Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 7/31/2015 2:34:01 PM EDT
[#1]
Seriously, a lock just keeps honest people honest. You can not stop a real thief. Just buy one that looks ok and go with that.
Link Posted: 7/31/2015 2:39:35 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

More info on that?

I've got one of these stuck in my hitch that ain't never coming out
http://aftermarketautocenter.com/media/catalog/product/cache/1/image/9df78eab33525d08d6e5fb8d27136e95/a/m/amac-img-dt-lbm8200.jpg
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Master Lock Version

Any better options out there?

I want one that can withstand prolonged usage and not rust up.  Also, I want to avoid the "barrel" lock type because apparently they are easy to bump with a Bic pen.....

Thanks in advance for the help!

ETA:  I want the locking ability to slow down and deter a thief from stealing my bike/cargo carrier when I'm away from my vehicle.  Speaking of, who makes a decent bicycle lock?

More info on that?

I've got one of these stuck in my hitch that ain't never coming out
http://aftermarketautocenter.com/media/catalog/product/cache/1/image/9df78eab33525d08d6e5fb8d27136e95/a/m/amac-img-dt-lbm8200.jpg

Diversi-tech appears to have sold out to http://www.fastwaytrailer.com/.  I'd contact them and see what they say.  If you manage to get it out and don't want it (and it's a zero-rise like you posted) I'll buy it.
Link Posted: 7/31/2015 2:39:45 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Use a grade eight bolt and locknut. Thieves probably won't have wrenches, sockets and such to unbolt it.
View Quote

I have never used a lock. I guess I just live in an honest part of flyover country.

However, I have considered going to an E-Torx bolt and a distorted thread nut - and also a hole for a pin for safety.

The thief might have a Bob Vila Sears fathers-day special socket set under the front seat, but good luck with the E-Torx.

Link Posted: 7/31/2015 2:40:29 PM EDT
[#4]
I put CLP in mine to keep rust out.
Link Posted: 7/31/2015 2:51:35 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Use a grade eight bolt and locknut. Thieves probably won't have wrenches, sockets and such to unbolt it.
View Quote

Yep. Use a fine thread grade 8 bolt, and run a Stover C nut up tight to the hitch body. The run a second Stover C down on the first nut.

Crooks will not take the time to wrench off two nuts. The average battery powered impact will not get the job done - and it will make a lot of racket.  And you get a free tool when you surprise them....
Link Posted: 7/31/2015 3:16:44 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

You will not touch my radiator destroyer!
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Why don't you just remove the hitch when not actually using it?

You will not touch my radiator destroyer!

I had a large heavy hitch in and got rear-ended at 30mph, it just bent the receiver mount down, but the front end of the car was very fucked up. Hood was crumpled, radiator was destroyed, bumper was caved in, and front of the motor was pretty junked up too.
Link Posted: 7/31/2015 3:48:19 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
View Quote

When I drive cross country with my trailer, this is what I use.  Torque the bolt down to 125-150 ft-lbs and the hitch won't rattle either.

Link Posted: 8/2/2015 6:05:04 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

I'm still kinda shocked that there isn't a "recommended" solution that everyone just raves about....
View Quote

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top