User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 6
Link Posted: 4/14/2013 8:58:49 PM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I'm pretty sure there was a bigfoot on Salerno. I know for a fact there was a big ass lizard in the citrus grove.

Personal knowledge or scuttlebutt?  C'mon man, details.

So, no shit, there I was. Out for a stroll (had to see a man about a motorcycle)in beautiful FOB Salerno (it was pitch black, smelled like shit) enjoying the sights (couldn't see shit) with my carbine and a spare mag (and a frag and my nods in my cargo pockets).

I rounded the corner between the firebase and the FOB, when something big, and hairy, ran across the road and jumped up on the hescos. It ran down the length of the hescos and jumped off on the other side.

I decided it didn't see me, and I was already being pretty quiet, so maybe I'd round the corner and check it out. Then I heard the gun bunnies yelling, so I did a 180. Gun bunnies in the dark looking for something to whup up on...no thanks.

I don't know what it was.

Fast forward a few nights, I was standing in a shadow caddycorner from the big TOC, enjoying a rip it and a dip. The TOC people were filtering out for a smoke, bitching about things they bitch about, when the same big hairy thing ran past, right down the shadowy and unlit road.

No idea what that was either.

I heard it had a soft spot for take out meals, and SOGs from AL...out by OP1. A write up was published in one of the unit rags. I can't find it online.

You were likely getting probed by Nazeer, the nine-foot Taliban.  In all cerealness, an Afghan Sasquatch makes for some interesting story-telling...

Link Posted: 4/14/2013 9:02:24 PM EDT
[#2]
We had what appeared to be a man sneaking up on our position on thermals. We shot a flare up to see, and there was no one there. So we shot a 203 grenade at the position, and didn't have any problems with sneaky ghost men after that.

Moral of the story: HE kills ghosts.
Link Posted: 4/14/2013 9:03:06 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

-
You were likely getting probed by Nazeer, the nine-foot Taliban.  In all cerealness, an Afghan Sasquatch makes for some interesting story-telling...

Can't remember who it was, but it one of the old sasquatch threads, there was a poster who had a particular theory as to exactly what the sasquatch is... and seeing a/the sasquatch in Afghanistan would make sense.

Mostly had to do with Genesis 4:11-15 or so.
Link Posted: 4/14/2013 9:06:40 PM EDT
[#4]
There was also a story that one of our DCCs had a devil sticker on his TO case that was located in the cargo bay. Apparently during a red ball, a our pro super was up on the jet, saw it  and told him to get rid of the frowning devil sticker. The crew chief looked at the pro sup and said in a confused manner, "I don't have a frowning Devil sticker, its a smiling devil. Sure as shit, they went back up and it was smiling again. It was scrapped off shortly after but I did see the smiling sticker. It never frowned at me. I know, lame... lol but it was weird thinking about it and looking at it. Think 50s style tattoo with a pencil thin mustache if you need a mental image.
Link Posted: 4/14/2013 9:07:00 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
I would like to start a military-themed "creepy thread."

Was medical student at USU from 1986-1990.  During gross anatomy lab, ex-Special Forces Army type starts spilling his guts.  He said he was on an exercise in Florida when his unit came up against a fence where no fence was supposed to exist, in the middle of nowhere.  There, on the flight line beyond, he saw several classic UFOs (discs), lined up on the tarmac.  Suddenly, Air Force Security Police came up on his unit, weapons drawn.  

"Hey, we're Army Rangers on an exercise...So, what are those things on the runway over there?"

"What things, Sir?  I do not know what you are talking about. Turn around and leave this area or you will be subject to deadly force.  This is your final warning."

Needless to say, the Army folks did an about face and returned to the wilderness.

Dah dah dah dah, dah dah dah dah....
Link Posted: 4/14/2013 9:10:17 PM EDT
[#6]
Alright, I'm game.

The Cistern

Way back in the day, I mean WAY BACK, in 2005, I was just a young Joe in a SBCT. I'd barely even started chewing the customary Copenhagen even. A young buck, was I. My platoon was scheduled to do a patrol out in the hinterlands of Mosul city proper. Well, we rolled up on an abandoned house, and decided to search it out for a weapons cache, thinking that it might be a Haj base camp. I was the Team leader at this point in my illustrious 2 year career, a salty badass of ill repute.

I once accidentally ate a piece of steel, thinking it was cheese, and imagine my surprise when I shit out a fully formed ten penny nail the next day. But back to the story.

I led my courageous team of elite killing machines, consisting of a gigantic half black, half kuwaiti smart ass, and a tiny 4' 9" Asian man named Thong, towards the back of the house. We found a well back there with a stone cover, that was heavy as fuck, capping it. We almost dropped a trio of assholes trying to get it open. So then we circle around, and find a kind of bulkhead sunk into the ground, locked.

I defeated the lock simply by virtue of gripping it with my bare hands, and ripping it off. After I'd busted it mostly off with a Halligan tool, I mean. I turned on my head lamp, and it showed that we had found our way into the actual well. There was a ledge running around a pool of water, who knows how deep, and the water was an oily black color in the dark.

My head lamp flickered and died, right about then. I was the only soldier that had thought to bring one, so the only light we had was streaming in from the open bulkhead. It was dead silent down there, except for the rhythmic sounds of water lapping against the stone walkway. To describe this creepy little cavern would take days I no longer have, but it looked EXACTLY like the interior view of the well from that shite movie, "The Ring".

That was enough to creep out my intrepid band of heroes, but we also heard movement. The spider webs were draping around our heads, shrouding what little we could see. About then, we decided that due to all the webs, there was no way anyone had been down there for quite some time. Suddenly, before my very eyes, I saw something about the size of a medium dog* dart across the floor of the well.

I moved deeper into the hall leading to the well, aiming my trusty M-9 into the dimness that frustrated my vision. The monster chose that moment, my moment of greatest weakness, to attack! He rushed me, baring his fearsome yellow teeth. I emitted a war cry, fearsome in both volume and fury, that sounded absolutely nothing like a school girl's scream of terror, no matter what those fucking liars in my team say.

I fired bravely at the monster as he hissed and spit poisonous gas, fired until my weapon was empty, then dealt the beast a ferocious blow with my boot, sending him flying into the pool of water. I advanced in a tactically sound manner, directly back to the Stryker.

I fucking swear, guys. Biggest goddamn rat I ever saw in my entire life.

*Maybe it was a little smaller, but only a tad.
Link Posted: 4/14/2013 9:13:52 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Ft Lewis during a STX....my turn to pull shift in the turret of the stryker. I swear to fucking God I saw Sasquatch that night. I SWEAR IT

I've been really freaked out on the island in the Nisqually River, between the Nisqually tribe and Ft Lewis, just south of the impact area. There is an area of untouched old growth forest that is like land that time forgot about. Spooky as fuck in there. I always had the hair on the neck standing up , I'm being watched sensation in that place.

We always joked that it was Bigfoot but I'll guess it was a cougar that was making us feel uneasy. But being in that area, it's not too far a stretch of the imagination...

Link Posted: 4/14/2013 9:23:45 PM EDT
[#8]
When I was stationed at Osan AB, one of the posts we pulled security at was a command and control center called KCOIC.  KCOIC was a hardend facility built into a hill.  When you passed the ECP, there was a hardened steel door that was designed to drop down and seal the entrance to the facility.  Right before my Flight came on shift, the door some how dropped down while an airman was walking under it (we, the SP's didnt control the door).  It smashed his toes completely off.  The door stayed down for about a day while the accident/safety board conducted its investigation and then was raised but braced in the open position.  No one ever just "walked" under that door again.
Link Posted: 4/14/2013 9:34:26 PM EDT
[#9]
From the story I read in 2002, the USMC "found" a Sherman tank that had been sitting out in the woods lost for nearly 60 years.

Story is here, but not as I read it initially:
http://www.lejeune.marines.mil/News/ArticleView/tabid/1108/Article/3049/sherman-tank-recovered-at-lejeune.aspx

Kinda weird that it was just "lost" for 60 years.

The LVT near the entrance to the ramp was supposedly "found" packed and greased for long-term storage/shipping (or even in a shipping container) somewhere by accident, given to the Army or something by mistake, and then just forgotten about for a few decades.  By the time it got back to the Corps, it was just parked out front as a heritage/history piece.
Link Posted: 4/14/2013 9:46:38 PM EDT
[#10]
I've been in a couple Iraqi torture rooms.  Fucking spooky.  You can feel the death and pain in them.  

We got spooked out by some hogs on an OP one night though near Baqubah.  Who fucking knew there were feral hogs in Iraq?  Fucking things had us about ready to light up 40 insurgents creeping through the palm groves.  If you haven't been in the palm groves, they are more stereotypical Vietnam than stereotypical Iraq.  Thick as fuck in some places.  Good for hiding though.

I heard a (dead) buddy a couple of times in Iraq.  Nothing major or long conversations though.  RIP Ben.  You're a goddamned hero, and I miss you.
Link Posted: 4/14/2013 9:48:57 PM EDT
[#11]
Fort Lewis has some really weird areas down in South Rainier Training Area. They seem normal, and then you start moving through them at night, and it all goes weird. The old homesteads spotted through there are spooky as hell in the right conditions.

During training one spring, we went down there to do squad-size patrols. One night, we're out moving and we lost contact with the two guys who were on trail, and had to go back for them. They'd just vanished. I'm running the squad, and we can't find these two idiots anywhere. Our trail was pretty clear, and I have myself and one of the team leaders looking for them. No joy, but we do find a spot where it looks like a couple of guys might have taken a different path. We follow it, and after a couple of hundred meters, the trail peters out. Can't raise anyone on the radio, and we go back to where we'd left the squad and laager up for the rest of the night, figuring we'll find our two lost lambs in the morning. At first light, we take off looking for these two, and following the apparent trail and making some educated guesses about the terrain they might have followed, we eventually find both of them holed up about three-four miles away in an old root cellar they'd fallen into the night before.

What was spooky? Both these guys swore up and down they'd been following us, and never separated until they fell into the root cellar. According to them, they'd been right on our asses, and had been following our cat-eyes, plus making the counts at the periodic halts. They described hearing us move along in front of them, too. Then, suddenly, when they'd fallen into the root cellar, it was like some kind of spell or something was broken, and they were all by themselves out in the middle of nowhere. Both these guys were scared shitless, and I'm still not too sure what happened with them that night. The one dude I'm sure could have gotten lost at noon in Times Square, but the other guy was one of our more experienced troops who knew his way around the woods better than most, and who I'd trusted to keep an eye on things on trail. We were also the only idiots out there in that particular area at the time. About all I could ever figure out was that they'd been exhausted and more-or-less sleepwalked to where they were, hallucinating we were ahead of them. They were both morally certain that they were right on our asses up until they fell into that root cellar, and when they got out of it, they were completely alone. The one who was a decent woodsman was actually pissed that we'd left them behind, up until we showed him where they'd taken a different course than the rest of the squad had. And, that was where it really got weird, because he described hitting that exact spot in the route we'd taken, and being unsure of where to go until one of the other guys had come back, touched him on the arm, and taken off up the wrong trail with those two behind him. They'd kept that guy who'd come back for them in sight until they fell into the root cellar. And, none of us who were with the main body had done anything like that, at all.

I suppose it's remotely possible some other unit had people out there in the area at the time and our elements just got mixed up, but if they were there, they weren't supposed to be. The whole thing was just weird as hell.
Link Posted: 4/14/2013 10:05:19 PM EDT
[#12]
For 5 months in 2011-2012 I was on a small 12 - 15 man OP that was overrun in 2009. There's a propaganda video of the Taliban bayoneting the last American alive that our S2 gave us, as well as all the debriefs. The same guys who overran it 2 years prior were still acive and attacked us almost every day. There was a guard tower erected in the burnt out rubble where the last Soldier was murdered and guys on the midnight guard shift swore up and down they heard and saw shit on a regular basis. Even the Athiests. I am always a little skeptical of the supernatural so I sat a guard shift or two and never saw shit. It was real to these guys though. The door would slam, the generator would turn itself off, weird shuffling noises, stuff like that. They started volunteering to sit shifts with each other so they would overlap, basically pulling double guard duty so no one would have to be in there all the time by themself. I told them we had overlapping sectors, the other guard tower could see them perfectly and it was only 30 meters away, that wasn't necessary. Sleep was. They still refused. The "Specter" as they called it was getting more active.
One night I woke up on my plywood bunkbed sweating profusely, (normal - no A/C) and was wide awake. Randomly, so was my platoon sergeant. It was hot as fuck we both agreed. Probably a good time for some 0200 spot checks. As we threw our plate carriers over our PTs and made our way past the charred, burnt out hescos that acted as our wall I saw the british contractor milling around in his red lens headlamp. He couldn't sleep either.
Just then we heard the distinctive "CRUMP!!" of a frag grenade just outside the wire, maybe 50 meters away. I powered up my MBITR and we began running towards the South Tower and got to it in a few seconds. I could hear the two guys on shift yelling at each other inside.
"You stupid motherfucker! Why did you do that?"
"I'm sick and tired of his shit!"
As we reached the door we yelled our names and we were coming in. Before I could ask what the fuck was going on we heard moaning about 30 meters down the hill the guard tower overlooked. I grabbed the PAS13 and climbed on the roof. Next to the hot spot from the frag was a glowing white hot body writhing behind a boulder. My MBITR was working by now and the guy in the TOC called up saying we were getting a TON of radio chatter, he recorded it while he went to wake up the interpreter.
Luckily the SOG was our sniper with the M2010 and he arrived by now with his PVS29 clipped on and joined me on top of the tower. We could roughly hear over the moaning another guy yelling, a ways away, running down the mountain. SOG picked him up, by now we had accountability of our people, and I told him to waste the guy running away.
We went to stand to and about 3 hours after sun up I talked to the two guys who were in the South Tower.
They were hearing noises at the base of their tower and were convinced the specter was haunting them. One was saying to wait for the SOG to arrive and the other said fuck it and threw a grenade. They wasted a dude with an RPG and 3 rockets. The interpreter translated the radio comms and it was basically the extent of "It was too close, it was too close! We got too close!", before he was shot in the back.
I still don't know how "the specter" relates to the story. He never bothered us again. Maybe it's because our guys had a rude awakening that there was a much more real enemy out there. Or maybe it was because he had served his purpose. I don't know.
Link Posted: 4/14/2013 10:17:14 PM EDT
[#13]
I woke up in the middle of the night to someone standing in my doorway.

Iraq, towards the end. I was sleeping in my chu and that "emergency:danger!" sense pulled me out of a dead sleep. It warned me to first figuring out what was going on. I kept my eyes on the target, standing in the door. Watching me. He's scanning the room. I don't think I can load my rifle faster than the 2-3 steps he would have to take so I choose my knife. I slowly grabbed it from my side. Slowly, even slower, I opened the blade.

He's too tall to be my roommate and he doesn't belong in there. He's just watching. Standing there and watching.
I start to adjust my body because I'm gonna get violent. The knife is firmly grasped, posed to strike. I moved my left elbow. It slid against the bed and made some noise. The figure shifted his head. It looked straight at me then made a half second hesitation. He takes one step backwards and fades through the locked door.

I called out "Roommate? You awake?"
He immediately calls back. "That was fucking real?"

I come flying out of my rack swishing at the air as violently as possible all the way to the light switch. Lights now on, and nobody is there. The door is locked. Nobody is in the room except for me and a very wide eyed roommate. We checked every wall locker, window, doorway, wall, space under a bed, and any and every where else a person could fit or hide. Nobody is inside and nobody saw anything outside.

We never figured out who or what it was. We kept the lights on for the rest of the tour.
Link Posted: 4/14/2013 10:22:18 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 4/14/2013 10:33:43 PM EDT
[#15]
We were made aware of rumers of Bigfoot in Camp Pendleton in the traingin ranges.
Never seen anything
Link Posted: 4/14/2013 10:52:13 PM EDT
[#16]
Old National guard armory in eastern Washington..most of the company was killed in action in the pacific theater....several years ago a friend of mine had to stay in it over night.....heard banging on the 3rd floor..investigates..all windows and doors are open..he closes all of them, goes back to 1st floor, awakens 20 minutes later to more banging, goes back up stairs, all windows and doors are open again.....another buddy said he heard voices at night on the drill floor and the sounds of people walking around, but he never saw anything when he went to look around...
Link Posted: 4/14/2013 11:37:40 PM EDT
[#17]
1991 Fort Polk LA. Night recon mission. We had been humping for a couple hours and every once in a while we could hear something paralleling us.  We come into a small clearing and whatever was tracking us was now fanning out around the clearing just inside the woodline and trying to surround us.  We about face and unass the area....never knew what it was.

A few nights later we were tasked with reconning a new company area as the battalion was making a move. We roll over there in a 5tton to do the recon. We get there and set up security while the squad leader and ASL begin scoping out the area.  We were there all of 10 minutes when the SL & ASL come out of the woodline screaming lets get the fuck outa here!  We get back to our AO and the ASL said he saw movement close to him (people) and they were carrying weapons not GI type issue weapons. I pretty much deducted it was locals perhaps out screwing around on Polk but I don't know.

Polk was a spooky place at night.
Link Posted: 4/15/2013 12:10:26 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
For 5 months in 2011-2012 I was on a small 12 - 15 man OP that was overrun in 2009. There's a propaganda video of the Taliban bayoneting the last American alive that our S2 gave us, as well as all the debriefs. The same guys who overran it 2 years prior were still acive and attacked us almost every day. There was a guard tower erected in the burnt out rubble where the last Soldier was murdered and guys on the midnight guard shift swore up and down they heard and saw shit on a regular basis. Even the Athiests. I am always a little skeptical of the supernatural so I sat a guard shift or two and never saw shit. It was real to these guys though. The door would slam, the generator would turn itself off, weird shuffling noises, stuff like that. They started volunteering to sit shifts with each other so they would overlap, basically pulling double guard duty so no one would have to be in there all the time by themself. I told them we had overlapping sectors, the other guard tower could see them perfectly and it was only 30 meters away, that wasn't necessary. Sleep was. They still refused. The "Specter" as they called it was getting more active.
One night I woke up on my plywood bunkbed sweating profusely, (normal - no A/C) and was wide awake. Randomly, so was my platoon sergeant. It was hot as fuck we both agreed. Probably a good time for some 0200 spot checks. As we threw our plate carriers over our PTs and made our way past the charred, burnt out hescos that acted as our wall I saw the british contractor milling around in his red lens headlamp. He couldn't sleep either.
Just then we heard the distinctive "CRUMP!!" of a frag grenade just outside the wire, maybe 50 meters away. I powered up my MBITR and we began running towards the South Tower and got to it in a few seconds. I could hear the two guys on shift yelling at each other inside.
"You stupid motherfucker! Why did you do that?"
"I'm sick and tired of his shit!"
As we reached the door we yelled our names and we were coming in. Before I could ask what the fuck was going on we heard moaning about 30 meters down the hill the guard tower overlooked. I grabbed the PAS13 and climbed on the roof. Next to the hot spot from the frag was a glowing white hot body writhing behind a boulder. My MBITR was working by now and the guy in the TOC called up saying we were getting a TON of radio chatter, he recorded it while he went to wake up the interpreter.
Luckily the SOG was our sniper with the M2010 and he arrived by now with his PVS29 clipped on and joined me on top of the tower. We could roughly hear over the moaning another guy yelling, a ways away, running down the mountain. SOG picked him up, by now we had accountability of our people, and I told him to waste the guy running away.
We went to stand to and about 3 hours after sun up I talked to the two guys who were in the South Tower.
They were hearing noises at the base of their tower and were convinced the specter was haunting them. One was saying to wait for the SOG to arrive and the other said fuck it and threw a grenade. They wasted a dude with an RPG and 3 rockets. The interpreter translated the radio comms and it was basically the extent of "It was too close, it was too close! We got too close!", before he was shot in the back.
I still don't know how "the specter" relates to the story. He never bothered us again. Maybe it's because our guys had a rude awakening that there was a much more real enemy out there. Or maybe it was because he had served his purpose. I don't know.
http://sphotos-b.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-snc6/264823_10151350959334778_82597275_n.jpg

Mate, that is a rally cool picture, really give the impression of Afghanistan at night and is actually spooky for me to imagine being there on a moon lit night knowing there are terrorists close by, even though we can't see them, we know they are there and they will kill you in most horrible ways, that pic really conveys being in enemy territory and I'm happy I have not been nor do I have to go there.
Link Posted: 4/15/2013 3:56:13 AM EDT
[#19]
Bump for day shift... I need some reading material when I get back to the TOC tomorrow.
Link Posted: 4/15/2013 6:20:58 AM EDT
[#20]
Ok I will add my creepy story, I was at the NTC at Ft Irwin Ca. We had been running cas-evac all day and were dead tired. Of course it was still 100 plus degrees out there in mid August. My driver and myself were sitting on the ramp of our M113 ambulance i looked up and saw a shooting star. I told my driver check that shit out out he saw it too. I raced acro the sky leaving a bright green trail behind it. It stopped in midair just stopped a nice green glowing ball in the sky then it changed directions and flashed into the horizon. That was wierd made me really think about whether ufos are real or not!
Link Posted: 4/15/2013 6:31:10 AM EDT
[#21]
I lived on a COP with a Afghani graveyard in the middle and found a bunch of human skeletons/pieces everywhere, including when we would cut open hescos to expand and around our B-huts. Nothing weird happened. Just lived with a bunch of human bones everywhere.
Link Posted: 4/15/2013 7:12:34 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
All CG cutters - and I'd guess Navy ships as well - have a creepy-as-all-fuck space somewhere on the ship.  Something about that place will make the hair on the back of your neck stand up every time you have to make a round at 0200.

Friend of mine who was a nuke said that one of the Norfolk based CVN's (can't remember which one) reactor space was haunted. People saw a guy in Khakis and a little girl. It was unexplainable because there was no reported death of any officer/NCO in the reactor space area or related to it and obviously no death of any little girl.

Link Posted: 4/15/2013 7:23:18 AM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 4/15/2013 7:26:02 AM EDT
[#24]
The Georgia Chopper Crash Story:

Here is the story from witness David K.:

"In 1985 I was assigned as a Military Policeman to the US Army Garrison at Fort McPhearson, Ga.(Atlanta). We recieved a alert for my squad to go and secure the crash site of an AH-1 (Cobra) helicopter that belonged to the Texas Army National Guard that crashed in the Chatahoochee Forest, North of the Ranger Camp.

We were helicoptered into the ranger camp with our gear and we boarded a "Duece" (2 1/2 ton truck) for the ride to the crash site.

We made it to within about 1/4 mile of the site and had to carry our gear in.

We relieved the Rangers that were guarding the site (the crash occured about 12 hrs earlier) and set up camp. Our job was to keep people out of the area (curiosity seekers, news people, etc.) until the crash investigation team arrived and took over.

The crash site was small, about 100 feet by 30 feet because the Cobra crashed in one piece and then burned, so the whole area had that fuel smell and that "burned flesh" smell.

The accident investigation report was obtained by Larry Lesh, MSgt, USAF (Retired)

We set up camp adjacent to the wreckage about 50 feet away and posted our guard shifts. (I will not name complete names here because of 2 reasons, 1. some of the people involved refused to even talk about it afterward. 2. I do not know where they are today.)

My squad consisted of 5 men:

SGT Ken R. - Patrol Supervisor (NCOIC)
SPC Rodney T. - MP
SPC Shaun N. - MP
PFC Tim A. - MP
PFC David K. (Me)-MP

We finally got the camp set around 6:00 pm and the sun was going down. A large fire was built in our perimeter (which was pretty stupid in retrospect due to the large amount of fuel on the ground from the crash) and had set 4 hour shifts. Myself and SPC Shaun N were on the second shift (10:00 pm-2:00 am) we finally racked out about 8:00pm to get some shut-eye.

Around 10:00 pm I woke to the most god awful howl/scream you could imagine and when I looked at SGT Ken R, SPC Rodney T and PFC Tim A, you would have thought that they saw a ghost! All three had their 45's out (we were armed with [45's] with two 6 round magazines) cocked, locked and ready to rock!

All were visibly shaken. Myself and SPC Shaun N got up and asked what the hell was that, the only answer we got was another howl/scream that was about 50 feet to our east (from the direction of the wreckage) at which time SGT Ken R started dousing the fire from a 5 gallon water can and then told us to spread out online. He told us to keep our flashlights off until he told us and then told us to move out to the wreckage keeping online. His words were "If these locals wanna F*** with the Army then lets give em what they want."

At this point as we started to move out I could hear metal being pulled, thrown and moved around at the crash site and I kept looking for a light down there as I was moving. About 30 feet away SGT Ken R turned on his mag-lite and what I saw scared the S*** out of me: 3 creatures were there among the wreckage and they were not bears! the closest one (about 10 feet away) was holding a piece of metal from the heicopter and stood on 2 legs at least 7 1/2 feet tall, covered in hair except for the face, which looked like a chimp, the one behind him(15 feet away) was dragging part of the pilot's body from the wreckage, he (or she) was larger than the first one, however it was stooped while dragging the body. My estimate was over 8 feet tall with the same facial features. I only saw the 3rd one briefly 40 feet away as it was fleeing.

SPC Rodney T. was the first one to fire [after dropping the only flashlight] which sent everyone into "Dodge City" mode [basically shooting everywhere].

[Important detail from the interview: The flashlight was dropped before the first round was fired, so none of the rounds fired were aimed precisely at the animals. These soldiers were shooting in the dark. ]

After SGT Ken R. got everyone to stop shooting and got us calmed down (yea right!) we reloaded a fresh clip and circled the wagons so to speak. This all lasted about 20 min from start (when I heard the scream) to finish (when we stopped firing) however we stayed locked and loaded till sunrise and did not move from our 360 at the wreckage.

Around 6:00 it started getting light, so we moved out to see if we killed one of the creatures or could at least get a bloodtrail. We found no creature bodies or bloodtrails.

The crash invesigators arrived at 8:00 am and we said nothing to them (upon agreement) and we left and returned to Fort McPhearson.

When I think about that night I really get the "Willies" about what I saw and as I said earlier some of the guys with me absolutely refused to talk about it. I honestly think (looking back on this) that these creatures ment us no harm - they were only scavaging. I think they may have smelled the burned bodies in the same way you can smell someone bar-b-quing, how good it smells? They sensed a free meal - even though we were 50 feet away - and were willing to take the risk.

The howl/scream? one of the creatures calling the others to his find. I have only talked to 2 other people about this and because I am still in the military (though I am no longer an MP) I wish to remain unknown to the public - at least until I retire (in 4 years). As an investigator you are free to contact me any time and I will answer any of your questions that I can.

The rest of the story here:
http://www.bfro.net/GDB/show_report.asp?id=2393
Link Posted: 4/15/2013 7:27:00 AM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

In one of the companies I served in, one of the other sergeants was fucking his sister.

Slightly better than geese...
Link Posted: 4/15/2013 8:00:06 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Hardstand 21 aka the haunted hardstand at RAF Mildenhall.  Fairly well-known to the members stationed there and the Herk crews who pulled constant rotations out of Mildenhall for several decades.

In 1969 a crew chief had been having on-going marital issues with his wife, stateside.  On day he got drunk and caused some issues leading to arrest and confinement to quarters.  He sneaks out, onto the flightline, and cranks up a Herk and takes off for home.  Another Herk and several fighters were launched to try and contact him and get him back to land.  After multiple course changes he goes down in the English Channel.  Still some speculation he may have been shot down.  Some wreckage recovered.  His body was not found.

Over the years all sorts of strange shit has been reported at that hardstand.  Power units starting up by themselves, turning off by themselves, Herks with no power units and no one working on them with lights on, etc...  and the occasional sightings of a shadow person while working aircraft on that site.

I never made the Rotation to Moldyhole, but I got to hear all the Haunted Hardstand stories.
The story I enjoyed was how, after telling the creepy stories to a JEEP on a foggy graves shift, the Expiditer sent the JEEP to raise the MLG door.

They had stationed somebody in the MLG area to wait for the JEEP to pop open the 2 little panels & reach in to pull the pins. The Guy inside grabbed His arms & screamed bloody murder !

The JEEP was sent home early to change His shorts !

The Ol' Crew Chief
Link Posted: 4/15/2013 8:12:23 AM EDT
[#27]
`
Quoted:
1991 Fort Polk LA. Night recon mission. We had been humping for a couple hours and every once in a while we could hear something paralleling us.  We come into a small clearing and whatever was tracking us was now fanning out around the clearing just inside the woodline and trying to surround us.  We about face and unass the area....never knew what it was.

A few nights later we were tasked with reconning a new company area as the battalion was making a move. We roll over there in a 5tton to do the recon. We get there and set up security while the squad leader and ASL begin scoping out the area.  We were there all of 10 minutes when the SL & ASL come out of the woodline screaming lets get the fuck outa here!  We get back to our AO and the ASL said he saw movement close to him (people) and they were carrying weapons not GI type issue weapons. I pretty much deducted it was locals perhaps out screwing around on Polk but I don't know.

Polk was a spooky place at night.

Yeah Ft Polk is a fucking creepy place at night. I was in a mortar squad during JRTC back in July 1995. Dark as fuck at night and you can't see shit. I saw all sorts of different lights at night that damn sure weren't fireflys or flashlights from anyone in our company. One night we set up our aiming stakes with the tritium aiming lights and the next morning the stakes and lights were sitting up against the 60mm mortar tube. No one owned up to it. Could have been anyone in the company fucking with us, but thing is no  played pranks on our mortar section beofre JRTC, so I just said fuck it, who cares.

ETA: I had a fuck it who cares attitude because I was around 6 weeks from ETS!
Link Posted: 4/15/2013 8:14:18 AM EDT
[#28]
2006, Korea. Last day of KTC and all our tanks are lined up on the soccer field awaiting night fall (we could only road march at night there) so we could head home when my tanks NBC alarm goes off. The two more tank's alarms go off. I shut it off and wonder how the fuck they went off when the detectors weren't even attached.

Turns out NK detonated their first nuke around the same time.

Still weird because A) We'd be way too far for it to trigger the alarm, and B) We'd have to have the damn detector mounted.
Link Posted: 4/15/2013 9:02:16 AM EDT
[#29]
Bump for more stories!  Loving this thread.
Link Posted: 4/15/2013 9:02:42 AM EDT
[#30]
Have definitely been laying out in a hide site and heard small animals get attacked by predators. It is definitely terrifying to be laying perfectly still in the pitch black woods and just hear screams of death echo through the trees, especially when you've only got a 6 man team and you guys are miles away from anybody else.
Link Posted: 4/15/2013 9:05:35 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
There was also a story that one of our DCCs had a devil sticker on his TO case that was located in the cargo bay. Apparently during a red ball, a our pro super was up on the jet, saw it  and told him to get rid of the frowning devil sticker. The crew chief looked at the pro sup and said in a confused manner, "I don't have a frowning Devil sticker, its a smiling devil. Sure as shit, they went back up and it was smiling again. It was scrapped off shortly after but I did see the smiling sticker. It never frowned at me. I know, lame... lol but it was weird thinking about it and looking at it. Think 50s style tattoo with a pencil thin mustache if you need a mental image.

Hmm. The sticker sounds like the Luna Park Cafe sicker in West Seattle.

Luna Park
Link Posted: 4/15/2013 9:24:26 AM EDT
[#32]
I love these threads
Link Posted: 4/15/2013 9:36:25 AM EDT
[#33]
The creepiest place I have been is out on the Moors after dark.
With the Fog, rain, and wind, it is like a live action Horror movie.
Intellectually I know nothing will happen, but my Anglo-Saxon hind brain tells me nothing good can come from being alone on the Moors after dark.

Link Posted: 4/15/2013 9:36:39 AM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Hardstand 21 aka the haunted hardstand at RAF Mildenhall.  Fairly well-known to the members stationed there and the Herk crews who pulled constant rotations out of Mildenhall for several decades.

In 1969 a crew chief had been having on-going marital issues with his wife, stateside.  On day he got drunk and caused some issues leading to arrest and confinement to quarters.  He sneaks out, onto the flightline, and cranks up a Herk and takes off for home.  Another Herk and several fighters were launched to try and contact him and get him back to land.  After multiple course changes he goes down in the English Channel.  Still some speculation he may have been shot down.  Some wreckage recovered.  His body was not found.

Over the years all sorts of strange shit has been reported at that hardstand.  Power units starting up by themselves, turning off by themselves, Herks with no power units and no one working on them with lights on, etc...  and the occasional sightings of a shadow person while working aircraft on that site.

I never made the Rotation to Moldyhole, but I got to hear all the Haunted Hardstand stories.

The story I enjoyed was how, after telling the creepy stories to a JEEP on a foggy graves shift, the Expiditer sent the JEEP to raise the MLG door.

They had stationed somebody in the MLG area to wait for the JEEP to pop open the 2 little panels & reach in to pull the pins. The Guy inside grabbed His arms & screamed bloody murder !

The JEEP was sent home early to change His shorts !
The Ol' Crew Chief

LoL!

In all of the time I was stationed at and around MCAS New River, Verona Loop, etc. I've been out plenty at night time,  and I never ran across any stories like I've heard here.

The closest I could come up with was, one night after securing the night shift, I went for a run. Some bastard jumped out of a tree and fired a pistol.  I hauled ass outa there. I didn't see what he was aiming at, but I wasn't gonna stick around to see where his next round was going to land...

Link Posted: 4/15/2013 9:48:49 AM EDT
[#35]
We were doing some Land Nav up by NAS Whidbey Island. Their was 8 of us and we camped for the night. Had a fire going and set up 2 guards etc. Well about 0200 they woke us up and said their was actual movement. We figured it was the instructors jacking with us until the screams. We all just looked at each other like WTF?! It went on for about 10min then we said fuck this and called and said we had an emergency so they sent a helo after us. Shit kept happening until the helo showed then it stopped. Whoops, grunts, screams, rocks etc. Still don't know what it was but it scared the hell out of all of us plus from the movement and whoops their were more than 1 or 2. Never saw anything.
Link Posted: 4/15/2013 10:29:29 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
In one of the companies I served in, one of the other sergeants was fucking his sister.

In Korea we were sitting around drinking beer...talking about the "best sex" we ever had...

a buddy of mine says "well jenny was second best ..but the absolute best was my sister"

amid the horror stares and silence he quickly amends.. "step sister, step sister" and tells the story of his dad and step mom getting married and him shagging his step sister...
Link Posted: 4/15/2013 10:44:55 AM EDT
[#37]
We had a boot commit suicide on walking post.

Time came to change the guard and he wouldn't answer. The REACT was called out and they found him down an old road that wasn't used anymore. He'd taken off his chevrons, wrote "I'm sorry" in the log book, and shot himself in the head. By the time we found him he was covered (literally covered) in mosquitoes and flies.
Link Posted: 4/15/2013 3:19:20 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Hmm. The sticker sounds like the Luna Park Cafe sicker in West Seattle.

Luna Park

Close. It it was more like this but no cigar. It was creapy as hell when i was wandering around in the dark and happened upon it with my mini-mag light. Kept expecting it to blink or something.
Link Posted: 4/15/2013 3:23:09 PM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:

Okay, as bad brilliant as Marlon Brando's acting in that movie was, that isn't really what I had in mind.

Fixed it for you.

Link Posted: 4/15/2013 3:28:59 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
The creepiest place I have been is out on the Moors after dark.
With the Fog, rain, and wind, it is like a live action Horror movie.
Intellectually I know nothing will happen, but my Anglo-Saxon hind brain tells me nothing good can come from being alone on the Moors after dark.
http://i760.photobucket.com/albums/xx241/Rakkattack1bat/IMG-20120903-00577_zps6a397984.jpg

http://i760.photobucket.com/albums/xx241/Rakkattack1bat/IMG-20120903-00580_zpsfa1e8e9a.jpg

http://i760.photobucket.com/albums/xx241/Rakkattack1bat/IMGA04993_zps141e5259.jpg

The in-laws told me a story about the fog in the midlands one time.

They were driving to a shop party at our shop chiefs house in Ely. My FIL said he was driving and the MIL was BSing about how the fog was so thick, blah blah blah. They rounded a curve to cross the railway between Ely and Mildenhall and almost ran over a guy that was wearing a black suit and was walking an old timey bike, the kind with the big wheel up front and the little wheel in the back. They looked at each other like WTF, did we just really see that? A couple of miles later, they decide to turn around and see if someone was really walking a bike along a road on a foggy ass UK night in the middle of nowhere. Apparently the made it all the way back to base without passing anyone.You UK guys sure have a creepy fkn country but damn you have GREAT beer!
Link Posted: 4/15/2013 3:59:57 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
In Iraq at a failed ambush site, LSA something (Anderson?).  Dudes got f-ed up and never had a chance.  There was a rotten dead body smell since they were buried there.  I got a bad case of dysentery or whatever it was that was going around.  In my delirium I swore the brakes from the 7 tons were the wails of the dead.

ETA: Any room that had a hook in the ceiling was generally bad.

Ever do a raid in a butcher shop?  It looks like a goddamned torture chamber.
Link Posted: 4/15/2013 4:05:58 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
Quoted:

The observer, a Camp Lejeune Marine, was deer hunting from a tree stand. He stated that no other hunters used the area in 2010; it is private land and has received very little hunting pressure. The weather was clear; temperature was between 40-50 degrees, with no precipitation. Hunter remembers the terrain as mostly level, interspersed with some swampy areas and thick vegetation near a clear cut.

It was dusk and witness observed a deer acting in a curious and alert manner, possibly reacting to what hunter feels was a distraction in the woods. Hunter subsequently shot the whitetail and after thirty minutes, left his stand.

Witness estimates it was around 8:30 pm, dark, and quiet. He gathered his weapon, backpack and deer, and started traveling the estimated six hundred yards to his vehicle, his path illuminated by a small flashlight held in his teeth. Hunter looked up and was suddenly startled to see a reflection from a pair of solid white, very large and widely set eyes. He could see no physical features or body silhouette. He estimated that the eye height, considering the downward-sloping terrain, was 6 or more feet. The hunter drew his sidearm and discharged a round into the earth to clear the path. In response, the animal looked to the left briefly and then back. Witness took a knee; several seconds later, the animal moved noisily off to its left through an area thick with vines, small trees and brush.

The entire eye shine and departure event lasted 30-45 seconds. The hunter remembers feeling confronted by the animal, and as it stood 40-50 yards away, he was unable to reach his truck. He recalls the animal departure as a tremendous sound, like a ‘bull dozer moving through the woods”, snapping limbs and moving through thicket. Hunter later viewed the escape path with his flashlight and observed a 3’-4’ wide swath of displaced trees and brush. A musky, sewage-like smell was detected in the trail area.

I think that was found to be a really lost SFAS canidate.

I used to do land nav with a 1" chem in my teeth, wandered across a young soldier and his date at Kyle Lake...

Pretty sure all they saw was a green smile.
Link Posted: 4/15/2013 4:09:26 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
I'm pretty sure there was a bigfoot on Salerno. I know for a fact there was a big ass lizard in the citrus grove.

I've seen it.  One of my privates ran after and caught up to it when it was hauling ass down the dirt road nearest the radar before it crossed the ditch back into the grove.  I'm not sure what he thought he was going to do with it when he caught it.  

the lizard, that is.  not bigfoot.
Link Posted: 4/15/2013 4:19:40 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
In Iraq at a failed ambush site, LSA something (Anderson?).  Dudes got f-ed up and never had a chance.  There was a rotten dead body smell since they were buried there.  I got a bad case of dysentery or whatever it was that was going around.  In my delirium I swore the brakes from the 7 tons were the wails of the dead.

ETA: Any room that had a hook in the ceiling was generally bad.

First building we occupied in Afghanistan back in 2003. It was an abandoned school turned into Al-Qaeda dead camp. You could still see the blood in the walls and floors. We lived there for almost a year (we clean it up though)

Link Posted: 4/15/2013 4:20:05 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

"In 1985 I was assigned as a Military Policeman to the US Army Garrison at Fort McPhearson, Ga.(Atlanta). We recieved a alert for my squad to go and secure the crash site of an AH-1 (Cobra) helicopter that belonged to the Texas Army National Guard that crashed in the Chatahoochee Forest, North of the Ranger Camp.

We were helicoptered into the ranger camp with our gear and we boarded a "Duece" (2 1/2 ton truck) for the ride to the crash site.

We relieved the Rangers that were guarding the site (the crash occured about 12 hrs earlier) and set up camp. Our job was to keep people out of the area (curiosity seekers, news people, etc.) until the crash investigation team arrived and took over.

The crash site was small, about 100 feet by 30 feet because the Cobra crashed in one piece and then burned, so the whole area had that fuel smell and that "burned flesh" smell.

The accident investigation report was obtained by Larry Lesh, MSgt, USAF (Retired)

We set up camp adjacent to the wreckage about 50 feet away and posted our guard shifts. (I will not name complete names here because of 2 reasons, 1. some of the people involved refused to even talk about it afterward. 2. I do not know where they are today.)

SPC Rodney T. - MP
SPC Shaun N. - MP
PFC Tim A. - MP
PFC David K. (Me)-MP

We finally got the camp set around 6:00 pm and the sun was going down. A large fire was built in our perimeter (which was pretty stupid in retrospect due to the large amount of fuel on the ground from the crash) and had set 4 hour shifts. Myself and SPC Shaun N were on the second shift (10:00 pm-2:00 am) we finally racked out about 8:00pm to get some shut-eye.

Around 10:00 pm I woke to the most god awful howl/scream you could imagine and when I looked at SGT Ken R, SPC Rodney T and PFC Tim A, you would have thought that they saw a ghost! All three had their 45's out (we were armed with [45's] with two 6 round magazines) cocked, locked and ready to rock!

All were visibly shaken. Myself and SPC Shaun N got up and asked what the hell was that, the only answer we got was another howl/scream that was about 50 feet to our east (from the direction of the wreckage) at which time SGT Ken R started dousing the fire from a 5 gallon water can and then told us to spread out online. He told us to keep our flashlights off until he told us and then told us to move out to the wreckage keeping online. His words were "If these locals wanna F*** with the Army then lets give em what they want."

At this point as we started to move out I could hear metal being pulled, thrown and moved around at the crash site and I kept looking for a light down there as I was moving. About 30 feet away SGT Ken R turned on his mag-lite and what I saw scared the S*** out of me: 3 creatures were there among the wreckage and they were not bears! the closest one (about 10 feet away) was holding a piece of metal from the heicopter and stood on 2 legs at least 7 1/2 feet tall, covered in hair except for the face, which looked like a chimp, the one behind him(15 feet away) was dragging part of the pilot's body from the wreckage, he (or she) was larger than the first one, however it was stooped while dragging the body. My estimate was over 8 feet tall with the same facial features. I only saw the 3rd one briefly 40 feet away as it was fleeing.

SPC Rodney T. was the first one to fire [after dropping the only flashlight] which sent everyone into "Dodge City" mode [basically shooting everywhere].

[Important detail from the interview: The flashlight was dropped before the first round was fired, so none of the rounds fired were aimed precisely at the animals. These soldiers were shooting in the dark. ]

After SGT Ken R. got everyone to stop shooting and got us calmed down (yea right!) we reloaded a fresh clip and circled the wagons so to speak. This all lasted about 20 min from start (when I heard the scream) to finish (when we stopped firing) however we stayed locked and loaded till sunrise and did not move from our 360 at the wreckage.

Around 6:00 it started getting light, so we moved out to see if we killed one of the creatures or could at least get a bloodtrail. We found no creature bodies or bloodtrails.

The crash invesigators arrived at 8:00 am and we said nothing to them (upon agreement) and we left and returned to Fort McPhearson.

When I think about that night I really get the "Willies" about what I saw and as I said earlier some of the guys with me absolutely refused to talk about it. I honestly think (looking back on this) that these creatures ment us no harm - they were only scavaging. I think they may have smelled the burned bodies in the same way you can smell someone bar-b-quing, how good it smells? They sensed a free meal - even though we were 50 feet away - and were willing to take the risk.

The howl/scream? one of the creatures calling the others to his find. I have only talked to 2 other people about this and because I am still in the military (though I am no longer an MP) I wish to remain unknown to the public - at least until I retire (in 4 years). As an investigator you are free to contact me any time and I will answer any of your questions that I can.

Thats Ranger Mtn by my house.That story was debunked.
Link Posted: 4/15/2013 4:21:54 PM EDT
[#46]
Those woods have been rumored to have something strange in them for many years. I've heard lots of stories about creatures from people up that way...............spooky woods

I still wish I could remember all the stories my grandfather told me about the weird stuff he saw in the Pacific during his time in the USN during WWII

Quoted:

SPC Rodney T. - MP
SPC Shaun N. - MP
PFC Tim A. - MP
PFC David K. (Me)-MP

Link Posted: 4/15/2013 5:12:55 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

First Geese and Drawers

Now Incest....

I may be a 13'er, but I've learned to be fearful of you
Link Posted: 4/15/2013 5:22:29 PM EDT
[#48]
2002 Bahrain.  We are assigned to Sheik Isa Air Base, force protection of the tankers refueling strikers in A-stand and the American compound.  Fog rolls in one night.  (my squad had night shift).  Now, I have been in SoCal fog many times, including on the Grapevine,  but this was some Steven King shit.  Everyone, and I mean everyone on shift is spooked.  Our backs, literally, are to the Gulf, Iran is across the pond, and we cant see more than 5 feet.  This shit stayed for hours, and noone can see, and noone is moving.  I was part of a mobile fire team, manning the 60, and we find a hole, park the HMMWV and dont dare move for fear of running into or off of something with everyone agreeing that if some bad shit is gonna happen, tonight is the night.   Every single man post is doing radio checks at least every 30 minutes because they cant see shit and noone can see to come and do post checks and they want to know the rest of us are still out there.  

Just creepy as hell in "The Fog" kind of way.   First time I saw "The Mist" I flashed back to that night.
Link Posted: 4/15/2013 5:36:36 PM EDT
[#49]
Not that creepy, but my reserve unit used to send people to Subic several times a year.  Our gaining command MCPO (Sr Enlisted) was a Master Chief Corpsman, and he went from the to be the Master Chief at the Branch Clinic.  For about a very memorable week one trip we had our CO really spooked. Seemed that he had caught the "Dreaded Black Tongue" disease.  He was brushing his teeth one morning and , "Hunh??what the hell???"" his tongue and gums were turning black.  So he came in and saw the command corpsman, who gave him a tentative diagnosis of Black Tongue.  And sent him directly to the Master Chief, do not pass go, do not stop at the triage sick call line, but go directly to the Master Chief, by which time, the Master Chief had been alerted.  "Well, Commander, I think we caught it in time, we can probably save most of your teeth and your tongue shouldn't shrivel up too much."

Somebody wised him up after a week of some rather poor times in Subic.  My CO spent a lot of time on liberty and took a lot of Pepto-Bismol as a preventative.  Look on a bottle of pink pepto, yeah it can turn peoples tongues and gums dark.  No big deal, stop the bismuth, things go back to regular color. Teeth and tongues don't fall out. He was so pissed he stopped buying us beers.
Link Posted: 4/15/2013 5:37:18 PM EDT
[#50]
RTC Great Lakes at the old old pool (now gone) under the old phone center was haunted as shit.

I guess in the prior 60 years, many Rick's drown in the pool till it was closed.

Mid watch/ fire watch was always an adventure when you had to rove down there.

Page / 6
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top