BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 1/4/2002 7:23:48 AM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:

You made these two statements back to back trying to defend yourself against the accusation that you believe [b]you[/b] are more qualified to tell people how to raise their children than [b]they[/b] are???
View Quote

no, i never told anybody, anywhere that i am more qualified to raise their kids then they are. where did you get that from?
Link Posted: 1/4/2002 7:24:11 AM EDT
[#2]
I guess I'm more puzzled than anything else by how they select their targets.

If its "witchcraft" in general, why has no-one been burning videos of Sabrina the Teenage Witch and Archie comic books?

And SURELY Lord of the Rings has as much magic and such as poor old Harry Potter.

What about THE LION, THE WITCH AND THE WARDROBE?  Sounds E*V*I*L to me...

I wish they'd just go back to spreading stupid rumors about Proctor & Gamble.
Link Posted: 1/4/2002 7:27:23 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Quoted:

You made these two statements back to back trying to defend yourself against the accusation that you believe [b]you[/b] are more qualified to tell people how to raise their children than [b]they[/b] are???
View Quote

no, i never told anybody, anywhere that i am more qualified to raise their kids then they are. where did you get that from?
View Quote

It came from you criticizing their *choice* to burn books, and recommending fiction/non-fiction training instead.
Link Posted: 1/4/2002 7:30:29 AM EDT
[#4]
Jack Brock and his folks are simply looking for publicity, [b]Tinker[/b], that's all, so I can't imagine how they pick their targets!

The Left always seems to have a better handle on how to do this than the Right does.

But then, they have an extraordinary number of folks without much to do during the day, and a lot of free time on one's idle hands is the so-called 'devil's workshop.'

Eric The(IfYou'llPardonTheExpression)Hun[>]:)]
Link Posted: 1/4/2002 7:32:19 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

It came from you criticizing their *choice* to burn books, and recommending fiction/non-fiction training instead.
View Quote

ah! so my having an opinion on how i would do things differently, suddenly becomes me telling you that i'm better than you.  i see.
Link Posted: 1/4/2002 7:33:03 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
I guess I'm more puzzled than anything else by how they select their targets.

If its "witchcraft" in general, why has no-one been burning videos of Sabrina the Teenage Witch and Archie comic books?

And SURELY Lord of the Rings has as much magic and such as poor old Harry Potter.

What about THE LION, THE WITCH AND THE WARDROBE?  Sounds E*V*I*L to me...

I wish they'd just go back to spreading stupid rumors about Proctor & Gamble.
View Quote

The "Harry Potter" books enormous popularity led to its selection as a target Films and TV shows can be boycotted but a good public book burning will get you on CNN. I would not be surprise to find out they hired a pulbicist --I mean I am sure the cameras werent just hangin out with nothin to do so they decideed to drop by the local church to see if any book burnin's or exorcisims were goin on.
Link Posted: 1/4/2002 7:35:30 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
ah! so my having an opinion on how i would do things differently, suddenly becomes me telling you that i'm better than you.  i see.
View Quote

No, you didn't say you're better than me, that would be ludicrous...

[:D]

Link Posted: 1/4/2002 7:41:18 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

View Quote

[:)] me saying it would be ludicrous, or it being possible would be ludicrous???

at any rate, if they want to limit their lives, that is their choice. i promise everyone here that i will play a different game when the time comes. besides, getting a burn permit in my area is next to impossible!
Link Posted: 1/4/2002 8:07:23 AM EDT
[#9]
I find this just as bad as say, censoring or banning Mark Twain because he used the 'N' word. Bad for the goose, bad for the gander.

I wonder if some would be defending this if it were bibles that were being burned?

EtH, here's one Heathen/Pagan (I prefer heathen) who supports RKBA full tilt.
Link Posted: 1/4/2002 8:08:11 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Quoted:

View Quote

[:)] me saying it would be ludicrous, or it being possible would be ludicrous???

at any rate, if they want to limit their lives, that is their choice. i promise everyone here that i will play a different game when the time comes. besides, getting a burn permit in my area is next to impossible!
View Quote

I'm glad you caught the humor in my response.  After re-reading your posts, it's clear to me that what you did was "sound" like some people I've been going around with on this issue.  I apologize for going off - the first thing that went through my mind was "OMG not [b]another[/b] one.  

so, peace.  [beer]
Link Posted: 1/4/2002 8:09:20 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

The Left always seems to have a better handle on how to do this than the Right does.

Eric The(IfYou'llPardonTheExpression)Hun[>]:)]
View Quote

A media sympathetic to the left does help.
[smoke]
Link Posted: 1/4/2002 8:11:58 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

I'm glad you caught the humor in my response.  After re-reading your posts, it's clear to me that what you did was "sound" like some people I've been going around with on this issue.  I apologize for going off - the first thing that went through my mind was "OMG not [b]another[/b] one.  

so, peace.  [beer]
View Quote

whew! the last thing i need, is to become "[b]another[/b] one"!

[beer]
Link Posted: 1/4/2002 8:18:01 AM EDT
[#13]
Post from Ghettoblaster -
EtH, here's one Heathen/Pagan (I prefer heathen) who supports RKBA full tilt.
View Quote

Then you're my Brother in Arms, although we have different Fathers.

We'll be reconciled one day, when we go to meet a common enemy.

Eric The(WhoAlreadyAppearsToBeOnTheMarch)Hun[>]:)]
Link Posted: 1/4/2002 8:19:21 AM EDT
[#14]
God help us, 5subslr5, but the Media [b]is[/b] the Left for all intents and purposes! [>]:)]
Link Posted: 1/4/2002 8:22:30 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

I wonder if some would be defending this if it were bibles that were being burned?
View Quote

I'm an Agnostic and really don't fit very much into many of these discussions but I assure you I would be protesting the public burning of any book - especially the Bible.
Link Posted: 1/4/2002 8:30:00 AM EDT
[#16]
[
Quoted:

View Quote

As a Christian, I wouldn't want to see anyone burn a Bible.

As an American, I would wholeheartedly support an individual's right to do so.

Good enough answer, GB?
Link Posted: 1/4/2002 8:31:00 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
God help us, 5subslr5, but the Media [b]is[/b] the Left for all intents and purposes! [>]:)]
View Quote

E.T. Hun,
were that only true.
The left although small is varied, influential and powerful.
The left runs from Schumer/Hitlery & Ted, to Jane Fonda to, it seems, most Ivy League facilities - plus many other colleges and universitys.
And let us not forget the Hollywood left.

The presence of a "left" biased media does allow all to thrive.
Link Posted: 1/4/2002 8:33:44 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Then you're my Brother in Arms, although we have different Fathers.

We'll be reconciled one day, when we go to meet a common enemy.

Eric The(WhoAlreadyAppearsToBeOnTheMarch)Hun[>]:)]
View Quote

Right. When it comes to RKBA, I don't bother to worry about religion. There's more important things to worry about. Like what the Klinton/Schumer types are up to...  
Link Posted: 1/4/2002 8:39:54 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
[
Quoted:

View Quote

As a Christian, I wouldn't want to see anyone burn a Bible.

As an American, I would wholeheartedly support an individual's right to do so.

Good enough answer, GB?
View Quote

Yep.

Another bad thing about burning books is it will drive some poeple right to them. Record burning probably sold more heavy metal records back in the '80s than any amount of "marketing" did.
Link Posted: 1/4/2002 9:41:22 AM EDT
[#20]
Here's how the story ran in the Alamagordo News - see if you can find any allusions to Nazis, Observer!

www.alamogordonews.com/Stories/0,1002,9596%257E307653,00.html

I counted three direct references to Nazis!

So that's the 'thread' I'm reading.
View Quote

hey '[b]'hun[/b]....yeah, whoop-de-fuggin-do.

So some knucklehead who writes for a backwater newspaper calls 'em Nazis. What the hell did that have to do with the thread started on this board??? (clue: nuttin')

Besides you weren't reading a 'thread', you were reading a newspaper article.

You also weren't responding to the newspaper writer, you were responding to either me or stycr....in fact, I think it was [b]you[/b] who brought up the Nazis in the first place.

Hmm, whodathunkit.

Link Posted: 1/4/2002 9:52:07 AM EDT
[#21]
So, if I decide to burn my copy of Harry Potter, becasue I want to prevent anyone else from enduring the mind numbing innanity of reading this piece of crap book, would that be ok?  

How about if I burn the Violence Policy Center or Brady campaign for Rights Control newsletter?  
Link Posted: 1/4/2002 10:01:46 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Would you have criticized them if they had burned a copy of "The Man From Hope", "It Takes A Village", pamphlets from Sarah Brady's
HCI or Osama-in-effigy?
View Quote

Quoted:
How about if I burn the Violence Policy Center or Brady campaign for Rights Control newsletter?
View Quote

Is there an echo in here? [;)]

Link Posted: 1/4/2002 10:17:04 AM EDT
[#23]
[i]Quoted:
And that the christanity should seek to glorify and build in Gods name and not destroy or surpress. [b]Jesus spoke of love of your fellow man not hate.[/b] It is man who introduced hate and destruction into God's word Men use religion as a control metohd just as dictators and cultists do. God is freedom and knowledge and love and power-- not fear and repression and control those things come from men and preachers are men too. [/i]

Far too many people forget that it was Jesus who took up a rod and [b]violently[/b] drove the money-changers from the temple.

Are you going to accuse Jesus of being "unchristian" in His aggressive intolerance of those men?

P.S.
As far as the "judge not..." line most people constantly misapply - Jesus also warned to beware of false prophets.  How are we to discern false prophets if we don't "judge" other people?  Clearly, Jesus intended for us to discern good from bad and, by his example, occasionally take up the rod to back it up.

Burning a few Harry Potter books?  Again, it's just a DEMONSTRATION - not an attempt to eliminate all Harry Potter books from society.

Link Posted: 1/4/2002 10:20:26 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Sorry, no hits, no runs, one error.

Eric The(BatterUp)Hun[>]:)]
View Quote

The legality of something is irrelevant to its rightness.

Your statement that what they did was LEGAL is as feckless as Al Gore's claim that what he did was RIGHT because there was no LAW on the matter.  Nothing more clearly demonstrated the moral bankruptcy of Bill Clinton and his administration.

Anybody that needs the law to give them a code by which to live needs to develop some moral character and standards.

After all, slavery was the law, "Jim Crow" was the law, apartheid was the law, segegrated military units based on race was the law, sending Jews to the oven was the law.  Lots of things that are legal are just plain wrong.  And there are plenty that are illegal that are right. Legality is, at best amoral, and is frequently immoral

So don't try to justify it by claiming that a few hundred elected pinheads somewhere voted it into place. Justify it based on something with standards, moral authority or meaning.
Link Posted: 1/4/2002 10:56:28 AM EDT
[#25]
Jesus while being the son of God was by his birth human and his ANGER at the money lenders for sulling the temple -- a place of worship led him to drive them out and later acknowledge that he let his anger get the better of him and ask God for forgiveness for his actions. He was more angry at the scribes and priests of Israel for allowing such activities to take place in the temple and they of course got thier ultimate revenge upon Him. According to his own statements he did not hate any man and at the hour of his death begged forgiveness of his prosecutors and executioners. Jesus as a human was capable of anger but as the son of God he was not capable of hate. The people that burn books and deny knowledge (even Fiction) in Gods name sow hate and destruction not religion.
Link Posted: 1/4/2002 10:58:16 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
and later acknowledge that he let his anger get the better of him and ask God for forgiveness for his actions.
View Quote

SOURCE please.

Link Posted: 1/4/2002 11:00:23 AM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 1/4/2002 11:05:43 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Quoted:
and later acknowledge that he let his anger get the better of him and ask God for forgiveness for his actions.
View Quote

SOURCE please.

View Quote

G-man you beat me to the punch again.  Jesus sinned & asked God for forgiveness????????????

[:O]
Link Posted: 1/4/2002 11:10:29 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Jesus while being the son of God was by his birth human and his ANGER at the money lenders for sulling the temple -- a place of worship led him to drive them out and later acknowledge that he let his anger get the better of him and ask God for forgiveness for his actions.
View Quote

When did Jesus ask God for forgiveness for that?
Are you saying Jesus [i]regretted[/i] what He did?
I don't know the Bible by heart, verse-by-verse, but I don't recall that episode.  If I'm wrong, I stand corrected.  But is there a reference I missed?

Link Posted: 1/4/2002 11:18:04 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
I don't know the Bible by heart, verse-by-verse, but I don't recall that episode.  

View Quote

It happened just before the "Who shot J.R." episode....

Link Posted: 1/4/2002 11:26:40 AM EDT
[#31]
Macallan I dont know the bible by heart either but (and I will admit this is somewhat on conjecture base on the catholic schooling that made me the religion skeptic I am today ) It is IIRC in the dialouge of the last supper that he expresses some remorse for his ACTIONS at the temple not his motivation (That is based onthe last theology class I attended in like 9th grade probably almost 20 years now I would have to go find a bible and look it up) I rember that cause some girl in one of ny classes pointed out the same thing that in certain situations Jesus did take actions that appeared to contrary to his teachings specificly the temple.
But the underlying point remains: Jesus and God --IE christianity as a whole preach peace and love of your fellow man not hate and violence but unscrupulous men use devotion and faith to seek thier own ends. Destruction of knowledge is but one of those methods. Harry potter books represent no threat to christianity or man as a whole and by distroying these books on tv no lees only adds  to the allure. I quite frankly am glad today when I see a child read ANYTHING so long as they are reading. I dont care if they read JD Salenger or Shakespeare or the Cat in the Hat for that matter as long as they are learning.
Link Posted: 1/4/2002 11:28:28 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Quoted:
I don't know the Bible by heart, verse-by-verse, but I don't recall that episode.  

View Quote

It happened just before the "Who shot J.R." episode....

View Quote

Both you and a3kid are too quick.  I thought I was the first one to call offctr's bluff.

Link Posted: 1/4/2002 11:40:16 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
But the underlying point remains: Jesus and God --IE christianity as a whole preach peace and love of your fellow man not hate and violence...
View Quote

These book-burners were not burning J.K. Rowling herself!  There was no hatred of or violence towards anyone.  It was just a (obviously headline-grabbing) demonstration of their disapproval of Harry Potter themes.

Jesus was certainly intolerant of false prophets, hypocrites and sin of all types.  And yes, He had mercy for the sinner too.  When confronted with the prostitute ready to be stoned to death, He saved her but also said for her to "go and sin no more."  

Quoted:
I quite frankly am glad today when I see a child read ANYTHING so long as they are reading. I dont care if they read JD Salenger or Shakespeare or the Cat in the Hat for that matter as long as they are learning.
View Quote

Yes, I think children reading is important, but subject matter is important. I'd rather they read "Common Sense" rather than "Communist Manifesto".

Link Posted: 1/4/2002 11:43:57 AM EDT
[#34]
I had often wondered what a group of high school educated, opinionated 5 year olds arguing would be like.  

Well this is it.

Don't you people get tired? I have never seen one view changed after all the God talk, as a matter of fact I have never seen one view changed on anything.
Link Posted: 1/4/2002 11:49:21 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
I had often wondered what a group of high school educated, opinionated 5 year olds arguing would be like.  

Well this is it.

Don't you people get tired? I have never seen one view changed after all the God talk, as a matter of fact I have never seen one view changed on anything.
View Quote

You're right.  Let's stop all this pointless banter and just cut to the chase.

All those who agree say Aye!
All those who disagree - shut up.

[;)]
Link Posted: 1/4/2002 11:57:56 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Yes, I think children reading is important, but subject matter is important. I'd rather they read "Common Sense" rather than "Communist Manifesto".

View Quote

Agreed.
Link Posted: 1/4/2002 12:22:20 PM EDT
[#37]
View Quote

I've never seen anyone quit posting as a result of a "Stop the God talk!" post either. [:D]
Link Posted: 1/4/2002 12:30:20 PM EDT
[#38]
Too-shay renamed ;)
Link Posted: 1/4/2002 12:35:09 PM EDT
[#39]
Have anyoyou actually been to Alamogordo!!!???

Let me propose that this foolish episode does not have it's roots in high-minded but misguided attempt to change minds, protest, or capture headlines. The real reason for this foolishness is pure and simple boredom.

Alamogordo NM is next to the White Sands Missle Range which is the largest deposit of Gypsum anywhere in the world. Close by is the Trinity test site for the first nuclear explosion in 1945.

Let me sum it up..... HUGE expanse of white gypsum sand, desert topography, and residual nuclear fallout combine to cause loss of reason. This loss of reason is evidenced by people staying in Alamogordo!

P.S. Is there a thread subject that cannot be reduced to God vs. No god? Just wondering.
Link Posted: 1/4/2002 12:42:06 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

P.S. Is there a thread subject that cannot be reduced to God vs. No god? Just wondering.
View Quote

I dunno.

What does the Bible say???

[;)]

Link Posted: 1/4/2002 12:43:41 PM EDT
[#41]
OK , Let me understand this? I write a book he doesn't like. He then buys lots of my books, and burns them. OK! So I get my money and he keeps warm, mighty expensive fire wood.
Link Posted: 1/4/2002 12:48:15 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
OK , Let me understand this? I write a book he doesn't like. He then buys lots of my books, and burns them. OK! So I get my money and he keeps warm, mighty expensive fire wood.
View Quote

Its called capitalism, baby!!!!!!!!

If Rowling REALLY wants to make some quick cash, all he/she needs do is fill a book with lots of blank pages, except for one that says "Witchcraft is fun for all ages" and sell LOTS of them to the book burners.

Link Posted: 1/4/2002 1:12:43 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

Its called capitalism, baby!!!!!!!!

If Rowling REALLY wants to make some quick cash, all he/she needs do is fill a book with lots of blank pages, except for one that says "Witchcraft is fun for all ages" and sell LOTS of them to the book burners.

View Quote

Thats right and theres a bookstore owner in Alamagordo thinking "man these were sellin like hot cakes --last week ??? "
And Rowling is laughing all the way to the bank !!
Link Posted: 1/4/2002 2:37:35 PM EDT
[#44]
And the point of this thread is???

People are entitled to burn their own property.  That's guaranteed under the First Amendment.  Yes, burning the US flag can be considered "expression."  I don't have to agree with it, but that's life.  BTW: the correct method for disposing of an old flag is burning.  The local VFW and Legion halls hold flag 'retirement' ceremonies on Flag Day.  On the other hand, if you start burning other people's property, that's tyranny.

The point the good Pastor is trying to make is silly, as he padded the pocket of the author by purchasing the book to burn.
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top