Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 3
Link Posted: 9/30/2011 6:48:44 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
Just to clarify, my brother in law is fairly smart in school but his down's mostly manifests itself in his limited social ability (social skills of a 13 year old), his attention span (he's smart but he STRUGGLES badly to focus almost like he has adhd), and his appearance.

I wish him all the best.
Link Posted: 9/30/2011 6:48:54 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Quoted:
The average IQ of children with Down syndrome is around 50, compared to normal children with an IQ of 100.[5] A small number have a severe to high degree of intellectual disability.

Bell curve says some kids with down syndrome will have an IQ > 100, so they would be smarter than half the retards in this country

That would only be the case if others could have an IQ of 0

No, thats not how it works.
50=(20+20+110)/3

how many chromosomes did you say you had?
Link Posted: 9/30/2011 6:49:36 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

If he can attend why shouldn't he have the ability to go to college if its paid for?

You don't think college should have standards just slightly higher than retarded?

You're shitting me, right?

Here's a fact.   I suffered two strokes when I was a baby.  The doctors told my parents, when I was 10 days old, that I'd never be able to walk, talk or do anything.

Guess fucking what, I went to college, and walked across the stage last May to accept my Associates.

I knew quite a few people in college that had disabilities, some physical, some learning.  

So chew on that for a while.

That's a heck of an inspirational story.  

Good job, man.

Let me tell you one about someone I knew in college.

She came to this country from Poland 10+ years ago.  She had cerebral palsy and used crutches to get around(or a walker when it was snowy or rainy), but was able to drive and work.  Her family became citizens and she graduated a year before I did.  Last I heard she was going off to get a four year law degree.
My cousin was born with many birth defects due to her mother contracting Scarlet Fever during pregnancy.  She is blind, has speech impediments, has numerous physical abnormalities and health issues.  She is perceived by many as mentally challenged.  Despite all this, she has achieved multiple degrees, has always had a productive job (teacher & musician, counselor) and is happily married.

It's pretty tough to complain about stupid shit when you have someone like her in your life.

Link Posted: 9/30/2011 6:50:58 PM EDT
[#4]
I'm leaning towards scott on this one.
Link Posted: 9/30/2011 6:51:50 PM EDT
[#5]
You guys are getting physical condition and motivation quite confused.

The human mind and body is quite capable of amazing things, and conversely quite capable of some extremely horrific things...

Either way, I've seen paralyzed people learn to walk...

The body can and does heal itself, for those with a neurological issue, I think it's a little healing and a lot of adaptation.

Anyway, everyone deserves a chance, meet the requirements, do the work...

Link Posted: 9/30/2011 6:51:51 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
If he can attend why shouldn't he have the ability to go to college if its paid for?

You don't think college should have standards just slightly higher than retarded?

Here's a fact.   I suffered two strokes when I was a baby.  The doctors told my parents, when I was 10 days old, that I'd never be able to walk, talk or do anything.

Guess fucking what, I went to college, and walked across the stage last May to accept my Associates.

I knew quite a few people in college that had disabilities, some physical, some learning.  

Good job, man.

She came to this country from Poland 10+ years ago.  She had cerebral palsy and used crutches to get around(or a walker when it was snowy or rainy), but was able to drive and work.  Her family became citizens and she graduated a year before I did.  Last I heard she was going off to get a four year law degree.
My cousin was born with many birth defects due to her mother contracting Scarlet Fever during pregnancy.  She is blind, has speech impediments, has numerous physical abnormalities and health issues.  She is perceived by many as mentally challenged.  Despite all this, she has achieved multiple degrees, has always had a productive job (teacher & musician, counselor) and is happily married.

It's pretty tough to complain about stupid shit when you have someone like her in your life.

I wish your cousin the best too.
Link Posted: 9/30/2011 6:53:01 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
and god forbid a person with down syndrome that is semi capable of learning get a skill set and not become a drain on society

Who said anything about them not learning a skill? I just said if the standards are so low that anyone can pass then why even bother, it's like pee wee sports where everyone wins but worse.

They won't be able to obtain a degree in physics obviously but there are other things they can learn obviously.

And I'm sure she isn't holding up others in the class at all huh? I remember in school kids that were not retarded would hold up the rest of the class constantly, I can only imagine how it would be with someone with down syndrome in the class.

Wait, wait. How in the hell do you hold a class back in college? Are you saying she's dancing around the class room yelling SCOOBY SCOOBY or something like that? Don't know about you but when I went to college the idiots didn't hold me back . Unless your saying that she scores horribly and screws up the curve?

You never had a class where someone was allowed to ask a thousand stupid questions about material already covered and the professor was afraid to say or do anything about it for fear of being called a racist, bigot, sexist or any one of the many anti PC terms thrown about on college campuses like a dodge ball.
Link Posted: 9/30/2011 6:54:30 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Just to clarify, my brother in law is fairly smart in school but his down's mostly manifests itself in his limited social ability (social skills of a 13 year old), his attention span (he's smart but he STRUGGLES badly to focus almost like he has adhd), and his appearance.

I wish him all the best.

Thanks, it's in the will that when his parents pass (hopefully not soon but you never know) that my wife and I will take care of him. I'm a cold heartless bastard from the way I was raised but honestly think he could work a basic job and have a fairly normal happy life with very very mild supervision.

Link Posted: 9/30/2011 6:54:34 PM EDT
[#9]
As an instructor at a community college, I have had several downs students.  Some of them are just as bright as anyone else, some not so much.  But there's plenty of people with the right number of chromosomes who can't master the concept of carrying the 1, so from the people who enroll in my community college, I'd say they're absolutely average.  Of course, I'm sure the severely handicapped ones don't bother to enroll, but of the ones that do they are no worse on average.

Link Posted: 9/30/2011 6:56:22 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Quoted:

I think if kids with Down's are capable of earning a college diploma, we need to evaluate what that diploma means, because it sure as shit isn't celebrating higher learning.

The boat sailed a long time ago... and it had nothing to do with down syndrome students

Yeah.

Link Posted: 9/30/2011 7:16:37 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

and god forbid a person with down syndrome that is semi capable of learning get a skill set and not become a drain on society

Who said anything about them not learning a skill? I just said if the standards are so low that anyone can pass then why even bother, it's like pee wee sports where everyone wins but worse.

They won't be able to obtain a degree in physics obviously but there are other things they can learn obviously.

And I'm sure she isn't holding up others in the class at all huh? I remember in school kids that were not retarded would hold up the rest of the class constantly, I can only imagine how it would be with someone with down syndrome in the class.

Wait, wait. How in the hell do you hold a class back in college? Are you saying she's dancing around the class room yelling SCOOBY SCOOBY or something like that? Don't know about you but when I went to college the idiots didn't hold me back . Unless your saying that she scores horribly and screws up the curve?

You never had a class where someone was allowed to ask a thousand stupid questions about material already covered and the professor was afraid to say or do anything about it for fear of being called a racist, bigot, sexist or any one of the many anti PC terms thrown about on college campuses like a dodge ball.

I had professors who asked people to come by their office to discuss their unending list of questions where they could be discussed at length.  Didn't disrupt the class.

What you are thinking is high school, where the teacher cannot put you off until later and you cannot be kicked out of the class on a permanent basis.  In college the teacher could easily decide that you are not functioning well and are a detriment to the class as a whole.  They might catch some flack for it, but as long as they articulate their reasons and can show cause, they can probably get away with it.

It really looks like her family is quite well off, though.  They may have paid for professors to help out one-on-one, or tutors to do the same.

You are really throwing out broad statements for which you have absolutely no background or experience and apparently less judgement.
Link Posted: 9/30/2011 7:24:00 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

They are no different than the academics that go to college for more 8 years.
Link Posted: 9/30/2011 7:35:49 PM EDT
[#13]
Down syndrome, or Down's syndrome (primarily in the United Kingdom), trisomy 21, is a chromosomal condition caused by the presence of all or part of an extra 21st chromosome

Mental characteristics

Most individuals with Down syndrome have intellectual disability in the mild (IQ 50–70) to moderate (IQ 35–50) range, with individuals having Mosaic Down syndrome typically 10–30 points higher.[url=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Down_syndrome#cite_note-26][27][/url]

Dr. Weihs notes the mental qualities of people with Down syndrome to be "unsexual," "playful," "affectionate," "mischievous" and "imitative".

Language skills show a difference between understanding speech and expressing speech, and commonly individuals with Down syndrome have a speech delay. Fine motor skills are delayed and often lag behind gross motor skills and can interfere with cognitive development. Effects of the condition on the development of gross motor skills are quite variable. Some children will begin walking at around 2 years of age, while others will not walk until age 4. Physical therapy, and/or participation in a program of adapted physical education (APE), may promote enhanced development of gross motor skills in Down syndrome children.

Link Posted: 9/30/2011 7:36:03 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

You have just entered a spot I hold close to my heart.

Having known a number of Down's people I have to say that I find their company a lot more desirable than many so-called 'normal' people.

These Down's people generally have a hell of a lot more social grace than is displayed by the majority of society.

Are they slow?

Damned right.

Slow to anger, slow to shit on someone, slow to try and cheat someone, slow to harm another creature and slow to feel sorry for themselves.

I recall one Down's kid in Ketchikan. I asked her "Doesn't this rainy weather get you depressed?"

She replied, "No. I just get wet."

Knocked my depression for a loop.

Link Posted: 9/30/2011 7:50:24 PM EDT
[#15]

It would appear that MSNBC is stretching the truth a tad...

Melissa, now 25, is successful by any measure. The college student is a speaker invited to inspire others around the country. She travels to represent the Down syndrome community internationally, and is a Special Olympian who brings home gold medals in skiing, cycling and swimming.

Meet Melissa Reilly

Melissa Reilly was born with Down syndrome. Instead of letting her life’s challenges hold her back, she confronts them head-on and turns them into dreams. Melissa enjoys training and competing in swimming, biking, running and skiing. Being an athlete has increased Melissa’s confidence. She prides herself on being equal to her peers and has strived for inclusion her entire life.

She was fully included in public education since kindergarten and is taking courses at a community college. She keeps a busy schedule and is currently interning for at her state senate office.   When not at school or training for her next competition, Melissa works to give back to Special Olympics as a Global Messenger, representing the organization at public events and sharing her story. Melissa and her family are grateful to Special Olympics for the incredible impact the organization has made on Melissa’s life.

When I came back home, I did a 2-year Job
Exploration Program and applied to Middlesex
Community College for their Transition Program.
I was accepted! That’s where I am right now.

Three days a week I take classes in computer
and clerical skills, and the other two days I do
my internship at the Saints Medical Center in
Lowell in the Patients Accounts Office.

Link Posted: 9/30/2011 7:52:56 PM EDT
[#16]
I have a GPA of potato
Link Posted: 9/30/2011 8:15:31 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Quoted:

You have just entered a spot I hold close to my heart.

Having known a number of Down's people I have to say that I find their company a lot more desirable than many so-called 'normal' people.

These Down's people generally have a hell of a lot more social grace than is displayed by the majority of society.

Are they slow?

Damned right.

Slow to anger, slow to shit on someone, slow to try and cheat someone, slow to harm another creature and slow to feel sorry for themselves.

I recall one Down's kid in Ketchikan. I asked her "Doesn't this rainy weather get you depressed?"

She replied, "No. I just get wet."

Knocked my depression for a loop.

Nobody said they weren't decent people, I and others questioned whether or not they should be in college.
Link Posted: 9/30/2011 8:29:17 PM EDT
[#18]
Scott

Downs comes in many levels from completely nonfunctional brain and body all the way to completely normal brain wise but physically having the characteristics.  the latter being called mosaic downs.

So it is possible to have downs, yet be completely functional in a normal learning capacity.
Link Posted: 9/30/2011 8:34:59 PM EDT
[#19]
Interdasting
Link Posted: 9/30/2011 8:46:18 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

By brother in law has mild down syndrome and is getting a "b" average in college right now. He had an "a" average in highschool. He may have problems and is very immature from a social viewpoint but he is smart and capable. Unfortunately his mother babied him and because of that he will probably never work.

That's good to hear. I can't say that I have ever personally met someone with high functioning down syndrome, but it is interesting to know that they run a spectrum.

The lucky ones have a mild form

Link Posted: 9/30/2011 8:48:09 PM EDT
[#21]

Link Posted: 9/30/2011 8:49:38 PM EDT
[#22]
I don't see a problem with these folks going to college. They are probably smarter than most of the athletes that go.
Link Posted: 9/30/2011 8:50:26 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
I don't see a problem with these folks going to college. They are probably smarter than most of the athletes that go.

quote for truth... not joking.

I have talked to some normal people that was like talking to a wall.. I have had great conversations with many downs kids LOL.

Link Posted: 9/30/2011 9:01:58 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Good job, man.

cerebral palsy doesn't have to affect higher function at all. I too know a guy with CP who went to law school and does brilliantly for himself. That profession tends to suit them perfectly.
Link Posted: 9/30/2011 9:05:20 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Then again maybe you're right, anyone who's parents can afford a degree deserves one. You be the first to go under and have a surgeon operate on you that can't even get the intricacies of one potato, two potato or how about fling on a plane worked on by one of these "winners". It's not like I'm advocating locking these people up but saying they can do anything and letting them do it just to prove how PC you are is ridiculous. There are lots of jobs they can do but none of them require a college degree nor should they.

I'll grant you these children will never earn a PhD in astrophysics, but I wouldn't be surprised if at least some of them were capable of learning to spell "flying".

Jane

Link Posted: 9/30/2011 9:23:14 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

Did you know the psychology professor I had freshman year?
Link Posted: 9/30/2011 9:31:10 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:I'll grant you these children will never earn a PhD in astrophysics, but I wouldn't be surprised if at least some of them were capable of learning to spell "flying".

Jane

LOLOL
Alternatively, he may be afraid of a broken bathroom door when he tries to make the mile high club.
Link Posted: 9/30/2011 9:34:57 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

How does a kid with down syndrome go to college and what does that say about our education standards?

Downs does not automatically mean "retarded".  There are high-functioning Downs who are just as intelligent –– if not more so –– than you.

Link Posted: 9/30/2011 9:38:05 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

By brother in law has mild down syndrome and is getting a "b" average in college right now. He had an "a" average in highschool. He may have problems and is very immature from a social viewpoint but he is smart and capable. Unfortunately his mother babied him and because of that he will probably never work.

That's good to hear. I can't say that I have ever personally met someone with high functioning down syndrome, but it is interesting to know that they run a spectrum.

The lucky ones have a mild form

Has mostly been covered but there are 3 different forms of DS.  And mentally they run the gamut of terribly slow mentally to almost completely "normal."  Considering I know "normal" people that have IQ's in the range that many people with DS have I don't have a problem with them attending college if they can pass the tests.  I can promise that the kid with DS will be more appreciative to be there than many others.

Guess I could add that yeah, I do love my child that has down syndrome.  Love my other two as well.
Link Posted: 9/30/2011 9:46:59 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Define "retard."

The community college I went to had a placement test to enter.  If the subject of the thread was able to pass a placement test to enter college, why the hell not?

It's like porn; you know it when you see it.     The weird kid down the street with mild autism/ Asperger's type symptoms probably doesn't fit the bill, but I have yet to meet anyone with Down's who didn't fit the old school, and popular, definition of retarded.

I think if kids with Down's are capable of earning a college diploma, we need to evaluate what that diploma means, because it sure as shit isn't celebrating higher learning.

People with handicaps are more capable than what you may think.

There is a huge difference between somebody like yourself and somebody with Down's Syndrome.

Link Posted: 9/30/2011 9:55:16 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

As an instructor at a community college, I have had several downs students. Some of them are just as bright as anyone else, some not so much. But there's plenty of people with the right number of chromosomes who can't master the concept of carrying the 1, so from the people who enroll in my community college, I'd say they're absolutely average. Of course, I'm sure the severely handicapped ones don't bother to enroll, but of the ones that do they are no worse on average.

+1.  I haven't had any Downs students yet, but they can't be any worse than the 4 or 5 bubble-headed lazy spoiled brats in my class each semester who register for the course but never bother to show up or do any work and who waste everyone's time and money.
Link Posted: 9/30/2011 10:20:35 PM EDT
[#32]
tagging this trainwreak

Link Posted: 9/30/2011 10:27:43 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
My cousin is a highly functioning Down Syndrome.  He's 29, and I think he's currently at a 5th or 6th grade education level.  When I see him doing work, I can tell it's a challenge.  He does it, and usually gets it right, but it isn't very easy for him.  

I can't honestly say I know how the whole school thing works for them.  I know he graduated high school, I just can't figure how.  I wanted to ask, but I didn't want to upset anyone.  He's married and lives alone [with the wife] now (under light supervision).  As far as his maturity and intelligence level, I'd say he's at about 13-15 years old.  

Not to be mean, but if being 29 and having the educational level of a 12 year old is "high functioning", then I also wonder what the hell they're doing at college.
Link Posted: 9/30/2011 11:01:26 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Well good for fucking you. I've got a cousin who has Downs. But you can still type better than he can. Should he get a "college degree"? Fuck all of this bullshit feel-good mentality.
Link Posted: 9/30/2011 11:01:33 PM EDT
[#35]
this thread is retarded.
Link Posted: 9/30/2011 11:25:35 PM EDT
[#36]
Oh yeah, this is going well.
Link Posted: 9/30/2011 11:34:53 PM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:

Quoted:

My cousin is a highly functioning Down Syndrome.  He's 29, and I think he's currently at a 5th or 6th grade education level.  When I see him doing work, I can tell it's a challenge.  He does it, and usually gets it right, but it isn't very easy for him.  

I can't honestly say I know how the whole school thing works for them.  I know he graduated high school, I just can't figure how.  I wanted to ask, but I didn't want to upset anyone.  He's married and lives alone [with the wife] now (under light supervision).  As far as his maturity and intelligence level, I'd say he's at about 13-15 years old.  

Not to be mean, but if being 29 and having the educational level of a 12 year old is "high functioning", then I also wonder what the hell they're doing at college.

I know several Down Syndrome people in the area here, and most of them are, if you'll excuse me, bumbling idiots walking around with their tongue hanging out, stumbling and drooling behind their "handler".  It's very sad, and I truly feel pity and sorrow for them.  My cousin's speech is barely what I would call "impaired".  He's very polite, fun to be around, and can do any daily activity or job that most anyone else can.  He's very creative, and very thoughtful.

Here's he and I about 17 years ago.

Link Posted: 9/30/2011 11:37:28 PM EDT
[#38]
Some ignorant people in this thread.
Link Posted: 10/1/2011 12:53:38 AM EDT
[#39]
Can't be any worse than the people I went to college with.

I thought they had brain slugs.
Link Posted: 10/1/2011 12:56:59 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
College diplomas should not be participation trophies.

Yeah, I'm sure the down's syndrome kid with the honorary degree is really diluting the value of your top-dollar ivy league degree. Whatever.
Link Posted: 10/1/2011 1:01:41 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
this thread is retarded.

Lulz

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 10/1/2011 4:30:56 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Why can't this person attend a community college?

No reason. If he enrolled in the Criminal Justice program at Bergen Community he'd be valedictorian.
Link Posted: 10/1/2011 4:33:53 AM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I know several Down Syndrome people in the area here, and most of them are, if you'll excuse me, bumbling idiots walking around with their tongue hanging out, stumbling and drooling behind their "handler".  It's very sad, and I truly feel pity and sorrow for them.  My cousin's speech is barely what I would call "impaired".  He's very polite, fun to be around, and can do any daily activity or job that most anyone else can.  He's very creative, and very thoughtful.

Here's he and I about 17 years ago.

http://img6.imageshack.us/img6/6107/remandkrism.jpg

That's a great pic' man.

Link Posted: 10/1/2011 4:39:55 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

underwater basket weaving? (insert useless and worthless degree here) just so the College can get more tuition. sure the downs person will have a degree that he can never use (to make money) and the college is $40,000 richer, it's a feel good win-win.
Link Posted: 10/1/2011 4:43:19 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
You guys are getting physical condition and motivation quite confused.

The human mind and body is quite capable of amazing things, and conversely quite capable of some extremely horrific things...

Either way, I've seen paralyzed people learn to walk...

The body can and does heal itself, for those with a neurological issue, I think it's a little healing and a lot of adaptation.

Anyway, everyone deserves a chance, meet the requirements, do the work...

key phrase meet the requirements (not lower the standards to meet the lowest common denominator)
Link Posted: 10/1/2011 4:45:58 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Good job, man.

CP cannot be compared to Downs.  CP is primarily a physical disability and the intellectual abilities are just about as wide ranging as the general population....plenty of retards.

Link Posted: 10/1/2011 4:47:35 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
Quoted:

They already do.. College Athletes...
Link Posted: 10/1/2011 5:24:13 AM EDT
[#48]

My work has a problem that hired challenged people for housekeeping duties.  They range from being mildly impaired to apparently pretty severely impaired.  Here is the funny thing, they work harder than 75% of the "normal" people that work there.  Good people and I am glad they are allowed to participate in the workforce.

I am assuming everyone surprised retarded people are allowed into college have never been there yourself?  
Link Posted: 10/1/2011 7:33:31 AM EDT
[#49]
The downs girl in the OP is going to community college 3 days a week studying office computer tech.

Being an olympic athlete obviously cuts into her Ivy league study time
Link Posted: 10/1/2011 8:03:55 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
Jane Lynch asks that you not used the word "retard"

Very well. I shall soon de-advance the spark on my automobile.
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top