Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 7/30/2015 8:04:25 AM EDT
[#1]
Hopefully I own page two of my own thread.
Link Posted: 7/30/2015 8:23:15 AM EDT
[#2]
TN State Code:
 .....each year it is "the duty of the governor of this state to proclaim" July 13 as "General Nathan Bedford Forrest Day."   This is the day I observe.  (whether it was law or not)
Link Posted: 7/30/2015 8:24:15 AM EDT
[#3]
The first Memorial day was April 26 1866 in Columbus, GA. The idea caught on from there and was claimed by Northerners was their idea. So ours was changed to Confederate Memorial day.
Here is a great book on the subject that presents overwhelming evidence showing Columbus as the originator of Memorial Day. http://www.amazon.com/Genesis-Memorial-Day-Holiday/dp/069229225X/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1438258755&sr=8-1&keywords=daniel+bellware

So, April 26 is it.
Link Posted: 7/30/2015 8:40:43 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I've never seen anyone celebrate it in Texas.

Now, Independence day?  Yeah.  Every March 2nd.  Lots of towns have Texas Independence day parades.
View Quote

This.  

And Texas Independence FTW
Link Posted: 7/30/2015 8:52:22 AM EDT
[#5]
Hey, Pic! We need CBF QSL cards!
Link Posted: 7/30/2015 9:13:10 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Agreed.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
I've never seen anyone celebrate it in Texas.

Now, Independence day?  Yeah.  Every March 2nd.  Lots of towns have Texas Independence day parades.

this. Texan's don't give a crap about confederate anything

That is not accurate.

Agreed.

We celebrate Confederate Heroes' Day on Jan. 19. State employees get the day off.
Link Posted: 7/30/2015 9:54:50 AM EDT
[#7]

It's May 10th here in NC

Link Posted: 7/30/2015 10:01:20 AM EDT
[#8]
April 26th here in GA.
Link Posted: 7/30/2015 10:05:56 AM EDT
[#9]
According to wiki: In the spring of 1866 the Ladies Memorial Association of Columbus, Georgia passed a resolution to set aside one day annually to memorialize the Confederate dead. Additionally, the secretary of the association, Mrs. Charles J. (Mary Ann) Williams was directed to author a letter inviting the ladies in every Southern state to join them in the observance.[1] The letter was written in March 1866 and sent to all of the principal cities in the South, including Atlanta, Macon, Montgomery, Memphis, Richmond, St. Louis, Alexandria, Columbia, New Orleans, et al.
The date for the holiday was selected by Mrs. Elizabeth "Lizzie" Rutherford Ellis.[2] She chose April 26, the first anniversary of Confederate General Johnston's final surrender to Union General Sherman at Bennett Place, NC. For many in the South, that marked the official end of the Civil War.[1]

Joe
Link Posted: 7/30/2015 10:06:18 AM EDT
[#10]
To me it is trying to black wash American History.  You can't change the past. Just learn from it and just make things better for the future.

To me, the best day to fly the flag is MLK day.
Link Posted: 7/30/2015 10:39:27 AM EDT
[#11]
January 1 to December 31

1/2 mast on appropriate days.

1/2 width hung lower than the USA flag(the next in line for assault on America by the progressive douchebags)
unless flying a state flag, than 1/2 width hung lower than state flag.

all other flags a full width lower than the above posted..

Link Posted: 7/30/2015 10:44:37 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
I think I'll run with the last Monday in April.
View Quote

Good choice.  You obviously made the effort to inform yourself on this topic.

I doubt that many here are aware that the tradition of setting aside a day to honor America's war dead grew out of the suggestion of a group of ladies in Georgia that flowers be placed of the graves of our Civil War dead on that date.
Link Posted: 7/30/2015 10:56:39 AM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 7/30/2015 10:59:16 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
The first Memorial day was April 26 1866 in Columbus, GA. The idea caught on from there and was claimed by Northerners was their idea. So ours was changed to Confederate Memorial day.
Here is a great book on the subject that presents overwhelming evidence showing Columbus as the originator of Memorial Day. http://www.amazon.com/Genesis-Memorial-Day-Holiday/dp/069229225X/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1438258755&sr=8-1&keywords=daniel+bellware

So, April 26 is it.
View Quote

Anyone spending some time in Columbus should check out the National Infantry Museum and the  National Civil War Naval MuseumI've been to both and really enjoyed them.
Link Posted: 7/30/2015 11:00:27 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

I doubt that many here are aware that the tradition of setting aside a day to honor America's war dead grew out of the suggestion of a group of ladies in Georgia that flowers be placed of the graves of our Civil War dead on that date.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I think I'll run with the last Monday in April.

Thanks, Jane.

I knew better than to ask these wildmen anything without doing at least SOME homework.

I may be a bit crazy but I am not stupid.

Incidentally, Dr_Dickie just said about the kindest thing anyone has ever said about me. I am humbled.

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top