Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 3
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 8:12:51 PM EDT
[#1]
Unable to watch the videos at my current location....but how would this device work out for say tripod attachments. My brother in law has a great range set up, but no bench as of yet, so we've been using an extra tall heavy duty camera tripod as a rest. I can see othee situations where that might be pretty practical.
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 8:13:20 PM EDT
[#2]
I love American ingenuity. How much? looks like it might have some use in the LE and home defense markets.
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 8:13:35 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Cool beans, best of luck to ya brother Do you have away to mount it in vehicles/hmmvs, helos, bradleys, planes etc.? Outside of trucks/vehicles I cant seen much of a civi application. For .mil/LE, plenty.

I assume you could mount it to other weapons? 50BMG, 249s, 240Bs, MK19s, pistols, shotguns etc? If not maybe look into it, or also tweak it a bit so you can use it for accessories that can be mounted to the weapon or near them etc.

goodluck

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
If it doesn't include JB Weld, I'm not interested.

You might want to patent it. I could see a use for it in .mil/LE

It is patented.- Patent No. 8,341,810, and other patents pending.  I can picture it being used in the military and law enforcement markets as well, it just takes more time to get into those markets.

Cool beans, best of luck to ya brother Do you have away to mount it in vehicles/hmmvs, helos, bradleys, planes etc.? Outside of trucks/vehicles I cant seen much of a civi application. For .mil/LE, plenty.

I assume you could mount it to other weapons? 50BMG, 249s, 240Bs, MK19s, pistols, shotguns etc? If not maybe look into it, or also tweak it a bit so you can use it for accessories that can be mounted to the weapon or near them etc.

goodluck

Yes, it could be mounted to tubing by way of a billet tube clamp.  Yes, it could be mount to other weapons, or other things.  It is just a matter of figuring out the best attachment method.  My plan is to first come out with a male mount that incorporates a "picatinny slot" that could be slid onto a picatinny rail and held in place from the top with set screws.  This would allow for the lowest profile.  I have also considered accessories, and this system would be scaled down for that/  Flash lights are the first thing that come to mind, bipods, and perhaps even red dot scopes.
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 8:15:31 PM EDT
[#4]
Now you need to make one that locks, then you're talking big bucks. Magnetic lock would be the tits.
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 8:16:41 PM EDT
[#5]
Mounted to a drop leg=AR pistol holster
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 8:16:44 PM EDT
[#6]
tag for interest, might could use this if its reasonable
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 8:17:40 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

All part of the fun.

Is there a rule against what he is doing? As in you have to buy a special Partners membership?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Some of these guys can be dicks. I like it.

I have been giving him a hard time but I agree with both points. I can be a dick and I do see where this could be usefull in some situations.

All part of the fun.

Is there a rule against what he is doing? As in you have to buy a special Partners membership?

If I am breaking a rule please point me in the right direction and I will rectify it right away.

I really am just looking for feedback to see if this is something viable to take to the market.  I think it is a great idea, of course I am biased.  I have no LE / Military expericnce, just what I read on the internet, so I guess that makes me an expert.  

I have nothing to sell, and I am not going to post any links to any websites with anything for sale.
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 8:22:51 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Unable to watch the videos at my current location....but how would this device work out for say tripod attachments. My brother in law has a great range set up, but no bench as of yet, so we've been using an extra tall heavy duty camera tripod as a rest. I can see othee situations where that might be pretty practical.
View Quote

Yes, exactly something else that this would work well for.  There is something on the market already that can do this.  It is not as rigid of a mount as what this will be though.  Search for the "Hog Saddle".  I have no experience or affiliation with this system, just something I came across in my research.
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 8:26:05 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Well, first let me start off by stating the obvious.  I signed up for an account here a while ago and have not posted much.

The purpose of my post here is to gauge interest in my quick detach mount design.  Is this something that a modern sporting rifle owner would be interested in?  I have some pictures and videos of my working prototype.  My favorite video so far is the pull-up test.  If there are any pictures or videos that you would like to see, please ask and I will try to accommodate.

http://youtu.be/WE0q5xfARQM

http://youtu.be/CTGctAmbUxs

http://youtu.be/1PIc85j8rPs

http://youtu.be/U-DvKHffy58
View Quote

Here are some pictures of the male half of the mount.  I modified a pre-production prototype for use with the tapped holes on my Midwestindustries SS Gen2 rail.

Link Posted: 9/30/2014 8:29:27 PM EDT
[#10]
Make a quick detach light mount .....get paid.

EDIT: Leverless of course, include stickers and meat seasoning.
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 8:29:32 PM EDT
[#11]
Could this mount my flesh light securely?
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 8:30:05 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

If I am breaking a rule please point me in the right direction and I will rectify it right away.

I really am just looking for feedback to see if this is something viable to take to the market.  I think it is a great idea, of course I am biased.  I have no LE / Military expericnce, just what I read on the internet, so I guess that makes me an expert.  

I have nothing to sell, and I am not going to post any links to any websites with anything for sale.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Some of these guys can be dicks. I like it.

I have been giving him a hard time but I agree with both points. I can be a dick and I do see where this could be usefull in some situations.

All part of the fun.

I am not trying to get you into trouble or anything. but the specific to sales portion of the conduct code is worded rather broadly.
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 8:38:17 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

View Quote

This
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 8:49:37 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

View Quote

Yes, quick detach without any moving parts, levers etc.

I do not think that Michigan can make seasonings quite like Texas.  I am sure that we could do some kind of bottle openers though.
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 8:52:14 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

I do not think that Michigan can make seasonings quite like Texas. I am sure that we could do some kind of bottle openers though.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I do not think that Michigan can make seasonings quite like Texas. I am sure that we could do some kind of bottle openers though.

Ok, but they need to quickly detach from my rail with no levers or buttons.
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 8:53:12 PM EDT
[#16]
Did I buy a hipoint carbine from you when you lived in michigan?
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 8:56:37 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
View Quote

It is very well possible.  Did it have an ATI stock and I think it was a 2.5x burris or bushnell scope on it?

LOL, I actually found an old pic of it.

Link Posted: 9/30/2014 8:56:39 PM EDT
[#18]
Could it not be made smaller, or would doing so make it lose it's strength?
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 8:57:21 PM EDT
[#19]
That would work pretty well in my PD Tahoe. I have no where to store my AR except in the back in a large metal pull out vault thing which sucks. I could mount something like your product on top of the vault and place the rifle on top. That way I just open the back door grab it and roll. The mount might might need to withstand some force though in case of an accident, roll over or what ever so it does not going flying around.
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 8:59:15 PM EDT
[#20]
I like it.
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 9:01:52 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
View Quote

You loose leverage, so it becomes harder to snap the mount in place.  I would still have the same holding force.  

Well, I should qualify that.  If it was made shorter front to back, yes you would loose some of the holding force.  Shorter top to bottom and you loose leverage.  Loosing some of the holding force may not be an issue, as I would not expect too many people to do pull-ups from their rifle.
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 9:02:15 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

It is very well possible.  Did it have an ATI stock and I think it was a 2.5x burris or bushnell scope on it?

<a href="http://s720.photobucket.com/user/thedonn007/media/DSCF1975_edited-1.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i720.photobucket.com/albums/ww205/thedonn007/DSCF1975_edited-1.jpg</a>
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

<a href="http://s720.photobucket.com/user/thedonn007/media/DSCF1975_edited-1.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i720.photobucket.com/albums/ww205/thedonn007/DSCF1975_edited-1.jpg</a>

That's the one. Great gun. I traded it off but want it back.

That was probably 4 or 5 years ago.

Small world. Thanks for mailing it all the way to Kansas! I was a lowballer that knew nothing about guns back then, hopefully I wasn't too much of a dbag.
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 9:02:26 PM EDT
[#23]
rail piece s kinda huge. Any way to use the rail itself or keymod holes?
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 9:02:34 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:
Using a QD lever for this system is kind of counterintuitive, as this system is QD without the QD lever.  This system is QD with no moving parts.
However, that is something worth considering.  I feel like I need an XZIBIT picture saying I put a QD mount on your QD mount though.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'd have a QD lever attached to the Picatinny so the whole thing can come off the rifle.

Using a QD lever for this system is kind of counterintuitive, as this system is QD without the QD lever.  This system is QD with no moving parts.
However, that is something worth considering.  I feel like I need an XZIBIT picture saying I put a QD mount on your QD mount though.
I hope you understood me, but in case you didn't I was suggesting that the male part be lever QD from the rifle. That way you can move the male plate from various weapons with no tools or remove it entirely after you remove it from the female mount to free up rail space. I like the idea, but after you remove the gun from the wall/ATV/trunk it has a huge piece of metal on it right where many people like to put a light or laser. Or some other QD method, I just don't want to have to use tools or take the handguard off to remove the male mounting plate.

Link Posted: 9/30/2014 9:09:44 PM EDT
[#25]
When you get it to market,I want one.
I want to mount my AR pistol to my motorcycle Cargo boxes. (panniers)
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 9:14:09 PM EDT
[#26]
Op, any chance you could redo the shake test with a shake weight, I need some FAP material?

Kidding, seems like there could be some use for this.
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 9:14:10 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
I hope you understood me, but in case you didn't I was suggesting that the male part be lever QD from the rifle. That way you can move the male plate from various weapons with no tools or remove it entirely after you remove it from the female mount to free up rail space. I like the idea, but after you remove the gun from the wall/ATV/trunk it has a huge piece of metal on it right where many people like to put a light or laser. Or some other QD method, I just don't want to have to use tools or take the handguard off to remove the male mounting plate.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
I'd have a QD lever attached to the Picatinny so the whole thing can come off the rifle.

I agree.  Why not just make a wall mounted Picatinny QD.  Then you could just use your existing rail sections (or add a rail section to a tube rail) - mount would grab on and rifle is secure.

Adding a permanently fixed section to the rifle that has no other purpose but to mount to your proprietary system as a no go.  Use what is on the rifle... Picatinny rail sections.
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 9:19:08 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:
I agree.  Why not just make a wall mounted Picatinny QD.  Then you could just use your existing rail sections (or add a rail section to a tube rail) - mount would grab on and rifle is secure.

Adding a permanently fixed section to the rifle that has no other purpose but to mount to your proprietary system as a no go.  Use what is on the rifle... Picatinny rail sections.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

So can you hang a keymod rifle on a keymod shelf bracket from home depot by the keymod holes without any device needed? Dickmod is dildos.

Link Posted: 9/30/2014 9:21:15 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

But if he wants to expand to other things/weapons that don't have a picatinny rail, then what? I think he's on the right track.

My last post for the thread
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 9:24:33 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yes, I understood and that is a great suggestion.  Which could very well be another option.  I was picturing something lower profile and lighter weight that would stay attached to the rifle.  Also the QD lever option would increase complexity and cost.  However, I do see your point.  BTW, the male section weighs 2 oz with the bolts.
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 9:25:47 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
When you get it to market,I want one.
I want to mount my AR pistol to my motorcycle Cargo boxes. (panniers)
View Quote

That would be badass.  Maybe you could install remote triggers to mount to the handlebars?  Sounds like a great idea for the zombies.
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 9:26:49 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Op, any chance you could redo the shake test with a shake weight, I need some FAP material?

Kidding, seems like there could be some use for this.
View Quote

Yea, yea, clearly I do not think too highly of myself.  I still laugh whenever I re-watch that video.
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 9:29:20 PM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:
Yes, I understood and that is a great suggestion.  Which could very well be another option.  I was picturing something lower profile and lighter weight that would stay attached to the rifle.  Also the QD lever option would increase complexity and cost.  However, I do see your point.  BTW, the male section weighs 2 oz with the bolts.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

It really looks pretty good for a trunk gun, especially if the female part can be made to lock relatively securely to prevent theft. As it sits I would probably buy one, but I wouldn't put it on anything but a dedicated rifle.

Link Posted: 9/30/2014 9:30:33 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

View Quote

Ideally that is what I would do.  However, as I am sure you know, the picatinny rail is only .835" wide, and the shape of the rail is less than ideal for this system.  However, it is definitely worth re-evaluating and if funding allows, having a design study to see if this is possible.  One more thing, which may or may not be an issue, especially if removable rail sections are being used, is that both halves of the mounts are wear surfaces.  So, eventually you would wear the anodizing off of the picatnny rail.
Link Posted: 10/1/2014 7:40:56 AM EDT
[#35]
Here are two computer renderings of the first version that I sketched out.  These pictures are a good visual of how the system works as I desicribed above.

Link Posted: 10/9/2014 10:07:45 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Here are two computer renderings of the first version that I sketched out.  These pictures are a good visual of how the system works as I desicribed above.

<a href="http://s720.photobucket.com/user/thedonn007/media/Picatinny%20adapter/Picatinnyadapteropensideremoved_zps4ba65c5d.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i720.photobucket.com/albums/ww205/thedonn007/Picatinny%20adapter/Picatinnyadapteropensideremoved_zps4ba65c5d.jpg</a>

<a href="http://s720.photobucket.com/user/thedonn007/media/Picatinny%20adapter/Picatinnyadapterclosedwithsideplateremoved_zps1449eb1c.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i720.photobucket.com/albums/ww205/thedonn007/Picatinny%20adapter/Picatinnyadapterclosedwithsideplateremoved_zps1449eb1c.jpg</a>
View Quote

I like that one a lot.
Link Posted: 10/9/2014 8:06:40 PM EDT
[#37]
I've investigated this patent before after seeing your product in person somewhere. I think you we're walking around with a guy wearing a harness with one half of the device and a pelican case mounted like a backpack via the other half of the device.

Any info on how many cycles your standard extrusion can take before the surface of the "catch", the polymer compression material, or the extrusion itself yield?
Link Posted: 10/15/2014 6:56:34 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
I've investigated this patent before after seeing your product in person somewhere. I think you we're walking around with a guy wearing a harness with one half of the device and a pelican case mounted like a backpack via the other half of the device.

Any info on how many cycles your standard extrusion can take before the surface of the "catch", the polymer compression material, or the extrusion itself yield?
View Quote

That was not me, but yes that is the same patent.  That product that you saw is call the SnapPak Backpack.  I will get back to you on the number of cycles.
Link Posted: 10/15/2014 7:53:09 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
View Quote

This, It looks like it takes up a fair amount of real estate & the added weight is a -

I could use something like this on my prowler
Link Posted: 10/15/2014 7:55:06 AM EDT
[#40]
where in michigan?

Link Posted: 10/15/2014 8:49:46 AM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:
Here are some pictures of the male half of the mount.  I modified a pre-production prototype for use with the tapped holes on my Midwestindustries SS Gen2 rail.

http://i720.photobucket.com/albums/ww205/thedonn007/P1080960_zpsa8d0a277.jpg

http://i720.photobucket.com/albums/ww205/thedonn007/P1080948_zpsb2d8dc79.jpg

http://i720.photobucket.com/albums/ww205/thedonn007/P1080947_zpsa5d91c59.jpg
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Well, first let me start off by stating the obvious.  I signed up for an account here a while ago and have not posted much.

The purpose of my post here is to gauge interest in my quick detach mount design.  Is this something that a modern sporting rifle owner would be interested in?  I have some pictures and videos of my working prototype.  My favorite video so far is the pull-up test.  If there are any pictures or videos that you would like to see, please ask and I will try to accommodate.

I would suggest you make it smaller, shrink the whole thing.  I would buy one.

Link Posted: 10/15/2014 9:25:10 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
where in michigan?

View Quote

Rochester
Link Posted: 10/15/2014 9:28:25 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I am going to sketch something up and see about getting a smaller version designed.  I am thining about 1.25" wide instead of 2" wide like the version that I used for my testing.
Link Posted: 10/15/2014 9:36:08 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

View Quote

The polymer, like an O-ring, will last for tens of thousands of compression cycles.  The Aluminum will last for just as long.  The weak link is the coating, as it will eventually wear away.  I have not tested how many cycles this will take, however there are other coatings that can me used than two annodized surfaces.  With that said, the system is still usable after the coating wears away.
Link Posted: 10/15/2014 9:51:59 PM EDT
[#45]
I could see how this would be good for a tactical trunk mount. Mount up under deck lid so if the trunk was open No one would see it. I have thought about putting one there after the "workplace violence" (beheading) and the IS deal.

You know, if I owned guns.

How well does it hold with side to side motions in it's current config?
I imagine you are able to slide it out but how much force does it take?
Link Posted: 10/16/2014 10:52:22 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
I could see how this would be good for a tactical trunk mount. Mount up under deck lid so if the trunk was open No one would see it. I have thought about putting one there after the "workplace violence" (beheading) and the IS deal.

You know, if I owned guns.

How well does it hold with side to side motions in it's current config?
I imagine you are able to slide it out but how much force does it take?
View Quote

Side to side it does not hold much.  However, in my video where I am shaking it, it does not come out of the mount.  It needs to be encapsulated or have some endstops for it to be offroad ready.  It works well for a stationary wall mount as is.
Link Posted: 10/16/2014 11:17:10 AM EDT
[#47]

I'd be interested in one to stick in the Jeep just to mess around with out in the pastures if the price is right.

Link Posted: 10/16/2014 11:44:34 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
View Quote

Then why use this at all?

Instead of the female and male component.  Mount the QD lever piece onto the mounting service, and nothing permanently attaches to the rifle.

Oh, and that would work vertically too.

ETA:  I see I've been beat.
Link Posted: 10/16/2014 1:50:17 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

Instead of the female and male component.  Mount the QD lever piece onto the mounting service, and nothing permanently attaches to the rifle.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

When funds allow, I will further investigate using this system directly with the picatinny rail.  I have an idea of how this could work, but there would still be the issue of wearing the finish off of the picatinny rail.  I suppose I could powder coat the femail half of the mount so that it is not two annodized surfaces wearing on each other.
Link Posted: 12/15/2014 12:39:21 PM EDT
[#50]
Any progress on this?
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top