Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 3/4/2005 5:04:31 PM EDT
[#1]
Holy shit. Can't help but be a broken record but you're damn lucky you aren't blind!

I used to wear Silencio glasses but they got in the way so I tried a pair of the Peltor (now AO Safety) Fectoids.

They are great glasses, and very comfortable. They offer superior cheek and brow coverage, and you would no doubt have been spared this injury had you been wearing a pair of Fectoids.

More information...
Link Posted: 3/4/2005 5:23:04 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
Holy shit. Can't help but be a broken record but you're damn lucky you aren't blind!

I used to wear Silencio glasses but they got in the way so I tried a pair of the Peltor (now AO Safety) Fectoids.

They are great glasses, and very comfortable. They offer superior cheek and brow coverage, and you would no doubt have been spared this injury had you been wearing a pair of Fectoids.

www.labsafety.com/store/assets/product_images_XL/lbf36726.jpg

More information...

There were several contributing factors to the injury, but those glasses would have prevented it. The reason I have the S&W glasses is because they don't have the brow bar on the top and when I'm low looking over the top of the glasses, my vision isn't obstructed. Looks like the Fectoids might work the same way. I'll get a pair & try them.
Link Posted: 3/4/2005 5:25:57 PM EDT
[#3]
The scar will be hidden in the crease of the eyelid... you'll heal up fine.

BUT, if any good is to come from this... let it be a lesson to the rest of us...

EYE PROTECTION!!!

This is exactly why you wear it.  Bring extras for guests.  I do.  I keep SIX extras in my shooting bag.  I also keep three sets of headphone type hearing protection, and a bag of foam plugs.  I mean a big industrial size bag, probably 100 pair in there.  I get them at work, and when I told them why I wanted some extra, they gave me a full box.

And this goes for... cutting the grass, weedeating, carpentry, working in the shop with grinders, saws, drill press, DREMEL tool, grinders, other power tools, model airplane flying, and many of our other activities.

I don't care if they do make you look like a dork, the glasses and "mickey mouse ears" are vital.
Link Posted: 3/4/2005 7:47:53 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
The scar will be hidden in the crease of the eyelid... you'll heal up fine.

BUT, if any good is to come from this... let it be a lesson to the rest of us...

EYE PROTECTION!!!

This is exactly why you wear it.  Bring extras for guests.  I do.  I keep SIX extras in my shooting bag.  I also keep three sets of headphone type hearing protection, and a bag of foam plugs.  I mean a big industrial size bag, probably 100 pair in there.  I get them at work, and when I told them why I wanted some extra, they gave me a full box.

And this goes for... cutting the grass, weedeating, carpentry, working in the shop with grinders, saws, drill press, DREMEL tool, grinders, other power tools, model airplane flying, and many of our other activities.

I don't care if they do make you look like a dork, the glasses and "mickey mouse ears" are vital.

After many close calls, I've now become a "safety boy" and wear PPE any time I'm doing something that'd bring the risk of eye, ear, hand, and respiratory injury.

Actually though, and luckily for everyone, safety eye wear doesn't look bulky and dorky these days and can actually look good. Ear plugs are unobtrusive, and in general the safety industry really seems to be making an effort to market comfortable, good looking, and definitely effective protection.
Link Posted: 3/4/2005 8:58:11 PM EDT
[#5]
I wear my safety glass from work, I figure is OSHA approves them, then its ok. I wear prescription glasses, so having them saves on the wallet.
Link Posted: 3/4/2005 9:05:57 PM EDT
[#6]
OuCH!   FUCK FUCK FUCK...

I'm having vicarious pain here, cringing like a little girl.

I'd not seen this.

Good luck for a good recovery, and BTW, that guy does good needlework.  
Link Posted: 3/4/2005 9:13:25 PM EDT
[#7]
Oh man, I am glad you are doing better. I have safety glasses and never wear them, I think I am going to now.
Link Posted: 3/4/2005 9:25:29 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 3/6/2005 5:27:54 AM EDT
[#9]
Damn...didn't realize it was as serious when I first saw it....Hope you get better soon.
Link Posted: 3/6/2005 1:22:37 PM EDT
[#10]
A final note on the injury. Thankfully I have insurance but if I didn't, the surgery alone would have been $3000 out of pocket. Haven't seen what the ER costs were, or the CT scan. But I suspect the entire thing would be $4000-$5000. That's a nice machinegun.
Link Posted: 3/6/2005 5:14:30 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Yikes.  I need prescription glasses to shoot, and normally just wear my regular glasses for shooting.  I like the amount of top/bottom/side coverage those large Fectoids provide, but can anyone recommend something with similar coverage that's prescription lens compatible?

I shoot alot of steel and get hit by splashback pretty regularly.  I guess I've been lucky so far.  
Link Posted: 3/6/2005 5:22:34 PM EDT
[#12]
HOLY CRAP!!!

Link Posted: 3/6/2005 5:57:19 PM EDT
[#13]
EYE PROTECTION +1000 !!!

I was out yesterday shooting a 44 mag.  I have no clue about how it happened, but next thing I know, I felt a sting in my cheek and I had blood running down my face.  Two inches higher &  whatever hit me would have caught me in the eyeball. Luckily I was wearing my Oakleys so my eyes were protected, but something like that really gets your attention.
Link Posted: 6/8/2005 5:50:40 AM EDT
[#14]
I am glad everything worked out good for you.  I hope you weren't holding the gun like this?

www.daveschultz.com/maniacal/images/birdman.gif
Link Posted: 6/8/2005 3:25:31 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Yikes.  I need prescription glasses to shoot, and normally just wear my regular glasses for shooting.  I like the amount of top/bottom/side coverage those large Fectoids provide, but can anyone recommend something with similar coverage that's prescription lens compatible?

I shoot alot of steel and get hit by splashback pretty regularly.  I guess I've been lucky so far.  

I would like to know if anyone has recommendations on any prescription shooting glasses.  I need RX when shooting 100+ yards.  I don't have contacts.

I found these.

www.rxshootingglasses.com/

Link Posted: 6/8/2005 3:35:25 PM EDT
[#16]
Im here for the RX saftey specs... I really could use some.
Link Posted: 6/8/2005 3:43:40 PM EDT
[#17]
Good luck on the road to recovery.
Link Posted: 6/8/2005 4:30:10 PM EDT
[#18]
tag for rx shooting glasses, I need some
Link Posted: 6/9/2005 5:27:27 AM EDT
[#19]
Like all the others here, a HUGE + on wear the PPE when shooting. I was at a match a couple of years ago in which we were shooting steel plates with rifles at ranges from 15yds to 50 yds. When shooting I caught one sliver in my cheek from a shot taken at 50yds...it required minor surgery after it started swelling 3-4 days later. At the same match I caught a chunk that was probably 0.25 across in my lower forearm that nicked a vein...I finished the string with a stream of  warm blood running down my arm..Heck, I figured in a REAL gunfight I'd need to keep shooting so I ignored it and finished. When I pulled the chunk out of my arm (half of it was sticking out), the blood REALLY started flowing and freaked everyone out. Should have gotten a couple of stitches on that but just wrapped a bandage around it and kept it clean and it worked out ok

The long-winded point here is, either of those tiny little bits of metal could have effortlessly taken one of my eyes..and I no longer shoot home-made steel targets with high-powered rifles.
Link Posted: 6/9/2005 5:33:56 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

labsafety noted above has frames for rx safety glasses.  Just about any eyeglass place can get ANSI Z87.1 lenses and put them in an approved frame for you.  Not hard to find good protection at all.  
Link Posted: 6/9/2005 6:01:30 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Quoted:

labsafety noted above has frames for rx safety glasses.  Just about any eyeglass place can get ANSI Z87.1 lenses and put them in an approved frame for you.  Not hard to find good protection at all.  

I got mine here:
www.heavyglare.com
Link Posted: 6/9/2005 6:38:41 PM EDT
[#22]
About a year ago a visit to the range sent me to the eye Doc for a procedure. What happened was that I was shooting my SA 1911at an indoor range and a spent casing bounced off of the wood stall divider and came back and landed on the top edge of my shooting glasses. Unfortunately, it landed case mouth down and dumped some carbon flakes behind my glasses from the gap between them and my eyebrow. A flake found its way into my eye and got stuck. it itched and irritated like hell. I went home and pulled my eyelid back and saw the speck. I tried to flush it out with some eyedrops but it would not budge. I had to go in and the Doc put some liquid into my eye to make it stop moving and I could not blink that eye. She put my head into this vise-like contraption and told me not to move. The next thing I saw was her bringing a small scalpel right up to my eye which was VERY creepy. The speck had embedded itself a little bit and could not be brushed off so a small bit of my eye that contained the carbon was sliced out. It did not hurt ,but it sure made my skin crawl and I had to take antibiotic eyedrops for a while.

Even when you wear eye protection you can still get hurt. The glasses were Uvex industrial shop glasses you find everywhere.
Link Posted: 6/9/2005 6:43:38 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:
Funny...you spent all that money on a firearm...and yet a $2 pair of shop glass could have prevented this...

WEAR EYE PROTECTION!!!  

Goddamn, man.  Get shitty with the guy, he shows you that he WAS wearing eye protection, and you can't even muster an apology for being a jackass?

CS223, here's to hoping your surgery heals up nicely, with no complications.  Looks like it will, but prayers never hurt.
Link Posted: 6/9/2005 6:56:46 PM EDT
[#24]
Any updated pictures?  How is the healing going?
Link Posted: 6/9/2005 7:13:32 PM EDT
[#25]
Eeek, I'm going back to wearing these at the range...

I switched to small safety glasses like those you had cause the goggles felt dorky and fogged up. But hell I only get 1 set of eyes.
Link Posted: 6/10/2005 3:25:12 AM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:
I am glad everything worked out good for you.  I hope you weren't holding the gun like this?

www.daveschultz.com/maniacal/images/birdman.gif

Indeed I was, the gun had a feeding problem and I was working on it, trying to determine the cause of the failure by watching it cycle. Had I been holding it normally, the frags wouldn't have hit me.
Link Posted: 6/10/2005 3:37:09 AM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:
Any updated pictures?  How is the healing going?

Went back to the Doc. yesterday for the last post-op checkup. Healed up just fine, no scar, only ever so slight discoloration where the incision was made (which was in the fold of they eyelid). Only I would know that I had surgery. Everything checked out normal, vision etc. It sure takes a long time for the black & blue discoloration to fade.

Thanks for all the concern, just one of those freaky things, hope others have become more diligent about eye protection after reading this thread. I've met a number of people who still don't wear eye protection, love the excuses "the military/police department, etc. didn't/doesn't require it", "I train for real life, you won't be wearing eye/hearing protection when SHTF"  All true, but I'd like to have both eyes & ears when the SHTF instead of fighting with only one.
Link Posted: 6/10/2005 3:56:58 AM EDT
[#28]
Glad that the op went well.  I have been there myself.  Had a 40 cal casing blow up on me in a 1911 style pistol.  In my case my glasses stopped the shavings from going directly into my eye but the brass followed my nose and ended up in my eye.  Luckily it did not get too far inside and the eye surgeon was able to spoon out the shavings.
Link Posted: 6/10/2005 4:19:35 AM EDT
[#29]
Damn.
I usually wear my old .mil issue "birth control" glasses at the range since they are perscription and at least look bullet proof.

With this I think I will just invest in a good set of perscription safety glasses.

I won't want to be a jack ass but since nobody else asked I'll go for it.

How is the gun?
It wasn't hurt was it?
What kind of subgun.
Link Posted: 6/10/2005 5:14:26 AM EDT
[#30]
Maybe I can get my vision insurance to pay for a pair of these frames, I think they cover up to $180 a year for new frames.

www.heavyglare.com/Shooting.asp

www.heavyglare.com/AB1768000equick/shopdisplayproducts.asp?id=133&cat=Military
Link Posted: 6/10/2005 5:38:48 AM EDT
[#31]
about 15 years ago when I was younger and stupider was out at  the range and invited some coworkers.  One had a japanese WWII surplus rifle and some "gunshow" ammo, sold in  a plastic bag of dubious origin.  Anyway, I got in the prone position to plaly sniper and fired 3 shots, on the 3rd shot the case ruptured and got a bunch of brass in my right eyebrow.  Like an IDIOT I wasn't wearing eye protection.  I was able to pick out the small brass pieces with a sewing needle dipped in rubbing alcohol.  I count my lucky stars to not being blind in one eye.  Ever since then I wear safety glasses.  Anyone who doesn't is a DAMNED FOOL!  If you dont like wearing safety glasses then you reallly won't enjoy wearing a glass eyeball or a pirates patch
Link Posted: 6/10/2005 5:40:33 AM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

How is the gun?
It wasn't hurt was it?
What kind of subgun.

Gun was perfectly fine, it was a M11 Sub-gun and the upper receiver & bolt was misaligned which caused it to fire out of battery.

Link Posted: 6/10/2005 7:09:18 AM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

Quoted:

How is the gun?
It wasn't hurt was it?
What kind of subgun.

Gun was perfectly fine, it was a M11 Sub-gun and the upper receiver & bolt was misaligned which caused it to fire out of battery.

Ya those things are pretty tough.

I had my M.A.C. 10 fire out of battery once.
The incident didn't hurt MAC at all except for brass marks where all the little frags hit the bolt and inside of the reciever.
Lucky for me I wasn't shooting and diagnosing as you were.
Funny thing is I have done exactly that on many a trouble-shooting occasions.

But my problem was ammo.
After it happened I started checking brass and found a couple cases were split at the end where the projectile is pushed in.
I sent a hand full of the casings to the manufacturer and they took good care of me.

I think they wanted to prove that it was an isolated incident, and they did it well.
I had plenty of .45 on hand for a while.
Link Posted: 6/10/2005 8:00:12 AM EDT
[#34]
Is this the point in the AA meeting where I stand up and confess to taking off my protective eyewear on Tuesday night while shooting my M-1?

We were at the stage with the 10 round, 70 second, timed shoot in the prone position when my glasses started to fog up.  I gave it a second or two to clear up, but I knew that wouldn't happen.  I took the glasses off, knowing full well that wasn't a great idea, and finished that string.

Nothing blew up, so no problem this time.  I know, I know.
Link Posted: 6/10/2005 9:12:51 PM EDT
[#35]
Interesting.  I think this needs to be closer to the front page for a while longer.

La Bunny
Link Posted: 6/10/2005 9:25:02 PM EDT
[#36]
Got REAL BIG Eye Protection?
Link Posted: 6/10/2005 9:40:43 PM EDT
[#37]
cs223,

print out photos of your injury, and carry them in your shooting stuff.  When you encounter one who does not believe in eye protection.. show them the photos.

I have had enough metal stick into me and make me bleed from steel comps and 3 years working at an indoor range that I KNOW eye pro is needed!
Link Posted: 6/11/2005 12:01:27 AM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Funny...you spent all that money on a firearm...and yet a $2 pair of shop glass could have prevented this...

WEAR EYE PROTECTION!!!  

My Smith & Wesson safety glasses don't cover my eyebrows, pic to follow.

ETA Pic.

www.outdoorsunlimited.net/~chucksmy/Pictures/eye2.jpg

--------------------------------

Placing style over function Lot of good that S&W logo did huh?..........those tapered glasses suck. Get some real safety glasses that cover over the orbit of your eyes and have side shields. Hard lesson learned, glad you didn't lose an eye.
Link Posted: 6/11/2005 12:45:44 AM EDT
[#39]
I have had tow guns let go. Luckily, I was wearing eye protection both times.

The most recent one, about 18 months ago, a .45 case ruptured and looked almost identical to the case above.

Had I not had shooting glasses on, I may have been in trouble.

I had a line of cuts across my face and nose that was just below the glasse.

I did not even know that I was bleeding until my daughter brought it to my attention.

The laceration on my nose took a while to heal. The rest of them were gone in a few days.

But, my 47D magazine did not fare too well.
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top