Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 11
Link Posted: 2/24/2017 3:26:51 PM EDT
[#1]
LOL

1.  Typical GD LE thread
2.  Glad I don't live and work in SoCal any longer.
3.  Dreamers
Link Posted: 2/24/2017 3:28:44 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

No, people like that shouldn't let their mouth write a check they know their ass can't cash.  Defend yourself from hostile intent?  Sure.  Go pick fights because you have a gun when it inevitably goes sideways?  I'm not sure I understand where a right comes into play.   That may or may not be "bold legal strategy" but it is common fucking sense.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Ah.

So people like that should just shut up?  Elderly, women, smaller-framed people... they have fewer rights than gym-rats, karate-kids, and steroid-bros?  "Because shut your mouth, pussy... before I kick your scrawny ass."

Hmmm.

That's a bold legal strategy you've got there, Cotton.

No, people like that shouldn't let their mouth write a check they know their ass can't cash.  Defend yourself from hostile intent?  Sure.  Go pick fights because you have a gun when it inevitably goes sideways?  I'm not sure I understand where a right comes into play.   That may or may not be "bold legal strategy" but it is common fucking sense.

When you carry you should do everything in your power to avoid anything that could possibly lead to a physical confrontation. That means sometimes you have to swallow your pride, STFU, turn the other cheek, and walk away.

Apparently some people balls grow 2 sizes larger when they carry.
Link Posted: 2/24/2017 3:33:41 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

Who is "picking fights?"  Should you expect/deserve an ass-kicking for telling a guy to turn off his phone?

Zimmerman?  He was trying to guide the police to a suspicious character in his neighborhood.  He was trying to get a building number for the dispatcher, and on his way back to his truck when he got ambushed, and a mudhole stomped in his ass.  So he deserved what he got?  

Old retired cop?  Telling a guy to turn off his cell phone in the theatre... that's just a little social pressure to encourage good manners.  Was he "picking a fight" too?  I don't recall him ripping off his shirt, daring the younger guy to swing.  I missed the part where he poked the younger man in the chest and said "you ain't got tha balls!"

Shorter LawyerUp:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QvSkiTYshtI
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Who is "picking fights?"  Should you expect/deserve an ass-kicking for telling a guy to turn off his phone?

Zimmerman?  He was trying to guide the police to a suspicious character in his neighborhood.  He was trying to get a building number for the dispatcher, and on his way back to his truck when he got ambushed, and a mudhole stomped in his ass.  So he deserved what he got?  

Old retired cop?  Telling a guy to turn off his cell phone in the theatre... that's just a little social pressure to encourage good manners.  Was he "picking a fight" too?  I don't recall him ripping off his shirt, daring the younger guy to swing.  I missed the part where he poked the younger man in the chest and said "you ain't got tha balls!"

Shorter LawyerUp:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QvSkiTYshtI

If you are crarrying I would avoid demanding that someone turn off their phone. It is not worth taking a chance inserting yourself in a situation that could get physical. Be the bigger man and turn the other cheek. I though this was common sense.
Link Posted: 2/24/2017 3:38:36 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

All of this.

These retarded sociopaths have NOTHING to lose in their minds other than their lives and that doesnt even carry weight because of some screwed up "today is a good day to die" mentality because they knkw their surviving family/roaches will get to sue you into the ground.

These types push the line in the sand and entice you to do something stupid so they can get one over on you.    They are looking for a sucker/chump/square that they can run their scam or play their game on.

Being able to quickly sum up a situation and figure out what you stand to gain versus what you stand to lose is what helps to walk away from these assholes.

God I wish every one of them could get what they have coming.    But they know how to game the system and things like Prop 47 making it so that theft of a firearm is no longer a felony, unless it is valued over 950 dollars, sends the wrong message to these assholes.

The day that property crime becomes a shootable offense and it becomes easier for common folks to ventilate these dirtbags, it is only going to get worse.

/edit

Kids walking across a lawn isnt worthy of being ventilated.

But telling the same kids day in and day out to get off the damn lawn, getting disrespected or basically told to fuck off, and generally putting up with the shit every day.    I am sure it gets old having to deal not just with "kids being kids" but possibly shitty little punks that are using the mob mentality to do whatever the hell they please.    There are those very moments where they intentionally create the very situation that invites "disrespect" so that they can have an excuse to attack or take advantage of a situation.

Welcome to the new America where those with nothing to lose take from those that have nothing to gain and everything to lose.
View Quote

Well said. Those are my feelings in a nutshell.
Link Posted: 2/24/2017 3:52:40 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Hope they can identify the attackers and press charges.
View Quote
Seems like the officer may be facing charges, or should be.  If average Joe sees a kid walk on his lawn, can he go out and grab that kid and drag them back into the house?  I am suspecting kidnapping charges would be in order.

Cop or armed citizen comes upon that scene, and sees the adult male dragging the juvenile pull a gun vs releasing the juvie when being confronted by people objecting to the act, you really think the neutral armed party is going to read the unarmed 'mob' as the real threat not the armed man dragging a juvie?
Link Posted: 2/24/2017 3:54:41 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Yep. That old man from the movie theater is about to learn that lesson!
View Quote

So Zimmerman who didn't engage Treyvon and was subsequently jumped from behind, pummeled with punches while he was pinned to the ground as well as having his head smashed against the ground was in the wrong?  Please think before you post.
Link Posted: 2/24/2017 3:59:56 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

She has pointy knuckles so I'll keep my distance.  

If you're weak, don't go looking for trouble.  It's pretty simple.  Pull a gun and shoot.  It's only a potential lifetime of living with prison gangs and eating bologna sandwiches.  No big deal.
View Quote

Zimmerman DIDN'T go looking for trouble.  Zimmerman's job was neighborhood watch and a neighborhood which had been hit several times in the past by ghetto rats.  So Z-man, seeing a ghetto rat who had never been seen in that subdivision, approached (not engaged in a physical altercation)  the little fucktard to question why he was there.

Man, that's certainly looking for trouble, isn't it?
Link Posted: 2/24/2017 4:06:20 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
I do not understand some of the comments here saying the cop was a dumbass.  

He had an ND. That sucks and he needs to be trained more on that.

You're saying it's OK to talk to act that way towards a police officer?

I'm around 40 yo and I would have had my ass wore out by my parents if I even thought about doing and acting the way those "kids" we're. Or even acting that way to an adult who wasn't a cop and wanted me to stop trespassing on their property.
View Quote
You are correct that the kids were in the wrong for trespassing.  However, actions need to be proportional to the crime. For example, you can't throw grenades at kids stealing your lawn gnome.
Link Posted: 2/24/2017 4:12:59 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

LOL.

Do you normally specialize in Bird Law?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Okay, I'll break it down for you:

Even if the kid did say "I'll shoot you", the fact is the citizen/officer approached and apprehended the kid as if he knew the kid was unarmed and not a threat.  The  officer didn't have his gun drawn when he approached the teen.  He didn't order the teen to prone out with his hands visible.  He didn't hold the gun with one hand while calling the police with the other.  NOTHING this guy did gave ANY indication that he thought the kid was a threat.   Given those facts, I'm perfectly willing to go with "off-duty out-of-jurisdiction cop was steamed he got dissed and decided to show that punk-assed would-be white knight who had the bigger dick".

LOL.

Do you normally specialize in Bird Law?

No, I dabble.  Today I dabble in "difference between approaching someone who may be armed and a threat and approaching a smart-mouthed kid".  Tomorrow it will be something else.
Link Posted: 2/24/2017 4:14:17 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Zimmerman DIDN'T go looking for trouble.  Zimmerman's job was neighborhood watch and a neighborhood which had been hit several times in the past by ghetto rats.  So Z-man, seeing a ghetto rat who had never been seen in that subdivision, approached (not engaged in a physical altercation)  the little fucktard to question why he was there.

Man, that's certainly looking for trouble, isn't it?
View Quote

I'm well aware of the facts of the zimmerman case.  He obviously did everything right that night.  Quality decision making both before, during and afterwards.  He should give a use of force seminar to GD.
Link Posted: 2/24/2017 4:40:41 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

No, I dabble.  Today I dabble in "difference between approaching someone who may be armed and a threat and approaching a smart-mouthed kid".  Tomorrow it will be something else.
View Quote

Well, as long as you're acknowledging you have no clue how the law works, carry on!
Link Posted: 2/24/2017 5:25:56 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

A threat alone is shit.
Intent, means, and oppurtunity.

I'm gonna shoot you in the face don't mean shit if they have not produced a weapon to shoot you with. If they are standing on the other side of a fence with a knife and say they are going to stab you they don't have the oppurtunity, until they start scaling the fence.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Wow that is a much lower thresh hold then in FL. Very generally speaking, you won't get charges for aggravated assault (FL statute speak for this crime) unless you have a weapon in hand when you make the threat.  And even then it is not a sure thing.

A threat alone is shit.
Intent, means, and oppurtunity.

I'm gonna shoot you in the face don't mean shit if they have not produced a weapon to shoot you with. If they are standing on the other side of a fence with a knife and say they are going to stab you they don't have the oppurtunity, until they start scaling the fence.

Yep pretty much how it is supposed to work here.  Seems it may be different in CA, or maybe that is just the way the statute  is worded and the DA uses more reasonable standards?
Link Posted: 2/24/2017 5:42:36 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

This post is on a level of stupid that is equal to crayon eating.

The only people who could rightly claim self defense in this case is the kids.

Here's a simple rubric:  

Who in this situation gave chase and initiated physical contact?  That person is the aggressor.

Who retreated and sought to avoid physical contact?  Those people are the victims.

This has been explained to you in the simplest terms possible in this thread, and you have willfully ignored them, so I'm sure you'll willfully ignore this too.

And I get it.  The kids are mouthy, urban teens and the adult is a homeowning, gun owning, authority figure.  I get that you identify with the homeowner and you want him to be right, which is driving you to ignore all the facts to the contrary.  But if you're going to do that, at least have the integrity to not impugn people who pay attention to things like facts.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Some of you guys are either retarded or just outright against self defense and the 2nd amendment. I hope you guys don't get called in for jury duty any time soon, it seems like you just can't wait to fuck over an innocent person. Who cares why or how it happened, everyone has the right to tell trespasser to GTFO, I don't give a shit what happens after, if they were trespassing they starter the altercation.

I've heard the saying "we are our own worst enemy" while discussing gun owners but this thread is getting ridiculous.

Here's a simple rubric:  

Who in this situation gave chase and initiated physical contact?  That person is the aggressor.

Who retreated and sought to avoid physical contact?  Those people are the victims.

This has been explained to you in the simplest terms possible in this thread, and you have willfully ignored them, so I'm sure you'll willfully ignore this too.

And I get it.  The kids are mouthy, urban teens and the adult is a homeowning, gun owning, authority figure.  I get that you identify with the homeowner and you want him to be right, which is driving you to ignore all the facts to the contrary.  But if you're going to do that, at least have the integrity to not impugn people who pay attention to things like facts.

You are making an assumption about what happened before the video started.

We have no proof that the cop chased the kid down and got physical first.  The only person I see retreating is the cop walking backwards away from his property.

A couple interesting questions here are; what does CA law say about an off duty cop's duty to act when they see a crime?  And what happened to start this incident. We only have two statements from people both under lots of adrenaline and emotion caught up in the middle of a violent incident, which makes their statements less then reliable, just from a biological perspective.

Statement one from the kid was basically:  "You told her to get off your lawn and called her a cunt."  

Statement two from the cop was basically:  "You threatened to shoot me."

All we can infer from that is that the kid was not initially involved in whatever the cop was doing and he went and inserted himself into the situation.  And possibly he threatened the cop.  We don't know if he did anything else or not.  We also do not know what made the cop leave his property, and then continue to move away from it.  was he dragging the kid home to his parents?  That used to be a normal reaction from an adult when a kid was being a little shit.
Link Posted: 2/24/2017 5:49:58 PM EDT
[#14]
All that's a bit of legal gymnastics.  If you're a cop in Anaheim, CA, you don't want to be engaging in an on duty use of force in your front yard.  Especially out of your agency jurisdiction.   I've seen a WV state trooper get away with shooting an unarmed guy in his front yard after they got into a fight over speeding on an atv.  But that's WV.
Link Posted: 2/24/2017 6:01:24 PM EDT
[#15]
The more I read about the incident and the history this neighborhood has had with the little criminals, the more I side with the cop.
Link Posted: 2/24/2017 6:28:11 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

We have no proof that the cop chased the kid down and got physical first.  The only person I see retreating is the cop walking backwards away from his property.

A couple interesting questions here are; what does CA law say about an off duty cop's duty to act when they see a crime?  And what happened to start this incident. We only have two statements from people both under lots of adrenaline and emotion caught up in the middle of a violent incident, which makes their statements less then reliable, just from a biological perspective.

Statement one from the kid was basically:  "You told her to get off your lawn and called her a cunt."  

All we can infer from that is that the kid was not initially involved in whatever the cop was doing and he went and inserted himself into the situation.  And possibly he threatened the cop.  We don't know if he did anything else or not.  We also do not know what made the cop leave his property, and then continue to move away from it.  was he dragging the kid home to his parents?  That used to be a normal reaction from an adult when a kid was being a little shit.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Some of you guys are either retarded or just outright against self defense and the 2nd amendment. I hope you guys don't get called in for jury duty any time soon, it seems like you just can't wait to fuck over an innocent person. Who cares why or how it happened, everyone has the right to tell trespasser to GTFO, I don't give a shit what happens after, if they were trespassing they starter the altercation.

I've heard the saying "we are our own worst enemy" while discussing gun owners but this thread is getting ridiculous.

Here's a simple rubric:  

lol.  You need to catch up to the facts.

Where the video starts is half a block away from the guy's property.  He was dragging the kid back to his property.

Oh, and we do know that the homeowner chased down the kid and made physical contact first, because that's what Anaheim police said about the situation.

Unless you think the police are lying.
Link Posted: 2/24/2017 6:37:00 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 2/24/2017 11:31:35 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
As mentioned above is these kids were not gang thugs  They are bunch of

Mouthy kids. all the gang members down here in Miami ride the school

bus and carry their books in a backpack.

lawn man  would have been   stabbed 10 times at the first house.

gang members gets  thrown around a lot  .

it's like saying a kid that steals some skittles is a mafia associate.

plain and simple this was a bunch of mouthy kids and  an adult who got way too carried away.
View Quote
That might be the way things run in Miami. As a child of Southern California streets, my take is those kids probably are more thug than you think.
Link Posted: 2/25/2017 1:06:00 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
You are correct that the kids were in the wrong for trespassing.  However, actions need to be proportional to the crime. For example, you can't throw grenades at kids stealing your lawn gnome.
View Quote

What if my lawn gnomes are really really sweet?
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 2/25/2017 1:32:16 AM EDT
[#20]
And to think that a remote controlled water sprinkler would've been much more effective and not caused this shitstorm.
Link Posted: 2/25/2017 1:36:05 AM EDT
[#21]
When it is all said and done......even if you are 100% in the right, you have to ask yourself "was it really worth it?"

Sometimes, you have to choose your battles.  
Link Posted: 2/25/2017 2:33:19 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
And to think that a remote controlled water sprinkler would've been much more effective and not caused this shitstorm.
View Quote

I don't think that would have helped.

In doing that, he would have "disrespected" them which would have led to another escalation.

Your mistake is assuming they are like us, they are not.

ETA:

Like what I said earlier, you have no good options in dealing with this. Either sit in your house like a Coward and hope they get bored and leave, or go outside and risk the possibility of being this guy (or Zimmerman).

Of course, if your not a Cop, and would have been in this exact situation, GD would be clamoring to support you and there would probably be a GoFundMe, besides the MYOB Brigade.
Link Posted: 2/25/2017 3:39:16 AM EDT
[#23]
Nobody said it yet....what's the cops screen name?  
Link Posted: 2/25/2017 6:18:35 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
That might be the way things run in Miami. As a child of Southern California streets, my take is those kids probably are more thug than you think.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
As mentioned above is these kids were not gang thugs  They are bunch of

Mouthy kids. all the gang members down here in Miami ride the school

bus and carry their books in a backpack.

lawn man  would have been   stabbed 10 times at the first house.

gang members gets  thrown around a lot  .

it's like saying a kid that steals some skittles is a mafia associate.

plain and simple this was a bunch of mouthy kids and  an adult who got way too carried away.
The kids in Miami would not have walked on the lawn because there would have been a fence and a dog. I don't understand why the houses there don't have fences
Link Posted: 2/25/2017 7:19:15 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

That would be an RD. Retarded discharge. I have seen it happen. A female army NCO and a Marine MAJ. It is considered a ND by the military and was treated as such. If a firearm discharges and it's not a mechanical malfunction in the firearm then its negligence.

Using accident is a way of saying I was negligent and a dumb ass but it's not my fault.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Speaking of this, I always thought it would be funny to go up to one of those stupid clearing barrels they have on the mil bases overseas and do a mag dump to clear my weapon.  Just yell fire in the hole and shoot to slide lock.  What would that be called?  Not an ND or an AD.  Maybe just being an asshole.

That would be an RD. Retarded discharge. I have seen it happen. A female army NCO and a Marine MAJ. It is considered a ND by the military and was treated as such. If a firearm discharges and it's not a mechanical malfunction in the firearm then its negligence.

Using accident is a way of saying I was negligent and a dumb ass but it's not my fault.
So you have seen someone actually fire into one of the barrels on purpose, not because they didn't know what they were doing?  (pulled the slide back and didn't remove the magazine?)  Is it negligent to fire a weapon into a device designed for it if you ment to do it?
Link Posted: 2/25/2017 7:20:35 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

I think the officer is left handed. He drew from appendix left. He was detaining mini-shitbag while moving away from the threat posed by the other shitbags.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
So you are saying the cop is an idiot?  Only a complete idiot would hold onto the kid with his strong hand and then try and draw weak handed with a "threat" that close and not get into a better position to defend himself.  He is either an idiot or he wasn't in fear.

I think the officer is left handed. He drew from appendix left. He was detaining mini-shitbag while moving away from the threat posed by the other shitbags.
Yeah...that's my point.  I guess you think those tactics are sound.....
Link Posted: 2/25/2017 7:22:45 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
I have seen that more than once in Brazil, a crowd forms around the cop yelling screaming, one cop  unholsters and fires about 5 shots in the air, instant crowd control
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Maybe he pulled the trigger on purpose , he might of thought "shoot 1 into the ground to scatter the roaches".

I have seen that more than once in Brazil, a crowd forms around the cop yelling screaming, one cop  unholsters and fires about 5 shots in the air, instant crowd control
That is a technique....
Link Posted: 2/25/2017 7:28:34 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
LOL

1.  Typical GD LE thread
2.  Glad I don't live and work in SoCal any longer.
3.  Dreamers
View Quote
Take the part where he was a cop completely out of it.  What would the thread be like then?  My bet is it would be about getting the cops to let the guy out of jail.
Link Posted: 2/25/2017 7:32:29 AM EDT
[#29]
cant edit worth a crap!
Link Posted: 2/25/2017 7:56:13 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
When it is all said and done......even if you are 100% in the right, you have to ask yourself "was it really worth it?"
View Quote

A guy I worked with went outside his house to tell some "teens" to get off his car, they beat the shit out of him and used his head as a soccer ball.  He ended up with a disabling TBI from the incident.
Link Posted: 2/25/2017 8:50:29 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

View Quote

In California a police officers jurisdiction is state wide. As soon as he identifies himself as a peace officer he is back on duty. Though that bites them in the ass sometimes. I know a cop who was off duty at the bar. Broke up a fight, identified himself as a peace officer. Otjer cops showed up and he got in trouble for being under the influence of alcohol on duty.
Link Posted: 2/25/2017 9:00:09 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

A guy I worked with went outside his house to tell some "teens" to get off his car, they beat the shit out of him and used his head as a soccer ball.  He ended up with a disabling TBI from the incident.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Every single car I ever had was garaged, I remember paying more in garages than car payments. I would see 20 fucking people using one car as a chair, I seen so many fights over that in my life. A car ain't worth getting arrested or pummeled
Link Posted: 2/25/2017 10:03:55 AM EDT
[#33]
I haven't read all 10 pages, but I will echo what some have already said:

Deescalate, deescalate, deescalate.  I've had this drilled into my head in training classes and concealed carry class.  Anyone that carries has a bigger responsibility to avoid confrontations like this.  Going hands on over such a civil matter is just plain stupid.  Even more stupid while carrying.  Which begs the question... would this man gone hands on in this crowd if he were not carrying?  Probably not. 

Dude, I don't care if you have a badge or not, a much smarter move would have been to use your brain and call 911.  Or maybe, recognize that a few kids walking on your sacred grass isn't really such a big deal after all.
Link Posted: 2/25/2017 11:16:16 AM EDT
[#34]
How could you be a cop and not have a fence around your property and a dog for that matter? How can you be anyone else besides a cop and not have a fence around your property. Once they open the gate and come inside it's a game changer
Link Posted: 2/25/2017 12:24:56 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

In California a police officers jurisdiction is state wide. As soon as he identifies himself as a peace officer he is back on duty. Though that bites them in the ass sometimes. I know a cop who was off duty at the bar. Broke up a fight, identified himself as a peace officer. Otjer cops showed up and he got in trouble for being under the influence of alcohol on duty.
View Quote

California state police? Yes.  City PD?  No.  He has the authority (as does any other citizen) to detain a suspect until the police in that jurisdiction arrive to make an arrest, but except in certain circumstances (pursuit of fleeing suspect across the line, being requested by another jurisdiction), there is no "blanket statewide jurisdiction" for local LEOs.  

If you paid attention to the charges (suspicion of battery), you would realize that the off-duty out-of-jurisdiction cop was treated as if he was Joe Sixpack with regards to the kids' actions against him.  If he had jurisdiction and acting as an LEO, the charges would have been resisting arrest and assaulting an officer.  Granted, those charges would have also been shitcanned as soon as the video made it patently obvious that no crime was committed (and thus no probable cause to make an arrest), but there's still a difference between fighting with some random guy and resisting an officer making an arrest.  

All that being said, the downside to physically detaining someone until the cops show up is if no crime was committed, you're now dallying with assault and kidnapping.  Aggravated assault (or the equivalent) if you use a gun.  Reckless discharge if you fuck up and pop a round off.  Guaranteed you're getting charged?  Of course not, but the possibility exists, and the likelihood increases if your actions were "politically embarrassing", to put it mildly.  Further, acting as a "concerned citizen" rather than a LEO, he probably has no liability immunity (as he would in his own jurisdiction).  Maybe his union has liability insurance to cover actions made off duty and out of jurisdiction, but if not, his only protection is whatever personal liability insurance he has.  It's possible one can claim ignorance of the law, but that's an uphill battle.

Hey, I get your point.  I get that these little turdburglers deserved something for walking across a yard not their own and disrespecting the owner.  Nobody is acting like they were model citizens on their way to the local shelter to read stories to homeless children.  That said, there's often a difference between what we want to do, and what we legally can do.  As a result, I expect that instead of the *something* they deserve, the turdnuggets in question (especially the 13 year old) will get a settlement check.  The only probable upside here is that if the LAPD wheedles their way out of liability (and I fully expect them to wash their hands of this in the attempt), the check will be limited to the liability cap on his insurance policy and what the lawyers think a cop can pay on his own.
Link Posted: 2/25/2017 12:36:50 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

California state police? Yes.  City PD?  No.  He has the authority (as does any other citizen) to detain a suspect until the police in that jurisdiction arrive to make an arrest, but except in certain circumstances (pursuit of fleeing suspect across the line, being requested by another jurisdiction), there is no "blanket statewide jurisdiction" for local LEOs.  .
View Quote

Lol 100% wrong
Link Posted: 2/25/2017 12:41:11 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
How could you be a cop and not have a fence around your property and a dog for that matter? How can you be anyone else besides a cop and not have a fence around your property. Once they open the gate and come inside it's a game changer
View Quote
Anyone who lives on a corner and gets pissed about people cutting across there lawn without having a fence around it is one dumb mofo.
Link Posted: 2/25/2017 1:08:25 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

California state police? Yes.  City PD?  No.  He has the authority (as does any other citizen) to detain a suspect until the police in that jurisdiction arrive to make an arrest, but except in certain circumstances (pursuit of fleeing suspect across the line, being requested by another jurisdiction), there is no "blanket statewide jurisdiction" for local LEOs.  

If you paid attention to the charges (suspicion of battery), you would realize that the off-duty out-of-jurisdiction cop was treated as if he was Joe Sixpack with regards to the kids' actions against him.  If he had jurisdiction and acting as an LEO, the charges would have been resisting arrest and assaulting an officer.  Granted, those charges would have also been shitcanned as soon as the video made it patently obvious that no crime was committed (and thus no probable cause to make an arrest), but there's still a difference between fighting with some random guy and resisting an officer making an arrest.  

All that being said, the downside to physically detaining someone until the cops show up is if no crime was committed, you're now dallying with assault and kidnapping.  Aggravated assault (or the equivalent) if you use a gun.  Reckless discharge if you fuck up and pop a round off.  Guaranteed you're getting charged?  Of course not, but the possibility exists, and the likelihood increases if your actions were "politically embarrassing", to put it mildly.  Further, acting as a "concerned citizen" rather than a LEO, he probably has no liability immunity (as he would in his own jurisdiction).  Maybe his union has liability insurance to cover actions made off duty and out of jurisdiction, but if not, his only protection is whatever personal liability insurance he has.  It's possible one can claim ignorance of the law, but that's an uphill battle.

Hey, I get your point.  I get that these little turdburglers deserved something for walking across a yard not their own and disrespecting the owner.  Nobody is acting like they were model citizens on their way to the local shelter to read stories to homeless children.  That said, there's often a difference between what we want to do, and what we legally can do.  As a result, I expect that instead of the *something* they deserve, the turdnuggets in question (especially the 13 year old) will get a settlement check.  The only probable upside here is that if the LAPD wheedles their way out of liability (and I fully expect them to wash their hands of this in the attempt), the check will be limited to the liability cap on his insurance policy and what the lawyers think a cop can pay on his own.
View Quote

Lots of fail in that post. Probably best to stop.
Link Posted: 2/25/2017 1:18:53 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

There are certain segments of our society with whom any interaction brings the possibility of deadly violence. When dealing with them, one first needs to ask, Am I willing to be kill or be killed over this?, because that's often where it leads.
Link Posted: 2/25/2017 2:57:04 PM EDT
[#40]
As soon as the leftist SJWs start wailing and screeching on FB, you know the little ghetto shitbirds were most likely in the wrong.

Edit: Derp
Link Posted: 2/25/2017 3:00:21 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

There are certain segments of our society with whom any interaction brings the possibility of deadly violence. When dealing with them, one first needs to ask, Am I willing to kill or be killed over this?, because that's often where it leads.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

There are certain segments of our society with whom any interaction brings the possibility of deadly violence. When dealing with them, one first needs to ask, Am I willing to kill or be killed over this?, because that's often where it leads.
To be or not to be, that is the question
Link Posted: 2/25/2017 3:02:35 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
As soon as the leftist SJWs start whaling and screeching on FB, you know the little ghetto shitbirds were most likely in the wrong.
View Quote

Those poor whales..............
Link Posted: 2/25/2017 3:07:36 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

Lol 100% wrong
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

California state police? Yes.  City PD?  No.  He has the authority (as does any other citizen) to detain a suspect until the police in that jurisdiction arrive to make an arrest, but except in certain circumstances (pursuit of fleeing suspect across the line, being requested by another jurisdiction), there is no "blanket statewide jurisdiction" for local LEOs.  .

Lol 100% wrong

Granted, I'm going off California Penal Code, which specifies an officer has arrest authority a) within their political subdivision b) if the CLEO in the other subdivision gives consent or c) there is immediate danger to person or property.

a) he was not in his subdivision
b) I doubt he called up the Orange County sheriff and got the go-ahead
c) he did not approach the situation as if there was an immediate danger

Of course, this is just my opinion.  There could have been some other reason Anaheim charged the kid with "suspicion of battery" rather than "resisting arrest", other than the LAPD officer not having jurisdiction and probable cause to make an arrest.  I'll grant you that.  I'll change my statement to it strongly appears, under California state law, that he had no jurisdiction.
Link Posted: 2/25/2017 3:08:59 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
As soon as the leftist SJWs start whaling and screeching on FB, you know the little ghetto shitbirds were most likely in the wrong.

You have to admit Trump is going to make a lot of whales lose weight
Link Posted: 2/25/2017 3:11:37 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
You have to admit Trump is going to make a lot of whales lose weight
View Quote

Maybe that's his plan?

Get em off the couch and marching to lose weight and cut healthcare costs....
Link Posted: 2/25/2017 3:16:56 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

Maybe that's his plan?

Get em off the couch and marching to lose weight and cut healthcare costs....
View Quote

Someone should make a video of that google commercial with the dad asking google what sound does a whale make, then cut in the fat lib from Trumps inauguration screaming NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

Link Posted: 2/25/2017 3:22:31 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

Lots of fail in that post. Probably best to stop.
View Quote

Stop what?  Using California state law to form an opinion as to the jurisdictional authority of a City LEO the next county over, or for using it to form an opinion as to whether probable cause existed to make an arrest, or for using it to form an opinion as to what would happen to you if you ran down the street, grabbed a mouthy teenager, and dragged him kicking and screaming back onto your property because you got disrespected, or for acknowledging the history of who gets paid when a cop goes all clownshoes on somebody?

You're right.  This being GD, I should just shit all over the keyboard.
Link Posted: 2/25/2017 4:02:43 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
Anyone who lives on a corner and gets pissed about people cutting across there lawn without having a fence around it is one dumb mofo.
View Quote

Some HOAs don't allow front yard fences, not saying this is the case where he lives though.

Link Posted: 2/25/2017 4:31:48 PM EDT
[#49]
If you're off-duty and see a hoodrat shoplift a pack of cigs from a stop-n-rob would you attempt to arrest him out front of the store with 5 or 6 of his hoodrat associates looking on?
No... because that would be a stupid position to place yourself in for a misdemeanor.
If for some dumb reason you did confront said shoplifting hoodrat and one of his homies threatened to shoot your ass, would you then escalate to making a solo off-duty arrest for that threat?
If so... you don't have the judgement or the temperament to carry a gun much less a gun and a badge.
Same with the supposed trespassing (which unless the kids violated a previously established trespass order aint gonna stick) or the attempted arrest for a felony threat (which is going to be tough to justify when "Ofc. Off-Duty" was the first to utter fighting words "cunt!").

As to an officer being required to act on felonies while off-duty...
"Duty to act" doesn't always mean jump into the middle of shit solo like Superman.
If it's a back-up required/recommended situation on-duty, it's damn sure not a smart idea to do it solo off-duty.

That off-duty cop started with a piss poor plan and doubled down on it in a cascade of dumb decisions.
Link Posted: 2/25/2017 4:33:54 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

So if you tell a trespasser to GTFO and they do in fact GTFO but mumble something, you think it is OK to chase them 3 yards down then drag them back to your yard and bust a cap?

I do find it interesting, how many fathers here would be fine with a skinhead calling their 13 year old daughter a cunt because she set foot on his grass.
View Quote
Mumble something? The kid threatened to murder him.....
Page / 11
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top