[#6]
Prayers inbound for Cooper.

Never, never, never give up....
Link Posted: 7/24/2014 10:31:47 PM EDT
[#7]
Prayers OP.
Link Posted: 7/24/2014 10:35:05 PM EDT
[#8]

May God Bless Your Beautiful & Precious Angel & Your Entire Family.

Spoil him rotten with your love & time. (Though it is quite clear you have been doing that for quite some time)...

PLEASE:  Keep us updated and let us know if there is anything that your AR15.com "family" can do to assist!!
(my "goat messaging" is a bit screwy since I've been away from the site & hibernating for the past few years,
but please IM or EMail me if there is anything that you need..)  

We went through a rather big scare with our daughter a few years back & I cannot even begin to comprehend what you are all going through.  
(way minor in comparison - & -  she's fine now....  just running on a single kidney & still driving us nuts)

Looking back now, everything's just a blur, but family & friends were there for both her AND US, and it really made a world of difference.

Know that our thoughts and prayers are with Cooper.  

Link Posted: 7/24/2014 11:14:29 PM EDT
[#9]
I have no words, but know, your family will continue to be in our prayers.  Peace be to you Cooper.  
Link Posted: 7/24/2014 11:25:22 PM EDT
[#10]
I pray for your family . I pray that things turn around and may your son get well.
Link Posted: 7/25/2014 4:41:57 AM EDT
[#11]
Hi Again.

(please forgive any spelling/grammar/idiotic typing/etc. as I just got woken up by my own little angel)

Earlier this evening, I showed my wife and our daughter this thread.

I don't know how well Cooper can handle travel, or if you have the time to do be away from his medical providers, but we would
like to offer you something....  

There is a resort in Pennsylvania called "Woodloch Pines".    (www.woodloch.com)

[url=http:///www.woodloch.com/things-to-do/activity[/url]

We spent time there with our whole family the year after our daughter's kidney/tumor removal surgery.
It was one of the most memorable experiences for all of us, as they do their best to make your family feel at home and there
are a ton of activities for all sorts of people.  (They are very "accessible", as I was recovering from spinal surgery and was unable to walk
up stairs, sit, etc...  and I was able to do most everything there, EXCEPT FOR THE SHOOTING "BARN"  -- they "chain up" the barrel
of each .22 rifle to prevent inter-port plinking)   They have  "Hotel" style accomodations in the "Main Lodge" building  ("The American Plan",
if I recall correctly -- EVERYTHING is included:  food/activities/nightly entertainment/recreation/etc...)  AND..  they also have  cabins available for
"less traditional" vacationing.  (more walking though, as the dining room and most activities take place in the "Main Lodge" --  they have nightly
shows and entertainment for the adults and supervised entertainment for the youngsters.   Also, all meals are served "family style" in the main
dining room, another reason to maybe pick that as the housing option?)

I know I am rambling on here....  So.  Here's the bottom line.

We had saved up for a "mini-vacation" for the three of us to go back for a weekend, but were unable to make it due to a medical situation.
(me again)  So...  They gave us a credit (minus a cancellation fee) for the booked trip, and we had planned on going back this summer or winter.

You may be wondering why I am mentioning this place and the details of our stay there.   Well, my daughter really surprised me tonight (though
I really shouldn't have been so surprised.  She is a very caring girl who has gone through many of the same things that your son has, but to a much
lesser degree.  She also has a real "you can't stop me" attitude, which Cooper must surely possess as well. - He truly seems like a kick-ass fighter
to have endured so much in his life..

My daughter shed a tear for a brief moment after reading Cooper's history, and then said a prayer silently and went to bed without saying a
word to us. She was very pensive and seemed like the weight of the world was on her shoulders.  (the exact opposite of her normal personality)

I now know what she was thinking about prior to going up to bed.  

10 minutes ago, she came into our room and woke us up and said that she could not sleep and wanted to speak with us. She said
that she had so much to be thankful for in life,&  that she would like to give Cooper the same family experience that she still remembers.
She mentioned your comment about getting away to a lake cabin and then asked us if she could give "HER Summer or Christmas Vacation"
(Why is it that daughters always think everything we own is automatically theirs? )
to "Cutie-Pie Cooper"  (yup. she's already given him a nickname )   & his family at WOODLOCH where they HAVE a LAKE".  

My wife and I wholeheartedly agreed with her idea and hope this can be of use to bring just a little bit of joy to your son and to your entire family.

Again, I don't know if the travel can be managed, and how much time you will have there with all of the ongoing medical treatments, etc.
But, we want to offer you the credit that we have there.   (I am not sure of the exact amount, but I  believe that It's a little over $4,000.)

Depending upon how many rooms/guests/etc...  hopefully, it should cover you for at least a few day stay.

This is not "Charity" in any sense of the word. It's just a little something that we would like to offer a fellow gun-nut  firearms enthusiast
to enjoy  some special time with his family, and most importantly, your son.  (Please do not feel offended in any way, and know that
if you contact me, nothing we do/discuss/etc will ever be posted here.)

If you are interested and think that you can make the trip, please IM or E-Mail me.   (I'm pretty sure that Goatboy and Ed Sr. have our
#, if you feel more comfortable calling)    I was not going to post this, and was going to send it privately, but truthfully ...   I was so
proud of my daughter for caring enough about a family that is undergoing what must be just an awful time, to want to bring happiness
and a smile to a fellow "Junior Arfcommer".

-----------------------------------

I know that this does not seem like something a child of the "Obama Generation" would do, but she has a somewhat unique history...
(I'm fairly certain she would NOT like to see this part posted, but it might explain why some girl you've never met took an interest
in your family).

(as the old-time arfcommers and my friends here know, our daughter was born w/o an arm and  multiple internal birth defects and
was abandoned in the maternity ward of the hospital she was born in,  and then the next  8 years of her life in a terribly abusive orphanage,
she was tortured there and, has learned to compartmentalize, which we think is a very positive thing.  The month prior to her departure with
us to the US, she woke up, but failed to wake up her best friend who shared a bed with her.   The poor child had died during the night and the
staff actually made her stay in the bed for a good portion of the day.  The US State Dept, in conjunction with the "Blue Helmets" -- The UN --
did an extensive report on this particular facility and they have an annual mortality rate of over 26% !.)

During the last 4 of those years, having heard about her from an MD friend doing volunteer overseas, we spent every waking moment trying to
rescue her out of that environment and adopt her and bring her here to the US....and we finally got her here when she was 8 (and we had another
mortgage on the house to pay "tributes" to everyone involved.  But it sure was worth it !   She just turned 17 !
(and can kick my ass - both on the range and in real life)

This is not the first time that she has put her own needs aside for the benefit of someone who could derive more from something than
she...  Years ago, she was offered an extremely expensive myoelectric prosthetic arm by the Shriners group.  (Several hundred thousand $$, allowing for
growth and changes in size along with occupational therapy -- WAY out of our league and at the time, she did not even have insurance coverge.)

She stood up straight (she was about 9 or 10 at the time) and addressed the gentleman in a very assertive voice - she actually sounded like an adult:  
"Sir, I was born this way and can do almost anything that I need to without help.  Can you please give the arm to a soldier who has lost his/her arm
fighting for our freedom, because since they were not born that way, it will probably be hard for them to do the things they were used to
doing before".  He said that it wouldn't be possible to acomodate her wishes as  as they only treat children at their hospitals and gave his card to my wife.  
She refused to hear any talk of prostheses after that day.
Link Posted: 7/25/2014 4:50:39 AM EDT
[#12]
Prayers for Cooper and the rest of the family.
Link Posted: 7/25/2014 5:06:58 AM EDT
[#13]
Hey Mods.  Get on the stick and pin this.  
Prayers are needed and there's no better place than GD to get 'em said.

Ehem.  Goatboy.  Where did all of my evil site staff buttons go?
Link Posted: 7/25/2014 8:37:11 AM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 7/25/2014 9:07:01 AM EDT
[#15]
As a father I cant even begin to understand what you are feeling.  Your story has me in tears.  I'm praying for you and your family day and night.  Stay strong, OP.
Link Posted: 7/25/2014 9:21:59 AM EDT
[#16]
Stories like yours break my heart.  I can't imagine what you are going through.

Thoughts and prayers with Cooper, you and your family
Link Posted: 7/25/2014 10:21:34 AM EDT
[#17]
Nice rbad. That would make any father proud! Man, what some good stuff.
BTT with more prayers for Cooper.
Link Posted: 7/25/2014 12:12:25 PM EDT
[#18]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Hi Again.

(please forgive any spelling/grammar/idiotic typing/etc. as I just got woken up by my own little angel)

Earlier this evening, I showed my wife and our daughter this thread.

I don't know how well Cooper can handle travel, or if you have the time to do be away from his medical providers, but we would
like to offer you something....  

There is a resort in Pennsylvania called "Woodloch Pines".    (www.woodloch.com)

[url=http:///www.woodloch.com/things-to-do/activity[/url]

We spent time there with our whole family the year after our daughter's kidney/tumor removal surgery.
It was one of the most memorable experiences for all of us, as they do their best to make your family feel at home and there
are a ton of activities for all sorts of people.  (They are very "accessible", as I was recovering from spinal surgery and was unable to walk
up stairs, sit, etc...  and I was able to do most everything there, EXCEPT FOR THE SHOOTING "BARN"  -- they "chain up" the barrel
of each .22 rifle to prevent inter-port plinking)   They have  "Hotel" style accomodations in the "Main Lodge" building  ("The American Plan",
if I recall correctly -- EVERYTHING is included:  food/activities/nightly entertainment/recreation/etc...)  AND..  they also have  cabins available for
"less traditional" vacationing.  (more walking though, as the dining room and most activities take place in the "Main Lodge" --  they have nightly
shows and entertainment for the adults and supervised entertainment for the youngsters.   Also, all meals are served "family style" in the main
dining room, another reason to maybe pick that as the housing option?)

I know I am rambling on here....  So.  Here's the bottom line.

We had saved up for a "mini-vacation" for the three of us to go back for a weekend, but were unable to make it due to a medical situation.
(me again)  So...  They gave us a credit (minus a cancellation fee) for the booked trip, and we had planned on going back this summer or winter.

You may be wondering why I am mentioning this place and the details of our stay there.   Well, my daughter really surprised me tonight (though
I really shouldn't have been so surprised.  She is a very caring girl who has gone through many of the same things that your son has, but to a much
lesser degree.  She also has a real "you can't stop me" attitude, which Cooper must surely possess as well. - He truly seems like a kick-ass fighter
to have endured so much in his life..

My daughter shed a tear for a brief moment after reading Cooper's history, and then said a prayer silently and went to bed without saying a
word to us. She was very pensive and seemed like the weight of the world was on her shoulders.  (the exact opposite of her normal personality)

I now know what she was thinking about prior to going up to bed.  

10 minutes ago, she came into our room and woke us up and said that she could not sleep and wanted to speak with us. She said
that she had so much to be thankful for in life,&  that she would like to give Cooper the same family experience that she still remembers.
She mentioned your comment about getting away to a lake cabin and then asked us if she could give "HER Summer or Christmas Vacation"
(Why is it that daughters always think everything we own is automatically theirs? )
to "Cutie-Pie Cooper"  (yup. she's already given him a nickname )   & his family at WOODLOCH where they HAVE a LAKE".  

My wife and I wholeheartedly agreed with her idea and hope this can be of use to bring just a little bit of joy to your son and to your entire family.

Again, I don't know if the travel can be managed, and how much time you will have there with all of the ongoing medical treatments, etc.
But, we want to offer you the credit that we have there.   (I am not sure of the exact amount, but I  believe that It's a little over $4,000.)

Depending upon how many rooms/guests/etc...  hopefully, it should cover you for at least a few day stay.

This is not "Charity" in any sense of the word. It's just a little something that we would like to offer a fellow gun-nut  firearms enthusiast
to enjoy  some special time with his family, and most importantly, your son.  (Please do not feel offended in any way, and know that
if you contact me, nothing we do/discuss/etc will ever be posted here.)

If you are interested and think that you can make the trip, please IM or E-Mail me.   (I'm pretty sure that Goatboy and Ed Sr. have our
#, if you feel more comfortable calling)    I was not going to post this, and was going to send it privately, but truthfully ...   I was so
proud of my daughter for caring enough about a family that is undergoing what must be just an awful time, to want to bring happiness
and a smile to a fellow "Junior Arfcommer".

-----------------------------------

I know that this does not seem like something a child of the "Obama Generation" would do, but she has a somewhat unique history...
(I'm fairly certain she would NOT like to see this part posted, but it might explain why some girl you've never met took an interest
in your family).

(as the old-time arfcommers and my friends here know, our daughter was born w/o an arm and  multiple internal birth defects and
was abandoned in the maternity ward of the hospital she was born in,  and then the next  8 years of her life in a terribly abusive orphanage,
she was tortured there and, has learned to compartmentalize, which we think is a very positive thing.  The month prior to her departure with
us to the US, she woke up, but failed to wake up her best friend who shared a bed with her.   The poor child had died during the night and the
staff actually made her stay in the bed for a good portion of the day.  The US State Dept, in conjunction with the "Blue Helmets" -- The UN --
did an extensive report on this particular facility and they have an annual mortality rate of over 26% !.)

During the last 4 of those years, having heard about her from an MD friend doing volunteer overseas, we spent every waking moment trying to
rescue her out of that environment and adopt her and bring her here to the US....and we finally got her here when she was 8 (and we had another
mortgage on the house to pay "tributes" to everyone involved.  But it sure was worth it !   She just turned 17 !
(and can kick my ass - both on the range and in real life)

This is not the first time that she has put her own needs aside for the benefit of someone who could derive more from something than
she...  Years ago, she was offered an extremely expensive myoelectric prosthetic arm by the Shriners group.  (Several hundred thousand $$, allowing for
growth and changes in size along with occupational therapy -- WAY out of our league and at the time, she did not even have insurance coverge.)

She stood up straight (she was about 9 or 10 at the time) and addressed the gentleman in a very assertive voice - she actually sounded like an adult:  
"Sir, I was born this way and can do almost anything that I need to without help.  Can you please give the arm to a soldier who has lost his/her arm
fighting for our freedom, because since they were not born that way, it will probably be hard for them to do the things they were used to
doing before".  He said that it wouldn't be possible to acomodate her wishes as  as they only treat children at their hospitals and gave his card to my wife.  
She refused to hear any talk of prostheses after that day.
View Quote

RBAD - emailed you through overwhelmed tears of gratitude.  We have accepted an offer from a local friend.  Bless you and your amazing family.  I will be in touch with you when I'm able to gather thoughts and words.  
Link Posted: 7/25/2014 12:22:21 PM EDT
[#19]
I've said a few prayers for Coop in the last couple of days.  I guess it is out of our hands sometimes, huh?  Keep us informed of Coopers status & I'll keep sending prayers your way.  Try to enjoy every minute you have with him and focus on every feature of his little self.  So f'ing sad I don't know what else to say.  
Link Posted: 7/25/2014 12:25:38 PM EDT
[#20]
My thoughts and prayers are with you and your family.
Link Posted: 7/25/2014 3:45:59 PM EDT
[#21]
So sorry to hear this.   :(

Know that you have been a great parent in all of this.  

Agree with the other posters to keep him in your prayers and prepare for the worst.  Enjoy the time you have left.  Take LOTS of family pictures during family outings etc.  

Time is precious.  

Prayers sent.
Link Posted: 7/25/2014 3:49:50 PM EDT
[#22]
Praying
Link Posted: 7/25/2014 4:03:44 PM EDT
[#23]
Prayers sent.  I truly hope he gets better soon.
Link Posted: 7/25/2014 4:04:29 PM EDT
[#24]
Praying for you all.  Was pastor for a couple in almost exactly the same situation.
Link Posted: 7/25/2014 4:04:35 PM EDT
[#25]
I am so sorry OP, prayers sent.  I wish there was more that I could do.  
Link Posted: 7/25/2014 4:15:50 PM EDT
[#26]
Pretty awesome of you RBAD. My prayers go out to cooper and your family OP.
Link Posted: 7/25/2014 4:16:21 PM EDT
[#27]
Prayers Sent
Link Posted: 7/25/2014 4:19:10 PM EDT
[#28]
Hey, we just did that thing for the kid up in CT, how about let us do it for one of our own?  Not a charity thing, but a morale thing for your boy!  We can send cool cards, hats, toys, comics, I'm betting more than a few thou got sent in checks and such.  I think we'll get as much out of it as he will!
Link Posted: 7/25/2014 4:33:55 PM EDT
[#29]
I will be praying for you and your family.
Link Posted: 7/25/2014 4:36:27 PM EDT
[#30]
Prayers sent for your family and your little man.
Link Posted: 7/25/2014 7:04:40 PM EDT
[#31]
7/25 Update:  Once again overwhelmed by the generosity, support, encouragement and shared grieving from ARFCOM.  Thanks Brothers and Sisters.  

We spent last night getting family photos taken, followed by dinner out afterward.  We normally keep a good handle on the kids at restaurants, but decided that we'd let Cooper loose of any control.  He made a mess, and it was great.  Dinner tonight included pasta noodles, Cooper's favorite toy food.  Again, he ruled the dinner table with laughter and noodle whips.  Cooper has always ruled the roost, and there have been no recent exceptions to that rule.

A co-worker offered next week at her families lake cottage up north.  We are looking forward to escaping as a family, disconnecting (mostly) and being together while Cooper is still able to enjoy his sisters and the outdoors.  Cooper has been tapered back from his regular post-BMT drugs and seems to be handling things OK.  As unexplainably painful everything has been thus far, we are working hard at remaining focused on Cooper's comfort and happiness.

Link Posted: 7/25/2014 8:17:42 PM EDT
[#32]
God has blessed you with Cooper who will encourage so many to know how precious each and every moment

in this life is. No matter what challenge you face, no matter what heart break, for how ever long we have them, those we

love are completely and wonderfully precious. Thanks for loving Cooper and for being a great family,

You have our prayers and my families prayers.
Link Posted: 7/25/2014 9:22:25 PM EDT
[#33]
Prayers for you, Cooper and and rest of the family.
Link Posted: 7/25/2014 9:31:15 PM EDT
[#34]
incoming prayers
Link Posted: 7/25/2014 10:03:47 PM EDT
[#35]
This thread.  

Between Cooper's story, RBAD's daughter's story, and the generosity shown by everyone......I'm not sure how my heart can feel broken yet so full.
Link Posted: 7/25/2014 10:11:36 PM EDT
[#36]
Prayers sent, for your precious little one and for you and the rest of your family.

Link Posted: 7/25/2014 11:37:30 PM EDT
[#37]

Father I ask that you be with the family of this child, your child, whom you have entrusted to his wonderful parents while here on earth. I ask father that you bless them with your spirit and give them peace. I ask these in Jesus' name. Amen

"Let the little children come to me, and do not hinder them, for the kingdom of heaven belongs to such as these."

Matthew 19:14

OP stay strong and enjoy your son. I believe he is very special.
Link Posted: 7/25/2014 11:53:30 PM EDT
[#38]
Very sad situation. Will pray for Cooper. Just remember, no matter what happens, the Lord will be with Cooper.
Link Posted: 7/26/2014 12:23:16 AM EDT
[#39]
My family will keep you and your family in our prayers.  God bless Cooper on his journey.

Link Posted: 7/26/2014 4:51:58 PM EDT
[#40]
back to pg.1
Link Posted: 7/26/2014 8:17:16 PM EDT
[#41]
Do you need any ammo or anything for the trip? I know 22lr is hard to get right now so if you need some let me know?
Link Posted: 7/26/2014 9:05:32 PM EDT
[#42]
Prayers out to Cooper and his family!

Link Posted: 7/26/2014 9:10:00 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
http://i68.photobucket.com/albums/i16/darreld/10455966_10152578883396346_1774781143100781160_n_zpse163fc2f.jpg

Father I ask that you be with the family of this child, your child, whom you have entrusted to his wonderful parents while here on earth. I ask father that you bless them with your spirit and give them peace. I ask these in Jesus' name. Amen

"Let the little children come to me, and do not hinder them, for the kingdom of heaven belongs to such as these."

Matthew 19:14

OP stay strong and enjoy your son. I believe he is very special.
View Quote

+1
Link Posted: 7/26/2014 9:19:34 PM EDT
[#44]
Prayers for Cooper and your family, OP.
Link Posted: 7/26/2014 9:26:55 PM EDT
[#45]
Prayers from NJ.
Link Posted: 7/26/2014 9:27:53 PM EDT
[#46]
Prayers for Cooper and you and your family.
Link Posted: 7/26/2014 9:36:05 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
Do you need any ammo or anything for the trip? I know 22lr is hard to get right now so if you need some let me know?
View Quote

Very nice of you to offer, but I'm set there.  I'd going to try to put him behind my Ruger 22/45 which I have been waiting until he grew a little more, but that's changed now.
Link Posted: 7/29/2014 11:40:17 AM EDT
[#48]
Thinking of Cooper today, great picture, I hope he's enjoying the lake cottage.

More prayers out for Cooper and his family.
Link Posted: 7/29/2014 11:58:13 AM EDT
[#49]
Praying for Cooper and praying for you & your family OP!  Enjoy your time with him, I pray God grant you all the strength and understanding you need to make it through this!!
Link Posted: 7/29/2014 12:14:39 PM EDT
[#50]
Must be very difficult for you.
Keep praying, it works.
Page / 22
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top