Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

FDNY if they're smart...
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Where are they going to go work after they quit?

FDNY if they're smart...

A lot harder to get hired by FDNY.
Link Posted: 11/22/2014 6:06:40 AM EDT
[#2]
"Vertical Patrols" under criticism

It’s a daunting and dangerous assignment — patrolling the darkened stairwells of the city’s most violent buildings.

The NYPD calls them “vertical patrols.”

The crime-fighting tactic has been a lightning rod for years — assailed by critics who say they lead to unjustified trespassing busts and hailed by cops as critical to curtailing drug dealing and other crimes.
View Quote

Experts say the patrols — which start on the roof and proceed to the basement — present a harrowing range of risks.

Cops, many of them rookies, are forced to make split-second decisions in tight, dark spaces.
View Quote
Link Posted: 11/22/2014 6:19:23 AM EDT
[#3]
NYPD shot someone in the projects?  You don't say </extorris>
Link Posted: 11/22/2014 6:35:56 AM EDT
[#4]
Too bad FDNY isn't looking for 35,000 men........
Link Posted: 11/22/2014 6:56:04 AM EDT
[#5]
My dumb mistake
Link Posted: 11/22/2014 9:59:28 AM EDT
[#6]
Rookie cops often assigned to dangerous "vertical patrols"

Fresh-faced rookie cops are thrown right into the fire when they graduate the Police Academy — policing the stairwells of crime-ridden housing projects across the city on a beat called “vertical patrols.”
Working in pairs, the officers ride the elevator to the top floor of some of the most dangerous buildings in the five boroughs and work their way down the stairs from the roof to the lobby to look for criminal activity.
View Quote

Rookies get shitty assignments? NO WAY !!!
Link Posted: 11/22/2014 10:02:23 AM EDT
[#7]
"Living in fear at the dark and deadly hellhole houses"

Dark hallways, a lack of security cameras and spotty elevator service are par for the course in Brooklyn’s notorious Louis H. Pink Houses, which tenants say is completely neglected by the city.
View Quote

“The lights are always out, for the past three years,” said Angela Moore, who shakes her keys in the hallway so people can hear her coming. “It’s like a dark tube.”
Veronica Newsome, a seventh-floor tenant said, “I have a 19-year-old grandson, and I’m scared to death.”
View Quote
Link Posted: 11/22/2014 10:02:57 AM EDT
[#8]
East New York is the toughest projects in the city. No excuse for an ND or bad shoot , but it's the toughest hood in the hood.
Link Posted: 11/22/2014 10:04:02 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
East New York is the toughest projects in the city. No excuse for an ND or bad shoot , but it's the toughest hood in the hood.
View Quote

I'd give Brownsville top honors.
Link Posted: 11/22/2014 10:09:39 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
They just said on the news the officer ND'd into a wall, and the round ricocheted and struck the victim in the chest.
View Quote

THAT sounds more plausible though I do raise a brow that a NYC cop could actually hit a wall in one shot. Then again, hitting bystanders is their forte so I guess it's all good.
Link Posted: 11/22/2014 10:11:12 AM EDT
[#11]
One of Rev. Al's guys just said on the news that this wouldn't have happened if the officer had his pistol's safety on. *facepalm*
He also went on to say that rookies shouldn't be doing this type of assignment. I'm sure the senior guys will give up their cars to go do foot patrol.
Link Posted: 11/22/2014 10:12:49 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Some community activist just said on the news that this wouldn't have happened if the officer had his pistol's safety on. *facepalm*
View Quote

Well, it wouldn't.

I've seen movies. I've heard them click Glock safeties off many times. True story. Even DEA agents utilize in classroom instruction.
Link Posted: 11/22/2014 10:18:48 AM EDT
[#13]
Al's on the case.

Gurley’s sister, along with mother of his daughter, were slated to appear Saturday with the Rev. Al Sharpton.
View Quote
Link Posted: 11/22/2014 10:22:58 AM EDT
[#14]
Al was all but gone over the last 20 years of law and order mayors.   Along comes Deblasio and inside of a year he's running the show again.
Link Posted: 11/22/2014 10:24:10 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Al was all but gone over the last 20 years of law and order mayors.   Along comes Deblasio and inside of a year he's running the show again.
View Quote

Poor Charlie Barron pushed aside again.
Link Posted: 11/22/2014 10:29:40 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
From Extorris' link:

"Bratton press conference:

"Accidental shooting"
"A very unfortunate tragedy involving an accidental discharge"
"One round fired"
"Performing vertical patrol"
"Stairwell was pitch black with non-operable lights"
"Probationary officer"
"Deceased is a total innocent"

Damn, talk about throwing him under the bus.

View Quote

If it was a true ND then I have no problem with tossing him under the bus as opposed to everyone lying through their teeth trying to cover it up. All that does is create distrust of every shooting even if they were 100% justified.

Gotta wonder if the officer were using flashlights if the lighting was poor.

Does the NYPD have lights on their firearms? Hopefully, if they do, this officer wasn't using it to shine the surroundings.

Link Posted: 11/22/2014 10:32:34 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Does the NYPD have lights on their firearms?
View Quote

Supposedly had one in his hand. No weapon lights.
Link Posted: 11/22/2014 10:36:04 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Takes about 3 seconds to put one on my G19.

I swear I have more specialty flashlights then tools on my vehicle.
Link Posted: 11/22/2014 10:46:10 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yep, not authorized though.
Link Posted: 11/23/2014 9:21:34 AM EDT
[#20]
Protestors call for arrest of cop

A sea of angry demonstrators marched to the NYPD’s 75th precinct stationhouse Saturday night demanding the arrest of the rookie cop who shot to death an unarmed man in Brooklyn.

Roughly 200 protesters massed outside the stationhouse pelting officers with chants comparing the NYPD to the Ku Klux Klan.

“NYPD, KKK, how many kids you kill today?” the demonstrators chanted.

Rep. Charles Barron, hollering into a microphone, whipped the crowd into an emotional frenzy.
View Quote
Link Posted: 11/23/2014 9:27:28 AM EDT
[#21]
Wanted poster of cop posted in the projects

Residents at the notorious Louis Pink Houses gave a thumbs-up Saturday night to the latest notices to be taped to their lobby walls: posters reading “THIS IS THE FACE OF A KILLER” and purporting to feature the cop who accidentally shot dead an unarmed civilian in a stairwell.
Officer Peter Liang “ambushed and murdered 28-year-old Akai Gurley in front of his girlfriend in cold blood,” read the posters, hung seven floors down from where Gurley was killed.
Additional posters purportedly show pictures of Liang, accused Staten Island chokehold cop Daniel Pantaleo and Ferguson, Mo., Officer Darren Wilson, who is awaiting a grand-jury determination in the ­fatal shooting of unarmed teen Michael Brown.
View Quote

Holy bad grammar. Strunk & White and rolling in their graves.

Link Posted: 11/23/2014 9:30:37 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

Our the outside corners in the staircase that are smeared with shit where people have wiped their asses on them after shitting in the staircase.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Wait until you see the steel in the stairs rot away from the urine

Our the outside corners in the staircase that are smeared with shit where people have wiped their asses on them after shitting in the staircase.

Link Posted: 11/23/2014 9:31:40 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

With one exception.

It's NOT a tunnel in Vietnam during the Vietnam conflict.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
If it's a bad shoot, then doom on him.

However, patrolling the stairwells of projects looks like being a tunnel rat in VN with enough room to stand up.

http://www.picturagallery.com/portfolio/antonio-bolfo-impact/#prettyPhoto

With one exception.

It's NOT a tunnel in Vietnam during the Vietnam conflict.

So, why don't you hop in there?
Link Posted: 11/23/2014 9:33:55 AM EDT
[#24]
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Residents at the notorious Louis Pink Houses gave a thumbs-up Saturday night to the latest notices to be taped to their lobby walls: posters reading “THIS IS THE FACE OF A KILLER” and purporting to feature the cop who accidentally shot dead an unarmed civilian in a stairwell.
Officer Peter Liang “ambushed and murdered 28-year-old Akai Gurley in front of his girlfriend in cold blood,” read the posters, hung seven floors down from where Gurley was killed.
Additional posters purportedly show pictures of Liang, accused Staten Island chokehold cop Daniel Pantaleo and Ferguson, Mo., Officer Darren Wilson, who is awaiting a grand-jury determination in the ­fatal shooting of unarmed teen Michael Brown.

It's time to pull out of NYC and Ferguson...it's not worth anymore American lives.
Link Posted: 11/23/2014 9:37:46 AM EDT
[#25]
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Close the projects down and kick out all the leeches of society.

Worst thing govt ever did was build housing and hand out free food and then expect people to actually want to better themselves.
Link Posted: 11/23/2014 9:38:52 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

Talking to your union delegate.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Both officers were taken to Jamaica Hospital, where they were treated for tinnitus.

What is the treatment for that

And 6 months paid medical leave and an assignment to the best part of town. (day watch, weekends off.)
Link Posted: 11/23/2014 9:40:23 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
So a NYPC cop fires once, actually hits what he intended to shoot and the guy dues from a center of mass shot?

I'm calling bullshit.

View Quote

I'm going to say he was trying to shoot out the lights for a stealth retreat and missed the light fixture.
Link Posted: 11/23/2014 9:44:07 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

And 6 months paid medical leave and an assignment to the best part of town. (day watch, weekends off.)
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Both officers were taken to Jamaica Hospital, where they were treated for tinnitus.

Not on NYPD.
Link Posted: 11/23/2014 9:50:41 AM EDT
[#29]
Meh, dumbass twitchy cop with his finger on the trigger. Don't know if I would pin a crime on him but he was certainly negligent.
Link Posted: 11/23/2014 10:06:18 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

Worst thing govt ever did was build housing and hand out free food and then expect people to actually want to better themselves.
View Quote

I'm actually of the opinions that the old high rise style projects were a better example of welfare - they concentrated the scum and kept them out of decent neighborhoods.

Much better than what replaced it, Section 8.  
Link Posted: 11/23/2014 10:08:51 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
So the NYPD in it's infinite wisdom puts the cops with the least experience in the worst possible situation as a matter of routine? What the fuck are they thinking? The captions said that it's supposed to be a 6 month tour but many of them had already been there for 2 years. I can't believe the stupidity at work here.

Trial by fire, no FTOs. We had some on Impact posts for over 3 years.

How in the hell do you keep your recruits from quitting in droves?

Are you telling me there aren't jobs to be had in NYC? Nothing?
Link Posted: 11/23/2014 10:09:25 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

I'm actually of the opinions that the old high rise style projects were a better example of welfare - they concentrated the scum and kept them out of decent neighborhoods.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Doesn't matter where you put them, they remain the same.
Link Posted: 11/23/2014 10:09:32 AM EDT
[#33]
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Dark hallways, a lack of security cameras and spotty elevator service are par for the course in Brooklyn’s notorious Louis H. Pink Houses, which tenants say is completely neglected by the city.

“The lights are always out, for the past three years,” said Angela Moore, who shakes her keys in the hallway so people can hear her coming. “It’s like a dark tube.”
Veronica Newsome, a seventh-floor tenant said, “I have a 19-year-old grandson, and I’m scared to death.”

Meh, fuck them. Every time the city fixes something, they break it again within hours.
Link Posted: 11/23/2014 10:10:15 AM EDT
[#34]
Is there ever going to be one of these stories where we don't have to see an avalanche of pics of the 'victim' parading around in his Gang Wear?  

And the 18 year old baby-momma clutching the beaded-hair toddler is a classic touch.
Link Posted: 11/23/2014 10:11:22 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
So the NYPD in it's infinite wisdom puts the cops with the least experience in the worst possible situation as a matter of routine? What the fuck are they thinking? The captions said that it's supposed to be a 6 month tour but many of them had already been there for 2 years. I can't believe the stupidity at work here.

Trial by fire, no FTOs. We had some on Impact posts for over 3 years.

How in the hell do you keep your recruits from quitting in droves?

That pay $100k with those bennies, retirement after 22 years, and pension?
Link Posted: 11/23/2014 10:11:26 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Profess how much it 'doesn't matter where you put them' when a pack of them move on to your block.  
Link Posted: 11/23/2014 10:12:55 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
It sounds like we need more training in statistics and not so much of the "get home safe" crap.   It's NOT Mogadishu or Kabul out there.  There are a million officers in the United States, and fewer then 70 or 80 will be killed as a victim of a violent act each year.  Those are pretty damn good odds of "getting home safe".  Criminal victimization is down over 70% over the last 40 years, but some LEO's seem to think their in a war.  There isn't any war, and LEO's aren't soldiers.  
We need to tone it down.  
View Quote

Never worked in East New York, huh?
Link Posted: 11/23/2014 10:14:38 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

Meh, fuck them. Every time the city fixes something, they break it again within hours.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

"They can't break these new locks"
Link Posted: 11/23/2014 10:20:04 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

Profess how much it 'doesn't matter where you put them' when a pack of them move on to your block.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

That's why I live in the country.

As far as doesn't matter where you put them, I'm simply talking about THEIR behavior, not the deleterious effect they have on the area around them.
Link Posted: 11/23/2014 10:20:52 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

A few years back they knocked down a couple of the mid-rises in Jersey City.

All the "gentrifying" up-and-coming neighborhoods quickly went to shit.
Link Posted: 11/23/2014 10:24:23 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

That Tinnitus commercial says take this pill, side effects may cause headaches, nausea, ringing of the ears, strokes,memory loss, sudden death, difficulty breathing,loose stools and dementia.  
Link Posted: 11/23/2014 10:25:45 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

That Tinnitus commercial says take this pill, side effects may cause headaches, nausea, ringing of the ears, strokes,memory loss, sudden death, difficulty breathing,loose stools and dementia.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Stop taking immediately if you have any of these side effects….
Link Posted: 11/23/2014 10:27:18 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
I just had a look at this photo essay and read the captions. So the NYPD in it's infinite wisdom puts the cops with the least experience in the worst possible situation as a matter of routine? What the fuck are they thinking? The captions said that it's supposed to be a 6 month tour but many of them had already been there for 2 years. I can't believe the stupidity at work here. Why in the world would you want to put fresh academy graduates in a situation like the one that exists in these shithole projects? They should at least partner these kids with somebody that's been around for a while, although I'm sure union seniority precludes that possibility.
View Quote

They have rookies do it because they're the only ones who will. Send a guy with time, someone who knows the score, into the projects for Vertical Patrol, and he'll just disappear.

The NYPD doesn't like putting new guys with anyone who has time; guys with time know the score.
Link Posted: 11/23/2014 10:28:54 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
Send a guy with time, someone who knows the score, into the projects for Vertical Patrol, and he'll just disappear.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Send a guy with time, someone who knows the score, into the projects for Vertical Patrol, and he'll just disappear.

I'd be in the record room playing Angry Birds or watching a dvd.

Quoted:
The NYPD doesn't like putting new guys with anyone who has time; guys with time know the score.

One of our precinct C.O.s actively discouraged it. He told the Impact Sgt. to keep them away from the regular patrol guys on midnights.
Link Posted: 11/23/2014 10:32:50 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

You're right. Close the projects and move all the residents to... all white neighborhoods. Gotta create racial harmony and it's worked so well in the past!!
Link Posted: 11/23/2014 10:33:26 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

One of our precinct C.O.s actively discouraged it. He told the Impact Sgt. to keep them away from the regular patrol guys on midnights.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

Well, c'mon... can you blame him? Midnight guys are animals.
Link Posted: 11/23/2014 10:34:44 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

Because there is no way a competent shooting investigation could be done in this much time.  Bratton's made up his mind, screw the facts.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
From Extorris' link:

"Bratton press conference:

"Accidental shooting"
"A very unfortunate tragedy involving an accidental discharge"
"One round fired"
"Performing vertical patrol"
"Stairwell was pitch black with non-operable lights"
"Probationary officer"
"Deceased is a total innocent"

Damn, talk about throwing him under the bus.

It sounds like that's the truth.

How is it "throwing him under the bus" stating the truth?

Because there is no way a competent shooting investigation could be done in this much time.  Bratton's made up his mind, screw the facts.

Maybe they asked the rookie and that is exactly what he told them happened.
Link Posted: 11/23/2014 10:35:47 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

FDNY if they're smart...

How about Newark or Easr Rutherford, NJ?
Link Posted: 11/23/2014 10:38:14 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
View Quote

Hey, we were housebroken.
Link Posted: 11/23/2014 10:41:35 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

So were the Huns.
Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top