Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 5/27/2017 9:00:50 PM EDT
I was recently treated for melanoma, and now every time I cough I freak out and give my self 10 months to live.  How do you keep this crap out of your head?
Link Posted: 5/27/2017 9:02:58 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 5/27/2017 9:03:39 PM EDT
[#2]
FPNI
Link Posted: 5/27/2017 9:04:28 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 5/27/2017 9:06:59 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
I was recently treated for melanoma, and now every time I cough I freak out and give my self 10 months to live.  How do you keep this crap out of your head?
View Quote

I just had half my colon and a cancerous mass removed last Friday. While in there they found a spot on my liver and removed it. You guessed it, cancer. I know I'm fighting for my life. I intend to win. I can't afford to freak out, so I don't. You control it or it destroys you. Maybe in the end I lose, but it won't be because I didn't fight, and it won't be because fear paralyzed or overwhelmed me.

Good luck man!
Link Posted: 5/27/2017 9:08:26 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 5/27/2017 9:09:14 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Fuck cancer.

You can do it!!!  
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I just had half my colon and a cancerous mass removed last Friday. While in there they found a spot on my liver and remained bed it. You guessed it, cancer. I know I'm fighting for my life. I intend to win. I can't afford to freak out, so I don't. You control it or it destroys you. Maybe in the end I lose, but it won't be because I didn't fight, and it won't be because fear paralyzed or overwhelmed me.

Good luck man!
Fuck cancer.

You can do it!!!  
Fuck cancer, you ARE going to do it!
Link Posted: 5/27/2017 9:09:35 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

I just had half my colon and a cancerous mass removed last Friday. While in there they found a spot on my liver and removed it. You guessed it, cancer. I know I'm fighting for my life. I intend to win. I can't afford to freak out, so I don't. You control it or it destroys you. Maybe in the end I lose, but it won't be because I didn't fight, and it won't be because fear paralyzed or overwhelmed me.

Good luck man!
View Quote
You as well!  I am being a POS, worrying my family about it and everything.  I need to stop, but I also don't want to ignore symptoms that might be important.  Its a fine line.
Link Posted: 5/27/2017 9:11:28 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

You as well!  I am being a POS, worrying my family about it and everything.  I need to stop, but I also don't want to ignore symptoms that might be important.  Its a fine line.
View Quote
Stop telling your family about what you think is a symptom.  Tell your doc, let him decide if other people need to know.
Link Posted: 5/27/2017 9:13:55 PM EDT
[#9]
Live, love and enjoy life, it's finite.
Link Posted: 5/27/2017 9:17:27 PM EDT
[#10]
No good answers, but I can relate.

Had a stroke a while back, and now have migraines that include stroke like symptoms.

I guess my clue is the visual aura. If I see that along with the other crap, I assume it's a migraine. If I don't see that, I assume I'm stroking out and should call 911.

Sleeping on your arm and waking up with a numb hand is a fun one too. Nothing like a full on adrenaline dump to get you up and going in the morning.
Link Posted: 5/27/2017 9:18:06 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Good luck man!
View Quote
I went through basically the same deal in 2013-14.  Took a big piece of my colon, then a year later about 2/3 of my liver.  Ineffective chemo in between.  You just deal with it because what other choice do you really have?  

So you stay positive, grit your teeth and resolve to fight it and endure what you have to in order to win.  You do that one day at a time, one after the other.

I'm still here and until I'm not, fuck cancer.  It will not destroy my spirit even if it destroys my body.  

Stare it straight in the eyes and do not blink. That's how you win.
Link Posted: 5/27/2017 9:21:48 PM EDT
[#12]
We all have a time to die. Death will not be cheated. I just lost an old friend. We were the same age..57.
Lost a SIL at 46..cancer.. lost a BIL at 56 this year..blood clots.. Lung cancer runs in my family but I quit smoking 30 years ago.
My dad made it until 82 and lung cancer got him. His brother fought lung cancer for 6 years until it got him at 77. Had an uncle from my moms side that died from it at 69.
Just got to live one day at a time OP and thank the Lord for all the days you get.
Link Posted: 5/27/2017 9:24:23 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Everyone dies.  Everyone is on a clock.  I know cancer will get me, but I don't know when.

Just keep your eyes on the present.
View Quote
Yup, none of us are getting out of here alive.
Link Posted: 5/27/2017 9:24:57 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
View Quote
I was treated for melanoma almost 20 years ago. That "crap" doesn't get into my head because I don't give a shit. I realize that nobody gets out of life alive.
Link Posted: 5/27/2017 9:24:57 PM EDT
[#15]
I went on an anti-inflammatory ketogenic diet and do everything I can to avoid carcinogens.
But who knows if it will make a difference.
Link Posted: 5/27/2017 9:25:34 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
You live in the now. You are well, now and will probably be well not far from now.

If you dwell on the future or past, you can deny yourself the best possible now.

Enjoy what you have, now.
View Quote
This.

Read Matthew Chapter 6.

“Therefore I say to you, do not worry about your life, what you will eat or what you will drink; nor about your body, what you will put on. Is not life more than food and the body more than clothing?  Look at the birds of the air, for they neither sow nor reap nor gather into barns; yet your heavenly Father feeds them. Are you not of more value than they? Which of you by worrying can add one cubit to his stature?

“So why do you worry about clothing? Consider the lilies of the field, how they grow: they neither toil nor spin;  and yet I say to you that even Solomon in all his glory was not arrayed like one of these. Now if God so clothes the grass of the field, which today is, and tomorrow is thrown into the oven, will He not much more clothe you, O you of little faith?

“Therefore do not worry, saying, ‘What shall we eat?’ or ‘What shall we drink?’ or ‘What shall we wear?’ For after all these things the Gentiles seek. For your heavenly Father knows that you need all these things.  But seek first the kingdom of God and His righteousness, and all these things shall be added to you.  Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about its own things. Sufficient for the day is its own trouble.
Link Posted: 5/27/2017 9:26:14 PM EDT
[#17]
Beer.  

We all die
Link Posted: 5/27/2017 9:28:08 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Read Matthew Chapter 6.

“Therefore I say to you, do not worry about your life, what you will eat or what you will drink; nor about your body, what you will put on. Is not life more than food and the body more than clothing?  Look at the birds of the air, for they neither sow nor reap nor gather into barns; yet your heavenly Father feeds them. Are you not of more value than they? Which of you by worrying can add one cubit to his stature?

“So why do you worry about clothing? Consider the lilies of the field, how they grow: they neither toil nor spin;  and yet I say to you that even Solomon in all his glory was not arrayed like one of these. Now if God so clothes the grass of the field, which today is, and tomorrow is thrown into the oven, will He not much more clothe you, O you of little faith?

“Therefore do not worry, saying, ‘What shall we eat?’ or ‘What shall we drink?’ or ‘What shall we wear?’ For after all these things the Gentiles seek. For your heavenly Father knows that you need all these things.  But seek first the kingdom of God and His righteousness, and all these things shall be added to you.  Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about its own things. Sufficient for the day is its own trouble.
View Quote
That's all well and good until you have to put food on the table and a roof over your family's head, and God isn't there with a bag of cash.
Link Posted: 5/27/2017 9:28:57 PM EDT
[#19]
I was treated for a squamous cell carcinoma at the base of my tongue.  Prayer kept me from freaking out and God answered my prayers and I am still alive 15 years later.
Link Posted: 5/27/2017 9:29:32 PM EDT
[#20]
I had Cancer surgery Oct 28th.

I won't let myself think about why I had surgery, just that I did.
Link Posted: 5/27/2017 9:29:57 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
I was treated for a squamous cell carcinoma at the base of my tongue.  Prayer kept me from freaking out and God answered my prayers and I am still alive 15 years later.
View Quote
Amen brother. Thank God.
Link Posted: 5/27/2017 9:30:21 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Everyone dies.  Everyone is on a clock.  I know cancer will get me, but I don't know when.

View Quote

This....had a pretty high fatality cancer if not caught soon. I lucked out and after ignoring one of the symptoms for 6 years I got checked.......so I got lucky. Now I live like I may not have tomorrow, I have fun and do as I wish.  And I remind others to live life to the fullest.  My wife sometimes does not get my.....I don't give a fuck, no sweat attitude but she deals with it.
Link Posted: 5/27/2017 9:31:06 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
View Quote

Just don't give a fuck.  My dad died of it.  If I die tomorrow I could care less.
Link Posted: 5/27/2017 9:33:39 PM EDT
[#24]
I've outlived my mom's oldest male sibling. Being proactive with your health is good. I have a genitic heart condition that most likely limits my time here. Already buried 5 friends in my early 50s. Just watching now. Best election ever.
Link Posted: 5/27/2017 9:34:33 PM EDT
[#25]
I try not to stress about things that I have no control over.
Link Posted: 5/27/2017 9:36:41 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I just had half my colon and a cancerous mass removed last Friday. While in there they found a spot on my liver and remained bed it. You guessed it, cancer. I know I'm fighting for my life. I intend to win. I can't afford to freak out, so I don't. You control it or it destroys you. Maybe in the end I lose, but it won't be because I didn't fight, and it won't be because fear paralyzed or overwhelmed me.

Good luck man!
Fuck cancer.

You can do it!!!  
I concur...
Link Posted: 5/27/2017 9:38:00 PM EDT
[#27]
Basal cell carcinoma here. Recovering well...
Link Posted: 5/27/2017 9:39:30 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
I try not to stress about things that I have no control over.
View Quote
This is a big key to dealing not only with something "big" like cancer, but the regular slings and arrows of everyday life.  

Control what you can control, don't stress about what you can't.
Link Posted: 5/27/2017 9:40:01 PM EDT
[#29]
I'm a prostate cancer survivor and opted for radiation treatment.  I go in every 3-6 months and get blood drawn.  I try not to think about it too much but it's hard not to sometimes.  I just got the results of my last tests today as a matter of fact.  PSA level was fine but I will say that waiting for the results is always stressful.  I'm still working and aside from several other orthopedic ailments, I'm not doing too bad.
Link Posted: 5/27/2017 9:41:29 PM EDT
[#30]
My wife had breast cancer. I'm a surgeon & have been telling people "I'm sorry, it's cancer..." for over 20 years.

Do you know what Stage you were (past tense)? You HAD it, now you're surviving it.

The stats are usually reassuring, unless your stage was concerning.

The only positive comment on religion or spirituality is that--in my experience people who accept their diagnosis & leave their fate to karma, god, a higher power, etc. seem to be more "peaceful."

Support groups to ask others how they cope helps some.
Link Posted: 5/27/2017 9:43:09 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

View Quote
Link Posted: 5/27/2017 9:52:18 PM EDT
[#32]
I had melanoma removed also. Area still don't feel right. Ain't afraid to go
Link Posted: 5/27/2017 9:54:27 PM EDT
[#33]
A waitress at my favorite restaurant has a 9 year old daughter who had a heart transplant before she was 1 year old. About every 3 or 4 months mom races out of the restaurant to get the kid to the doctor for some emergency or another. I guess the anti rejection drugs will occasionally make the girl real sick. She goes in and out of the hospital with some regularity.
The little girl just ignores all the crap and continues to be a little girl.
Be like the little girl, enjoy the time you have and ignore the crap.
Link Posted: 5/27/2017 9:58:50 PM EDT
[#34]
I jinxed myself.  Every year my hubs and I watch the Triple Crown races and hope for a winner.  In 2015, after American Pharoah won, I sighed and looked at hubs said, I sure hope I live long enough to see another Triple Crown winner.  That was in May.  By June, we had a Triple Crown winner.  In August, I was diagnosed with cancer.

Lymphoma.  I went on to beat that bitch and I will do it again if necessary.  I don't think it's gonna try for sloppy seconds.

Hodgkin lymphoma got my sister in 1975, and pancreatic CA got my grandma also in 1975.  I made up my mind it would not get me.  

I have read my pre- and post-treatment CTs and PET scans.  I whipped the shit out of it.  Even the doctors were amazed.  

So be strong and have a good attitude.  Everybody told me what a good attitude I had, and, to be honest, I was not scared because I knew I was going to beat it.  My husband thought I was going to die.  No way, sweetie, you're not getting away that easy.

And get in early for diagnosis and treatment.  I started getting lumps in my neck and I knew right away what it was.  Got right in, got scanned, biopsied, PowerPort placed, and away we went.  It was a shitty couple of months, but it's all in the past and I've got hair again.

For me, 2016 was a great year -- declared cancer free, Cubbies took the pennant, Trump won the election.
Link Posted: 5/27/2017 10:09:25 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
My wife had breast cancer. I'm a surgeon & have been telling people "I'm sorry, it's cancer..." for over 20 years.

Do you know what Stage you were (past tense)? You HAD it, now you're surviving it.

The stats are usually reassuring, unless your stage was concerning.

The only positive comment on religion or spirituality is that--in my experience people who accept their diagnosis & leave their fate to karma, god, a higher power, etc. seem to be more "peaceful."

Support groups to ask others how they cope helps some.
View Quote
Yes I was pt1a, so early.
Link Posted: 5/27/2017 10:10:09 PM EDT
[#36]
I lost two grandparents, two uncles and my mother to cancer.
We all gotta go sometime and we do not really get to choose when or by what means.

Imagine knowing that nobody in your family has lived past 50 due to a genetic condition.
You are the youngest, you are in your late 40s and everybody else in your family has succumb to it.
That is what my aunt by marriage faced. She was one of the happiest, most positive most live life to the fullest person I think I have ever met.
My uncle found her dead on the living room floor one day, she was 51.
Link Posted: 5/27/2017 10:12:58 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
View Quote

Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change,
The ability to change the things I can,
And the wisdom to know the difference.

Live by that and life gets simple and stress free.

Can you change it?  No?  Then don't worry about it.
Link Posted: 5/27/2017 10:16:21 PM EDT
[#38]
The greatest tragedy in life is not death - but life without purpose. 
Link Posted: 5/27/2017 10:18:28 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
The greatest tragedy in life is not death - but life without purpose. 
View Quote
It isn't that we are here for such a short time it is that we waste so much of it.
(I am guilty of this at times).
Link Posted: 5/27/2017 10:20:41 PM EDT
[#40]
Link Posted: 5/27/2017 10:28:50 PM EDT
[#41]
I'm diagnosed with chronic lymphocytic leukemia. At first I was freaking out and shit. I had blood tests every 2 weeks and oncologist visit every 3rd. After 6 months, no change. I still get blood tests and see my oncologist, but I'm still in the chronic stage 0!
 I do have some tests coming up for my kidneys, a sonagram and blood in the next 2 weeks.
Link Posted: 5/27/2017 10:42:07 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
FPNI
View Quote
8 years in the Army, I know they'll get me and kill me with Cancer. Just live your life, Fast, Hard , and full of Love.
Link Posted: 5/27/2017 10:45:47 PM EDT
[#43]
Please......

I had a 50/50 chance of hitting 30
5% chance of hitting 40
0%< chance of hitting 50

I am 42 .

I'd gladly swap for cancer and a chance at some sort of remission 

Just drive on can't let it rule your life 
Link Posted: 5/27/2017 10:54:57 PM EDT
[#44]
Four times here, first one at 33 in the kidney. Reoccurred two years later in the lung.
A couple since then.
Each time I have a chunkectomy, then radiation, and whatnot.

I'm now 59 and have had a lot of living since then.

Sometimes I have a twinge, or see a spot and think it's back, but then go back to living.

It will get in your head, you can't help it.
But then you fight back and go on.

Good luck to all of us.
Link Posted: 5/27/2017 10:55:57 PM EDT
[#45]
My dad had thyroid cancer when he was 18 years old, and then melanoma in his leg twice later in life. He is just tough as nails and doesn't ever feel sorry for himself. Honestly, I could never be that strong, but I aspire to be. I think faith in God is the best medicine mentally, because whatever is out of your hands is in God's hands, and if it is your time then let God decide, and it takes a big weight off. But again, I'm not that religious so I would probably not be able to practice what I'm preaching as well as I wish. We all have to deal with things in our own way, so don't judge yourself too harshly. Be fair to yourself. You deserve to be able to think about it however you need to.

If it is really bothering you though then I would join a support group. Now normally I'd say support groups are for weak people with too many feelies, but when it comes to life and death issues talking to other survivors could be inspirational.

Good luck man.
Link Posted: 5/27/2017 10:59:10 PM EDT
[#46]
I know how you feel.  I had a basal cell carcinoma removed from my neck a few years ago, and every time I feel a bump I think "oh, crap!"

I just deal with it by realizing that it's likely nothing, and if it is something there is nothing I can do until I see the doctor.  It helps that unlike melanoma BCCs are usually non-malignant.

Really, just enjoy every day and live your life like you did before your diagnosis.  But also make sure to wear a hat and sunscreen and go to checkups regularly.
Link Posted: 5/28/2017 12:01:04 AM EDT
[#47]
It helps if you already know how your life will end.

I know that someday in the future, that I will die by my own hand. I am fine with that, and have been for a very long time. I know that there would be some that would argue that suicide is never the answer. For me it is the only one. I have so much bad shit in my family tree, there never really was any other. Cancer in multiple family members, alzheimers in multiple others, as well as diabetes to enjoy.

I'm 38 years old, and can't remember half the shit I did yesterday. If I write something down, or type it out. I can retain it. Anything said to me is gone in minutes. I am sure that problem though, is from a shot to the head I took many years ago. I don't care if the Reaper wants me, but he sure's the fuck isn't getting me with cancer or alzheimers.
Link Posted: 5/28/2017 12:03:48 AM EDT
[#48]
As a type 1 diabetic...I hope I die of cancer.

It will mean the diabetes didn't get me.

You shoot the immediate threat to the ground...reload...re-asses.

"If firing is complete..."

But I have raised over $25,000.00 for Relay for life over the last 5 years.  Mainly from folks I do rifle work for pro-bono.  
Some of them keep giving even when I don't build them things.
You guys rock.

No one gets out alive!

Shinedown - How Did You Love (Official Video)
Link Posted: 5/28/2017 12:42:38 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
View Quote

My wife, the love of my life, has an incurable form of cancer.  A survivor since 2009.  I derive my strength from her.  Countless chemos, bald head held high.

Beyond that, I know that my life choices will get me eventually, and I live every day to reflect that.

Beyond that, I got my shit together to get straight in what I believe.

Additionally, I know that I have had a great run, and when my time is up, I have no fucks left to give.

I would really rather that a bus doesn't mow me down tomorrow, but we are all going to go someday.

Do not worry about what if, worry about what now.

Here is a dude that went out with his head held high, I only pray I can do the same…..
Warren Zevon - My Shit's Fucked Up
Link Posted: 5/28/2017 12:54:03 AM EDT
[#50]
Most members of my family died of heart disease long before cancer sneaked up on them.   Or hair loss, for that matter.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top