Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 7/24/2014 2:51:21 AM EDT
[#1]
If you (or a land owner) have a kill permit (damage tag) you can spotlight deer on the private property the tags were issued and kill them with anything you want. In fact it's the only time .223 is legal to kill deer with.

A local vineyard built a 25' tower complete with spotlight in the middle of the vineyard and allowed folks they approved to kill deer raiding the grapes. He would call when the grapes started to ripen and let me know what kind of deer I could kill and when to show-up.

Some years it was either sex and sometimes just does depending on the tags issued.

It was weird, the deer would not hit the grapes till they were ripe and as the owner knew which variety was becoming ripe he would let me know. Sure enough the deer would head right for that particular section.
Link Posted: 7/24/2014 3:16:50 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Is there any state in which the act of spotlighting game animals (such as deer) while in possession of a firearm is not an offense?
View Quote

Legal for night fishing here.
Link Posted: 7/24/2014 3:26:13 AM EDT
[#3]
Ive legally spotlighted plenty of kangaroos on private land..
Link Posted: 7/24/2014 4:52:07 AM EDT
[#4]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I was with a party up near Bogota, Texas one time and we did inform the game warden earlier that afternoon.   Told him exactly where we'd be.

I stayed behind and slept off a drunk but everyone else that went got guns pointed at them and their stuff confiscated for a few months along with a big fat fine.

The dirt road we thought was a private road on the property owner's land (whose permission we had) was actually a county road.  Dickhead GW knew the exact spot we were talking about, knew it was a CR when we described it, and used it as an opportunity to fuck with people when they only informed him as a "courtesy" as the handbook says you should.

So no, I don't personally recommend telling the GWs anything ahead of time.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

If you are hunting non game animals at night, it is a good thing to inform the game wardens before hand, just so they know.  Honest hunters do it and the warden usually doesn't lift a finger.  But when you don't, they will ream you.  Better have your ducks in a row.

I have never heard of anyone doing that. Nor would I care what a game warden thought of me varmint hunting at night.

I was with a party up near Bogota, Texas one time and we did inform the game warden earlier that afternoon.   Told him exactly where we'd be.

I stayed behind and slept off a drunk but everyone else that went got guns pointed at them and their stuff confiscated for a few months along with a big fat fine.

The dirt road we thought was a private road on the property owner's land (whose permission we had) was actually a county road.  Dickhead GW knew the exact spot we were talking about, knew it was a CR when we described it, and used it as an opportunity to fuck with people when they only informed him as a "courtesy" as the handbook says you should.

So no, I don't personally recommend telling the GWs anything ahead of time.

What a dick!

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top