Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 6
Link Posted: 12/19/2014 7:36:07 PM EDT
[#1]
Euphuistic clothing for euphuistic people. She gets it from somewhere. Good luck with that.
Link Posted: 12/19/2014 7:36:10 PM EDT
[#2]

Link Posted: 12/19/2014 7:37:33 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Instill a sense of financial responsibility and that day might not ever get here.  

Our oldest is twelve and she knows she can either have 2 pairs of jeans and 2 shirts for $200 or she can have 6 pairs of jeans and 6 shirts for $200.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I can't wait for that day. My two girls are less than a year and a half apart.

Instill a sense of financial responsibility and that day might not ever get here.  

Our oldest is twelve and she knows she can either have 2 pairs of jeans and 2 shirts for $200 or she can have 6 pairs of jeans and 6 shirts for $200.

Link Posted: 12/19/2014 7:37:58 PM EDT
[#4]
they've got white tshirts for male-ish people....for $270

what the actual fuck.
Link Posted: 12/19/2014 7:39:15 PM EDT
[#5]
Acne as in zits?  I pop that thought out of her head.
Link Posted: 12/19/2014 7:39:52 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

The possible big deal is teaching the daughter that thrift is not important.  It is teaching her that "in" items are required to be accepted or function in society.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I don't really see the problem if you can afford it. It's not really that expensive. Do you guys just buy $5 jeans and t shirts at walmart? lol If anything, get less gifts for her and get what she wants. I don't see what the big deal is.

The possible big deal is teaching the daughter that thrift is not important.  It is teaching her that "in" items are required to be accepted or function in society.

It's a Christmas gift.
Link Posted: 12/19/2014 7:40:11 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 12/19/2014 7:40:49 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Remember when acne was gross?  Times are a changin'.

Wow, their models are like something out of Faces-of-Meth.  

http://www.acnestudios.com/shop/women/sweatshirts.html
View Quote

Yes and their sweatshirts look stupid and too big on those models.
Link Posted: 12/19/2014 7:41:25 PM EDT
[#9]
And FTR, I can see the value in investing in a few high quality classic pieces that will see you through many years.  Most people just can't afford to do that for their entire wardrobe and/or don't want to be stuck wearing those same pieces ad infinitum.  You can get tired of a $300 shirt just as easily as a $20 one.
Link Posted: 12/19/2014 7:41:46 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

I guess *pieces of shit* is subjective but they fit well, look nice and clothe her for school for a year or two.  Not sure what else they're supposed to do.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Mine knows the same thing. She also knows those 6pr of jeans and 6 shirts will be pieces of shit. There is nothing wrong with spending money on good clothes....in fact, there is a lot right with it.

I guess *pieces of shit* is subjective but they fit well, look nice and clothe her for school for a year or two.  Not sure what else they're supposed to do.  

Right? I have a female family member who was well revered in terms of beauty in high school, and also won best dressed or something along those lines for her class. She makes very good money now, and still maintains a sense of fashion, and she has always shopped with money in mind. This isn't to say she goes out and buys a bunch of crap, she realizes that companies have their "cycles" of clothing, and if you buy them once they aren't "in-season", they are much cheaper, as well as looking out for good sales.

One of the biggest issues with women, is that most of them aren't going to wear an outfit more than a handful of times. They might get one item they are attached to for a bit, but then it never gets worn again. I compare this to myself; I will spend a few hundred on a nice jacket, knowing damn well I am going to run that thing into the ground.

All this "ironic" hipster-tier clothing absolutely baffles my mind. Expensive =/= quality.
Link Posted: 12/19/2014 7:42:01 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

You think this is beta? Come on now. This dude would straight up wreck anyone on this boards shit.

View Quote

Link Posted: 12/19/2014 7:45:01 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Right? I have a female family member who was well revered in terms of beauty in high school, and also won best dressed or something along those lines. She makes very good money now, and still maintains a sense of fashion, and she has always shopped with money in mind. This isn't to say she goes out and buys a bunch of crap, she realizes that companies have their "cycles" of clothing, and if you buy them once they aren't "in-season", they are much cheaper, as well as looking out for good sales.

One of the biggest issues with women, is that most of them aren't going to wear an outfit more than a handful of times. They might get one item they are attached to for a bit, but then it never gets worn again. I compare this to myself; I will spend a few hundred on a nice jacket, knowing damn well I am going to run that thing into the ground.

All this "ironic" hipster-tier clothing absolutely baffles my mind. Expensive =/= quality.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Mine knows the same thing. She also knows those 6pr of jeans and 6 shirts will be pieces of shit. There is nothing wrong with spending money on good clothes....in fact, there is a lot right with it.

Right? I have a female family member who was well revered in terms of beauty in high school, and also won best dressed or something along those lines. She makes very good money now, and still maintains a sense of fashion, and she has always shopped with money in mind. This isn't to say she goes out and buys a bunch of crap, she realizes that companies have their "cycles" of clothing, and if you buy them once they aren't "in-season", they are much cheaper, as well as looking out for good sales.

Oh, I wear my clothes for years.  I do most of my shopping at Walmart, Burlington, Cato and the like.  Even Kohl's is a little high end for me.  

I think I look nice and I don't get anxiety when paying at the checkout.  It's a win/win.  
Link Posted: 12/19/2014 7:47:40 PM EDT
[#13]
All of their models and clothes make me think

a) homeless
b) junkie
c), tranny
d) all of the above

You wouldn't want anyone confusing your daughter with any of that, would you?
Link Posted: 12/19/2014 7:48:58 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
op, YOLO!!

i say FO!
View Quote

You seem.....familiar.
Link Posted: 12/19/2014 7:49:20 PM EDT
[#15]
Models look the way they do because the designer wants you to look at their clothes not the models.  No make-up hair pulled back, no tan, homogenous people - helps you to not see them and focus on the clothes.

Link Posted: 12/19/2014 7:49:49 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Oh, I wear my clothes for years.  I do most of my shopping at Walmart, Burlington, Cato and the like.  Even Kohl's is a little high end for me.  

I think I look nice and I don't get anxiety when paying at the checkout.  It's a win/win.  
View Quote

I'm the epitome of horrible fashion, although I don't give a fuck.

I wear what is comfortable. For work that is usually Jeans and T-shirts and a Hat, for the weekend is usually more Jeans and T-Shirts and a hat. Throw an occasional Arc' Teryx jacket or other cool kid pants, maybe some Nike/Under Armour polos, alternate pairs of shoes, and that's me. Used to wear more shorts, although I blew threw all my pairs and never bought more, so my legs are vampire-esque pale.

If someone doesn't like it, they can look in the other direction. I'm not trying to impress anyone.
Link Posted: 12/19/2014 7:50:08 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

You think this is beta? Come on now. This dude would straight up wreck anyone on this boards shit.

https://cdn1.lockerdome.com/uploads/6886616c705214630342947dbdf41ca12fb62d81b1933c4b9ecf410f0a263dba_:original
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
When comparing relative to the cost of many of our own hobbies, and the stupid amount of money I spend on things, the price isn't that bad. It's the fact that they are charging that much for some ugly ass sweatshirts.

I get that they are going for that whole "vintage oversize" thing, but I couldn't imagine paying that much money for something that looks like that.

Look at this for example.

http://d3pfrs3be80x9y.cloudfront.net/media/catalog/product/cache/6/image/x900/17f82f742ffe127f42dca9de82fb58b1/1/H/1HA143-900_A_14808.jpg

$350.

Acne Studios Fleece black is a zip front hooded sweatshirt with a drawstring in the back to create volume.

Drawstring channel at base of hood
Centre front zipper closure
Two front pockets
Two piece sleeve
Drawstring in the back to create volume
78% Cotton 22% Polyester

The only appeal is how large it is and that it has a large drawstring to make it look like you're the Stay Puft marshmallow man. No trick materials, no inventive design. It's a baggie hoody that costs $350.

Same exact sweatshirt at Costco.

Wouldn't be surprised if they got them from the same place and simply transferred the logo.

BTW, check out the 'male models' if you want to see the definition of beta male.

https://cdn1.lockerdome.com/uploads/6886616c705214630342947dbdf41ca12fb62d81b1933c4b9ecf410f0a263dba_:original

Never even learned to tie his own shoes.
Link Posted: 12/19/2014 7:50:43 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

And FTR, I can see the value in investing in a few high quality classic pieces that will see you through many years.  Most people just can't afford to do that for their entire wardrobe and/or don't want to be stuck wearing those same pieces ad infinitum.  You can get tired of a $300 shirt just as easily as a $20 one.
View Quote

I agree with that.  But a oversize sweatshirt doesn't meet that test (in my mind).

Link Posted: 12/19/2014 7:53:32 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

a) homeless

b) junkie

c), tranny

d) all of the above

View Quote

She goes to an upper-crusty college.  I suspect the brand has some following there.  She is very intelligent, motivated and has her head on right.  I think the siren song of peer likeness is creeping in a bit.

Link Posted: 12/19/2014 7:53:43 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

I wear what is comfortable. For work that is usually Jeans and T-shirts and a Hat, for the weekend is usually more Jeans and T-Shirts and a hat. Throw an occasional Arc' Teryx jacket or other cool kid pants, maybe some Nike/Under Armour polos, alternate pairs of shoes, and that's me. Used to wear more shorts, although I blew threw all my pairs and never bought more, so my legs are vampire-esque pale.

If someone doesn't like it, they can look in the other direction. I'm not trying to impress anyone.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Doesn't sound horrible to me.  That's how guys are *supposed to* dress.  

Link Posted: 12/19/2014 7:53:51 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

I agree with that.  But a oversize sweatshirt doesn't meet that test (in my mind).
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

It might be something she will actually enjoy, and it could possibly be something that she will absolutely love and will constantly for "x" amount of time(depending on age).

If she doesn't normally ask for stuff like that, or if her list has only one sweatshirt listed(not a bunch of expensive lol2cool4u clothes), I would personally buy it for her.

That depends on a number of factors though.
Link Posted: 12/19/2014 7:54:53 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

a) homeless
b) junkie
c), tranny
d) all of the above

View Quote

Don't forget full blown case of the AIDS.
Link Posted: 12/19/2014 7:55:38 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

That's what I thought. Then again, we both live in Texas. *insert comments about girly sissy-men from them yankee states* *shakes fist*
Link Posted: 12/19/2014 7:56:55 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

It might be something she will actually enjoy, and it could possibly be something that she will absolutely love and will constantly for "x" amount of time(depending on age).

If she doesn't normally ask for stuff like that, or if her list has only one sweatshirt listed(not a bunch of expensive lol2cool4u clothes), I would personally buy it for her.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

All of those are accurate.

Link Posted: 12/19/2014 7:57:57 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

She goes to an upper-crusty college.  I suspect the brand has some following there.  She is very intelligent, motivated and has her head on right.  I think the siren song of peer likeness is creeping in a bit.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

a) homeless
b) junkie
c), tranny
d) all of the above

It's quite possible the clothes are popular with people that don't look or act like zombies.
Link Posted: 12/19/2014 7:58:19 PM EDT
[#26]
fuck that

My daughter finds cheap stuff and braggs when she finds 105 coupons

My kids only get a budget of $200-300 or so for Christmas.

Free
Link Posted: 12/19/2014 7:59:07 PM EDT
[#27]

I guess i'm cheap as I get $30-50 jeans

Quoted:

I don't really see the problem if you can afford it. It's not really that expensive. Do you guys just buy $5 jeans and t shirts at walmart? lol If anything, get less gifts for her and get what she wants. I don't see what the big deal is.
View Quote

Link Posted: 12/19/2014 7:59:43 PM EDT
[#28]
Get her this hat

Link Posted: 12/19/2014 8:00:10 PM EDT
[#29]
That is the same thing my daughter said        
Quoted:
Are they using zombies for models?  You think that would slice their advertising costs and the sweatshirts would be cheaper.  

FTR, I don't get the name brand thing.  I can get a sweat shirt that looks just like at Walmart for $10.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Remember when acne was gross?  Times are a changin'.

Wow, their models are like something out of Faces-of-Meth.  

http://www.acnestudios.com/shop/women/sweatshirts.html

Are they using zombies for models?  You think that would slice their advertising costs and the sweatshirts would be cheaper.  

FTR, I don't get the name brand thing.  I can get a sweat shirt that looks just like at Walmart for $10.  

Link Posted: 12/19/2014 8:00:53 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:
Yes I do. However, I did splurge and spend $15 for a Johnson Woolen company lined shirt and a Filson unlined one last week.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Yes I do. However, I did splurge and spend $15 for a Johnson Woolen company lined shirt and a Filson unlined one last week.
Who spends that kind of money in this economy?  $3 pants and $2 t-shirts (brand new) at Goodwill for me.

Link Posted: 12/19/2014 8:01:02 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Then go for it. I'm sure it would make her day.

Personally, I would get a couple of jokes in during the day about you seeing the same one at goodwill for $5(in a lighthearted manner, not a dickhead stern dad matter).

That's just my opinion from someone who is probably close to the same age as her(if she's in College).
Link Posted: 12/19/2014 8:03:50 PM EDT
[#32]
My Daughter just said he needs to turn in his man card        
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

When comparing relative to the cost of many of our own hobbies, and the stupid amount of money I spend on things, the price isn't that bad. It's the fact that they are charging that much for some ugly ass sweatshirts.

I get that they are going for that whole "vintage oversize" thing, but I couldn't imagine paying that much money for something that looks like that.

Look at this for example.

http://d3pfrs3be80x9y.cloudfront.net/media/catalog/product/cache/6/image/x900/17f82f742ffe127f42dca9de82fb58b1/1/H/1HA143-900_A_14808.jpg

$350.

Acne Studios Fleece black is a zip front hooded sweatshirt with a drawstring in the back to create volume.

Drawstring channel at base of hood

Centre front zipper closure

Two front pockets

Two piece sleeve

Drawstring in the back to create volume

78% Cotton 22% Polyester

The only appeal is how large it is and that it has a large drawstring to make it look like you're the Stay Puft marshmallow man. No trick materials, no inventive design. It's a baggie hoody that costs $350.

Same exact sweatshirt at Costco.

Wouldn't be surprised if they got them from the same place and simply transferred the logo.

BTW, check out the 'male models' if you want to see the definition of beta male.

Link Posted: 12/19/2014 8:03:52 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I agree with you on that.  That's just buying into a fad for the sake of it, IMO.  

And even with value/investment----it's not something that comes naturally to me.  My husband is a buy once, cry once type guy so he's gotten me to loosen up a bit over the years but still, I see it like this:

http://shop.nordstrom.com/s/kristen-blake-wool-blend-walking-coat-regular-petite/3775038?origin=category-personalizedsort&contextualcategoryid=0&fashionColor=Red&resultback=960&cm_sp=personalizedsort-_-browseresults-_-1_3_A

http://www.walmart.com/ip/38553274?productRedirect=true

If I need a coat, what is the real benefit to me spending $285 on one vs $45 on one?
Link Posted: 12/19/2014 8:04:19 PM EDT
[#34]
You could get her an XL carhart sweatshirt, pop a zit on it, viola.  Acne designs.
Link Posted: 12/19/2014 8:05:02 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Meh, better than the scarf I just bought.

This one.
View Quote

I had to wait 3 hours to see the McQueen exhibit at the Met Museum in NY.

My SO is a designer...
Link Posted: 12/19/2014 8:07:23 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Well, that paints a little different picture.  Doesn't sound like you're catering to a spoiled kid so I might consider it.
Link Posted: 12/19/2014 8:07:33 PM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:
It's quite possible the clothes are popular with people that don't look or act like zombies.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

a) homeless

b) junkie

c), tranny

d) all of the above

Thats likely.  Its just tough to break out of the Dad Mode at this level of bizarre.

Link Posted: 12/19/2014 8:09:50 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

Thats likely.  Its just tough to break out of the Dad Mode at this level of bizarre.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

a) homeless
b) junkie
c), tranny
d) all of the above

Trust but verify.
Link Posted: 12/19/2014 8:10:14 PM EDT
[#39]
Just say No.  Tell her materialism isn't the path to happiness.
Link Posted: 12/19/2014 8:11:48 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Just say No.  Tell her materialism isn't the path to happiness.
View Quote

Link Posted: 12/19/2014 8:13:05 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
Meh, better than the scarf I just bought.

This one.
View Quote

You sir, have class
Link Posted: 12/19/2014 8:18:01 PM EDT
[#42]
LOL, some of those look like a basic Hanes $15 sweatshirts.  That is so effing retarded.

ETA: Jesus that is the worst website I have ever seen.  I hate that kind of fashion.  Looks like that retarded high art Japanese fashion.  Ridiculous amounts of money for incredibly ugly clothes that no one outside of a couple of cities will be caught dead in.
Link Posted: 12/19/2014 8:27:47 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
LOL, some of those look like a basic Hanes $15 sweatshirts.  That is so effing retarded.

ETA: Jesus that is the worst website I have ever seen.  I hate that kind of fashion.  Looks like that retarded high art Japanese fashion.  Ridiculous amounts of money for incredibly ugly clothes that no one outside of a couple of cities will be caught dead in.
View Quote

If her friends are stupid enough to dress like that, buy her some better friends for Christmas.
Link Posted: 12/19/2014 8:29:16 PM EDT
[#44]
 I wouldn't buy that shit for my daughter. Although if you are trying to keep boys away then buy multiples.  
Link Posted: 12/19/2014 8:29:30 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

It's a Christmas gift.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

It's a Christmas gift.

My point remains the same.
Link Posted: 12/19/2014 8:32:26 PM EDT
[#46]
http://www.walmart.com/ip/Fruit-of-the-Loom-Men-s-Fleece-Crew-Sweatshirt/25033121

$6.  Get in XXXL and write "ACNE" on it.  Spend the other $294 on ammo.
Link Posted: 12/19/2014 8:35:48 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
http://www.walmart.com/ip/Fruit-of-the-Loom-Men-s-Fleece-Crew-Sweatshirt/25033121

$6.  Get in XXXL and write "ACNE" on it.
 Spend the other $294 on ammo.
View Quote

That's actually a brilliant idea, even if he was going to purchase it for his daughter. Buy one of those and wrap it up, then give it to her. Watch her squirm for a minute then hand the actual present to her.
Link Posted: 12/19/2014 8:41:41 PM EDT
[#48]

Yeah - and sleep with one eye open whenever she is on break from school.  

Link Posted: 12/19/2014 8:42:41 PM EDT
[#49]
I've just sent a text to my sweetie asking for her to please explain this fashion. I'll post her expert opinion on why this is somehow good in the morning.

To be clear,she doesn't design or make expressly functional clothes and her stuff is not cheap. A pair of jeans from her is around €300 but are fitted and made by hand in Eesti rather than cranked out in Turkey or Indonesia. I'll post a couple of her things in a second

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 12/19/2014 8:43:20 PM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Yeah - and sleep with one eye open whenever she is on break from school.  

I mean as far as I can tell it looks like Fruit of the Loom is comparable or better quality AND makes the models happier.

Page / 6
Top Top