Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 22
Link Posted: 5/18/2016 2:00:17 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

I remember killing and capturing all of Ahmad Shah's friends. Luttrell was full of shit from the get go...and anyone who contradicted the hero worship was shot down and insulted immediately.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I wasn't there.  I dare say, neither was anybody on this thread.  The truth is probably out there.  I, for one, have no right to pass judgement either way.  

Given the GD track record, neither do most here.

I remember killing and capturing all of Ahmad Shah's friends. Luttrell was full of shit from the get go...and anyone who contradicted the hero worship was shot down and insulted immediately.

Just in case it was glossed over somehow.
Link Posted: 5/18/2016 2:14:17 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
When you compound that with the fact that none of those new guys have any kind of dismounted light infantry backgrounds, you can see how the organization suffers at all levels.

There is no field or operational discipline bred into the sailor from Day 1 as you would have in a basic Infantry Unit in the Army or Marines.

Noise discipline?

Logical patrolling techniques?

Planning?

Reconnaissance?

Control and accountability of personnel?

Combat leader experience?  The other major segment of that SEAL Platoon is guys who have done at least one or two Platoon work-ups, a deployment that usually doesn't involve contact, and have gone from cocky youngster with no experience, to even cockier 21-25yr-old with limited experience that reinforces really bad TTPs in many ways.

That's how a junior officer can get away with a colossal abortion criteria plan like Murphy's was, and nobody says, "Sir.  You want to insert within earshot of the objective, with only 4 guys?"

Instead, they say, "Hoo yah!" and start to suit up.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Team six is the SMU that draws from the best of the teams, who are the maritime force. And there are things that draw from team six.

What you are talking about is done already where it matters, the problem is SOCOM pretending that a junior seal team is equal to a junior ODA out in the sticks, and then showering everyone with medals and praise when it goes sideways so that they don't have to admit there is a problem.

And this. An active duty SEAL told me that the big difference between the white and black SEALs are that there are no "new guys" in DEVGRU. He said he couldn't explain how huge of a difference it makes. The experience is a deal breaker. He said that when most "white"  SEAL Teams/platoons deploy, they are 35-50% "new guys". That is huge.

When you compound that with the fact that none of those new guys have any kind of dismounted light infantry backgrounds, you can see how the organization suffers at all levels.

There is no field or operational discipline bred into the sailor from Day 1 as you would have in a basic Infantry Unit in the Army or Marines.

Noise discipline?

Planning?

Reconnaissance?

Combat leader experience?  The other major segment of that SEAL Platoon is guys who have done at least one or two Platoon work-ups, a deployment that usually doesn't involve contact, and have gone from cocky youngster with no experience, to even cockier 21-25yr-old with limited experience that reinforces really bad TTPs in many ways.

That's how a junior officer can get away with a colossal abortion criteria plan like Murphy's was, and nobody says, "Sir.  You want to insert within earshot of the objective, with only 4 guys?"

It's crazy they were even allowed to do that mission.

Now if they were conducting a full blown raid maybe.

Why not just Insert at night in a jinngle truck being over watched by a raptor??

Or better yet just have the raptor smoke the whole village, collateral damage

Wasnt that big a issue, especially with a know Taliban location.
Link Posted: 5/18/2016 2:53:15 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
I wasn't there.  I dare say, neither was anybody on this thread.  The truth is probably out there.  I, for one, have no right to pass judgement either way.  

It was easy to blow by that and all that it entails.
Well worth the quote!!!
Link Posted: 5/18/2016 2:54:27 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

Why not just Insert at night in a jinngle truck being over watched by a raptor??

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Team six is the SMU that draws from the best of the teams, who are the maritime force. And there are things that draw from team six.

What you are talking about is done already where it matters, the problem is SOCOM pretending that a junior seal team is equal to a junior ODA out in the sticks, and then showering everyone with medals and praise when it goes sideways so that they don't have to admit there is a problem.

And this. An active duty SEAL told me that the big difference between the white and black SEALs are that there are no "new guys" in DEVGRU. He said he couldn't explain how huge of a difference it makes. The experience is a deal breaker. He said that when most "white"  SEAL Teams/platoons deploy, they are 35-50% "new guys". That is huge.

Noise discipline?

Planning?

Reconnaissance?

They might have hit a baby milk factory or orphanage that the ROPers are so well known for.
Link Posted: 5/18/2016 6:22:55 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 5/18/2016 6:29:08 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

I'm not a SEAL and I have never pretended to be one, I do know a couple of guys who are still with DEVGRU.

So with that said, I've never heard of "White" Teams, "Green" has always been the training Team for DEVGRU
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'm not a SEAL and I have never pretended to be one, I do know a couple of guys who are still with DEVGRU.

So with that said, I've never heard of "White" Teams, "Green" has always been the training Team for DEVGRU

Some people like to refer to the SOCOM units as white-side, and JSOC as darker.

It's not really a distinction that can be made that has any relevance for civilians looking in, and there are units all over the map.

The color names you're referring to with "Green" is something else.
Link Posted: 5/18/2016 6:42:47 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 5/18/2016 6:52:36 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

If this were true, LRRP wouldn't have had to explain it to you above.

Link Posted: 5/18/2016 6:57:19 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Link Posted: 5/18/2016 6:59:04 PM EDT
[#10]
Seriously dude do you always have to be that guy?
Link Posted: 5/18/2016 7:03:03 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 5/18/2016 7:09:43 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Not sure if anyone has seen this before or have heard of Leo Jenkins, but he was a Ranger Medic on the recovery mission.

" I know for a fact that the way that Matt’s death was portrayed in the movie was very inaccurate.  Danny Dietz and Michael Murphy’s bodies were stripped and video taped by the Taliban.  Matt Axelson, after exhausting his ammo, found a place to die in peace."

http://havokjournal.com/culture/lone-survivor-and-truth/
View Quote

Thanks for sharing. I read Lest We Forget and he touched on it there but I didn't know he spoke more on it.
Link Posted: 5/18/2016 7:27:01 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

I'm not .mil, but why in the blue fuck aren't we doing this?  It's like recruitment for pro sports; only the top talent will ever make it, and they will have spent serious time in the development leagues to hone their skills so when they do get a shot at the big show they're well qualified and are the right guys for the job, plus they know exactly what will be expected of them.

Thanks for the great info, btw.  I don't quite know what to think of the whole situation with Marcus now.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
My biggest problem with this is that the 11b on his fourth afghan tour who does everything by the book, maneuvering his squad and killing bad guys, and catches an errant round to the dome or steps on a mine gets a posthumous Purple Heart and a nice burial.

That's the lens you need to look through for this bullshit.

But if you're a SEAL, it's National news and a hometown hero's welcome/celebration event where more people than the town population want to get in on the event.

"I knew that guy.  He used to mow my lawn when he was 12.  What a great kid. I always knew he was destined for greatness, and I even helped share some of life's wisdom with him...blah blah blah...."

I know a few guys on the Teams who would be perfectly happy with staying under the radar, but as an organization, other SOF units would chuckle when SEALs mention being "quiet professionals".

The sheer volume of books and movies tells a different story that simply can't be ignored.

I would be happy with all of it going dark.  The best way the military could deal with this is to:

A.  Raise standards in existing Infantry and Combat Arms units and highlight what those units do.  You can run glossy ads and HD video of those jobs that would sell the military to potential recruits as it is.

B. Create Ranger/Raider/MEUSOC sub units within each Infantry Battalion.  New soldier shows up to his unit, goes straight to one of the entry-level/training companies, and jumps into the training cycle.  After being in the unit for a year, he has the opportunity to try out for Ranger or Raider Company if he so desires.  These units would maintain higher standards across the board expected of a soldier who has been in a while.  300 APFT, Expert Weapons Qual in a multi-tabled range sessions, EIB mandatory, Ranger school attendance/graduation by E-4, additional MOS/ASI training in Commo, Engineer/Breech, Combat Medicine, Intel/Recce, vehicles, etc.

C. Shut the lights off on SOCOM and make mention of it punishable by UCMJ outside of internal recruiting.  Recruit only from the Ranger Companies and specific units needed for the pool.  No books, movies, reporter interviews, nothing.  Go completely dark, and highlight the Ranger Companies at the combat brigade unit-level in controlled media presentations.

D. Once an experienced NCO does his time in Ranger/Raider companies, including multiple deployments, he moves on to SF or other selection, or cycles back to one of the regular companies, Fort Benning, PRC, and other relevant instructor time to maintain a quality leadership climate for the incoming soldiers and officers to learn from.  This duty should be given a lot of prestige like the USMC bestows on instructors, unlike the Army.  The Army's treatment of instructor duty simply baffles me, and needs to be overhauled.

The Marines can run all the ads about how high speed it is to be in Raider Company after doing your time in the already prestigious Infantry line companies.

The Army can run the same ads for Ranger Companies in the different combat Brigades as they evolve from the 25th, 1001st, 10th Mtn, and 82nd.

There is plenty of material then to show guys roping and jumping from birds, breeching doors with demo, clearing rooms, patrolling the woods, sniping, small boat operations, and all the adventure a kid could hope for.  There is no reason to show anything from SOCOM.

This would raise the standards for the military as a whole, and weed out a lot of garbage that has been allowed to fester in the leadership climate as well.  Go completely dark with SOCOM. Regiment can then offer RASP to guys once they have actually graduated the new Combat Parachute Assault Course as 11B1Ps, which replaces the abortion known as Army Airborne School, which has exactly zero combat focus.  Look at how the Brits run their parachute training, and you'll see what I mean.  The vast majority of people who the Army sends through Airborne school have absolutely no business going near it, and thus, the training opportunities there have been eliminated so that non-performers can make it through, and actual paratroopers get cheated out of what could be combat-relevant training, to include planning, assembly, graded patrolling, combat trauma management, IPB, recognition, and other things.

The Army wastes Option 40 contracts on guys who have no chance of getting into Battalion, and this is done at the recruiting level when they are civilians.  Regiment should be allowed to secretly recruit after the numbers have been proven through the new OSUT/AIT and Combat Parachute training pipeline.

Same thing for MARSOC.  They can go completely dark, and recruit from the Infantry Battalions, STA Platoons, Recon Battalion, and other units for support pax.

SF can secretly recruit as well from the pools of people they want.  Certain units you have never heard of have managed to do this for decades.

I'm not .mil, but why in the blue fuck aren't we doing this?  It's like recruitment for pro sports; only the top talent will ever make it, and they will have spent serious time in the development leagues to hone their skills so when they do get a shot at the big show they're well qualified and are the right guys for the job, plus they know exactly what will be expected of them.

Thanks for the great info, btw.  I don't quite know what to think of the whole situation with Marcus now.

Same here.

IMHO, keeping all of our secret squirrel shit actually secret sounds like a damned great idea.

We need our enemies to think of our SF personnel as death-dealing phantoms, not celebrities.
Link Posted: 5/18/2016 7:34:55 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

The main point is that the SBS recruits from the Royal Marines, who are one of the most competent light infantry/commando units on the planet.

That formula is scalable to maritime special operations units.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:  But if you're a SEAL, it's National news and a hometown hero's welcome/celebration event where more people than the town population want to get in on the event.

"I knew that guy.  He used to mow my lawn when he was 12.  What a great kid. I always knew he was destined for greatness, and I even helped share some of life's wisdom with him...blah blah blah...."

I know a few guys on the Teams who would be perfectly happy with staying under the radar, but as an organization, other SOF units would chuckle when SEALs mention being "quiet professionals".

The sheer volume of books and movies tells a different story that simply can't be ignored.

I would be happy with all of it going dark.

There's an alternative perspective on the SEALs, and why they're viewed as expendable, and certain standards are not enforced by higher.

They are the Navy's best recruiting tool.  For every 2 sailors that make it through BUDS, there are 98 who are now before the mast, and can be assigned according to the needs of the Navy.  Those 98 would not have signed up for the Navy w/o a rate, and likely might have chosen to join the Army or the Marine Corps.  They are now fit young deck apes, and the smarter ones get sent to GM school.

If the SEALs were to go dark, the Navy would lose a prime recruiting tool - not for the Teams, but for the fleet.

The British SBS recruits from Royal Marines, and they make the SEALs look like a joke when it comes to their training pipeline, selection, and actual job performance.  They are one of the world's premier maritime special operations units, but you don't ever hear about them.  Funny how that works.

I've made that argument about SEALs being simply a recruiting tool for the Navy.  Josh says I'm wrong, that the guys that don't make it simply get out of their contract with the military and go back to being a civilian.  After hall, he did support for them one time, so my years of 1st-hand experience with them in both training and real-world deployments in an operational capacity doesn't count.

It is not really apples to apples to compare the SBS with the SEALS.

The entire SBS is smaller than a single SEAL team.

Not a SEAL fan boy but to compare the actual real world missions of the SBS to the SEALSs is a bit silly. SBS is like well under 300 dudes total. Not exactly a serious tool of Foreign Policy.

I do think the SEALs are over all a good recruitment tool for the Navy in general and know that the movie "Act of Valor" had a very significant and positive effect on SEAL recruitment.

Some of the Squeel hate is a bit over the top. Squeels have been better at the PR game than some other equivalent units but in this day and age of intense competition for Mil budgets you have to bring your A game.

As other have mentioned Red Wings is not exactly a bragging OP for most is NSW.

The main point is that the SBS recruits from the Royal Marines, who are one of the most competent light infantry/commando units on the planet.

That formula is scalable to maritime special operations units.

And the SBS has been kept in it's lane, while the SEALs have been put into a role that, IMHO, they don't belong in. They are not patrolling infantry. They are sailors and frogmen.

But what do I know...
Link Posted: 5/18/2016 7:37:45 PM EDT
[#15]
When you see the Russians and combat tourists mimicking our guys' equipment, clothing, and weapons almost to a T, you know there is far too much exposure.

The only people that need exposure are a few combatant commanders, second-term soldiers being solicited for recruitment who heard things by word of mouth, and not many else.

Russian Gruppa ALFA
Link Posted: 5/18/2016 7:38:14 PM EDT
[#16]
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
What Maritime units would the Squeels recruit from?

SEAL recruitment was below objectives until the "Act of Valor" movie. That movie had a major positive impact to recruitment.

If you knew the back story of how a "for profit" movie received multi multi millions of dollars of official Navy support you would smile or puke depending on your sense of humor and how you viewed "the ends justify the means" but rest assured the Navy brass ain't gonna allow it to happen again, regardless of the positive results.

The Bandito Brothers made some serious bank and the SEALs/ Navy scored a great recruiting tool. Win Win???

And they didn't even have the decency to kit them out with SR25s, used DPMS instead with carry handle mount.

https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-GBYYTNHg7yw/T7ZK1TbIs8I/AAAAAAAAEZk/VVCWJysCT6A/s1440/screenshot_00002.jpg

http://www.imfdb.org/images/thumb/f/f7/AOV-SR-3.jpg/600px-AOV-SR-3.jpg

And there was a shocking lack of SOPMOD stocks...
Link Posted: 5/18/2016 7:39:36 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
When you see the Russians and combat tourists mimicking our guys' equipment, clothing, and weapons almost to a T, you know there is far too much exposure.

The only people that need exposure are a few combatant commanders, second-term soldiers being solicited for recruitment who heard things by word of mouth, and not many else.
View Quote

Play Station 2

"Navy SEALs"

That's when it started to get out of hand IMO as far as media exposure.
Link Posted: 5/18/2016 7:45:42 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
I use to  cryptically,post in team a few times on NSW fucking  up the bad guys
My friend went through a brutal selection process to be in a support role
He would give me a heads up in stories that were about to break in the news
They do handle some shit from his POV.
I'm not .mil so I really  am clueless but he is an honest guy. He has now back at his normal job
View All Quotes
Quoted:
I use to  cryptically,post in team a few times on NSW fucking  up the bad guys
My friend went through a brutal selection process to be in a support role
He would give me a heads up in stories that were about to break in the news
They do handle some shit from his POV.
I'm not .mil so I really  am clueless but he is an honest guy. He has now back at his normal job

Quoted:
@CWG

I didn't say email.  
and not upcoming missions.
Missions that were about to break on national news, frequently next day.
Usually "ISIS camp struck by drones" etc.

Your friend was a moron for doing that.
Link Posted: 5/18/2016 7:49:26 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

Russian Gruppa ALFA
https://scontent.cdninstagram.com/t51.2885-15/e15/928360_379393158903445_91895878_n.jpg?ig_cache_key=ODcwNDcyMTE5NjgzODA4MjQw.2
View Quote

Fucking insane.
Link Posted: 5/18/2016 7:55:17 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

Russian Gruppa ALFA
https://scontent.cdninstagram.com/t51.2885-15/e15/928360_379393158903445_91895878_n.jpg?ig_cache_key=ODcwNDcyMTE5NjgzODA4MjQw.2
View Quote

Tactics too, looks like.
Link Posted: 5/18/2016 7:57:54 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Russian Gruppa ALFA

View Quote

I can't help but wonder in an Internet age, if it isn't impossible for that kind of information to be in the open.

I mean hell, there is more then one former delta guy on YouTube posting training videos.
Link Posted: 5/18/2016 8:01:24 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
And the SBS has been kept in it's lane, while the SEALs have been put into a role that, IMHO, they don't belong in. They are not patrolling infantry. They are sailors and frogmen.

But what do I know...
View Quote

The SBS has had a lot of involvement in the GWOT in both Afghanistan-- including early in the war-- and in Iraq.

They have definitely had a lot of success, but check this out...

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/journalists/neil-tweedie/9932926/SBS-heroes-who-took-on-mission-impossible.html

Link Posted: 5/18/2016 8:11:21 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

Russian Gruppa ALFA
View Quote

Jesus has Russia ever came up with anything on their own?
Link Posted: 5/18/2016 8:12:20 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

I can't help but wonder in an Internet age, if it isn't impossible for that kind of information to be in the open.

I mean hell, there is more then one former delta guy on YouTube posting training videos.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Russian Gruppa ALFA

Let's not forget that certain someone's love for Russia and his numerous trips over there to train them.
Link Posted: 5/18/2016 8:16:29 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
View Quote

Is that the same one who has a hard-on for the Russians?

If so, stay in your lane.
Link Posted: 5/18/2016 8:37:01 PM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 5/18/2016 8:54:22 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Here is a Plaque I got from DEVGRU a few years ago, my name is trimmed out of the lower part for PERSEC  

http://www.ar15.com/media/viewFile.html?i=56477

View Quote

Pretty cool. Why did they give you the plaque?
Link Posted: 5/18/2016 9:08:19 PM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 5/18/2016 9:16:42 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

In the many conversations I've had I have never heard the term of White Teams before, not once

Here is a Plaque I got from DEVGRU a few years ago, my name is trimmed out of the lower part for PERSEC  

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

In the many conversations I've had I have never heard the term of White Teams before, not once

When referencing non-SMU SOF, I've heard those dudes referred to as "vanilla" or "white".

Awesome plaque; thanks for sharing.
Link Posted: 5/18/2016 9:39:57 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

There's no need to thank me for anything; I'm just a writer/researcher/historian. I've never served, regrettably. But thank YOU for supporting me in my endeavor as a novelist.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
He is I and I am him. And thank you very much for the support and compliment. It's basically my life's work, lol. I think the sequel will be better though.
This thread prompted (reminded) me to also buy your book. Amazon says it should be here tomorrow. Looking forward to a good read. Thanks for your service!

There's no need to thank me for anything; I'm just a writer/researcher/historian. I've never served, regrettably. But thank YOU for supporting me in my endeavor as a novelist.

Well, I just burned through the rest of "Gentle Propositions."   Very impressed.  That book is basically a field manual.  
I'm an infantry guy but wasn't in Vietnam, and the idea that you weren't in the military at all and wrote that book is hard to get my head around.  
The only comparable authors that come to mind are Dennis Foley, James Webb, Karl Marlantes...people who were there.
The technical and tactical depictions of what they were doing are flawless, as far as I can tell.
Unbelievable level of research and attention to detail.  Best of luck with your next book.

Link Posted: 5/18/2016 9:54:55 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

So... Force Recon and MARSOC/Raiders?
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

What if SEAL teams had been created under the Marine Corps. This way, both branches who specialize in infantry combat arms would've been building SOF organically with volunteers who had been raised in an infantry household. Navy keeps UDT and EOD, which they're obviously quite good at, although every branch has their own EOD units. I reckon the main thing keeping the USMC from having ventured down this path in the late '50s and early '60s was the mindset of "No Marine is more special than the other."

I dunno, just pontificating on a Wednesday afternoon.

So... Force Recon and MARSOC/Raiders?

How much different was Force Recon's training compared to a Marine infantry outfit during the early 1960s? They obviously conducted special operations in Vietnam, and I know guys from those outfits attended the 5th SFG's RECONDO School in Nha Trang, but technically speaking, the USMC didn't have a SOF outfit until February 2006.
Link Posted: 5/18/2016 10:00:18 PM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:
Well, I just burned through the rest of "Gentle Propositions."   Very impressed.  That book is basically a field manual.  

I'm an infantry guy but wasn't in Vietnam, and the idea that you weren't in the military at all and wrote that book is hard to get my head around.  

The only comparable authors that come to mind are Dennis Foley, James Webb, Karl Marlantes...people who were there.

The technical and tactical depictions of what they were doing are flawless, as far as I can tell.

Unbelievable level of research and attention to detail.  Best of luck with your next book.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

He is I and I am him. And thank you very much for the support and compliment. It's basically my life's work, lol. I think the sequel will be better though.
This thread prompted (reminded) me to also buy your book. Amazon says it should be here tomorrow. Looking forward to a good read. Thanks for your service!

Damn Charlie, I really appreciate that. Those comments carry A LOT of weight coming from guys with your background. Thanks a lot man, I really do appreciate it.
Link Posted: 5/18/2016 10:31:31 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

It's not really a distinction that can be made that has any relevance for civilians looking in, and there are units all over the map.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

But JSOC is most certainly not black, by definition.

IMHO, the "everybody should be black"  thing is counter productive waste that usually ends up with more exposure in the modern today.

Opsec/Infosec is still a huge deal but by trying to stuff everybody and their sister into "blackish" status simply increases the number of people with exposure to TTPs, and subsequently increase the speed with which they are compromised.

Look how many people (even in the SF/IC/SMU lands) forget about the differences between overt, clandestine, and covert if they don't write it down and end up attempting some sort of silly ass mixture down range that's either pointless or that they're not even authorized to do.

But Team six isn't "black" regardless of how many COD games they star in.
Link Posted: 5/19/2016 6:51:45 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

IMHO, the "everybody should be black"  thing is counter productive waste that usually ends up with more exposure in the modern today.

Opsec/Infosec is still a huge deal but by trying to stuff everybody and their sister into "blackish" status simply increases the number of people with exposure to TTPs, and subsequently increase the speed with which they are compromised.

Look how many people (even in the SF/IC/SMU lands) forget about the differences between overt, clandestine, and covert if they don't write it down and end up attempting some sort of silly ass mixture down range that's either pointless or that they're not even authorized to do.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

#blackopsmatter
Link Posted: 5/19/2016 6:55:09 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

There is an entire discipline called military history written by people who weren't there.
You can pull out a book that passes judgement on Lee at Gettysburg, and Custer at the Little Bighorn.
There's an entire industry on the mistakes of Vietnam, and WWI too. I wasn't there either.  

You can learn from the mistakes of others or make them yourself.

What makes these people above that?  Please educate me.
Link Posted: 5/19/2016 7:13:35 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

There is an entire discipline called military history written by people who weren't there.
You can pull out a book that passes judgement on Lee at Gettysburg, and Custer at the Little Bighorn.
There's an entire industry on the mistakes of Vietnam, and WWI too. I wasn't there either.  

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

In the example you give:
Lee was great
Custer was an idiot.

Sorry, just wanted to say that.
Link Posted: 5/19/2016 7:23:51 AM EDT
[#37]
Lee was great in Virginia where he had perfect intel on his enemy and knew the terrain.

Lee sucked once he left Virginia.

If I have perfect intel and my enemy is blind, I would be a god, too.

But what happened once he hit PA?  He started bitching about his cavalry tear assing around causing havoc instead of scouting.

Just like they always did.  But in PA he NEEDED the scouting because he was blind.  So he walked into the prepared defenses of the union and lost the war in an afternoon.

Link Posted: 5/19/2016 7:47:35 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Lee was great in Virginia where he had perfect intel on his enemy and knew the terrain.

But what happened once he hit PA?  He started bitching about his cavalry tear assing around causing havoc instead of scouting.

Just like they always did.  But in PA he NEEDED the scouting because he was blind.  So he walked into the prepared defenses of the union and lost the war in an afternoon.

View Quote

C'mon man, thats just mean.
Dont make me bring up Stonewall.
Sorry, having fun..no thread derail.

Lee was great.
Link Posted: 5/19/2016 7:53:29 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

Lee was great.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Lee was great.

You can't lose and be great.

Them the rules.
Link Posted: 5/19/2016 8:10:10 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

Them the rules.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Lee was great.

Them the rules.

Yea Yea, you win.

Wonder with our Civil War loses are somewhere At 600,000 plus, what the body count is in Afghanville, over the years due to civil war?
Link Posted: 5/19/2016 8:19:23 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:  You can't lose and be great.

Them the rules.
View Quote

So Giap was great?
Link Posted: 5/19/2016 8:26:35 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

So Giap was great?
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Them the rules.

So Giap was great?

This thread is traveling the world
Link Posted: 5/19/2016 8:34:51 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Them the rules.

So Giap was great?

I've been checking in every so often.
The progression here is fascinating.
Link Posted: 5/19/2016 8:40:07 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

I always found it hard to believe that he tumbled down that mountain with his MK12 taking a fucking beating and not only did the glass not break, but it actually retained it's zero... Because after all that he shoots a dude in the head at 150 yards, IIRC.

That always seem... suspicious.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Could it be Gulab is butthurt after the way Marcus treated him?

wondering that also.

But many for years have questioned the account as it just did not add up or make sense.

The 11 loaded magazines he had makes you go WTF

I always found it hard to believe that he tumbled down that mountain with his MK12 taking a fucking beating and not only did the glass not break, but it actually retained it's zero... Because after all that he shoots a dude in the head at 150 yards, IIRC.

That always seem... suspicious.

Especially with those ARMS mounts, that scope would be in the next province
Link Posted: 5/19/2016 8:42:21 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

Russian Gruppa ALFA
View Quote

I blame video games.
Link Posted: 5/19/2016 8:45:40 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

So Giap was great?
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Them the rules.

So Giap was great?

Giap?  No.

Ho?  Yes.

Giap lost the battles he fought.  Badly, in fact.

Ho won.
Link Posted: 5/19/2016 8:49:29 AM EDT
[#47]
Link Posted: 5/19/2016 10:01:37 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

I blame video games.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Russian Gruppa ALFA

I blame video games.

And what does it matter, anyways?
Link Posted: 5/19/2016 10:02:42 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Russian Gruppa ALFA

I blame video games.

Hillary, is that you ?
Link Posted: 5/19/2016 10:36:39 AM EDT
[#50]
Page / 22
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top