Page / 5
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 10/26/2014 8:28:41 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Fuckit
I dot care anymre
Put everyone inb a 5 poiht racinbg harbess abd let everyone go all marioakart and shit.
View Quote

every post I see of yours reads like you are drunk.
and telling.
Link Posted: 10/26/2014 8:29:25 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
I look at drunk drivers like I do pedophiles.

They won't stop until someone else stops them.

View Quote

Sounds about right.
Link Posted: 10/26/2014 8:44:49 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Revoking licenses won't keep them from driving.  Now if states passed a law that says anyone who is accused of DUII gets the vehicle they were driving seized and held pending out come of the charge (REGARDLESS OF WHO OWNS IT) then people would be much more careful.
View Quote

They take it as forfeiture here if you're the registered owner.
Link Posted: 10/26/2014 11:43:27 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Revoking licenses won't keep them from driving.  Now if states passed a law that says anyone who is accused of DUII gets the vehicle they were driving seized and held pending out come of the charge (REGARDLESS OF WHO OWNS IT) then people would be much more careful.

Yay due process.  

Link Posted: 10/26/2014 1:10:17 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
If they don't care about driving drunk, do you really think they will care about driving without a license?
View Quote

Kind of like gun free zones
Link Posted: 10/26/2014 1:19:03 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
If they don't care about driving drunk, do you really think they will care about driving without a license?
View Quote

Yep. But driving without a vehicle would get their attention.

Italy: From 0.05% to 0.08% (€500-2000 fine, 3–6 months license suspension), from 0.08% to 0.15% (aggravated, €800-3200 fine, 6–12 months license suspension, up to 6 months imprisonment), over 0.15% (aggravated, €1500-6000 fine, 1–2 years license suspension, 6 to 12 months imprisonment, vehicle seizure and confiscation).
Link Posted: 10/26/2014 1:22:14 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
We got that shit in Florida.

Ruining too many innocent lives.

Other states should follow suit.
View Quote

I'd have to say that it depends--first time without any injuries or damage, no, just fines and remedial training and mandatory alcohol training.

Second offense? Take it away for a period. Six months maybe (assuming no injuries or property damage.)

Third offense? Permanent revocation.

You can't, nor should have, "once size fits all " punishments mandated for something that has a number of variables.
Link Posted: 10/26/2014 1:25:15 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
What about people that crash out in the back seat?
I know a few that got DUIs because they had their keys in their pockets and therefore "had the ability" to drive it.
Or a kid that had a few and wanted to sit on someones bike?
(The keys were in the ignition and cops nailed the kid. Las Vegas cops were some real shit heals.)

If pulled over? Nail the dip shits. If it's someone else's car, they can pay the impound fee as a reminder to be a little more discriminating about to whom they loan their car.
View Quote

This has never made sense to me. A driver is actually attempting to do the right thing by not getting behind the wheel and driving. "Sleep it off in the back seat" should be encouraged as long as it is not the "sleeping it off in the back seat of a car that has been run up someone's yard and into their living room" type.
Link Posted: 10/26/2014 1:26:16 PM EDT
[#9]
I know plenty of people that have or currently drive without a license. All it is is a piece of plastic that makes your life easier when you get pulled over.
Link Posted: 10/26/2014 1:51:12 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Well, yes, sort of.  Laws only work on the law abiding, correct?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

You could say that for all laws then.

Sure. Why have laws then?

Link Posted: 10/26/2014 2:01:28 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

This has never made sense to me. A driver is actually attempting to do the right thing by not getting behind the wheel and driving. "Sleep it off in the back seat" should be encouraged as long as it is not the "sleeping it off in the back seat of a car that has been run up someone's yard and into their living room" type.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I know a few that got DUIs because they had their keys in their pockets and therefore "had the ability" to drive it.
(The keys were in the ignition and cops nailed the kid. Las Vegas cops were some real shit heals.)

If pulled over? Nail the dip shits. If it's someone else's car, they can pay the impound fee as a reminder to be a little more discriminating about to whom they loan their car.

I was living in Reno when that law was passed in Nevada, and the cops immediately started using it to generate revenue. Best I recall it was referred to as "in or about a vehicle" at that time. There was a local air race pilot who was popped for his second DUI for sitting in his car listening to the radio while in his own driveway; he hadn't been driving and wasn't intending to drive anywhere. Didn't stop the system from doing what they could to wreck his life though.
Link Posted: 10/26/2014 2:17:21 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
We got that shit in Florida.

Ruining too many innocent lives.

Other states should follow suit.
View Quote

some states DUI regulations are too low. you could get popped for one beer in some circumstances.

I would say perm loss of license after a SECOND DUI.

however, considering the lack of will we seem to have with enforcing licenses with illegals, I have no doubt
that we'd end up with another class of unlicensed drivers out there just waiting for an accident to run from.
Link Posted: 10/26/2014 2:46:42 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

As an officer, I've never understood this either. I think perhaps our law was written to cover the latter types you mentioned, but I also believe it casts too wide a net. Of course, in my own cases, that's where officer discretion comes into play. "Too much to drink and you're gonna sleep it off in the car? Give me your keys and I'll give you a ride home, and you can get your keys tomorrow when you're sober."
Link Posted: 10/26/2014 2:48:48 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

You could say that for all laws then.

To keep the honest people honest?

Complete lawlessness is not desirable either. Like most things the correct answer is not in the extremes, but somewhere in the middle.

Is driving under the influence a bad behavior that should be punished? Sure, absolutely. But, good people make mistakes, so I'd go with smack 'em hard enough to hurt on the first DUI, with revocation and possible jail time on the 2nd. First DUI and involved in an accident where someone is hurt? Go directly to jail.

Link Posted: 10/26/2014 2:49:14 PM EDT
[#15]
First offense with no injury or property damage involved?

Nope.

Link Posted: 10/26/2014 2:51:14 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

As an officer, I've never understood this either. I think perhaps our law was written to cover the latter types you mentioned, but I also believe it casts too wide a net. Of course, in my own cases, that's where officer discretion comes into play. "Too much to drink and you're gonna sleep it off in the car? Give me your keys and I'll give you a ride home, and you can get your keys tomorrow when you're sober."
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Unfortunately, officer discretion can come back and bite the officer too.

Link Posted: 10/26/2014 2:56:50 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Very true. It has at my agency in the past.

Several years before I started here, an officer stopped somebody who was borderline DUI. Called a friend to pick him up, and gave the keys to the friend and had them park the truck in a parking lot. Half an hour later, guess who gets into a crash a mile away from where the truck was left. As soon as the officer left the scene, the friend looped the block and dropped the drunk off to drive home. He then promptly flipped his truck into a ditch.
Link Posted: 10/26/2014 3:01:15 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Very true. It has at my agency in the past.

Several years before I started here, an officer stopped somebody who was borderline DUI. Called a friend to pick him up, and gave the keys to the friend and had them park the truck in a parking lot. Half an hour later, guess who gets into a crash a mile away from where the truck was left. As soon as the officer left the scene, the friend looped the block and dropped the drunk off to drive home. He then promptly flipped his truck into a ditch.
View Quote

This one from my neck of the woods sticks out in my mind.

http://articles.chicagotribune.com/2010-05-15/news/ct-met-0515-chicago-heights-lawsuit-20100515_1_police-officer-chicago-heights-police-department-fatal-accident
Link Posted: 10/27/2014 4:48:04 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

lol, driving is not a right if you're going to use roads paid for by taxes.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
driving is a right

anyway revoking driver's license for DUI on a bicycle, lawnmower or something is out of line.  It happens

lol, driving is not a right if you're going to use roads paid for by taxes.

That's a ridiculous but rather modern notion.  It would have been a rather offensive notion earlier in the history of this country when traveling freely as one pleases was regarded as a right and not a privilege subject to the whims of the state.
Link Posted: 10/27/2014 5:06:39 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

You have the right to travel, but not necessarily by car... Im fine proving competency to drive/know lawx regardin driving.

I think there needs to be a 3-strikes type of system.  First time, 6 month suspensio, second time, 1 yr, third time, lifetime ba. Being stupid should hurt.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I don't think driver's licenses should exist.

I agree with this as well.  The right to travel freely was honoured for a long time in this country, but no more apparently.  It is unfortunate that the proponents of state controul over our lives have been highly effective at getting people to accept the idea of "driving is a privilege, not a right."

You have the right to travel, but not necessarily by car... Im fine proving competency to drive/know lawx regardin driving.

I think there needs to be a 3-strikes type of system.  First time, 6 month suspensio, second time, 1 yr, third time, lifetime ba. Being stupid should hurt.

The right to travel freely can entail both where you go and how you get yourself there.  The idea that one loses the right because they choose modern conveyances is one borne out of an increasingly powerful and intrusive state.
Link Posted: 10/27/2014 6:22:19 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

The right to travel freely can entail both where you go and how you get yourself there.  The idea that one loses the right because they choose modern conveyances is one borne out of an increasingly powerful and intrusive state.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I agree with this as well.  The right to travel freely was honoured for a long time in this country, but no more apparently.  It is unfortunate that the proponents of state controul over our lives have been highly effective at getting people to accept the idea of "driving is a privilege, not a right."

He'd probably state the 2A covers ARs in the same breath.
Link Posted: 10/27/2014 6:54:18 AM EDT
[#22]
In for the professional drunk driving excuses.
Link Posted: 10/27/2014 7:01:27 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

We have a member here that got a DUI because he was drinking beer while operating a tractor in his own field.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
I knew a guy who got a DUI for sleeping in his car in the parking lot of a hotel.  

ETA: it was a party at the hotel, he didn't randomly pull into one while drunk.

I knew a kid busted for DUI cause he had the keys in the ignition to play the radio.  Kid wasn't even in the car, engine wasn't running.

We have a member here that got a DUI because he was drinking beer while operating a tractor in his own field.

There must be more to that story.  What circumstance brought the cop to the field?
Link Posted: 10/27/2014 7:10:40 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

you do have the right to drive a car without restrictions.
a 5 year old can go out today and buy a car at any dealship and drive it as much as he likes.
just not on a public roadway. if you want to travel on the public roadway there are rules to follow to provide for the safety of everyone using it.
you know that other people have rights too...right?
Link Posted: 10/27/2014 5:49:09 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
View Quote

The texting drivers are far more hilarious to listen too.
Link Posted: 10/29/2014 1:53:53 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

texting isnt illegal though.
Link Posted: 10/29/2014 1:54:50 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

2nd A covers machine guns and silencers and anti tank weapons since they are in common usage since forever.
Link Posted: 10/29/2014 2:28:28 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

It's illegal in about three quarters of the states.
Link Posted: 10/29/2014 3:03:47 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
2nd A covers machine guns and silencers and anti tank weapons since they are in common usage since forever.
View Quote

You are not tracking me.
Page / 5
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top