Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 7
Link Posted: 6/28/2014 5:06:08 PM EDT
[#1]
So.... The deck that I had Home Depot cut appears to be just a little too wide...

Out comes the Table saw*

*-Table Saw/Storage Bench/Shelving unit/I really hate it when I have to dig this thing out...
Link Posted: 6/28/2014 5:35:01 PM EDT
[#2]
PPL Motorhomes in Houston was cheapest I could find.

https://www.pplmotorhomes.com/parts/rv-jacks/c-series-jacks-bal.htm

I brain dumped and ordered 2 footprint pads. Two per order, so I have 4 now. Let me know if you want a set.
Link Posted: 6/28/2014 7:20:01 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

I brain dumped and ordered 2 footprint pads. Two per order, so I have 4 now. Let me know if you want a set.
View Quote

D'oh!

I've been thinking about jacks for the back, but haven't done anything, mainly 'cause I'm trying not to spend any more money right now.  

Got a bunch of pics to dump, so you'll see 'em shortly. Mostly from last week.
Link Posted: 6/28/2014 8:16:37 PM EDT
[#4]
I'll take pics in a few days. Plan to mount the jacks tomorrow. Ran into issues with my propane line. Evidently high pressure fittings is a factory only type thing. I may have to just run a continuous line through the wall, although I'd really rather not.
Link Posted: 6/28/2014 8:32:50 PM EDT
[#5]
Ok, old pic from last week. Basically all I got done then was the fiberglass cutting. That kinda freaks you out, here you are cutting on a brand new part that you just paid a lot of money for.

Anyway, here is one of the pieces.  You can see the notch in the bottom, I had to make another in the top. (That's why there's tape up there)

I didn't get much done that weekend, and the box with the fiberglass had moved faster than the box with the fittings - I didn't get them until this week.

I had mocked up the tub in a previous post, so I went to put it together with my floor. And the bastard didn't fit. So I got out the table saw and took as little as I could off one side. It fits now.

Pulled the floor out and put some Thompson's water seal on it.  It'll get further coated, but I wanted this down as a base layer.

Tomorrow, I'll assemble the tub. Then it's on to paint.
Link Posted: 6/29/2014 1:18:39 AM EDT
[#6]
Do you plan on using bed liner?

Link Posted: 6/29/2014 12:12:14 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Do you plan on using bed liner?

View Quote

Yup, that's the plan. Was going to use Herculiner; it gets decent reviews and isn't too expensive.
Link Posted: 6/30/2014 2:01:51 PM EDT
[#8]
This is a cool project.
Link Posted: 7/4/2014 4:33:07 PM EDT
[#9]
Here's the tub fully assembled. This was actually last weekend.

Then I got a buddy to help me put it up on Sawhorses. It sat there all week, just sucking up Garage space, until I painted it this AM.

It's not great, but it'll do. It's rattle-can Duplicolor.
Link Posted: 7/4/2014 8:30:00 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

https://fbcdn-sphotos-f-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-xpa1/t1.0-9/q77/s720x720/10533435_10103859106631271_1146194722398685312_n.jpg

Then I got a buddy to help me put it up on Sawhorses. It sat there all week, just sucking up Garage space, until I painted it this AM.

https://scontent-b-dfw.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xpf1/t1.0-9/q73/s720x720/10411861_10103859106845841_1345094766215877569_n.jpg

View Quote

That Duplicolor is good stuff.  I found a primer color that makes the Duplicolor (sold at local auto parts store!) damn near the same as my Jeep.   As soon as the build is done, paint time. I'll do it myself unless Earl Schieb will

This week I got the leveling jacks done. With the extra length I can get the trailer high enough to change a tire.
Stove is mounted, propane line ran. Food drawers came in, just need to modify a little bit.
I wired in a 7blad plug for the trailer. Extra conductors will let me use one of the 10ga wires to charge the trailer battery from the Jeep. I used a continuous duty solenoid, with a switch in the cab to control. Set up so trailer battery can only be connected to main battery when the jeep is on. That way i cant possibly drain batteries and get stranded.

I have tomorrow and sunday off, so more time to work. I'll take pictures of progress Sunday and post them.

I cant wait to see your's rolling!
Link Posted: 7/5/2014 12:20:42 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

That Duplicolor is good stuff.  I found a primer color that makes the Duplicolor (sold at local auto parts store!) damn near the same as my Jeep.   As soon as the build is done, paint time. I'll do it myself unless Earl Schieb will

This week I got the leveling jacks done. With the extra length I can get the trailer high enough to change a tire.
Stove is mounted, propane line ran. Food drawers came in, just need to modify a little bit.
I wired in a 7blad plug for the trailer. Extra conductors will let me use one of the 10ga wires to charge the trailer battery from the Jeep. I used a continuous duty solenoid, with a switch in the cab to control. Set up so trailer battery can only be connected to main battery when the jeep is on. That way i cant possibly drain batteries and get stranded.

I have tomorrow and sunday off, so more time to work. I'll take pictures of progress Sunday and post them.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

https://fbcdn-sphotos-f-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-xpa1/t1.0-9/q77/s720x720/10533435_10103859106631271_1146194722398685312_n.jpg

https://scontent-b-dfw.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xpf1/t1.0-9/q73/s720x720/10411861_10103859106845841_1345094766215877569_n.jpg

Yeah, I'm not going anywhere near as complex as yours, but I also camp with big groups that I don't want around my trailer (translation: They stay up later than me. )

Tomorrow I've got to weld in another crossmember to the trailer. I could have modified the brackets that came with the tub, but it's easier to mod the trailer, so that's what I'm gonna do. But I've got to go retrieve my grinder from a friend first (one more day and I would have had it back, BBQ at his place tomorrow night - he just borrowed it the other day when he helped me put the tub on the sawhorses).

Then the tub will get dropped on the trailer. It technically has rolled already, when it went to get it's tags, but it'll be useable then.

Look forward to seeing your pictures!
Link Posted: 7/5/2014 6:42:51 PM EDT
[#12]
First order of business this AM was to weld a new crossmember into the frame (to line up with the holes on the tailgate bracket).

That done, I had to figure out how to get the tub off the sawhorses and onto the trailer frame. All my neighbors are out of town for the weekend, and I had a little trouble scaring up some help, so I ended up pulling the trailer up under the sawhorses and caaaaarefully tipped the tub down onto it. Worked pretty well.

It's just sitting there in this pic.

I haven't totally bolted it down yet, but there are 4 holding it on right now (the forward 4 eye-bolts from when it was a flatbed).

Then I tipped it down onto it's tongue and mounted the tailgate. That was, to put it lightly, not as easy as I thought it would be. But it's done.

I also painted the fenders, which you can see just to the right in that last picture. They'll probably go on tomorrow.
Link Posted: 7/5/2014 6:46:35 PM EDT
[#13]
Looks awesome, but funny without the fenders
Link Posted: 7/5/2014 7:16:19 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Looks awesome, but funny without the fenders
View Quote

Agreed.

Tomorrow.
Link Posted: 7/5/2014 8:56:11 PM EDT
[#15]
Looking good. Amazing how a little step makes a huge difference.

I didnt touch mine today. Did buy a few thins at the hardware store though. I'll get to it in the morning.
Link Posted: 7/6/2014 6:00:31 PM EDT
[#16]
Ok, we're rolling, even got a test tow in.

First order of business was to finish securing the floor. I used 1/2-20 self-tapping trailer deck screws. No pics, 'cause, well, that was boring. Also secured the bracket that holds on the back door to the crossmember I welded in yesterday. It worked perfectly, just like I thought it would. (Which so rarely happens in real life)

I also had to put a shim in the front/back to fill the gap caused by the C-channel frame. I used 5.2mm Plywood with a quick paint job. Really wanted to use steel, but couldn't find any wide enough. In AZ, I think it will hold up, but I'll have to keep an eye on it just in case.

Then I mounted the fenders. I took one into Ace, and lo-and-behold, a piece of 1.5" plated angle lined up perfectly with the holes on the fender. That saved me having to fab something up.

Painted and hung on the trailer:

Then I ran out for a quick test-tow. (I really do need to get some better pictures of the paint job. It's not bad. I need to wash the Jeep to be really sure how close it is, though. )

Verdict: It tows straight, but it's VERY light. It needs ballast (there was nothing in it at all) to keep it firmly on the ground.

Link Posted: 7/6/2014 6:12:36 PM EDT
[#17]
needs a pintle hitch
Link Posted: 7/6/2014 6:20:42 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
needs a pintle hitch
View Quote

It's getting a Lock-n-Roll instead.

Link Posted: 7/6/2014 6:24:19 PM EDT
[#19]
Nice!

Patriot blue?  That's what color my XJ was
Link Posted: 7/6/2014 6:28:11 PM EDT
[#20]
Looks great!
Link Posted: 7/6/2014 6:31:14 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Nice!

Patriot blue?  That's what color my XJ was
View Quote

Yup!

They've changed the name of the color at least. The current 'True Blue' is at least pretty close to the old Patriot Blue. I almost bought a Grand Cherokee in that color a few months back (to replace my DD, not my Jeep), but decided not to.
Link Posted: 7/6/2014 6:31:33 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Looks great!
View Quote

Thanks!
Link Posted: 7/6/2014 9:04:08 PM EDT
[#23]
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
needs a pintle hitch

https://locknroll.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/03/New-LNR-Animation-273-x-205.gif

Much better. I use an older version, but still Lock N Roll, with roll limiter.

Are you going to size the trailer tires  the same as the Jeep? I did that, levels it out, and one spare fits all

Not  much progress here today. Started cutting the drawers, and got the trailer electrics changed over to the 7 blade system.  A few little things also. I have a check list of things that need to get done, and slowly crossing them off.  Wife unexpectedly ran off for the weekend. I need her help to move the hard top which is blocking the trailer in the garage, so no pics until Tuesday when she comes home. Need to get it out to check safety chain length at jack knife too.

Link Posted: 7/6/2014 9:07:46 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

Are you going to size the trailer tires  the same as the Jeep? I did that, levels it out, and one spare fits all

Not  much progress here today. Started cutting the drawers, and got the trailer electrics changed over to the 7 blade system.  A few little things also. I have a check list of things that need to get done, and slowly crossing them off.  Wife unexpectedly ran off for the weekend. I need her help to move the hard top which is blocking the trailer in the garage, so no pics until Tuesday when she comes home. Need to get it out to check safety chain length at jack knife too.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
needs a pintle hitch

https://locknroll.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/03/New-LNR-Animation-273-x-205.gif

I thought about buying the current roll-limiter version, but they don't have nearly the available mounting options.

The plan, eventually, is to run the same size tires as the Jeep. But these Cherokee tires are in pretty good shape, and I've got a set of 31's I could put on, too (but older than the Cherokee tires).  So for now I'm going to run them and carry an extra spare.
Link Posted: 7/8/2014 9:16:13 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

Register your trailer in Maine for $21 for two years via mail, super easy and no messing around with inspections or whatever.

Kharn
View Quote

You're the man!  A call to Maine and I had a packet mailed to me. Two easy forms mailed off with $21. I got my 2 year Maine plate in the mail yesterday
Link Posted: 7/9/2014 2:35:14 PM EDT
[#26]
Love it!!!

I may have to start one this fall.
Link Posted: 7/9/2014 7:06:56 PM EDT
[#27]
Made a little more progress. Figured out the 7 blade wiring colors are not the same as 4 pin. colors way different, so my lights were all jacked up. Got that fixed today.

Here's what we have so far.

My older lock-n-roll.

Propane tank mount. I couldnt get anyone to even respond to making a custom hose with bulkhead fittings to pass through the wall, so I cut a big enough hole and put bushings and grommets. White dot in upper right is my water fill. Uses standard water hose.

Distribution block. Switched power comes here, then to device. I did this instead of direct routing in case i change things, and it was much easier to install the switch panel once, instead of every time I wire something in. Also seen is my ghetto rigged ground bus.

Stove in the stowed position. Still need something to hold it still in transport.

Showing the slider and hinge the stove rides on.

The switch panel. Each switch is fused in the panel. Fuses accessible from the front, just remove the face and waterproof cover. Labels for each circuit light up when device is on. Came with a bunch of different labels, all boat related. I found a few to use.

Leveling jacks. I had to put a plate across the back end of the frame to mount the jacks on. As shown the jacks will get high enough to lift the tires off the ground. No need to pull out a jack to change the tire. This is not fully extended. The jacks use a 3/4 socket, as do all my lug nuts. I use a 4-way for easy and fast work here. I changed the handle of the tongue jack to a 3/4 nut also.    This lets me carry it inverted and still have ground clearance unless i get serious off road, then I'll pull  it off.

My water output. the blue flex line unscrews for transport, and I have a cap to cover the spigot. Flex holds the water where I want it. I plan to use a sink sprayer on a 6 foot hose as a shower. It will screw on in place of the flex line.

The drawers. Racks are done, still building the drawers. They will eventually get lids.

Seems like not much, but everythign takes forever when you are being assaulted by mosquitos constantly.
Link Posted: 7/10/2014 8:39:51 PM EDT
[#28]
Nice update Maggiethecat. Nice to see that it's moving along.

Has anyone ever ordered a Lock-n-Roll before? It's coming up on a week, and my order status is still 'pending'.
Link Posted: 7/10/2014 9:42:02 PM EDT
[#29]
Never ordered one. I got mine used off ExPo.
Try asking on ExPo, as I know a bunch of people there have them. Although you will get people telling you to get MaxCoupler instead.

I had an update from Autohome, the shipment will arrive Sunday the 20th, and mine should be shipped to me July 22. I figure a week to get from WA to TX. Should have my tent mounted by the end of the month! Looks like  I better figure out how to do it!
Link Posted: 7/11/2014 4:44:31 PM EDT
[#30]
Got my Leveling jacks in today (Not the same ones as Maggiethecat):

They are NOT connected, they're standalone. I still need to figure out how to mount them, option #1 didn't work out.

I also put a cooler rack up front. It's 3-bolts to remove, so it can come off for tighter trails if necessary.

No sign of my Trailer Hitch. In the actual order screen on Lock-n-rolls website it says pending, but in the summary screen it says shipped. I E-mailed them a few minutes ago.
Link Posted: 7/11/2014 5:18:08 PM EDT
[#31]
Wonder about it's delivery, and it shall appear!

Link Posted: 7/11/2014 8:26:44 PM EDT
[#32]
I tried those jacks, but shorter. I couldnt find the long ones you have. While easy to use and handy,  I found it to be flimsy do to the in-line mounting bolts not preventing any lateral movement. Would also be nice if they came with the rod for extending them.

I like the cooler rack too!
Link Posted: 7/11/2014 8:35:41 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
I tried those jacks, but shorter. I couldnt find the long ones you have. While easy to use and handy,  I found it to be flimsy do to the in-line mounting bolts not preventing any lateral movement. Would also be nice if they came with the rod for extending them.

I like the cooler rack too!
View Quote

Compact Camping sells the long jacks. $80ish shipped to me. I'm going to have to rethink my mounting options, but I'm pretty sure they'll work for what I'm going to do.

The cooler rack is actually an 'ATV Hitch Rack' from Harbor Freight. I just used the Rack part. $38 with the normal HF 20% off coupon.

Towed the trailer a little bit around town with the new hitch. Still needs ballast.  The Lock-n-Roll is longer than the previous ball hitch, by quite a bit, and now my safety chains are too short. D'oh.  I was only hooked up on one side while towing.

I think I'm going to try these Masterlock coiled safety cables. They're supposed to be 40" stretched out, which oughta be long enough.

Link Posted: 7/11/2014 8:55:23 PM EDT
[#34]
I hadnt seen those coiled cables before. I like it. If i needed chains I'd be getting those.
Link Posted: 7/11/2014 9:16:21 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
I hadnt seen those coiled cables before. I like it. If i needed chains I'd be getting those.
View Quote

$16. They're on the way.

And speaking of stuff you may not have seen -

Thinking about buying one of those to mount a Propane tank on. Might work well on your tongue. $37
Link Posted: 7/11/2014 9:21:46 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Never ordered one. I got mine used off ExPo.
Try asking on ExPo, as I know a bunch of people there have them. Although you will get people telling you to get MaxCoupler instead.

I had an update from Autohome, the shipment will arrive Sunday the 20th, and mine should be shipped to me July 22. I figure a week to get from WA to TX. Should have my tent mounted by the end of the month! Looks like  I better figure out how to do it!
View Quote

Please post pics and a review  of the airtop when it arrives.  I've been thinking about one to mount on top of my bantam trailer.
Link Posted: 7/11/2014 9:46:45 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Towed the trailer a little bit around town with the new hitch. Still needs ballast. [img]http://www.ar15.com/images/smilies/smiley_abused.gif[/img
View Quote

Needs shocks
Link Posted: 7/11/2014 10:04:14 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

Needs shocks
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Towed the trailer a little bit around town with the new hitch. Still needs ballast. [url]http://www.ar15.com/images/smilies/smiley_abused.gif[/img

Needs shocks

Eh, some trailers have them, some do fine without. I'll see how it rides with a load on it, and once I've adjusted the air pressure in the tires down some.

Not too tough to add them later, but cheaper if I don't have to.
Link Posted: 7/12/2014 6:39:41 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:$16. They're on the way.

And speaking of stuff you may not have seen -

http://www.bestmaterials.com/images/9551-large.jpg

Thinking about buying one of those to mount a Propane tank on. Might work well on your tongue. $37
View Quote

I thought about one of those tank holders. Thought about it quite a bit. Decided not to for a few reasons.
1. Where the tank sits is on a peice of 90* angle with the point up ^ .
2. 10, 20, 30, lb propane tanks have 2 small cutouts on the base ring. These line up and rest perfectly on my angle, keeping the tank from rotating.
3. There were two existing brackets on the frame from when it was a truck, These provide support, and mounting bolts. All I had to do was grind down a couple of corners so I wouldnt have sharp edges pushing on the tank. They already had threaded studs on them.
4. While it isnt much, the tank holder is added weight.

All I did was gring the corners, then bend the steel strap to fit. I added a bolt in the middle to make it easy to tighten.
I'll get some pictures more in depth of the mounting and I think you'll see what I mean.
Link Posted: 7/12/2014 6:48:58 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Please post pics and a review  of the airtop when it arrives.  I've been thinking about one to mount on top of my bantam trailer.
View Quote

As it turns out I had to cancel the Airtop. I'm going to be putting a Foxwing awning on the TOP shell. The Airtop shell is too thin, and would require quite a bit of build up to handle the 40lbs of the awning and mounting system.

Then there's the gas struts used for opening. They would have to be replaced, again, due to the weight.

I decided to go with the Maggiolina Grand Tour. It's designed to carry junk on top, and has mounting points for a roof rack already built into the top shell. It is a manual crank, with beefier parts to handle additional weight.
After talking with Mike at Autohome US, I felt this would be a better way to go, and less expensive in the end.

Here's an Airtop review from ExPo though. I post there as cwadej
http://www.expeditionportal.com/forum/threads/128516-Autohome-Airtop-2-Year-Review
Link Posted: 7/12/2014 8:16:29 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

As it turns out I had to cancel the Airtop. I'm going to be putting a Foxwing awning on the TOP shell. The Airtop shell is too thin, and would require quite a bit of build up to handle the 40lbs of the awning and mounting system.

Then there's the gas struts used for opening. They would have to be replaced, again, due to the weight.

I decided to go with the Maggiolina Grand Tour. It's designed to carry junk on top, and has mounting points for a roof rack already built into the top shell. It is a manual crank, with beefier parts to handle additional weight.
After talking with Mike at Autohome US, I felt this would be a better way to go, and less expensive in the end.

http://www.expeditionportal.com/forum/threads/128516-Autohome-Airtop-2-Year-Review
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thanks for the link and  info.  Do the other models have the issue with the wear on the canvas or was that just the airtop? Or did you ever get an answer?
Link Posted: 7/12/2014 8:30:55 AM EDT
[#42]
From what I've read, mostly on ExPo, the "wear" isnt wear. I knew that right away when i saw it. It's aluminum corrosion. Letting any fabric in contact with non anodized aluminum will cause quick galvanic corrosion, and the fabric will absord the oxides.

Easy way to avoid it is to push the fabric in as the instructions state.
There's a small possible issue with the fabric rubbing on the lift arms when closing. This will cause wear, but very minior. James Baroud tents (same style as Maggiolina, and a tad bit cheaper) chose to wrap all their lift arms in fabric. That way the tent walls never touch the lift arms. Some people are doing this to their Maggiolinas. I will be also.

The Baroud tents are nice. I went with the Maggiolina because the size fits my needs better. The Baroud are just a couple inches different in each direction. Also, all the Baroud tents are gas strut auto opening.

Here's a thread of people talking about them
http://www.expeditionportal.com/forum/threads/114883-James-Baroud-or-Autohome-roof-top-tent

James Baroud Tents
http://www.jamesbaroudusa.com/

a neat comparison i found a while back. Writer is French, so the grammer is a bit off.
http://autobivouac.myob.net/downloads/162749/comparatif.pdf
Link Posted: 7/12/2014 9:06:58 AM EDT
[#43]
Love this thread.
Link Posted: 7/12/2014 11:52:12 AM EDT
[#44]
I just saw that SmittyBuilt (I know, I know, but...) is bringing out a RTT soon. $799 MSRP, and it looks to be the same dimensions & Specs as the Tepui Kukenam, CVT Mt Bachelor, and all the other RTT's that are probably built in the same Chinese factory.

I was going to buy either the Tepui or the CVT (Was leaning Tepui because CVT bumped their price), but we'll see.
Link Posted: 7/12/2014 12:11:01 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

View Quote

I ended up with four jacks, because the ad said "two pieces," so I assumed that meant one jack and one jack handle per package. Oops, now I have four jacks and two jack handles. Oh well, I'll eventually mount the "extra" two on the front of my camper to stabilize it more effectively than the wheeled jack does.

Kharn
Link Posted: 7/12/2014 12:57:12 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
I just saw that SmittyBuilt (I know, I know, but...) is bringing out a RTT soon. $799 MSRP, and it looks to be the same dimensions & Specs as the Tepui Kukenam, CVT Mt Bachelor, and all the other RTT's that are probably built in the same Chinese factory.

I was going to buy either the Tepui or the CVT (Was leaning Tepui because CVT bumped their price), but we'll see.
View Quote

Make sure you check expo,
herre's a few deals now:
http://www.expeditionportal.com/forum/threads/128982-For-Sale-Autohome-Columbus-RTT
http://www.expeditionportal.com/forum/threads/128973-CVT-Mt-Rainier-used-5-nights-3-weeks-old
http://www.expeditionportal.com/forum/threads/128382-Autohome-Maggiolina-RTT-(Small)-for-sale-1500
http://www.expeditionportal.com/forum/threads/127659-Roof-Top-Tent-unused-On-Top-clamshell-type-700

Link Posted: 7/12/2014 2:05:34 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Make sure you check expo,
herre's a few deals now:
http://www.expeditionportal.com/forum/threads/128982-For-Sale-Autohome-Columbus-RTT
http://www.expeditionportal.com/forum/threads/128973-CVT-Mt-Rainier-used-5-nights-3-weeks-old
http://www.expeditionportal.com/forum/threads/128382-Autohome-Maggiolina-RTT-(Small)-for-sale-1500
http://www.expeditionportal.com/forum/threads/127659-Roof-Top-Tent-unused-On-Top-clamshell-type-700

Yeah, I'm checking Craigslist locally, too. There was a Tepui Kukenam on there a week or so ago that I thought about. He wanted $1200, but it had a bunch of extra gear he was trying to move with it, including a very nice elevated rack for a Tacoma. I thought about buying the whole setup and trying to flip the rack and whatever camping gear I didn't want, but someone else jumped on it first.

The Mt Rainier is a good deal if I wanted a tent that big. Might think about it anyway.
Link Posted: 7/13/2014 2:47:51 PM EDT
[#48]
Another weekend without much 'visible' change. I got the corner brackets on the tub (I'd been running without them, steel angles that hold the tops together).

Also got my stabilizer brackets on.

Now, question for all you guys:

I have the old bumper off my Jeep. It's a LOD Xtreme. It mounts to the Jeep by 6 bolts. Without some kind of modification, I would only be able to use TWO on the rear crossmember of the trailer. (I might be able to use 4, I'm going to look into it...)

It would give me a hitch to use for things like a bike rack. It's also got 2 spots for a Clevis, but I doubt I would use them for much of anything. Certainly not to pull anything. I'm not sure how the wider-than-the-trailer look sits with me. I'd obviously have to relocate the taillights, NBD.

What do you think, yea or nay?
Link Posted: 7/13/2014 8:04:48 PM EDT
[#49]
NAY.

Like you said, wider than the tub. To me it just doesnt look right. If you can cut a few inches out of the middle, then weld it back together with the receiver in there, I think you'd be good. Also, two bolts would NOT be sufficient if you pan to put a bike rack on it..  You'd need at least two in the vertical plane, then two in the horizontal plane. 2 wide, 2 high.

That's the route I'd take.
Link Posted: 7/13/2014 9:06:18 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
NAY.

Like you said, wider than the tub. To me it just doesnt look right. If you can cut a few inches out of the middle, then weld it back together with the receiver in there, I think you'd be good. Also, two bolts would NOT be sufficient if you pan to put a bike rack on it..  You'd need at least two in the vertical plane, then two in the horizontal plane. 2 wide, 2 high.

That's the route I'd take.
View Quote

I -can- get 4 in there. I figured a way out. Requires me to break out the welder, but that's NBD.

If I cut it (and I probably could), I think I'd cut it from the outside, that way the structure remains uncut, and -my- welds would only be cosmetic. I don't know how thick that material is, but it's heavy, and I'm pretty limited by my equipment. I won't get good penetration if it's too thick.

Anyway, it's just sitting on the side of the house, so I thought I'd mock it up. It really was a pretty nice bumper, really needs a coat of paint, now.
Page / 7
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top