Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 5/23/2015 1:59:17 AM EDT
[#1]
interesting
Link Posted: 5/23/2015 8:18:37 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I think these are cool as shit. Wish I had electronic skills.
View Quote

You can! There are many resources (books and videos) that will get you started and familiarized with it. These kits I have put together are the art equivalent of paint by numbers. They are really not that difficult. I have little doubt that most could do these. They do require patience, attention to detail, a minimun but working knowledge of electronics and soldering ability. I would suggest getting acquainted with that first. Understanding how to read a schematic is also helpful.

These kits tell you what part to put where and how to orient them. However, sometimes the silkscreen is hard to read or may be missing in a certain place. That's where knowing how to read a schematic really helps. I enjoy soldering and find it relaxing just soldering the components in place. The cool thing is that as you acquire more knowledge and skill, you are able to fix things and design projects that fit a need to your specific situation.
Link Posted: 5/23/2015 4:07:15 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
The GPS Modules have gotten very cheap (<$20), unless you want a good antenna.  The stock cheap one will get at least one satellite indoors for setting time.

Neatest blend of old and new was a Nixie Tube clock with GPS receiver for automatically setting the time, saw that one a few years ago.

I had an idea that would be very neat, but expensive, to make a Nixie tube GPS that showed your latitude and longitude, each with it's own line of tubes.  7 to 9 tubes per line, though.

View Quote

Yeah, you can make very accurate timepieces for a few extra bucks. The one I'm working on now can be powered by low voltage AC or DC. If AC, it will divide the mains frequency for the 1pps. If powered by DC, it will use it's on board crystal.

I like your GPS coordinates idea and you can still find smaller Russian surplus tubes fairly cheap. These IN-14 tubes even come with the HV drivers
Link Posted: 5/23/2015 9:07:28 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

You can! There are many resources (books and videos) that will get you started and familiarized with it. These kits I have put together are the art equivalent of paint by numbers. They are really not that difficult. I have little doubt that most could do these. They do require patience, attention to detail, a minimun but working knowledge of electronics and soldering ability. I would suggest getting acquainted with that first. Understanding how to read a schematic is also helpful.

These kits tell you what part to put where and how to orient them. However, sometimes the silkscreen is hard to read or may be missing in a certain place. That's where knowing how to read a schematic really helps. I enjoy soldering and find it relaxing just soldering the components in place. The cool thing is that as you acquire more knowledge and skill, you are able to fix things and design projects that fit a need to your specific situation.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thanks. I am going to look into this.
Link Posted: 5/23/2015 9:11:46 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Digital is so cold.  Tubes have that warm sound look.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I personally find the warm glow to be more pleasing to the eyes than LEDs.

Digital is so cold.  Tubes have that warm sound look.

What you did there... I see it.
Link Posted: 5/23/2015 9:11:59 PM EDT
[#6]
Neat!
Link Posted: 5/23/2015 9:14:33 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Already have my clocks lol.

Nixies make great clock displays.

http://<a href=http://i110.photobucket.com/albums/n90/Invader_Zim_/Nixichroncloseup.jpg

These are IN-18 tubes set up with a GPS reciever to sync with the satellite constellation to always keep perfect time.
View Quote

That's fuckin badass.
Link Posted: 5/24/2015 9:11:03 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I bought this book for my nephew. He's in the Air Force and wanted a hobby. He said it really helped him and had a lot of good info. It will get you familiarized with the fundamentals and building circuits in no time.
Link Posted: 5/27/2015 3:24:14 PM EDT
[#9]
I've been wanting to buy this one for a few years now... some how something always comes up first...  

One day
Blue Dream Nixie Clock
Link Posted: 5/27/2015 6:03:15 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
I've been wanting to buy this one for a few years now... some how something always comes up first...  

One day
Blue Dream Nixie Clock
View Quote

That'll be a nice clock! Maybe you could purchase the tubes now and the PCB later so its not such a big chunk all at once? Remember, the tube supply is finite, so the cost of them will only go up.
Link Posted: 5/28/2015 9:19:14 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

That'll be a nice clock! Maybe you could purchase the tubes now and the PCB later so its not such a big chunk all at once? Remember, the tube supply is finite, so the cost of them will only go up.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

One day
Blue Dream Nixie Clock

That's a good point.  I'm thinking im finally going to pull the trigger on this, but around Christmas time.  thinking it would be the perfect gift to myself lol

Edit:  Kinda odd that there isnt at least 1 manufacturer somewhere in the world that still produces the tubes... You'd think at least someone would even if it is just for shits and giggles
Link Posted: 5/28/2015 9:47:20 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

That's a good point.  I'm thinking im finally going to pull the trigger on this, but around Christmas time.  thinking it would be the perfect gift to myself lol

Edit:  Kinda odd that there isnt at least 1 manufacturer somewhere in the world that still produces the tubes... You'd think at least someone would even if it is just for shits and giggles
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

One day
Blue Dream Nixie Clock

The Soviets were making these things up to the early 90's, IIRC, that's probably why there is still a pretty good supply of those. I don't know about the German mfg, but American companies such as Burroughs probably stopped production some time in the 70's.

Financially, it would make no sense to keep the mfg equipment around to produce antiquated parts, so I'm sure that the equipment was likely scrapped. If I'm not mistaken though, there are some folks who have made their own. I'll have to dig around and see if I can find the info on that again.
Link Posted: 5/28/2015 9:49:08 AM EDT
[#13]
Thats awesome if they did make their own!  If you find anything about it post it up!
Link Posted: 5/28/2015 1:44:19 PM EDT
[#14]
Yea, some guys have attempted to make their own Nixie tubes.

http://hackaday.com/2013/11/07/homemade-nixie-tubes/
http://dalibor.farny.cz/another-update-digits-for-nixie-tubes/

How it all started:
http://dalibor.farny.cz/category/homemade-nixies/

This guy shows the process he used in making his own Nixie tube:
Link Posted: 5/28/2015 3:31:41 PM EDT
[#15]
O.k., where do I find a Nixie Tube clock with an alarm that emits the buzz tone from UVB-76?

That would be cold war epic...
Link Posted: 5/28/2015 3:44:56 PM EDT
[#16]
This one comes close to that sound just skip to 1:15 in the video, at the beginning it also does the Lincolnshire Poacher.

Link Posted: 5/28/2015 8:10:14 PM EDT
[#17]
View Quote

Very cool!
Link Posted: 5/28/2015 8:16:20 PM EDT
[#18]
This is awesome! OP, I hate you for turning me on to this!!!
Link Posted: 5/28/2015 8:17:09 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
This one comes close to that sound just skip to 1:15 in the video, at the beginning it also does the Lincolnshire Poacher.

https://youtu.be/-gFXOAK1q6Q
View Quote

Here is a link dedicated to that "cold war clock". Very, very impressive!
Link Posted: 5/28/2015 8:39:26 PM EDT
[#20]
I built a nexie tube clock a few years ago. It was a fun project!
Link Posted: 5/28/2015 9:10:09 PM EDT
[#21]
A self setting GPS + Atomic backup nixie tube clock is on my bucket list of projects to make.
Link Posted: 5/28/2015 9:16:04 PM EDT
[#22]
OP, thanks for turning me on to these little beauties. In my travels in search of militaria, I have accumulated some neat Cold War era stuff, I now need one of these clocks! I've only soldered automotive stuff, and one Fender Telecaster, but you describing it as "color by number" has made me think that maybe I can do it. My big question to you is: what type of 'Cold War' housing/case might one get to house an affordable kit? I'm going to tell the wife (pics elsewhere) this is what I want for Father's Day, but I need to pick an appropriate themed one from a reputable seller. Here' some Cold War eye candy. Nothing special, but when I switch the reloading room, these will be displayed a little nicer. Oh, and yes the sanitation kit has all the items in it, as per the included itemized check sheet inside.

ETA: The kit in your original post is great for my intended visual effect, I just want to see all the options.

Link Posted: 5/28/2015 9:20:27 PM EDT
[#23]
That is cool as fuck.
Now I have to buy one
Link Posted: 5/28/2015 9:23:16 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Already have my clocks lol.

Nixies make great clock displays.

http://<a href=http://i110.photobucket.com/albums/n90/Invader_Zim_/Nixichroncloseup.jpg

These are IN-18 tubes set up with a GPS reciever to sync with the satellite constellation to always keep perfect time.
View Quote

I NEED to do this. Really. Bad.
Link Posted: 5/28/2015 9:25:10 PM EDT
[#25]
cool but my jeans are no where near skinny enough to own one.
Link Posted: 5/28/2015 9:37:03 PM EDT
[#26]
LOL, nixie tubes have nothing to do with the Cold War.  Sure, they were around in the 50-60's, but so were lots of other technologies. Paper tape, punch cards, mag tape, etc. Nixies were just a common display technology. All the test equipment we used had them.  I still have some nixie-based frequency counters etc. in my basement.  

And in case you haven't noticed lately, the Cold War is not over, it's still very much with us

Link Posted: 5/28/2015 9:45:45 PM EDT
[#27]
Looks like most of the kits are without tubes.. Where is the best place to buy tubes and what is a good size?
Link Posted: 5/28/2015 10:27:32 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
LOL, nixie tubes have nothing to do with the Cold War.  Sure, they were around in the 50-60's, but so were lots of other technologies. Paper tape, punch cards, mag tape, etc. Nixies were just a common display technology. All the test equipment we used had them.  I still have some nixie-based frequency counters etc. in my basement.  

And in case you haven't noticed lately, the Cold War is not over, it's still very much with us

View Quote

I wasn't implying they were, but a clock featuring some would go nicely next to some 50's-60's Cold War era stuff for sure.
Link Posted: 5/28/2015 11:05:49 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
OP, thanks for turning me on to these little beauties. In my travels in search of militaria, I have accumulated some neat Cold War era stuff, I now need one of these clocks! I've only soldered automotive stuff, and one Fender Telecaster, but you describing it as "color by number" has made me think that maybe I can do it. My big question to you is: what type of 'Cold War' housing/case might one get to house an affordable kit? I'm going to tell the wife (pics elsewhere) this is what I want for Father's Day, but I need to pick an appropriate themed one from a reputable seller. Here' some Cold War eye candy. Nothing special, but when I switch the reloading room, these will be displayed a little nicer. Oh, and yes the sanitation kit has all the items in it, as per the included itemized check sheet inside.

ETA: The kit in your original post is great for my intended visual effect, I just want to see all the options.

http://i435.photobucket.com/albums/qq72/p2tharizo/Arfcom/S5002273_zpsi2jhfxbh.jpg
http://i435.photobucket.com/albums/qq72/p2tharizo/Arfcom/S5002274_zpsacx0quwe.jpg
http://i435.photobucket.com/albums/qq72/p2tharizo/Arfcom/S5002275_zps5wg6u4ae.jpg
View Quote

This is sort of a retro-looking housing. It would accommodate these or these nicely.

ETA, cool collection you have there!

Oh, and get your soldering skills honed up with something cheap before you do a kit and get a fairly decent adjustable temp soldering station (if you don't already have one). It's not hard, but proficiency will make all the difference here. Use 60/40 lead/tin. Don't use any of that lead free "environmental safe" crap. It melts at too high a temp for some of the more delicate electronics you'll be dealing with.
Link Posted: 5/29/2015 7:06:35 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

This is sort of a retro-looking housing. It would accommodate these or these nicely.

Oh, and get your soldering skills honed up with something cheap before you do a kit and get a fairly decent adjustable temp soldering station (if you don't already have one). It's not hard, but proficiency will make all the difference here. Use 60/40 lead/tin. Don't use any of that lead free "environmental safe" crap. It melts at too high a temp for some of the more delicate electronics you'll be dealing with.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

http://i435.photobucket.com/albums/qq72/p2tharizo/Arfcom/S5002273_zpsi2jhfxbh.jpg
http://i435.photobucket.com/albums/qq72/p2tharizo/Arfcom/S5002274_zpsacx0quwe.jpg
http://i435.photobucket.com/albums/qq72/p2tharizo/Arfcom/S5002275_zps5wg6u4ae.jpg

Nice. Thanks man.
Link Posted: 5/30/2015 2:01:25 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Looks like most of the kits are without tubes..
Where is the best place to buy tubes and what is a good size?
View Quote

Ebay is a good place to get your tubes. As far as the size goes, pretty much however much $$ you want to spend. As with most everything else in life, the bigger it is, the more you're gonna pay.
Link Posted: 5/30/2015 2:54:46 PM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

View Quote

Link Posted: 5/30/2015 9:47:38 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

Nice. Thanks man.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Nice. Thanks man.

If you really want your man cave to look like a retro, cold war era workshop, look around on ebay for an old vintage oscilloscope. Find one that works and you can use it for light duty electronic tinkering and it would be an interesting conversation piece also!
Link Posted: 5/30/2015 9:55:20 PM EDT
[#34]
And that reminds me of another clock project.  The Oscilloscope clock.

This is the one I have.

Link Posted: 5/30/2015 9:56:23 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

This is the one I have.

http://www.tubeclockdb.com/images/stories/2012/scope-crt-clock/scope-crt-clock-4.jpg
View Quote

Nice!
Link Posted: 5/30/2015 10:02:12 PM EDT
[#36]
Are the two trimpots up front for focus and intensity?
Link Posted: 5/30/2015 10:08:02 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

This is the one I have.

http://www.tubeclockdb.com/images/stories/2012/scope-crt-clock/scope-crt-clock-4.jpg
View Quote

That is awesome
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top