  
Link Posted: 7/17/2013 11:27:22 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Think there should be 2 or 3 quote limit

One isnt enough [/quote
Agreed
Link Posted: 7/17/2013 11:27:40 AM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:

Ok but for short jumps the, 2-3 deep, all you have to do is click the little icon and jump up and see the quote, jump again if 3 does it for you. That's the reason I put that there. I figured a single quote is nice, but not always going to get the job done. 2-3 is typical so a quick way to jump is nice.

My concern is the longer ones, which is why I proposed a subthread option to let you read through an entire quote path from start to finish in it's own space, while you are reading the thread.
View Quote

After you jump back with the little black button you're stuck there. If the quote was from 3 pages earlier, then one has to ascertain what page they are now on and try to find their way back to where they were when they wanted to post.

A return button would work, however, it would only allow the current poster to read the previous context they are investigating...and not anyone else...unless they too track back the context.

I think 4 prior quotes would allow context to be 'carried over' without keeping everyone reading the thread from having to jump around by using the little black buttons.

YMMV
Link Posted: 7/17/2013 11:27:41 AM EDT
[#39]
Link Posted: 7/17/2013 11:27:48 AM EDT
[#40]
Quote trees and cleavage. Serious fuckin business.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 7/17/2013 11:29:00 AM EDT
[#41]
Nope, don't like it at all.

Link Posted: 7/17/2013 11:29:03 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
View Quote

Have you gone to a doctor to get this checked out
Link Posted: 7/17/2013 11:29:06 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
Quote trees and cleavage. Serious fuckin business.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
View Quote

Both have caused the site to be more difficult to use than it should be for too many people.

Also, bandwidth.
Link Posted: 7/17/2013 11:29:20 AM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:

Looks like he did
View Quote

Link Posted: 7/17/2013 11:29:21 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
After you jump back with the little black button you're stuck there. If the quote was from 3 pages earlier, then one has to ascertain what page they are now on and try to find their way back to where they were when they wanted to post.

A return button would work, however, it would only allow the current poster to read the previous context they are investigating...and not anyone else...unless they too track back the context.

I think 4 prior quotes would allow context to be 'carried over' without keeping everyone reading the thread from having to jump around by using the little black buttons.

YMMV
View Quote

agreed
Link Posted: 7/17/2013 11:30:47 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

View Quote

Did what?
Link Posted: 7/17/2013 11:30:56 AM EDT
[#47]
Link Posted: 7/17/2013 11:31:14 AM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:

Both have caused the site to be more difficult to use than it should be for too many people.

Also, bandwidth.
View Quote

Both what?
Link Posted: 7/17/2013 11:32:36 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
View Quote

Boo what man?  What?  Context?  Huh?
Link Posted: 7/17/2013 11:33:32 AM EDT
[#50]
Kill the trees, but at least leave us some shrubs.

3 quote max.

Page / 16
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top