Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 3
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 10/11/2011 5:49:22 AM EDT
[#1]
After MS's last fiasco with the red ring of death.........not interested.  There were so many problems with that platform and MS didn't do jack to fix it.  I had to RROD my xbox, and the one they sent back had a stepper motor so bad that even game trade in places wouldn't touch it.
Link Posted: 10/11/2011 5:58:55 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:

Honestly, you can build a nice gaming rig cheap nowadays.

I priced it out last week:

Intel i5 2500k @ 4+ GHz

nVidia 560 TI 1 GB video card

16 GB high performance RAM

ASRock P67 motherboard

10k RPM Western Digital Velociraptor drive

750W PC Power & Cooling PSU

Nice Cooler Master case

Granted, it's about $950 vs $250, but you don't have to spend a lot to build a real nice gaming rig.

Software? Mouse? Keyboard? Monitor?

Once you get into those nickle and dime details, you're easily $1,500-$2,000 to build a decent system from scratch, assuming you've been playing a console for years and don't have another PC to upgrade/borrow parts from.

The analogy earlier regarding ARs was spot on. You can have a Larue Stealth with Nightforce glass or a CMMG build with an Aimpoint/mount combo from Larue. They'll both do the job if you do yours, but one package is a fraction of the price of the other. I got both, in true Arfcom fashion, but the CMMG is my go to HD/travel rifle.

Don't get me wrong: What's got two thumbs and loves gaming? This guy. However, I'm not going to spend $2,000 to get started in another branch of a hobby/leisure activity (video games) that is already adequately covered by my 360 and PS3.

I genuinely feel for you fellas that spent the coin on high end systems only to get stuck with "console ports", but it's simple economics. Some of the gnashing and wailing here makes it sound like y'all are one step away from government subsidization of PC Gaming.

Link Posted: 10/11/2011 6:00:58 AM EDT
[#3]
I dream of the day consoles and PCs can play together, especially shooters. Then we'll see who's king
Link Posted: 10/11/2011 6:05:35 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

I dream of the day consoles and PCs can play together, especially shooters. Then we'll see who's king

Lol... that would be a slaughter. A very fun slaughter.
Link Posted: 10/11/2011 6:29:04 AM EDT
[#5]
if it as a mouse and keyboard i'm down otherwise keep the controller.
Link Posted: 10/11/2011 6:32:42 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:
You can compare PC to console all day and your comparison will still be flawed.

You can buy a $250 console right now that will out perform a $1000 + PC. It is all about dollars. If everyone had a couple thousand dollars to spend on a high end PC there wouldn't be a shrinking PC gaming market.

Consoles will be king for a long time to come for two reasons. Simple and cheap.

My PS3 and XBOX play games more smoothly than my insanely fast gaming laptop.

Intel i5 2500k @ 4+ GHz
ASRock P67 motherboard
Nice Cooler Master case

Granted, it's about $950 vs $250, but you don't have to spend a lot to build a real nice gaming rig.
That's the thing right there. Folks spouting "$250 dollars" don't remember the launch prices.  So I guess they will wait to pick up the new xbox after a couple years.  The PS3 was launched in '06 at $500 (20GB) and $600 (60GB).  $600 buys one awesome graphics card replacement nowadays.  Granted the 360 launch prices were way lower, but you had to buy the HD-DVD addon to watch hidef (I did /facepalm) and will most likely be included in the price of the next gen xbox.  XBOX360 launched in '05 at $300 for Arcarde/Core, $360 for the reg, $479 for the elite (later release). Yet again all those buy a pretty good graphics card update.  

You could get away with 8gb memory (shit, 6gb would be fine) on that build above and have no probs whatsoever evo462 and save some money

You realize that in five years after launch the xbox will still run all the new games while your graphics card will need to be upgraded.

For the lifespan of the Xbox 360 you would need to upgrade CPU's once, motherboard once, and your graphics card 3 times.

Only if want to play the newest games at >HDTV resolutions with all the settings maxed out. Also, don't forget the cost of XBOX Live vs free online pc play.
Link Posted: 10/11/2011 6:39:16 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Quoted:

It would be like shooting monkey in barrel.

Link Posted: 10/11/2011 6:48:09 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Quoted:
And it'll be obsolete when the next generation of PC video cards comes out, YAY

If you're gonna compare it to a PC, it'll be obsolete before it even hits the stores tomorrow  

Link Posted: 10/11/2011 6:51:18 AM EDT
[#9]
Another bug ridden pile of crap from Microsoft, wow, my excited expression ->
Link Posted: 10/11/2011 6:52:24 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

You can buy a $250 console right now that will out perform a $1000 + PC. It is all about dollars. If everyone had a couple thousand dollars to spend on a high end PC there wouldn't be a shrinking PC gaming market.

Consoles will be king for a long time to come for two reasons. Simple and cheap.

prove it. Post links.
Link Posted: 10/11/2011 7:11:15 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
...don't forget the cost of XBOX Live vs free online pc play.

If the cost of XBox Live is a factor, you can't afford to be playing games in the first place.

Link Posted: 10/11/2011 7:22:34 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Really? Not being a dick or being argumentative at all. I'm pretty good on the console and don't like PC play. Just my personal preference.

Are you saying that because PC is considered quicker? Able to do more quicker? Just wondering.
Link Posted: 10/11/2011 8:05:22 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Quoted:

...don't forget the cost of XBOX Live vs free online pc play.

If the cost of XBox Live is a factor, you can't afford to be playing games in the first place.

In addition to being just generally crappy hardware, that's one of the primary reasons my 360 is just a dust magnet. The irony of 360 proponents bitching about being nickel and dimed by PC expenses is quite tasty. No other electronic device in my lifetime has nickel and dimed me anywhere close to as horribly as the 360. If only I had been smarter, I could build a new gaming rig today.

Link Posted: 10/11/2011 8:22:30 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Really? Not being a dick or being argumentative at all. I'm pretty good on the console and don't like PC play. Just my personal preference.

Are you saying that because PC is considered quicker? Able to do more quicker? Just wondering.

Absolutely.  I played the BF3 demo on PS3, then my PC...wow.  SpaceMarine on my PS3 (couple of my buddies have it) then play it on PC, world of a difference. Same thing with Crisis 2 using my brother's PS3 copy. Aiming with the mouse is just easier, and quicker.  Those are the only games I have a direct comparison to, but using the mouse in general is just better (for me)

Link Posted: 10/11/2011 8:27:42 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

It's a matter of the human interface.  With a mouse you are able to do minute adjustments rather quickly compared to a thumbstick.  

I've played plenty of hours of FPS games on a PC and when I see some of the guys playing consoles and doing rather well it's a night and day difference.  The PC players and moving and shooting constantly.  The console guys, who are ranking fairly well on their match, are stopping to aim.

There's a reason that cross platform games aren't around, and it's not a technical difficulty.  In fact there was one of the early Vista only games called Shadowrun that offered cross platform gaming.  There's an interesting read where a senior director for MS is rebutting the statement "The console players got destroyed every time... So much so that it would be embarrassing to the XBOX team in general had Microsoft launched this initiative."  His answer was "The attention and detail that went in to play balancing between mouse/keyboard and controller was also something that informed a white paper on the subject."  Which translates to, they are not equal and PC players crushed our XBox players.
Link Posted: 10/11/2011 8:29:54 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

I think I read somewhere that MW3 is supposed to have cross-platform compatibility between PS3 and PC.
Link Posted: 10/11/2011 8:37:15 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Absolutely.  I played the BF3 demo on PS3, then my PC...wow.  SpaceMarine on my PS3 (couple of my buddies have it) then play it on PC, world of a difference. Same thing with Crisis 2 using my brother's PS3 copy. Aiming with the mouse is just easier, and quicker.  Those are the only games I have a direct comparison to, but using the mouse in general is just better (for me)

Meh.  Give a console player a mouse and keyboard and they will do well.  Give a PC player a gamepad and they will spin around for 5 minutes staring at the ceiling trying to figure out WTF is going on.
Link Posted: 10/11/2011 8:41:20 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Well how about that.  Maybe they can incorporate the technology that PS3 has had for over 5 year

Maybe they can show Sony how to turn a profit.
Link Posted: 10/11/2011 8:44:54 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Intel i5 2500k @ 4+ GHz

ASRock P67 motherboard

Nice Cooler Master case

That's the thing right there. Folks spouting "$250 dollars" don't remember the launch prices.  So I guess they will wait to pick up the new xbox after a couple years.  The PS3 was launched in '06 at $500 (20GB) and $600 (60GB).  $600 buys one awesome graphics card replacement nowadays.  Granted the 360 launch prices were way lower, but you had to buy the HD-DVD addon to watch hidef (I did /facepalm) and will most likely be included in the price of the next gen xbox.  XBOX360 launched in '05 at $300 for Arcarde/Core, $360 for the reg, $479 for the elite (later release). Yet again all those buy a pretty good graphics card update.  

You could get away with 8gb memory (shit, 6gb would be fine) on that build above and have no probs whatsoever evo462 and save some money

You realize that in five years after launch the xbox will still run all the new games while your graphics card will need to be upgraded.

For the lifespan of the Xbox 360 you would need to upgrade CPU's once, motherboard once, and your graphics card 3 times.

You would only need to upgrade if you wanted to play the game to its fullest graphical extent.  What you are ignoring is that the 'new' console game is not using most recent graphics like the 'new' PC game is.

Link Posted: 10/11/2011 8:59:00 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

New Xbox on the way.

Awesome. The next gen can't come soon enough.

Awesome!!

I'm one of the minority that isn't a "fanboi" for any one system.

I have my 360 which excels in gaming, I have my PS3 which excels as a media server/BlueRay (including streaming content, TVersity, etc) and supports more native codecs than the 360, and I have my Wii/Nintendo3D/PSP for other handheld gaming goodness.

I love the current Xbox (slim).  MS has done amazing things Xbox Live function,and I'm hoping they'll continue the trend.

I'll have mine preordered when the time comes.

Link Posted: 10/11/2011 9:00:32 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

Quoted:
New Xbox on the way.

Awesome!!

I have my 360 which excels in gaming, I have my PS3 which excels as a media server/BlueRay (including streaming content, TVersity, etc) and supports more native codecs than the 360, and I have my Wii/Nintendo3D/PSP for other handheld gaming goodness.

I love the current Xbox (slim).  MS has done amazing things Xbox Live function,and I'm hoping they'll continue the trend.

Honest question:  What's so amazing about Xbox live?
Link Posted: 10/11/2011 9:13:21 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Give a console player a mouse and keyboard and they will do well.

Not me. I hate playing with a keyboard and mouse. I can never remember which key does what.

In think that, to a certain extent, you need to be a "computer person" if you're going to get into PC gaming.

I am most definitely not a "computer person."  I don't even know how to type.

I don't want to have to know how to repair a watch in order to tell time. I don't want to have to tinker with a computer in order to play a game.

(Not to mention the fact that I hate Windows, so for me a PC would be nothing more than a really expensive console, because it wouldn't be used for anything other than games.)

Link Posted: 10/11/2011 10:04:34 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

A keyboard/mouse setup allows for much faster and very precise target acquisitions. A Game pad not so much.
Link Posted: 10/11/2011 10:05:22 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Why do they call it xbox 720?  Because when you see it, you turn a 720 and walk away!

The fail is so fucking hard here.
Link Posted: 10/11/2011 10:11:01 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

Intel i5 2500k @ 4+ GHz
ASRock P67 motherboard
Nice Cooler Master case

You would only need to upgrade if you wanted to play the game to its fullest graphical extent.  What you are ignoring is that the 'new' console game is not using most recent graphics like the 'new' PC game is.

But isn't the point of playing games on PC the graphics?
Link Posted: 10/11/2011 10:12:31 AM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

NO!
Link Posted: 10/11/2011 10:14:20 AM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Why do they call it xbox 720?  Because when you see it, you turn a 720 and walk away!

The fail is so fucking hard here.

6-6*6=0

Link Posted: 10/11/2011 10:19:32 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

Quoted:

NO!

Then why is that the first thing every PC gamer brings up.
Link Posted: 10/11/2011 10:20:23 AM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

New Xbox on the way.

Awesome!!

Xbox Live is among other things a very polished interface which is designed from the ground up to allow you to keep tabs on friends, setup parties for chat both in/out of games, sand also provide you access to all sorts of content, both free and paid, in what again is IMHO a very polished system.  It all works very smoothly and requires very little knowledge or expertise, it's pretty intuitive.  Not all of us can be geeks, and that lends itself very well to getting all your gaming buddies into various chats/parties/lists/etc.

It's only "amazing" when compared with a "like offering", such as the PS3.  There is no real system-level stuff built into PS3 that allows such a smooth flow for doing the chatting/communicating, and provides content in the way Xbox does outside of the actual games.

I guess what I'm saying is that, for gaming, Xbox Live really shines in the communications/party/chat/setup department.  I've found that the PS3 just doesn't compare.  PS3 allows some of this stuff, but Xbox Live is at the system level...it's what everything else Xbox is based on.

I'm sure others will disagree, and insist that PS3 is "this or that", but I own both, and have for years.  My opinions are firm and based on my own experiences.  PS3 shines in many ways, but when it comes to gaming and interacting with others at that level, the Xbox and Xbox Live just can't be beat.

Link Posted: 10/11/2011 10:31:44 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:
New Xbox on the way.

Awesome!!

Xbox Live is among other things a very polished interface which is designed from the ground up to allow you to keep tabs on friends, setup parties for chat both in/out of games, sand also provide you access to all sorts of content, both free and paid, in what again is IMHO a very polished system.  It all works very smoothly and requires very little knowledge or expertise, it's pretty intuitive.  Not all of us can be geeks, and that lends itself very well to getting all your gaming buddies into various chats/parties/lists/etc.

It's only "amazing" when compared with a "like offering", such as the PS3.  There is no real system-level stuff built into PS3 that allows such a smooth flow for doing the chatting/communicating, and provides content in the way Xbox does outside of the actual games.

I guess what I'm saying is that, for gaming, Xbox Live really shines in the communications/party/chat/setup department.  I've found that the PS3 just doesn't compare.  PS3 allows some of this stuff, but Xbox Live is at the system level...it's what everything else Xbox is based on.

I'm sure others will disagree, and insist that PS3 is "this or that", but I own both, and have for years.  My opinions are firm and based on my own experiences.  PS3 shines in many ways, but when it comes to gaming and interacting with others at that level, the Xbox and Xbox Live just can't be beat.

The PS3 does leave a fair amount to be desired.  However I must admit I'm pretty happy with what Steam has done on the PC side.
Link Posted: 10/11/2011 10:42:04 AM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

I wonder if this one will have RROD like problems?

Only if they build it with the same crappy Electornics Contractor.

I was on the Gen 1 Xbox team at Flextronics.  We did all the hardware design and redesigns.  Then they went to a completely different contractor for the 360, who fucked up the heat management on the unit.  MSFT came back to Flextronics to fix the unit, leading to the current heatsinks.  Flex was referbing 360s in a dedicated facility for years.   I hope they send the 720 back to Flex for the hardware.  They've got a good team for it.

Link Posted: 10/11/2011 10:44:04 AM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I wonder if this one will have RROD like problems?

Seeing as how they've had plenty of time to figure it out it better not.

Depends on which EMC company they pick.

Link Posted: 10/11/2011 10:49:29 AM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I hope in 2 years the next gen consoles has all the specs off the high end computers now.

i7 4.0ghz, 32 gigs ram, 1tb hard drive, No disc format, high definition sound card.

Hell maybe even upgradeable.

It is much more satisfying to play on a 42 inch high definition 1080p screen from the comfort of your couch.

And that is why the consoles will stay king

You know that's possible on a PC, right?   I've got a couple of people in my EvE guild that use a 55" to run multiple clients.

Link Posted: 10/11/2011 10:51:11 AM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

MSFT killed the concept in a game a few years ago.   Professional console gamers were getting fragged by the average guy on a PC.    The mouse controls made it much harder for them to compete.

http://www.google.com/search?q=microsoft+kills+console+vs+pc&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&aq=t&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&client=firefox-a

Link Posted: 10/11/2011 10:56:16 AM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Meh.  Give a console player a mouse and keyboard and they will do well.  Give a PC player a gamepad and they will spin around for 5 minutes staring at the ceiling trying to figure out WTF is going on.

That's the point.  The Hotest, most intense Console gamers were being FRAGGED by Joe off the street.    Which means poor console sales.  Or a shit-ton of "helping" for the console players.  Like a Planetside Cone of Fire ring or auto aiming.

Link Posted: 10/11/2011 11:01:20 AM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

NO!

I'm guessing because it's one of the most obvious advantages? I can't really say. Scale of games and gameplay is another significant advantage. Although increasingly less true, there was a time when some of the best games were simply not available on a console. The number of players supported in PC equivalents of console games is usually more substantial. PC controls tend to offer far more option to a gamer. Like a control pad? Yep, PC can do that too if you prefer.

I am a PC gamer at heart but the investment in terms of money and time has grown to be too much for me as free time diminishes. It's easier to keep up with consoles, IMO.

Link Posted: 10/11/2011 11:14:09 AM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I hope in 2 years the next gen consoles has all the specs off the high end computers now.

i7 4.0ghz, 32 gigs ram, 1tb hard drive, No disc format, high definition sound card.

Hell maybe even upgradeable.

It is much more satisfying to play on a 42 inch high definition 1080p screen from the comfort of your couch.

And that is why the consoles will stay king

You know that's possible on a PC, right? I've got a couple of people in my EvE guild that use a 55" to run multiple clients.

My desktop is connected to my 50in plasma and a 27in lcd in my living room.
Link Posted: 10/11/2011 11:15:11 AM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

NO!

Could be a couple of reason. They are like mac users who simply hate consoles and don't have any better arugement than "PC graphics are better" or they simply like polished turds in pretty boxes.
Link Posted: 10/11/2011 11:19:08 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

That's the point.  The Hotest, most intense Console gamers were being FRAGGED by Joe off the street.    Which means poor console sales.  Or a shit-ton of "helping" for the console players.  Like a Planetside Cone of Fire ring or auto aiming.

Cross platform play was one of the big selling points with the launch of Microsoft's Games Live initiative back in 2007-2008.  Shadowrun was the only title that got out the door, and it was a disaster.  Professional console gamers got slaughtered.  It took built-in handicaps for them, like rubberband aiming, weapon damage biases, and multiplayer network traffic biases, just to keep it from being painfully obvious that it was a sick joke.  To put that in perspective, just to keep it from being a 100% lopsided slaughter, they had to build in the kind of help that is normally provided by hacks and would get you banned from gaming services like Xbox live and Steam.  Even then the PC players cleaned up.

Microsoft quietly killed any notion of PC - Xbox cross platform play after that.  I worked at MS Flight Simulator (ACES Studios) with a significant chunk of the developers who had formerly worked on Shadowrun at FASA, so I heard all these stories first-hand from the people who built the game.

Cross platform play with Games Live was also going to be a big part of the launch of a PC port of Halo 3.

Notice that there is no PC port of Halo 3.  Anyone care to guess why...?  
Page / 3
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top