Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 5
Link Posted: 6/23/2017 5:34:48 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Every thing you said is spot on .... it will also be largely ignored or derided as hippy crap.

I've discovered that there are precious few students of film on this site. Most people are content to watch people in uniform blow shit up. Anything deeper than that and I think they get headaches, or something.
View Quote

Oh sorry we're not special enough to see the hidden meanings within meanings and beautiful cinematography in the post apocalyptic action movie.
Link Posted: 6/23/2017 5:35:34 PM EDT
[#2]
It's a good movie when watching it in the theater, but otherwise it's meh.
Link Posted: 6/23/2017 5:36:56 PM EDT
[#3]
Fun movie.
Link Posted: 6/23/2017 5:37:01 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Better than The Hateful Eight
View Quote
All I got out of the hateful eight was black guys getting blowjobs from white guys.
nasty ass homo movie.
Link Posted: 6/23/2017 5:37:48 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
It's one of those few movies that I've studied end-to-end.
View Quote
that's obvious.

it's a fun action romp and i enjoy it, but as much as i bicker with swingset, his core argument is not wrong--it's not a great piece of cinema.  the script is tepid on both the dialogue level and the storytelling level, the worldbuilding is uninspired, and there are no new ideas.  i mean, how cliche can you get?

Attachment Attached File

i own the movie--i enjoyed it that much.  and it's definitely better than, say, pacific rim.  but inspired fimmaking it is not.
Link Posted: 6/23/2017 5:39:05 PM EDT
[#6]
We get that people in GD hate female heroes. We get it.
Link Posted: 6/23/2017 5:40:07 PM EDT
[#7]
I enjoyed it.
Link Posted: 6/23/2017 5:40:50 PM EDT
[#8]
I saw it in the theater and didn't like it. Watched it at home a few months later and damn, it is really great. I keep a copy on my Tivo.
Link Posted: 6/23/2017 5:42:22 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
We get that people in GD hate female heroes. We get it.
View Quote
We also get that there are those so influenced by PC notions that any movie with a nominal female "hero" will like it because it's enlightened to do so.
Link Posted: 6/23/2017 5:44:14 PM EDT
[#10]
Mad Max trailer

Mad Max 2 The Road Warrior
Mad Max 2 - Theatrical Trailer

Mad Max Beyond Thunder Dome

Mad Max Beyond Thunderdome (1985) Official Trailer - Mel Gibson Post-Apocalypse Movie HD

Mad Max Fury Road

Mad Max: Fury Road - Official Main Trailer [HD]

NEW

Mad Max The Wasteland

Link Posted: 6/23/2017 5:44:17 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Every thing you said is spot on .... it will also be largely ignored or derided as hippy crap.

I've discovered that there are precious few students of film on this site. Most people are content to watch people in uniform blow shit up. Anything deeper than that and I think they get headaches, or something.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
It's probably in my top 5 favorite movies of all time.  If it's not your thing, that's fine.  But if you actually pay attention and watch it repeatedly, you'll see that it is immaculately directed and filmed.  Every scene and line is meant to be there, and serves a purpose.  Important things are introduced before they are used again.  The action scenes are staged wonderfully, and you can actually tell what is going on and what caused what to happen.  The attention to detail is amazing.  Every character, even the small ones, have their own story, attitude, and personality.  It's not for everyone, but I loved it.  It's one of those few movies that I've studied end-to-end.

Whatever.

Lets hear a list from you of important films, then we will see who is a film student, and who is admiring clothes that arent there.
Link Posted: 6/23/2017 5:44:40 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
I think 90% of modern movies are total crap.

But I thought Fury Road was fantastic. Exactly what a summer blockbuster should be.

On the big screen is how it was meant to be watched.
View Quote
Agree 100%

I really don't see how arfcommers have such a disdain for the flick
Link Posted: 6/23/2017 5:47:22 PM EDT
[#13]
I am one of the Vuvalini. Of the Many Mothers. My Initiate Mother was K.T. Concannon. I am the daughter of Mary Jabassa. My clan was Swaddle Dog.
View Quote
What the fuck is a Swaddle dog?
Link Posted: 6/23/2017 5:47:23 PM EDT
[#14]
The movie critics here make me laugh.  Such venom.  Much hatred.  

Link Posted: 6/23/2017 5:52:05 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Oh sorry we're not special enough to see the hidden meanings within meanings and beautiful cinematography in the post apocalyptic action movie.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

disregard
Link Posted: 6/23/2017 5:54:44 PM EDT
[#16]
green donkey's...tey sucked it.
Link Posted: 6/23/2017 6:04:50 PM EDT
[#17]
It was way more feminist than Wonder Woman.
Link Posted: 6/23/2017 6:11:14 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

We also get that there are those so influenced by PC notions that any movie with a nominal female "hero" will like it because it's enlightened to do so.
View Quote
You're like a fountain of he-man bullshit lately! I highly doubt that anyone here is particularly fond of cliche hollyweird, female action heros who seem to be able to beat the guys in brains AND brawn.
Link Posted: 6/23/2017 6:14:43 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

I'm not saying it was terrible, just that people who liked it are blind and retarded, and fail at life. That's all.

Maybe it's the silver spray paint I've been huffing?
View Quote
Link Posted: 6/23/2017 6:16:23 PM EDT
[#20]
I loved it, one of my favorites.
Link Posted: 6/23/2017 6:17:32 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Better than The Hateful Eight
View Quote
Watching my dog shit is better than the hateful eight... fury road too...
Link Posted: 6/23/2017 6:18:07 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
You're like a fountain of he-man bullshit lately! I highly doubt that anyone here is particularly fond of cliche hollyweird, female action heros who seem to be able to beat the guys in brains AND brawn.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

So you swung your purse because youre butt hurt, but then agreed with me.
Whatever.  Have a great weekend.
Link Posted: 6/23/2017 6:21:57 PM EDT
[#23]
I went into it expecting a post apocalyptic movie with cars exploding and a bunch of weird shit. I was not disappointed. It was a fun movie. Was it Citizen Kane? No. But it was a good time, and fun for a rewatch every so often.

Not sure where the hate comes from. Were people expecting it to be a cinematic masterpiece to define a genre? Lol.
Link Posted: 6/23/2017 6:22:20 PM EDT
[#24]
I liked it but didn't think it was excellent
Link Posted: 6/23/2017 6:24:22 PM EDT
[#25]

I think the people critical of this movie have NEVER seen a Mad Max movie. Or they are blinded by nostalgia and don't remember how SLOW paced Mad Max movies are, and how little you actually see of Max in those films.

Max is a vessel by which we explore and experience the universe of the post-apocalyptic Mad Max films. The movies are about the place, not the person.
Link Posted: 6/23/2017 6:28:32 PM EDT
[#26]
Max gets his ass kicked the whole movie and its a girl empowerment piece of shit agenda axe grindathon for the millennial boot sniffers out there who believe everyone is equal horseshit.

Bring back MEL GIBSON or GTFO, I’m off to watch thunderdome!
Link Posted: 6/23/2017 6:28:51 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
I went into it expecting a post apocalyptic movie with cars exploding and a bunch of weird shit. I was not disappointed. It was a fun movie. Was it Citizen Kane? No. But it was a good time, and fun for a rewatch every so often.

Not sure where the hate comes from. Were people expecting it to be a cinematic masterpiece to define a genre? Lol.
View Quote

I went to see an action flick... that's all. But I'll be damned if it wasn't exactly that! I don't understand people who can't tell exactly what they're going to be seeing when the trailers contain just about every big scene in movies anymore. Its like they're expecting some magic, deep meaning to creep out from between the scenes.
Link Posted: 6/23/2017 6:31:23 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

So you swung your purse because youre butt hurt, but then agreed with me.
Whatever.  Have a great weekend.
View Quote
No butt hurt here. Just don't understand the hate for a movie that was EXACTLY what it was supposed to be.

You're going to get that post count up there if you keep crawling out from under your rock as much as you have been lately.
Link Posted: 6/23/2017 6:34:09 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Max gets his ass kicked the whole movie and its a girl empowerment piece of shit agenda axe grindathon for the millennial boot sniffers out there who believe everyone is equal horseshit.

Bring back MEL GIBSON or GTFO, I’m off to watch thunderdome!
View Quote
Except for Charlize every single woman in the movie was either 1. getting milked or 2. pregnant and barefoot

And you must have missed a bunch of the asskicking Max did.
Link Posted: 6/23/2017 6:34:16 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Max is a vessel by which we explore and experience the universe of the post-apocalyptic Mad Max films. The movies are about the place, not the person.
View Quote
unfortunately, neither the person nor the place were very interesting, so the only thing left was the action and visuals.  fortunately, they were strong enough to carry the thing.

better writing would have made all the difference.
Link Posted: 6/23/2017 6:35:31 PM EDT
[#31]
Visuals editing/pacing fucking beautiful. It was entertaining despite the horrible plot and overt feminism. Of course there are several absurdities which require a lot of willing suspension of disbelief but that's the case with any post apocalyptic fiction and frankly most other genres.

I'd rate it mediocre.
Link Posted: 6/23/2017 6:36:20 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Am I the only one who thought this movie was complete and utter s&*(?

Sorry if I missed the thread about this.
View Quote

I could barely watch it. The first two didnt rock because of just massive affects and violence. They had style. A feral child, that cant speak, wears fur and balls out attacks and kills adults,  all on his lonesome just for the heck if it, with a metal boomerang? Simple but kick ass chase scenes with lines that you would gladly have on your tombstone. "I'm the night rider baby! A fuel injected suicide machine!....." The $ucked up realities that come with high tensile steel and hacksaws.

The last one suffers from the same problem most movies and ALL sequels have derailed to, no creative direction just MORE. Louder noises. More bad people. More violence. 7 of 10 of female cast model hot and somehow the plot needs them to be naked twice, etc
Link Posted: 6/23/2017 6:36:23 PM EDT
[#33]
I watched it as a stand alone movie.I really liked it.
Link Posted: 6/23/2017 6:36:31 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

I went to see an action flick... that's all. But I'll be damned if it wasn't exactly that! I don't understand people who can't tell exactly what they're going to be seeing when the trailers contain just about every big scene in movies anymore. Its like they're expecting some magic, deep meaning to creep out from between the scenes.
View Quote
I was in an upper division Greek History class when 300 came out. Everyone was bitching about it to no end in class. The prof looked and me and said RoG, what did you think? I said "well, if you went into it expecting a documentary it was terrible, but if you went expecting a live action comic book it was pretty entertaining" he nodded his head, and the class looked at me as if this was the most difficult concept in the world to grasp.

Manage expectations...
Link Posted: 6/23/2017 6:38:17 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

Except for Charlize every single woman in the movie was either 1. getting milked or 2. pregnant and barefoot

View Quote
All that just drives the feminine empowerment. Women are oppressed blah blah look at our awesome new hero queen!

Anyone could go from cow to queen
Link Posted: 6/23/2017 6:38:50 PM EDT
[#36]
I thought it was awesome. It deserved all of the accolades as well it should have won best picture instead of whatever movie it was that I had literally never heard of.
Link Posted: 6/23/2017 6:39:41 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
All that just drives the feminine empowerment. Women are oppressed blah blah look at our awesome new hero queen!
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

so they can't be heroes, or "not heroes"

Hard to make some people happy I guess.
Link Posted: 6/23/2017 6:39:56 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

unfortunately, neither the person nor the place were very interesting, so the only thing left was the action and visuals.  fortunately, they were strong enough to carry the thing.

better writing would have made all the difference.  
View Quote
I call BS on that. If all it takes is action and explosions to overcome terrible story telling. Then why does all the Transformer & other Michael Bay movies get horrible ratings? They got action in SPADES.

Mad Max got rave reviews because IT DID have great writing. There is alot of interplay with what's going on through action that is apart of the story. If Fury Road had a shitty story and pacing, it would not have got over 90% on RT and almost 90% Audience Score.

Fury Road is the best one of the whole series. Accept it! 
Link Posted: 6/23/2017 6:44:10 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

I was in an upper division Greek History class when 300 came out. Everyone was bitching about it to no end in class. The prof looked and me and said RoG, what did you think? I said "well, if you went into it expecting a documentary it was terrible, but if you went expecting a live action comic book it was pretty entertaining" he nodded his head, and the class looked at me as if this was the most difficult concept in the world to grasp.

Manage expectations...
View Quote
Evidently GD has trouble with that as well. Which would explain all of the nuclear butt-hurt.
Link Posted: 6/23/2017 6:44:35 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

Fury Road is the best one of the whole series. Accept it! 
View Quote
What's crazy is that the version in black and white with no dialogue is just as good. Any movie that can tell a story like that is amazing.
Link Posted: 6/23/2017 6:45:28 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
Some amazing visuals, sure. But I don't think I could tell you what the movie was about...

And if gas is so scarce, why do they travel around in massive convoys of 4-story-tall battle wagons?
View Quote
Do you remember any references to " Gas Town"? They produce the gas needed. You may also remember "Bullet Farm". I'm sure you can tell what they manufacture. Watch it again, it may make more sense. I enjoyed it more the second time I watched it.

I personally thought it was a good movie. Maybe a little over hyped but I recommend watching it.
Link Posted: 6/23/2017 6:46:07 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

NEW

Mad Max The Wasteland

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F1gw1h99sD4
View Quote
At 101 that's the same house from the Book of Eli
Link Posted: 6/23/2017 6:50:08 PM EDT
[#43]
The only movie ever I couldn't get through.

It was worse than an Adam Sandler movie, and that's beyond bad.
Link Posted: 6/23/2017 7:07:58 PM EDT
[#44]
Stupid
Link Posted: 6/23/2017 7:21:39 PM EDT
[#45]
I really need to rewatch it. When I saw it I was expecting something completely different and was kind of blown away by it. After it was over I actually paused and asked myself if I had just unexpectedly watched a REALLY good movie or if my extremely low expectations made it come off better than it was.

I love all of the feminism bullshit posts. You mean to tell me you can suspend disbelief and watch John Wick shoot 87 people a minute but you can't watch a woman kick a little ass? You are legitimizing those loony moonbats.
Link Posted: 6/23/2017 7:26:42 PM EDT
[#46]
I loved Fury Road, so I naturally tried to go And watch the original Mad Max.  Good God it was so boring I could hardly finish it.  Radically different from The Road Warrior, which is awesome.  For those saying FR had no plot, what exactly was the plot of Mad Max?  I can barely remember anything more than a simple revenge plot/protect the family (he failed).
Link Posted: 6/23/2017 7:27:15 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I appreciate your apology. It doesn't make the situation better but, at least you're contrite.
Link Posted: 6/23/2017 7:30:00 PM EDT
[#48]
Total crap just like the SKS rifle they used
Link Posted: 6/23/2017 7:33:06 PM EDT
[#49]
I watched it on the flight from JFK to Dublin. It was an entertaining way to pass the time and I enjoyed it. What more do I need from an action movie?
Link Posted: 6/23/2017 7:33:14 PM EDT
[#50]
I'm re watching as I type this,  it's still awful.  30 minutes in.

I will watch the whole movie this time though.
Page / 5
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top