Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 4
Link Posted: 10/4/2014 10:29:46 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I've been in the martial arts for a very long time.  Strength train like I'm getting paid to do it.  I feel very confident in my abilities.  

Tyson would beat the shit out of me.  I would go as far to say he would as of today (not in his prime). Its very simple, I wouldn't stand a chance at all.

A good boxer is hard to beat.  My instructor always told me "BJJ is good stuff, but run away from a good boxer"
View Quote

+1

I can take care of myself, but Tyson only has to connect once with your head.  I would take my chances with the baseball bat and try to take out a knee.  Then if I could keep him on the ground, I'd keep beating his head until he was knocked out.  The extra reach of a bat would be my only advantage.  He's fast though and would likely come in too quickly.  Game over.  Know when to run.
Link Posted: 10/4/2014 10:54:30 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

+1

I can take care of myself, but Tyson only has to connect once with your head.  I would take my chances with the baseball bat and try to take out a knee.  Then if I could keep him on the ground, I'd keep beating his head until he was knocked out.  The extra reach of a bat would be my only advantage.  He's fast though and would likely come in too quickly.  Game over.  Know when to run.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I've been in the martial arts for a very long time.  Strength train like I'm getting paid to do it.  I feel very confident in my abilities.  

Tyson would beat the shit out of me.  I would go as far to say he would as of today (not in his prime). Its very simple, I wouldn't stand a chance at all.

A good boxer is hard to beat.  My instructor always told me "BJJ is good stuff, but run away from a good boxer"

+1

Very true, my grandfather used to tell me about a friend of his in the Corp, large fellow, would pick up the back of a Jeep on a bet.  Got his ass handed to him in a bar fight against a Navy FLY weight boxer.  I don't know all the rules but I think fly is what, 145-155 pounds, in that range?

Link Posted: 10/4/2014 11:12:44 AM EDT
[#3]
If I had to fight him in the street, I'd just hit him with a 5000 lb Ford.

If that failed, I'd drive away. It's my only chance.
Link Posted: 10/4/2014 11:14:03 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

I'm not sure a .25 could get through that much dense muscle. I know a cop who responded to a bar shooting. Guy is sitting there with a big goose egg on his forehead where he'd been shot with a .25. Refused to leave with the ambulance until he finished his beer.

Unless you get a CNS shot which is highly unlikely with a real pistol let alone a .25, he's gonna have at least 7-10 seconds or so, most likely more than that. I had an acquaintance who took four center torso hits with a .38 and made it four houses down, banging on doors asking for help before he died.

The gun is the least effective weapon of those listed.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
I would have a decent chance with the .25acp, assuming I had time to actually aim. Tyson isn’t bulletproof. But I had better hit something really vital with the first couple shots.

Otherwise, I have no chance. Tyson is too powerful, too fast, too well trained, and way too tough for me to beat with either a baseball bat or a folding knife… Oh, he would be hurting if I had the knife, he would need stiches, he might even bleed out and die. But that would be after he shattered my jaw and shoved my folding knife deep up my ass.

I think you way over estimate what a .25 is capable of as well as how long it would take him to beat you to death after the gun is empty.

Five or six rounds into the heart, lungs and neck is likely going to be a fight stopper.

I'm not sure a .25 could get through that much dense muscle. I know a cop who responded to a bar shooting. Guy is sitting there with a big goose egg on his forehead where he'd been shot with a .25. Refused to leave with the ambulance until he finished his beer.

Unless you get a CNS shot which is highly unlikely with a real pistol let alone a .25, he's gonna have at least 7-10 seconds or so, most likely more than that. I had an acquaintance who took four center torso hits with a .38 and made it four houses down, banging on doors asking for help before he died.

The gun is the least effective weapon of those listed.

As I said, I have a decent chance with the .25acp, not a good chance. It’s true that he might not bleed out even from a hit to the heart before he could kill me with his hands. It’s true that the .25 might not even penetrate deeply enough to get to his heart. It’s also true that many people have had .25s bounce off of their skulls, usually as a result of glancing blows.

But it’s also true that many people have been stopped instantly by a well placed .25 hit. The round can penetrate a human skull and it can penetrate deeply enough to get to vital organs. Assuming the fight starts at 10 feet, with me already holding the pistol, I can probably get 4 or 5 shots off before he disarms me. I have a decent chance with the .25. Maybe it’s significantly less than 50/50, but I have a decent chance.

Now, here’s why the baseball bat and the knife are such a bad idea. A baseball bat is an impact weapon which relies on the strength and speed of the user to inflict damage. If I were fighting some clueless dumbass I wouldn’t have any problems with a bat as a weapon. Against Tyson? He’s fast and trained in fighting. Aim for his knees with that bat and his knees aren’t going to be there when your swing connects. Aim for his head and his head isn’t going to be there. He will easily see the blow coming and avoid it, probably by getting in close where the bat is ineffective. Then he will shatter your jaw and the mortician will have the unenviable task of removing the baseball bat from your ass before the funeral.

The knife is a much better choice than the bat, but it has the same problems. I used to do some Renaissance fencing which means I fought against people with daggers and swords. I’m just some fat desk jockey, not a trained athlete. Still, after a few months of training I found myself frequently catching daggers and rapiers by the flat of the blade when someone stabbed at me. Against Tyson? He’s going to grab my knife arm with one hand and break it. Maybe I cut him a bit, but that just pisses him off.

Maybe you are stronger, faster, and better trained than I am. You probably are. But for me the best weapon on that list would be the .25.

Actually, the best weapon would be to be unarmed, then drop to the ground, and curl up in the fetal position. Odds are you would survive without any serious injury. He would probably just insult you some and walk off. I mean, the guy has a reputation for having a temper, not being too smart, and having self control issues. But he isn’t some kind of psycho who beats defenseless people to death.
Link Posted: 10/4/2014 11:14:25 AM EDT
[#5]
I'm going to need a bigger gun to take on Tyson. I don't want that guy getting close enough to get one punch in. Because lets face it if he gets a punch in I'm dead, ha
Link Posted: 10/4/2014 11:29:10 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

View Quote

Should train as a boxer instead of a bjjer.  

Of the options listed I would get killed but,  My carry guns are 9mm.  I would at least stand a chance with that.
Link Posted: 10/4/2014 12:21:14 PM EDT
[#7]
I think he'd eat me for dinner, were he hungry enough.

lol at all the badasses that showed up, though.
Link Posted: 10/4/2014 1:38:38 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Did that say is he *allowed* to bite your ears prior to the edit?  Fuck yes he'd bite your ears off!

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Tyson, in his prime, in the street, no gloves, no ref.  You can have one of the following: baseball bat,
Tactical folding knife
.25 lorcin
Could you do it?  

He'd probably bite my ears off.

Did that say is he *allowed* to bite your ears prior to the edit?  Fuck yes he'd bite your ears off!

No.  I figured even if he wasn't allowed to he'd still do it.
Link Posted: 10/4/2014 1:45:45 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
7th Degree Black Belt.
240 lbs
6'3"
Trained since I was 6 1/2, now 42.
What I know now and I'm in my prime of 25 + or -.
If you give me the knife....he's ded.
View Quote

lol all i can picture is Danny McBride AKA Kenny Powers from his first movie "The Foot Fist Way"  trying to take on Tyson....
Link Posted: 10/4/2014 1:48:53 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
7th Degree Black Belt.
240 lbs
6'3"
View Quote

lol at this guy....
Link Posted: 10/4/2014 1:51:27 PM EDT
[#11]
I'd take the .25.  He's not going to know what caliber it is, and if he does he probably still won't want to get shot.  So I'd make him get on the ground and stomp his head while I held the gun on him.  If that didn't work, I'd shoot him as many time as possible and then try to get ahold of his balls and squeeze them until they popped.  Of none of that stopped him then I'd hope he was injured enough for me to outrun, and if I couldn't then I'd probably die.

If the gun misfired or jammed, I'd tell him it was a joke for a reality show and point at a tree and tell him there is a hidden camera in it.  We'd have a good laugh and I would reflect on how close I came to dying,

Link Posted: 10/4/2014 1:52:10 PM EDT
[#12]
I'd be dead in pretty short order.
Link Posted: 10/4/2014 1:59:50 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
7th Degree Black Belt.
240 lbs
6'3"
View Quote

No.

Tyson is an animal. You'd make him bleed but he would realize until he was done pummeling you.
Link Posted: 10/4/2014 2:00:31 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
I'd be dead in pretty short order.
View Quote

Don't worry bud.  So would I, and 99% of the population.  (Including Arfcom but don't tell anyone)

The man was an animal in his prime.  I would venture to say that hasnt changed.
Link Posted: 10/4/2014 2:01:09 PM EDT
[#15]
The knife is by far the best option in the OP if you had to fight him. Assuming its properly sharpened and the user knows how to use a knife. Some experiance skinning and deboning game wouold be usefull as well.
Link Posted: 10/4/2014 2:08:50 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 10/4/2014 2:14:03 PM EDT
[#17]
Is this street fight happening on earth, or another planet? What gravitational force am I dealing with here?
Link Posted: 10/4/2014 2:15:16 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
I'll take the Lorcin.  Hopefully I can get a few off before it jams and hits to the thighs and groin might slow him down enough that when I bolt I can get away.

ETA: This Lorcin seem to be fine

http://youtu.be/RUhnXAOeyNc

View Quote

This. And just hope he doesn't eat me before he drops
Link Posted: 10/4/2014 2:17:52 PM EDT
[#19]
I'd just put hot sauce on my ears...
Link Posted: 10/4/2014 2:18:18 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
Five or six rounds into the heart, lungs and neck is likely going to be a fight stopper.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I would have a decent chance with the .25acp, assuming I had time to actually aim. Tyson isn’t bulletproof. But I had better hit something really vital with the first couple shots.

Otherwise, I have no chance. Tyson is too powerful, too fast, too well trained, and way too tough for me to beat with either a baseball bat or a folding knife… Oh, he would be hurting if I had the knife, he would need stiches, he might even bleed out and die. But that would be after he shattered my jaw and shoved my folding knife deep up my ass.

I think you way over estimate what a .25 is capable of as well as how long it would take him to beat you to death after the gun is empty.

No it's not.

Link Posted: 10/4/2014 2:18:27 PM EDT
[#21]
With my luck the Lorcin would misfire, so my only hope is the bat, if I make contact on the first swing
I win, if I miss I'm dead.
Link Posted: 10/4/2014 2:20:32 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:
Like Ridgerunner9876 points out, you're overestimating the penetration capabilities of .25ACP.  In fact, you would be better off with .22LR as it penetrates significantly better.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

snip

Like Ridgerunner9876 points out, you're overestimating the penetration capabilities of .25ACP.  In fact, you would be better off with .22LR as it penetrates significantly better.

the caliber doesn't matter... .25, 9mm...  guy like tyson?  CNS hit or he's going to have enough steam to kill you even dead on his feet.

Link Posted: 10/4/2014 2:21:27 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
The knife is by far the best option in the OP if you had to fight him. Assuming its properly sharpened and the user knows how to use a knife. Some experiance skinning and deboning game wouold be usefull as well.
View Quote

Oh come on, how would this be useful?
Link Posted: 10/4/2014 2:26:35 PM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 10/4/2014 2:40:32 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
the caliber doesn't matter... .25, 9mm...  guy like tyson?  CNS hit or he's going to have enough steam to kill you even dead on his feet.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
snip

Our boy Mike isn't armed in this scenario; all you need is a mobility kill.  A couple or three solid large caliber hits to the pelvis, put him down, finish him off at your leisure?

Link Posted: 10/4/2014 2:45:29 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

if you can remove an elk shoulder with a small knife you can cripple a man with a knife just as easy. a novice uses a knife to stab. A trained knifer severs muscles, tendons and connective tissue.

ETA: gutting big game is awkward the first time you do it. It gets faster and easier the more you do it.
Link Posted: 10/4/2014 2:51:07 PM EDT
[#27]
I would try to get him to use his words, and hug it out.

A bat? lol good luck unless you have about 15' of distance
A knife? LOL after he breaks your arm and uses your own hand to stick you with it, go with the hugs.
A .25 ACP? Maybe but only cause he will think skeeters are biting him and he gets distracted enough for you to hit him with the bat.
Link Posted: 10/4/2014 2:53:38 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

if you can remove an elk shoulder with a small knife you can cripple a man with a knife just as easy. a novice uses a knife to stab. A trained knifer severs muscles, tendons and connective tissue.

ETA: gutting big game is awkward the first time you do it. It gets faster and easier the more you do it.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Try removing the shoulder of an Elk with your small knife before killing it...

ETA: He'd kill me dead dead.  Any day, any setting, any of those weapons.   Me hidden in a tree stand, and Tyson drinking from a stream 15 yds out, I'd get an arrow in him.  Then he'd climb the tree and kill me.
Link Posted: 10/4/2014 2:55:17 PM EDT
[#29]
me=dead
even with all 3...dead...super dead
Link Posted: 10/4/2014 2:56:25 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'm not claiming anyone could. I'm simply stating that years of experiance using a knife cutting flesh, and the resulting understanding of anatomy offers some advantage over someone who has never done so.
Link Posted: 10/4/2014 2:58:54 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

Our boy Mike isn't armed in this scenario; all you need is a mobility kill.  A couple or three solid large caliber hits to the pelvis, put him down, finish him off at your leisure?

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

snip

Guns aren't magic ray guns.  Just because you shoot a person in a certain location doesn't mean it's going to have the desired effect.

Link Posted: 10/4/2014 2:58:55 PM EDT
[#32]
Why the fuck did I decide to only carry a .25 auto? That said, even if I had a .45 I'm pretty sure he would still mop the floor with me.
Link Posted: 10/4/2014 3:01:04 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Tyson, in his prime, in the street, no gloves, no ref.  You can have one of the following: baseball bat,
Tactical folding knife
.25 lorcin
Could you do it?  
View Quote

Now, why would I want to take on Mike Tyson?

OP, you need to go to the safe, pick a rifle and go clean it, instead of posting stupid shit here.
Link Posted: 10/4/2014 3:02:13 PM EDT
[#34]
Jeff Cooper was quoted as saying if he had to pick between a small pocket sized handgun and a hatchet he would use a hatchet.
Link Posted: 10/4/2014 3:02:58 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
snip

It can go either way.

But, a man that large, strong, muscled, and with the right attitude and adrenalin can be EXTREMELY difficult to stop. Look at Platte and Maddox.

There's another shooting in Mississippi, iirc, where one guy took 6 .44mags to the chest and beat the shooter to death with a pool cue before expiring.

Then, again, there are big, strong, mean men who get shot once with a sub caliber and go "Oh Lawdy. I'm shot. I'm dyin'. The lights are gettin' dim"
Link Posted: 10/4/2014 3:03:14 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Guns aren't magic ray guns.  Just because you shoot a person in a certain location doesn't mean it's going to have the desired effect.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
snip

Yes, thank you, I knew that.
Link Posted: 10/4/2014 3:04:05 PM EDT
[#37]
Link Posted: 10/4/2014 3:06:48 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Ok, but that elk isn't repeatedly punching you in the face.... do you know who Mike Tyson is/was?
Link Posted: 10/4/2014 3:12:05 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

Ok, but that elk isn't repeatedly punching you in the face.... do you know who Mike Tyson is/was?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Read what I wrote. Again.

I never said the knifer would win or even survive. I said that the knife is the best of the options given. Especially if the knifer has training and experiance with a knife. The knife never runs out of ammo. Cutting wounds bleed more than the crushing wounds caused by bullets. The knife can sever tissue making hands, arms, legs useless sacks of meat and bone.

If chosing between a .25, a bat or a knife against a striker I'd pick the knife everytime and hope i can close the distance inside of his striking range and stay there.
Link Posted: 10/4/2014 3:12:17 PM EDT
[#40]
Link Posted: 10/4/2014 3:12:26 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

It can go either way.

But, a man that large, strong, muscled, and with the right attitude and adrenalin can be EXTREMELY difficult to stop. Look at Platte and Maddox.

There's another shooting in Mississippi, iirc, where one guy took 6 .44mags to the chest and beat the shooter to death with a pool cue before expiring.

Then, again, there are big, strong, mean men who get shot once with a sub caliber and go "Oh Lawdy. I'm shot. I'm dyin'. The lights are gettin' dim"
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
snip

It can go either way.

Life is uncertain; physics is not.  If your pelvis is in pieces, your mobility is going to be compromised.   I'm assuming that's why I've seen others here say that if they were being charged by a knife wielding attacker, they would go for the pelvis rather the more difficult CNS shot.  
Link Posted: 10/4/2014 3:12:39 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
Tactical folding knife
.25 lorcin
Could you do it?  
View Quote

Sure, if it was a spelling bee or a math quiz.

You know what... I amend my answer.  I'll need at least a 44 Mag lever gun if I get into a spelling bee with him.
That motherfucker would eventually get mad when he mis-spelled something.
Link Posted: 10/4/2014 3:16:24 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
Life is uncertain; physics is not.  If your pelvis is in pieces, your mobility is going to be compromised.   I'm assuming that's why I've seen others here say that if they were being charged by a knife wielding attacker, they would go for the pelvis rather the more difficult CNS shot.  
View Quote

Handgun bullets do not usually break the pelvic girdle. The primary mechanism of stoppages from pervic hit has been determined to be the nerves (pain) and veins/arteries (blood loss) not the broken bones that were expected when pevic shots were initially popularized.
Link Posted: 10/4/2014 3:28:26 PM EDT
[#44]
Guys like Tyson could have no training or fighting experience and be very dangerous.

Fighters at the level, skill aside, have a tenacity that is just not in the norm.

Link Posted: 10/4/2014 3:29:34 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

"Which martial art should you claim to have mastered?"
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
7th degree BB in WHAT?????

"Which martial art should you claim to have mastered?"

Marital Art. Been married 7 times.
Link Posted: 10/4/2014 3:31:05 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
View Quote

Physics doesn't really cover physiology and terminal ballistics entirely.

Handgun rounds tend to just punch holes him large bones like the pelvis. Not like rifle rounds where it explodes and splinters it. So, really what you're shooting for is to compromise the hip joint.

It's not a bad strategy, but not something to assume, either. The pelvis is less mobile and therefore easier to hit than the head. Shoot for the point where the thigh joins the torso. The center of the pelvis is largely a void as far as bone goes.

Although the scenario is silly, it sheds light on a common training short coming. Combining movement, shooting, and hand to hand when an attacker is arm's length away is a wise thing to train on precisely because so many gunfights do occur at that range.
Link Posted: 10/4/2014 3:35:57 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

Handgun bullets do not usually break the pelvic girdle. The primary mechanism of stoppages from pervic hit has been determined to be the nerves (pain) and veins/arteries (blood loss) not the broken bones that were expected when pevic shots were initially popularized.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

OK, thank you, I learned something today.   The fact remains that I recall seeing folks here and elsewhere opine that, confronted by an attacker closing with a contact weapon, they would go for the pelvis rather than the CNS.  Should I see this again, I will refer them to you and go do the dishes while y'all hash it out.
Link Posted: 10/4/2014 3:41:24 PM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:

OK, thank you, I learned something today.   The fact remains that I recall seeing folks here and elsewhere opine that, confronted by an attacker closing with a contact weapon, they would go for the pelvis rather than the CNS.  Should I see this again, I will refer them to you and go do the dishes while y'all hash it out.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Most* folks here have never shot anyone, or seen anyone get shot and opine lots of things.  CNS shots are the fastest, surest way to stop a aggressor.  
*It's a big site though, so even the minority that have is still a sizable number

Link Posted: 10/4/2014 3:49:05 PM EDT
[#49]
I took a couple of karate classes at the Y when I was a kid.  

I'm not scared.
Link Posted: 10/4/2014 3:50:15 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
View Quote

Not sure why you gotta get snippy when everyone is just having a conversation on techniques on how to best employ a handgun.

Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top