User Panel

Page / 8
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 9/28/2016 4:07:44 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Not really buying it.

Anyone that has seen what the manufacturers put their cars through on the proving grounds would agree.

If it is indeed an issue, then have local hot rod shop louver the hood.  Instant bad ass cop car.
View Quote

I've worked at a proving grounds...........
Link Posted: 9/28/2016 4:40:20 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Why not just turn them off?????
View Quote

Link Posted: 9/28/2016 4:41:10 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Read the thread..
Link Posted: 9/28/2016 4:43:00 PM EDT
[#4]
Over heating....yea that's it.
Link Posted: 9/28/2016 4:52:56 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
What kind of person sees a hood up on a car and thinks "He's blocking dash cam" instead of "Wonder if he needs help?"?

View Quote

Someone who is either paranoid or guilty of something.  
Link Posted: 9/28/2016 4:58:32 PM EDT
[#6]
I don't know anything about this latest rumor but I do remember back when I lived in Virginia Beach, apparently some cops (or at least one) would park on the side of the road with the hood up while they ran radar.

I found out about it because one of my coworkers was bitching all day long about it, almost yelling about, "HE HAS NO RIGHT TO DO THAT!"  He never said, but I kinda suspected he'd driven by the cop, thinking it was a broken down driver... and got tagged (again) for speeding.
Link Posted: 9/28/2016 7:35:20 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Because that would disable the coolant ng system and the engine would overheat
Link Posted: 9/28/2016 11:34:22 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

If an officer wanted to conceal his shady behavior,  he could pull in front of you instead of behind during a traffic stop.  Also, he could play AC/DC at high volume to obscure any audio recordings while he gets in your face like a maniac and tries to pull your helmet off with the strap buckled.

That's my experience anyways; not sure how it's done elsewhere.

BTW - I filed for a copy of the video but  it turns out the recording equipment was "Out of service/Unavailable" that day for some reason.  No video or audio from that officer that day- Imagine that.
View Quote

All the cameras in my area record out the front and partial view out the back seat. Also you can mute either the sound recorded in the vehicle or the belt mic seperately while watching. Try again
Link Posted: 9/28/2016 11:54:25 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
I don't think anyone is driving around with their hood up to obscure a camera, but I don't buy that a modern car needs it
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
DANVILLE, VA (WSET/CNN) - Shakeva Frazier said she didn’t think twice when she saw police with their car hoods up. It wasn’t until she saw a post on Facebook that led her to believe that police were blocking their dash cams.

"That camera is the backup that’s been letting us know, nationwide, what’s been going on for a long time,” Frazier said. "Those cameras are giving us a lot of information that we need.”

Danville Police Lt. Mike Wallace said officers were told to raise their hoods when their cars are idling for long periods. They started doing it during a heat wave in late August.

"The engine didn’t overheat, it just got so hot that some of the parts had melted,” Wallace said. "Well, we’ve got to take the car off line when that happens, to get it fixed.”

"So, we want to dispel this type of information that’s come from outside of our area. We want our citizens to know what the truth is.”

http://www.wbrc.com/story/33255863/police-dept-dispels-rumors-about-raised-patrol-car-hoods-in-va

People are stupid.

Its been a pretty standard practice here in AZ for my entire lifetime and I'm no kid.
I don't think anyone is driving around with their hood up to obscure a camera, but I don't buy that a modern car needs it

Under hood temps affect a lot of systems. It's common to pop the hood if it's going to idle in the heat. We tend to leave them open just enough to allow the heat to vent. Especially in K9.
Link Posted: 9/29/2016 12:35:28 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Thanks for proving once again that you cannot lead a horse to common sense.    "Police Cruisers" in a small town are whatever they can get for cheap from the local dealership. The only difference is the paint scheme and MAYBE an upgraded alternator.

Have any of you waterheads figured out yet that they would have to put the hood DOWN  in order to make a traffic stop in the first place?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Weird, we where never told to raise the hoods on our ambulances, despite the fact that sat idling in 120 degree heat for 8-10 hours some days, never saw a patrol car with its hood up either. VA not spring for the hot weather package on their rigs?

Police cruisers typically have upgraded cooling systems for the engine, oil, and transmission so tge car can be used in high speed chases and long idle times.

I dont buy their bullshit excuse for a second.  They will find another way to cover the dash cameras.

Thanks for proving once again that you cannot lead a horse to common sense.    "Police Cruisers" in a small town are whatever they can get for cheap from the local dealership. The only difference is the paint scheme and MAYBE an upgraded alternator.

Have any of you waterheads figured out yet that they would have to put the hood DOWN  in order to make a traffic stop in the first place?

That is insanely wrong for my area. I'm in Mayberry, USA and everything gets ordered.
Link Posted: 9/29/2016 1:49:12 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Two techs working on my patrol vehicle... Last week
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Hmm, work in a cop car garage, South of Danville. It gets hot.

Have never recommended, or heard recommended popping the hood to let the heat out.

Vehicle cooling systems are designed to work with the hood shut. If the vehicle is overheating and shutting down something is wrong, it ain't the hood. There may have been some credence to the practice back when fans were belt driven with p.o.s. viscous clutches.

If you're installing anything other than fuses and relays in the engine bay for the police package you have no business installing electronics.

Not that I belive they are doing it to obscur the camera, as who the f'k responds to a call bails out, hits the hood release on the way, then fumbles for the latch before distributing unwarranted beat downs and illegal searches? Seems to me "people are stupid" slices both ways in this case.

Seems odd that no one has commented on this post.

I disagree with the red part.

Who recommended it?

Two techs working on my patrol vehicle... Last week

Clearly it gets recommended some places as evidenced in this thread, but I am surprised that servicing a dept in the South with I forget how many hundred cars ('07 and up Vics, 6.0 Caprices, and '13 up 5.7 Chargers make the bulk currently) and municipality with over 3k vehicles many of which idle for hours this thread is the first I've heard of the practice. Considering the scarcity of random no fault found overheating, spontaneous combustion, no fault found poor a/c performance, or melted/burned electronics I don't expect we'll be recommending the practice anytime soon.

When cars come in for overheating or poor A/C performance we find a problem, with a/c sometimes it's the driver, I can't recall the last comeback on a light equipment vehicle that came in with one of those complaints.
Link Posted: 9/29/2016 10:52:45 AM EDT
[#12]
Where are these agencies going to get the money to fix these problems or buy the cars that always work?

Some of the ones around have bought  second hand state trooper cars for their "new" cars
Page / 8
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top