Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 6
Link Posted: 7/30/2015 5:28:30 PM EDT
[#1]
All's fun and games with burglarizing homes until you get shot at. Then it's all, "I dindu nuffins!" until people believe your story, which apparently didn't take long here
Link Posted: 7/30/2015 5:28:40 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
OK but does that mean a town cannot have a unique contract , or OT provisions in their contract?
I don't believe PFRS has anything to do with individual town contracts, do they?  

View Quote

They could have a separate retirement fund primarily run by the town, but they would also need to be in the pension fund by the state.

They don't take pension contributions out for any OT, only for base pay.  If the officer retires, anything outside of the states pension would fall on the town. Which is something I find hard to believe, but possible.
Link Posted: 7/30/2015 5:31:47 PM EDT
[#3]

Thread winner
Link Posted: 7/30/2015 5:38:42 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

At 2:00am I bet they were intending to break in but the cop shouldn't have shot at people who might have been breaking in and sure as hell weren't a threat running away. Any non cop would be sitting in a jail cell trying to come up with bond. Shit like this is why I believe police are no longer citizens, because they are held to a different unwritten set of laws.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I am not immediately inclined to believe the story of the teenagers.

At 2:00am I bet they were intending to break in but the cop shouldn't have shot at people who might have been breaking in and sure as hell weren't a threat running away. Any non cop would be sitting in a jail cell trying to come up with bond. Shit like this is why I believe police are no longer citizens, because they are held to a different unwritten set of laws.

I am sure that i can count on you as being for federalizing the police right?
Link Posted: 7/30/2015 5:46:52 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
One of my friends is a 15 year veteran in a town PD in jersey, he makes $114,000.00 before OT  

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
How much do NJ Troopers make? That's...a way nicer house than I would have imagined.

About as much as a ten year associate attorney in a defense litigation firm who doesn't have the talent or
ambition to make a book of business does in Cleveland

No shit, and they get a pension, lifetime health care and carry no student loan debt which makes it well over twice as much
in the long run.
One of my friends is a 15 year veteran in a town PD in jersey, he makes $114,000.00 before OT  

Right in the ballpark of my suggestion
Link Posted: 7/30/2015 5:48:32 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
All's fun and games with burglarizing homes until you get shot at. Then it's all, "I dindu nuffins!" until people believe your story, which apparently didn't take long here
View Quote

That's why they're the ones who called the police.
Link Posted: 7/30/2015 5:49:54 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 7/30/2015 5:53:10 PM EDT
[#8]
I can make up to6 figures as a fucking trooper with a mere 2 year degree? Jesus
Link Posted: 7/30/2015 5:55:05 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
How much do NJ Troopers make? That's...a way nicer house than I would have imagined.
View Quote

After 5 years well over 6 figures.
Link Posted: 7/30/2015 5:58:54 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
I can make up to6 figures as a fucking trooper with a mere 2 year degree? Jesus
View Quote

Not bad.

But some towns required a H.S. and make more than that.
Link Posted: 7/30/2015 5:59:41 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I believe the state is on a 10 year step program.
Link Posted: 7/30/2015 6:01:41 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Because they dindu nuffin, right?
Link Posted: 7/30/2015 6:02:20 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

"None of the teens were hit or injured, but all three were found by police about two miles away and kept in custody for more than nine hours before being released without charges.

Barkhorn told NJ.com they were treated as criminal suspects — getting searched repeatedly and handcuffed — and they could tell police dogs and helicopters were used to track them down."

If they called police, why were they "found after being tracked down" and why were police using dogs and helicopterS to find them???
Link Posted: 7/30/2015 6:07:21 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
they usually pull a lot of OT.

the tweet on hitting a narc in the face with a brick is not going to go well, nor is the picture of him and his punk buddies throwing gang signs. for all we know it was a targeted attack
View Quote

Oh my lord! A social media post that was made to make him sound like a badass

"Gang signs"? Really? One dude with the shaka sign, one dude throwing double devil horns, and one dude giving the finger. Which of these are we considering "gang signs"?
Link Posted: 7/30/2015 6:08:06 PM EDT
[#15]
Dude needs his guns taken away until he can behave like an adult.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 7/30/2015 6:14:32 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

How is it irrelevant? I asked where did you read investigation was over? I think that's very relevant when it comes to a one sided news article.

If case is closed then its over and no charges will be filed, then I could possibly understand some view's here that come across as anti-law enforcement.  

On the other hand,  If the case is not closed, then there is possible looming charges for the off-duty officer or the kids.

Perhaps we should wait till the investigation is complete and all the facts are out there???
View Quote

Why wasn't the cop immediately arrested? Do you honestly think that if anyone other than a cop shot at a car full of unarmed, fleeing teenagers in NJ, we'd see the same treatment here? That's why it's irrelevant.

It's also irrelevant because he's still on the job, which is highly unusual when a cop shoots at people and the investigation isn't done yet.

It's further irrelevant because the teenagers WERE arrested. If the investigation wasn't closed yet, why were the other parties arrested and held for 9 hours?
Link Posted: 7/30/2015 6:28:57 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Why wasn't the cop immediately arrested? Do you honestly think that if anyone other than a cop shot at a car full of unarmed, fleeing teenagers in NJ, we'd see the same treatment here? That's why it's irrelevant.

It's also irrelevant because he's still on the job, which is highly unusual when a cop shoots at people and the investigation isn't done yet.

It's further irrelevant because the teenagers WERE arrested. If the investigation wasn't closed yet, why were the other parties arrested and held for 9 hours?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

How is it irrelevant? I asked where did you read investigation was over? I think that's very relevant when it comes to a one sided news article.

If case is closed then its over and no charges will be filed, then I could possibly understand some view's here that come across as anti-law enforcement.  

On the other hand,  If the case is not closed, then there is possible looming charges for the off-duty officer or the kids.

Perhaps we should wait till the investigation is complete and all the facts are out there???

So the police, according to one of the teens from news article on page 1, who used dogs and helicopterS to TRACK them down, should have bought them some nice hot chocolate, took their statements and immediately arrested the off-duty officer, seized his weapons and sent him straight to the gallows behind the courthouse???

None of this makes any sense and it's all one sided coming from one of the teens and his mommy who wasn't there......
Link Posted: 7/30/2015 6:32:57 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

So the police, according to one of the teens from news article on page 1, who used dogs and helicopterS to TRACK them down, should have bought them some nice hot chocolate, took their statements and immediately arrested the off-duty officer, seized his weapons and sent him straight to the gallows behind the courthouse???

None of this makes any sense and it's all one sided coming from one of the teens and his mommy who wasn't there......
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yeah, all of that couldn't have possibly been an overreaction because it was a cop involved.

Link Posted: 7/30/2015 6:33:20 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
We've both been here a long time - we both know there are folks in GD that have said that knocking on the door at ~2AM results in an armed response and shooting at a fleeing car is GTG because of the possibility that the people were burglars/robbers.
View Quote

You aren't even good at straw men arguements.  That's just sad.
Link Posted: 7/30/2015 6:35:01 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

View Quote

The teens who, by a plain reading of the information available to date, are the victims of criminal activities against them?  Perhaps being nice to them would be appropriate.
Link Posted: 7/30/2015 6:37:56 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

Yeah, all of that couldn't have possibly been an overreaction because it was a cop involved.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Several folks here are reporting it was the teens and NOT the off duty officer who called police......
Link Posted: 7/30/2015 6:38:52 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

The teens who, by a plain reading of the information available to date, are the victims of criminal activities against them?  Perhaps being nice to them would be appropriate.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Said information given by said teens?
Link Posted: 7/30/2015 6:40:53 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

Several folks here are reporting it was the teens and NOT the off duty officer who called police......
View Quote

So the kids who were up to no good call the cops, but the cop - after firing shots - doesn't?

Yeah, that totally looks great for the cop, and supports the idea of arresting the teens and not the cop who opened fire at them in a residential neighborhood.
Link Posted: 7/30/2015 6:41:21 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
View Quote

Indeed
Link Posted: 7/30/2015 6:43:59 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

There's plenty of information still available outside of that:
- The officer used deadly force on them
- The officer is still on the job and not on administrative leave
- The agency hasn't bothered to make a press release or conference about the reasonable threat to the officer or others that made the officer resort to deadly force
Link Posted: 7/30/2015 6:44:53 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

So they kid who were up to no good call the cops, but the cop - after firing shots - doesn't?

Yeah, that totally looks great for the cop, and supports the idea of arresting the teens and not the cop who opened fire at them in a residential neighborhood.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

So they kid who were up to no good call the cops, but the cop - after firing shots - doesn't?

You're catching on.... None of this makes any sense based on what the teens are saying, and surely the media wouldn't selectively release information to juice up a story.....

Link Posted: 7/30/2015 6:45:50 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

You're catching on.... None of this makes any sense based on what the teens are saying, and surely the media wouldn't selectively release information to juice up a story.....

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

How many criminals - even stupid ones - do you know who call the police even when things go south on them?
Link Posted: 7/30/2015 6:46:33 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

- The agency hasn't bothered to make a press release or conference about the reasonable threat to the officer or others that made the officer resort to deadly force
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

So take the teens word as the gospel and not wait for additional details and facts to come out?

Link Posted: 7/30/2015 6:48:52 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

How many criminals - even stupid ones - do you know who call the police even when things go south on them?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Off Duty cop shoots at three unarmed kids who only knocked on his door...  Yea, I'm not buying he didn't call thinking no one would ever know
Link Posted: 7/30/2015 6:50:59 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
I am not immediately inclined to believe the story of the teenagers.

Oh yes local police acting like the ATF sounds like great fun.
Link Posted: 7/30/2015 6:51:56 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

Off Duty cop shoots at three unarmed kids who only knocked on his door...  Yea, I'm not buying he didn't call thinking no one would ever know
View Quote

Maybe he did, but the point is ... so did the unarmed kids. Who, if they were burglars or other miscreants, would almost certainly not have invited the man into their lives.
Link Posted: 7/30/2015 6:54:48 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
So take the teens word as the gospel and not wait for additional details and facts to come out?

http://i1064.photobucket.com/albums/u373/gbcop9c1/Mobile%20Uploads/C224FBF4-4655-4F99-B0C1-8FBE47BD6899_zpsxlj43bdk.jpg
View Quote

It's a discussion board.  If you aren't willing to have discussions of current events based on the information available then maybe this isn't the right place for you.
Link Posted: 7/30/2015 6:55:35 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
I thought the whole point of shooting at people was that you didn't HAVE to chase them

This guy's making it more difficult than it need to be; let the bullets do the work.  

View Quote

Link Posted: 7/30/2015 6:57:46 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

Maybe he did, but the point is ... so did the unarmed kids. Who, if they were burglars or other miscreants, would almost certainly not have invited the man into their lives.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

If they called, why did police have to track them down with dogs and helicopterS??? As stated by one of the teens...  I'm assuming here, but almost sounds like to me they were up to no good which lead up to an off duty officer firing a gun at them, and after their getaway off duty officer called and located the kids who stashed the car and were hiding on foot(how else could one of teens say he heard dogs tracking them?), then after being located and detained by police called their mommy...

Who knows...  Will just have to wait for the conclusion of the investigation.
Link Posted: 7/30/2015 6:58:27 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

You still have to live in New Jersey. What's that worth?
Link Posted: 7/30/2015 6:59:19 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

It's a discussion board.  If you aren't willing to have discussions of current events based on the information available then maybe this isn't the right place for you.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

http://i1064.photobucket.com/albums/u373/gbcop9c1/Mobile%20Uploads/C224FBF4-4655-4F99-B0C1-8FBE47BD6899_zpsxlj43bdk.jpg

Link Posted: 7/30/2015 7:01:38 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

View Quote

In the meantime, we'll arrest the kids who got shot at, and leave the cop who shot at them on duty.

Seems totally reasonable and inspires great confidence and respect amongst the public.
Link Posted: 7/30/2015 7:08:23 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

In the meantime, we'll arrest the kids who got shot at, and leave the cop who shot at them on duty.

Seems totally reasonable and inspires great confidence and respect amongst the public.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Arrested? What were they charged with?? Or could it be they were detained during the course of a criminal investigation of an incident that just occurred?

Same police who released the teens without charges and haven't charged the off-duty officer obviously have more information about this at this point.  

You may think I'm an idiot , but I always enjoy a good debate with an attorney
Link Posted: 7/30/2015 7:13:13 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

Arrested? What were they charged with?? Or could it be they were detained during the course of a criminal investigation over an incident that just occurred?

Same police who released the teens without charges and haven't charged the off-duty officer obviously have more information about this at this point.  

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Arrested? What were they charged with?? Or could it be they were detained during the course of a criminal investigation over an incident that just occurred?

You can be arrested without being charged - right? They were held in custody for 9 hours. Most people would call that "arrested."

Meanwhile, you still haven't even addressed why the guy who fired the shots wasn't similarly arrested, or why he's still on the job pending the outcome of the investigation.

I don't think you're an idiot, I think you're deliberately looking for excuses for a cop that did something incredibly stupid.
Link Posted: 7/30/2015 7:23:12 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

You can be arrested without being charged - right? They were held in custody for 9 hours. Most people would call that "arrested."

Meanwhile, you still haven't even addressed why the guy who fired the shots wasn't similarly arrested, or why he's still on the job pending the outcome of the investigation.

I don't think you're an idiot, I think you're deliberately looking for excuses for a cop that did something incredibly stupid.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I think it's safe to say no gun was found on teens or in the car. So the possibility exists one of teens running from house to car was hollering get the "piece", "gun" or whatever? And when off duty officer was chasing them one of kids pointed something that may have resembled a gun at him?  Maybe he was "only"(granted no agency I worked for authorized this), was shooting at the tires at disable burglary suspects vehicle.  Maybe when teens were fleeing in the car, the driver deliberately swerved towards him in an attempt to run him over.

I don't know based on limited information given only by teens at this point. By all means, if kids were knocking on his door, beating on it... And he came downstairs with a pistol.  I don't think anyone can argue that being at home, asleep at 1:30am and being woken up under these circumstances wouldn't warrant going to the door with a gun... After exchanging unknown at this time words, and then if in fact kids ran to their car and were driving off and he ran into street firing at them.... You have my vote to charge him....

Still doesn't change the fact we only have information from teens.. To crucify the officer based on that is wrong IMHO until all the details/facts come out.
Link Posted: 7/30/2015 7:28:21 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

I think it's safe to say no gun was found on teens or in the car. So the possibility exists one of teens running from house to car was hollering get the "piece", "gun" or whatever? And when off duty officer was chasing them one of kids pointed something that may have resembled a gun at him?  Maybe he was "only"(granted no agency I worked for authorized this), was shooting at the tires at possible burglary suspects.  Maybe when teens were fleeing in the car, the driver deliberately swerved towards him in an attempt to run him over.

I don't know based on limited information given only by teens at this point. By all means, if kids were knocking on his door, beating on it... And he came downstairs with a pistol.  I don't think anyone can argue that being at home, asleep at 1:30am and being woken up under these circumstances wouldn't warrant going to the door with a gun... After exchanging unknown at this time words, and then if in fact kids ran to their car and were driving off and he ran into street firing at them.... You have my vote to charge him....

Still doesn't change the fact that based on information we only have from teens.. To crucify the officer.
View Quote

Anything is "possible" if you're willing to wildly speculate about unlikely scenarios, or assume that unlikely policies exist.
Link Posted: 7/30/2015 7:30:01 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

Anything is "possible" if you're willing to wildly speculate about unlikely scenarios, or assume that unlikely policies exist.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I think it's safe to say no gun was found on teens or in the car. So the possibility exists one of teens running from house to car was hollering get the "piece", "gun" or whatever? And when off duty officer was chasing them one of kids pointed something that may have resembled a gun at him?  Maybe he was "only"(granted no agency I worked for authorized this), was shooting at the tires at possible burglary suspects.  Maybe when teens were fleeing in the car, the driver deliberately swerved towards him in an attempt to run him over.

Still doesn't change the fact that based on information we only have from teens.. To crucify the officer.

Like only taking the word of the teens?
Link Posted: 7/30/2015 7:32:33 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

The cop or the NJSP are welcome to set the record straight. Any time they want.
Link Posted: 7/30/2015 7:34:32 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

The two deadliest words any LE Agency can use... "No Comment".

I'm ready to see the final outcome of this myself.

****Edit****

And for the record, as an attorney are you suggesting someone involved in a criminal investigation make statements without the presence of an attorney?
Link Posted: 7/30/2015 7:41:30 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

View Quote

My magic 8 balls says, "not looking good"

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/off-duty-new-jersey-trooper-fires-at-unarmed-teens-who-knocked-at-his-door/

Link Posted: 7/30/2015 7:49:51 PM EDT
[#46]
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

My magic 8 balls says, "not looking good"

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/off-duty-new-jersey-trooper-fires-at-unarmed-teens-who-knocked-at-his-door/

Coming from the AG's office carries a lot more weight to me. At this point I agree it's not looking good for him.

Did you catch my edited comment above?
Link Posted: 7/30/2015 7:57:55 PM EDT
[#47]
Barreau, who has been on the force for six years, told investigators he identified himself as a police officer as he ran after the car, but Barkhorn said they never heard him say that.
View Quote

Even if he did, a guy in a house, in his pajamas has limited credibility when making such a claim.
Link Posted: 7/30/2015 8:00:15 PM EDT
[#48]
Oh I'd definitely tell him to shut up if he were my client.

But he's not. So, guilty.
Link Posted: 7/30/2015 8:00:53 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
Oh I'd definitely tell him to shut up if he were my client.

But he's not. So, guilty.
View Quote

Link Posted: 7/30/2015 8:03:33 PM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:
They could have a separate retirement fund primarily run by the town, but they would also need to be in the pension fund by the state.

They don't take pension contributions out for any OT, only for base pay.  If the officer retires, anything outside of the states pension would fall on the town. Which is something I find hard to believe, but possible.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

OK but does that mean a town cannot have a unique contract , or OT provisions in their contract?

I don't believe PFRS has anything to do with individual town contracts, do they?  

All I do know is how ever it was worked out his OT counts in with his base to achieve his final pension number.

I also know that new hires (very rare, no one ever leaves) the OT does not count in.

Page / 6
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top