Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 44
Link Posted: 7/30/2015 11:33:12 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Or they convict him of a number of potential lesser-includeds. Like 2nd Degree Murder.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Deters, the prosecutor, is on Fox right now.  
"He's a MURDERER"

So they have to prove that he had a plan to do so, or forethought, correct?

Crazy like a fox, man!  Charge him with premeditated murder, the evidence proves otherwise, jury either votes not guilty  or deadlocks, cop goes free.

Or they convict him of a number of potential lesser-includeds. Like 2nd Degree Murder.

Ohio has:
Aggravated Murder
Murder
Voluntary Manslaughter
Involuntary Manslaughter
Reckless Homicide
Negligent Homicide

Read the differences here...
http://codes.ohio.gov/orc/2903
Link Posted: 7/30/2015 11:33:19 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 7/30/2015 11:50:55 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

Ohio has:
Aggravated Murder
Murder
Voluntary Manslaughter
Involuntary Manslaughter
Reckless Homicide
Negligent Homicide

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Deters, the prosecutor, is on Fox right now.  
"He's a MURDERER"

So they have to prove that he had a plan to do so, or forethought, correct?

Crazy like a fox, man!  Charge him with premeditated murder, the evidence proves otherwise, jury either votes not guilty  or deadlocks, cop goes free.

Ohio has:
Aggravated Murder
Murder
Voluntary Manslaughter
Involuntary Manslaughter
Reckless Homicide
Negligent Homicide

I did say "like." But yes, I assume you guys have lesser-included's just like most states.
Link Posted: 7/30/2015 11:53:47 AM EDT
[#4]
is it common practice for a prosecutor to be that inflammatory and use that kind of unprofessional language when discussing a case?

seems like kind of a jackass..

I understand that much of this is theater( the speed of indictment, the level of charge, etc.) to placate the mob, but escalating with this kind of casual language and sureness of outcome seems like it will set up unrealistic expectation in the mob and result potentially in much worse consequences for failure on the prosecutors part to deliver than if he had been calm and uber professional about this case from the start.

seems really irresponsible too me.
Link Posted: 7/30/2015 11:57:15 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
I hope I get picked for jury duty and I can be on this trial.
View Quote

When charged with a crime like this a police officer frequently waives the right to a jury trial.
It seems that some don't want to submit their fate to the judgment of the citizens.
Link Posted: 7/30/2015 11:59:11 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
is it common practice for a prosecutor to be that inflammatory and use that kind of unprofessional language when discussing a case?

I understand that much of this is theater( the speed of indictment, the level of charge, etc.) to placate the mob, but escalating with this kind of casual language and sureness of outcome seems like it will set up unrealistic expectation in the mob and result potentially in much worse consequences for failure on the prosecutors part to deliver than if he had been calm and uber professional about this case from the start.

View Quote

Deters has a history of being extremely vocal and speaks his mind, and is a pretty straight shooter. I went school with his son and met the prosecutor a few times, if he's calling this murder, there's a safe bet that's what it is.
Link Posted: 7/30/2015 12:00:50 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Deters has a history of being extremely vocal and speaks his mind, and is a pretty straight shooter. I went school with his son and met the prosecutor a few times, if he's calling this murder, there's a safe bet that's what it is.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Seems he graduated from straight shooter to politician.
Link Posted: 7/30/2015 12:03:35 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

And a very scared one at that.  He was afraid of what was being promised by the mob if he didn't deliver Tensing to them on a rail.  That should be a lesson to every other cop in Hamilton County.  I'm sure this will all end well.

Link Posted: 7/30/2015 12:10:05 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

How so?  He's calling it the way he sees it.  Just because it happens appease the rabble doesn't make it political.  
Link Posted: 7/30/2015 12:14:57 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
And a very scared one at that.  He was afraid of what was being promised by the mob if he didn't deliver Tensing to them on a rail.  That should be a lesson to every other cop in Hamilton County.  I'm sure this will all end well.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

You haven't paid much attention to Joe Deters.  You are operating under the assumption that he's wrong.  Remember, he has more information than we do.  Like Duramaxman said, if he's calling it murder, that's most likely what it is.
Link Posted: 7/30/2015 12:18:18 PM EDT
[#11]
Interesting article

One Officers Take
Link Posted: 7/30/2015 12:30:57 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 7/30/2015 12:37:29 PM EDT
[#13]
I don't think he even fired on purpose.  I guess you shouldn't pull your gun and point it at people's heads unless you are actually in fear of something.  Hell, he should have had more fear when the guy was digging around in his car than when he was trying to drive off.  If he was "scared" so badly when the guy tried to drive off that he had to shoot, he is a coward.
Link Posted: 7/30/2015 12:40:18 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
I don't think he even fired on purpose.  I guess you shouldn't pull your gun and point it at people's heads unless you are actually in fear of something.  Hell, he should have had more fear when the guy was digging around in his car than when he was trying to drive off.  If he was "scared" so badly when the guy tried to drive off that he had to shoot, he is a coward.
View Quote

What's those rules gun users are supposed to obey? I think one of 'em has something like don't point guns at things you don't mean to shoot right?
Link Posted: 7/30/2015 12:51:04 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
yeah, regardless of what happened his comments criticizing a police officer for pulling someone over with a missing plate and implying the officer should have then let the guy go, with no license and after handing the officer a bottle of gin, is some of the most bizarre comments I have heard a prosecutor make  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

yeah, regardless of what happened his comments criticizing a police officer for pulling someone over with a missing plate and implying the officer should have then let the guy go, with no license and after handing the officer a bottle of gin, is some of the most bizarre comments I have heard a prosecutor make  

It's appeasement so cinci don't burn.......

........smile and wave policing is what they want.......no confrontation, let the hood police themselves like B-more.......and it's what every city in America is going to get.

Smile and wave boys..........don't even risk it..........just smile and wave
Link Posted: 7/30/2015 12:55:38 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

I guess where I am hung up is if I'm fixing to pull the guy out of the car I wouldn't be sticking my gun that far into the car. Your at a massive leverage disadvantage and your introducing the possibility of your gun going in the car while your being dragged.
You can let the car go, get in your car and pursue.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Devils advocate here what if:

The cop called in the guy's name, saw he had a license (or didn't then things go differently), issued him a ticket for failure to produce, and called it a day? I thought the cop was being a bit dickish asking the same question multiple times when he knew the answer was going to be "I don't have my license" and I think the driver was being a bit dickish. In the end the two dicks collided and one person is dead. Cop should stand trial and when he is found not guilty of murder the city will burn.

Hey Patty, looks like your LEO. What is the protocol in a car stop if a suspect reaches for the ignition? Is it instructed to open the car door or reach/lean inside the car?  Truly curious. No law enforcement experience.

According to Prosecutor Joe Deters the officer should of just let him drive away at that point. (Not being an ass, he really said that)
I guess where I am hung up is if I'm fixing to pull the guy out of the car I wouldn't be sticking my gun that far into the car. Your at a massive leverage disadvantage and your introducing the possibility of your gun going in the car while your being dragged.

and put how many innocent people's lives at risk in the process of a pursuit with an individual that was possibly/probably intoxicated?

Link Posted: 7/30/2015 12:56:40 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

........smile and wave policing is what they want.......no confrontation, let the hood police themselves like B-more.......and it's what every city in America is going to get.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Huh?  I have heard numerous times that cops don't make laws and it's not their fault, it is the politician's fault when gun laws are enforced....you know "don't like the laws, you should change them not blame the cops...."  

So how is this going to happen?  
Link Posted: 7/30/2015 12:58:37 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
and put how many innocent people's lives at risk in the process of a pursuit with an individual that was possibly/probably intoxicated?

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

The cop called in the guy's name, saw he had a license (or didn't then things go differently), issued him a ticket for failure to produce, and called it a day? I thought the cop was being a bit dickish asking the same question multiple times when he knew the answer was going to be "I don't have my license" and I think the driver was being a bit dickish. In the end the two dicks collided and one person is dead. Cop should stand trial and when he is found not guilty of murder the city will burn.

Hey Patty, looks like your LEO. What is the protocol in a car stop if a suspect reaches for the ignition? Is it instructed to open the car door or reach/lean inside the car?  Truly curious. No law enforcement experience.

According to Prosecutor Joe Deters the officer should of just let him drive away at that point. (Not being an ass, he really said that)

VS putting how many lives at risk by giving the hood an excuse to riot?

Even other area cops are saying this guy fucked up and made a stupid call.
Link Posted: 7/30/2015 1:00:00 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

In hind sight he should have just responded over his radio..."And as we watch our Hero speed off into the sunset in his Honda, I am left to ponder whether to give chase or find a sandwich.  I'm hungry.  Dispatch, mark me Signal 23."  

Smile and wave boys.  When local government gets serious about the crime problem, they'll let you know.  

Link Posted: 7/30/2015 1:06:49 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
I read through as much as I could,  about 10 pages. This is what I got from the video.

Horrible shoot. A. No front license plate is a stupid law.   The officer doesn't have to stop someone for that. Yeah I know it's the law and he broke it.  Big deal. Pulling anyone over for that is just fishing.   B. He reached into the car which looked to be an attempt to stop the guy from driving.   C. When he couldn't stop him,  he decided his life was in danger from someone trying to drive away from him. Then proceeded to shoot him.  

The guys life history has nothing to do with this stop.
View Quote

How do you know the guy's life history had nothing to do with the stop?   Cops love pretext stops.  No front LP is a legit reason to stop people in some states.
Link Posted: 7/30/2015 1:07:32 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I would buy this as a much better reason to shoot than the officer was in fear.
Link Posted: 7/30/2015 1:12:11 PM EDT
[#22]
There's been a number of callers this morning on the Buzz who suggest that the officer fell due to firing his pistol one handed. For laughs what does UC Police carry?
Link Posted: 7/30/2015 1:13:59 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
There's been a number of callers this morning on the Buzz who suggest that the officer fell due to firing his pistol one handed. For laughs what does UC Police carry?
View Quote

.458 Win Mag in pistol form
Link Posted: 7/30/2015 1:15:49 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

which is legal?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
I read through as much as I could,  about 10 pages. This is what I got from the video.

Horrible shoot. A. No front license plate is a stupid law.   The officer doesn't have to stop someone for that. Yeah I know it's the law and he broke it.  Big deal. Pulling anyone over for that is just fishing.   B. He reached into the car which looked to be an attempt to stop the guy from driving.   C. When he couldn't stop him,  he decided his life was in danger from someone trying to drive away from him. Then proceeded to shoot him.  

The guys life history has nothing to do with this stop.

Most of the local/city cops in OH do not give a shit about it.  I see people around here all the time with no front plate.  From what I have been told, the Highway Patrol is about the only agency in Ohio that will stop you for that reason alone.

It kind of amazes me that a campus cop made this stop.

They NEVER stop you for that reason.  That's only the justification.  

which is legal?

see "pretext stop"
Link Posted: 7/30/2015 1:16:47 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
View Quote

didn't someone here post that the prosecutor suggested this?

Link Posted: 7/30/2015 1:17:38 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yes he did.......I heard him say it
Link Posted: 7/30/2015 1:18:57 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

this is the same prosecutor we've been assured knows murder when he sees it?
Link Posted: 7/30/2015 1:20:26 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Lol.....yes......and an .88 magnum
Link Posted: 7/30/2015 1:24:50 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

His office had better have never taken a case where that was the PC for the stop, let alone ever argued at a suppression hearing that such a violation was good PC for whatever came from the stop.
Link Posted: 7/30/2015 1:25:16 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

How so?  He's calling it the way he sees it.  Just because it happens appease the rabble doesn't make it political.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

He was giving a speech, not a factual, non biased legal statement.
Link Posted: 7/30/2015 1:25:44 PM EDT
[#31]
It sounds like Mr. 60 arrests hadn't lived an honest day in his life.  I'm amazed he made it to 43 without winning the Stupid Grand Prize before.

It's a shame that the cop is going to burn after doing society a favor....
Link Posted: 7/30/2015 1:28:08 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Look at the video again; it appears that the bottle of gin is unopened/none has been consumed.
Link Posted: 7/30/2015 1:29:18 PM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

It shoots through schools as well as craniums.  

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ufH4eZ7sF_I

Link Posted: 7/30/2015 1:37:15 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

If you saw someone else driving off in your car and you shot them in the head, (and you weren't in Texas), would you be a murderer?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Actually, he ordered him to stop, which I suspect is normal. Things happened very fast. Trying to arm chair this is ridiculous.
What happened, happened. He's just not a murderer, in my opinion.

If you saw someone else driving off in your car and you shot them in the head, (and you weren't in Texas), would you be a murderer?

Yes you would. But I already tried that argument and it got shot down. Surprise, surprise.

Also, If you watch the video you will see he wasn't dragged. All this BS about him being dragged is a bunch of BS, and did I mention its BS.

He took the shot before the vehicle was rolling, you can see that in the video.

Dirtbag off the street? Yes, and Good.

Cop indicted? Yes, as he should be.

I am betting on a convection also.
Link Posted: 7/30/2015 1:39:50 PM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:
Yes you would. But I already tried that argument and it got shot down. Surprise, surprise.

Also, If you watch the video you will see he wasn't dragged. All this BS about him being dragged is a bunch of BS, and did I mention its BS.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Actually, he ordered him to stop, which I suspect is normal. Things happened very fast. Trying to arm chair this is ridiculous.

You want to send him to the oven?  

Link Posted: 7/30/2015 1:41:29 PM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:

when does cincinnati start burning?
View Quote
shortly after the acquittal

Link Posted: 7/30/2015 1:42:18 PM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

when does cincinnati start burning?

I'll not be going on that mutual aid call.  

Link Posted: 7/30/2015 1:51:03 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Do you understand what betting is?

I said "I am betting on a convection". That means I don't care what the outcome is but If I was a betting man I would put my money on a convection.

EDIT. I see the spelling. convection, conviction. My bad.
Link Posted: 7/30/2015 1:51:04 PM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:
That's not been proven to my knowledge yet. Having a full bottle in your vehicle is not illegal.

I couldn't give less of a fuck about the guy that got killed. But the cop shouldn't have reached into the vehicle and put himself at risk, and then used an afraid for his life excuse to shoot the bastard.

By shooting someone under questionable circumstances that cop opened himself up to liability, and quite arguably put the whole city at risk of being burned to the ground. Unfortunately those consequences need to be taken into account. So yes, I would rather a drunk be driving around than half the city of Cincinnati burned to the ground.

He already had the plate, all he had to do was clear himself of the vehicle and follow in his own car while calling in backup and follow the guy. Had he done that his career wouldn't be over and he wouldn't be facing murder charges.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

He didn't do nothing?

He drove with out a front license plate to get pulled over

In the course of talking to the officer it was discovered he was dui

In the face of that he actively resisted by attempting to start his car and flee

If this cop gets convicted the citizens are making a statement that they would rather have a drunk guy fleeing in a car through thier streets than let an officer do his job

If the cop was much larger he possibly could have overpowered the guy and dragged him out of the vehicle, guess they should start hiring larger cops

That's not been proven to my knowledge yet. Having a full bottle in your vehicle is not illegal.

I couldn't give less of a fuck about the guy that got killed. But the cop shouldn't have reached into the vehicle and put himself at risk, and then used an afraid for his life excuse to shoot the bastard.

By shooting someone under questionable circumstances that cop opened himself up to liability, and quite arguably put the whole city at risk of being burned to the ground. Unfortunately those consequences need to be taken into account. So yes, I would rather a drunk be driving around than half the city of Cincinnati burned to the ground.

He already had the plate, all he had to do was clear himself of the vehicle and follow in his own car while calling in backup and follow the guy. Had he done that his career wouldn't be over and he wouldn't be facing murder charges.
Start fucking shooting the rich and vibrant looters and rioters instead of "giv[ing] them room to destroy". You can't catch 'em all, but you can make an example out of a few.

Link Posted: 7/30/2015 1:53:22 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Start fucking shooting the rich and vibrant looters and rioters instead of "giv[ing] them room to destroy". You can't catch 'em all, but you can make an example out of a few.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
He didn't do nothing?
He drove with out a front license plate to get pulled over
In the course of talking to the officer it was discovered he was dui
In the face of that he actively resisted by attempting to start his car and flee
If this cop gets convicted the citizens are making a statement that they would rather have a drunk guy fleeing in a car through thier streets than let an officer do his job
If the cop was much larger he possibly could have overpowered the guy and dragged him out of the vehicle, guess they should start hiring larger cops

I'd be fine with that. But there's what we would like to see happen, and how things actually are.
Link Posted: 7/30/2015 1:54:02 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

I said "I am betting on a convection". That means I don't care what the outcome is but If I was a betting man I would put my money on a convection.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

All this talk of "betting".  Any odds? Any over or under? My friend Pete is just curious. He will bet on anything...
Link Posted: 7/30/2015 1:58:42 PM EDT
[#42]
I'm really confused at how some of you use the phrase "running away" like this low life was just on foot and unarmed...

He floored it in a 2000+ pound vehicle.  That does not equal unarmed.  A car is a weapon, and quite a deadly one at that.  

Thug grabbed the officers arm, floored it, and got what was coming to him.  Play stupid games, get stupid results.  

If BLM wants to continue to glorify career criminals then it just goes to show how fucked up this country is
Link Posted: 7/30/2015 2:01:32 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I don't believe he meant "let him go", but rather, "let him drive off and pursue him rather than shooting him in the head".  On the other hand, he said a lot of stuff about the UC PD that he shouldn't have said.

Deters has been around a long time, and he says what he thinks, most of which is spot on in my book.
Link Posted: 7/30/2015 2:02:53 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
...snip...
Look at the video again; it appears that the bottle of gin is unopened/none has been consumed.
View Quote

You should look at it again too, this time with the sound on. Ole boy says it's not alcohol, it's filled with air freshener.

Now how could that have happened if it wasn't opened? Must be Ghetto Jesus in that car or something, turning Gin into that new car smell...

Link Posted: 7/30/2015 2:03:37 PM EDT
[#45]
View Quote

Isn't most Gin clear or transparent?
Link Posted: 7/30/2015 2:03:41 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
View Quote

It surprised me that he didn't bat an eye when dead guy went for the glove box.  That would have puckered me up pretty good.
Link Posted: 7/30/2015 2:05:55 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

What's those rules gun users are supposed to obey? I think one of 'em has something like don't point guns at things you don't mean to shoot right?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I don't think that one applies to cops.  Well, they don't think so, anyway.
Link Posted: 7/30/2015 2:08:06 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Death for suspected DWI?
Link Posted: 7/30/2015 2:09:43 PM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Yes, yes it is.  So the whole thing was going to merit more investigation.  It will be interesting to know what all was found in the car.  Obviously the driver felt it was worth the risk to drag the officer in his escape attempt.  

Link Posted: 7/30/2015 2:11:34 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
I'm really confused at how some of you use the phrase "running away" like this low life was just on foot and unarmed...

He floored it in a 2000+ pound vehicle.  That does not equal unarmed.  A car is a weapon, and quite a deadly one at that.  

Thug grabbed the officers arm, floored it, and got what was coming to him.  Play stupid games, get stupid results.  

If BLM wants to continue to glorify career criminals then it just goes to show how fucked up this country is
View Quote

There isn't even consensus if the car was moving until after he had been shot.
Page / 44
Top Top