Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 7
Link Posted: 8/18/2017 12:18:59 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I pass on the right all the time. Let's be honest, if you aren't going 10-15mph over the speed limit on the freeway/highway/interstate then you are the problem. If you are going to do the speed limit just do us all a favor and stick to surface streets.
View Quote
Once again, read in full.

This thread is not about left lane campers.

There is a distinct difference between hogging the left lane for miles and hogging it for 10-20 seconds to pass.
Link Posted: 8/18/2017 12:19:08 AM EDT
[#2]
Threads like this make me want to drive a Bro dozer 1mph over the limit and leave 1ft of my passenger tire on the center line.  Just the off chance I can royally fucking piss a arfcommer off.  And as you zoom up the highway I change lanes on you.  Don't like it? Feel free to slam into my steel bumper.

I'm with you OP, instead of waiting the 10 seconds it takes for you to pull back over, they weave in traffic.
Link Posted: 8/18/2017 12:19:39 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
I totally disagree. If someone has room to pass you on the right you shouldn't be in the left lane. What pisses me off is having to pass people on the right because they are taking their sweet time in the left lane.
View Quote
Yep. Left lane campers (not lumping you in that category, OP) should be publicly flogged . . .

Every day for a month.
Link Posted: 8/18/2017 12:19:44 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
OP, add a poll.

1. OP is the driver's ed instructor America needs!

2. FU OP
View Quote
Not OP but I will say when I find myself in OP's situation(which is extremely rare as I find a happy home around 85mph) I will usually signal before I actually complete the pass to let the guy behind me know that I am going to move over as soon as it is safe to do so.
Link Posted: 8/18/2017 12:20:01 AM EDT
[#5]
I had a feeling this wouldn't go as planned
Link Posted: 8/18/2017 12:20:28 AM EDT
[#6]
If they're tailgating, I just take my foot off the gas.

If they're courteous, and give me reasonable space and time to pass, without zooming up and riding my ass to in an effort to bully me out of the way with their Dodge Ram (that has the ginormous, but functionally useless, chrome grill), then I'll politely move over when it's appropriate to do so. 
Link Posted: 8/18/2017 12:20:31 AM EDT
[#7]
One should not be able to pass on the right.

In my state it's not illegal to pass on the right, so I will continue to do it daily until the motoring public follows the law and makes that impossible.

Even if it was illegal, I would probably still do it if that's the fastest way around the moron blocking the passing lane.
Link Posted: 8/18/2017 12:21:06 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Are you using your blinker or not?  Sounds like you're not.
View Quote
I use my blinker a second or so before I begin to merge.

Most of the time it's a fairly fluid motion. After I've gotten 30 or so feet in front of the vehicle I am passing, I bump the signal and merge back over. Anybody behind me then just keeps on going.

In these cases, when I go to bump my blinker and look in my mirror, the person has already started to merge into the right lane.
Link Posted: 8/18/2017 12:21:27 AM EDT
[#9]
Here's a pro tip.

Get away from other drivers as fast as you can not as slow as you can.  If you're going to pass someone mash that pedal and distance yourself.

Keeping someone parked behind or next to a semi is dangerous. Every cracked windshield I've had has been from a truck or semi.
Link Posted: 8/18/2017 12:21:59 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
I'll climb off the dogpile for a second to ask a legitimate question:

When in your diagram do you begin signalling?

I think you would have a better time of things if you were to begin signalling earlier, so as to reduce the anxiety of leadfoots like myself coming up behind you.
View Quote
I turn mine on halfway through the pass. It's usually taken as a challenge and causes the idiot behind me to race me to the right lane.
Link Posted: 8/18/2017 12:22:51 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Threads like this make me want to drive a Bro dozer 1mph over the limit and leave 1ft of my passenger tire on the center line.  Just the off chance I can royally fucking piss a arfcommer off.  And as you zoom up the highway I change lanes on you.  Don't like it? Feel free to slam into my steel bumper.
View Quote
I can move faster than your type in every available axis, so game on

Link Posted: 8/18/2017 12:22:55 AM EDT
[#12]
I can only imagine how the op looks like a fast lane stone in the river a fast moving cars. As he mutters to himself about all these assholes being in a hurry.
Link Posted: 8/18/2017 12:25:08 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
The OP is really going to be triggered by this video from my dashcam.  There is no law that says you have to pass on the left.  I go through traffic, where ever there is an opening.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=42HEvuP9bVA

To trigger the OP even more, here is my 400 mile drive in 3 minutes video.  Look how many cars I pass on the right because they are going too slow.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T9eT7cXtPLg
View Quote
Once again, not relevant to the OP.

Please read in full, beyond just "passing on the right", and understand the context of what it means.
Link Posted: 8/18/2017 12:27:29 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Here's a pro tip.

Get away from other drivers as fast as you can not as slow as you can.  If you're going to pass someone mash that pedal and distance yourself.

Keeping someone parked behind or next to a semi is dangerous. Every cracked windshield I've had has been from a truck or semi.
View Quote
Going 5-7 mph faster than the semi results in a passing time of 8-10 seconds.

Doesn't seem that slow.
Link Posted: 8/18/2017 12:30:51 AM EDT
[#15]
I go with the flow of the traffic.

If my lane is faster than the one on the left so be it.  

Sure in the hell not going to slow down to the speed of the left lane...
Link Posted: 8/18/2017 12:32:53 AM EDT
[#16]
Fuck you Opie. If you are getting passed on the right you are the fucking tard
Link Posted: 8/18/2017 12:36:29 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
I can only imagine how the op looks like a fast lane stone in the river a fast moving cars. As he mutters to himself about all these assholes being in a hurry.
View Quote
Link Posted: 8/18/2017 12:37:01 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Most of the time it's a fairly fluid motion. After I've gotten 30 or so feet in front of the vehicle I am passing, I bump the signal and merge back over. Anybody behind me then just keeps on going.

In these cases, when I go to bump my blinker and look in my mirror, the person has already started to merge into the right lane.
View Quote
Your turn signal is supposed to tell people what you are going to do, not clarify what you are currently doing.......
Link Posted: 8/18/2017 12:41:09 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

Simply not true. But whatever you say.

I try to follow the left lane/right lane rules as best as I can. The entire nature of this thread are the people who pass on the right before I have a chance to get over. It's not like it happens every time I drive, but it happens enough that it pisses me off because it is so dangerous yet so preventable.

Not only is the car cutting off the vehicle that we both just passed, there is then the risk that as they try to zoom around me on the right so quickly, we end up hitting each other.

You are conflating left lane camping, which yes is a pain the pass and then passing on the right is no big deal; with right lane passing before the vehicle ahead of you has had a chance to get back over.
View Quote
I don't think "cutting off" means what you think it means...
Link Posted: 8/18/2017 12:42:24 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

View Quote
If you're waiting until after you're clear of the vehicle in the right lane to signal, it's too long.  They've already punched the gas and started the pass before you've checked your mirror.  Might have their blinker on too.
Link Posted: 8/18/2017 12:44:29 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
If there's room to pass on the right and you haven't moved over yet I don't blame them.

Get the hell out of the fast lane.
View Quote
This.  Fucking left lane camper.
Link Posted: 8/18/2017 12:45:48 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
View Quote
I think people really aren't understanding what I'm saying.

They are thinking "left lane hogger" and it's blinding them to the reality.

My post was specifically about aggressive drivers who shift lanes with little room to spare.

The reason "passing on the right" comes into play here is because a person who is in the left/passing lane and has just passed a vehicle is likely to get back over. Shifting into the right lane before that driver has a safe and reasonable opportunity to get back over is simple a dangerous maneuver.
Link Posted: 8/18/2017 12:46:19 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
If there's room to pass on the right and you haven't moved over yet I don't blame them.

Get the hell out of the fast lane.
View Quote

GET OUT OF THE WAY, your the problem.
Link Posted: 8/18/2017 12:46:42 AM EDT
[#24]
Thread is full of dumbasses.

No wonder so many people die in auto accidents every year.
Link Posted: 8/18/2017 12:49:14 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
If you're waiting until after you're clear of the vehicle in the right lane to signal, it's too long.  They've already punched the gas and started the pass before you've checked your mirror.  Might have their blinker on too.
View Quote
No, it's not. I'm not getting over while I'm passing the vehicle. I'm getting over after I've passed the vehicle.

Being mr hotshot and gunning it around the lead passer soon as you get the chance is going to get you killed.
Link Posted: 8/18/2017 12:51:03 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

a person who is in the left/passing lane and has just passed a vehicle is likely to get back over.
View Quote
Have you been driving long?

Your actual position is a lot easier to swallow than the premise of this thread, btw.
Link Posted: 8/18/2017 12:51:21 AM EDT
[#27]
Passing should be an aggressive maneuver, none of this 1mph faster let me ease on past you for 5 minutes. Speed up and get over OP
Link Posted: 8/18/2017 12:51:49 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Thread is full of dumbasses.

No wonder so many people die in auto accidents every year.
View Quote
No shit, I really can't believe some of the responses here.

Either people are trolling or they are going to see a body bag one day if they really drive like they speak.
Link Posted: 8/18/2017 12:55:09 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Fuck you, I'll do whatever I want.
View Quote
This. And get your slow ass out of the left lane.

m
Link Posted: 8/18/2017 12:55:50 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

Have you been driving long?

Your actual position is a lot easier to swallow than the premise of this thread, btw.
View Quote
Of course I am not saying you can never pass on the right.

But I provided in the OP context of what exactly I was referring to.

Yet there are still people who think if I don't get back over as soon as I'm a foot in front of the bumper of the car I passed then all bets are off.
Link Posted: 8/18/2017 12:58:22 AM EDT
[#31]
Its called pass with authority... If the semi is going 55 you probably go 57 to pass. Its called the accelerator, just cause you like good MPG in your prius does not mean we don't have somewhere to go grandpa,
Link Posted: 8/18/2017 12:58:29 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

I don't think "cutting off" means what you think it means...
View Quote
Shifting lanes in front of someone with very little room to spare is indeed cutting someone off.

There doesn't have to be a speed differential.
Link Posted: 8/18/2017 12:59:46 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

No, it's not. I'm not getting over while I'm passing the vehicle. I'm getting over after I've passed the vehicle.

Being mr hotshot and gunning it around the lead passer soon as you get the chance is going to get you killed.
View Quote
You signal intent, not your current action. The guy passing on your right may not pass Defensive Driving, but you wouldn't pass Driver's Ed.
Link Posted: 8/18/2017 1:01:26 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
I try to follow the left lane/right lane rules as best as I can. The entire nature of this thread are the people who pass on the right before I have a chance to get over. It's not like it happens every time I drive, but it happens enough that it pisses me off because it is so dangerous yet so preventable.

Not only is the car cutting off the vehicle that we both just passed, there is then the risk that as they try to zoom around me on the right so quickly, we end up hitting each other.

You are conflating left lane camping, which yes is a pain the pass and then passing on the right is no big deal; with right lane passing before the vehicle ahead of you has had a chance to get back over.
View Quote
That's called a clue, that you're doin' it wrong. If they can get over, then you could have gotten over.

Put your blinker on sooner, accelerate around the vehicle you're passing to put some distance between you, and move over quicker to get the fuck out of the way. You can do it OP, we know you can.
Link Posted: 8/18/2017 1:03:27 AM EDT
[#35]
Left lane campers deserve death.

That is all.
Link Posted: 8/18/2017 1:03:31 AM EDT
[#36]
Move over grandpa.  
Link Posted: 8/18/2017 1:03:40 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Fuck you, I'll do whatever I want.
View Quote
Pretty much this....

There is what everyone is supposed to do to keep traffic flowing safely and there is what actually works in a world full of self-indulgent retards who couldn't recite any three basic highway rules.

My rules are: Keep your head on a swivel and maintain constant awareness of everything in sight, both front and rear.

I calculate my moves and reactions for benefit myself and the drivers around me and to a much lesser extent, for the ever present inattentive or otherwise idiotic drivers whose behavior is a detriment to the smooth and safe flow of traffic.
Link Posted: 8/18/2017 1:04:02 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
There is a distinct difference between hogging the left lane for miles and hogging it for 10-20 seconds to pass.
View Quote
Only to you, gramps.
Link Posted: 8/18/2017 1:11:51 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

Oh my lord.

If Im going 75 mph I am going 110 feet per second.

If the vehicle I am passing is going 70, they are going about 102 feet per second.

Which means that If I leave, at a minimum, 2 of my truck lengths it is only going to take me FOUR SECONDS to clear the vehicle I am passing sufficiently and start to merge back over.

4 SECONDS.
View Quote
4 Seconds?  Your math skills suck as bad as your driving skills apparently.
Average 18 wheeler: 80 feet
Average pickup: 20 feet

You'll move into the passing lane with 2 truck lengths to go from the bumper of the 18 wheeler: 40 feet
The 18 wheeler is 80 feet long (120 feet to cover so far)
You wait another 2 truck lengths before getting back over (another 40 feet, now at 160 feet of total "passing")
Closure rate is 7.333 ft/sec, which means it takes you 22 seconds to execute the pass, not 4 seconds.

In 22 seconds, you've covered 2,420 feet, just shy of 1/2 mile.

Now let's assume you are passing the average sedan (15 feet):
Still have the same passing buffer (40+40), so now a total of 95 feet of "passing" at 7.333 ft/sec, which means nearly 13 seconds to pass the average sedan with a 5 MPH differential.

It's taking 3 times longer to execute the pass than you think it is.
Link Posted: 8/18/2017 1:15:13 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

Please read in full, beyond just "passing on the right", and understand the context of what it means.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
The OP is really going to be triggered by this video from my dashcam.  There is no law that says you have to pass on the left.  I go through traffic, where ever there is an opening.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=42HEvuP9bVA

To trigger the OP even more, here is my 400 mile drive in 3 minutes video.  Look how many cars I pass on the right because they are going too slow.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T9eT7cXtPLg

I did read your posts.  You pass in the left and get pissed when someone faster swoops in and passes you on the right, like I did many times in my videos.  I usually give people 4 seconds to either put on their turn signal or start to move.  If there is enough room for me to pass them on the right then there was more than enough room for them to get over.  
Link Posted: 8/18/2017 1:16:41 AM EDT
[#41]
Here, read this-
http://law.justia.com/codes/georgia/2010/title-40/chapter-6/article-6/40-6-123

Pay special attention to-
No person shall so turn any vehicle without giving an  appropriate and timely signal in the manner provided in this Code  section.

(b)  A signal of intention to turn  right or left or change lanes when
required shall be given continuously  for a time sufficient to alert the driver of a vehicle proceeding from  the rear in the same direction or a driver of a vehicle approaching from  the opposite direction.
View Quote
Do you think 1 second is enough? How many times does your blinker blink in 1 second? The  driver behind you can easily miss that while dutifully checking their mirrors/looking to ensure they have clearance to move in front of the vehicle in the right lane.
Link Posted: 8/18/2017 1:16:44 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

My post was specifically about aggressive drivers who shift lanes with little room to spare.

The reason "passing on the right" comes into play here is because a person who is in the left/passing lane and has just passed a vehicle is likely to get back over. Shifting into the right lane before that driver has a safe and reasonable opportunity to get back over is simple a dangerous maneuver.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

You're a slow reacting lazy passive driver.
Link Posted: 8/18/2017 1:18:05 AM EDT
[#43]
My traffic annoyance for this week is the idiot that tries to pass merging traffic at an on ramp.

Truck in front of me, me, impatient BMW behind us. Truck merges into 65 mph traffic at ~65, BMW jumps into travel lane, guns it, refuses to move out of the slow lane and blocks both truck and I from merging safely.

WTF is this shit?!?!
Link Posted: 8/18/2017 1:19:55 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

View Quote
This is where your argument falls apart.  You claim you are driving faster than the car in front of you, so you pass.  But then some how you continue blocking the left lane while there is plenty of room on the right for another car to get over in front of the vehicle you just passed...but for some reason you can't.  If other faster driving vehicles, further behind you, can get over to the right, then why can't you?  You are already going faster than the car on the right and there would be at least 2 vehicle lengths of space between your rear bumper and the car you just passed.  Seems like if you saw a car coming up fast behind you that you could signal and get over.  That is what I do when I find myself in that situation.
Link Posted: 8/18/2017 1:21:22 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
Brake checking them is fun but dangerous.
View Quote
It's more of an old 80's street racing trick...but I've heard tell that some people have a momentary switch on their shifter that activates the brake lights.
Link Posted: 8/18/2017 1:23:15 AM EDT
[#46]
People going too slow in the left lane causes right lane passing.
Link Posted: 8/18/2017 1:23:22 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

I don't care if they want to drive faster than me.

I care that when I'm trying to pass, they try to pass me in the travel lane before I even have a chance to get back over.

It's a simple concept.
View Quote
Maybe if you put your blinker on as you were almost done passing, they'd anticipate your intention.
Link Posted: 8/18/2017 1:26:37 AM EDT
[#48]

I feel this is appropriate.
Link Posted: 8/18/2017 1:27:53 AM EDT
[#49]
Drive to work at 2am with no traffic. Compare it to how long it takes in rush hour. It won't be as big a difference as you all think. Oh, who am I kidding? You left lane racers aren't smart enough to figure out the time difference.
Link Posted: 8/18/2017 1:28:04 AM EDT
[#50]
If you camp the left lane and brake check people, then you have a huge ego issue. Deserve to get rear ended and get ejected out of your windshield, and your mangled body sent flying off the side of a overpass, while we laugh at you.
Page / 7
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top